Do you want to work for Tinto and help us patch the game?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
We need a release engineer!

• 11Like
  • 3Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
In essence, drag the old dog EU4 kicking and screaming into 2020s. Test automation is good news, I hope you find the right person for the job.

• 3Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Also,I recommend him/her to stay anonymous when starting in function to prevent online personal hate.

Edit: although this comment might seem as a joke. I sometimes worry about the mental health of the employees. The internet can be a bad place. So it's actually a serious suggestion. I don't need his/her name to enjoy the game

Last edited:
  • 2Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Nobody's allowed to call "I could do it better" next release, unless he/she applied
I'll give you a nickel if you manage to find a single post where someone referring to responsibilities of a release engineer said that he thinks he could do a better job.

The "I could do it better" comments are exceedingly rare, and are far surpassed by the standard "This is bad". When you do hear people say "I could do it better", they are typically referring to things like balance, general mechanics tweaks, or "content", as in. provinces/events/mission trees, and it's sometimes very much justified.
I'm really not sure what you are going at with your posts.

@ team
Good luck with the recruitation again; super happy to see the team growing <3

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh wow, except for not having experience with releasing to digital stores, and, well, not living anywhere near Barcelona :D , I would fit the bill quite nicely. Too bad... I hope you find someone, it sounds like a very fun job!

I'll give you a nickel if you manage to find a single post where someone referring to responsibilities of a release engineer said that he thinks he could do a better job.

The "I could do it better" comments are exceedingly rare, and are far surpassed by the standard "This is bad". When you do hear people say "I could do it better", they are typically referring to things like balance, general mechanics tweaks, or "content", as in. provinces/events/mission trees, and it's sometimes very much justified.
I'm really not sure what you are going at with your posts.

@ team
Good luck with the recruitation again; super happy to see the team growing <3
I posted my comment because I was a bit shocked about the hate regarding the previous release. I also believe that at least a number of people (prob. not you) oversimplify the complexity of such a release. The "why don't they just...." comments.
Yes the release was bad, but people should also recognize it's not an easy job. Hope this clarifies my previous comment

I posted my comment because I was a bit shocked about the hate regarding the previous release. I also believe that at least a number of people (prob. not you) oversimplify the complexity of such a release. The "why don't they just...." comments.
Yes the release was bad, but people should also recognize it's not an easy job. Hope this clarifies my previous comment
I'd just like to point out that for a paid product like Leviathan, the 'complexity of the release', in principle, and ignoring the human aspect of all development things related, shouldn't matter.

When a construction company is contracted to build a bridge, it is fair to expect it to build one in a way where it doesn't immediately fall apart when a large truck tries to pass it
When a football player is selected to represent a country in a World Cup team, it's fair to expect them to not immediately score an own goal

it is completely normal when certain people, companies or entities are held to certain standards, and that people are disappointed if those standards aren't met, even if they wouldn't be able to do it better themselves.
There have been a lot of extreme, toxic, voices surrounding Leviathan's release(as is the case with.. anything) but I firmly believe that in general the backlash against Paradox was justified.

And to maybe reiterate; just because of how complex developing a game like EU4 is, it's very much natural that there are little parts of the development process that certain members of the community likely could've done better, even if it's unlikely that they could perform much better as a developer "overall".

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I'd just like to point out that for a paid product like Leviathan, the 'complexity of the release', in principle, and ignoring the human aspect of all development things related, shouldn't matter.

When a construction company is contracted to build a bridge, it is fair to expect it to build one in a way where it doesn't immediately fall apart when a large truck tries to pass it
When a football player is selected to represent a country in a World Cup team, it's fair to expect them to not immediately score an own goal

it is completely normal when certain people, companies or entities are held to certain standards, and that people are disappointed if those standards aren't met, even if they wouldn't be able to do it better themselves.
There have been a lot of extreme, toxic, voices surrounding Leviathan's release(as is the case with.. anything) but I firmly believe that in general the backlash against Paradox was justified.

And to maybe reiterate; just because of how complex developing a game like EU4 is, it's very much natural that there are little parts of the development process that certain members of the community likely could've done better, even if it's unlikely that they could perform much better as a developer "overall".
I totally agree with you that's fair to expect a good release and the backlash was justified. I also agree that some forum members could possibly have done it better. But I get annoyed at the people who think it's an easy task.
In addition, and that's a fairly personal opinion: I get annoyed at the forum members, who actually can do it better, state in a nonconstructive way that they can do it better, but will not do it themselves if asked to apply for the job.

I have high respect for forum members who share their knowledge and or critism in a respectable manner. Or genuinely ask what went wrong out of interest.

So I think we're mostly aligned in our opinion and if not that's okay too

At moderator: if this discussion is not the correct place please move it to a different thread. (I don't want to distract from the application)

This is a job posting for a release engineer. It has little to do with bugs in the code or broken scripts.

From a technical standpoint, Leviathan release went well, correct build (though outdated) was pushed to Steam and elsewhere (with the slight hiccup of wrong steamID so it registers as the old EU4 Beta product), and generally PDS isn't known for messing up the release process itself.

A release engineer is there to supervise git repos, set up testing infrastructure, maintain CI/CD pipelines and be in charge or publishing finished releases once they are greenlighted. If they get a good person for the job, who can set up entire automation correctly, that person can be drinking tequilas on the beach and monitoring the infrastructure status and builds from a phone app.

Reactions:
Johan, don't you think it's better now to move onto EU5 ? I think EU4 has run its course and its age shows.

Reactions:
Johan, don't you think it's better now to move onto EU5 ? I think EU4 has run its course and its age shows.
What does the job position have to do with game being worked on atm? Says multiple teams in job ad. That means Eu4 and Eu5 in concert.

Reactions:
What does the job position have to do with game being worked on atm? Says multiple teams in job ad. That means Eu4 and Eu5 in concert.
It says in Johan's post title to ' help us patch the game '. As in EU4.

Reactions:
It says in Johan's post title to ' help us patch the game '. As in EU4.
Read between the lines. What it actually says is "help us set up infrastructure for easier maintenance of this and subsequent games".

Reactions: