• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mastikator

Technocrat
16 Badges
Jul 2, 2017
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris
Part 1 - the problems
The way assimilation works today is not good enough, there are several problems with it and the only empire type it currently makes sense for are Driven Assimilators. Normal empires that can assimilate have many problems with assimilation because it goes directly against everything else they can do and doesn't make sense from an RP perspective either.

Problem 1) You can only assimilate a set number of pops per year, yet ALL pops are made unemployed. This creates a FALSE information in the outlier about availability of jobs and messes with your economic planning.

Problem 2) If you have a specific citizenship type planned for an alien then assimilation currently interferes with it, your only answer is to manually set their rights again

Problem 3) It directly interferes with the roleplaying aspect of the game, how can you be a xenophilic egalitarian democracy that forces people to undergo life altering surgery?
If you are egalitarian or xenophile it forces you to roleplay directly opposed to that. And if you're xenophobe or authoritarian it frees your slaves from bondage against your will. Both sides lose.

Problem 4) There is no granularity, it's all or nothing. If you want pops to come over on their own time on their own terms then you're out of luck, if you want to spend extra resources to speed up the process you're out of luck.

Part 2 - the solution
Picture says more than a thousand words but this one can be helped with commentary
assimilation.png

• Prohibited
    pops don't convert into cyborgs or synths gain psionic powers
    Authoritarian faction happy if non-citizens have this
    Spiritualist/Materialist faction unhappy if any pops have this
    Egalitarian faction unhappy if any pops have this
  • Allowed
    every year there's 50% chance 1 pop per planet will assimilate( gain cyborg or psionic trait or become synth), always prefers highest possible strata
    Egalitarian faction happy with this enabled
    Authoritarian faction unhappy if this is on for non-citizens
  • Encouraged and subsidized
    every year 1-3 pops per planet will assimilate
    pops cost 0.25 more energy and consumer goods on top of what they already cost
    Spiritualist/Materialist faction happy
    Egalitarian faction happy
    Authoritarian faction unhappy if this is on non-citizen
  • Mandatory
    every year 3-12 pops assimilate per planet
    pops cost 1 more energy and consumer goods
    pops produce -25% resource production from jobs
    pops have -20% happiness
    egalitarian faction unhappy
    authoritarian faction happy if this is on citizens
    spiritualist/materialist faction happy

POPS NEVER LOSE THEIR JOBS OR CHANGE HOUSING STATUS, THIS MESSES WITH PLANETARY PLANNING!!!

The option to assimilate is added when an empire gains the ability to "assimilate" pops

Driven Assimilator only has 2 options, Prohibited and Mandatory

Last edited:
  • 19Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I especially like this as assimilation ceases to be a citizen right, so I don't need to pick a new default right, reset everyone to default, and then try to convince the game that people who are already assimilated don't need to be assimilated again, and also, I am a slaving empire, so those newly assimilated cyborgs should still be slaves, just better because of their new enhancements. It would also be nice to have the assimilation type be choosable, so you can choose to assimilate pops just to cyborg if you have gone full synth ascension. A bio-assimilation would also be nice to push newly aquired pops to a specific subspecies.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I dunno if the maker of this thread is still around years later, but they should probably preface this suggestion with what exactly is the problem they're seeking to fix. WHY is the current system bad.

I dunno if the maker of this thread is still around years later, but they should probably preface this suggestion with what exactly is the problem they're seeking to fix. WHY is the current system bad.
the current implementation has assimilation as its own job and stratum, which I think works fine for driven assemilators. on the other hand, if I want to share the gift of psionics with my xenos, They all stop working their jobs for several years. spreding psionics thus gives way too much short-term economic pain.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Well your ARE giving them an entirely new education.
Although there are students who also do some work, they are mainly occupied with learning.
And that is asuming, that you can simply learn how to unlock psionic powers and dont need external help in doing so from specially trained personal ;)

I'm still around bro. And I hear you, I've updated the OP

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: