• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nah. Elf has given up trying to keep him strictly faithful. What she seems to want is for him to respect her role as the Queen and not flaunt his affairs, which for the most part he has, remember this affair was exposed by Sarazine's sister, not Geoffery announcing a bastard to the world.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It seems every time Geoffrey makes some steps forward something comes along and pushes him back and he has no one to blame but himself. He did right by Herve with the funeral and feast, Looked like he might be patching things up with his queen. Then his past comes roaring back to knock him down again.

Reactions:
Geoff 2’s main difference to his father seems to be his inability to keep these affairs quiet enough to generally get away with. But this reveal was truly excruciating. Made the more so by his having tried to do the right thing after the moral failure with Sarrazine. It’s like a destructive compulsion.

Still, it seems to be a set part of his nature. If he can’t stop it, he needs to both harden up (so to speak) and get better at covering up.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Oh Geoffrey has truly messed things up now, luckily the uncle who hates him is the least powerful one, though this may make Guilhem more suspicious. Maybe there will be another prince or princess in the cradle soon enough, for though Elflaed will no doubt be angry, there was a brief moment of reconciliation. Great chapter, it was a particularly good one!

• 1Like
Reactions:
The uncle he really has to worry about is Foulquesson. Geoff is really lucky the Duke of Britany isn't in his prime anymore, physically or as a political actor, or else he would be a dead man.

• 1Like
Reactions:
SO NICE... once I thought this could give a happy marriage... and then... past comes and bites his arse

Yep. Geoffrey being Geoffrey caught up to him. And it's him refusing to compromise and back down - it wasn't as if he was short on options. But he was petulant after Essa didn't come with him and acted out. This is the result.

Whenever Geoff gets happy with Elf, that is when you know his affairs are going to be exposed. I think a little prince or princess will be on the way soon.

Poor Eitonete. At least in narrative terms, we got some ideas as to her feelings.

And poor Sarazine. Just when life was starting to improve, with another child on the way. And poor Phillipe. He may have been a bit insensitive, but he's been nothing but a loyal husband, in spite of speculation that he would try to seize power from Sarazine, and this is the thanks he gets? He can at least take comfort in the fact that her child is his if he believes it.

You've really outdone yourself this time sir. After a dry spell with Geoffery 1's relatively bland parade of beddings, we are back in mistress drama central.

That dynamic has played out early with happiness followed by turmoil though I can't promise it will always remain that way. Big issues are going to change things in the future.

Etiennette didn't have a bad life, but she did have some really bad things happen to her. I mentioned them in text, but she's not a main character or Angevin, so it gets forgotten. But.... she was seduced by Duke Gilles, who proceeded to then seduce her best friend Agnes, getting them both pregnant. Then he later seduces Etiennette's mother, siring a bastard with her too.

She does end up becoming Foulques mistress (though used by both Agnes and Geoffrey to limit Haldora's potential influence). But she gets the stink eye from Haldora and Ness for much of her life. Her eldest daughter dies of cancer at like 18. Her brother is run out of Anjou due to his stupidity and she's made to beg for his life.

Her other daughter has an extramarital affair... getting pregnant by none other than Duke Gilles! (Can we talk about how the guy bedded three generations from the same family? He really did beat Geoff I in depravity). Her son does become king, but his wife is murdered and her granddaughters' chances at holding the crown is imperiled.

And then her closest friend dies. I really do feel it was the last straw for a woman who didn't lead the worst life, but had good reason to simply be tired of it all.

Sarrazine has had a rough go of late. Guilhem hates her, which is a terrible position to be in - and I would be very hesitant to intervene if something broke out between them. Guilhem would likely demand a favor for a white peace and I never, ever want council members to have favors. Or any direct vassal, really. And there's no guarantee Guilhem would accept intervention anyway.

And yeah, I'm not sure Philippe is in a great position to believe it. It's something that comes up next chapter, but he has plenty of reason to doubt.

Thanks! Geoffrey I kind of got off easy, aside from Haldora. But it was different - I couldn't write Marguerite like I do Ælfflæd, who just provides a better spark. Marguerite, especially in her older age, is more dry. Ælfflæd is fire.

(Though I'd say Agnes would probably say something about the quality/intrigue of the beddings) ;)

But I also had more fun with Geoffrey's affairs too. I don't want to spoil anything but there is a bit of a dangerous choice he'll face in the future when it comes to that stuff.

FFFFFFFFFFFF every time Geof gets on good with Ælfflæd she ends up finding out about an affair of his ugh Geof stop being so stupid! I actually had to wince at the line when his affair is revealed oof. But for real though, I do hope he’s learnt a lesson and will patch things up but I doubt it, he’s too lustful to stay faithful rip

And thank you @JabberJock14 I did indeed have a successful move, all settled in the UK!

Glad to hear you're all settled!

Geoffrey's rationale and intelligence does get a mention in the next chapter... But yeah, his actions are not wise. The upside isn't enough to make any of it worthwhile. One suspects that no matter what he says, Geoff will always find a reason to stray.

I'm glad that scene got that cringe reaction. I decided to extract maximum punishment for him in handling that event. :)

And there it is. Geoffrey's tradition of bedding women who aren't his wife after a victory, retaliating in full power. It didn't work the first time - a warning sign he ignored. Chose a woman who might be more willing. The second time worked too well, increased his confidence. And the third time, it all crumbles upon him.

Fittingly, at Hervé's funeral. First, all went well, as the old count deserved. And then, no more.

Geoffrey doesn't learn from warnings, only from consequences. Perhaps this will be the final straw for his victory-seduction-tradition. A few more consequences and he may end up being virtuous, though the losses leading to that would have to be very great indeed.

Geoffrey is very good at ignoring warning signs when he wants something.

I like the angle you take with Herve's funeral. I'd also add he was officially laid to rest before all hell broke loose, so once again, he manages to avoid the Angevin sinfest, in his own way.

I think you're right that Geoffrey is very much learning from mistakes type of ruler. He also can be clever. So expect some alteration perhaps in his methods. Maybe some restraint. But one can hardly expect him to stop at this point, unless he had a real "Come to God" moment.

I can foresee a future where his son, as King of England, might try to depose him, supported by his mother, the cuckold Queen of Aquitaine... maybe we are going to see some Henry II and Eleanor and kids internal struggle after all ITL

I think if this were real life, that might be a real possibility. But CK2 tends to limit child rebellions... I don't think I've ever had a landed child, especially an heir, rebel against me. That said, I certainly plan to land as many of Geoffrey's legitimate heirs as possible, so they could get up to things. And if Ælfflæd becomes Queen of England, I won't be able to control what she gets up to, either.

Nah. Elf has given up trying to keep him strictly faithful. What she seems to want is for him to respect her role as the Queen and not flaunt his affairs, which for the most part he has, remember this affair was exposed by Sarazine's sister, not Geoffery announcing a bastard to the world.

Ælfflæd has given up on him being faithful, it's true. But she also has no love for being humiliated, either by him revealing his bastards or by being caught in such embarrassing situations. Now, this time Geoffrey shares in that humiliation, but I'd imagine that's scant consolation.

