• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 9: Conquest of Iberia (1443-1450)

europa_EU3_MAP_GRA_1443.1.3_1.bmp

The situation in Europe, 3 januari 1443.

After the Total war with seven nations, I had to restore order. I therefor sended my cavalery to North Africa, where they could smash the Berber rebels. I had also some uprisings in the Netherlands, especially in Limburg. Luckily I had some men there to keep busy till my cavalery could arrive there.
I trained another 8,000 cavalery, bringing the total on 20,000 horses. With the help of this fast army, I was able to control the uprisings and crush them. It took me two years, but then finally order had been restored.

eu39a.jpg

With the help of my enormous cavalery, I was able to crush the uprisings.

While I had crushed the English army a few years ago, Scottish rebels saw their chance, and fought for independance. In februari 1445 they managed to get what they wanted: once again an independant state in Aberdeen. But their joy wasn't for long: Half a year later the English struck back and recaptured the province.
During peacetime, a lot of things can happen. I had unfortunately bad vintage, but on the other hand, the serves got exploited very well. Also, Firdaus Ibn Muhammad, my statesman advisor, made a breakthrough on the ideas of politics and started to teach my administration the fine details of it. And when some businessmen heared about this new wave of politics, they decided to support my administration and give me 300 ducats. That was quite handy: Now I was able to enhance my fleet.

eu39b.jpg

Firdaus Ibn Muhammad helps me to understand the fine details of government.

Now that my goal was reached, conquering Aragon, I changed focus. The trade center in Lisboa would be nice to have, but I was still under a truce with Portugal. With whom was it allied? Brabant and England. If it was possible, I wanted to avoid a war with England at the moment. So that left Brabant. Brabant was allied with Luxembourg, Savoy and Portugal. Brunswick protected the country, as Holy Roman Emperor. Excelent. I readied my troops and on 1 februari 1446 I declared war on Brabant.
Savoy was the greatest challenge: With 8,000 men and a fleet of three ships they formed the largest threat. That´s why I sended my cavalery towards them. The Brabantian army was defeated within days and I started the siege. The Luxembourgian army sneaked awa, but therefor didn+t prevent me from laying siege on their country. The Portuguese armies were, like those of Brabant, easily defeated, so without any problems I laid siege on Lisboa. Brunswick sended some men to lay siege on Limburg. Well, let them play over there. I will send my men from BRabant and Luxembourg as soon as they were finished conquering those countries.
The first country to fall was BRabant. On 1 june 1446, after 4 months of war, the siege succeeded and I annexed the country.

eu39c.jpg

Brabant has been annexed.

My troops were rerouted to Limburg, where they attacked the men from Brunswick. In the mean time I asked Münster if my men could travel through their lands: that way I could reach Brunswick. They agreed.
Further south, my men occupied Nice. The war with Savoy was going well. This entire war was a piece of cake.
At 16 september 1446 I both occupied Portugal and Luxembourg, so I demanded from both countries their total annexation. They accepted, and my realm expanded once more.

eu39d.jpg

Luxembourg has been annexed.

With the province of Lisboa added to my empire, I also got the trade center. I immediately dispatched all my merchants, so I could profit from it.

eu39e.jpg

Portugal has been annexed.

While the war continued with just Savoy and Brunswick, some astonishing news reached me: Denmark inherited the throne of Norway. This means that Denmark becomes a northern power to be reconned with. What will their neightbour, Sweden, say of it?

eu39f.jpg

Denmark inherited Norway.

At 24 december 1446, the Ssiege of Piedmont was over. There was only one province left before I had Savoy down on its knees. After the Savoy army was destroyed one month later, that didn't formed to be a big problem.
On the 1st of april 1447 Brunswick fell, and on the 23th that month Hannover shared its fate. Now Brunswick was completely occupied, and I had these demands for peace:

Become a vassal and pay 50 ducats.

I could have demanded the province Brunswick, but it would have laid solely in the middle of all those German territories. No, I'd preferred to vassalize the Holy Roman Emperor.
When the other German nations learned of this fact, the immediately elected a new emperor. King Leopold VIII Wilhelm, king of Austria, would be the new Holy Roman Emperor.
Finally, on 14 june 1447, Savoie fell and I could lay my demands for Savoy on the table:

Cede Nice, become a vassal and pay 125 ducats.

