Hearts of Iron IV - 24th Development Diary - 11th of September 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I found Hoi 3 trade a black box, just left it on AI.

I think I am liking this new system... If I am understanding things properly .... this means that "some Dr Evil" in another country, (which shall remain nameless) is buying top quality Soviet resources ... and therefore the Soviets are getting access to more civilian factories ... which they are using to build more military factories in the Urals?

Reactions:
Yes what you say could happen. So if you are a country such as Germany you may try to avoid importing resources from Soviet.
I plan to import as much as possible, from countries, which I am likely to (soon) overrun :)

With those chromium reserves, Turkey is just asking for a German invasion. Also makes Italy's Greek invasion look pretty smart too. I wonder if these values will be there at launch.

EDIT: Maybe stand corrected. If chromium is only used for late-game tanks, it doesn't seem vital at all. The Turks are safe from my Germany (possibly).
Turkey traded it`s chromium and was a large supplier of Germany. No need for invasion of any kind, Germans already had enough of those on their hand.

they have the same end value, so end up being allowed to buy 50% of the exports. if there was no competition and only one buyer they could buy 100%, but with this particular competition case they are guaranteed 50% at least.
And if it's something like 160/170? Winner takes all or they get proportional quantity?

Reactions:
is that a DEATH NOTE on the table

i know paradox was evil but that evil

*note to self never go to a paradox fangathering

Hah, good eye! I gave that to our office manager the other day ^_^

Reactions:
I found Hoi 3 trade a black box, just left it on AI.

I think I am liking this new system... If I am understanding things properly .... this means that "some Dr Evil" in another country, (which shall remain nameless) is buying top quality Soviet resources ... and therefore the Soviets are getting access to more civilian factories ... which they are using to build more military factories in the Urals?

Yes what you say could happen. So if you are a country such as Germany you may try to avoid importing resources from Soviet.

Yeah exactly, although chances are you'll need those soviet resources

every developer diary makes me more excited for HOI4 and addresses every concern i have. keep up the awesome work podcat and paradox!

Turkey traded it`s chromium and was a large supplier of Germany. No need for invasion of any kind, Germans already had enough of those on their hand.
At least until say turkey joins another faction at which point germany would need to invade. Its something neutral nations need to keep in mind (this goes for swedish steel as well as a famous example)

And if it's something like 160/170? Winner takes all or they get proportional quantity?

proportional. so here here they would get 48% vs 52%

Reactions:
I'm thumbs up for this new system. The old trade system was nice for people who liked playing 'do I run out of resources in 1943 micro lotto' but for most people it was a bit of a pointless add on.

As I see it right now, your nation has a few types of resources, namely:

Manpower - used up building military units OR in factory production (I seem to remember that things like the draft have a negative impact on IC)
Industrial Capacity (civilian) - used up building more infra OR for trading for raw materials
Industrial Capacity (military) - used in building ONLY military units
Raw Materials - used for building military units OR in trading for more Industrial capacity (civilian)
Tech Teams - obvious use is obvious

All of these things (cept' tech teams) is in tension.

You could trade raw materials now for more IC right now - which you can use to build more IC or to build more Military factories. If you build more military factories, you will have less IC (since you will need to use more raw materials in house).

I do wonder, though, how this is going to affect the US - the US both had gigantic raw material reserves, but also was a fairly powerful industrialized nation.

I HoI3, I traded for as much American strategic materials pre-war as a I could, simply because there wasn't much use for money in game, other than to obtain raw materials (and the US was rich anyways). Seems like now that would be a 'bad strategy' since the US would be getting a bunch of my IC to use. Much rather get my stuff from Bolivia etc, since them having some of my IC is at least only a drain, not a drain/bonus. Ditto the Germans trading with Russia, etc. If you get a bunch of raw materials from Russia pre-war, they will get a big economic boost.

Hmmmm.... basically its a now vs later payout scheme. Very stoked.

Reactions:
Thanks for the dev diary! After reading the follow-up posts I'm beginning to get a better picture of how this works. I think I'll need to see trade in action, before it really clicks for me. I think I find it a bit abstract, but this does seem to alleviate the handling mess that was HOI3's trading system. Hmmmm...
I do like the modable part of resources, though!

Reactions:
Sorry for the dumb question, but I have seen in many screenshots of DD those sketched lines that sometimes connect ports. What are they?

I thought they where something like trade routes with other countries or something similar, but in this DD's screenshot I can see a line connecting Napoli to Olbia so I'm a bit confused (and curius).

Thank You!