• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((I'll give the Representative of Byzantium, @alscon, until tomorrow at 9am PST to amend his plan, otherwise I'll put it up for a vote.))

To all those objecting my plan,

I understand your concerns. We are the most noble protectors of the Byzantine Empire. And I would never think of replacing the Palaiologos Emperor, who I have grown fond of. No, what I mean is that a part of our role as protectors is to ensure their stability. Only if the Palaiologoi die out or their rule is otherwise contested, I proposed this change of ruling dynasty. All for the good if the Greeks, so that they may not end up destroying each other like they did so often in the past. So I will keep the current plan. Agree with it or do not - I hope to have cleared your doubts.

-Luigi Castelozzi, Duke of Trinacria

--------------------------------

-at the war council-

Your Majesty,

I regret it, but I cannot in good conscience accept Your current plan for the Chancellorship in one crucial part: The alliance with the Portuguese. What have they fone to us? They have been nothing else than our hostile ally. They have made it clear that they side with Castile. And are they going to help us in any other war, save for one against the Barbary states? Have they done so in the past? No! I must therefore object to this plan. We would better be off allying someone who won't end up our enemy more often than our friend. I can propose Poland or an Italian state, unlikely to draw us into a major conflict and probably helpful in our own wars. But not Portugal.

Respectfully, your loyal subject

General Luigi Castelozzi, Duke of Trinacria, Count of Palermo, Knight of the Light and Representative to Byzantium

----------------------------------
-to Bartolo Etxeto, Count of Navarra-

Dear Count,

What do you want to achieve by addressing the Cortz? It is here to protect the interests of the nobility. Not the pretensions of a noble to a higher title. Since its formal integration, His Majesty holds the duchy of Navarre. Only someone deserving would earn it. See the current members of the Cortz: All either great generals themselves or descending from one. What have the Etxetos ever done for the crown other than governing Navarra in its stead - and failing to protect it against the English, if I may remind you? Our efforts should be directed towards the victory, not personal interests! Besides, only election by your fellow nobles permits ascension into the Cortz. I am sure the other members agree with me. So do something to earn your nomination, instead of whining. If you are unable to, rise up in arms. I am sure you will meet a lot of success.

Respectfully,
Duke Luigi Castelozzi of Trinacria

Last edited:
During the years of the war against Castille Huberto had seen little bloodshed. The first years he had mostly kept in his estate, spending his nights getting drunk and bedding a large portion of the nearby villages' daughters and wives and his days hunting, playing games and spending close time with his family. Though how he had kept his distance from politics he saw the neccesity of producing himself a valid heir to the Paciente household. He went back to Italy for a while, spending a few months looking for a suitable wife. He had found her one night whilst playing a game of chess with a long time aqcuaintece, a girl several years younger than him with noble blood and an decent enough looks. They started courting and took a liking to eachother, and after gaining her fathers acceptance he married her.

A few months into their first year of marrige she had delivered him a son, a healthy baby boy, he had his mothers eyes but that was about where the similarites between the boy and his mother ended, he looked just like his father and thus they saw it fit to name the son after his dad, Huberto. He was the noblemans little Huberlito and though Huberto Sr. didn't see himself a family man before his love for his firstborn son became apparent, favouring him above all else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My king

I know you're a busy man so i'll keep the letter short, maybe that'll spare you some free time. I am writing to you because i've heard rumours about the greedy Portuguese and those god-awful Castillians finding a bit of land in the west or a path to China or something of the sort.
I say we ought to not just stand by while other nations gain glory and wealth from whatever it is they've found. I suggest the proud nation of Aragon fund some explorers and whatnot to see whatever is out there, and grab a piece of it for our proud people to rule.
Obviously if it there actually is something out there the Paciente family would be more than happy to govern it for you.

As always your loyal passionate subject
Huberto Paciente the first.

P.S. I took the liberty to send some wine along with this letter, let me know what you think of it, somebody told me that you enjoy pinot noir. I hope you like it as I have spent months taste-testing for the perfect one, let me know if you want more.

