• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The great celebration could just be held in Palermo before the start of the war. Lord Castelozzi hosted a great feast for the occasion of his election to the Cortz, and in extension his new title, the Duchy of Trinacria ((not claiming overlordship of my fellow Sicilian counts, of course)). He had invited his friends and those he had to impress, sadly the Conte de Soneta had just deceased and couldn't come. The new archbishop of Palermo did, and while Luigi didn't approve of that man trying to meddle in politics, his face was somewhat familiar... one of his old guards looked just like him. Hm. The new Duke was of best humour, felt younger than ever, eager to beat the Castillian scum once and for all. With his French friend from the time of the Byzantine war, he prepared his strategy.

Before the feast, the Duke had left Constantinople, which he almost reigned himself. You can't take the field out of the general, and Sicilian guards on patrol gave the city a feeling of occupation. The Emperor followed his instructions, and was pleased of his proposals, but he didn't know of Castelozzi's talks with the Greek nobles. He had discussed the possible ascension of a de Trastamara to the Imperial throne, and through more or less concealed threats gained their support. If there were problems...

Your Majesty,

This war proceeded very well. We have the resources to soundly defeat our archnemesis. Why shouldn't we take it? Only cowards would bow out with the gains we have made to rhis point. We have to press on until complete victory! Of course the war must continue!
As for my plans in Byzantium, I have to add to my march plan the fact that I have promoted the chance that someone of Your most noble family may ascend the throne... Something to consider, as the crown of Aragon may one day inherit the Empire that way... ((place a relative on the Byzantine throne whenever possible)).

Confident of victory, Your loyal subject

General Luigi Castelozzi, Duke of Trinacria, Count of Palermo and Representative to Byzantium

[Landed noble, general, member of the Cortz, Representative to Byzantium]

((I'll add in a coat of arms when I am back home, sunday))

Your majesty,
While this war is costing many lives, I have to say that the business is booming. The soldier want some better food, need new weapons, and craftsman need materials. All of that makes trade between Aragon and France much easier, and the lack of enemy troops mean that the trade routes are pretty safe. I believe that you should cripple Castille as much as possible, but leave the Papal states. Preferably peace them out as soon as possible. Being at war with the bishop of Rome is not good for your reputation.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ctive-aragon-aar.869752/page-70#post-19880615
Maxime de Saint-Pierre,
a merchant

((Castilian War: War))
[Courtier, merchant]

"The king is requesting a vote on the war now!"

Ernst was studying a map of Europe. The idea of lands to the west seemed completely inconceivable to him. Ferdinand was standing next to him... it was evident he had a penchant for war, because he studied history books and maps all day long. Ernst then moved down another level to write a letter to the king...

"Your Majesty,

Although your revenge may have been satisfied, we must destroy the Castilians completely before they get a chance to obtain the prestige from uncharted land exploration. I will keep my plans the same, and the war moves on. I suggest that moving the navy south to Africa ((have we discovered the Liberia area yet?)), then west, will be a better way for the exploration fleet to move with less attrition. Either way, I hope that Aragon continues to prosper.

With regards,
Ernst Wilhelm Lübecker

P.S. I'm also considering Ferdinand Xaver to be part of the exploration team."

((Kastilinisch Krieg: Krieg (War) ))

He sent the message off without another word. He then began moving on to other things: namely, matters of family. He had been considering marrying his children off ever since the second son was born...

At the officers' tent in the camp of the Aragonese Army, The Most Ext. Duc de Barcelona, Sebastián de Loarre was writing a letter for His Majesty, when a man entered the tent and interrupted him.
"General Senyor!", he said loudly, "General Senyor, the camp is on fire!".
Sebastián quickly exited the tent to witness it. The man exaggerated a bit, as the camp was large and the fire was consuming only the North-Western part.

After a few hours, the air was still full of smoke from the extinguished fire. As de Loarre inspected the ruins a group of scouts approached.
"We found something, Don de Loarre!", they said. "It's the Brotherhood again!".

The scouts led Sebastián a few miles away from the camp. The sight was shocking. A large cross, with an Aragonese soldier crucified on him. A sentence, written in blood was on the ground: "ONLY THE FAITHFUL DESERVE LIFE". The crucifixion and the arson were probably made by the Brotherhood of Faithful, a Castillian Catholic-extremist guerrilla group who were furious over Aragon's religious policies: King Ferran's refusal to expel or even tax the Jews. Their recent attacks on camps and supply convoys possess a serious problem for the Army.