The queen's getting her own chapter soon though. And the complicated nature of her relationship with Geoffrey is part of it.

It seems every time Geoffrey makes some steps forward something comes along and pushes him back and he has no one to blame but himself. He did right by Herve with the funeral and feast, Looked like he might be patching things up with his queen. Then his past comes roaring back to knock him down again.

I'm glad this came through. Geoffrey has learned how to play a part - read from a script in a way. But that doesn't make him as skilled as his father when it comes to these things - though Geoffrey I was hardly faultless either. Next chapter will make mention of that.

Still Geoff II makes an unforced error here. Sarrazine was not necessary. It was an easy conquest because he wanted to please himself after being somewhat rejected by Essa. He realized after the fact what a bad move it was... but by then, it was too late.

Not even his past. If I recall he bedded Sarazine after Herve died.

It may have been confusing in text, cause I didn't mention it in the previous battle chapter, but the seduction of Sarrazine came pre Huelgoat, so before Herve died. Technically, so did the revelation of the affair in game, but I thought it was more fun to do it this way - also because I suspect Sarrazine's sister is up to no good and would look to maximize the pain on her sister for her own potential gain.

Geoff 2’s main difference to his father seems to be his inability to keep these affairs quiet enough to generally get away with. But this reveal was truly excruciating. Made the more so by his having tried to do the right thing after the moral failure with Sarrazine. It’s like a destructive compulsion.

Still, it seems to be a set part of his nature. If he can’t stop it, he needs to both harden up (so to speak) and get better at covering up.

It's worth noting that as of right now, Geoffrey has merely matched his father. Geoffrey I had one acknowledged bastard (the little discussed Guy d'Anjou) but for the most part his worst womanizing came when he was away from our view. Even Guy happened prior to 1109. It was relatively tame when he became Duke of Anjou, aside from the Agnes affair. (A big aside, of course) But he wasn't perfect - he also got caught with Haldora. A different type of embarrassment but embarrassment all the same.

That said, I re-read that chapter... and suffice to say, Geoffrey I's reaction was very different than Geoffrey II. That isn't to excuse the younger Geoff, just funny how we forget his father's mistakes. Even I let it slip to the back of my mind at first.

Fate will intervene to a degree when it comes to some of this - but the best one can hope for with him at this point is restraint.

I agree on the reveal - it did as it was intended.

Oh Geoffrey has truly messed things up now, luckily the uncle who hates him is the least powerful one, though this may make Guilhem more suspicious. Maybe there will be another prince or princess in the cradle soon enough, for though Elflaed will no doubt be angry, there was a brief moment of reconciliation. Great chapter, it was a particularly good one!

Correct on all counts. Philippe is weak but Guilhem's going to really be on it now. I mean, one suspects something perhaps holding him back was the idea "not even Geoffrey could sink that low as to sleep with his aunt by marriage" and then it's revealed he did. As for Ælfflæd, more on that next chapter but especially the chapter following.

Thanks for that compliment! I thought it was a juicy bit of entertainment. :)

The uncle he really has to worry about is Foulquesson. Geoff is really lucky the Duke of Britany isn't in his prime anymore, physically or as a political actor, or else he would be a dead man.

You're right in that, outside of Essa, there's no vassal stronger than Foulquesson. And Geoffrey's wars in Brittany are making him stronger. But he's been appeased enough that even without a council position, these days he's pretty pleased with Geoffrey. Which is good, cause Geoffrey's not got many uncles that think highly of him these days.

Ancel though... I do worry about what that boy's gonna get up to when it's his time.

To all - I did have fun with that chapter. As noted above, the Sarrazine seduction event happened just before I went on campaign, figuring I would let Geoffrey do it before giving him command in Brittany. And then Berthe went and revealed all. I decided it would make for better drama to have the reveal come after, and had storyline rationale for it too, which will be touched on a little more in the upcoming chapter. That one is going to feature far fewer fireworks, but still is necessary, I feel, as Geoffrey sees the fall out from this mistake turned embarrassment.

The chapter should come tomorrow, though I admittedly have a busy day so there's an off chance it might be delayed. If it is, then it will be out late Tuesday/early Wednesday. Regardless, I hope you all enjoy it! And thank you all for your continued readership and commentary!

Reactions:
You and me both @JSB217118 I’ve found myself constantly refreshing this page like I’m some sort of addict :confused: *sniffs* hey jabber man, ya got any of that new chapter stuff? The last one was such a high man, wicked! :D

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I know I've been quiet lately, but wanted to drop a line to let you know I'm still enjoying the story, and eagerly awaiting the next chapter :)

No worries! I do appreciate you dropping the comment though because as a writer sometimes you never know if you've done something to alienate your readers. Some will write an angry comment, but most times, they just fade away.

So thanks! I appreciate all your comments, long or short.

You and me both @JSB217118 I’ve found myself constantly refreshing this page like I’m some sort of addict :confused: *sniffs* hey jabber man, ya got any of that new chapter stuff? The last one was such a high man, wicked! :D

Well now the pressure's on. :) To be a weekly fix...

I don't think this update will have the high drama of the last one - (part and parcel with it being a split - the big action happened in the last chapter and this is more the denouement) but hopefully it is still enjoyable. The story can't be all highs, after all!

And with that, the next chapter follows shortly. Hope you all enjoy as Geoffrey deals with the fallout with his actions. And once more, thank you for your comments and feedback, no matter how short or long it is!

Reactions:
Chapter 242 - July 1131
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 242
July 1131 - Bordeaux, Kingdom of Aquitaine

“I want her thrown in the dungeons!”

Geoffrey’s heart was racing as he stared at his cousin Edouard, spymaster, Count Douard, and uncle, Duke Adhemar. And the fact they were already glancing away from him did inspire confidence.

The three were only advisors Geoffrey had called with him to his chambers after the feast in which Berthe de Thouars had humiliated him by revealing his affair with her sister, Countess Sarrazine.

He did not dare invite Duchess Essa - he did not want to face a mistress after his affair with another was revealed.

Likewise he could not risk inviting Duke Guilhem - after it was confirmed he cuckolded one uncle, he imagined the one who’s wife he was being rumored to have been bedding would not be in a good mood.

Inviting the Prince-Bishop also seemed unwise given the nature of what Geoffrey had just done - no need to involve a holy man after sin was revealed.

The smaller council meeting was meant to help decide what could be done to mitigate the damage. But Geoffrey was very much of a singular mind to begin with - he wanted retribution.

“I am uncertain arresting Berthe is the right decision,” Edouard warned.

“She has acted against me!” Geoffrey exclaimed. “To defame my name and sow discontent among my vassals! How can I not?”

“Because she has spoken truth, has she not?” Adhemar asked.

Geoffrey swallowed hard as his stomach twisted. “It did not concern her!”

“All the more reason why it would be considered an act of tyranny to imprison her,” Adhemar warned. “She will be seen as a martyr - a woman who spoke the truth when nothing was to be gained and has been punished as a result. You are a man, nephew, not a god. And you have broken one of God’s rules - it will look poor upon you if you punish Berthe for that.”

1131-Imprison-Berthe.jpg

“Who’s side are you on?” Geoffrey snapped.

“Yours,” Adhemar said. “Sometimes you must admit defeat and move on rather than compounding it to make your position worse.”

“Craven words from a craven man!” Geoffrey shouted.

“And more idiocy from a boy who refuses to grow up!” Adhemar retorted. “What’s next? Will you throw me from this room? Fire me? Toss me in the dungeons with Berthe? All because you do not wish to face the truth?”

Geoffrey was tempted to do all of that and more. He had expected some type of resistance from his uncle, and in retrospect, perhaps inviting him was the wrong move. After all, Geoffrey had attempted to bed Adhemar’s wife, Duchess Anne, years prior. While he had been stopped, this may have brought back some uncomfortable feelings.

1131-Duke-Adhemar.jpg

But in that moment, Geoffrey realized something - How many uncles am I going to make my enemy by bedding their wives?

He only had Duke Foulquesson, Ancel and Charles left. And both Ancel and Charles’ wives had died already… while Geoffrey didn’t think he could stoop as low as to bed his own sister.

What kind of man would do such a th---

Geoffrey stopped that line of thought. He wasn’t sure he wanted to know the answer.

Shaking off his jumble of thoughts, he looked to his bishop and spymaster. “I assume you both agree with Duke Adhemar? That I would be making a large mistake by throwing Berthe in the dungeons?”

Both nodded and Geoffrey sighed. “Then what am I to do?”

“Look to your father,” Adhemar said.

“How can he help me now?” Geoffrey asked. “I am not him.”

“Years ago,” Adhemar began, “Your father was caught in an embarrassing scandal of his own - he was caught bedding Lady Haldora, your grandfather’s third wife and of course, mother to three of his children.”

Geoffrey knew only little of the story - it happened when he was just a babe and after his grandfather had passed. But when he’d heard it, part of him did wonder how his uncle Foulquesson and Philippe, both Haldora’s sons, reacted to their mother being bedded by their older half-brother.

He grimaced again. Philippe has certainly had some experiences with his family.

“And how did my father handle the furor… and his brothers?” Geoffrey asked.

“He was forced to end the affair because of his brothers,” Adhemar said. “But otherwise, he was simply made to wait it out. Eventually, people moved on with their lives. As they will here - Philippe excepted.”

And Ælfflæd, Geoffrey thought. And perhaps Essa and Ana.

“Who outed them?” Geoffrey asked.

“Beatrice d’Anjou, your cousin,” Adhemar said. “Daughter of Agnes.”

“She was not punished?” Geoffrey asked.

Adhemar shook his head, not that Geoffrey was surprised. He doubted his father could have stomached to punish his aunt Agnes’ children, given how close he was to her.

Geoffrey lowered his head, his anger not necessarily calmed but there was an odd feeling of comfort to know his father had stumbled into a similar mistake and emerged safely.

“So I am to do nothing?” Geoffrey asked.

“I would not say do nothing,” Adhemar said. “I would not advise punishment. But I would suggest making some attempt to appease the queen. In addition I would avoid any other… entanglements that could result in further embarrassment.”

“I doubt the queen is going to want anything from me,” Geoffrey grumbled.

“An effort should still be made,” Adhemar said. “Especially if you have any hopes of seeing your son on the English throne. You two must appear unified if you are to strengthen his claim.”

Geoffrey sighed but nodded. It was frustrating not to make this go away quickly. Yes, he’d suffered this with Ana, but that was of his own choosing. This wasn’t.

But there was little he could do. Even if he had gotten his way and tossed Berthe in the dungeons, that would have been revenge only. It was not as if the damage would have been undone.

“I’m going to see the countess,” Geoffrey said.

“That may not be wise,” Edouard said. “It would seem to confirm what Berthe said.”

“There’s anyone who doubts it?” Geoffrey scoffed. “The damage is done. I should see how the lady fares.”

Adhemar raised his head. “I agree… with the king.”

Geoffrey’s brow rose. He didn’t expect that.

“The king’s reputation… this family’s reputation… precedes it,” Adhemar said. “There are few out there who don’t believe it. And those closest to the situation clearly do. But… I would counsel you to keep it to just words, nephew. Anything more is a needless risk.”

Even I’m not that bold, Geoffrey thought. He simply replied to his uncle with a nod.

“Cousin Douard,” Geoffrey said. “Keep an eye on Berthe, even I will not imprison her. I do not trust her fully. Also keep watch of my uncles, Philippe and Guihelm.”

1131-Berthe-de-Thouars.jpg

“It will be done, my king,” Douard said as he bowed.

“Uncle Adhemar, thank you for your counsel this evening,” Geoffrey said. “I will let you know if I need anything else.”

Geoffrey had debated sending Adhemar to Ælfflæd, but she had stormed off after the feast without saying a word. He had tried to speak a few times to her during, but all he got was two fingers in his face - a sign he had come to know as her way of telling him to f-off.

Likewise, he wasn’t about to involve Adhemar in the situation with Essa. He was not aware of the affair, at least officially, unlike Berard and Edouard. And Geoffrey didn’t want to have to deal with her either at the moment.

Once Adhemar and Douard were gone, Geoffrey turned to his steward.

“I want you with me,” Geoffrey told him.

“You intend me to be there when you speak with Sarrazine?” he asked.

“At the door, with some guards,” Geoffrey said. “Just in case any undesirables show their face.”

“Anyone in mind?” Edouard asked.

Geoffrey shook his head. “After tonight… I wouldn’t be surprised by anyone.”

…..

1131-Sarrazine.jpg

Geoffrey found Countess Sarrazine alone in her guest chamber, face in hands. At first he almost debated leaving her alone. But she turned her gaze to him and then stood up and bowed.

“My king,” she said.

“There’s no need for that,” Geoffrey said. “Just Geoffrey will do.”

“Geoffrey, then,” Sarrazine said.

“How do you fare?” Geoffrey asked.

“I have been humiliated,” Sarrazine said. “My sister has attempted to ruin me. My husband now hates me. I have no doubt made an enemy in the queen, and do not have Lady Agnes to protect me. Between her and Duke Guilhem… I make too many powerful enemies… with sisters eager to stick a knife in my back.”

“I will not let anyone harm you,” Geoffrey swore.

“You can hardly protect me any more than you could my poor daughter,” Sarrazine said. She paused before adding: “Forgive me, my king. My Geoffrey. Geoffrey. That was wrong of me.”

He shook his head. “It’s all right.” Then after a brief pause he asked: “How did she learn of it?”

“She is my sister,” Sarrazine said. “Some of the servants think well of her. She likely learned from them.”

“Why?” Geoffrey asked.

“As I said, to undermine me,” Sarrazine said. “To weaken my hold on my lands.”

“Do you… do you think she is the one who murdered your child?” Geoffrey asked.

“I don’t know,” Sarrazine said. “I can’t trust Berthe, but my other sister Belle may have been the culprit. But since resides in Duke Gilles court in Bourges, I cannot reach her. And given the history between your family and he, I doubt he would give her up.”

