Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 9: Policies & Ideas & More

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Production Efficiency modifiers have been reduced at various places, as the cap of +200 was reached easily, making economic techs and investments useless from the mid game.

Why is PE capped at 200? Surely such limitations would become irrelevant in late-game as early industrial revolution begins in earnest around 1750 in some countries. I think this cap should be made so that it becomes obsolete by that date or something, maybe depending on some late-game factors.

Policies seem rather interesting, and I'm going to wonder how much we can mod them as well...
I know its due to my mod giving me static rulers (so I always have a certain spread of stats), but I'm always just rolling in points - well mostly MIL and DIP. Especially MIL. So this should be fun. Especially if they're nice and easy to mod ;)

Not quite. They got it through diplomacy, but it was diplomacy based on being a mercenary state. The problem right now is there's no way to have temporary alliances or loan out troops for diplomatic or economic benefits, which is what Prussia did to achieve it's diplomatic successes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_William,_Elector_of_Brandenburg
Obviously throughout a near 400 year period it isn't irregular for a state that existed hte entire time to have more than one competent/lucky/good monarch/general that won wars. Heck even Denmark had good generals and won wars. But for Brandenburg it is firstly at the very end, and secondly how did Brandenburg get there. Not by being an army with a state, but rather by being shrewd negotiators that managed to maintain their advanced position in a very dangerous environment. So Frederick III/I inherited a more militarised state, which he then turned into Prussia. Well, I think that goes very well in hand with Prussia being the military wonder, and Brandenburg being something else. Something along the lines of Hesse's often mentioned ideas, Mercs, diplomacy and production (they were always striving for higher output in their poor lands, so I think it is a deep seated national idea).

They weren't nerfed. Discipline acts differently so all countries had discipline values changed.
Your statement might be correct if all countries had their discipline values changed by the same ratio. However, most countries were merely halved, Prussia's changes were far more harsh.

By any definition this is another Prussia nerf.

And I agree that it wasn't necessary. I'd already stopped looking toward Prussia when I want a militaristic game. There are better options out there (e.g., SWE, MUS, TUR), moreso now after this patch, I suspect.

Your statement might be correct if all countries had their discipline values changed by the same ratio. However, most countries were merely halved, Prussia's changes were far more harsh.

By any definition this is another Prussia nerf.

And I agree that it wasn't necessary. I'd already stopped looking toward Prussia when I want a militaristic game. There are better options out there (e.g., SWE, MUS, TUR), moreso now after this patch, I suspect.
It is actually just 5%. 20-5=15 15/2=7.5 I don't think that is as harsh as the comments in this thread make it out to be..

Not too sure what I think about the Prussian discipline nerf, same goes for Ghazi being re-worked; Ottoderps are going to be way easier to contain now..

It is actually just 5%. 20-5=15 15/2=7.5 I don't think that is as harsh as the comments in this thread make it out to be..
It is harsh. Most countries don't have discipline or morale bonus as NI. So Prussia lose 12.5% Discipline, while Russia lose nothing. That is a hell big nerf.

It is harsh. Most countries don't have discipline or morale bonus as NI. So Prussia lose 12.5% Discipline, while Russia lose nothing. That is a hell big nerf.
You can't lose something you haven't got. I'd love to have *any* discipline at all.

Btw, your math is wrong - Prussia lost just 2.5%. It's getting halved all across the board, so it's 20/2 = 10 vs. 7.5.

But discipline also becomes twice as good, which is why most values are halved. The new 5% will be about as good as the old 10%, and Prussia's 7,5% will still be better than most everyone else (but not twice as good as it was before). It's a nerf for Prussia, but not a huge one.

You can't lose something you haven't got. I'd love to have *any* discipline at all.

That is a very pretentious way to phrase: "Those countries simply don't get nerf".
The power balance between Prussia and other power players like Russia or Lithuania has been shifted. Between 7.5% Discipline and 50% Force Limit, I gonna pick the later one.

But discipline also becomes twice as good, which is why most values are halved. The new 5% will be about as good as the old 10%, and Prussia's 7,5% will still be better than most everyone else (but not twice as good as it was before). It's a nerf for Prussia, but not a huge one.
A 100% bonus on ATK is vastly difference from 50% on ATK and 50% on DEF. With pure ATK, Prussia win battle before enemy has chance to reinforce. Now since discipline gonna boost DEF, battle gonna drag longer thus more giving more advantage to the countries with larger army. That is another indirect nerf on Prussia.

That is a very pretentious way to phrase: "Those countries simply don't get nerf".
The power balance between Prussia and other power players like Russia or Lithuania has been shifted. Between 7.5% Discipline and 50% Force Limit, I gonna pick the later one.

But you aware that Discipline is better now, right? So you are comparing 7.5% NewDiscipline to 50% Force Limit, not 7.5% OldDiscipline? Also, Prussia gets better morale, better army tradition and western troops, so I think they'll be fine once they get to a certain size, which has always been their greatest problem.

A 100% bonus on ATK is vastly difference from 50% on ATK and 50% on DEF. With pure ATK, Prussia win battle before enemy has chance to reinforce. Now since discipline gonna boost DEF, battle gonna drag longer thus more giving more advantage to the countries with larger army. That is another indirect nerf on Prussia.

Or it might mean that a country with high discipline hardly takes any damage, which would help preserve manpower, effectively reducing one of Russia's great advantages.

But you aware that Discipline is better now, right? So you are comparing 7.5% NewDiscipline to 50% Force Limit, not 7.5% OldDiscipline? Also, Prussia gets better morale, better army tradition and western troops, so I think they'll be fine once they get to a certain size, which has always been their greatest problem.
Prussia are not gonna be fine when Russia westernized. Furhter more, DEF bonus from discipline gonna prolong battle even more, thus nation with large army will have more time to use retreat/reinforce trick. The change is a big one and gonna rearrange tiers between countries.

Or it might mean that a country with high discipline hardly takes any damage, which would help preserve manpower, effectively reducing one of Russia's great advantages.
Lol, 7.5% extra DEF gonna save how much man power? Preserve man-power means nothing one you lose the wars. You exchange Prussia power to stack wipe for a man power competitiveness which Prussia will never win. Stack wipe > Man power reservation.