• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Verenti

Lord Protector
154 Badges
Jul 8, 2003
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Cities in Motion
  • Diplomacy
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
Hello and Welcome to my First AAR. This AAR is using my modified version of the "vanilla" latest patch (non beta... I think). The modifications include adding in Chinese Kingdoms (Wei, Wu, Shu, Qin, Liang, Zhao, Chu, Zhou) and Nova Scotia and some minor adjustments to make Nova Scotia more realistic including adjusting populations to include African Minor and french populations, Changing Sydney's Industy to Coal from Timber and the such.

In this AAR I hope to create a story where we'll see what happened if Nova Scotians had alittle more vision and the evolution from a wooden ship based industrial to a more modern naval producer. And so without further adieu, I present to you the Prolouge of the story:

The year was 1785 and the war for American Independence had just ended. A peace was signed stating that all Colonial possessions to the south of the Northern New York boarder were resigned to the "patriots" and the Territory to the North was added to the Atlantic Dominion of Nova Scotia.

The Atlantic Dominion of Nova Scotia. It was a autonomous political body created out of the more Northern British Atlantic Territories. It's purpose to serve was two fold: Firstly and most obviously it was to content the more radical of the colonial inhabitants and reward the Loyalists of the New Scotland region. Secondly, reconising the power of the dynamic colonial minds it sought to empower them to serve Britain's purpose and they were so happy to oblige.

Unfortunatly, Britain's plan did not work as well as she had hoped and was forced to concede these loses after a long drawn out ten year battle, ending with the signing of the Treaty of Amsterdam. This was chosen as the spot for the signing of the peace out of humour, As New Amsterdam was to be the middle-point for peace.

The peace say uneasy between the Scotians and the Yankees, for both populations had been ideologically "purified" following large exodus of Republicans from the north and Monarchists from the south. They had become mortal enemies, and not for Britain, war would have indeed broken out. But alas there was a good 30 years before war would come to the region again.

That did not mean there was peace however. Militias from both North and South darted across the boarder raiding villages that only a few short years ago were brothers and sisters and loving cousins. Shouting warcries that varied between "God save the king!" and "Long live the Republic!" these Finnigans and McIsaacs went upon avenging crimes in fashions that drew new vendettas.

Then it all changed when war broke out. Not war in America, but war in Europe. The Republic ideals of which the Yankees had grown so fond of had taken root in the land of the fleur d'lis. The Revolution had come to France!

Britain and her ministers were in a hubbub but she was not in such a great hubbub that she needed to fret her colonies, So they minded not this whole affair, but were rather quite amused that those Frenchmen, who had cowardly aided their now distant cousins revolt,had fallen victim to their own guises!

The Scotians had a good laugh about it, for they had become as patriotic as any subject of the British Crown, even when it turned to ghastly carnage. They were a young people and has not yet developed the decency to feel sympathy. How ever when a state tired of Brutal executions fell into the hands of a young Corsican officer not a single inhabitant of New Scotland was laughing, with the notable exception of some twenty insane men who did not even keep track of such worldly events instead focusing on their own dimentia.

They realised that their good King would need their help and before he had a chance to dispatch a messenger to tell them so, Men had signed up in the dozens: "All you need is to send us arms! We will sew our own uniforms!" they cried and indeed they did although the King's men offered to do it for them, and the in the end did. From Boston to Halifax to Sydney to St. John, men signed up dozens at a time, eventually they the numbered exactly of One Hundred and Thirty Five Thousand and Twenty Nine men (135,029), strong and able. Infact the Loyalists from Scotia were so much in number, it took a great deal of time for the King's Navy to muster the ships to bring them across to fight the Little Corperal's army, so long was the time that some of these harty colonial men never left the docks in various ports across the Dominion and others were ferried across in fishing boats! In the county of Digby more than one merchant grew rich off these most spirited of men.

Eventually, thanks partially to these adventuring maritimers, Bonaparte was kicked off the Grand Contient of Europe to the tiny island of Elba, Which the Scotians laughed stating it was worthy of a man of his stature and so with the problem diffused they scuttled on home to their ports of origin and fishing villages and then the most puzzling thing happened, War broke out again!

The Americans, tired of the British harassing their ships abound for European Waters up and declared a state of war on British Empire her might subjects. When news reached Halifax the population became jubilent, so great was the celebration that even in the darkest corners of the world that Scotians would have been heard for they celebrated for many hours straigh and drank many tankards of beer. It was such a grand festival that the entire population of was hung over for a week.

They grabed their muskets, donned their uniforms, saddled their horses, unfurled their sails, beat their drumms and pipped their bag pipes and took every means of conveyance imaginable to the place where the war never quite died, The marches, rode and sailed down to the state of New York. Some enterprising Scotians even tried to contact James Watt, the inventor of the new steam contraption to move the sheer frieght of their equipment but it was to no use for he could not be contacted.

The hardy Scotia men arrived in New York without major incident and those that did come up were quickly put aside, for when more then a million men and women put their heads together with one goal for thirty years, no trivial matter will deter or delay them.

It was a war of epic proportions, The Scotians attacked and the Yankees withdrew and then the Yankees attacked and the Scotians withdrew but in the end the British Backed Scotians, Fresh from their wars with Petite M. Bonaparte, who was again gaining power on the continent of Europe, outmatched their Yankee counterparts and arrived in their city of Washington.

You see, everything about the Yankees and the Scotians contrasted. The Yankees Republicanism to the Scotians Monarchists, The Blue uniforms of the South to the Red Uniforms of the North, The farming of plantations to the fishing of the Great Atlantic, The Temperate climate off the Bay of Fundy to the Savannah of Virginia! As too was with the Capitals of these two great peoples, Washington was completely opposed to Halifax as they were both symbols of their people and thus could never have peace between the two while the other still stood. This became visable for all the world to see when Men of Halifax burnt the most precious of buildings, a shrine dedicated to the Republicanism of the Yankee, The White house!

At this point Great Britain, as she was Great, in her infinite wisdom realised that Scotian and Yankee were as French and English or Bonaparte and Wellington! So she pulled her rebellious child and her belligerant child to the table fit for negotiation and made them a peace agreeable which would create a buffer state between Yankee and Scotian. Thus was born the third great people of the American Continent: The New Yorker.

With the balance between the Industrious Shipmakers and the Agrarian Pioneers being the Cosmopolitan New Yorkers, who tried to incorperate the best of both Yankee and Scotian, there was finally peace in the region for a few good years, although Yankee and Scotian would both take any opertunity to say foul words about the other, but took no action of violence. Infact in the short time that these most colonial of peoples took to not dedicate themselves to warfare, they advanced more than a modest distance in becoming a civilized country of which the European neighbours of Great Britain could do buisness with.

I don't know what to say... Otherwise I would! ;)

I think this has some rollicking potential. I shall wait and see how it develops!

Rensslaer

Chapter 1: H.T. Irving's Proposition

irving.jpg

H.T IRVING

January 1st, 1836

The story begin as most must, for there is indeed a great many great that happened at this wonderous date, For it seems somthing is always beginning here and this story is no exception. Many years have passes since we've last heard of the Scotians and the Yankees with their fledgling cousin, New York.

So our story begins again in a room, in a stone building, on a street near a harbour. It could be any street in any harbour but it was not. It was Halifax Harbour and the street was Lower Water, and the room was the person office of H.T. Irving, A respectible buisness man of lean proportions. Mr. Irving was one individual who had recently come into favour with the King's Legislature, the governing body for the New Scotland Provinces.

