• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mattox - Wales
Crest: Knight helmet with a red/blue square with two golden lions over it with leaves/vines to the side
I believe this comes from the Royal Welsh Family (Which, if I remember correctly was Madoch). We believe we changed it either when Wales was incorporated into the UK or when we migrated to the US and got in trouble with the law.

Last edited:
Rodrigues

Once upon a time my family fled from Wales and to Georgia, according to family legends the stole the china of English nobles and fled to escape a bounty. This was before the revolution and my family has been with the US since its founding, becoming both revolutionary soldiers, to post-revolutionary landlords. From family research, it was my family who owned the White House land before it was White House land. My family reached their pinnacle after the civil war, as southern nobles who were on the wrong side.

So why is my name Rodrigues then? Well the daughters of this illustrious family married a Portagee Rhode Islander who took the q out of his name to sound more "American"

HENDERSON

So the legend goes that in the east lowlands of Scotland around the 8th century there was a well loved but foolish Lord with a nigh insatiable and paranoid love of eggs. He had the largest chicken farm in the world which was hidden deep in the forest.

In his younger days he had travelled as far as Russia looking for Baba Yaga's house in the hope that it would provide him with the worlds largest and tastiest eggs. His search was fruitless but while travelling back through Germany he chanced upon a beautiful maiden with a speckled complexion. After much fanfare and feasting they married and made there way back to his castle upon the summit of an extinct volcano near the town of Dundee. Soon his wife gave birth to a strong healthy son.

However not everyone was happy to see him return, his steward had grown used to not having to put up with his lords eccentric ways. On the child's 5th birthday his steward, whose name has been expunged from history as his bastard defendants never one any historical competitions, made his move. In one night he attempted to wipe out the entire dynasty. Fortunately the Lord had sent his son to view the royal chicken coop deep in the forest to see his most prized possession, his chickens and their thick shelled eggs.

The lord and his wife were slain and with no one knowing where his son was the steward assumed control of the land believing he had succeeded.

Time passed and the sons memories faded, all he remembered of his parents were their nationalities and a scrambled vocabulary. 15 years later the son had grown into a man, raisedby the Kings Fowl Chief, a one legged mute, the prefect guard who could not reveal the secret location of the royal chicken coop. Before being crippled the KFC had been a renowned warrior and he passed his martial skills to the orphaned homeless lord.

At 21 it was time to claim his birthright, the son, having inherited some of his fathers eccentric ways, he fashioned a suit of armour from the hardest of the hard chicken shells. With his father dead he wanted to prove he could be rwice the son anyone else had been. He made his way to the castle where he slew the evil steward in single combat. The common people who had suffered under the evil steward rejoiced and asked him his name. Not knowing he thought long and hard, he did not know his name (forgotten over time) and so combined his fathers most prized possession with his dream of being twice as good any other son.

And so he proclaimed himself "the son and Germany son of te chicken" or HEN-DER-SON.

He then created the waltz with which all weddings are started, the chicken dance, proclaiming to all that "Bird is the word, and that bird is the hen."

Last edited:
Chana

Small but influential clan in the Punjab region of India. My ancestors fought Alexander, as well as probably later served with the Indo-Greek kingdom. Since Punjabis are generally a very polygot group of people, I likely have ancestors from across Asia and Europe. My tribe that my clan is a part of is the Ramgharias.

In India, I heard our clan has a reputation as real schemers, cheats, untrustworthies - generally, rogues. But we care not for what the others think. We are really the Indian version of the Oda clan

I will make sure one day all hear and know of the name Chana :)

From my mother’s side my family name is Bastrup, a royal Danish family which dates back to 1200ad. We fought against the heathens in Eastern Europe as crusaders, and we were friends with the kings and queens of Denmark (We even had a castle called Bastrup Stenhus)
From my father my family name is De Bercon, it's French. We were a royal family in France, linked by marriages to the Bourbon kings in France
Both stories are real, and I am the direct heritage of both lines!

Panjer

My immediate ancestors were shoemakers, but further back there's a relatively successful ship's captain in the early 18th century. The name's a bastardization of Panger which goes even further back, although I'm not sure as to the origins.

...Shoot, looking at all the other posts I'm starting to feel insignificant. :(

image002.gif

Quite an awesome-looking crest though, but that's about it.

Last edited:
Manoel (Portugal)

My wife's maiden name, ancient noble portuguese family, Counts of Atalaia and Marquis of Tancos. Those wiki entries are in portuguese, here's the only english version I found, altough it's very incomplete and wrongly says Duke of Tancos instead of Marquis.

