EUIV - Update on 1.29 Manchu and Known Issues and workarounds! (updated 2019-09-24)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As already mentioned, the refresh rate for "Fullscreen" is broken, as it does not matter to what value you change it, it is forced on 60.

I changed the refresh rate to 144 in the settings.txt, but to no avail, it instantly changed it back to 60.
When setting "vsync off", the refresh rate reached 144 in "Fullscreen", but it was just unplayable.

////
Although we had fullscreen in the past, the reworked "Fullscreen" doesn't trigger any flickering of my monitor, it just works perfectly except the refresh rate issue. So that's an improvement.
What I would be interested in: Is there any reason why only vsync is supported but not freesync etc.? (except production cost..)

What surprised me also, is that all the GUI stuff (also post-launcher) is drawn in absolute coordinates. In my opinion that's insanity, but that's a rant for another day.

Last edited:
Well at least some of the people can play the game. I can't even get the launcher to install I get that 1603 error and looking at the log file it talks about the failure stemming from a missing file. 3 Re-reinstalls later still fails, I even tried removing all of my EU4 files on the computer and reinstalling nope nothing.

Edit: Funny the second I finished posting this I decided to try launching steam in Admin mode to see if that worked and it did. Whether it was coincidence or not I do not know but the launcher installed and I am now back in the game.

Last edited:
To solve this problem you need to edit your game resolution. I suggest you to edit file *settings.txt* which is located in C:\Users\*****\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV. If you open this you can edit game resolution, gui_scale and min_gui; in my case is:
graphics={
size={
x=1920
y=1080
}
min_gui={
x=1280
y=720
}
gui_scale=1.000000
I have a full hd monitor.

BUG: I have an issue with *F10 screeshots*, when I click F10 in "political map mode" is all right, but when I use another map mode (diplomatic, unrest, ecc...) the map screenshot is broken .
Greetings

Thanks a lot for your response Stingnap. I have checked my settings in the said folder. The specs are exactly the same as the ones you specified. Should I change these values to a certain value or are these the optimal ones (which means that I am doomed :) ). Thanks once again for your reply. Best wishes.

Hi, guys! I'm running on Linux (Debian 10) and the game crashes when I want to launch it. Here is the crash info as printed in syslog:
```
Sep 19 22:16:32 kernel: [ 1150.640848] Paradox Launche[6083]: segfault at 10 ip 00007f03367036c0 sp 00007ffc51b412e8 error 4 in libpthread-2.28.so[7f03366ff000+f000]
Sep 19 22:16:32 kernel: [ 1150.640875] Code: ff 48 8d 0d c2 af 00 00 ba b1 01 00 00 48 8d 35 4b ae 00 00 48 8d 3d ff ae 00 00 e8 1a bb ff ff 8b 03 e9 45 fa ff ff 0f 1f 00 <8b> 47 10 89 c2 81 e2 7f 01 00 00 83 e0 7c 0f 85 9c 00 00 00 48 83
```
I could only launch it once after the update. I loaded a saved game, saved it again and exited - that's all I did. Afterwards, I couldn't launch it anymore.

This may not technically be an issue, but as I understand it, now that banners cost 16 dev der unit, the "These Banners Need A Saga" achievement now requires 1600 dev of Manchu culture, which would now make it one of the hardest achievements in game, needing you to convert all of China and some more. Should the achievement be maybe changed?

This may not technically be an issue, but as I understand it, now that banners cost 16 dev der unit, the "These Banners Need A Saga" achievement now requires 1600 dev of Manchu culture, which would now make it one of the hardest achievements in game, needing you to convert all of China and some more. Should the achievement be maybe changed?
The amount of available banners increases by 50% after every age and may be additionally increased by National Ideas. That should reduce the development needed to around 600 points.

Thanks a lot for your response Stingnap. I have checked my settings in the said folder. The specs are exactly the same as the ones you specified. Should I change these values to a certain value or are these the optimal ones (which means that I am doomed :) ). Thanks once again for your reply. Best wishes.
I had your same issue after update, "playing" with that values I solved that, try also to set game in fullscreen.

Had the same issue a while back, I can see it is not in the backlog of issues we have listed here. Will add that. Cheers.
Merci... hope i get to see you in Berlin... ;)

As a little update : i reverted to v1.28.3, and could log in my Paradox account on the old Launcher... but still couldn't on the new Launcher when updating back to v1.29.

So to all those having that issue with the installation of the launcher where it says exit error 6004 or something like that just switch back the game to the previous version before this and it all works fine.

I have a problem about performance on my windows pc, before update i got 360-370 FPS on main menu but now just getting 190-200 FPS. Also, in game FPS value is decreased about %30-35. My system is; i7 9750H CPU, 1660Tİ GPU and 8x2 GB RAM.

I have some bugs with the new launcher that are not listed or not mentioned by others:

1) The launcher is not always updating for changes to local mods ( non steam ). It does update some times but there seems some kind of strange delay that is not consistent and leaving steam ( total log out) seems to have no impact.

examples:

a) renamed one local non Steam mod and the launcher would not display the new name for multiple attempts then I again renamed it something else and the launcher showed the in between name...... it is like there is some kind of random delay. Would be nice to have a refresh local content button.

b) Another one of my 18 local non steam mods would not show up in the launcher no matter what I did. Always showed in the old launcher. Ended up moving the exact content into one of the other mods and the game was happy and the content worked in game.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

2) Noticed a steam mod updated in the steam workshop content directory but the related file that is supposed to show up in documents did not show up for a long time latter. So the one in steam workshop was updated for 1.29 but the new type of .mod file in documents still was the steam created quote "legacy" 1.28 so there is some kind of delay issue.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3) Noticed that when steam mods update in the steam workshop content folder for EU4 the files have the modified date but the folder does not have a modified date. For example if a mod updates on September 19 the folder still shows September 18 but there will be files inside dated September 19. The same system for Stellaris does not have this problem - both the folder and the content get new updated modified dates. This is usefull to see if a mod auto updated.

