Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 9: Policies & Ideas & More

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's written that all Discipline values are halved. The only ones reported in that list are the ones which weren't simply halved.
Then sorry for this mess, if it's like this then it's perfect. Anyways i still think that sweden should keep their +15% since they have it early game.

I think it would make sense to give Brandenburg some Saxony-like NIs and let anyone who manages to form Prussia get Prussia's ideas.
Agreed.
Brandenburg wasn't a military powerhouse (technically neither was Prussia until a certain one king). It was 'merely' an important elector with more clout than most princes. It was diplomatically inclined, and it was even through diplomacy it got Prussia in the first place.

Also, Brandenburg/Prussia doesn't fail ingame because of it's ideas, it fails because it starts in a very bad position. You could give it massively OP ideas and I guarantee that it would still fail most of the time. So nerfing the discipline by a quarter will not really hurt Prussia that much. And remember it gets the AE reduction, which is arguably better than the spy benefit.

Can you explain my why are Ottomans nerfed? I know Ghazi was OP, but even with that OP idea the Ottomans had failed to threaten Austria/Hungary/Poland by any means, let alone Europe.
Ottos were strong indeed in multi but, hey, isn't this game balanced around single player? So I don't know how will AI Otto threaten anything except Mamluks, which they leave splitted chunks of theirs live on their own in the end anyway.

Can you explain my why are Ottomans nerfed? I know Ghazi was OP, but even with that OP idea the Ottomans had failed to threaten Austria/Hungary/Poland by any means, let alone Europe.
Ottos were strong indeed in multi but, hey, isn't this game balanced around single player? So I don't know how will AI Otto threaten anything except Mamluks, which they leave splitted chunks of theirs live on their own in the end anyway.
Hungary doesn't have the increased coring cost anymore. If they give Otto some missions in that region, the Ottomans will be really scary in Europe. Like they should.

no they shouldn't

they weren't so rich and prosperous
I never said they were, and I didn't say the bonuses had to be good, but I really don't think they should get the ideas they have now as early in the game. Prussia's army was expanded and modernised in the first half of the 18th century. I think you fill your national ideas 100-150 years before that (I don't know exactly when), and Brandenburg with those ideas is a monster. Especially when controlled by an expansionist player whose only goal is to conquer all of its neighbours.

I never said they were, and I didn't say the bonuses had to be good, but I really don't think they should get the ideas they have now as early in the game. Prussia's army was expanded and modernised in the first half of the 18th century. I think you fill your national ideas 100-150 years before that (I don't know exactly when), and Brandenburg with those ideas is a monster. Especially when controlled by an expansionist player whose only goal is to conquer all of its neighbours.

That's irrelevant, AI Prussia fails most of the time, human Prussia is surely not as overpowered as many others such as Russia or Austria

Janissary-Shiite- Prussia looked pretty overpowered.

If you have the ability to culture shift into that, you likely have the ability to do much more without bothering with massive religion shift + vassal province sale manipulation + removing an elector.

The setup would take so long that despite the great units you'd eventually get, you'd probably still finish a WC more slowly than England or France just because once you're 100's of regiments larger and western, unit quality doesn't matter that much.

If you have the ability to culture shift into that, you likely have the ability to do much more without bothering with massive religion shift + vassal province sale manipulation + removing an elector.

The setup would take so long that despite the great units you'd eventually get, you'd probably still finish a WC more slowly than England or France just because once you're 100's of regiments larger and western, unit quality doesn't matter that much.

Im refering to this http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?761714-Ultimate-Juggernaut-Prussian-AAR. I think OP did this more as a fun idea and not for WC, not everything has to be one. ;)

I wouldnt even attempt that because too bothersome for the reasons you mentioned.

