Hearts of Iron IV - 24th Development Diary - 11th of September 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What about equipments and supplies trade?

"Trading for a resource locks civilian factories for its trade, which limits the amount of constructions of other buildings you can do, but if you export resources you will gain use of foreign civilian factories."

I don't really understand this. From what I can gather, importing resources reduces your IC/factories, but exporting can give you more. How wrong am I?
I'm guessing this replaces the old way of doing it : selling supplies for money and using the money to buy energy/steel/rares.
Now you directly dedicate some civilian IC to the importing process.

From what I have read over the years the lack of a resource never stopped the productions of war materials; slowed it down or made it more costly or both but never to a dead stop, production was put on hold in favour of more strategic production (subs instead of a battleship) , in fact the lack of a resources spurred the development of alternatives (necessity is the mother of invention). only three resources stopped an army, food, fuel and men. eq. Germany at the end of the war had lots of planes, but no fuel or men to fly them.

it only stops if you have NO resources. if you are producing airplanes and that airplane needs rubber and aluminium and you have 0 rubber but 100% of the needed aluminium that line will run at 50% efficiency. if you had no aluminium at all either it wouldnt run. Most lines require some basic stuff like aluminium or steel which you will have at some quantity.

Development of synthetic resources was confirmed last week.

yea

I'm guessing this replaces the old way of doing it : selling supplies for money and using the money to buy energy/steel/rares.
Now you directly dedicate some civilian IC to the importing process.

yeah

Reactions:
sooo :) HI and Thanks :)

1. If there i no Stockpile of ressources, the AI "ships" every day ressources and if u boats kill some of them i lack this ONE DAY on ressources it had delivered?
2. Can i manually change or adapt the Harbor/Traderoute?
3. What was the Reason to let stockpiles go? Its somewhat historical and more realistic to stockpile stuff, i have to say this is the 1st thing i am a little bit sad about.
1. it averages it out actually so there are no quick jumps, you slowly start drainign the resource (so there is a slight hidden stockpile actually behind the scenes)
2. not right now
3. read my reply on last page about stockpiles :)

Will tanks/planes/ships need oil to move, or just for production?.
Just production.

Reactions:
Cheers for the DD Johan and for the clarifications Podcat :). Love your and the teams' work, and think the approach you're taking (and the reason for it - combating hindsight and all that) is a very good one. Am a big fan of the relatively deep (but also far more transparent) approach to who will trade what with who. I'm not sure that, in some cases, armies on the border would necessarily increase the probability of trade (the screenie shows a +9 to Italy for having armies on the French border - I'd expect France to be less inclined to trade if Italy was being threatening, particularly given their relative military strength) but it's not a biggy, and there may be more depth to the system than we can see in the screenie.

it only stops if you have NO resources. if you are producing airplanes and that airplane needs rubber and aluminium and you have 0 rubber but 100% of the needed aluminium that line will run at 50% efficiency. if you had no aluminium at all either it wouldnt run. Most lines require some basic stuff like aluminium or steel which you will have at some quantity.

Cheers for the clarification, that sounds like a great way to do it, kind of abstracting in the substitution effect by slowing production (and thus picking up that whatever the second or third-best option is, isn't as good so isn't as efficient/effective). Quick question if easy/appropriate:

- If factories don't have all the desired resources, will it potentially have an impact on the reliability of what's being produced and if it doesn't, is it possible to mod it in?

Context of the question is things like the Me 262s engines, late-war German tank armour and the like. Not a biggy, really looking forward to HoI4, and looking forward to the next DD to boot :).

Reactions:
Just production.

Sorry for the double post, and again only answer if easy/appropriate. Is there anything in the game that simulates dealing with shortages of fuel. If there isn't, wouldn't that give German armour on the Eastern front a bit of an advantage vis-a-vis the historic situation, and lead to balancing issues?

Edit - fuel originally read oil. Technically could have been both I guess, but I meant fuel. I'm just dopey :).

Last edited:
Reactions:
I like the sound of it - it seems much better than HOI3.
I always put trade on auto, otherwise it was just, well, zzzzzzzz......or, it was a bit 'AAARRRRRRGGHHHH!......but at no point was it FUN!

Reactions:
But this is a horrible example as there were whole lines of planes that were build without aluminium.
Russian LaGG-3=>LA-5=>LA7 series of fighters mainly existed because it was wooden, and didn`t need aluminium!

Can we at least create some models that reduce the usage of deficit resource?

Reactions:
The list of countries on the left hand side, the first set of numbers... is that their Cromium amount?

I can understand and see why many of the community have raised so many questions as this system is a departure from HOI3. As I recall I used to get trade going then mostly rely on the AI to manage it for me as it became a bit tedious.

From what I can see, I like the new trade/ resource format as it appears simpler (as an interface, not necessarily by detail) and certainly easier for MP but still gets the point across. Sadly the only way of truly knowing is by playing....:)

Reactions:
But this is a horrible example as there were whole lines of planes that were build without aluminium.
Russian LaGG-3=>LA-5=>LA7 series of fighters mainly existed because it was wooden, and didn`t need aluminium!

Can we at least create some models that reduce the usage of deficit resource?

Maybe, variants can have option for reduced resource demands.

Reactions:
Thanks for the clarification(s) @podcat
At first I was a bit unsure but the system seems make sense on paper (of course we will have to see how it actually works in game :p).

It seems to combine realism, accessibility and strategy. No more changing trading partners like crazy, but rather long term strategies that pay off in the long run (when you will be basically granted almost all of another countries resources if everything goes well).

It also needs to be considered that not only is hindsight unrealistic, but also that total-control over a nation is.
Stockpiles (apart from supplies) don't make that much sense because no countries would buy massive resources just to store them for rainy days (if governments were that far-sighted, we'd live in a better world). Also, even if he/she wanted to, a prime minister could never do that. You simply can't convince the rest of the government to A) spend money to buy resources that you don't need and B) not to trade with someone who makes a good offer because you had a dream last night about being at war with them in ten years time.

Edit: I still think it'd be cool to have an intelligence operation to increase trade bonuses :D

Reactions:
1. it averages it out actually so there are no quick jumps, you slowly start drainign the resource (so there is a slight hidden stockpile actually behind the scenes)
2. not right now
3. read my reply on last page about stockpiles :)

1. Ah ok so there is a "little" stockpiling but not visible to us. ok
2. Dont make me sad :D, pls :D
3. Yeah i did read it. There where always stockpiles but not for years to come, more likely for months (gasoline f. ex.). But ok, this covers the "imaginary" stockpile then :D

Johan said, trade politics are showing your limits in Trade. Can you pls show screenshots of the various trade policies? :) Thank you

Reactions:
I do have a question actually....

If your industry is in full swing with lots of production lines but you suffer a slump in resources for some reason, can you prioritize which production lines get the resources? Example 15 Stug factories have the resources they need but your 15 Panzer IV are short. Or are the resources split equally between your production lines and the only option to streamline production would be to downsize?

Reactions:
I like the simplicity and the fact it's way less gamey and micro intensive than previous HOI.
Although I wonder how well the lack of strategic resources will be modeled with a quasi-inexistant stockpile.
Will we have to option to "recycle" old hardware for a refund of material?

Reactions: