• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Private))

Maria Luisa nodded. "I understand," she said, "Perhaps you are right. Perhaps there is a better way to do things. I apologize for what I suggested earlier. It was not right to suggest that course of action."

She smiled. "Maybe there is another way. Is it possible to reason with Joan, get him to reinstate the Assembly and elections? Many see him as a tyrant and would not hesitate to rise up against him if given the chance. We must take away any reason for them to rebel. Please, at least convince Joan to moderate his future actions, for the good of all of us. Or come with me back to Leon, where you'll be safe."

((Private - zenphoenix))

"I shall speak to him the next time I see him," Ferran said, trying to build up his confidence for the task ahead. Despite his desire to seek compromise first, he had his doubts that Joan would listen. His uncle had always intimidated him, a man with a forceful presence who demanded attention. Ferran had always been one to keep to himself, quiet and reserved. He could only hope that the Regent would understand the logic put before him and pull back before it was too late. If he chose not to, the Crown Prince needed to make sure he had a backup plan. Maria has presented what she thought best, but Ferran was loathe to use his father in such a way that would abuse or expose his condition. Perhaps he could use his father in another way. It did not please him to consider it, but sometimes you needed an advantage over your opponent.

"If Joan chooses to ignore my words, we shall both head back to Leon to wait things out. If, however, the Regent decides to make a move or keeps me from leaving, I'll need you to do something for me." Ferran moved over to a nearby table and grabbed a quill and some parchment. He quickly scribbled out a crude map, showing the general layout of the lands just north of the city. He showed the map to his wife, pointing to a spot he had marked. "This is where Joan is keeping my father. It's an estate, one fairly heavily fortified with enough guards to protect the Emperor, but not enough to draw attention. I suspect he doesn't want many people to know about my father's whereabouts. If something goes wrong, you need to find a way to get him out of there. As much as I hate to say it, having the Emperor in our hands gives us a greater bargaining chip with Joan, for he is the sole reason Joan remains in power."

Ferran rolled up the crude map and handed it to Maria. "Whatever you do, do not go after the Emperor unless Joan plays his hand. If I'm able to convince him to work with me but he finds out I've taken my father, he might turn against me. It is better that we do not unnecessarily antagonize him. Joan is far too powerful to trifle with unless we must. Can you do this for me?"

((You now know the whereabouts of the Emperor, so you can make use of that however you wish.))

Adalberto sighed as he reviewed the latest letter from the Hispanian Ambassador in Byzantium. Even as a puppet, being Minister of Foreign Affairs was tiring work.

He set it aside for now, and turned to a more productive line of thought. With his sons now grandparents themselves, he had little left to do. Perhaps he should retire soon, and take to his manse in Genoa. He had heard that a new factory financed by some associates was opening there soon, but he couldn't recall what it make. Hopefully something useful like steel or cement...

A sizeable crowd marched towards the royal palace, shortly after Arnau Faixòn had held his speech. Soon guards stepped into their way.

"We come to see the Emperor. Our monarch. Your monarch. The tyrant cannot stop us."
The guards didn't move in the slightest. Arnau took a deep breath.

"Then so be it. Slaughter law-abiding Hispanians on the whims of a despotic dictator! Kill your families, betray yourselves! For who are you serving? Who pays you? Where lie your loyalties?
Is it Joan? Does he pay you with his own money? Or is it the treasury? Do you enjoy mass executions, or do you truly believe it was the right course of action?
No, I tell you! The Guardia Real has a long and honourable history! Founded to protect the Emperor! Paid by the royal treasury. You swore an oath to, shall it be necessary, give your life for His Majesty. Can you tell me if He lives? Yourself, not just what the tyrant tells us? Are you truly fulfilling your duty? Or defiling your pledge, on the contrary to your oath protecting a man who is not our Emperor, for you utterly failed your task? Keeping the people ignorant so that your new master may rule us all as he wishes?
As a child, I admired the brave men of the Guardia Real. What are you now? Mere instruments of a despot? Or faithful servants of your ruler, be it Pere or Ferran? The people demands to see its Emperor! Either step aside, guarantee His safety while allowing us through - or you will have to stop us! What is your oath? What have you pledged?"
His face shows pure determination, as the men behind him cheer.

((So I am appealing to their true loyalty to force my way in. I'm sure a roll for the size of the crowd and the outcome of this face-off can only be interesting for the situation. :D))

((Private - zenphoenix))

"I shall speak to him the next time I see him," Ferran said, trying to build up his confidence for the task ahead. Despite his desire to seek compromise first, he had his doubts that Joan would listen. His uncle had always intimidated him, a man with a forceful presence who demanded attention. Ferran had always been one to keep to himself, quiet and reserved. He could only hope that the Regent would understand the logic put before him and pull back before it was too late. If he chose not to, the Crown Prince needed to make sure he had a backup plan. Maria has presented what she thought best, but Ferran was loathe to use his father in such a way that would abuse or expose his condition. Perhaps he could use his father in another way. It did not please him to consider it, but sometimes you needed an advantage over your opponent.

"If Joan chooses to ignore my words, we shall both head back to Leon to wait things out. If, however, the Regent decides to make a move or keeps me from leaving, I'll need you to do something for me." Ferran moved over to a nearby table and grabbed a quill and some parchment. He quickly scribbled out a crude map, showing the general layout of the lands just north of the city. He showed the map to his wife, pointing to a spot he had marked. "This is where Joan is keeping my father. It's an estate, one fairly heavily fortified with enough guards to protect the Emperor, but not enough to draw attention. I suspect he doesn't want many people to know about my father's whereabouts. If something goes wrong, you need to find a way to get him out of there. As much as I hate to say it, having the Emperor in our hands gives us a greater bargaining chip with Joan, for he is the sole reason Joan remains in power."

Ferran rolled up the crude map and handed it to Maria. "Whatever you do, do not go after the Emperor unless Joan plays his hand. If I'm able to convince him to work with me but he finds out I've taken my father, he might turn against me. It is better that we do not unnecessarily antagonize him. Joan is far too powerful to trifle with unless we must. Can you do this for me?"

((You now know the whereabouts of the Emperor, so you can make use of that however you wish.))
((Private))

Maria Luisa took the map and hid it in her dress. "I promise," she said, "This information is dangerous in the wrong hands. We'll only use it if we have to."

She heard a commotion outside and walked over to the window. She saw that a large mob had gathered outside and was currently engaged in a standoff with the guards. Leading them was Faixon, who was calling for the guards to defect.

She turned back to Ferran. "It's no longer safe here," she said, "There is a mob outside, trying to force its way in. They want blood."

"I am not leaving, not yet," said Ferran, "Not until I rein in Joan."

"Then at least speak to the crowd!" she pleaded. "Get them to calm down! As long as they're here they threaten our lives and give Joan more reasons to crack down!"

As Field Marshal Dias heard of the mob approaching the Palace, he did the only thing he could do. He made his orders to the Excerit Valencia and the Guardia Real.

"Lock down the city. Lock down the port. NO ONE enters or leaves Valencia until the Regent or myself allow it. Tell the Guardia Real to hold. And tell the Exercit Valencia to send a Brigade supported by a Artillery Regiment to flank the mob. Wait for my signal before they fire."

((Moving Cannons will not be a free instant action. But you can assume that the infantry are already there.))

Last edited:
The entire wing of the palace where the royal family lives is patrolled by a large retinue of guards, and they have been given orders not to allow anyone outside the royal family to pass through without the permission of the Regent. This is a precaution that has been in place since the attack on Emperor Pere's life, especially since the comatose Emperor still resides in that part of the palace. With guards blocking the way, the only methods of gaining entry are receiving permission from Joan or finding a way to sneak in. Either that or find a way to meet the Crown Prince outside the royal wing of the palace, although he has not shown signs of leaving his quarters since arriving.

(( Private ))

Henri had no other choice but to sneak his way to the Crown Prince, since asking the regent for permission was out of the question.
Lucily a plan quickly formed his head.
He grabbed a quill and wrote a letter to his sister, Henriette de Saint-Pierre, asking for a guard uniform as well as a written order that would allow him to get into the locked wing of the palace. He'd never expect that her sneaking into the military and becoming a colonel would give him a chance at this, but he couldn't think of anything better.

The next day he recieved a response, and a uniform roughly his size, hopefully it'd prove enough to fool the guards and allow him to sneak into Crown Prince's quarters and follow his "order" saying to report to him directly and become part of his personal guard.
To lower his chances of being recognized he also decided to shave, as facial hair wasn't very popular amongst soldiers and could easily give him away.

With everything read Henri de Saint-Pierre decided to follow through with his plan, putting all of his hope in the disguse, fake order, and blind luck.

A sizeable crowd marched towards the royal palace, shortly after Arnau Faixòn had held his speech. Soon guards stepped into their way.

"We come to see the Emperor. Our monarch. Your monarch. The tyrant cannot stop us."
The guards didn't move in the slightest. Arnau took a deep breath.

