• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Kevyinus said:
a Victoria type EU2 mod was Age of Nationalism.

Sorry, I want to say a converter EU2 AGCEEP -> Victoria 1820.
EU2 is not a good game for XIXth century

Kevyinus said:
However a converter is a stupid idea, HOI is a World War II game except after a EU2, Victoria game, most players wouldnt have the requirements for world war 2 to break out.

You're right for HOI...
Perhaps a WW2 could start but with differents country. Nevertheless, this topic is more for EU2->VIC than VIC->HOI.

Kevyinus said:
Also Victoria would be boring once you conqured the world in EU2.

All players don't play world conquest... do a World Conquest is boring, yes... but you can play differently. (With the way of a RPG, you can play like your monarch would have reigned).

Kevyinus said:
CK to EU2 converter would work because you dont play as countries, you play as dynesties, which is more fun.

Yes, CK will be fun, but why the CK->EU2 converter would be less boring ?

Nothing said you have to play all the way from 1419 to be able to convert... I'll probably play the age of revolutions or something to keep it fairly historical, and then use the conversion tool as a continue for an all-too-short scenario.

Isn't CK coming with a CK -> EU2 Converter?

Anyways, in order to make this mod the most accessible to the public. I strongly suggest we convert the games into the corresponding timeframes. People shouldn't have to download NoTimeLimit Patch A for Vic and then a NoTimeLimit Patch B for HoI.

Which brings me to another point. I believe a Vic -> HoI converter would be very swell, but I don't think that this should be our current focus. Firstly, I think a EU2 -> VIC converter would be easier to implement, secondly, it's better to start early in work our way to later, and thirdly, we have to focus on one area because we are too small a team.

Finally, I think the hardest challenges we will face will not be in converting provinces and governments (which we'll start with), but in the economies, religeons, etc.

- MVSN

Chaingun said:
Nothing said you have to play all the way from 1419 to be able to convert... I'll probably play the age of revolutions or something to keep it fairly historical, and then use the conversion tool as a continue for an all-too-short scenario.

Agreed, although you can if you truely want. I think an game in 1819 should be able to converted, your starting point is irrelevant. Plus, we have no control or way of knowing when someone started. So play napoleans ambition if you really want to :).

- MVSN

mvsnconsolegene said:
Isn't CK coming with a CK -> EU2 Converter?

Yes

Kevyinus said:
However a converter is a stupid idea, HOI is a World War II game except after a EU2, Victoria game, most players wouldnt have the requirements for world war 2 to break out. Also Victoria would be boring once you conqured the world in EU2..

I'm sorry but I do not agree with you. I'd love to play the same country throughout all ages, focusing on different aspects like religion, trade, etc(which change as time goes by). And not all of us play World Conquer, especially in harder levels without cheats....

So, I think that a EU -> Vic conversion tool would be great! ;)

mvsnconsolegene said:
Anyways, in order to make this mod the most accessible to the public. I strongly suggest we convert the games into the corresponding timeframes. People shouldn't have to download NoTimeLimit Patch A for Vic and then a NoTimeLimit Patch B for HoI.

Leave at least an option if possible. (and the NoTimeLimit Patch could be provided with the savegame utility).

Captain Frakas said:
Leave at least an option if possible. (and the NoTimeLimit Patch could be provided with the savegame utility).

Well, how about this. As soon-to-be co-leader of this project when it officially gets up and running in the next few days, I am going to ask that the initial project be:

1) Eu2 -> Vic
2) End of Eu2 -> Start of Vic
3) And we will try to make the converter as flexible as possible, but not be obligated to.

How's that? Of course my fellow leaders can disagree with me. But this has to be the very first issue settled.

- MVSN

P.S. Vic -> HoI stupid? Perhaps, it would be fairly difficult in some areas simply because they have very different mechanics. It would be possible though.

P.S.S. The first version of the converter is going to be very limited, I hope people realize. It's going to take us months to get everything right.

I thought we had already settled for an end of EU2 = start of Vic converter ;). Anyways, that's what I'll be able to test (since I don't own HoI), and it also seems to be the most popular feature around here.

By the way, is this Java compiler any good?
http://gcc.gnu.org/java/

If it is enough for our project, I suggest all download that to keep it coherant. As I've mentioned earlier I don't want to do any excessive code converting, mostly because many extra boring hours spent with C++ with this issue has convinced me. I do know Java is more compatible, but there still might be compiler differences.

EDIT: Ughh that compiler seems to be a pain to install under Windows...

Last edited:
just use the java compiler from sun, i beleive i sent you the link in PM.

Also I agree with the fact of keeping it a end of EU beginning of Vic convertion. We may be able to let the user specify the year that the vic file is set to, that should not be hard. BUT first things first.

FooFight2000 said:
just use the java compiler from sun, i beleive i sent you the link in PM.

Also I agree with the fact of keeping it a end of EU beginning of Vic convertion. We may be able to let the user specify the year that the vic file is set to, that should not be hard. BUT first things first.

Exactly...anyways...it's five o'clock in the morning here and I have a big presentation tomorrow. So I'll talk to you guys on saturday or such.

And that's a great idea about the user specification! We can ever throw in a "WARNING: This utility is optimized for converting the from year such and such to year such and such, if your computer explodes, it's your fault."'

- MVSN

Yes, I concur with you guys. The idea of the converter is to fill in the gap that goes from 1820 (end of EU) to 1836 (start of Vic), at least by now...

I can help you with the province ID's (but only in Europe, because I only have a Europe map with the ID's in Vicky).
However, it would take some time - there are MANY German provinces. Also the Russian provinces can be a bit difficult.
What do you say?

I would like to see a Vic-HOI converter. I know some people don't like the idea because you might not have the right settings and everything for a world war. I don't see why it would matter since the game does not require any reasons what so ever for you to declare war on a country.

G-Klav, sure we need your help, but it will still take a while before we decide upon the file format for those IDs. However, it's also possible to fire up Vicky and type "showid" into the console if you want to see the rest of the IDs. Though I have to admit it is much easier when there is a ready map to easily view the IDs on.

G-Klav said:
I can help you with the province ID's (but only in Europe, because I only have a Europe map with the ID's in Vicky).
However, it would take some time - there are MANY German provinces. Also the Russian provinces can be a bit difficult.
What do you say?

Any help is good help, if you are interested; please send me a P.M. There are so many people who say they want to help and then disappear. I think I'm taking on the role as personell co-ordinator :) !

- MVSN

Kaiser Hans said:
I would like to see a Vic-HOI converter. I know some people don't like the idea because you might not have the right settings and everything for a world war. I don't see why it would matter since the game does not require any reasons what so ever for you to declare war on a country.

By all means, start one up!

- MVSN

P.S. Hey, do you guys have MSN? We should have a direct chat before we start up the official thread. Maybe tomorrow night or something.

Last edited:
I wish I knew how to make mods. I've looked at the events folder and stuff like that a few times, but I don't know what to do to make changes that won't screw up the game.

Kaiser Hans said:
I wish I knew how to make mods. I've looked at the events folder and stuff like that a few times, but I don't know what to do to make changes that won't screw up the game.

Yeah, and this will be quite more than a regular mod.
My advice is to install another copy of the game and just fiddle. See what makes it crash and why, then try to make your own events. Screw around with technology. Eventually it gets easy; like with HoI I'm sure I could do anything that anybody else could do now.

- MVSN