The 1st Count was the great-grandson of the king D. Duarte I of Portugal, so my wife is actually a direct descendant of a king, pretty cool :)

Hope you add the name ;)

EDIT: here's the CoA
220pxarmasduquestancos.png

Last edited:
Stjerne (which literally translates into "Star" in english, or Stierna, which appareantly is a noble family in Sweden). Not kidding here :)

There's been some speculation into whether we might be a bastard line from the "Gyldenstjerne" family, which should still exist in Sweden, but there's an old family legend that has it otherwise, so here goes:
The family legend has it, that back in the day there was a great storm near Samsoe, and a ship came into serious trouble. My courageous forefather was a captain of a smaller vessel but, valiant as he was, he and his crew went to the rescue. In the following hours he succeeded in saving everybody on the ship. The king heard of his death defying rescue mission, and granted him a choice for a surname: He could either take, A) Sol (the sun), måne (the moon), or Stjerne (Star), he chose Star, and that's, according to the family legend, how we came to bear the family name.

Reavis

According to my father the name comes originally from the south west of France, near the Pyraneese and Bordeaux, possibly of Basque origin. Weather we were wine sellers, thieves, or courtiers I cant say. We ended up coming to England during the 17th century as Huguenot refugees, and then on to Virginia in America in 1701.

Motto: Animum rege, Rule thy mind

Halliburton. A group of borderland castellans-turned-barons from Berwickshire in southern Scotland. Their name probably comes from "haligh barton", the local church. Vaguely tied to the Hume/Home clan, frequent turncoat in the Anglo-Scottish wars. Sir Henry Halliburton was one of twelve conspirators who betrayed William Wallace, after serving him extensively in his invasion of England.

haliburt.gif

Crest of the house, later with a boar's head in front.

Husevåg.

Husevåg comes from Husevågsøy, a small island in Sogn og Fjordane. It is has been known under this name at least since the time of Tycho Brahe at least (He was given the rights to taxes from this province, which I believe provided about a third of his income), but probably from older still as there are rock carvings from the bronze age. It is said that during Harald Hårfagres conquest of Norway, he sheltered in a cave on the island.

Map of Husevåg:
http://www.pilegrim.no/site/upfiles/Vestlandskysten_paa_1500-tallet.pdf

Husevåg is listed on the north side of the small island in between the large landmasses on the extreme left.

Husevåg.bmp

Your family name, its origin and the story behind it

Family Name: Peverill (originally "Peverel)

My family name originated after William the Conqueror successfully took the English crown, when he showed favour to my family for their remarkable assistance during the battle of Hastings. The reward they were given was given substantial lands, most notably Nottingham, and various Castles scattered throughout the land, some of which still exist and can be found with a quick Google search :)

When William died, one of the new Kings most influential Courtiers was a Bishop (I forget which one) whom disfavoured the Peverel family and started a string of events to discredit their name, climaxing in the revelation of a plot by the Peverel family to poison the new King and claim the throne for themselves. It has long been suspected that young William Peverel was the bastard son of William the Conqueror, which may well have been why they were the target of such a plot!

After this, the Peverill family fell into obscurity, rising again in the mid 1700s to become a prominent trading family, operation mainly in Australia and Northern America, where the bulk of my ancestors settled.

EDIT: True story, most of it can be Googled - we're also referenced in Harry Potter but... we don't talk about that :p

Last edited:
van den Akker

--------------------

Etymology

'van den Akker' is a Dutch name literally meaning 'of the farmland'. The word Akker is an old Germanic word, originally signifiedfarmland that was cultivated by the entire village, but slowly shifted in meaning towards land owned by private farmers. In the old days from before Napoleon the spelling and grammar wasn't standardized, hence that you can find several variants of the name, including 'van den Ecker' and 'van den Acker'. But no matter the spelling, it all came down to the same family.

--------------------

History

Our story starts with the 1462 fire that burned down the St.Pieters church in the town of Oirschot, North Brabant. In the blazing heat that destroyed this young church, barely 200 years old at the time, a lot of art and documents were lost forever, including 200 years of my family's history. Only rumours of a presence in the early thirteenth century and a few papers from the decades before the fire remained. It's because of this incident that my family's history dates back to the fifteenth instead of the thirteenth century. The reason for the destruction was never discovered. Was it lighting that struck at a wrong place, or was there foul play? Was there something in the documents that had to remain hidden forever? And was that art truely lost? We'll never know.

The fire had devastated the prospering town of Oirschot, but didn't slow down it's growth. As one of the important cities of the Duchy of Brabant, the lord ordered the construction of a new church, which would be finished some fifty years later. It is in the shadow of the burning remains that three brothers had found their fortune. 'Inheritence from father Jan', they said, but could a mere farmer could have been truely that rich? With all evidence pointing to the contrary destroyed in that great fire, no-one could tell differently. Within two years after that fire they found that the streets were still too hot for their feet, and decided to move out of town. Jan, Lambert and Gerrit van den Akker, the three children of that old Jan, bought a leasehold estate with land in one of those small suburbs. As free men, free farmers, they would only answer to their lord and the regents of the town. What happened during those years they hided out there? One can only try to imagine the fights that must have torn them apart. All we know is that in 1472 the oldest brother, Jan, bailed the other two out, and became sole owner of a farm with land in Verrenbest, that peacefull and quiet suburb of Oirschot. As a cooper besides farmer, his fortune was guarenteed to persist beyond his own life.

I wish that I could say that this land remained family possesion for many more generations, but would not be entirely true. Even tough Jan's oldest son Jan (a first name remaining popular even to the present day) inherited the house and the leasehold, he sold it with a huge profit. During the first half of the sixteenth century he slowly acquiered farmland all over the place, ranging from Oirschot till that suburb of Verrenbest his father had moved to, and sold it with more profit than bankers make nowadays. When he died he left the family a fortune, allowing his children to prosper in the community. The oldest son, Thomas, even became churchwarden in Best, another former suburb. Each generation bought new land, and sold old, and even bought very old back. Within a hundred years of the big fire the descendants of the three brothers had formed a dynasty that would dominate the town for at least five more centuries to come.

During these late-Medieval times it was unique for a common family to have a family name. 'Of the farmland' may sound like mere peasants, but make no mistake: this name was a way to display the gathered family wealth. And while nobles did everything in their power to keep possessions like countries in their families, the van den Akkers did the same on a smaller scale. In 1633 Jan, the eight generation, and his brothers even forced their mother to renounce her rights to any inheritence. No in-laws would gain possesion of the richness gathered by so many generations of farm merchants. Even today half the people living in Oirschot are named van den Akker, or are tied to the family.

But as with every family spanning many centuries, a crisis was looming. In the early nineteenth century the family name was locally famous, with half the city council in the pocket and half the town owned by the ever expanding empire of a mere farmer family. For centuries the van den Akkers had climbed up to become the local aristocracy, without the duties that come with the real deal. Like the nobles themselves the head of the family guided the estates in ways that would secure prosperity for many generations to come. But the oldest child of the current godfather was a girl named Johanna. She couldn't possibly continue the good name, for when she'd marry, she would become part of another family. And so it happened. Madly in love with a blacksmith she married, and gave birth to three healthy children. A pity that her happiness didn't last long.

He had seemed like such a nice guy, but in the end hitting her was the least of all his crimes. Her only reason to stay was for the children, as with so many of these cases. She didn't dare to tell the others, but they all saw it. His death was premature, and a full-scale investigation could be prevented. But the damage had been done. It would be a disgrace to live on with the name that hurt her and her children so much. So Johanna gathered all the branches of the clan, and used many of the liquified assets to get something extraordernary done: she and her children would keep her maiden name, and would thus continue the name van den Akker.

The price was high tough. Using so many resources had cleared her and her childrens name, but left her as a paria in the town. Her eldest son, Francis, was send away to the big city of Amsterdam, where no-one knew him, to become a goldsmith. He couldn't rely on the family's fortune anymore, so he spread out to seek his own. And with success: as a goldsmith he not only managed to accumulate more than he would have had in that town of Oirschot, he also married into a wealthy family with noble ties, uplifting his reputation. Influenced by the noble lineage of his wife, he bought a family weapon for him and his descendants:
177046026eceo.jpg
His son Louis even enhanced it in full colour:
177044296ig4j.jpg

Unfortunately he and his wife didn't get along that well in the end, and divorced. As in such cases happens too often, the entire wealth vanished into thin air, never to be seen again by him or any of his descenants. Even tough I'm an eighteenth generation van den Akker, I can't claim ownership to any land, wealth or fortune. The only thing left is the family weapon, bought for all generations to come, which I bear with pride. Maybe it's time again for me and my brother to buy some land somewhere, maybe a house. But first we need to 'inherit' a fortune, as they called it in the old days. Two of my former schools have already burned down to the ground. Maybe it's time for some museum or church to be caught in a destructive fire, erasing all valueable art from existence. Don't be surprised if we'll own within a decade or two some land in a town far from here. Land we can assimilate within a century or so, making our descendants local kings. Crusader kings. Part two.

--------------------

Sources:

van den Akker, W.L., Oorkondeboek 1418-1918, Leiden, 1942.

van den Akker, W.L., Het aloude geslacht van den Akker van 1430 tot heden, Barneveld, 1945.

Lunga

The origins of this Norwegian name was relatively unknown for years and years. Based primarily in the northern parts of Norway, the Lungas were told the name was some sort of mix between Finnish, Sami, Swedish and Norwegian. However, my brother did som snooping and solved the mystery.

Apparently, back in the old days in Sweden, high ranking soldiers would sometimes take the names of the military unts where they were serving their duties. These names were especially popular if they conveyed a message of martial prowess and ruthless feriocity in battle. The unit from which my family took its name was in Tornedalen, near the Finnish border, and carried the rather meek and feeble-sounding name Ek. (Oak) In 1763, however, the Ek unit changed its name to sound more intimidating, and it became Slunga. (Sling, as in David vs. Goliath)

Adam Henriksson Slunga was a soldier in the Swedish army in Tornedalen from 1790 to 1810. His son moved to Alta in Norway and started what would become my family. At some point, the S in the name vanished, creating the mystery of the name's origin that would plague our family for more than 150 years. Turns out we're a bunch of Swedish warriors.

(I'm sure someone out there will know more than me about Swedish military organizational history, so please feel free to point out any errors)

Thorpe

Thorpe - from the Olde English "thorp", which was a Norse derivative meaning small hamlet or village. But in the case of the family Thorpe, it was a name grated to a Celt tribal leader from Southwestern Ireland who was the size of a small hamlet or village.

To this day when a descendant of great girth is born he, or she, is proclaimed a "true Thorpe". Even those with an abnormally large feature of some sort.. legs, for example.. are said to have "Thorpe legs".

The oddest feature perhaps is that Thorpes have small noses and small mouths, which makes it difficult to believe they can eat enough to supply such large bodies. But if you spend any time with a Thorpe, you will find that they never stop eating!

Westerbeek
Simple family of (peat) skippers. Actually my great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather (born at least before 1735) still has the exact same name as my own father.
The family is named after House Westerbeek (probably he was born close to there), a manor built near the Westerbeeksloot (a double, since "beek" means a brook, and a "sloot" is a small canal), where they transported the peat. The area around Westerbeeksloot was used for peat winning, which was owned by jonkheer (a low baron) Francois van Westerbeek, Commander of the fortress Steenwijk during the Dutch 80-years war (Indepence War). He himself was named after the Castle Westerbeek in The Hague, built around 1430 by Willem van Schagen, bailiff of that city and council member for the Council of Holland (chaired by the stadholder Hugo of Lannoy, lord of Santes, the first Burgundian stadholder of Holland). That castle was named, how appropriate, for a brook southwest of The Hague.

So after all, we are named after a brook. Although not the same one.

Quigley

My family originates in the isolated and desolate lands of Tír Chonaill, or modern day Donegal, at the very northern tip of Ireland. For much of our history we have been servants of various esteemed noble familys, most famously the esteemed ua Canannáins. In particular our family is named for our most famous member, the esteemed Donach Quigley, or as it was spelled then, O' Chaoghlaigh. He reached the peak of our families power in 1066 in the court of the Count of Tír Chonaill, as Steward. He was, in fact, the originator of our family name, as our family name means "unkempt hair", and his hair was known for it's unrulyness.

Unfortunately he was assassinated in 1070 by his archrival Fergal McHugh, the Count's chief marshal, starting a rivalry that continues down to the present day. It occured in a rather tragic manner when Fergal lured him to the local church while spreading rumours that the statue of the virgin mary there had moved. Donach, being a deeply religious man, was lured fatefully to his death.

Had he not been so cruelly assissinated in his prime it's possible that he could have gone on to much greater and virtuous things. Will you give Quigley's the world over the chance to change history and make our family as great as it truly deserves to be?

Pereira

The Pereira are an old Portuguese noble family named after their hometown, which translated literally means "Pear Tree".

The family as long been very influential in Portugal during the middle ages, but they reached their apex in the 14th century, when the general Nuno Alvares Pereira lead the Portuguese troops against overwhelming odds in the 1383-1385 Crisis. The decisive confrontation of the crisis was the battle of Aljubarrota in which he led to victory just 6,500 Portuguese against a 31,000 Castillian army. His achievements was so great that centuries later he was canonised by the Pope.

399px-Armas_pereira.svg.png

The Pereira Crest

(Though I am indeed called Pereira and the family is of my region I have no direct connection with them, though who knows)

Last edited:
Not very exiting, but:

EARL:

A travelling performer who usually played Earl's.

On a serious note, I'm researching my family tree and as soon as I find a suitably badass name I shall take it as my own (Although I don'd think we need ANOTHER de Vermandois) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.