With the capture of Nice, I had a nice stepping stone towards the trade center of Liguria. But that was something for the future. For now I had to concentrate on conquering Castille. If I would get them, I would own the entire Iberian peninsula.

eu39g.jpg

It's nice to have Nice.

With these wars done, I wasn't finished. Castille was still free. Something had to be done about it. But it was allied with France, so if I declared war on it, I would have also war with France. Couldn't have that, so I used the same tactic I used with Portugal.
First, I had to prepare. I had to position my troops. Since Austria was the new Holy Roman Emperor, I needed to station quite a lot of troops over there, at their border. So I asked Lorraine and Tirol if my troops could move through their territory, which they allowed. With all the pieces put in place, I was ready for another war.
By the end of september, there was an innovation wave throughout the country. Everywhere people became smartasses and got great ideas. I had to profit from that.

eu39h.jpg

An innovation wave boosts technology.

At 1 januari 1448 I declared war on Gelre. It was allied with Utrecht and Castille, and protected by Austria, so I was at war with them too. My troops were in position, so I quickly marched into all teratories.
As I had expected, Gelre and Utrecht didn't proved to be much of a challenge. I beat their armies and laid siege. I hadn;t put much manpower in the campaign against castille. It wasn;t necessary: Their army went away to lay siege on one of my provinces, while I attacked all their provinces at once. The real problem was Austria, where I had sended 32,000 men.
The Austrians pulled back, so they didn't have to face my cavalery. They trained quite a lot of units on the fly, but I was able to kill them all seperately. By pulling their armies back, they were able to attack Luxembourg. But their main forces were just regrouping in Wien, so they could strike back very hard. Luckily my cavalery was able to withstand them.
The first country to fall, was Utrecht: on 19 august 1448 they accepted full annexation.
The second country I totally occupied, was Castille. But since they were the leaders of their alliance, I didn't made a peacedeal with them. Yet.
Unfortunately some of my ships sunk in the Adriatic sea. A storm had arisen and they were caught in it. Next time I would have to pay closer attention to them.
The war in Austria wasn't going well. My cavalery wasn't doing fine in the Alps, and their army was able to push me back into Tirol. But on the other side of Europe, things were going a lot betetr. I occupied Gelre, and annexed them on 24 september 1448.

eu39i.jpg

Utrecht and Gelre have been added to my Dutch territory.

It seemed that I just wasn;t able to conquer Austria: Their men were too powerfull in those mountains. So finally I made the peacedeal with Castille:

Cede Salamanca and Madrid. Renounce your claims on Galicia, Asturias, Léon, Vizcaya, Pirineo, Castilla La Vieja, Badajoz and Almería. Also, pay 50 ducats.

They accepted on 2 januari 1449. The only province they had left was Toledo: I needed to get that one to. One more war.
I noticed that in the mean time, Cornwall had separated itself from England. First Scotland, now Conrwall... Those English were having a hard time keeping their country together.
On 14 march 1449, I declared war on Friesland. They were allied with Castille, and this way I could quickly conquer the Iberian peninsula. And also gain one more Dutch province. They were also protected by Austria. Let's hope it will go better this time, else I will have to be satisfied with a white peace.
Toledo fell quite fast: on 29 juli 1449 I occupied the city, a day later I annexed it. The Iberian peninsula was finally in my posession.

eu39j.jpg

The entire Iberian peninsula under Granadan control.

A few months later, on 1 ocotber 1449, Friesland fell and a day later that country was anexed too. Save for Liège, I had conquered the Netherlands.

eu39k.jpg

The Netherlands are almost entirely under muslim control.

My armies weren't able to crush the Austrian military, so I needed to get a white peace as fast as possible. As soon as one of my diplomats was available, I sended him towards Austria with the offer. On 3 februari 1450 they accepted white peace.

eu39l.jpg

The wars are finally over!

Some sidenotes:
germanpeon: Good to hear that you all like the long updates :). I will try to keep te good work up.
rcduggan: Padishah is indeed the title the game gave me when I transformed my 30+ province country into an empire. And yes, it is great to have the caliphate back.
EURO007: That's indeed the idea behind getting the coastal provinces. If I get them, I only have to worry about English colonists. I guess I have to do something about that too.
Enewald: If islamic countries keep on declaring war on me, they will indeed be united :). And I will surround those Franks, and crush them in due time.
comagoosie: Thanks! Thinks were really looking bad when all those wars happened at once, and quite a lot of rebels got on the loose too. But I managed to make a victory out of it :).
Cordoban Inca: If I succeed, the New World will indeed be wide open to me. But we'll see if I manage that. England will a great challenge, and let's not forget France.

I annexed just before 1450 the last province needed to form Spain. Now I need to wait 50 yars, so by the end of 1499 I would be able to form Islamic Spain. A few years before the real Spain would have been formed.
I almost got the Benelux, so I need to conquer Liège. But I also need Brittany, to create an Islamic westcoast. But for now my reputation is quite bad: I need to lower that.

Last edited:
And Iberia is united again!!!

So Spain will be formed before the end of this century. Very nice for a three province minor! :D

Wow, really nice job. Now in real life I would expect all of Spain to be in rebellion by now :p , but this game isn't real life.

Anyhow, I can't wait to see the next update, and where you bring Spain next. Time to set foot in the new world?

I cant wait for the formation of Islamic Spain!

Also, could we see a religious overview of your Empire, and the status of conversions?

The Netherlands in Saracen hands? :wacko: I wonder how long it will be until the rest of Europe falls.

This is excellent. I could never do much more than hold off Castille when I tried this, but you're doing absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see a Muslim Europe.

Chapter 10: His last war (1450-1456)

europa_EU3_MAP_GRA_1450.2.3_1.bmp

The situation in Europe, 3 februari 1450.

Just after the wars had ended, the sultan of Algiers died. With no heirs to the throne, their nobles saw only one sulution: ask me to rule their nation to, in a personal union. I had to exploit this.

eu310a.jpg

A personal union with Algiers.

At 22 june 1450 there was an agricultural revolution in Meath, giving me 50 ducats and 2 base tax in that province.
I hired a new advisor, Heinrich Talken, who would help me to improve my reputation among the nations. That was indeed necessary, since it was extreme bad after the conquest of Iberia.
Then, at 3 may 1451, my colony in Akureyri, Iceland, had gronw to a full-grown province. Of course I immediately builded a wall to protect it against those English neightbours.

eu310b.jpg

My first colony, although conquered, has grond to a real province.

The riots across my country still hadn't ceased: once in a while a group stood up and started a revolt. There was a group of wise men who wanted to help me getting them more under controll, but I had to cease a little bit of power. I didn;t saw much choice, so on 2 july 1451 I passed the dissolution act.

eu310c.jpg

The dissolution act, who not only let me lose 3 reputation, but also gives me a national revolt risk of -1. Unfortunately, my production efficiently got a -5 % hit.

While I was still rebuilding my army and restoring order in the empire, I hired an even better reputation advisor. My reputation now improved very fast.

eu310d.jpg

With the aid of Stephen Suffolk, my reputation would indeed improve very much.

Then it became may 1453. There was a political breakthrough, people started to think to explore. The idea was there, but we needed to concentrate for the moment more on intern squabbling before we really could set sail towards other places.
I took the national idea 'Quest for the new world'. I could switch the church attendancy to colonial ventures, to get +1 colonists (I currently gain 0 per year), but then I would get a stability hit of -3. It would take at least 70 years to crawl back to my current +3, and I could select a new idea at government tech 11... I can wait.

eu310e.jpg

For my next idea, I took quest for the New World.

Then, in november 1453, I finally started to get cores on provinces. The empire had conquered fast lands, but to really accept them as part of my empire, I had to wait. Now the time had come to accept my fathers conquests.

eu310f.jpg

Finally I started to gain cores on provinces.

Things were finally settling down. Rebels were beeing crushed and the Castillian culture became a part of our own. They were just like real people.

eu310g.jpg

The Castillian culture has been accepted.