To His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks
The war against Castille has not gone as smooth as we would have liked. While we managed to succeed sieging most of Castille, their Army from North Africa has arrived, reinforced with the English army that has landed on Iberian shores. We have encountered problems with managing the occupation of the Castillian territories, as the population is somewhat displeased, and a specific group called the Brotherhood of Faithful is posing a serous trouble. For whatever reason, they claim that Aragon lacks piety and should be punished.

However, we still have great strengths - both our French allies and ourselves - I must praise the other generals who didn't succumb to egoistic fights for glory. Together, with great cooperation and communication we managed to crush our enemies.
I recommend to His Majesty to continue the war.

Signed and Sealed
by
General d'Exèrcit Senyor Duc Sebastián de Loarre
Duc de Barcelona, Baró de Loarre, ROL

((landed noble, general, cortz member))
c4bLHa4.png

((Castillian War: War))

Your Majesty,
I am in agreement with Maxime de Saint-Pierre.
The war is very profitable for my family, thanks to supplying the army with additional goods from Cagliari and the Italian mainland. Therefore, I vote that we continue the war with Castile. I am confident in the abilities of our forces.
May war lead to more prosperity!

With humble regards from Cagliari,
Francesco Chiave

[courtier]
((Castilian War: War))

Xs93UHA.png

((...you do realize that becoming a count would mean you couldn't be an explorer or conquistador?))

((That's why I asked, hypothetically, for the crown to hold the titles if Dadarian didn't show up. However, Alfonso Torarella is fully invested in becoming an explorer.))

A formal petition by the Etxeto Family, addressing both the assumption of the Torarella Family in seeking to usurp the lands of Navarre and the denial of the Duques of Navarre, which have had the title in their family since the 1468, is submitted to the Royal Court.

((THERE YOU ARE!))

Alfonso greeted his cousin as amicably as possible in the common room of the Pillar and Chain.

"My aunt should have bred proper civility into you. Why do you stay in such an establishment?" his cousin returned his greeting with all of the haughtiness Alfonso expected from his Etxeto family.

"Clearly civility was lost on you as well. I stay here because I am at sea most of the time. But why are you here?"

"Reports came quickly to Navarre suggesting you were attempting to usurp our county title."

"Usurp? Preposterous, I want no such thing. I merely was inquiring of our liege as to the state of affairs of my mother's family. The Etxeto's have not been prevalent in crown politics for some time. What would I do with your Northern lands if I should have received them? My place is on a ship, preferrably sailing west to find a faster route to India."

"You too? Do you not understand you will fall off the earth? Man was not meant to venture so far away from land. Remember Icarus and what happened to him."

"Please, I have been on the seas most of my adult life, there is water everywhere, we can find a faster route than traveling overland."

"Such talk bores me. And this place smells of piss and alcohol. I leave you with a warning, your mother was an Etxeto, however her marriage to your unlanded father does not give you the right to throw about titles of Navarrian nobility."

Alfonso growled. "Perhaps, cousin, it is time you left and went back to Navarre. Such talk to a Captain within the royal navy may be bad for your health."

((A letter from Naples to the most honorable viceroy of said kingdom))

Dear signore D'Este

It pleases me to hear of such great educational success for my son. Unfortunately, I can't come to you for a chatter since I'm currently deployed as a general in your lands and access to the camp is strictly forbidden. It was necessary to take such actions, since as we've heard the Castillians have some nasty guerillas in their lands and I wouldn't want to see anything bad happen to my regiments, every single one of them are fine men. Perhaps I can stay here until the war is over, but for now we'll have to rely on letters.

Stefano von Thun

((A letter to King Ferran II.))

My King

With the war going so well in our favor, it surely wouldn't hurt to keep fighting until the Castillians accept their loss completely. Thereby, I vote to continue the war effort. As to my plans, I'm still in for a reformation of the army. Not anymore through replacement of existing armies, but rather addition until we can't support any more with our own food. Raise the artillery share this way until it is 2/3 the size of the rest or until we can't make any more income with a fully maintenained army in peace time.

Your loyal subject
Stefano von Thun
Count of Zaragoza
Marshal of the Realm

Etxeto-arms.gif

A Letter from Duque Bartolo Etxeto, Head of House Etxeto
The following petition is delivered to the Cortz.

Dear Cousins,

I do wish that my petition for entrance into the Cortz is accepted. A noble of impeccable lineage and diligent administrators of the Navarrese, it is the natural place for the Etxeto Family to have membership to the Cortz. Wherein the question as to our family's participation in the court politics of Valencia is presented, it is our place to say that we have been forced to stay in Navarre in order to see the proper administration of the region in the name of the King.

Faithfully,

Your Cousin Bartolo

To your Majesty,

Though i lack much authority, i still wish my answer to be heard.
As would have been the will of my father, and the expressed will of my father in cloth, i implore you to stop this needless bloodshed.

Although the castilians have been a reason for friction over these last years, we should accept what we have gained, and divert our powers into matters to improve our image, something that can not be achieved by a attack on Castile,and thus by extension, the Holy Father.

May the Lord bless you,
Priest Juan de Soneta of Pirineo (Clergy)

Xs93UHA.png

With us embroiled in the middle of a war, my plans for the Chancellorship will deal mostly with the aftermath. I have decided to pass the duties of Steward to Prince Ferran and the duties of Grand Admiral to Prince Alfons. Hopefully they will learn something useful from these duties. Anyway, here is my plan for the Chancellorship:

Regardless of whether peace is settled now or later, we should focus on repairing relations with Portugal and the Papal State. We did not wish to fight those two and their involvement was more of Castile's fault than ours. If Portugal will agree to it, we shall sign an alliance after peace is concluded. It would be tragic if this war tore our two nations apart.

If we decide to continue the war, here are the goals I wish for us to pursue. It should be noted that these are suggestions and may well change based on the circumstances of the war. In regards to Portugal and the Papal State, we will seek a white peace as soon as possible. We will not seek any peace that will be detrimental to them, with the exception of the possibility of forcing them to cut ties with Castile. We will consider a white peace with England if it would help make the war easier, although if the opportunity arises we should claim some war reparations or even force them to hand over Calais to the French to please our ally. As for Castile, we shall seek to claim as much land as they will part with. Ideally, we should aim to take their southern coastline or the provinces near La Mancha where gold is produced. This would damage Castile the most and make us that much stronger. I hope everyone agrees with me on this.

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

I am grateful that my father has decided that I shall be able to serve as Steward. I believe most of the plan presented by the past Steward will do, what with pacifying rebellions before they happen and ensuring a stable realm. I also believe it prudent to consider establishing a temporary military rule in any provinces we take from Castile until the population accepts our rule. ((Raise autonomy in newly acquired provinces.)) In accordance with the Treasurer's earlier plan, I believe we should consider building up infrastructure for our army. As long as we have the funds ((I believe Keinwyn said enough to ensure 100 ducats were left in the treasury afterwards)), we should construct barracks in our primary recruitment areas.

- Prince Ferran de Trastámara

My plan for the Grand Admiralty will be short. Our navy is quite large at the moment and I see no need for expansion beyond the ships requested beforehand. In fact, I believe we should consider selling our excess cogs acquired during the war, since ten is more than enough. I believe we should attempt to sell our extra two cogs to Naples to make up for their naval losses. The only ships to be built, besides those requested earlier, should be the addition of three barques at a later date. It is clear that some day we should attempt to sail west and we shall need ships for that. Three barques should do. That is all.

- Prince Alfons de Trastámara

((I may be mistaken but didn't Paradox change the mechanics and we need three carracks to explore now?))

((I may be mistaken but didn't Paradox change the mechanics and we need three carracks to explore now?))

((I was playing another game the other day and you can use either 3+ heavy ships or 3+ light ships. Barques should work fine.))

Reactions:
At court, to Prince Alfons

Your highness, I would like to invite you to dine with me in the bishops palace. It will be a humble affair, but I will ensure you are entertained.

Alfons was unsure why the Archbishop of Valencia was approaching him and inviting him to dinner, nor did he particularly care. All he knew was that his wife had planned some surprise for him after dinner and he wanted to ensure he was nowhere near her for that.

I will gladly accept your invitation. I hope it is okay if my wife does not attend. Uh, these type of dinners bore her.

- Prince Alfons de Trastámara

((A letter from Naples to the most honorable viceroy of said kingdom))

Dear signore D'Este

It pleases me to hear of such great educational success for my son. Unfortunately, I can't come to you for a chatter since I'm currently deployed as a general in your lands and access to the camp is strictly forbidden. It was necessary to take such actions, since as we've heard the Castillians have some nasty guerillas in their lands and I wouldn't want to see anything bad happen to my regiments, every single one of them are fine men. Perhaps I can stay here until the war is over, but for now we'll have to rely on letters.

Stefano von Thun

((A letter to King Ferran II.))

My King

With the war going so well in our favor, it surely wouldn't hurt to keep fighting until the Castillians accept their loss completely. Thereby, I vote to continue the war effort. As to my plans, I'm still in for a reformation of the army. Not anymore through replacement of existing armies, but rather addition until we can't support any more with our own food. Raise the artillery share this way until it is 2/3 the size of the rest or until we can't make any more income with a fully maintenained army in peace time.

Your loyal subject
Stefano von Thun
Count of Zaragoza
Marshal of the Realm

(( I wrote my message while Mike was posting the update. Such is my luck. Sorry, I didn't mean to put our characters in a awkward situation.))

c9CeDSX.png

Dear General,
My letter reaches you late, as it was penned before war broke out. I was in Tarragona for a few months when I wrote you the letter. The threat of foreign fleets has kept me from returning to Naples. I'm head across the sea in a few days. When I arrive I would love to go to camp and deliver the most current news from Iberia. I would also love to discuss Italian tactics with you, the old condottieri in me loves to be in a active camp. The smell of sulfur and banter of soldiers is a rugged experience that I haven't seen in awhile. Also, it is my duty to represent his majesty to his Neapolitan subjects and I will inspect the troops in a more official function as the voice of his grace.
Regards,
--Alfonso D'Este, Viceroy of Naples

Last edited:
The great celebration could just be held in Palermo before the start of the war. Lord Castelozzi hosted a great feast for the occasion of his election to the Cortz, and in extension his new title, the Duchy of Trinacria ((not claiming overlordship of my fellow Sicilian counts, of course)). He had invited his friends and those he had to impress, sadly the Conte de Soneta had just deceased and couldn't come. The new archbishop of Palermo did, and while Luigi didn't approve of that man trying to meddle in politics, his face was somewhat familiar... one of his old guards looked just like him. Hm. The new Duke was of best humour, felt younger than ever, eager to beat the Castillian scum once and for all. With his French friend from the time of the Byzantine war, he prepared his strategy.

Before the feast, the Duke had left Constantinople, which he almost reigned himself. You can't take the field out of the general, and Sicilian guards on patrol gave the city a feeling of occupation. The Emperor followed his instructions, and was pleased of his proposals, but he didn't know of Castelozzi's talks with the Greek nobles. He had discussed the possible ascension of a de Trastamara to the Imperial throne, and through more or less concealed threats gained their support. If there were problems...

Your Majesty,

This war proceeded very well. We have the resources to soundly defeat our archnemesis. Why shouldn't we take it? Only cowards would bow out with the gains we have made to rhis point. We have to press on until complete victory! Of course the war must continue!
As for my plans in Byzantium, I have to add to my march plan the fact that I have promoted the chance that someone of Your most noble family may ascend the throne... Something to consider, as the crown of Aragon may one day inherit the Empire that way... ((place a relative on the Byzantine throne whenever possible)).

General Luigi Castelozzi, Duke of Trinacria, Count of Palermo and Representative to Byzantium

To the Duke of Trinacria,

I must inform you that I object to your shameful plans for the Roman Empire. Firstly, it would be shameful to displace the imperial family after we have given them our sacred word that we would protect the most esteemed House of Palaiologos. Secondly, it would promote instability in the empire, which has already suffered many anti-Carholic revolts. The Greeks would likely resent an Aragonese emperor and would not view our stewardship favorably. Finally, I am not sure if any members of the House of Trastamara are suited for such a delicate task at this juncture in time.

God bless,

Cardinal Fernando de Vascona
Archbishop of Pirineo

Last edited:

Your Majesty,

May I remind you that we are the protector of the Greeks, not their overlords? As some have already stated, putting the King's relatives on the Greek/Roman/whatever-you-call-them throne would remove all doubts that we are not their benevolent protectors that saved them from the Turks all those decades ago. So I'm afraid I will have to oppose your efforts at doing so, for the good and protection of the Greeks, to show we are kind and merciful to them.

~Antonio de Leon