Agreed.
Brandenburg wasn't a military powerhouse (technically neither was Prussia until a certain one king). It was 'merely' an important elector with more clout than most princes. It was diplomatically inclined, and it was even through diplomacy it got Prussia in the first place.
Not quite. They got it through diplomacy, but it was diplomacy based on being a mercenary state. The problem right now is there's no way to have temporary alliances or loan out troops for diplomatic or economic benefits, which is what Prussia did to achieve it's diplomatic successes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_William,_Elector_of_Brandenburg

I feel espionage might be a decent idea group now that it's in the diplomatic group

Trust me, it is still craptastic as ever. If they made the -50 affect that countries allies too.. then maybe starts to become worth it. Surprise break their alliances if they have been neglecting them, and pounce on your enemy, would be very good in one of my MP games.

Along with the discipline halving, is morale being halved too? Some guy said it was, earlier on in the thread.

Either way, I hate these changes.

Along with the discipline halving, is morale being halved too? Some guy said it was, earlier on in the thread.

Either way, I hate these changes.
Yes, morale is being nerfed too (from +25% to 10% for piety, +5% defender of faith, +15% defensive idea etc) don't know about other NIs morale bonus, but prolly they got halved too.

Morale is also halved , we knew it long time ago

Do you have a source for that?

It make sense as now all the following give morale; national ideas +20%, army tradition +25%, prestige +20%, reformed religion +15%, power projection +10%, defender of the faith +10% and whatever the new policies are probably around 15-20%. Did I miss anything?

While we all know piety and defensive got nerfed it won't make much difference if NIs, AT and prestige doesn't take a hit too. Nations like France and Brandenburg can still stack all of those modifiers without much trouble.

Last edited:
Trust me, it is still craptastic as ever. If they made the -50 affect that countries allies too.. then maybe starts to become worth it. Surprise break their alliances if they have been neglecting them, and pounce on your enemy, would be very good in one of my MP games.
MP stream showed more changes to Espionage than what the dev diary has. Who knows if those changes are going through.

Not quite. They got it through diplomacy, but it was diplomacy based on being a mercenary state. The problem right now is there's no way to have temporary alliances or loan out troops for diplomatic or economic benefits, which is what Prussia did to achieve it's diplomatic successes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_William,_Elector_of_Brandenburg

Just slightly off-topic but I was reading that article you linked and it said this great elector was "a staunch pillar of the Calvinist faith". Now if I'm to understand how Christianity are organized in EU4 game, shouldn't Prussia, if selected in timeline after its conversion in 1525 (it already having been in existence since 1510), be set to Reformed religion instead of Protestant religion? I was under impression that Calvinism falls under Reformed rather than Protestant.

Just slightly off-topic but I was reading that article you linked and it said this great elector was "a staunch pillar of the Calvinist faith". Now if I'm to understand how Christianity are organized in EU4 game, shouldn't Prussia, if selected in timeline after its conversion in 1525 (it already having been in existence since 1510), be set to Reformed religion instead of Protestant religion? I was under impression that Calvinism falls under Reformed rather than Protestant.

Calvism does fall under Reformed, but in game terms it wouldn't be a good idea to have Prussia as a reformed nation, because it's core provinces (Prussia, Brandenburg, Pommerania, Magdeburg) were never converted to Calvinism. Only Cleves had a sizable Calvinist population. Prussia would have a very low religious unity percentage, which would be crippling.

When the electors tried to impose Calvism, the citizens of Berlin revolted. Calvinism in Brandenburg was mostly a court phenomenon.

You're correct about what translates to reformed and protestant in the game: Namely Calvinist/zwinglian for reformed, and the churches of the confessio augustana + anglican church on the other side.

About Prussia, if I remember correctly:
The teutonic hochmeisterconverted to the protestant faith, creating the duchy of Pruss in the middle of the 1520's, before Calvin started his work in Genève.
There was however a few dukes of Prussia/counts of Brandenburg who were of the calvinist faith in the 1600's, but they could not make the church there calvinist. The country and the priests in the duchy where lutheran, and that would translate into protestant in the game, even though if the ruler were of another faith.

One wiki link to back up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandenburg-Prussia#Religion_and_immigration