• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
*Subscribes*

Fulcrumvale - Welcome aboard!

AlexanderPrimus - haha it may well happen, we may yet see a Britannicus!

EDIT - Forgot to say, update being written (doh)

That last update almost reminds me of the episode in Rome where Pullo steals the Treasury gold. I wonder if this ill-gotten gain will cripple Pyrrhus' ability to pay his men?

General_BT said:
That last update almost reminds me of the episode in Rome where Pullo steals the Treasury gold. I wonder if this ill-gotten gain will cripple Pyrrhus' ability to pay his men?

I keep meaning to thank you for introducing me to Rome, I've bought the big two season box set XD

Update incoming, though its sort of an interlude, so I may do another soon depending on whether dissertation allows..

I, Silvagenus - Concerning Pyrrhus and the Sea III

bannerisaarvg0.jpg

I, Silvagenus - Concerning Pyrrhus and the Sea III​

“Quinctius Curio, welcome” Julius Libo and Curio embraced. The Libo domus was one of the grandest in Rome, particularly the interior, the place was certainly spacious, though it did not seem so, for Curiowas one of the many invited to Julius Libo's celebration of the victory at Tarentum by the Consul Marcus Aemilius Barbula. Most of the upper echelons of Roman society attended, Barbula was still outside the walls of Tarentum, and some of the older members of the Senate still had business to attend to. The news was that the Greeks had been defeated across the campaign, in Ager Bruttius, Silvangensus had cut off the retreating armies from the sea and possible relief and had led to the surrender of over two thousand soldiers. Pyrrhus sat in Sicily, his navy had been shattered and forced into port for the time being, and he would get no relief from the Greeks. However, Barbula had managed the let the Greek army in Tarentum slip past him while he lay siege to the city. The Hellenes had taken their chance to ride north and strike into undefended Italy.

The talk in Rome was that Barbula would not last another term as Consul, indeed the celebration today served as a cover for certain members of the Senate to sound out a new Consul, and decide on a Legate for the new army being raised at this very moment. Hence Silvagenus's quick return. While Curio acted the diplomatic party guest, Silvagenus would barter for allies in the Senate, away from Julius Libo and his sister Julia.

“Ah, Julia, this is Curio, hero of the battle of Callipolis” Libo introduced them, though Curio needed no introduction, he had heard enough of her from Silvagenus over the years.

“Julia, It is an honour to meet the beauty of Rome” Curio stepped in and kissed her cheek. “It is to my greatest shame that we have not met before” He continued running his eyes over her.

“And mine also, I have been far too solitary since the death of my father”

The two made small talk, Curio embellishing his time with the fleet and Julia speaking of what had been happening in Rome. Curio made sure to keep his ear open for smatterings of conversation from around the room. Most talk was between Julius Libo and his various supporters as he jockeyed for the Consulship, some talked of the return of Silvagenus and his fabled spoils of war, others of Barbula and his unsuitability for the Consulship. The people of Rome are fickle. Barbula had won at Tarentum, but his inability to cut off and destroy the Greek army, thus endangering Rome had ruined his clean reputation. The Senate had voted to raise another army to defeat the remnants of the Greeks in Lucania.

“So what news of Silvagenus?” Julia brought Curio back to the conversation.

“Hmm? Oh yes, I think he had rather a fun time at sea, though regretfully he has business to attend to and has been busy since he returned.”

For Curio, the party did not last much longer, he stayed until after dinner then made his farewells to all. It wasn't that he didn't enjoy the company, more that he too had business to attend, Lucius would have finished his meeting with the senators at his own domus, and Lucius was depending on Curio for inside information on the Libo's and patricians of Rome.

Curio made his way across the Palantine hill to the Silvagenus domus. Not as grand as the Libo mansion, but still respectable enough for a man like Lucius. By the time he had reached it there was nothing but the night. Curio was let in by the household slaves and wandered through to Lucius's offices. There sat the Naval Legate, his slave Sophus stood behind him, etching notes into a wax tablet. Candles were scattered across the room, but the atmosphere seemed much more akin to a cold dark room. The murals on the wall were obscured by the night and only the scratching of stylus's and distant footfalls could be heard.

“Ahh Titus, come to see me at last” Lucius looked up at Curio.

“Its not right you know” Titus said as he sat down in a chair “You at a desk, its as if someone has caged you” He laughed.

“I can assure you my dear Titus, its quite the opposite, that gold we took has been invested”

“All of it?”

“Well no, booty for the men, a gift to Senate and the people of Rome, and I kept what was left” Lucius sealed a scroll of parchment and handed it to Sophus who placed it inside on of the many shelves behind him. Freed from his paperwork, Lucius stepped up from the desk and walked over to Titus.

“Olive oil, slaves, and horses. Anyway, how did the evening go?” Two slaves entered, one bringing a chair for Lucius, the other wine.

“Good news, Barbula seems to have lost his support amongst the Patricians, the upset from Lucania was enough to upset his position, his only true ally Libo has deserted him” Titus sipped at the wine, tasting it cautiously before knocking it back.

“Trouble is, Lucius, Julius Libo is planning on running for the Consulship, and he has support, if he is elected, you can say goodbye at commanding the 3rd Legion”

“Don't worry about it, I have allies, you've heard of Quintus Aemilius Papus?”

Titus nodded.

“He heads a good voting bloc, and has promised me the command if I marry his daughter Aemilia” Lucius gulped at his wine.

“Interesting tactic” Titus conceded.

“The marriage will advance my position in society, and with my extra wealth and recent victories I should have no trouble in taking the commission.”

Titus laughed “I had no idea you were so committed to the concept.”

“The marriage is entirely necessary for the advancement of my career” Lucius pointed out.

“Of course.”

“Which reminds me, how is Calpurnia and young Quinctius?”

“They're both very well, you should come and visit sometime.”

“You can depend on it my friend, once I've got this war out the way” Lucius smiled and warmed the cup with his hands.

“What's she like? Aemilia I mean.” Titus asked.

“No idea, I'll probably find out sometime, but I don't need to concern myself with that.”

“Not yet at least” Titus finished off his sentence for him.

Last edited:
Roman politics are very fickle indeed. A glorious stint as a Legionary commander might propel a career into preeminence; a poor showing could destroy it.

"there was nothing but the night" ROFL . Methinks this smatters of familiarity much . An excellent chapter XD from battle to politics , ahh the Imperial way XD

The return to the city of Rome brings us to the realities of Roman politics I see. A marriage might be a very good way of getting support and votes, but it might also be a move that can create trouble and difficult situations. But I am sure our friend knows what he is doing and with the help and support of his friends and the possible new alliance I think Roman politics are about to become even more interesting…

Marriage is a traditional support for power. It sounds like he is marrying well.

comagoosie - Bad for Barbula, great for the story :D

Fulcrumvale - Exactly, and in Rome, popularity is everything..

canonized - Haha! I couldn't leave the phrase out!

Lord E - Very true, Roman politics must be approached as a tightrope..

stnylan - It does, the marriage should bring him allies in the Senate, and a degree of respectability..

Wow! Great work! Great start, English Patriot!

Silvagensus seems to be modeled, somewhat, on Julius Caesar, yet the names I'm seeing sound like 474 AUC characters. Which time period is this, and have you really moved into Gallic territories as much as the impression I got from the beginning, or am I reading too much into this?

[EDIT: I re-read, and I was putting words in your mouth! :rolleyes: ]

I'll keep an eye on this!

Rensslaer

Glad to hear you're enjoying Rome (the TV series), and congratulations on Character WritAAR of the Week! This AAR is humming along nicely! Let's see what Lucius can do with a proper military command...

Congratulations old bean :D !!

Rensslaer - Yes Silvagensus does seem to be branching out into a Caesar-esque figure, it is 474BC, though by the time of Lucius's prologue at the beginning Rome has encroached on Bononia, which was a part of Alpine Gaul, I think the name was, it might be something else haha, but yes! Great to have you along!

General_BT - Thank you, we'll soon see!

Comagoosie & canonized - Thank you!

I'm starting on an update, it'll be up either tonight or tomorrow, and then its dissertation time :(

English Patriot said:
...Rome has encroached on Bononia, which was a part of Alpine Gaul, I think the name was, it might be something else haha, but yes!

It was Cisalpine Gaul :) Transalpine Gaul was the other side of the Alps.

Good AAR, i'm enjoying it long time, and you've barely started!

Just caught up from my usual haunts in the HoI forums! Very well done so far. You do very well in capturing the sense of life in Rome :) .