At 11 may 1454 I decided that it was time to enter a new war: the war to unite the Netherlands, and also claim Brittany in an attempt to gain control of the entire westcoast.
The target I had in mind, was Liege. They had two provinces, so I would have to make twice war to them, or to their allies. They were allied with Brittany, Avignon, Münster and... Connacht, also my ally. Connacht would have to choose: Would they support me in my quest for glory, or would they come to the aid of their christian brothers? O, and we should not forget that Asutria still protects Liege, but well, I'm not sending my men there again. Let them come to me. And I just noticed: Lorraine protects Liege as well. Well, I will send my men over there as soon as they are finished doing Brittany, Münster and Liege.
Maybe not ethical, but since Lorraine granted me military access, I stationed 20,000 cavalery in Bourgogne. The moment I declared war on Liege and Lorraine came to their aid, I had my men already on their territory, ready to strike down on their forces.
When the war had begun, Lorraine took the leadership. And Connacht supported me. They were wise in doing so, else I would have sended some units to conquer them.
The Münster army didn't put up much of a fight. I sended 6,000 men down there, and within 10 days, including the march, the 3,000 men of Münster laid dead on the battlefield.
The men from Liege and Lorraine were easily defeated to: I had sended enough men towards them. I just needed to finish them off.
Brittanies forces were equally easy to defeat: Their 1,000 men were slain in an instant, and my men laid siege on their single remaining province.
The battle for Avignon took quite long, almost four months. But this was just the beginning. The city had a level 3 ford: that would take like eternity to lay siege on. But I had to try.
On 13 november 1454 I won the siege of Liège. I still was busy fighting their army, but this gave hope for a swift end soon.
The battle with Lorraine didn't went well after all: The Austrians came to their help, and slaughtered most of my cavalery. I really need to have peace with them soon. Since the Austrians have an almost as large army as the French, the show me that I'm certainly not yet ready for a war with France.
On 29 december I won the siege of Osnabrück. The men I had stationed there, were rerouted to Münster, to aid them in their siege. Münster would fall soon.
Exactly one month after my success in Osnabrück, the city of Valenciennes fell. Now I was able to make my demands to Liege:

Cede Valenciennes and pay 100 ducats.

I could have turned them into a vassal, but that would only hinder my next war against them. So I was satisfied with this result.
The Austrian army occupied Luxembourg, and marched on. The only way I could stop them was with a white peace, but that was not something they would fall for. But Lorraine might. So I had to concentrate on conquerring Lorraine.
The last Münster resistance was broken on 20 march 1455. I occcupied their last province and demanded:

Cede Osnabrück, become a vassal and pay 50 ducats.

They accepted one day later. Since I hadn't much plans for Münster anyway, I could easily vassalise them. And Osnabrück was at my Dutch border, so it would be a nice addition, certainly with their salt mines.

eu310h.jpg

The netherlands: Liege and Münster both are out of the war, but Austria is still a pain in the ass.

Less than a month later, Vendée fell. I totally annexed Brittany, thus connecting my two colonies at the French westcoast. I now had to connect this with the Netherlands and Iberia, but that would mean a war with France. Later, something for later.

eu310i.jpg

Brittany has now be completely annexed.

The entire army was set into motion, was sent to occupy all the territories of Lorraine. Meanwhile the Asutrians swept accross the Netherlands, taking the leftovers from the Lorraine army with them, but giving them no terrain. That was positive.

The final act of the war had begun, but Muhammad VIII would not see the end of it. The excitement killed him. A fatal heart attack slain him down on the 8th of june 1455. After 38 years of rule, he had passed out. His son, Sa'd I, whom I will introduce in the next chapter, took over the war and finished it off. For now, I will finish this war.

My father passed away during the day, while he was taking important decissions about the war. Suddenly I, Sa'd I, had to take over. I wasn;t a genius like my father, but I understood the course he had taken, and the way he wanted to finish the war. So I continued occupying Lorraine.
On 28 june 1455 Avignon felt, and I demanded their full annexation, which they accepted one day later. Meanwhile, Austria accupied Nice, and had laid siege on Artois, and after Artois felt, they moved on to Vlaanderen. Lorraine laid siege on Calais. The Austrians also attacked the troops in Schwyz, but I was able to send fresh reinforements, since the Lorraine provinces fell one by one. Due to these reinforcements, I was able to withstand the Austrian attack.

eu310j.jpg

Thanks to the infantry reinforcements, my cavalery was just in the nick of time saved, and the siege of Schwyz would continue.

My vassal Sicily attacked Modena, which was in Austrian hands, and occupied it in the name of the great Granadan Empire. Meanwhile I occupied a lot more of Lorraine.
On 2 februari 1456 I took total control of Lorraine, and demanded from them:

Cede Bern, Schwyz, Modena and Franche-Comté.

Because Lorraine was the leader of the war, I could demand the occupied Austrian province. And I wanted the ironrich Swiss mountains. With this peacedeal, the war with Austria was also over.

eu310k.jpg

The Alps after the peacedeal.

Now I could finally lay my father to his last resting place, and prayed that I would do as well as he did.

muhammadviii.jpg

The achievements of padishah Muhammad VIII.

Some sidenotes:
EURO007: Yes, finally those catholics have been kicked out! Well, at least their rulers. Now I only need to convert the population back to the good old islam.
Cyrus_The_Great: Hehe, indeed. But ingame there are quite some uprisings all around my empire, which I have to crush constantly. But well, it will pass :). I plan to go to the New World, but I just need som more government tech. Give me a few more years...
germanpeon: Since I wasn't yet able to convert any christians into the islam, I thought it wasn't interesting yet. But as soon as I can make missionarisses, I will show regular views of the religious map mode.
rcduggan: It totally depends... I had quite some trouble with Austria, who indeed didn't fall. But maybe that was yet too eastward, and I should concentrate myself on the west.
Dafool: I will do my best :). As soon as I can convert, Europe won't be the same again.
Mike von Bek: Yes, I plan to do that through the French westcoast.
comagoosie: The next short-term goal is to unite the entire Netherlands, and prepare for a battle with France. While I prepare for that, I will try to seize more of Lombardia, and of course I'll try to get to colonization as soon as possible.
asd21593: Thanks! All my European territories, except for the original Granada provinces, are Christian. I just can;t convert them yet, I need to get more narrowminded for that. But I think that in the 16th century, when Spain has been formed, I can start to convert them all. I just need to slide that slider...

Next chapter I will introduce the new padishah, and give you some other mapviews. For now, I'm very tired. I'll be back tomorrow, I hope, with a new update.

Last edited:
Hilarious : - ), but i can't imagine that empire holding together for long! You're too dependant on military access with France

I'm sorry everyone, but this next chapter is really taking long. Not only to play, which I have to do at a very low speed, but also to think about what move I need to make next. To give you a hint of what will happen:
- Entire western Europe at war.
- The Netherlands finally conquered.
- France and England will both declare war on me.
- I will stand at the gates of Rome, but will not yet occupy it. Not yet...
I hope to finish this today, but it could happen that it will be tomorrow :(. Things are taking a lot of time.

Some sidenotes:
comagoosie: Well, my goals are actually quite simple: conquer the entire Iberian peninsula (which I have done) to form Spain (which I can do in 1499). Besides that, I'd like to have the entire Netherlands (Which I will have the next chapter), and recently I decided to get Lombardia to (which isn't on a high priority yet, but it will be). With these last two I got the rich parts of Europe. Also, I want to connect these parts. I therefor need to conquer the French coasts. Also, I want to make colonies, but that isn't ready yet. It will be within a few decades. And finally, I want to bring the islam to the conquered areas. I'm not after world conquest, but it would be nice if it happens (I guess not, but you'll never know). I got my goals in the first post of this topic. Whenever I got a new goal, or when I reach one, I update them. And well, everything I conquer inbetween is just nice ;).
Dafool: When I conquer rome, it will be a top priority to make it Sunni :).
Tjena Med Laxen: Indeed, it's a very weak position at the moment. I therefore hope to get the French coastal provinces. But I first have to win the war with them I'm currently in.

Arr, spoilers, but now im interested :D