It is really too bad Paradox did not copy the Stellaris launcher as it works fine. Maybe Stellaris and Eu4 could do a trade - Eu4 gives Stellaris its notification system and Stellaris give Eu4 its launcher system.

:D

Actually my first time playing the Manchurian Region now, so I don't know if that "bug" is somewhat known or due to the new patch.
In the mission tree of Jianzhou/Manchu there is a mission called "Unite the Jurchen Tribes" I suppose (I play the german version, but I think it should be equivalent to that one). It requires 15 core provinces in the region. Nonetheless it says for me that those 15 provinces need to be obtained in West Siberia. If I hover over the question mark to see the requirements on the map it shows the correct provinces, in Manchuria. And yet, although I have gained even 20 provinces to form Manchu, the mission still cannot be completed.
It's not more than an inconvenience, but it still cuts off the rest of the mission tree, which is way more fun as well.
I hope it's fixable, maybe even without having to start over due to incompatibility.

Update: Mission could be completed after obtaining 30 provinces, so it might just be two "typos".

Last edited:
I no longer have nation flags, see below. Tried a fresh install but nothing changed.

upload_2019-9-19_18-48-45.png

upload_2019-9-19_18-49-58.png

So this has always been a problem for me in Victoria II, but has never been an issue in EU4 until the new update. When picking different resolutions, my mouse cursor inflates along with the resolution. For it to be normal sized I have to max out the resolution, making the popups and words incredibly small. The UI scaling used in Stellaris and HOI4 seems to work much better. Is there any way I can fix this manually?

And to those complaining about inadequate testing - the last time i saw an approximate number for hardware combinations in the Windows world - it was north of 1 trillion. You can't test every single combination of hardware, it's just not feasible. And you can't tell that the keyboard software installed for your Corsair Keyboard has a weird software interaction for the Mpuse driver for your Razr mouse - but only when you have a specific model of NVidia Graphics card running a specific version of the software. It's just not possible. I know there are people out there who aren't having issues playing - I'm one of them. But please be patient and let them fix the problems without hassling them further.

I once wrote a small program for flagging the status of about 10,000 employees. It was only about 800 lines of code. Very small for what it was. Upper management wanted it out faster than I could get it out. I tested it thoroughly even though they whined about the extra couple of days. The first day it was used one person was flagged for termination and... so were all 9,999 other employees in the company. It turned out I had put a random "m" in a string that shouldn't have been there. It was a typo. And I honestly never experienced it during testing.

Any time a big piece of software is released management is pushing for it to come out too soon. And they usually get their way (especially if that software is a video game and they need money fast). They usually know about many of the bugs going in to the release ahead of time. And then there are always unforeseen bugs. Either that is exactly what happened here or the coders are just abnormally incompetent. Genuinely, there isn't any other reasonable conclusion to draw. (And I doubt it is the latter.)

I don't blame the coders. No code is ever perfect. That's why you test it. But when something is this buggy, it makes me shake my head because I do know exactly how it happens. And I know what the programmers have to put up with. When people ask my why I quit programming after 11 years and became a truck driver, I tell them these kinds of stories (also I make better money and am way more relaxed now).

That said, I am also a gamer. And as a gamer, I believe gamers (in general) are too lenient with regards to the wrong type of software. I am extremely forgiving of bugs, glitches and exploits in video games. Video games are massive and complex works of art. And bugs are rarely game-ending. I would never come here and make more than a polite comment about a game bug. And your comment about the technical difficulty pertains to video games well, though not to portal software.

Portal software is different. It should be critiqued harshly when it is done poorly or it will continue to be done more and more poorly more and more often. Feedback is how humans learn to change their behavior. And after spending over $300 last week for software I can no longer use, you can guess what changes I expect.

In my opinion, part of the problem with video game software firms, is that they push out a lot of complex games and those games often have bugs even with extensive testing. And that's okay because the alternative is often bankruptcy. But no other type of software firm would expect to walk away with their reputation intact after releasing a piece of software in this shape. (Or, as with Steam, a program that melted processors.) This doesn't only happen in the video game world (I'm looking at you Beoing) but only video game devs expect to get away with it. Why? Because gamers continue to give them their money no matter how poorly they are treated and defend them even when they know they screwed up because they like their games.

I am not telling anybody else what to think or say. I feel bad for whoever was working on the launcher (artists, coders, designers). I really do. It's always a big dissapointment when a launch goes poorly. But their bosses aren't going to give two poops unless somebody starts calling them out when they do a bad job. And let's be honest, this was a not a good release. As customers, we shouldn't be mean but we should tell them we don't appreciate it.

They're adults, they can take it.

HottestRod,
The only new issue I'm experiencing with the new launcher is that it won't let my family steam settings cooperate with a second account I have on steam that I use and my family members use on the same computer. I personally own all the Expansion DLC available and a few of the Content DLC's. When I launch the game under that profile they work perfectly. However, the launcher does not recognize the shared ownership to a second account I have. I hope this issue could also be resolved soon.

First of all, congratulations to the devs for this valuable update.

My problem in this update is whenever I play an old save when the date reaches 1 September the game crashes. :(

My OS is MacOS Mojave.

There is still a problem with the launcher that when I close it it stays in the background and still shows me playing the game on steam, I have to close it from the task manager for it stop, the old launcher was way better, why even do we have this broken mess.