• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The thing is, Caste are heavily tied to Hindu mechanic, and are actually more a hindrance than anything else, and for Buddhist and Jain it barely serve as a small Prestige boost 90% of the time

tie it with some other beneficial mechanic such as a succession type, or make the caste traits more swiggity swoogity than the hindu ones.

how many doctrines have we still not seen, barring the unique ones? I’m just curious about how many more doctrines there are that we still don’t know about. Didn’t someone say there was a potential of thousands of different combinations given all the options?
In the DD where the new reformation was introduced they said "about 3000", with some of the "about" coming from a few mutually exclusive ones. We have seen 13 general plus 1 unique for every unreformed religion. If there are 15 general (i.e. we haven't seen 2), there are (6 natures)*(16 doctrines taken 2 at a time = 16*15/2)*(4 leadership)= 2880 choices. If there are 16 general, there are 3264. If there are 17 general there are 3672. If we assume that the 3 gender nature (eniatic clans, equality, and agnatic clans) are treated as 1, then we have 4 or 5 more doctrines to see (a couple of which we have guessed at).

I gave it some thought, and one option for the caste doctrine would be to give a more powerful bloodline trait (than what would normally be given for reforming a pagan faith) or something akin to the Sayyid and Saoshyant traits for all decedents. The Hindu caste traits on their own are pretty underwhelming.

Idea:

No great benefit to caste. It may come with some piety and prestige bonus, depending on the caste. Maybe a token +1 or so to a skill associated with that caste.

Why take it? Why want it? Why would you, right? As a disadvantage to level off what would otherwise be too beneficial a doctrine, or manifests with the right OP combinations. Thus, for balance. A necessary evil as an outcome to the player's social engineering.

Idea:

No great benefit to caste. It may come with some piety and prestige bonus, depending on the caste. Maybe a token +1 or so to a skill associated with that caste.

Why take it? Why want it? Why would you, right? As a disadvantage to level off what would otherwise be too beneficial a doctrine, or manifests with the right OP combinations. Thus, for balance. A necessary evil as an outcome to the player's social engineering.

it should be a reward for doing the tasks required to reform, not so much that it needs to be balanced.

I'm still hoping there will be a way to tell which doctrines combine to give bigger buffs. I can understand if they want us to find out on our own, and if the combos are obvious. But, it would be nice if there will be some kind of hint while picking.

Why would you want pagans to become part of a different religious group? That seems pointless and unnecessarily confusing.
The way I see it being useful is if you want to use pagan reformation as a way to create a custom heresy/branch. So a Christian religion that ignores defensive attrition and has temporal leadership, for example. There's no way to get that without modding it in right now.

The way I see it being useful is if you want to use pagan reformation as a way to create a custom heresy/branch. So a Christian religion that ignores defensive attrition and has temporal leadership, for example. There's no way to get that without modding it in right now.
Well, yeah I can understand that to an extent for like a mod that lets you make/customise a heresy but actively turning Slavic Paganism into a christian heresy makes no sense and would just be really awkward and confusing. Plus I don't see the problem with just pagans being pagans.

Yeah, sure, mod that for custom heresies. But why on Earth would reforming pagan religions even want to get grouped in with those Abrahamic invaders? Kinda defeats the entire point.

Yeah, sure, mod that for custom heresies. But why on Earth would reforming pagan religions even want to get grouped in with those Abrahamic invaders? Kinda defeats the entire point.

It would only KINDA make sense for Zunists/Bon to become Dharmic. Zun Paganism is based on some weird sect in Afghanistan which worshipped a god very similar to Surya, and Bon itself would eventually become on of the components for Tibetan Buddhism, but even then, that's more of Buddhism becoming more Bon than Bon becoming more Buddhist.

The whole idea of reformation is Pagans RESISTING conversion.

It would only KINDA make sense for Zunists/Bon to become Dharmic. Zun Paganism is based on some weird sect in Afghanistan which worshipped a god very similar to Surya, and Bon itself would eventually become on of the components for Tibetan Buddhism, but even then, that's more of Buddhism becoming more Bon than Bon becoming more Buddhist.

The whole idea of reformation is Pagans RESISTING conversion.

One could just argue that if a Bön believer wanted to get closer to the Dharmic group, they'd just become a Buddhist. And the Zunist could either become a Dharmic or a Zoroastrian. But if they wanted to keep their original religion with more structure they'd reform it to withstand outside pressure.

Why would you want pagans to become part of a different religious group? That seems pointless and unnecessarily confusing.

if you're asking me, i thought not being a holy war target but also not getting holy wars on them, might be an interesting choice, also opens up marriage options.

all while letting you customize a big chunk of the religion still.

because maybe he read the bible and saw too many parallels and so want's to stop unessaracy bloodshed, since he thinks the religions are actually explaining the same thing. or maybe he just wants to do it for political reasons.

*shrug* it's not even the main thing i want to mod in, but if i did try to add and heresies couldn't go across group lines, it would complicate some things.

I don't believe it has been answered, and it is slightly different from the main topic, but how easy is it to create new Natures when modding, alternatively, how easy is it to add aspects from several Natures to one religion (e.g. Interfaith Marriages enabled (Cosmopolitan), foreign missions disabled (Unyielding), proselytize weaker (Cosmopolitan), no HW/GHW (Peaceful), no base MA malus or bonus (various))?

Likewise, how are the Doctrines checked in script? Can we check "has_doctrine = XYZ" in in addition to checking the components (e.g. "seafaring = yes")?

Also, a bit further aside, is it possible to mod the conditions for the Reform button in HF beyond the current defines, e.g. could we mod the holy site condition to "Has 3 holy sites OR 2 holy sites and realm size X OR 1 holy site and realm size Y OR realm size Z"?

I don't believe it has been answered, and it is slightly different from the main topic, but how easy is it to create new Natures when modding, alternatively, how easy is it to add aspects from several Natures to one religion (e.g. Interfaith Marriages enabled (Cosmopolitan), foreign missions disabled (Unyielding), proselytize weaker (Cosmopolitan), no HW/GHW (Peaceful), no base MA malus or bonus (various))?
Adding or modifying new features to the Reformation screen is fairly easy.

Likewise, how are the Doctrines checked in script? Can we check "has_doctrine = XYZ" in in addition to checking the components (e.g. "seafaring = yes")?
has_religion_feature = feature_name
Works for checking any feature (Nature, Doctrines, Leadership).

Also, a bit further aside, is it possible to mod the conditions for the Reform button in HF beyond the current defines, e.g. could we mod the holy site condition to "Has 3 holy sites OR 2 holy sites and realm size X OR 1 holy site and realm size Y OR realm size Z"?
There has been no change in the requirements.