"Then so be it. Slaughter law-abiding Hispanians on the whims of a despotic dictator! Kill your families, betray yourselves! For who are you serving? Who pays you? Where lie your loyalties?
Is it Joan? Does he pay you with his own money? Or is it the treasury? Do you enjoy mass executions, or do you truly believe it was the right course of action?
No, I tell you! The Guardia Real has a long and honourable history! Founded to protect the Emperor! Paid by the royal treasury. You swore an oath to, shall it be necessary, give your life for His Majesty. Can you tell me if He lives? Yourself, not just what the tyrant tells us? Are you truly fulfilling your duty? Or defiling your pledge, on the contrary to your oath protecting a man who is not our Emperor, for you utterly failed your task? Keeping the people ignorant so that your new master may rule us all as he wishes?
As a child, I admired the brave men of the Guardia Real. What are you now? Mere instruments of a despot? Or faithful servants of your ruler, be it Pere or Ferran? The people demands to see its Emperor! Either step aside, guarantee His safety while allowing us through - or you will have to stop us! What is your oath? What have you pledged?"
His face shows pure determination, as the men behind him cheer.

((So I am appealing to their true loyalty to force my way in. I'm sure a roll for the size of the crowd and the outcome of this face-off can only be interesting for the situation. :D))

The crowd gathering before the palace slowly gains in number, but most people who see it scurry off to their homes to avoid the obvious conflict. There are enough people that it cannot escape notice, but forcing their way into the palace would surely lead to bloodshed unless both the Guardia Real and the extra men from the Exercit Valencia stand aside. The men from the Guardia Real listen to the appeal, but ultimately do not stand aside, not permitting anyone to enter the palace. However, they show no signs of forcing the crowd to disperse. Many of them keep looking back at the palace, as though expecting the Emperor to walk out in front of everyone at any moment. The men of the Exercit Valencia who surround the palace watch the crowd with grim determination, showing no signs of surrendering their position or allowing anyone into the palace.

As Field Marshal Dias heard of the mob approaching the Palace, he did the only thing he could do. He made his orders to the Excerit Valencia and the Guardia Real.

"Lock down the city. Lock down the port. NO ONE enters or leaves Valencia until the Regent or myself allow it. Tell the Guardia Real to hold. And tell the Exercit Valencia to send a Brigade supported by a Artillery Regiment to flank the mob. Wait for my signal before they fire."

((Moving Cannons will not be a free instant action. But you can assume that the infantry are already there.))

With many men of the Exercit Valencia already patrolling the city, it is relatively easy to get an infantry brigade into place. The artillery is a more difficult matter, one that takes time. If the crowd were to leave soon, they would get away before the artillery arrived.

Joan is not pleased to hear that his right-hand man has unilaterally commanded his army and practically implemented martial law without his consent. There will surely be consequences for this overreaching to come later.

((Private))

Maria Luisa took the map and hid it in her dress. "I promise," she said, "This information is dangerous in the wrong hands. We'll only use it if we have to."

She heard a commotion outside and walked over to the window. She saw that a large mob had gathered outside and was currently engaged in a standoff with the guards. Leading them was Faixon, who was calling for the guards to defect.

She turned back to Ferran. "It's no longer safe here," she said, "There is a mob outside, trying to force its way in. They want blood."

"I am not leaving, not yet," said Ferran, "Not until I rein in Joan."

"Then at least speak to the crowd!" she pleaded. "Get them to calm down! As long as they're here they threaten our lives and give Joan more reasons to crack down!"

Ferran nodded to his wife and the two left the room, the guards quickly following behind them. As they neared the front door of the palace, they ran into Joan, who was heading in the same direction.

"We need to talk," Ferran said to Joan.

Joan waved his nephew off as he continued towards the door. "Perhaps when there isn't an angry mob gathering outside the palace. What do these bloody peasants want now?"

The group burst through the doors, stepping out into the open in full view of the crowd. A metal gate and significant contingent of guards stood between them and the mob, but they could still feel the mob's anger palpable in the air. Cries to see the Emperor were made from those amongst the crowd. So many people had come out because of the situation surrounding the Emperor, and the dilemma wearied Ferran. These people would never see their Emperor, and nor could they. He was not here and letting them seeing him in the state he is in would cause as much damage as it would fix.

The crowd quieted a bit as Joan stepped forward. A few boos and hisses were uttered, but they disappeared too under the oppressive gaze of the Regent. He eyed the gathered crowd angrily and then said, "Do you people have no respect for the Emperor?"

More boos and hisses echoed from the crowd, but died down as the Regent started to speak again. "What do you expect of me? Do you think I'll just let you waltz into the palace and visit the Emperor in his chambers? Do you expect me to let the entire population of Valencia into the Emperor's bedchambers so you can gawk at his comatose form like he's some bauble? Or should I get the servants to carry him out here like Christ on the cross so you ogle at him? To do so would be a great disrespect to my beloved brother, and the fact that you want, nay, expect to be admitted into his presence in his current condition is affront to His Imperial Highness. An assassin nearly took his life once before and I am not foolish enough to allow people to parade past his bedside, where any one of them could stab a knife into his heart and end his life then and there. What you ask of me is impossible, for it would not only put His Imperial Highness at risk, but remove all the dignity he has left. Disperse now out of respect for your Emperor. I will not put him on display for your own amusement."

Joan turned around and whispered to one of his loyal commanders, just barely within earshot of Ferran and the Princess Consort. "If any of those rioters somehow breaches the gates and so much as sets foot on the palace ground, I want you to shoot on sight. None of them are allowed near the palace or the Emperor."

As the Regent started back towards the palace, Ferran knew he had to do something. He couldn't let this escalate further. The last thing he wanted was bloodshed. He had to step up yet again. He could never escape his duty no matter how hard he tried. Taking in a deep breath and holding his wife's hand for support, he addressed the crowd.

"People of Valencia, I know this is not easy for you. Times have been hard, and I know many of you have suffered over the past decade. You seek a symbol, someone who can provide stability and restore things to the way they are. Usually the Emperor is there to lead when things fall apart, ready to guide the people as they pick up the pieces. It is a cruel and unfair world where we cannot even receive that little comfort, for the Emperor is in no condition to give that of which we expect of him. You want to see him because you need to know he is still there, that the man chosen by God to guide this Empire is still among us. I can assure you that he still lives, and I do not say that as some lie to appease you. I have seen him with my own eyes, even though it hurts me to see him in such a state. I beg of you, please to not ask me to witness that again and to share that experience with you all."

Ferran took a moment to gather his thoughts again, only then noticing the eerie silence from the crowd as they hung on his every word. They were actually listening to him, or at least appeared to be. He hoped they took his words to heart. Perhaps all they needed was a little hope, and someone who they could trust to provide them with it. He let out a heavy sigh, knowing he had no choice. He had spent his entire life avoiding the task set before him. He knew one day he would be Emperor, but he had avoided it. Now it was time to take the first step towards that destiny.

"Hispania has seen many ups and downs over the past several years. Yet we must persevere and struggle on despite our troubles. Recent clashes between Parliament and the Crown, the representatives of the people and the representative of the Emperor, are only the most recent results of this growing need for stability. We all clamour for someone to guide us, to lead us. I want you to know that I intend to step into that role as best as I can. I intend to work with the Regent to help lead Hispania towards a prosperous future. I know he has taken some actions that have caused you concern, actions he felt necessary to ensure Hispania remained strong and did not descend into chaos. The blow to Parliament was just the most recent, and one that must be rectified. I do not know who is to blame for the circumstances, whether it is men in the government or those who would dare raise up arms against the Crown. What we must accept though is that the people need a voice, they need Parliament. Under my grandfather, Alfons IX, the Crown and Parliament existed in harmony, both focused on the needs of Hispania and its people. Somehow these two have been led askew and lost that vision. It is time we return to those times where we put the Empire first, for the good of all. Now I must make a request of you. Trust in me that I will represent you during the next while, that I will help you see a restored Parliament, that I will restore the harmony between Crown and Parliament. All I need is time. Now please, I ask you to go to your homes. Attempting to force your way into the palace will accomplish nothing and only make things work. It is time to accept that there is another way to see Hispania achieve a brighter future, one that does not necessitate violence. So please, go home, for both our sake."

Murmurs spread throughout the crowd, but Ferran did not wait to see their reaction. He scurried back into the palace, gasping for air as though he had not breathed during the entire speech. Standing up there in front of all those people had not been easy, but he had done it. A smile crossed his face at his accomplishment, but quickly faded as he saw an icy glare directed his way by Joan.

"So we're to restore Parliament, are we?" Joan said between clenched teeth. "I do not believe I was informed of this."

Ferran gulped and fiddled with the hem of his shirt. "It is what I wanted to speak about. I think it is best that we work together. The people are not entirely happy with your rule, and I think some moderation may be needed. Restoring the Assembly would go a long way in regaining some of the people's trust."

For a moment, Ferran felt as though Joan were ready to tear his head off. His gaze relaxed soon after though, although his rigid posture spoke to the fact that he still found the situation quite irritable. "It seems I have no choice now. If I do not restore Parliament in some form, the people will be after my head."

Ferran's body relaxed as relief overtook him. Somehow, he had forced Joan's hand. He could not believe it.

Joan scrutinized Ferran for a moment before continuing. "However, I cannot allow the Assembly to simply be reinstated as it was before. The body proved a breeding ground for treason at its end. A third of its members were implicated in a coup against the Crown, for God's sake! If it is to be restored, certain measures would have to be put in place, ones that ensure those sitting on the body put the Empire first instead of their own personal agendas. I will not tolerate traitors who have the foolish notion in their heads that they are above the Crown."

"I'm certain we can work something out."

The two spent a moment eyeing each other, taking the full measure of the other. Ferran felt the pressure of Joan's gaze and looked away first, making it so he failed to see the smirk spreading across the Regent's face. "Then you have some work to do. Show me an Assembly that won't be filled with traitors and I'll allow it to return. Until then, Parliament stays as is."

Having had the final word, Joan marched off, undoubtedly to confer with his men in the military. There was still a mob outside the palace after all. Ferran could only pray that his actions had prevented a potential crisis from developing. He returned to his quarters to consider how best to proceed.

(( Private ))

Henri had no other choice but to sneak his way to the Crown Prince, since asking the regent for permission was out of the question.
Lucily a plan quickly formed his head.
He grabbed a quill and wrote a letter to his sister, Henriette de Saint-Pierre, asking for a guard uniform as well as a written order that would allow him to get into the locked wing of the palace. He'd never expect that her sneaking into the military and becoming a colonel would give him a chance at this, but he couldn't think of anything better.

The next day he recieved a response, and a uniform roughly his size, hopefully it'd prove enough to fool the guards and allow him to sneak into Crown Prince's quarters and follow his "order" saying to report to him directly and become part of his personal guard.
To lower his chances of being recognized he also decided to shave, as facial hair wasn't very popular amongst soldiers and could easily give him away.

With everything read Henri de Saint-Pierre decided to follow through with his plan, putting all of his hope in the disguse, fake order, and blind luck.

The disguise seemed to work, allowing Henri access to the palace. The timing proved excellent as well. As the crowd gathered outside the palace, the Guardia Real and men from the Exercit Valencia were running all over the place to ensure the palace remained secure. One wayward guard could easily escape notice. However, that was not enough to gain access to the royal quarters. The order lacked the Regent's signature, and Joan had personally ensured every man in that wing of the palace was loyal to him and only those with his permission could enter. Henri was turned away, although he was fortunate enough that they did not detain him, instead directing him to speak to the Regent about gaining access. This seemed an unavoidable roadblock, that is until the Crown Prince left his quarters to address the crowd. For a time, he was outside the royal wing and completely accessible to any member of the guard, or one posing as a guard. As he returned to his quarters, Henri had the chance to confront him before he returned to the royal wing, although risking getting noticed by someone else or raising suspicion amongst the other guards, or he could attempt to join the Crown Prince's escort as a way of gaining access to the royal wing and speak to Ferran more privately once there.

Last edited:
The disguise seemed to work, allowing Henri access to the palace. The timing proved excellent as well. As the crowd gathered outside the palace, the Guardia Real and men from the Exercit Valencia were running all over the place to ensure the palace remained secure. One wayward guard could easily escape notice. However, that was not enough to gain access to the royal quarters. The order lacked the Regent's signature, and Joan had personally ensured every man in that wing of the palace was loyal to him and only those with his permission could enter. Henri was turned away, although he was fortunate enough that they did not detain him, instead directing him to speak to the Regent about gaining access. This seemed an unavoidable roadblock, that is until the Crown Prince left his quarters to address the crowd. For a time, he was outside the royal wing and completely accessible to any member of the guard, or one posing as a guard. As he returned to his quarters, Henri had the chance to confront him before he returned to the royal wing, although risking getting noticed by someone else or raising suspicion amongst the other guards, or he could attempt to join the Crown Prince's escort as a way of gaining access to the royal wing and speak to Ferran more privately once there.

He decided to pick the latter of the two option, joining the group of armed men following Ferran. Surely no one would be paying attention to the exact number of men in such a retinue.

He hid behind a corner, awaiting the right moment before trying to join the back of the party and following after them steo by step.

(( It'd write more but I'm forced to writing on a phone which isn't very comfortable for doing such things ^^; ))

He decided to pick the latter of the two option, joining the group of armed men following Ferran. Surely no one would be paying attention to the exact number of men in such a retinue.

He hid behind a corner, awaiting the right moment before trying to join the back of the party and following after them steo by step.

(( It'd write more but I'm forced to writing on a phone which isn't very comfortable for doing such things ^^; ))

Henri managed to join the retinue guarding the Crown Prince with relative ease, although one of the other men glanced his way although chose to say nothing. He followed them into the royal wing joining the guards outside Ferran's room. They remained vigilant, silently staring off into space. All Henri needed was a brief moment of distraction and he could slip into the room relatively unnoticed to speak to the Crown Prince.

((I should note that the Princess Consort may or may not also be in the room, depending on whether @zenphoenix decides to have her remain with Ferran or attempt to leave earlier. And don't worry about long replies. Easier to write up responses with less to say. :p))

((Maria Luisa is probably still in the room, by the way. I'll write IC depending on what happens next.))

Henri managed to join the retinue guarding the Crown Prince with relative ease, although one of the other men glanced his way although chose to say nothing. He followed them into the royal wing joining the guards outside Ferran's room. They remained vigilant, silently staring off into space. All Henri needed was a brief moment of distraction and he could slip into the room relatively unnoticed to speak to the Crown Prince

When he successfully joined the squad of guards Henri heaved a sigh of relief, relaxing a bit, however he tensed up again after the odd looks given him by one of the guards.
When he reached the destination with the rest of the guards he followed suit and gazed into the space, trying to cause as little suspicion as he could, waiting for the right moment of slip his way in.

(( Well if that's the case then it might get interesting. And I'm surprised how well this is working out so far. ))

When he successfully joined the squad of guards Henri heaved a sigh of relief, relaxing a bit, however he tensed up again after the odd looks given him by one of the guards.
When he reached the destination with the rest of the guards he followed suit and gazed into the space, trying to cause as little suspicion as he could, waiting for the right moment of slip his way in.

(( Well if that's the case then it might get interesting. And I'm surprised how well this is working out so far. ))

Henri ended up waiting for a few minutes, although he had to contend with the occasional stare from the one guard. That one guard and another man stood away from the rest, and after some careful examination it became clear that they wore a different uniform from the Guardia Real. Eventually the suspicious guard separated from the rest and headed for the door to the Crown Prince's room. The remaining guards blocked his way for a moment, each staring the other down, before he was eventually let into the room. Henri could not tell what the guard was up to, but there was the possibility that he would reveal his trespassing. He could attempt to leave and risk raising suspicions or hope things worked out somehow by staying.

((Maria Luisa is probably still in the room, by the way. I'll write IC depending on what happens next.))

((Well if she's still there, I may as well make use of her bodyguards. ;)))

The couple was interrupted as one of Maria's guards entered the room. He approached the Princess Consort and whispered in her ear, sharing his suspicions that one of the palace guards outside the room was not part of the original retinue assigned to protect the Crown Prince.

The Field Marshal approached the Regent. He knew he violated law and the Regent would not be pleased with his actions.

"I apologize for my rash actions earlier, but when I heard that a mob was marching on the Palace, I knew that I could not allow it to go uncontested. My actions were to ensure that this unrest would not spread like a plague to the rest of the Empire and that it could be resolved by ensuring that we have enough men to withstand an assault. But now that you are here, I turn this unit over to its true commander, you."

Dias smiled as he saw the first of the cannons began to get into position, as well as a few extra men cutting off the routes of escape and a few Cazadors on the rooftops. A little while more and the traitors would be boxed in ready to be massacred. And they were too focused on the Palace to see it. For now. Hopefully when they see their situation, the leader of this mob would surrender.

Henri ended up waiting for a few minutes, although he had to contend with the occasional stare from the one guard. That one guard and another man stood away from the rest, and after some careful examination it became clear that they wore a different uniform from the Guardia Real. Eventually the suspicious guard separated from the rest and headed for the door to the Crown Prince's room. The remaining guards blocked his way for a moment, each staring the other down, before he was eventually let into the room. Henri could not tell what the guard was up to, but there was the possibility that he would reveal his trespassing. He could attempt to leave and risk raising suspicions or hope things worked out somehow by staying

Henri decided to stay put and keep a stern look on his face while continuing to play his role until the perfect moment presented itself.
Once the odd guard entered he couldn't help but to get a bit nervous, however he decided to think nothing of the unmatching uniform, thinking it was simply a sign of a higher rank.

And so he stayed and waited until what was meant to happened happens.

The Field Marshal approached the Regent. He knew he violated law and the Regent would not be pleased with his actions.

"I apologize for my rash actions earlier, but when I heard that a mob was marching on the Palace, I knew that I could not allow it to go uncontested. My actions were to ensure that this unrest would not spread like a plague to the rest of the Empire and that it could be resolved by ensuring that we have enough men to withstand an assault. But now that you are here, I turn this unit over to its true commander, you."

Dias smiled as he saw the first of the cannons began to get into position, as well as a few extra men cutting off the routes of escape and a few Cazadors on the rooftops. A little while more and the traitors would be boxed in ready to be massacred. And they were too focused on the Palace to see it. For now. Hopefully when they see their situation, the leader of this mob would surrender.

"Make sure this does not happen again or you won't find yourself in a position to make such commands," Joan said as he watched the gathering forces through a palace window. These rabble-rousers had no choice now but to disperse or get mowed down by cannon fire. Joan hoped for the former. Despite his reputation, he did not crave bloodshed. If these people just left and let him do his job, Hispania would benefit in the end. People were always so short-sighted when they were unable to see the whole picture.

There was no more time to hesitate. He called upon the commander of the Guardia Real and his subordinates in the Exercit Valencia. When they arrived, he gave his orders. "I want you to give the rioters every opportunity to disperse. Do not impede them if they choose to leave. You are not to fire on them unless they initiate hostilities. If they attempt to storm the palace or openly attack the men, then we have no choice but to retaliate. Show no mercy if they are foolish enough to test our steel. I will not have these peasants threatening the safety of the Emperor."

((Private))

It had worked. Ferran had defused the situation and gotten Joan to concede. Maria Luisa had never felt so proud of him before. As they walked back to their quarters, where she wanted to share a few of her ideas on a new Parliament, one of her bodyguards approached her.

"One of the guards outside is not part of the retinue," whispered the man.

Her faced paled. A traitor had entered the palace, no doubt to kill the prince, she thought.

"My dear, one of your guards is a spy, possibly an assassin," she told Ferran.

He promptly spun around and drew a pistol from his side. "Find him and bring him before me," he told the guard, "Right this moment."

((Was the guard wearing a different uniform in ICs involving Henri Maria Luisa's bodyguard?))

They thought they had won, that the mob would disperse. But that wasn't in the least Faixòn's intention. As men of the Exercit Valencia readied themselves for the worst case, his grin only widened. So his first reaction wasn't aimed at the speaking royals - directly.

"There we have it. What failed in the past is now very conveniently done. Let me remind you of the year 1752. The beginning of the Hispanian Civil War. The Exercit Valencia storming the city." He spread his arms. "Ordered around by the leaders of the army. With the goal of capturing the Emperor and therefore taking control. Good times that the second step isn't even necessary now! For you already hold the Emperor or whatever is left of him!"

"People of Hispania, our demands are all that is reasonable now! The tyrant has already gotten a step further than Montségur did! He is the Regent of some puppet that may or may not exist! He does share power with nobody! What an irony that the Imperials who always claim to 'fight the Phoenix influence' use the very same methods!"

"My friends, we are no fools. Which is why we are here. And Your Highness Ferran should forgive us, but we don't know whether He remains the Crown Prince or is the Emperor. Which is all we wish to know. All that talk of dignity! Only diversion. For if Joan could show us His Highness, then he would. The easiest way to appease us people, for this moment at least! That he doesn't only proves that he cannot. The last we have seen was a man with half his face paralyzed. Yet we still respected him. This man was, or is, our Emperor, and no matter how he looks - even more so as we know what happened - we give him the respect he deserves. If all that remains is a skeleton, then we shall bury him like an Emperor! And then bury the traitor too, but like the rat he is!
Joan doesn't give us the respect we deserve. And a man who treats the people he reigns like dirt shouldn't expect us not to have similar feelings!"

"Of course Ferran tells us to disperse. Just look around! These men follow Joan's command. Would you not be intimidated and say what you have to? But now - now is not the time to cower behind a wall. Now is the time to bravely rise up against tyranny. The Prince - or perhaps Emperor? - wants more time. Time is exactly what Joan is gaining. For more than ten years now! There has been more than enough time. And Joan still has everything in his bloodied hands. Time won't change anything until he is dead. We have been cowards far too long.

And the soldiers around us? They won't dare to shoot! Is that why they joined the army? To kill Hispanians? Or to protect them? Or maybe for the glory of the empire? Are they protectors? Or are they rebels?" He faced the nearest soldiers. "You heard me! You all know the answer! Of course, there might be one or two Hispanians you wouldn't mind to kill. Everyone has these persons. But masses? As soldiers? Peaceful protesters? What kind of weapons do we have?
They claim that the beginning of the civil war was hard. Yet there it was always soldier against soldier. Do you want to attack civilians who aren't threatening anything else but the tyrannical Regent's position? A regent who actively destroys the progress and integrity of Hispania? Then you are scum of the lowest category. Worse than child-murdering pagan cannibals!
It doesn't matter. We shall not move. Now. And when the sun sets, we will have what we want!"

Faixòn's most fervent supporters cheered loudly. They hoped the crowd would grow. Would nobody move until sunset? They would too. Then take one step after the other, in unison, towards the palace.

((Private))

It had worked. Ferran had defused the situation and gotten Joan to concede. Maria Luisa had never felt so proud of him before. As they walked back to their quarters, where she wanted to share a few of her ideas on a new Parliament, one of her bodyguards approached her.

"One of the guards outside is not part of the retinue," whispered the man.

Her faced paled. A traitor had entered the palace, no doubt to kill the prince, she thought.

"My dear, one of your guards is a spy, possibly an assassin," she told Ferran.

He promptly spun around and drew a pistol from his side. "Find him and bring him before me," he told the guard, "Right this moment."

((Was the guard wearing a different uniform in ICs involving Henri Maria Luisa's bodyguard?))

((That was my attention. I just wasn't sure if she had accompanied Ferran with her guards until you said so, otherwise the suspicious guard would have been one of Ferran's.))

Ferran's face paled. An assassin sent after him? How had such a man even gotten into the palace to begin with. It seemed that the Guardia Real was continually incompetent. He hoped this was the case and it was all just a misunderstanding.

Then Ferran heard the commotion outside. Would these people just go home already! It was is they had a death wish. Ferran had no doubt that if they attempted to storm the palace, they'd all die. Joan would make certain of that. Yet they had ignored his words again. Did they even care about what he had to say? Did his word mean so little? It seemed that the only one anyone would ever listen to was the Emperor himself; everyone else was just a pawn or tyrant. This whole affair made Ferran weary. Perhaps it would be better to reveal the truth about the Emperor, to show them that he still lived even if not in a coma. They would see him in the terrible condition he was in, but at least it would end. Then again, what was to stop these people from then demanding the Emperor rule again and deny any evidence of his lack of mental facilities. Did they even care about the Emperor? Perhaps they only wanted him as a means to take down Joan. It seemed everyone wanted to use the Emperor for their own purposes. It was all just so frustrating. This was exactly why Ferran had wanted nothing to do with politics. Perhaps it was better to head back to Leon, because it seemed to Ferran that he had little influence here. But to do that meant so many innocents would die. He just wanted to seek compromise, to moderate Joan's position and return things to the way they once were. There were too many different sides all seeking their own interests. How had his grandfather managed to keep everything together? More than anything he just wanted to curl up into a ball and ignore the world. He just wanted to escape it all, for the more he tried to help, the worse it got. Yet he could not leave now, for he had inevitably been drawn in to a growing conflict. The only way out was to take charge of the situation and bring it to a peaceful end. He had a solution in mind, but first he needed to see what this matter involving one of his guards was all about.

((For those interested, I may as well provide an update on the conversion effort. I pretty much finished the EUIV portion. The borders have been smoothed out and show up well in Vicky 2. I've altered the relations of all the countries in Europe and did a lot of core adjusting, although the converter seems to be fighting me on that last part. I also decided to fill in some of the colonies in South America, as well as took the liberty of making sure that Neuva Sicilia still has cores so if we, for whatever reason, end up feuding with Terre Australe we can set them free. However, I have noticed that I have an awful lot of work to do in Vicky 2. The converter seems to be handing out some random cores that shouldn't exist, specifically to those nations usually formed by another. For example, Scandinavia received cores on Iceland and parts of Scotland despite me removing most of them, and Poland received some random cores in Germany they shouldn't have. The same goes for Germany, although the extent of their cores goes far beyond conventional German cores, with some as far as Ferrara. I suspect they are tied to culture, which is probably the messiest part of the conversion. Most of Europe seems to use vanilla, or at least I assume that's what vanilla looks like. The New World, however, is an absolute mess, with a mish-mash of native cultures. Germany is the proud nation of the noculture people instead of North Germans. Honestly, I have a feeling that fixing all these cultures could well be half the conversion effort. There are still a few borders to fix, cores to adjust, and states that should be colonies, but I feel those are pretty straight-forward once I figure out what I'm doing. I fully expect to drag this process out to avoid getting completely pissed off at this thing. :p))