• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shannon
Irish name, most people would tell you that it comes from the river Shannon. Nothing could be further from the "truth"! Well, a good many things could be further from the truth, but they don't count. Because I said so.

Here is the "true" story behind the surname Shannon.
Once upon a time there was man named Finn the Irishman. This was a particularly odd name, considering that he had never met someone who wasn't irish, so no one had any reason to single him out as Irish. But they did. Anyhow, One day while walking through the forest near his home WHICH WASN'T ANYWHERES NEAR THE RIVER SHANNON, he came across a maiden in the woods. "Fair lady," he inquired in English, because that's the language Irish people speak, espcially when they haven't met anyone from outside Ireland, "Fair lady, How have you come to be in such a place all alone?" The Maiden regarded him and calmly replied "I am a wood spirit, and I cannot leave here until someone guesses my name. If you do so I will grant your fondest wish." Finn the Irishman was a catious man "And what if I guess wrong?" "Then I will be forced to stay here another hundred years and wait for someone to guess it right." "But lady, can you not give me a clue?" "Very well," the wood spirit replied "We wood spirits have named based on Geographical features that sound like girls names THAT AREN'T ANYWHERES NEAR HERE."

Finn thought long and hard about geographical features that have girls' names and were not anywhere near by. He thought long and hard, "Ah!" He finally said, "Your name is Elbe!" Finn had a surprisingly good knowlege of geography for someone who had never met anyone from outside of Ireland. "Well, ****." The Wood Spirit said. "What did you just say?" "Fuddle duddle." she said with a tone of restrained anger as she melted into the ground condemned to stay there for another hundred years. "Oh! It Shannon! SHANNON!" He stamped and shouted into the ground.

Some passing traders saw this specticle from a distance and one asked the other "What's he doing?" The other replied "I don't know, but I think his name is Shannon"

Nolan

The Nolan family comes from a long line of nobles & land owners from a part of Eastern Ireland Called Leinster, Or that is otherwise known today as the province of Carlow.

The Nolan family Was vigilant in political affairs in the 14th century, by maintaining good relations with the French & also Scottish, & during the 100 year war the Nolan family helped the French by
sending some of their nobles & other troops to help fight in Normandy.

Halevi

Halevi - sometimes rendered as Ha'Levi or ha'Levi, is the rendition in Latin letters of הלוי, the Hebrew meaning "the Levite", as in a member of the tribe of Levi. In Aancient Israel and Judea, the Levis were a sort of "middle class" caste, occupying rolls of teaching the common people and supporting the priesthood. Because of this origin, Halevi is a fairly common last name in Jewish history, held by many unrelated people. Probably the most famous such holder is Yehuda Halevi, a much famed poet and scholar from 11th Century Spain.

Considering that it's a very Jewish name, it probably wouldn't be appropriate to make it a dynasty name (I think the first ever Jewish nobles were the Rothschilds in the 19th Century), but it would make a lot of sense to make it a name for advisers and such. I guess there could also be a convert dynasty, but it seems likely that they would change their name in such a case.

Last edited:
Ricci.
Name of a merchant family of Florentine origins.
During the middle age become poor and shattered across all Italy.

Badics - Hungarian

The Badics line led back to the days of Arpad. There tribe was a rather small one and was not considered one of the seven tribes of the Magyar people. They were however a constant thorn in the side of any who got in their way. They proved this during the Battle of Southern Buh and again and again over the years. With the coronoation of Stephen(Vajk) as the King of Hungary, the Badics family were honored with one of the commanderies to the east to protect the lands of Hungary.

Hirche
Coming from the area between Bohemia, Germany and Poland where Slavic and German dialects mingled, Hirche derived from Herrche, meaning "little lord". The Hirche dynasty was a long standing family of reeves, that managed to obtain large wealth and local power. By lending money to dukes and kings, the family finally bought themselves into nobility, when their debitors where unable to repay the money lent to them. The first mentioning of the name was a Georg Hirche in the late 12th century. From the 16th century onward there are many members of the Hirche family mentioned as officers and even generals within the HRE, one of them playing an important role on the side of the Protestant League in the 30 Years War. The coat of Arms shows three white roses on red.

Nolan

The Nolan family comes from a long line of nobles & land owners from a part of Eastern Ireland Called Leinster, Or that is otherwise known today as the province of Carlow.

The Nolan family Was vigilant in political affairs in the 14th century, by maintaining good relations with the French & also Scottish, & during the 100 year war the Nolan family helped the French by
sending some of their nobles & other troops to help fight in Normandy.
Ahh yes the proud and honourable province of Carlow famed for its mmm i really dont have anything oo there gaelic shirt is nice and they are the only rasta county o wait i mean "province"

Staebler or Stæbler

First found in Austria, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.

Чавалко / Chawalko

Originating from Eastern Ukraine in the countryside around Lviv, the Chawalko family quietly lived off the land until 1941. Operation Barbarossa swept the family into hiding and resistant - until, they were ultimately captured by the Wehrmacht. Surviving the camps of World War II, the family proceeded to raise a family in post-war Munich until they managed to immigrate to New York City in the early 50's - where I currently reside and tow the family name as the last male heir.

My surname is derived from the Scottish clan Gregor or MacGregor. (The spelling I use, alas, is a derivation whose history I know little about, and probably developed in the New World anyway.) Descended from a brother of the great Kenneth MacAlpin, (who unified Scotland and Pictland), they did Scottish political things - clan warfare, backing kings, etc. but fell from power after clan Campbell was granted their lands by Robert the Bruce - albeit not without resistance from the rebellious MacGregors. When their lands were finally gone, they embraced an outlaw lifestyle, stealing cattle, murdering agents of the king, and all that other lovely stuff. They got so good at it that other clans paid them not to rob them. At one point (albeit in the EU3 timeframe) bearing their very name was made punishable by death. So they took aliases, or just kept up their old activities in parts of the Scottish highlands where no royal authority could reach.

(They're an interesting family. I'd say they were worth including for Scotland even if I wasn't one of them. EDIT: And having just checked, they made it into CK1 anyway in the form "Mac Griogar" so this post might be pointless. XP )

My old family name is Gyllengrip a noble family in the past wich didnt really have that much money or land but did figth alot for Sweden in many wars.

The last known decendant with a strong connection to the gyllengrips was Nils Grip, and he participated in battles against Russia in Finland and against Poland when sigismund ruled.

And if i recall correctly he ended up as a jailor commandant in Landskrona.

There is also a rumor that one Gyllengrip was executed in Finland for treason against the king, and that he had one of the family members of Sparre executed with him....but that is just a rumor althou you can find the story somewhere on the net.

My father has done a great job researching our history.

Last edited:
McIntosh / Macintosh / Mackintosh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Mackintosh)

Crest: A cat-a-mountain salient guardant Proper
Motto: Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove ("Touch not the cat without a glove")
War cry: Loch Moigh!

From the scottish gaelic, Mac an Toisich (phonically: mack-in-tea-shock), which in English means Son of the Chief (or leader). The Mackintosh Clan is one of the oldest and most powerful Scottish clans and have a rich, varied involvement in Scottish history. During the Scottish war for independence the clan sided with Robert the Bruce and were involved in various events all the way up to the Jacobite uprisings, in which they sided with the House of Stewart.

Probably the earliest authentic history of Mackintosh is traceable to Shaw or Search Macduff, a cadet son of the third Earl of Fife. The son of Macduff, for his support of King Malcolm IV, was awarded the lands of Petty and Breachley in Invernesshire and was appointed Constable of Inverness Castle thereto. Assuming the name Mac an Toisich, he became the progenitor of his own clan.

In the early 14th century the clans Chattan and Mackintosh were united when Angus Mackintosh, 6th chief of Clan Mackintosh married Eva, the daughter of Gilpatric Dougal Dall, the 6th chief of Clan Chattan. Thus Angus Mackintosh became 6th chief of Clan Mackintosh and 7th chief of the Clan Chattan. The two clans united to form the 16 clan strong Chattan Confederation, headed by the chief of Clan Mackintosh. The Macintosh ruled the federation up until the Lyon Court separated the leadership of the Clans Chattan and Mackintosh in 1943. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattan_Confederation)

My family is exceptionally old and noble clan, which I'm particularly proud to be a part of :)

Lussenburg, tracing back for centuries in the Netherlands, near Rotterdam (that part is true), until a church, containing a dark secret burned down (the church burning is also true). Little is known what exactly was burned, but it must have been a dark, dark secret. As, unlikely unconnected, a small castle stands south of Nancy baring the name Lutzelbourg (true as toasted toads). And the double s has replaced the tz only for a century... (yup, true). What dark secret lay in the church, why did it have to burn?

I don't have a family name. What am I supposed to do ? Use my last name ? That is my fathers first name + son. I could make up a family name connected to my fathers family.
And there is a story of my connection to it. I am the oldest son and child of my parents. My father is the oldest child of my grandparents. My grandfather is the oldest child of his father. My grandmother on my fathers side is also the oldest child of her parents. So if my family was a medieval noble family, I would be the heir of a title. My fathers family has been named Sólbakkaættin, Sunbank family (bank as in river bank).

Or can I create some name connected to my family in general, like my mothers large family ? You see, my great great great grandmother and grandfather had 14 children, and one of their sons, my great great grandfather, had 12 children, some of his children had like 9 children, my great grandfather had 3, my grandmother 4 and finally my mother had 3 children. So in the end, my great great great grandfather and his wive had 768 decendence in 2004, it has grown since then. The founder of the dynasty, Þórunn Gísladóttir, was born in 1846 and died in 1937. She was a healer and healed with fjallagrös and there for the family was named "grasaættin", the gras family. Once she cured a man, I thing he had been burned, with the grasasmyrsl, gras ointment, and doctors said that he could not be helped. And during the 1918 flu pandemic and the great frost winter my great great grandfather nursed his family, his children and wive, so well that no one died.

But anyway, I am from Iceland, eastern Iceland to be exact (btw, please stop calling it Austisland, call it Austurland) and my family name would be Sólbakki or, I don't know, maybe Fjalla-Gras. Maybe just Gras instead of Fjalla-Gras.

Edit: Was Austisland maybe the old version of it ?

Maia

Maia is the name of a decently sized (35k) town here in Portugal nowadays, but before that it was the name of a greek mythological figure, one of the Pleiades.

Historically, in CK's time, there was a very influent family in Portuguese politics, the Mendes. Afonso Henriques, our first King, was probably educated in Maia together with the Mendes. One of them, the most notable warrior in this period of history, was called Gonçalo Mendes, and became known as Gonçalo Mendes da Maia, "o Lidador", which, roughly translated, means "the Fighter".

He is more myth than man, of course, but the legend tells that he, in 1155, at the young age of 95, was in a battle at the moor lands of Ourique, near Lisbon, and engaged in a battle with them (as a commander of course, why would an old man fight?!). Then he joined a group of combatants... and fought the moors with the will of a young man. Seeing a 95-year-old fight like he was 25, the moors fled, fearing magic[ka], and we won the battle. He died of his wounds shortly afterwards, but he was immortalized, and there's even a subway station with his 'nickname' now!

In case any of you come to the North of Portugal, the Sá Carneiro airport at Pedras Rubras is in the council of Maia, and close to the aforementioned subway station.

One of the Portuguese National Epics (TM), Os Maias, by Eça de Queiroz, is about some people who have the same last name as me!
It's, essentially, about two siblings separated very young, when their mother runs away to France with another man. Many years later, and after many, many fun adventures, Carlos, the boy, falls in love with Maria Eduarda, the girl, not knowing they are siblings... and then they find out!
Then their grandfather dies when he finds out, and they break up.

I'd really enjoy seeing my name in, and there's historical precedence too!

Aslett - Derives from early German "Azo" via Norman "Ascelot". My family are from Guernsey, and include tavern owners, smugglers, captains of ships carrying prisoners to Australia, and a guy who was found mysteriously drowned in a quarry. My ancestors moved to Canada, where my family now resides. Variations on the name "Aslett" are first recorded as far back as 1191.

Gilliam -First found in Essex where they had been granted lands by King William, Duke of Normandy, for their assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066.

Gilliam comes from the Old French given name Guillaume

Some noteworthy Gilliam's

Holly Michelle Gilliam (b. 1944), original name of Michelle Phillips, American singer, songwriter, and actress best known as part of The Mamas and The Papas

Terry Gilliam (b. 1940), British film director and member of the Monty Python comedy troupe

Eventually you get to my Gilliam's which had their own little dynasty of small business ventures.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.