Dear Count,

What do you want to achieve by addressing the Cortz? It is here to protect the interests of the nobility. Not the pretensions of a noble to a higher title. Since its formal integration, His Majesty holds the duchy of Navarre. Only someone deserving would earn it. See the current members of the Cortz: All either great generals themselves or descending from one. What have the Etxetos ever done for the crown other than governing Navarra in its stead - and failing to protect it against the English, if I may remind you? Our efforts should be directed towards the victory, not personal interests! Besides, only election by your fellow nobles permits ascension into the Cortz. I am sure the other members agree with me. So do something to earn your nomination, instead of whining. If you are unable to, rise up in arms. I am sure you will meet a lot of success.

Respectfully,

Etxeto-arms.gif

A Letter from Duque Bartolo Etxeto, Head of House Etxeto
The following letter is delivered to the Duque of Trinacria.

Dear Cousin,

The rudeness of your letter was quite shocking to see. I must say I was shamed to see such a noble speak in a low tongue is below both our stations. I seek placement on the Cortz because it is the place of the Etxeto family to have a place on the Cortz, as designed by God Almighty in placing His creations in charge of the weak and cowardly masses that I hold in my care. You state that one needs to be a general or descended from one in order to make the Cortz. We see this as faulty, it is the place of the aristocracy as a whole to be on the Cortz. The fact alone that the Etxetos, a family designed by the Almighty to rule, is unable to reach a governing council due to the whims of His chosen is simply shocking.

Furthermore your advocation of treason against His Majesty is not only appalling, but treasonous. I will keep such a threat private out of respect for your position, but I do hope that such evil does not again come forth from your soul.

Faithfully,

Your Cousin Bartolo

During the years of the war against Castille Huberto had seen little bloodshed. The first years he had mostly kept in his estate, spending his nights getting drunk and bedding a large portion of the nearby villages' daughters and wives and his days hunting, playing games and spending close time with his family. Though how he had kept his distance from politics he saw the neccesity of producing himself a valid heir to the Paciente household. He went back to Italy for a while, spending a few months looking for a suitable wife. He had found her one night whilst playing a game of chess with a long time aqcuaintece, a girl several years younger than him with noble blood and an decent enough looks. They started courting and took a liking to eachother, and after gaining her fathers acceptance he married her.

A few months into their first year of marrige she had delivered him a son, a healthy baby boy, he had his mothers eyes but that was about where the similarites between the boy and his mother ended, he looked just like his father and thus they saw it fit to name the son after his dad, Huberto. He was the noblemans little Huberlito and though Huberto Sr. didn't see himself a family man before his love for his firstborn son became apparent, favouring him above all else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My king

I know you're a busy man so i'll keep the letter short, maybe that'll spare you some free time. I am writing to you because i've heard rumours about the greedy Portuguese and those god-awful Castillians finding a bit of land in the west or a path to China or something of the sort.
I say we ought to not just stand by while other nations gain glory and wealth from whatever it is they've found. I suggest the proud nation of Aragon fund some explorers and whatnot to see whatever is out there, and grab a piece of it for our proud people to rule.
Obviously if it there actually is something out there the Paciente family would be more than happy to govern it for you.

As always your loyal passionate subject
Huberto Paciente the first.

P.S. I took the liberty to send some wine along with this letter, let me know what you think of it, somebody told me that you enjoy pinot noir. I hope you like it as I have spent months taste-testing for the perfect one, let me know if you want more.

Xs93UHA.png

I'm afraid that with us in the middle of war, we can not afford to fund such exploration missions. I also suspect that trying to administer new lands taken from Castile will require most of our attention too. It may be quite some time before we are ready to look west. ((Basically we haven't unlocked explorers or conquistadors yet, so we can't hire any.))

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

To all those objecting my plan,

I understand your concerns. We are the most noble protectors of the Byzantine Empire. And I would never think of replacing the Palaiologos Emperor, who I have grown fond of. No, what I mean is that a part of our role as protectors is to ensure their stability. Only if the Palaiologoi die out or their rule is otherwise contested, I proposed this change of ruling dynasty. All for the good if the Greeks, so that they may not end up destroying each other like they did so often in the past. So I will keep the current plan. Agree with it or do not - I hope to have cleared your doubts.

