Hearts of Iron IV - Development Diary 60 - Release Week and Beta Hotfix Patch 1.0.1

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Italy - tutorial nation.

Once you understand the mechanics of the game, you can switch sides and play a real fighter. You had ONE JOB, Italy.

Reactions:
I'm very glad to see Turkey is a popular minor. I've been hoping they'd be one of the early minors to get a focus tree. They may not have fought in the war, but if they had, it would have been a pretty big deal.
For sure.

My first game was as France, and the second was as Turkey. They're great fun to play, although you are going to have to join or create a decent alliance if you want to do well.

Ugly Li Zongren,I perfer this one .
09eab7f61aa8bc66a2abe371f5b8a48b.jpg

Reactions:
Since 3,5% of the players play French, here are a few names to flesh out the leader selection for a future DLC, where there are of now only 5 historical generals. You should add :

General Gaston Billotte (in charge of Army Group 1) rating 2
General Andre Pretelat (Army Group 2) 2

General Georges Blanchard (1st Army) 2
General Charles Huntzinger (2nd Army) 1
General Andre Corap (9th Army) 1

Reactions:
I find with HoI4 99% of the trashing is coming from valid criticism, where as similarly 99% of all the praising is just diehard fanboyism.

I think this can be filed under confirmation bias.

I'm surprised Italy is #2 most played. Perhaps this is a combination of it being the tutorial nation and the most popular nation's sidekick.

Didn't bother with the tutorial, but I started with Italy, as I did with previous iterations. Italy is a good place to start because broadly speaking you can enter the war when you choose, it's big enough that you can have some fun conquering but small enough that you can sit out if you want to. (You can also stab Jerry in the back quite delightfully.)

Reactions:
we are looking at the access issues

As long as the solution doesn't handicap powers like China, who have several vulnerable foreign ports on their coastline, I'll be happy. As it is, its annoying enough to try to keep the Japanese out of those territories.

I was rather unfavourable in my comment on the lack of female portraits so I appreciate that you have taken the time to add one in, hopefully there will be more in the future!

Reactions:
not really seen them go for the swiss. the only case I could see tha thappen is if the dutch have somehow not been possible to attack?
It happened in my latest game. Germany got Danzig without war and seemed a bit confused as a result; it tried to attack France through the Italian front exclusively, wouldn't attack the Low Countries and then declared war on Switzerland for some reason.

Yes, and those same companies thought HoI3 was brilliant at launch.

User reviews are what really count.

Very positive score on steam 83% which your probably looking at 85-86% if you don't count troll reviews and people complaining of crashes etc... So yes I would say overwhelmingly positive reviews all around.

Reactions:
never seen anyone attack switzerland, Finland yes, swiss, no.
This happened to me as Italy last night. Germany properly dismantled Poland in about the right amount of time, and moved over to the western front. Belgium joined the Allies before Germany declared war, but instead of going through Belgium (because the AI figured that was a trap, I guess!) they declared war on Switzerland and decided to mass assault through MY border with France, and hit Switzerland from both sides.

I shrugged and joined the French attack, it's working, but I'm pretty sure Belgium would have been EASIER... once Greece falls, I may move that army to do the German job.

I find with HoI4 99% of the trashing is coming from valid criticism, where as similarly 99% of all the praising is just diehard fanboyism.
On the other hand, I find that 99% of the trashing is coming from the crowd who wanted HOI 3.5, and 99% of the praise are coming from those of us who finally find the series accessible enough to get through more than an hour of gameplay.

Perspective.

Reactions: