• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can reformation be triggered via event to simulate alternative reformation systems?
Yes, this is possible. I, in my main mod (Better Slavic Pagan Mod) created other system of reformation, based on decisions and events.

Another couple of questions if any dev feels like answering:

- How does Dogmatic's interfaith marriage blocker interact with the nomadic government's intermarriage feature, both when the nomad is Dogmatic and when a nomad is trying to set up a marriage with a Dogmatic ruler of a different faith?

- How does Cosmopolitan's intermarriage feature interact with other Natures' various levels of aversion to it? I assume Dogmatic rulers will refuse their offers, but will all other versions potentially accept intermarriage if they're bordering the Cosmopolitan ruler?

- Will Dogmatic rulers be able to marry heretics of their own faith (e.g. Old Whatevers being possible to marry for Dogmatic Whatevers), or is that as forbidden as completely unrelated religions and other branches in the same group? If not, is that possible to set up in a dynamic way?

- Partially related to the above questions, but is it possible to set up a dynamic intra-group Dogmatic marriage doctrine, e.g. making Catholics open to the idea of marrying all Christians but never open to the idea of marrying a non-Christian? Perhaps that's just the standard setup for non-Cosmopolitans, but currently the nomadic government's intermarriage feature overrides normal religious considerations and being able to potentially block stuff like that would be nice when modding.

With all these slick Pagan Reformation options compiled into a single list- I might not play as an non-Pagan ever again! :)
Honestly, since The Old Gods, I've only ever taken a break from playing Pagans to occasionally play Zoroastrian. And now I might not even do that one.

Actually kinda itching to do Slavic or Baltic Pagan and crush the Northern Crusades.

Honestly, since The Old Gods, I've only ever taken a break from playing Pagans to occasionally play Zoroastrian. And now I might not even do that one.

Actually kinda itching to do Slavic or Baltic Pagan and crush the Northern Crusades.

Crush? You mean send a Great Holy War back at those pesky christian right?

Well, that and holy war random duchies just to grind down Catholic MA.

I Approve! I alway find it hilarious when sometime for no apparent reason Catholic MA get completly tanked and Charlemagne Empire descend into religious chaos ( i think it mostly come from failed holy war when it happen to me)

- How does Dogmatic's interfaith marriage blocker interact with the nomadic government's intermarriage feature, both when the nomad is Dogmatic and when a nomad is trying to set up a marriage with a Dogmatic ruler of a different faith?

- How does Cosmopolitan's intermarriage feature interact with other Natures' various levels of aversion to it? I assume Dogmatic rulers will refuse their offers, but will all other versions potentially accept intermarriage if they're bordering the Cosmopolitan ruler?

I cannot check right now, but I seem to recall that Nomads still override it.
Cosmopolitan vs Dogmatic compatibility depends on which religion was reformed last.

- Will Dogmatic rulers be able to marry heretics of their own faith (e.g. Old Whatevers being possible to marry for Dogmatic Whatevers), or is that as forbidden as completely unrelated religions and other branches in the same group? If not, is that possible to set up in a dynamic way?
Dogmatic disables intermarry for any other religion, including the parent one.

- Partially related to the above questions, but is it possible to set up a dynamic intra-group Dogmatic marriage doctrine, e.g. making Catholics open to the idea of marrying all Christians but never open to the idea of marrying a non-Christian?
It can be modded, yes, intermarriage towards any religion or religious group can be enabled or disabled via Doctrine.

What happens if the AI does it ?
Does it make it randomly ? Can we see what it chose ?
The original religion and the Reformer's traits can influence the choice of the AI. When opening the Reformation tab in game, it will usually show the combination of features that your ruler would pick if he were an AI.

I cannot check right now, but I seem to recall that Nomads still override it.

Is there any chance that we might get some way to prevent intermarriage with nomads following a different religion (group), e.g. a "can_intermarry_with_nomads = yes/no" flag (defaults to yes) we can apply to various religions (or governments; both would be useful), alternatively a way to mod out that feature from the nomadic government (and possibly a way replace it with just a tolerance for intermarriage towards certain governments (e.g. a way to script it so that nomad-nomad is okay regardless of religion while other stuff is restricted based on the religion))? Even a simple (as far as moddability goes; I suppose the underlying code could make it a hassle to add) NOMAD_INTERMARRIAGE_ALLOWED = 1/0 in the defines would be good to have, though the ability to conditionally allow it would be very nice.

Cosmopolitan vs Dogmatic compatibility depends on which religion was reformed last.

Which side wins out? If I reform Dogmatic first, does some random religion get to overrule me when they reform a century down the line and pick Cosmopolitan? If I reform Cosmopolitan first, does some random religion that reforms later have to accept intermarriages with me even if they pick Dogmatic?

It can be modded, yes, intermarriage towards any religion or religious group can be enabled or disabled via Doctrine.

Just to clarify, does this mean you can script a semi-Cosmopolitan religion that forbids very specific intermarriages (e.g. forbidding Jains from intermarrying with Aztecs/Reformed Aztecs (or Bloodthirsty Gods religions in general, if that is possible to block) only) and a semi-Dogmatic religion that allows very specific intermarriages (e.g. intermarrying with their own heresies)?

Also, can we forcibly script some religion to never be overruled by Cosmopolitan (and nomads, if we get some way to block their default override) with a custom Doctrine (or Nature)?

The original religion and the Reformer's traits can influence the choice of the AI. When opening the Reformation tab in game, it will usually show the combination of features that your ruler would pick if he were an AI.
Ooh, that's interesting. I often enjoy seeing what the AI would do in my shoes (even if I might not necessarily do the same).

Ooh, that's interesting. I often enjoy seeing what the AI would do in my shoes (even if I might not necessarily do the same).

I just hope that if it's the case when you are Lunatic the pick are just a random assortment by defaut (i know there is a random button) i just imagine the council of [insert holy city of your religion] starting with :
"We thank our host for assembling this college of priest, and we will start puting into scripture our belief of old! do you have any input you'd like to provide us, after all , what we are accomplising wouldn't be possible without you."

"I'm Now the High Priest! Only women may rule from now on, we'll sacrifice men to the gods every thuesday, and we are now pacifist, so no more war!"

Is there a game rule to restrict the impact of traits/etc. for the AI to some extent (or even completely)? While some randomness could be fun, there are probably a bunch of things that would end up rather silly and immersion-breaking (e.g. a landlocked Bön reformer picking Sea-Bound, the Aztecs picking Peaceful under any circumstances, or the Norse not picking Sea-Bound (or Sons of Ragnarok, since it is part of that))...

Is there a game rule to restrict the impact of traits/etc. for the AI to some extent (or even completely)? While some randomness could be fun, there are probably a bunch of things that would end up rather silly and immersion-breaking (e.g. a landlocked Bön reformer picking Sea-Bound, the Aztecs picking Peaceful under any circumstances, or the Norse not picking Sea-Bound (or Sons of Ragnarok, since it is part of that))...

I'd mostly like for the AI to pick the "normal" reforms by default. A game rule about that would be nice. Although I have never actually seen the AI reform a religion without my direct interference.

I'd hope that Seafaring would check for coastal as one of the modifiers.

I imagine you see traits more coming into things like:
Lustful/chaste being more/less likely to allow concubines or polygamy
Zealous/cynical being more likely to pick dogmatic/cosmopolitan
Religions generally being more likely to pick their "unique" reform

and so on and so forth. I'd hope that the more unusual religious traits would be extremely rare anyway.

@Snow Crystal
Could we get some info on this? (is it paired with one of the speculated trait in the list, like allowing to tax infidel, or are its effect something that havn't been hinted at yet?)
Random World Religious Customization.png

Thanks

Also, a bit further aside, is it possible to mod the conditions for the Reform button in HF beyond the current defines, e.g. could we mod the holy site condition to "Has 3 holy sites OR 2 holy sites and realm size X OR 1 holy site and realm size Y OR realm size Z"?

yes, i had it so you only needed 1 site, but the number of sites you hold changes how the AI reacts and how many counties flip, as having 4 or more would cause counties other than capitals to flip. (also piety cost, but what ever)

to clarify, pressing the button has a check, that then fires an event, you can put an event in between to tell them, i'm sorry you don't have enough piety, etc.

@Silfae
is it possible to have religion names change based on their nature, etc. I can't remember how the game currently renames the old pagan to say "old germanic", and I won't be able to check for a while.

and while i'm at it, adding new religious doctrines, will i just add a weight to the feature for the AI to do it, or will i have ot edit some part of the reformation event?

Last edited:
I'd love to see what all the unique/religion specific reforms do.

Awesome ! :D

Now i'm pretty sure, you have made more doctrine than what you had when you first did the DD about Reformation (because the estimate given at the time has been passed, an i'm sure there still a lot we havn't even heard of) Which is amazing, keep it up you're making the best Expansion.

And thanks for the hard work!

*sneakily update the OP*