• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Successful war!!!

But another border with France?!?!

It seems you're just asking for a war with the French.

I almost hope you release a Moslem Brittany and Netherlands :D

And its only 1430 - at this rate, by the dawn of the 16th century, we'll see a reunited Spain!

Any thoughts on taking the New World?

A very good AAR! Have just started to follow but it's most impressive what you have achieved so far. Now let's hope that military access is enough to keep the French from attacking you! :)

This is a fun AAR, I am interested to see where you go with it. I would actually try to work on converting before colonisation, but that is just me. Who knows, you may even have the money for both, especially if you snag Europe's other wealthy urban area: North Italy.

Chapter 8: Granada - Total war (1432-1443)

europa_EU3_MAP_GRA_1432.7.24_1.bmp

The situation in Europe, 24 july 1432.

Just after the war was fnished, Algiers broke their alliance with us. They didn't want to have to fight another war: They were growing tired of coming to my aid every time and gaining nothing from it.

eu38a.jpg

Algiers broke their alliance with us.

The kingom of Granada had grown quite large the past decades. A large country requires an efficient administration, so I decided to install another form of government. Granada was ready to become an empire, and I was crowned padishah Muhammad VIII, the king under the kings. Everyone had to recognise the power that had risen from the Iberian peninsula, a power that would change the face of the world.

eu38b.jpg

All hail the padishah, who lifted our kingdom to become an empire.

International politics wet into turmoil when it became know that England had annexed Scotland at 13 march 1435. What would come from this? Would England rise as a world power? Only time could tell.

eu38c.jpg

England has annexed Scotland.

In the mean time, in Eastern Europe also wars were beeing fought. Bohemia rose as a power. The past decades it had defeated Hungaria, and conquered quite some parts of it. Now Austria was its victim. Would Bohemia dominate the eastern part of Europe?

eu38d.jpg

Bohemia establishes itself as a power base in eastern Europe.

While this was all playing, I had problems of my own. Aragon had made an alliance with England, so if I would try to take that country, I would have to face the English might. But I was preparing for that. Ships were beeing build, so I could invade the Brittish isles, men were beeing positioned at the borders of their European territories. But beside this looming war, there were quite some rebel uprisings. Not everyone agreed with my rule. In Hainaut rebels rose up. I beat them there, but they regrouped in Artois and kicked my armies out of there. They established a base of operation from there, gained a core on that province. My armies struck back and defeated them eventually, but this surely was a slab in my face.

eu38e.jpg

Hautautian rebels capture Artois.

My forces were crushing those rebel uprisings, but the dissatisfaction wasn't limited to the peasants. The Clergy spoke theire dissatisfaction, and demanded that we'd focus more on religion. I had to agree with them, or else they would rout all their philosophers, and organise a philosopher uprising. I couldn;t have that, my father had savely put them away. So our nation became a step more narrowminded.

eu38f.jpg

Yay, the first step towards narrowmindedness.

The preparations for the last invasion of Aragon came to fruitation. I station 6,000 muslim archers at their border, who would easily overcome their 1,000 men. Their allies, Brittany and England, would be a larger problem. Brittany had an Iceland colony, which I would ceize when the war would start. I also stationed 6,000 men at their border on the continent. An equal number of troops were stationed near Calais, and I had asked my ally Connaught if I could attack England from their territory, which they allowed. With my boats near, I could easily cross the sea and invade their homeland.

eu38g.jpg

The war is about to start.

Then, on 7 october 1437, I declared war on Aragon. The final battle was about to begin.
To my surprise, Brittany took the lead in the war. I would have expected England to do that, but no. Well, in that case I had to fight England even harder. It would be a hard fight, but my military might was greater.

eu38h.jpg

England has less men than Granada.

My men invaded Meath, while Connaught sended their men to Ulster. I easily defeated the English armies stationed in Meath and Calais. But then something I didn;t count on happened: 12 days after the war had started, Portugal declared war. I hadn;t had any men at their border, so I would have to divert them from elsewhere. Castille and Brabant supported them in the war. So now I faced having to faight half western Europe at once. I was just glad I didn't have to fight France too, since then things would look really grim. Also, Algiers cancelled the military access they gave me.

eu38i.jpg

Portugal declares war.

The first success came when I seized Brittanies Icelandic colony, and shortly thereafter defeated the troops they had at that island. Now my men were free to enter the war elsewhere. I sended them to the Netherlands, where they had to help fight Brabant.
On the 5th of november, my armies defeated Brittanies forces near their homeland. That was going as planned, and now my troops were able to enter the English provinces that were laying next to Brittany.
In the mean time, my men entered Brabant. Brabant had 13,000 men, which they had all send to Zeeland, leaving their homeland unprotected. I would use the same tactics my fatehr had used to defeat Castille: sneak behind their back with a lesser army, and occupy their entire country.
When things couldn't go any more bad, I thought, Algiers insulted me. Why, by the beard of Muhammad, why? I think I will face a war with them soon. First they break our alliance, then they refuse my troops to enter their domain, and finally they insult me. If my troops weren't so caught up elsewhere, I would teach them.

eu38j.jpg

Algiers insults me!

England sended quite a lot of men to stop my siege of Meath, but they failed. They also sended 1,000 men to lay siege on Holland. I would have kicked them out of there if I could only reroute some men... I had to wait untill the Icelandic battles were over.
Then, at 1 januari 1438, I found out what those Algerian swines were after all along: they made an outrageous claim to my throne! How dare they. War was now certainly inevitable.

eu38k.jpg

Algiers claims my throne.

The Enlish sended something like 13,000 men to Meath, but my cavalery was able to beat them. They fled towards Ulster, where my Connaught allies were laying siege with only 1,000 men. I had to send quite some horses over there, to save them from English destruction. My armies were doing a great job. From the 21,000 men the English army originally had, only 8,000 survived this first month.
The war with Algiers was inevitable: on 3 februari 1438 they declared war. Now I was really at war with almost all my neightbours.

eu38l.jpg

Algiers declares war.

The planned war against Aragon, Brittany and England was going betetr than expected. Their armies were beeing beaten, their provinces were under siege. But the war with Portugal didn't went that well. Since I didn;t have any armies nearby, Portugal managed to occupy some provinces.
Of course, Algiers cancelled our Trade agreement. That wasn't such a surprise, after all they had done these past few months.
While the war was in full progress, something happend with Switzerland. They had fought their freedom from Bourgondy, and annexed their former lords. But the history repeated: Lorraine foughtfor their freedom from Switzerland, and annexed that entire country! Really, this war brings strange things. And also nice: Tirol has separated from Austria, to form their own country.

eu38m.jpg

Switzerland transformed into Lorraine.

Things raged on. While My armies were busy trying to defeat Brabant, England secretly seized my freshly acquiered Icelandic colony. I'd had to take it back.
Finally, on 10 november 1438, I occupied Aragon and demanded its full annexation. They agreed: one player in this war down, six to go.

eu38n.jpg

Aragon has been completely annexed.

Halfway November I occupied Ulster, and sended my men towards Iceland, to recapture that colony.
Due to the fact that my men were spread out over Europe, and my African corps was bust occupying Algiers, some rebels saw their change and occupied Figuig. I hope to be on time to take it back, before they join up with Morocco!

eu38o.jpg

I've seen this too often now: rebels who occupy a province.

After one year of battle, I finally made peace with Brittany, the leader of one of the three wars I was in. I had planned to annex them, but as time flies, plans change. I didn;t occupy them, but used them to gain some of the English provinces I had occupied. I demanded from Brittany:

Cede Calais, Saintonge, Gasgogne and Meath. Also, renouce your claims on Finistère and Morbihan. Finally, pay 50 ducats.

Because Brittany was the leader of this war, England could do nothing to prevent me from taking five of their provinces. I would annex Brittany another time. My men would now be concentrated on bringen Brabant down on its knees. There were now two down, but there were still four countries to go.

eu38p.jpg

After Brittany accepted peace by handing over English provinces, my northern domain looked like this.

With my cavalery freed from the war with England, they arrived in Holland and rode towards Brabant, where they dealt the final blow to the Brabantian army. After that army was wiped off the face of the earth, they went back to the Iberian peninsula, where I really needed them. Things were going bad over there.
It took quite a while, but finally I occupied the last provinces from BRabant and was able to make some heavy demands:

Cede Brabant and Limburg. Also, end the vassalization of Luxemburg. Finally, pay 50 ducats.

They accepted on 2 august 1439. How could they do else? The Brabantian diplomats were now really regretting that they had supported the Portugal invasion: not only did they lose their entire army, they also lost almost all of the provinces, their vassals and a nice lump sum of money.
With Brabant out of the war, I had to concentrate on only three more contries. Things were looking bright again. The armies from the north would all travel south to support the battles over there.

eu38q.jpg

After Brabants defeat, the Netherlands looked like this.

But while things in the north went very well afterwards, things in the far south were still not alright. I was doing fine in Algiers, I had almost occupied the entire country, but the Berber rebels were still roaming freely. They occupied Sus in august.
When things are getting well, things are really fine. I recieved in januari news that there was more taxes to be collected than was estimated. That was good to hear, certainly now that I entered the final stages of the war.

eu38r.jpg

Good news indeed: for four months I would get a +2,5 % bonus on my tax. Woohoo!

I was crushing Portugal beneith my feeth: their armies were beeing destroyed and I layed siege on all the provinces they had occupied, and even their own. But in the mean time, Berber rebels occupied Ceuta. And it didn;t stay with that. On 1 june 1440, Figuig defected to Algiers. Luckily I was winning there, and my men were starting to become available. But it wasn't nice, seeing your province slip away. And besides, rebels also occupied Tangiers.

eu38s.jpg

Allahdamned... Those rebels joined Algiers!

My armies were sweeping across Iberia, but the diplomats from Foix were not quite happy with that. They were even more unhappy when a border dispute broke loose. I claimed their land, and they refused to aknowledge that. They had every reason to declare war on me. But would they do that?

eu38t.jpg

Boundry disputes... We'll see if they will do anything about it.

The war with Algiers seemed to last forever. But finally it was over. I sended my diplomats to negotiate some heavy truce:

Cede Figuig, Oran, Tlemhen, Aures, Biskra and Constantine. Also, renouce your claims on Sas, Tangiers and Ceuta. Finally, pay 75 ducats.

This gave me almost entire Algiers: I was glad that this war was over. Another one down, two to go. But wait, my armies couldn;t join togetehr yet: There were still a lot of rebels roaming freely in Africa. They had to be dealt with first. I couldn;t be on time every time: Ceuta still defected to Algiers. I think that will mean that there will be another war with Algiers one time.

eu38u.jpg

Algiers lost the war, as you can see. But my armies had still some tasks to do.

One of my advisors, Ausiàs de la Riba, was the one who had established the peacedeals. He was well know throughout the country, and now trhoughout Europe. His reputation did very well, and helped my empire to stabilize and have a better reputation among the nations. I gained 2 stabilty, 2 diplomats and lost 6 reputation.
As a result, I didn't need my stabilizing advisors anymore, so I fired them by throughing them off the rock of Gibraltar. I hired two new advisors who could really help me to advance more, to beat others on a technological level. Although a few months later I fired Muhammad Ibn Abd Allah also, and hired Firdaus Ibn Muhammad, a extreme good statesman.

eu38v.bmp

Tariq Ibn Ysuf and Muhammad Ibn Abd Allah are two advisors who will help me to speed up techhnological research. After a few months I replaced Muhammad by Firdaus, a level 6 statesman, giving a +18 on government tech investments.

The war was almost an an end. When I look back at my achievements, I see a lot. I raised my country to the modern age, I established the empire and could call myself padishah. But, I realised, that wasn;t enough. If I wanted total controll, I would need the mosques to follow me too. So I went to the religious leaders, and said to them: 'Make me Kalifa, or I'll release my philosophers on you!' They couldn't imagine the horrors the philosophers would do to them after beeing locked up for fourty years. So they gave me the power to lead the religion in my country. I became padishah kalifa Muhammad VIII.

eu38w.jpg

Getting a Kalifa gives me a missionaris chance of +5 % and a yearly prestige of +1 %. It also does rais my stability cost with +8 %, but since I'm already on a stability of +3, I could coop with that.

The war came to an end at the dawn of 1443. Toledo fell, and I thus demanded from Castille:

Cede Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria, Badajoz and Caceres. Also, pay 50 ducats.

By doing this, I took their last coastal provinces. No more Castillian fleet!
After my diplomats returned, I immediately sended them to Portugal, with these demands:

Cede Porto. Renouce your claims on Beira, Alentejo, Algarve and Brangança. Finally, pay 75 ducats.

Portugal accepted on 3 januari 1443. These wars would make me rich! But well, these richness is relative. I spend it as hard as I get it. but now the wars were finally over, and I could concentrate on crushing the Berber rebels.

eu38x.jpg

The Iberian peninsula after my peacedeal with Astille and Portugal.

Some sidenotes:
Euro007: France... Well, I'll see how things devellop. But there is indeed a large change that I will once go to war with them, to connect my european territories. I'm especially interested in getting the entire westcoast.
Warpimp: The successes aren't that hard anymore: the countries are small compared to me. England was large, I admit, but actually was no match: I slaid 2/3rd of its army in one month! France will be quite another story. But I'm not yet ready for that.
Mike von Bek: To form Spain, I need Toledo, the capital of Castille. That's the last province of Castille I can grab, so I need the entire Iberian peninsula to form Spain. But I need cores on the needed provinces, so after I will acquire Toledo, I have to wait 50 years to get the core. Indeed, I think that Spain will form at the dawn of the 16th century :). It happened normally in 1516, so I'm not that far off.
piff133: The problem is, that all those catholics in my country are not heretics, but heathens. Only Shiites are heretics in my sunnite eyes, and I can find the shiites in Persia. I'm very far away from Persia, so an idea that would give me a +2 on tolerance for heretics, isn't that usefull for me.
Enewald: I'm certainly go first for colonization, then the inquisition. During this chapter, I got an event that put my slider one place towards narrowmindedness and I was able to do one myself, but still I'm actually losing missionarisses per year. I'm at -3 now, and I need 1 to effectively begin the inquisition. I think that somewhere in the 16th century I can start it, but by then I hope to have discovered the Americas. And pillaging Rome is indeed on my wishlist ;).
comagoosie: I was surprised at the expansion of the Swiss, but I'm more surpised at how the lost their freedom again!
Rodrico Stak: Maybe I'll let them do some fish slapping when they enter England ;).
Qorten: Thanks! I'm surprised by my success too. I was really lucky that first war. And yes, for now I hope those French won't attack me. They still have more men than me (although I could support over 70,000 at the moment!)
asd21593: Welcome :D. I was looking at the possibilities when I just got IN, and then I saw that it was possible as Granada to form Spain. That opened the possibility to an Islamic Spain.
spl: If you don't mind, I wait a little longer ;). Paris will be the last province of France to fall. But it would certainly be great to have the Notre Dame Mosque.
Colonel Bran: Hehe, I think he would refuse to be born in my game ;). But for now the people are still catholic. Just wait till the time I can convert them to the Islam. Thén he would die.
Sweboy: Yes, it is possible, but not easy (although it is going very smoothly for me now...). You only need quite a lot of provinces from Aragon and Castille, and get cores on them.
Cyrus_The_Great: Since I need more narrowmindedness before I could start the inquisition, I think that I will go for colonization first. But you gave me a very good idea there: North Italy is indeed a nice spot, and within reach of the arms of the padishah. Genua has a nice trade centre, like Venice. Maybe I'll just snatch the Genua trade centre first, and then try to reach Venice by land conquest :).

This was quite some update! I hope that you won't mind the length. If you do, please say so. And by the way, I posted this post in two because I had too many pictures in this post.
I write these chapters during the game: everytime something interesting happens, I make a screenshot and write it down. This way it is a surprise for me too. The moment I post this chapter, I actually just made peace with Portugal. I now have to face the Berber rebels (which won't be a problem now that my entire army is available).

Last edited:
Monnikje said:
This was quite some update! I hope that you won't mind the length. If you do, please say so.
My good sir, I think I can speak for all of us readers when I say that long updates are excellent, and this last update was no exception, well done! :cool:

Only one nitpick - the title of Padishah is Persian, and was never used in the Muslim states of Iberia. But that is probably an error in the game, so it is of little consequence.

I like the restoration of the caliphate though. :cool:

And the update length was fine for me.

I am sure that with your capable leadership, the French won't stand a chance.

It's a good idea to take their coastal provinces. The less the competition in the new world, the better.

woohoo, the Kalifate is rising!

Remember to unite the islam. :p

and revenge the loss against franks which happened somewhere in the early medieval...

EUROO7 said:
I am sure that with your capable leadership, the French won't stand a chance.

It's a good idea to take their coastal provinces. The less the competition in the new world, the better.

Unlikely now- the only people with Coastal provinces after he's done with Iceland, Ireland England, Portugal and France will be the German minors and Scandanavia- which are rather far away from the new world.