Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 9: Policies & Ideas & More

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok I would like some clarification. Are these patch or dlc changes? I hear some people saying patch and some saying dlc. Not that it matters much to me but just want to make sure everyone knows what we are talking about.

A lot are free features, the policies are. Government buildings (beyond Temple) still aren't worth getting, so support future development of the game and buy the DLC just in case.

So, does westernization remain laughably and ahistorically easy?

Westernization will be significantly harder for many nations if the AI uses Trade Companies intelligently. You cannot westernize off of a province that is a part of a "Trade Company".

Last edited:
France SHOULD NOT have more discipline then Prussia
Not even 0.1% more..It should be the same at least

France SHOULD NOT have more discipline then Prussia
Not even 0.1% more..It should be the same at least

Dear god, AGAIN. France HAS NOT more discipline than Prussia. France's discipline was simply halved from 10% to 5%, as EVERY discipline value in the game was. Prussia was NERFED, going from 20% to 15% and THEN being halved to 7.5%, and as such it is reported in the list.

For country specific ideas, we will not list when discipline, fire, shock OR production efficiency have changed, unless it was not just halved, or made generals only.

Yesterdays stream showed a -0.10 WE/month policy for military. I would run it almost permanently if that version makes it in the game.

To reduce WE by 12.0, even over a period of 10 years, at the cost of only 120 DIP points. I can see why it was removed. A prime example of something that would make multiplayer a nightmare.

A lot are free features, the policies are. Government buildings (beyond Temple) still aren't worth getting, so support future development of the game and buy the DLC just in case.

Westernization will be significantly harder for many nations if the AI uses Trade Companies intelligently. You cannot westernize off of a province that is a part of a "Trade Company".
planned on buying anyway though I may hold off if they don't have a preorder discount since so many features are patch. Just watching my money and frankly I'm on a ck 2 kick right now.

I feel like I will never be in a situation, where I would consider a policy to be viable - especially when playing non-european nations. So what are they? A european buff? Yeah, that's what we all were drooling over.

The diplomatic idea seems even more mandatory to pick ... Espionage doesn't seem to be remodeled to be viable and production is nerfed as well. Well, I GUESS, I will pick diplomatic first or at least second. Where's the CHOICE?

Somewhat disappointed ... at least from the read.

To reduce WE by 12.0, even over a period of 10 years, at the cost of only 120 DIP points. I can see why it was removed. A prime example of something that would make multiplayer a nightmare.

The policies Besuchov's post is showing are not all there are. I assume they only show those you have access to.

I can't see a situation, where I will spare Mp on, for example, Trade eff. +10% or something like that. It will not even cover +1 level of advisor to compensate for drained MP. Even with 999 points there's always better and overwhelmengly more useful ways to spend your MP. Yes, they could be useful...in the last 100 years where everyone is western.
In the last MP sessions of Paradox stream almost everyone simply ignored Policies. And for good reason - they are not worth it.
The very idea is good, but raw and undeveloped.
IMO what could make Policies not worthless:
1. Make some free policies available akin to d.relations.
2. Make them cost gold. There's a frequent abdurance of gold but MP is always lacking.
3. Make them available right after Idea adoption.

I personally think Brandenburg and Prussia should lose all of it's military oriented ideas and replace them with economical, diplomatic and possibly trade oriented ones. The military stuff should be decision or event based with more excluding triggers than to just level up your ideas. Triggers could maybe be a ruler with a high MIL stat and not being over 7(?) provinces in addition to owning East Prussia and not Danzig or Marienburg (not sure about these ownership requirements). This would give them a much needed buff, but just if they actually need it (not too large etc.).

Instead of monarch points free decisions we will have monarch points hungry policies

this is step backward not a good addition

ideas rebalance is laughable and barely touched as-well

and ofc those nerfs, nerfs neeeeeeeeeeeerfs

whole dlc looks pretty lazy imho

I can't see a situation, where I will spare Mp on, for example, Trade eff. +10% or something like that. It will not even cover +1 level of advisor to compensate for drained MP. Even with 999 points there's always better and overwhelmengly more useful ways to spend your MP. Yes, they could be useful...in the last 100 years where everyone is western.
In the last MP sessions of Paradox stream almost everyone simply ignored Policies. And for good reason - they are not worth it.
The very idea is good, but raw and undeveloped.
IMO what could make Policies not worthless:
1. Make some free policies available akin to d.relations.
2. Make them cost gold. There's a frequent abdurance of gold but MP is always lacking.
3. Make them available right after Idea adoption.
One could also give them a negative side effect in another area (a conscription policy will mean less people working the fields -> lower production)
monarch points are just too valuable to waste on minimal temporary boosts.
Paying a variable upfront cost (instead of 120 over time) could also help - the policies are not balanced, their costs needn't be the same everywhere.

What is the difference between Kurland and Courland?
Courland is the country (in the english language version), Kurland is the province (all versions)

Ok I would like some clarification. Are these patch or dlc changes? I hear some people saying patch and some saying dlc. Not that it matters much to me but just want to make sure everyone knows what we are talking about.
patch changes.

I personally think Brandenburg and Prussia should lose all of it's military oriented ideas and replace them with economical, diplomatic and possibly trade oriented ones. The military stuff should be decision or event based with more excluding triggers than to just level up your ideas. Triggers could maybe be a ruler with a high MIL stat and not being over 7(?) provinces in addition to owning East Prussia and not Danzig or Marienburg (not sure about these ownership requirements). This would give them a much needed buff, but just if they actually need it (not too large etc.).

no they shouldn't

they weren't so rich and prosperous

I could see myself using policies if I got the power-projection bonus, and then invest those in those giving extra diploreputation, and then starting to annex vassals.