-Luigi Castelozzi, Duke of Trinacria

--------------------------------

-at the war council-

Your Majesty,

I regret it, but I cannot in good conscience accept Your current plan for the Chancellorship in one crucial part: The alliance with the Portuguese. What have they fone to us? They have been nothing else than our hostile ally. They have made it clear that they side with Castile. And are they going to help us in any other war, save for one against the Barbary states? Have they done so in the past? No! I must therefore object to this plan. We would better be off allying someone who won't end up our enemy more often than our friend. I can propose Poland or an Italian state, unlikely to draw us into a major conflict and probably helpful in our own wars. But not Portugal.

Respectfully, your loyal subject

General Luigi Castelozzi, Duke of Trinacria, Count of Palermo, Knight of the Light and Representative to Byzantium

----------------------------------

Dear Count,

Respectfully,

((Since alscon chose not to amend his plan and objects to the Chancellor's plan, both will be put up for a vote. It should be noted that only the parts of the Chancellor's plan dealing with the aftermath of the war, mainly the alliance with Portugal and repairing relations with Portugal and the Papal State, are up for debate. The peace settlement is entirely the prerogative of the king. Speaking of war, here is the result of the war vote:

Castilian War: Continue the war

With the choice to continue with the war, I've decided that I shall play until the end of the war some time later today or tomorrow, since neither of the two plans up for vote come into effect during the war anyway. Once that vote is done, I shall post that war update and then continue on using the plans presented earlier. I'll leave a day or two between updates for roleplaying. I've also added an OOC vote on royal marriages, on whether or not I should be able to edit them to fit what happens in this iAAR. Just click the link for more details on that or scroll down two posts. Anyway, here are the two plans and OOC vote up for vote:

Chancellor's Plan: Yes/No/Abstain
Representative of Byzantium's Plan: Yes/No/Abstain
(OOC) Royal Marriages: Edit/Same/Abstain

Everyone has until Monday at 12pm PST to vote. Please bold your votes, include your character's name and class, and all that other stuff.))

Last edited:
Your Majesty,
The alliance with portugal should depend on our goals. If we return to a defensive position against Castile, then Portugal is a valuable ally as they have proven themselves in favour of the status quo. However should you wish to follow up our victory with an aggressive stance towards Castille, we should perhaps look elsewhere. If your majesty could give some insight into your thoughts on this subject?

Your Majesty,
The alliance with portugal should depend on our goals. If we return to a defensive position against Castile, then Portugal is a valuable ally as they have proven themselves in favour of the status quo. However should you wish to follow up our victory with an aggressive stance towards Castille, we should perhaps look elsewhere. If your majesty could give some insight into your thoughts on this subject?

((I was going to respond that the Trastámara family is married into the Avis family in Portugal, but then I noticed that with the death of Eleanor de Avis, Prince Joan's wife, we technically have no more Portuguese in the family since they had no children. This brings up an interesting issue where the game says we have a royal marriage with Portugal, but our records of the royal family does not. I was just going to keep marrying off royalty to countries we have royal marriages with, but now it presents a problem. If we did not have that royal marriage, I'd probably be willing to ditch Portugal. Since we do, I feel bound to them. However, since there is no royal character married to a Portuguese royal family member, it makes little sense to still have that royal marriage. Now the question is whether I continue with what I had planned and just marry another character to someone in the Portuguese royal family, or whether I use the console to remove that marriage. I personally don't want to break the alliance in game through diplomatic options because it makes no sense to receive a stability and relations hit simply because a character died. I guess I should make this an OOC vote, so I'll add this to the vote. Should I be able to edit the in-game royal marriages to fit what is happening in this iAAR or should I just keep marrying off royals to countries we have royal marriages with?))

Carlo was disappointed by the fervor displayed by the court to continue the war with Castile, however, the realm of war was not the place for men of the clergy. At least King Ferran had displayed that peace, and normalization of relations, with the Papal States was a high priority. That the conflict extended to the throne of Saint Peter was really Carlo's greatest concern, so at least that anxiety was somewhat abated.

CaF4f1e.png

My King,

Seeking normal and friendly relations with the Papal States is my greatest concern so I am quite happy with the Chancellery's position on this issue. On the issue with how to treat Portugal at the conclusion of the war, I do believe repairing and improving relations with our Catholic cousins is of utmost importance, however in terms of military alliances I do admit this to be outside my realm of counsel and I believe Your Majesty will surely choose the proper course of action.

Our Representative to Byzantium, my fellow Palermitano the great Duke Castelozzi, has also proposed a plan of diplomacy that some within the court have found counter to our protection of the noble line of Greek rulers. However, I share my Duke's view that further binding our two nations together can only serve to strengthen our position at the very edge of Europe. Ensuring stability in this region is of the upmost importance, and maintaining a strong Catholic influence over the misguided Orthodox population is at the very center of defending the fringe of Europe against the heathens in the neighboring region. This noble task has been carried out by the Kings of Aragon since the beginning of the Reconquista. I place my trust in the Duke, who as both a diplomat and a general has the most knowledge and experience when it comes to matters pertaining to Greece.

May God Bless the King,

Carlo Angelo Abate
Archbishop of Palermo

-----------------------------------------------------------------

To Luigi Castelozzi, Duke of Trinacria and Count of Palermo;

With the matters of war keeping Your Grace busy, and the matters of assuming my office keeping me occupied as well, I realized I have not properly thanked you for the kind invitation to feast in celebration of your confirmation as a member of the Cortz. The celebration is one that will be spoken of for many a year after. As a close friend to the previous Archbishop, may his soul forever rest in peace, I am acutely aware of Your Grace's feelings toward members of the clergy involving themselves in matters of politic and war. I assure you I do not intend to be an inactive member of the Court, as my predecessor was; but that does not mean we may not work constructively together towards common goals.

May God Bless Your Grace,

Carlo Angelo Abate
Archbishop of Palermo

((Chancellor's Plan: Yes
Representative to Byzantium's Plan: Yes
Edit Royal Marriages: Edit I find no issue with you re-marrying in game, but for the purposes of consistency I think in this case an edit is in order))

Chancellors plan: yes
Representive of Bastielia Rhominion (byzantium): No
(
editing royal marriages: yes)

Priest Juan de Soneta
((P.S hope you guys like my coat of arms, will resize eventually ;), may need advice on process of doing this))
render.php

Chancellor's Plan: No
Representative of Byzantium's Plan: Yes
(((OOC) Royal Marriages: Edit))

[Courtier; Viceroy]

Your Majesty,

I wholeheartedly support your plan for the chancellorship. Castile must be taken down for the good of the realm. I am rather skeptical about the extent of the new Representative to Byzantium's endeavors; as such, I am against his plan. As for wargoals, don't seek anything from Portugal, but take Castile's African province if you can; we must not let a Castilian empire pop up.

With regards,
Ernst Wilhelm Lübecker

((Chancellor's Plan: Ja
Representative of Byzantium's Plan: Nein. What did I (or my father) say to the last Representative who proposed this?
(OOC) Royal Marriages: Abstain))

Chancellor's Plan: Yes
Representative of Byzantium's Plan: No
(((OOC) Royal Marriages: Edit))

~Antonio de Leon

[Landed noble]

General Castelozzi's recent actions didn't make him any new friends. Not that he cared much. Since he had become a duke, he just felt as if he had achieved everything he could. He wouldn't live that much longer, so why not frankly speak out what he thought? Not like they could touch him. Though gaining more enemies within the kingdom than outside was perhaps not ideal... But really, who cared? Not him. He might become arrogant, hostile to some, but they deserved it with their own behaviour. Before he focused his thoughts on what he was undisputedly good at, as general, he had to draw in some more hostility in his conflicts. At least there were some still supporting him.

myKh8vJ.png
-to the Count of Navarra-

My good Count,

If my recent letter sounded hostile, good. It is what I wanted. Of course lineage is important. But I doubt you have truly understood the role of the Cortz. Your argument that the aristocracy has to be represented - of course, the Cortz defends the rights of the aristocracy. It only consists of aristocrats. If every noble is on the Cortz, it serves exactly no purpose at all, as it would return to the previous status quo. And can you just tell me what exactly makes an Etxeto better than a Soneta, Leon or an Alvaro just to name a few? Their achievements, their actions. What your family currently lacks, unlike those I have named. God Almighty may choose the nobles, but the nobles themselves are choosing their own in the Cortz to fend for their rights. Find it shocking that I prefer those who have proven themselves on earth and not in heaven, but this is reality. With all due respect, if you can gain the support of the nobility with this argument, so be it. But do something productive in the meantime. Like driving out the English, for example. The war needs our full attention, not some domestic squabbles.

-Duke Luigi Castelozzi of Trinacria

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

-to the archbishop of Palermo-

That is good to hear. May our cooperation be fruitful. Although your Eminence will find that my son spends much more time with bishops than me. By the way... ever heard of a certain Daniele Venucci? A member of my guard who found a tragic death during the Greek war. It has been some time, but your face reminds me of him. May just be an old man's memories playing tricks, but it carries some reminiscence of the good old times. I am glad to see living memories such as your person from time to time. Of course that doesn't impact my respect or relations for you in any way, probably only a bit positive.

Respectfully,

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

((Chancellor's Plan: No
Representative to Byzantium's Plan: Yes (Is the whole plan under vote or only the disputed part, the dynasty?)
OOC vote - Royal Marriages: Edit))

-to the Count of Navarra-

My good Count,

If my recent letter sounded hostile, good. It is what I wanted. Of course lineage is important. But I doubt you have truly understood the role of the Cortz. Your argument that the aristocracy has to be represented - of course, the Cortz defends the rights of the aristocracy. It only consists of aristocrats. If every noble is on the Cortz, it serves exactly no purpose at all, as it would return to the previous status quo. And can you just tell me what exactly makes an Etxeto better than a Soneta, Leon or an Alvaro just to name a few? Their achievements, their actions. What your family currently lacks, unlike those I have named. God Almighty may choose the nobles, but the nobles themselves are choosing their own in the Cortz to fend for their rights. Find it shocking that I prefer those who have proven themselves on earth and not in heaven, but this is reality. With all due respect, if you can gain the support of the nobility with this argument, so be it. But do something productive in the meantime. Like driving out the English, for example. The war needs our full attention, not some domestic squabbles.

-Duke Luigi Castelozzi of Trinacria

Etxeto-arms.gif

Dear Cousin,

I fear for your immortal soul. The scent of heresy and the devil reeks from the page. I am duty bound by God and King to report you for your transgressions against Him. I hope that the Church will see that your soul is saved, for I see that it may be necessary.

Faithfully,

Your Cousin Bartolo

The letter, along with a copy of the Duke of Trinacria's, is forwarded to the Archbishop of Pirineo and the Archbishop of Valencia.

((This is calling for the clergy to call an inquisition on the Duke of Trinacria))

Last edited:
Etxeto-arms.gif

The letter, along with a copy of the Duke of Trinacria's, is forwarded to the Archbishop of Palermo and the Archbishop of Valencia.

My Lord Etxeto,
The Duke's comments are most blasphemous and will surely damage his standing in the eyes of God, his church and perhaps the Duke's fellow nobles. The church thanks you for your diligence in such matters.

Manuel de Vivar y Sastre,
Archbishop of Valencia

Etxeto-arms.gif

The letter, along with a copy of the Duke of Trinacria's, is forwarded to the Archbishop of Pirineo and the Archbishop of Valencia.

((This is calling for the clergy to call an inquisition on the Duke of Trinacria))

Cardinal de Vascona soon received the letter demonstrating the Duke of Trinacria's purported treachery and heresey

The realm was full of heathens and snakes that polluted the soul of Aragon and it was no wonder that the kingdom was warring against the Church. Even Castelozzi was secretly working against the Church and its works. You could never trust those pernicious high nobles, for who knew what schemes they were enacting to increase their power at the expense of the crown and Church. If only he could live longer....but alas, it was too late. Young Juan was the only hope for the kingdom now.

9skqvwl.png

To the most esteemed Lord of Exteo

I thank you for bringing such sin and blasphemy to my attention. It is a shame that such esteemed individuals at the highest levels of our society secretly carry malice against God and His Church in their hearts. Such derangement can not go unpunished and the roots of heresy must be removed from the soil of Aragon root by root and branch by branch.

Sincerely,

Cardinal Fernando de Vascona
Archbishop of Pirineo

((Idk what the procedure is now))