Europa Universalis IV – Developer Diary 1 – The world is at your feet

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Some of those provinces look really big, in particular those two huge provinces in australia so i'm assuming they cannot be colonised or explored, right? like permanent terra incognita?

Also, it looks as if a lot more of Western Siberia and the Nevada/Colorado area is now playable
Guys, it was written right there above the map in the OP that you are commenting on:
Here is a quick look of a small version of the underlying map defining which province is which, as it looks right now, before the major province overhaul.

The map looks really pretty. One ugly thing is the way the trade routes moves across the beach. Could you make on-map ports where the sea trade routes terminate? Perhaps even a port that changes size according to the volume of trade going though it?
Similarly, it would be awesome if the land trade routes would snake along a visible road (the condition of which could also be determined by the trade volume passing through it).

The map looks really pretty. One ugly thing is the way the trade routes moves across the beach. Could you make on-map ports where the sea trade routes terminate? Perhaps even a port that changes size according to the volume of trade going though it?
Similarly, it would be awesome if the land trade routes would snake along a visible road (the condition of which could also be determined by the trade volume passing through it).

That would be very cool.

Please create province of Istria on the istrian peninsula, and not as Trieste, i really dont see the purpose of that change that you made in dw.

I notice that the 'trade post' is placed right inside the city (notice the barrel and crate), so I assume that is also going to change.

Second, you need to have a rather convex shape of a province. If you don´t do this, you'll end up with all sorts of unintuitive thoughts when it comes to where units should move and how quickly.

Third, you need to bear in mind the number of connections a province has to neighboring territories. The number of neighbors is a crucial factor in military matters, and for game balance purposes.

So, if we valued history over balance or ease of play, an historical province of Warmia would be small, serpentine and surrounded by a concave province. This presents a lot of problems for a province-based game as we mentioned earlier.[/img]
These are excellent arguments for why Idre should be moved from the long and narrow Dalaskogen to convex Jämtland! :p

Also, seems like there are tons of provinces in Japan, that looks promising.

Also, seems like there are tons of provinces in Japan, that looks promising.

Japan in the screenshot is the same as in Divine Wind as we haven't made any changs to Japan yet.

+1¡

I thought DW already gave Japan way too many provinces. I wouldn't mind Japan being cut down to only a handful. England can easily lose provinces too as far as I care. No interesting invasions happened to either these countries and EU3 just doesn't work as a civil war game. You've made a Sengoku game, the horribly abstract and inaccurate version of it for Divine Wind just felt like a dull compromise.

As long as we get the game ASAP, i dont really care about shapes of stuff, after all it gives modders stuff to mod XD

When will we see the first version of the new province map? Is it possible that before you release the final map you ask for the players input on the naming of provinces and capitals?

seconded to this (probably because as a fellow Hungarian I am really confused with EU3's Hungarian provinces/capitals).

I am also curious about the requirements of improved graphics :p

Looks wonderful! What about permanent Terra Incognita, will that concept be changed or kept?

Hopefully they'll spice up the British's (Or maybe other nations'?) colonization of Australia with events and such. Even though it would be towards late-game I would enjoy it in there.

What!I just noticed the himalias don't make a suprised face!I am dissapointed :(