Mr. Irving stood up, after giving ample time to speculation of his motives, and address the assembled men of great importance. "Gentlemen" he began "First and formost, God save the King" "God save the king" returned the men of great importance. Irving continued "As you may know, the bloody wars in Europe are offically over, and I assume much that they will be ancient history and will never been seen again. We have entered a more civilized time now that His Royal Highness and Parliment have chosen to do away with Slavery" This was recieved with a hearty "Hurrah!" "And with this new and exciting time, comes new and exciting ways! Yes sirs, Nova Scotia must undertake certain tasks if she is to survive against rampant Yankee Colonialism into the Western lands!" at this a large man with a great blonde beard and the great distinction of an eye patch to cover a gift from his beloved navy. His name was Richard Murphy, A military man and a vetern of Bonaparte's Wars and the War of 1812. He was indeed the physical incarnation of Jove as he enjoyed a great appitites for Laugher, Beer and Food. Great Mr. Murphy, if a little short sighted replied "Then we'll move westward too!" this was met with a mixed sort of odd looks and muffled laughter, for you see, the west of Nova Scotia was controlled by the British, who would look very unkindly to the Scotians moving in and annexing their lands. No, It was best to allow the King's men to expand as they see fit. Irving continued his speech "This brave new word is one of buisness! A you see gentlemen, buisness is run by Industry, so I propose the creation of an Industrial Council to promote the Industrialization of our brave colonial nation!"

After a quick and heated discussion on Irving's propistion for the Maritime peoples of Scotia they came to an accordance "Good Mr. Irving," The speaker was a man of his late sixties and known to every Scotian of the Capital as the Honourable Sir Charles Heath, The King's repersentitive on the Legislative Council, and the equivilent of an American President. "I find it fit to give my approval to your motion. Help me make this a most modern state." And at that the men of great importance retired from their short discusion regarding the future.

Outside the Office, H.T. Irving was accosted by the honerable Mr. Murphy "My good and dear friend" Richard's Jovial voice boomed "You did not discuss everything that is on your mind! You may be able to fool them with your fine theatrical skills but look! I can see it yet in your eyes!" Irving made a guesture to dismiss his energetic's friend's words "That is because, my friend, the words that remain would shock them out of the proposal all together, on a course that was anti-industrial in nature, and we would all be doomed!" "Doomed? Why is that?" "Because the world is a very different place. We are a proud people and set in our ways and I am afraid we are too arrogant to set things right before it is too late. We must change now, as all things do, or we will be over run." "All things? Are you suggesting that one day Great Britiain and the King's Union Jack will one day not be the greatest nation and the grandest flag?" was Murphy's haughty inquiry "Surely not!" was the reply "but even though we bested the Yankees in the last good war, that matters not. The age of wars is over and the age of Industrial power is begun: That is the next frontier on which conflict will arise! Industry! And our mortal enemies have the leg up on us!" At this the large man was shocked "Sir, you cannot be serious!" "Unfortunatly, My friend, I am. On top of that the world see them as a sort of land of opertunity which will trigger a population boom we will have a hard time controlling." but Murphy looked still puzzled and frowned "But this would not hold them back in the creation of new industries, If anything It would Sir Heath would be motivated by this news! Let us tell him!". But before he could move to the door, Irving siezed his arm "That is not all friend. We must abandon the sail" and at this Murphy was absolutly in shock "Good Sir! Have you gone mad? Would you too abandon God, King and Country? The Sea is our life! How can we abandon her now!" "We will not abandon the sea, but the 'wooden wall of England' is not the way of the future" "If not then what?" "Sir, Are you are a sailor and your father and his father I can understand your reluctance but allow me to suggest the 'Steel Wall of New Scotland'." "Steel Ships!? Prepostorous!" "I have a friend who assures me it is not so. Think of this: They already have Steam Ships in the glorious motherland, like Steam Engines, these will only increase in power with time. Eventually they will make a steam ship so powerful it will be able to push entire islands around the globe and we can then buy cities from other countries with our Industrial Dollar!" Mr. Murphy gasped at this "Incredible! You must introduce me to such savants! If I kept their company prehaps I would gain some sagely knowledge as you! Fine, it is good then, We will use mighty steam engines to make the Yankees quiver! Even if only at our capacity for trade!" "That's the spirit! But we must keep hushed on such matters! We musn't spring the trap before its made" and on that the two friends swore to keep quiet on the whole affair regarding steam ships.

On January 10th, 1836 the Industrial Council of Nova Scotia was offically created. It was composed of Ten Men including the Honerable H.T. Irving and oversaw the creation of new Factories in the Provinces of Nova Scotia (which were Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and New England) and by January 10th 1837 they had already finished the construction of a factory of Machine parts and a factory for Steel.

ScreenSave15.jpg

THE NEW YORK-YANKEE-SCOTIAN BOARDER OF 1936​

Last edited:
Call it nationalism mixed with Jules Verne. Levy en Masse, eh? Working on Entry 1 as this is written. It might not be finished until tommorrow though.

Edit: I put Chapter one where I said I'd put it so when this was written is ... out of date?

Edit2: Please note in the Screen shot I've had an awful lot of "recruits" lately. That is because I thought it silly that Nova Scotians would start without an army while their dread mortal enemies had a decent one! So I gave the Royal NS Army 10 divisions and Two navys of 10 ships each (5 man o wars and 5 frigates)

Last edited:
Verenti said:
...Please note in the Screen shot I've had an awful lot of "recruits" lately. That is because I thought it silly that Nova Scotians would start without an army while their dread mortal enemies had a decent one! So I gave the Royal NS Army 10 divisions and Two navys of 10 ships each (5 man o wars and 5 frigates)

excellent. some readers consider it cheating to augment your country this way. but i disagree. it is pragmatic. otherwise, you would be compelled to "grab your ankles..." well, you know the drill.

a really nice start ! subscribes.

Chapter 2: The Dream of one Mr. McPhee

mcphee.jpg

MR. PETER MCPHEE

crow.jpg

THE SPLIT CROW TAVERN

The industry under the Industrial Council produced marvelous results and by 1840, they had erected three new factories in the land bringing the total up to nine factories in all of Nova Scotia (Including the grand clipper shipyards in Halifax). Building factories is not cheap however but under the guidance of the Industrial Council and more specifically Enos Collins, who had established himself as an extremely wealthy man though a stint as the owner of the Liverpool Packet which A privateer vessel during the war 1812 who capture over fifty Yankee vessels, who's monitary acumen managed to fend off disaster by reallocating funds from other sources and instituting a "industry tax" from all corners of society. Enos would later go on to create the Nova Scotian Imperial Bank of Commerce or NSIBC which opened many branches through-out Canada, New York, The Tiny Republic of Texas and as far off as Mexico, even in the States of America Mr. Collins left his mark!

At one of their meetings in a building by the corner of Salter and Water streets near a real symbol of the Nova Scotian lifestyle: The Split Crow, a tavern as old as Halifax herself. The Industrial Council met in their General Office, now proud of their accomplishments to turning a hearty colonial nation into one of the top industrialized nations of their time. But their Accomplishments did not satisfy them, this was made evident when a broad man came forth with his suggestion. His name was Peter McPhee and he had spent many years studying in the old country studying how the rail system was relitive to the industrial success of the Motherland, He sought to redirect the production of the Industry to the production of rails. "My good friends and Comrades, It would only seem reasonable that the Cape Breton Highlands and her coal be connected to the Industry about in this glorious land!" Mr. Enos Collins scoffed at this request "Sir! I may be a man of miracles but even I had my limits, Physically and financially!" "Quite sir, but the industry has paid for itself already, let us let the industry tax remain in place and use the funds to launch the rails! With the natural resources in our great land and the money from our rich sea-fareing peoples we could establish a base rail system in a matter of years that reaches every corner of the Dominion!" "Quite." This reply came not from Enos Collins but from H.T. Irving who was sitting quietly in the corner of the room observing the progress of this discourse "But we can not continue to take from the people. Eventually they will become weary of our continued molestation of their finaces. We need to expand the industry while spending less money." at this Enos Replied "And how do you propose we do that, Good Friend Irving, I made my fortune off Yankee Merchants during the last war, Are you proposing we break this peace and make war against our hated foe?" "No, I still believe that the age of wars is over, despite what is happening in Texas or Eygpt. We may be a Colonial people and recently civilized, but Texas is a frontier nation and Eygpt is a land of uncivilized nomads. Both are behind in terms of Civilization, but have no fear, I assume that in a century or so they will become fully fledged nations and have no longer need of war. No instead of robbing the Yankees or making waged against the undeveloped peoples of the world, We should invest in this rail system, for I believe it will stimulate our factories and increase revenue of the state." And so the Industrial Council went about building the infrasturcture for the Provinces of Nova Scotia and founded a rail road company known as "Scotia Rails".

Recieved by the population with great optimism, the people of Nova Scotia became the keenest minds in rail-roads. Indeed, There was so much printings in the newspapers, Mainly the Nova Scotian, The Fredricton Chronicle and the Boston Times, that knowledge about such subjects such as the composure of rail road, the make of their engines, The average capacity of the finest British Engines. It was so much that the man on the street became well versed in the facts of Rail-roads and it became the center of many cafe and pub conversation. Academia and Laymen alike debated the finer points of Steam Locomotives, though none ever mentioned a downside to having a rail network for to these new Steam Engine Savants there was no downside! Indeed, The peoples of Nova Scotia had caught Rail Road Fever!

Capitalising on this new amour of the iron rail, The Members of the industrial council toured the country, from the fishermen of Newfoundland to the Academics of Boston to the lumberjacks of West New Brunswick, Irving was recieved by all with open arms. They cheers when they explained the virtues of this incredible new system and toasted them in pubs all up and down the Atlantic Coast. They even travelled with their speeches to New York, where they were recieved with great Manhattan Hospitality, with the suggestion that she too join them in rail, but nothing ever developed for a great many years, For that would mean joining the Yankees to the south with their rail system, Who Irving insured his people was quite inferior. This was not entirely true, but simply more of a Nationalistic reassurance.

And on August 1, 1844 Peter McPhee's vision of a Nova Scotia United by Rail came true. Inspired by the previously related successes the Jovial Mr. Richard Murphy related to the Industrial council, enthusiastically, his idea for a rail system that crossed the great Atlantic by means of a tot rail system. Unfortunatly, the Council toyed with such an idea by nothing ever materialised from such a grand idea. This did not deter the good seaman for he had caught the contagious spirit of an inventor and produced many ideas to Irving and his council for a good many years.

Last edited:
I would just like to note my photographs are originally from http://www.rogerco.freeserve.co.uk/ and I hope I'm not grabbing famous people for my fictional Characters, but its a great site for Victorian Photos. Sorry about the slow time between my posts, aswell. Thanks for reading. Expect the next one in about 4 days.

To prove that I do requests:

There are screenshots to where I am in the game (May, 1861) I've already written entries 3 and 4 and I'll be posting 3 tommorrow. I like to let my entries sit so I can go back to them and say "Oh, I should add that in" and "Maybe I should write somthing about this"

Here you have it though:

Nova Scotia in all its glory - No story to tell
scotia.jpg

Republicans in Russia! - No real story to tell. I assume their Republicans.
republicans.jpg

Italy and the Balkans - This is really an anomoly (one of many for this game really) because Italy NEVER forms in my games. Same with Germany.
italia.jpg

Indonesia and China - Britain doesn't own all that in China, There is currently a war going on and you know

indonesia.jpg

India - Britain has been Annexing Indian Minors. Unusual for my games especially since I believe the Indians are declaring war on Her Majesty's armies.

india.jpg

Egypt - Nothing Special here

eygpt.jpg

Denmark Prussia - That last war went badly for the Prussians. Britain and her allies sorta kicked them clean out of Denmark. The beginning of Scandinavia?

denmark.jpg

The Third of the Major Anomolies - Mexico kicked the US's butt in the war. I don't know how, I don't know why, but they cleaned their chronometers. The Mexicans in Spain is because that Mexican European war just started.

Carribea.jpg

And this has nothing to do with Victoria or Nova Scotia at all, Its a sprite I made last night from screen shots from the newly released, greatly acclaimed Japanese game "Super Robot Wars Alpha 3", The RX-93 Nu Gundam.

nu.gif

Sorry, I had to. Any other requests?

Check it out! The Empire State!

New York had a lot of problems with the whole "United States" thing... in some ways it's surprising they went along. They even had their own navy, I understand... to defend themselves from New Jersey!

Rensslaer

*blink*

Who is that Denmark is allied to - Mecklemburg? Don't tell me they've got Mecklemburg as a satellite now...

Chapter 3 - Limitations of the System

moss.jpg

SIR ALBERT MOSS

Although the early years featured unprecedented growth and a centralized control of the industry, This could not last. By 1850, it was realised there was not enough workers to man the factories and Nova Scotia was slowly slipping from the Industry race. The Yankees were getting fresh immagrants all the time with their expanding frontier but the Europeans had no intrest in the many harbours and inlets of the Nova Scotian coast. Sir Albert Moss, the replacement to the honerable Sir Charles Heath, tried many things to make the country more inviting to those who wished to leave the old world. Several reforms were inacted in the area of healthcare and worker's conditions to show that although industrial, Nova Scotia was a progressive nation but few men heeded his calls.

The dominion was not in total stagnation however, many advances and inventions allowed for limited growth in the industry. Industrial Theory allowed for greater revenue from the factories and Economic Theory allow for taxes to be collected in a more efficent manor: Both allowing the Legislation and their self proclaimed partner to ease taxes, allowing for more prosperity to the people under the Queen's reign.

By 1859, the aging Mr. Irving was in a posistion to revolutionise the Nova Scotian Primary Industry. He proposed a full blown conversion to Steamers.

Chapter 4 - Age of Steam Ships

lastsailing.jpg

THE LAST VOYAGE OF THE HMSS ANTIGONISH

legislature.jpg

THE HALIFAX LEGISLATURE

January 10th, 1860

TRANSCRIPT FROM H.T IRVING'S SPEECH TO THE QUEEN'S LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY

"Gentlemen, It should be obvious to even the most stalwart sailor that the Age of Sails has come to an end, It is indeed a sad thing and we should all weep at its passing, but we shall not tarry ourself in converting ourself to the American Way of inward expansion. We shall still be the masters of the Atlantic, next to her Majesty's Navy ofcourse, but our boats will not glide on the winds but rather by the virtue of the Steam Engine. In this brave new era We need to be open to new ideas if we are to build an industry better than that of the Yankees who are quickly exploiting the land they take!"

"We produce the worlds finest sail ships so we must use our talents now to build boats of iron and steel rather than boats of wood and cloth. I have prepared for this day, and it has finally come: Do not fret, I have already laid the groundwork for this transformation, it shall be seemless for the factor is already built! We are here to vote on this matter, if you vote 'aye' then we can once more stride into the future, if you vote 'nay' we are all damned."

H.T. Irving's speech (who was firmly into his 70's) was recieved with great acclaimed and on that very day, the twenty fourth anniversary of it's creation, the Industrial council was given a mandate to create a magnificent steamership yard. In the April of that year, After the completion of the Task, H.T Irving died and from a combination of grief and being heartbroken the Brave Admerial, Richard Murphy, followed his good friend in life ever so loyally into the grave.

Chapter 5 - The New Republic

shannov.jpg

MR. CHRISTOPHER NORMAN SHANNON

With the death of Irving, came the decline of the Industrial Council. Unable to make significant development of their former years and without a leader of significant talent and vision to lead their ranks, the council became a more minor branch of the Nova Scotian Government. Nova Scotia needed a new direction to move herself in, and that was provided from a young idealistic man who had recently departed from Dalhousie University. He came from an Aristocratic family, or as aristocratic as you can be having been born in the New World, and his family had taken up residence in Halifax after had been given a post by the now deceased King George III. He was an elegant and handsome man and he wore his hair slicked back, which was the fashion in the city at the time. During his time at Dalhousie, He studied many books on philosophers old and new. He read about Plato's Republic and Machiavelli's Prince. All the great thoughts of all the great men, wisdom of countless ages transcribes onto brittle paper, only to be absorbed by University Students and Scholars alike. This young new philosopher-statesman was named Christopher N. Shannon and for the last few months he was in a minor government appointment. A mere bueracrat, hardly a posistion for somone of his destiny.

In the night Mr. Shannon hung out bars and parks and addressed the "common man" and preached to him the virtues of men like Rousseau and Voltaire, Hobbes and Decartes. It was not the words of these men that inspired those he talked with, For in truth, It was lost upon the masses, but it did somthing else: He moved men to have the desire to learn. He talked with such passion that it stirred the stagnant emotions of men and moved them to think.

And this inspiration in turn inspired him. He began speaking not just at night in seedy taverns in the dead of night but whenever he had free time and everywhere he spoke he move men and women. In the staunch bueracratic quaqmire and in the streets, people devored his words and it was not long until word of his words reaches the ears of the Highest members of government. They watched how he stirred men and had a choice to make: Silence him and loose an incredible talent or recruit him and have him spout this Dogma. They thought it wise to choose the latter. They promoted him to assistant to the minister of Agriculture, a position of little power in this seaward country and commissioned him to write a reccomendation for the future of the country. Many nights he spent re-writing and revising his paper, Eventually it was completed and it was a general reccomendation which contained many great words by many great men and a few words of his own "There are two types of Great Peoples in the world: Those who rule with the fist and those whole rule with the mind. Althought Rome will forever be within the annuls of History, she will never be remembered like Great Athens, who'se lifestyle will never be forgotten but her words too. We could be great and stand up to the vagabonds of the south with arms and cannon, or we can immortalise ourselves as the most enlightened peoples world over and we shall be remembered by histories until the end of time" and a variety of quotes ensued of French, Italian and Greek nature. Not only was this essay suggesting the advancement of Philosophical works, it was also suggesting construction of theatres, creating funds for dramatists and comedians so they would not be so hard pressed in the creation of their works, Public Studioes for artists to paint and sculpt. He also suggesting setting up a fund to pay for University proffessors to teach public classes on Philosophy and theory in forums so that even the most unprivilidged could learn the great works of men.

The Dawn of 1861 saw some troubling developments across the North American Contient. To the far south, the Yankees' cousins, the elegant country gentlemen of the lands of the Dixie no longer wished to be ruled but instead chose to forge their own paths in the world: A New Republic! Naturally the Yankees found this development most troubling and decided to put an end to this habberdash ideas of independence.

Verenti said:
The Third of the Major Anomalies - Mexico kicked the US's butt in the war. I don't know how, I don't know why, but they cleaned their chronometers.
IIRC, the Mexicans occasionally beat the USA. however, in your game the USA lacks its New England component. that change explains the Mexican victory. also, that change would make the Confederates almost certain to win the Civil War.

Rensslaer said:
Check it out! The Empire State!

New York had a lot of problems with the whole "United States" thing... in some ways it's surprising they went along.

i remember being taught in a history class that New York (the state) refused to join the Union [that is, ratify the (new) Constitution and join the United States] until New York City threatened to succeed from New York State and join the Union as a free city!

Verenti said:
To the far south, the Yankees' cousins, the elegant country gentlemen of the lands of the Dixie no longer wished to be ruled but instead chose to forge their own paths in the world: A New Republic! Naturally the Yankees found this development most troubling and decided to put an end to this habberdash ideas of independence.

hmmm. how much was the South damaged by the loss(es?) to Mexico?

excellent updates! !