1131-Belle-de-Thouars.jpg

Geoffrey couldn’t disagree. While he’d never really dealt with his father’s first cousin, the Duke of Berry, he knew the rest of his family had. And having been humiliated by the old king twice in the past decade, it was unlikely he’d be willing to do Geoffrey a favor.

“That still leaves Berthe,” Geoffrey said. “Who is very much in your hands.”

“Hands which are tied,” Sarrazine said. “If I were to imprison her… or worse… without any proof, I would be seen as a vindictive tyrant. And if it did not harm me enough in my own lands, Duke Guilhem might step in on her behalf. Then I would face humiliation, revocation, or both.”

“Then punish her with exile,” Geoffrey said.

“So she might plot against me from afar, where I can’t touch her, like Belle?” Sarrazine demanded. “While still having some among my court loyal to her?”

Geoffrey shrugged. While Adhemar had made sense, he still wanted some form of retribution for this mess. And if he couldn’t deliver it, then perhaps he could find a way to help Sarrazine do so instead.

“Perhaps send her to your least hospitable holding and leave her there, under heavy guard,” he suggested. “Make her life miserable. Then, maybe, she will learn her place.”

“It is what I intend to do,” Sarrazine said. “If she does not flee first.”

“I will have my knights track her down if she does,” Geoffrey promised.

“Good… but…” Sarrazine began. “You cannot harm her. It will look poorly on both of us if you do.”

Geoffrey grunted, but nodded. Siblings could be a true pain to deal with.

“In any case, I cannot stay here,” Sarrazine said. “I will leave at first light tomorrow. Perhaps even before.”

Geoffrey did not even muster an opposition. He could not argue for her to stay - not when the palace would either look down upon her, snicker at her situation, or both.

“You shall have whatever you need for your journey,” Geoffrey said. “Food, animals… chains for your sister.”

Sarrazine mustered a small smile. But it vanished quickly as she added: “There is but one thing I ask of you.”

“Whatever you need,” Geoffrey swore.

“I need you to tell Philippe the truth,” Sarrazine said. “That we have laid together twice, but this child is not yours.”

“You can tell him that,” Geoffrey said.

“I have,” Sarrazine said. “He does not believe me.”

“Then why would he believe me?” Geoffrey asked.

“Because you are his king,” Sarrazine said. “And you are a man. It means more coming from your mouth. You have no reason to admit to the affair but not the child.”

Geoffrey shook his head. “I don’t believe that at all.”

“I’m asking you,” Sarrazine said. “You said you would do anything to ease my suffering. Well, this is it.”

Geoffrey frowned, but nodded. He could not break his oaths, no matter how much he wished to.

“Thank you, my king,” Sarrazine said. “Geoffrey… I… I think I would like to be alone now.”

Geoffrey nodded and again offered his services for anything before departing. The conversation didn’t do anything but make him feel worse - and make him agonize over something else.

He really didn’t want to speak to Philippe. There was no telling how his uncle might react. Had he been drinking? Might he do something, bold and reckless? Geoffrey really did not want to cap this night by potentially killing, or being wounded by, his uncle.

But his guilt over the situation won out, and he told Edouard to find Philippe and bring him to his chambers.

It took a while, as Geoffrey waited for what seemed like forever. He tried to sit, but was too on edge, and instead paced the chamber. He thought about his words over and over again, imagining how the conversation would go.

But eventually, Philippe did arrive, escorted by Edouard. The bishop did not depart upon delivering him, taking his place by Geoffrey’s side.

1131-Mayor-Phillipe.jpg

The three remained in an uncomfortable silence for a time. Philippe clearly did not wish to speak - and made no sign of respect by bowing when he entered. Yet Geoffrey did not want to appear weak, even if he knew himself in the wrong, and offered no olive branch.

Finally, Phillipe said: “You summoned me. For what? To just stare at me?”

“I wanted to discuss the situation from earlier,” Geoffrey said.

“You will deny it?” Philippe asked.

Geoffrey thought about it. Perhaps his uncle did not fully believe it. If he said it was untrue, then perhaps he might save some measure of his reputation.

But if he failed… he would have broken his oath to Sarrazine for nothing.

“No,” Geoffrey said. “I will not. It is true.”

Philippe grew wide-eyed and his complexion grew dark-red, almost purplish. He took a step forward toward Geoffrey, then another, before Edouard stepped in front of him.

“You are a disgrace!” Philippe spat. “All the rumors… I did not want to believe them. But you are a scoundrel. Worse than your father! Even he never would have dreamed of doing this.”

“My father is rumored to have done much worse,” Geoffrey said. “And did lay with your mother.”

“She was a widow, not a married woman,” Philippe retorted. “He refrained from his brother’s wives. Siring bastards in their bellies.”

I have not done so either, uncle, Geoffrey thought. But he didn’t wish to go down that road on a technicality that his older brother was dead and his younger one had yet to find a promised.

“I did not sire the child she carries,” Geoffrey said. “I have bedded her yes, but only twice. Once... once after my victory at Carhaix a year ago. And when I traveled north before Huelgoat. She is not far along yet, but further than a month.”

“Why am I to believe you?” Philippe demanded. “She could have laid with you when we came after my sister passed.”

Geoffrey bit his lip. He hadn’t thought of that.

“I didn’t,” Geoffrey said. “If I wished to lie to you, uncle, I could have just denied it all. But I have told you the truth.”

“Because you were forced to,” Philippe said.

“I am not forced into anything,” Geoffrey argued, his voice rising. But he stopped, took a breath and then added: “Believe what you will. I cannot force you to trust me.”

“Good, because I never will, ever again,” Philippe swore.

Geoffrey didn’t really have anything to say to that. There wasn’t anything to say - much like with the queen, there was nothing Geoffrey could do but wait out his uncle’s anger with the added knowledge that this slight was so personal it might never subside.

“Are we done?” Philippe demanded.

Geoffrey nodded and allowed his uncle to depart. The guards closed the door behind him leaving the king alone with his steward.

Edouard shook his head. “I can’t say I’m surprised by his reaction. I think he’s taking it well.”

“He took a step towards me,” Geoffrey said. “If you had not stepped in between us…”

“That is why I was here,” Edouard said. “To prevent further troubles. For the good of the kingdom. And out of love for you cousin… even if at times I wonder if you deserve it.”

Geoffrey looked away. That one stung.

“I know I should not have done it,” Geoffrey said. “It happened before I resolved to examine my ways. Before Herve died. I did not touch her on the way back south.”

Edouard rolled his eyes. “Spare me.”

“You don’t believe me?” Geoffrey demanded.

“I believe you just fine,” Edouard said. “I just have little sympathy for you - it was not as if before Herve’s death you did not know it was wrong. You just didn’t care.”

Geoffrey frowned. That was true.

“You think me a scoundrel?” Geoffrey asked.

Edouard sighed. “No.”

“Then a fool?” Geoffrey continued.

“Is a fool a man who cannot see the truth before his eyes, no matter how simple?” Edouard asked. “Or is he a man who knows the answer but chooses to avert his gaze anyway?”

“What’s the answer?” Geoffrey asked.

“It’s not for me to say,” Edouard replied.

“I’m asking you,” Geoffrey said.

“And I’m telling you that what I say does not matter,” Edouard reiterated. “All that matters is what you think cousin. That’s how it’s been for a while now, and how it is going to remain. I just hope you stop looking away, fool or not.”

And with that, Edouard wished his cousin a good night and made his exit, leaving Geoffrey alone in the candlelight. The king said nothing, just sitting in silence for minutes, perhaps even hours, lamenting the mess he had created for himself.

….

Geoffrey was not certain how much sleep he received that evening, only that it was sometime in the morning when he awoke.

The light filtering in from the windows was in his eyes, but it was not what had driven him from his peaceful repose. It was Edouard once more, bringing news, and as much as Geoffrey wished to return to sleep and forget about the events of the night before, he forced himself to hear it.

“Countess Mascarose has departed,” Edouard said. “Along with her children.”

Geoffrey’s brow rose. “I was going to see her off.”

“She said it was important she left early,” Edouard said. “Fears over the weather.”

Geoffrey eyed him. “An excuse. A poor one at that.”

“True,” Edouard admitted. “Especially as since she did not depart alone. The queen and many of her ladies have gone with her.”

Geoffrey felt his stomach twist. “She accompanies her to Charolais?”

“Helie told me back to Angouleme,” Edouard said. “Though we did not officially hear it from her. If you like… I could stop her. She went with the prince.”

Geoffrey closed his eyes and sighed as he shook his head.

“Dispatch a few of my knights to watch over them,” Geoffrey said. “There’s no point in a fight that will just entertain the court. I’m going to be in Brittany anyway.”

“Very well,” Edouard said.

“Countess Sarrazine? Has she departed?” Geoffrey asked.

“Left at first light,” Edouard said. “Philippe waits, but does so in the town. He requested to be allowed to depart the palace and I agreed, giving him some gold for the inn.”

“He did not need the gold,” Geoffrey said. “The man isn’t poor.”

“Do I really need to explain courtesy to you?” Edouard asked.

Geoffrey frowned. “No.”

The king sighed. “Is that all?”

“There is one more… message,” Edouard said. “It comes from Duchess Essa.”

“She could not tell me herself?” Geoffrey asked. “Or is she too angry to?”

“Of her anger, I don’t know,” Edouard said. “The woman is a master at hiding her true feelings. But her message is that she believes it would be… unwise… if you and she met alone for the time being, given the rumors about you two.”

Geoffrey groaned and laid back in his bed. Could this get any worse?

“I should get myself out of here,” Geoffrey said. “There’s nothing to be gained by remaining. Return to Brittany, finish the campaign, and return having added to the realm.”

“A distraction your father would be proud of,” Edouard said.

Geoffrey eyed him. “I don’t know whether that’s a compliment or an insult.”

“It’s both,” Edouard said. “But I will arrange your traveling party’s departure. It will take a few days, of course.”

“Of course,” Geoffrey said.

Edouard left him once again, and Geoffrey debated just laying in his bed for the rest of the day. And then perhaps the next day, only departing when he could leave for Brittany once more.

But he realized the affairs of the realm would continue, which meant he would have to meet with at least some of his council before he left.

So he did move to get ready, when another knock on the door interrupted him. He wasn’t sure who he hoped it was… perhaps Essa to tell him she was not as angry as he feared, or maybe Ana to do the same. But instead it was Berard.

Given that Berard had warned him against all of this before, Geoffrey was tempted to just send him away. He was in no mood to hear casual gloating about being correct. He endured it with Edouard because he had to - he needed see and speak with his steward. But Berard held no official role.

And yet… Geoffrey could not do it. He felt isolated… alone. Could he really turn away someone he did consider a friend?

Berard entered to Geoffrey sitting in a chair at a small table, with the king delaying his friend long enough to look presentable. The Perigord man stopped at the table and was met by Geoffrey’s gaze.

“Come to tell me how right you were?” Geoffrey asked.

Berard shook his head. “I just came to check on you. To see how you fare after… yesterday.”

“Poorly,” Geoffrey said. “I was humiliated, and my family with me. I have made an enemy of one uncle, while another likely suspects me even more. A day meant to hail a great man was overshadowed, and his family no doubt resent me for it. I have unified my mother and wife in their disgust for me - almost as impressive as when I did the same for my mother and aunt. Though I’m sure you’ll be pleased to know that Essa has declared it is best we only meet in the company of others, at least for the time being.”

“I take no pleasure in any of this,” Berard said. “I don’t want to see my friend suffer.”

“Forgive me,” Geoffrey said. “I am used to parents who enjoyed seeing their rivals suffer.”

“We are not our parents,” Berard said.

Geoffrey offered Berard a seat and wine, with the Perigord man taking both.

1131-Berard-secluded.jpg

“What do you plan to do now?” Berard asked.

“What else can I do?” Geoffrey asked. “I will return to Brittany and bring the child lord to heel. Hopefully when I return, things have calmed a bit. But… I fear that will not be the case. Especially with the queen.”

“I heard she has left once more,” Berard said.

Geofrey nodded before leaning back in his chair. “She had moved past Ana. Perhaps not completely, but enough for us to be… husband and wife once more. She was to come with me to Brittany. And now…”

He leaned forward and shook his head. “She probably feels as though I have betrayed her once more. It was before… I never would have had I been as close to her a few weeks ago as I felt this morning…”

Geoffrey grimaced. “No. No what am I saying? I would have.”

“Then don’t,” Berard said. “Don’t do that anymore. You need not lay with women who aren’t your wife. Essa, Sarrazine…”

“Ana?” Geoffrey asked.

“Yes,” Berard said. “Though you didn’t hear me say that, if you speak to any of my siblings.”

The king was left to shake his head. “A funny thing that you are more afraid to speak to them than you are to me.”

“I don’t want to see my sister upset,” Berard said. “And Alberic… his pride would just lead to a needless argument. Besides, it’s not really his decision at this point. It’s yours.”

Geoffrey took another long sip of his drink. “We will see. I can’t promise anything now. Perhaps in a few months, it will be clearer.”

He realized at how hollow his words sounded. “But it matters little. I will not have Essa or Sarrazine when I return to Brittany. Nor will I have Ana or my wife. Perhaps a change is in order.”

Berard smiled and the two returned to silence for a bit. Eventually it was Geoffrey who once more broke it.

“How does your wife fare?” he asked.

“It remains difficult,” Berard said. “But she manages. I know she prays that she can find herself with child again quickly. I pray she can too. But she also has other worries now - concern over the camp fever.”

Geoffrey nodded. The disease had wreaked havoc in Toulouse, promoting calls for Duchess Essa to return to her lands. She had yet to for any long period of time, much to Geoffrey’s delight, but the pressure would continue to mount.

1131-Camp-Fever.jpg

As it was Alberic had asked out of returning to Brittany due to the emergence of the illness in Perigord. And Geoffrey was willing to let him, in hopes that he might prevent its further spread to Bordeaux. The recently built hospital might help matters, but he would take no chances.

I don’t need anything like the cough to emerge here, the king thought.

“Have things worsened?” Geoffrey asked.

“We’ve done what we can,” Berard said. “Fortunately the court has avoided the illness thus far, even if the peasantry have not been as fortunate. I pray God continues to protect us.”

“As do I,” Geoffrey said. “But… to be safe, why don’t you and your family remain here? I have granted Alberic leave to return to Perigord. He can handle things.”

“It would be good if at least Lida and Savarics can remain here,” Berard said. “I will ask her. But there is something else - I wished to go with you when you return to Brittany.”

Geoffrey’s brow rose. “You were adamantly against it a month ago. What changed?”

“I said then you didn’t need me,” Berard said. “I can see now I was wrong. Or at least now you do. You have been through a great deal Geoff. You shouldn’t have to handle it alone.”

It was true - before Geoffrey had Herve, Knud, Ancel, Berard and Alberic as confidants. Now, he had none of them, and was tempted to recall Knud because of that.

Berard returning to the fold would be a relief.

But is it a relief I deserve, Geoffrey wondered. Perhaps God tests me… and I must prove worthy of his blessings once more.

“You should remain here,” Geoffrey said. “See to your family. Work with Edouard if you do not wish to return to Perigord.”

"I want to help you, Geoff," Berard said.

"And you can here," Geoffrey replied. "I could use another voice on matters of the realm, especially since many of its current ones are none too pleased with me."

Berard nodded. "On matters of the realm yes. But what about you - the realm is not everything."

“I will manage,” Geoffrey said. “I must manage. As my aunt told me… and my cousin has told me as well… I know what I must do. Now… it is just a matter of doing it.”

Berard eyed him with brow raised. To that, Geoffrey sighed and added. “And resisting the many temptations along the way.”

• 1Love
Reactions:
Did you find out who killed Sarazine's daughter via console command? If you type in observe it lets you see who assassinated whom, or at least who struck the final blow. Somehow Duke Giles pops back up and somehow he manages to get even worse, assuming he knew of it.

It is funny to hear the chancellor talk on these sorts of things since his own son and heir is actually Geoffery 1's son.

And I forgot it was Anges's daughter Beatrice who exposed Geoffery 1's affair with his stepmother.

What's the most you've chronologically rearranged events?

Last edited:
Reactions:
as a writer sometimes you never know if you've done something to alienate your readers. Some will write an angry comment, but most times, they just fade away.

The fading away has more to do with this AAR having an almost 3 year(!!!) lifespan thus far. It's just as fantastic as it was from the first chapter, but it got to the point for me personally, where I simply enjoyed the story and didn't as much feel the need to comment after every chapter anymore.

It's by far the best I've ever read, bar none. You're doing great Jabber, no worries!

Really, the only frustration I've ever had with it is the constant seduction focus. It's a strong lifestyle, no doubt, but it gets old. Foulques, I understood, as he needed heirs and Beatrice couldn't be counted upon for them. Geoffrey, it was selected for you, I get that you didn't want to change it, especially with the drama of him having attempted to seduce his sister before you even started playing as him. That was a gift that kept on giving, especially once she succumbed to his charms. This one... let's just say I was hoping for something else this time, to change it up a little and get some other events into the mix.

But hey, it's your game and your story, and the formula has worked well for you.

Also... how the #&$^ is Gilles still around? Shouldn't he be 98% in the grave by now???

Reactions:
I started reading a while after the story started. There were quite a few things that pissed me off over the course of the narrative. By the time I got to the current storyline though all these events had been given adequate payoff, so no harm no foul. I sometimes get anxious but overall I have complete faith in @JabberJock14's ability to bring all story threads to a narativly satisfying conclusion.

I do hope Geoffery gets off the seduction focus though. Mind you it wasn't uncommon for real-life monarchs to have mistresses. I remember seeing a thread on r//askhistorians that said something like 2/3rd's of English kings acknowledged bastards and quite a few of the ones who didn't are known to have had mistresses.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Oh no not Angouleme! That’s how you know Elf is incredibly angry lol. I think Berard being back in the fold so to speak will be good for Geoff, he seems to have realized just how stupid he’s been and Berard being there to remind him of that fact is good. I’ve actually never been a fan of Alberic, he seems so pompous whereas Berard would be better. Perhaps a change is in order? I’d have rewarded him if he was my close friend in my run but bc he’s presumably Alberic’s heir (dunno if he is?) I wouldn’t give him anything.

I know you said the story ends with this generation but I really hope that you start a brand new story (different thread and all) with Alias, ending the story upon him dying as King of Aquitaine and England!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Excellent chapter, hopefully having to face the consequences of his foolishness will make Geoffrey think more, of course he will likely retain his two primary mistresses but hopefully this keeps him from straying further.

Reactions:
Could have gone better, but it also could have gone worse. The damage is done, and Geoffrey at least wasn't impulsive enough to make it any worse.

It is not a solemnly sworn oath to God he has made, but I believe he'll be able to hold on to that for a while. At least until he returns victorious...
But he's certainly glad to know that he can rely on the advice of his steward and friend, despite doing his best to make them lose their faith in him.

Reactions:
Did you find out who killed Sarazine's daughter via console command? If you type in observe it lets you see who assassinated whom, or at least who struck the final blow. Somehow Duke Giles pops back up and somehow he manages to get even worse, assuming he knew of it.

It is funny to hear the chancellor talk on these sorts of things since his own son and heir is actually Geoffery 1's son.

And I forgot it was Anges's daughter Beatrice who exposed Geoffery 1's affair with his stepmother.

What's the most you've chronologically rearranged events?

I don't think that's possible to find out her killer. I took a look because you suggested it, but it did not list who took her out. I could go back to an earlier save and see who was plotting, I suppose. Still, I just suspect it was one of her sisters just because that's how the CK2 AI tends to work - family members love to off heirs and claimants. And Gilles is the worst, so it's not surprising if he just ignored it if it was in his own court. Then again, I ignore most plots in my realm as well. When they're plotting against others, they can't plot against my character. :)

On Adhemar, yep, I debated making some internal reference to that, but Geoffrey probably can't list every rumor he hears about his father. I'd imagine pretty much every woman in the kingdom would have been linked to the old king at this point... and probably a few men as well, given Count Alias.

Yeah, it was Beatrice. Suited her nature of being an Angevin who was not so Angevin, since it was likely done for pious reasons and not to gain anything out of it.

I may move things around a few months or half-year in either direction for somewhat important events for sake for flow or plot development. Minor filler details I might take more loose approaches with - like when Edouard botched tax collection, I moved that earlier by about a year to when it actually happened because that was when it would fit best. It was a minor event and nothing came of it, so there was no harm moving it.

It can be a pain to organize as a result in rare cases - Agnes last chapters, including the Aines plot discovery, were a pain as a result. Aines plot was discovered about nine months prior to Agnes' death, so I pushed confronting Aines to the last feasible moment, Geoffrey's return from Brittany, and had to drag out how long Agnes was bedridden as a result to get to her actual death in April 1131.

But for the most part, I play it fairly close when it comes to events. Part of the challenge for me is trying to make sense of what the game throws at me and turning it into a cohesive story.

The fading away has more to do with this AAR having an almost 3 year(!!!) lifespan thus far. It's just as fantastic as it was from the first chapter, but it got to the point for me personally, where I simply enjoyed the story and didn't as much feel the need to comment after every chapter anymore.

It's by far the best I've ever read, bar none. You're doing great Jabber, no worries!

Really, the only frustration I've ever had with it is the constant seduction focus. It's a strong lifestyle, no doubt, but it gets old. Foulques, I understood, as he needed heirs and Beatrice couldn't be counted upon for them. Geoffrey, it was selected for you, I get that you didn't want to change it, especially with the drama of him having attempted to seduce his sister before you even started playing as him. That was a gift that kept on giving, especially once she succumbed to his charms. This one... let's just say I was hoping for something else this time, to change it up a little and get some other events into the mix.

But hey, it's your game and your story, and the formula has worked well for you.

Also... how the #&$^ is Gilles still around? Shouldn't he be 98% in the grave by now???

Understood! I didn't mean it as a slight to anyone who has departed, or those who comment less frequently. I just appreciated the note because it's impossible to know otherwise. But I commenting is not an obligation, and I appreciate everyone, from readers to commentators.

And thank you for the compliment and high praise!

Re seduction focus: I understand the annoyance with it. Part of going seduction for Geoffrey II was because I had some ideas with it to hope spur conflict, and it sort of became the default "sin" of the family. But I did want it to take a different nature from what came before. And I hope, so far, that it has. I don't think the fallout from those affairs ever fully was explored with Geoffrey I or Foulques - with the latter, it tended to be other things that went along with it. With the former, his marriage was wrecked before he started down that road. But Geoffrey II's womanizing and the emotional damage it has done has been something I've aimed to focus on.

Very, very small spoilers, but Geoffrey's heir also ends up picking seduction. I landed the character first, so it wasn't my choice. But Angevins gonna Angevin!

Given Gilles has the great pox, I am somewhat surprised he's still around. I will say he's not THAT old - he's 61 so he's the same age as Agnes was. And she was taken down by the cough, not age. The demon blood is strong with him.

I started reading a while after the story started. There were quite a few things that pissed me off over the course of the narrative. By the time I got to the current storyline though all these events had been given adequate payoff, so no harm no foul. I sometimes get anxious but overall I have complete faith in @JabberJock14's ability to bring all story threads to a narativly satisfying conclusion.

I do hope Geoffery gets off the seduction focus though. Mind you it wasn't uncommon for real-life monarchs to have mistresses. I remember seeing a thread on r//askhistorians that said something like 2/3rd's of English kings acknowledged bastards and quite a few of the ones who didn't are known to have had mistresses.

I'm glad I was able to address some of the issues! Obviously, not everyone is going to like the direction I go in, or how some events are resolved, but hopefully they make narrative sense and are, as you say, satisfying.

Geoffrey's not going to get off seduction. He might slow down... but he's not going to stop any time soon.

I know affairs were common among lords. And his historical analogue partook in a few, including supposedly with Eleanor of Aquitaine. Though this Geoffrey seems to have gotten more of a moral comeuppance, though he may not get much beyond that.

Oh no not Angouleme! That’s how you know Elf is incredibly angry lol. I think Berard being back in the fold so to speak will be good for Geoff, he seems to have realized just how stupid he’s been and Berard being there to remind him of that fact is good. I’ve actually never been a fan of Alberic, he seems so pompous whereas Berard would be better. Perhaps a change is in order? I’d have rewarded him if he was my close friend in my run but bc he’s presumably Alberic’s heir (dunno if he is?) I wouldn’t give him anything.

I know you said the story ends with this generation but I really hope that you start a brand new story (different thread and all) with Alias, ending the story upon him dying as King of Aquitaine and England!

Yep, Elf was very angry. She had just started to open herself to him and he went and did that!

Berard's importance will continue to grow over time, as I intend to make use of the fact they are friends in game. I would prefer Berard as a lord to Alberic, but I also did not think Geoffrey would remove Alberic without cause. They don't always get along, and Geoffrey doesn't like his tone, but there is a bond between the families. I think Geoffrey tends to view Alberic as an annoying older brother type - frustrated by him but no real animosity.

That said... if something were to force his hand.... ;)

I doubt I'll be doing much more writing with this group (unless I decide to adapt it into an actual novel at some point), but I'll aim to get some quality Prince Alias moments in our current story. He does have a part to play in this!

Excellent chapter, hopefully having to face the consequences of his foolishness will make Geoffrey think more, of course he will likely retain his two primary mistresses but hopefully this keeps him from straying further.

Your read on it is a good one. There will be events upcoming with his current mistresses, as things apparently decided to start happening in 1132. Every one had a major life event. Sarrazine's obviously is the birth of her latest child. But Ana and Essa had big things happen too. So that will be explored. And Elf also has something rather important happen in 1132 as well. It's a really important year for this story!

Could have gone better, but it also could have gone worse. The damage is done, and Geoffrey at least wasn't impulsive enough to make it any worse.

It is not a solemnly sworn oath to God he has made, but I believe he'll be able to hold on to that for a while. At least until he returns victorious...
But he's certainly glad to know that he can rely on the advice of his steward and friend, despite doing his best to make them lose their faith in him.

Yeah, Geoffrey could have mucked it up worse than he did, but it's hard to say he limited the damage. As Adhemar said, this is one where time is going to have to do most of the healing, if it can be done at all.

Victory may not be as sweet this time for Geoff, as there are some issues he'll be dealing with shortly. That said, there is going to be a lot going on. As noted above, 1132 is a really, really important year. Gameplay wise, things happen, and they happen everywhere in Geoffrey's court.

And that's why it's good he hasn't completely wrecked his relationships with friends and some family. He'll need them for the coming months...

To all - sorry for the lack of replies this week. Been busy with a sick kid, and now a kid who will be home from school for at least the next few weeks due to school closures. My writing time will be a bit more limited as a result. I still am aiming to keep up having a chapter per week, but delays may be possible.

The good news is that I do have the next chapter all set, and it will be up shortly. It's the queen's chapter this time, one which more fully introduces us to a new player on the scene. She's a rather important one too for future events, and it's time she got more than a passing mention. ;)

And as said above, 1132 is a massive year for this story. The next decade of events pretty much all stem from things which happen in this in-game year. And... this chapter begins 1132. So strap in - it's gonna be a ride.

Hope you all continue to enjoy the story. Thanks for your readership, comments and support. Stay safe, stay healthy (if possible)!

Reactions:
Chapter 243 - January 1132
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 243
January 1132 - Angouleme, Kingdom of Aquitaine

He was the brightest light in her life.

A broad smile came to the face of Queen Ælfflæd as she watched her son, Prince Guilhem, playing in the grass. The child, who would reach his fourth birthday in a few months, happily pranced about with a small wooden sword, swinging it wildly.

It did not even matter that the boy sought to emulate his father, speaking about how he would “beat the bad Bretons” as he played. That he could enjoy himself, vanquishing imaginary foes with his awkward cuts through the air, was one of the few things that Ælfflæd was able to smile about these days.

After all, what else could she brag about? That her husband’s infidelity had once again resulted in her humiliation in front of their court? That she had, in anger, again abandoned him and retreated to self-exile in Angouleme? That there were rumors he was bedding the Duchess of Toulouse?

And looking back home provided little consolation either. Her step-mother, the lowborn Catalan made queen Toda, had already birthed King Thoræd a son. And now news had reached Ælfflæd that she had another half-sibling on the way.

1132-Thoraed.jpg

She knew she should be happy for her father - whatever the ill will between them, her time away from England, left her almost missing him. He was gruff, blunt and selfish, but witnessing power up close… and the realization of how much he loved her mother, opened her eyes.

To have chosen me over her… must have broken him, she thought.

But she also could not fully let go her lingering bitterness. Bitterness over being imprisoned. Bitterness over the fact her father was siring more heirs… potentially denying the best choice for the throne, in her eyes, her son. The one who could end the threats to England - both outward and inward.

Bitterness over sending her here in the first place.

But for a little while, that all seemed to fade when she watched Guilhem at play. He was so free, so innocent. And he was handsome - sure she was his mother, but pretty much everyone who looked upon the prince were amazed at his looks.

1132-Prince-Guilhem.jpg

“He shall have the ladies in this realm lining up to be courted,” Helie had told her.

Of course, that just made Ælfflæd frown again. As if she needed to be reminded of the lecherous nature of his Angevin blood.

On this beautiful early afternoon, however, Ælfflæd was free to enjoy her son. It was warm for a winter day, which afforded Guilhem the opportunity to run about to his heart’s content after having been cooped up in the manor for a while now.

And the queen was hoping to use this as a teaching moment as the prince stabbed his sword and then shouted “You’re beaten King Abby!”

Ælfflæd chuckled at her son struggling to pronounce the name of the Irish petty king Abbain of Munster, but then approached him.

In her Saxon tongue, she said: “You’re beaten King Abbain!”

Guilhem looked at her with brow raised. “What mama?”

“In your mama’s tongue,” Ælfflæd began. “That is how it is said - ‘you’re beaten King Abbain.’ Can you try saying it?”

“Are you really going to force this upon him?”

Ælfflæd turned her gaze back toward the manor. Standing just a few feet away from her was her cousin, Duchess Adelise of Mercia, who had arrived in Angouleme the day before for a visit.

“Just because you don’t know how to properly speak your mother’s tongue does not mean my son must suffer the same fate,” Ælfflæd replied.

“I know how to speak it,” Adelise retorted. She cleared her throat and said, in Saxon, “I just choose not to.”

“Elf said speak it properly. Whatever you just said wasn’t that.”

Ælfflæd turned her gaze to the tall woman standing beside Adelise. But the Duchess of Mercia simply smirked at Aevis of Lancaster.

“Well, we can’t all be as masterful with our tongues as you, little sister,” Adelise replied, again in Saxon.

“Mama!” Guilhem exclaimed. Then in Saxon, he said, quickly: “You’re defeated King Abby!”

It was a bit of a garbled mess, but she smiled once more, knelt and squeezed her son tightly. Her boy made the effort to please her, and that was enough.

Aevis smirked. “I dare say he speaks it better than you, Adi.”

Adelise rolled her eyes before shaking her head. But Ælfflæd’s smile remained - at least the sisters provided some entertainment.

The pair had come to Angouleme together - the first time Ælfflæd had seen them since her mother’s funeral a few years ago. But the queen’s focus then had been so much on her mother and the situation in England, she had spent precious few moments with her younger cousin. And in the process, had missed how much Aevis had changed.

For starters, Ælfflæd was surprised at how tall Aevis was. It was true nearly everyone seemed tall to the queen, given her small stature. But the 19-year-old Duchess of Lancaster towered over most women, and plenty of men, standing at least a head and a half over her older sister Adelise.

Given the old stories of her great-grandfather William the Bastard being a large man, Ælfflæd suspected Aevis was just the product of that inheritance.

But though tall, Aevis was not very robust. She was lanky and thin, and quite possibly weighed less than Ælfflæd… and certainly less than Adelise.

1132-Aevis.jpg

But then Adelise had been a mother four times over already, having spent the majority of the half decade pregnant. Aevis had yet to have her first child, despite being married when she came of age.

Ælfflæd couldn’t help but wonder if that was the result of being wed to a much older man - nearly a half century her elder - since Adelise, their mother Gunhilda, Ælfflæd herself, and her late mother Queen Wulfrun never had much trouble having children.

Her own flesh and blood made himself known at the moment, grabbing hold of the skirt of his mother’s dress and then pressing against her leg. Glancing down, she could see he was nervous - even though he’d met them the day before, Guilhem wasn’t yet used to the Norman duchesses.

“It’s alright little prince,” Aevis said as she came close to them. “We’re just your mama’s cousins.”

Guilhem had been peeking his head out from behind Ælfflæd. But he completely moved behind her after hearing Aevis’ words.

“It appears your sweet words might play well with some, but not the prince,” Adelise said.

“I haven’t much practice with children,” Aevis replied.

“No worries cousin,” Ælfflæd said. “You are not much above a child yourself.”

“I am nearly 20 years,” Aevis said as she pouted her lips. “I have not been a child for some time.”

“But no child of your own just yet,” Adelise said. “Despite being married for almost four years.”

“We have not all been blessed with a womb as fruitful as yours, Adi,” Aevis said. “A daughter born last year and already filled again.”

Ælfflæd’s brow rose. “You’re pregnant?”

Adelise nodded. “It is early yet, but yes. However, this trip had been in the planning long before, and if there is one thing I have learned by now, it is how to travel while with child.”

1132-Adelise.jpg

Given the difficulties Ælfflæd experienced during her first pregnancy, going from central England to the middle of Francia was not something she could have imagined doing, even at the early stages.

“I stand in awe of you cousin,” Ælfflæd said. “I mean that, truly.”

Adelise blushed. “You need not make such a big deal of such things. My husband does, and it annoys me to no end. He did not want for me to come. But how could I not? We have much to discuss.”

“There you go again,” Aevis said. “Trying to get her hopes up.”

Adelise shook her head. “Our queenly cousin is no doubt curious over what happens in her home. I just seek to provide such information.”

“I would think being a queen of such a prosperous land, which now extends to the shores of the channel, she would already know of such things, Adi,” Aevis said.

There was truth to that. Ælfflæd did know her father’s second wife had birthed him a new son and was pregnant once more. But how that affected Prince Guilhem’s chances at the throne was unknown to her.

After all, it was possible there could be a split in support between her half-brother and nephew. Not to mention the talk of moving away from the Stawell family for the crown. The more factions, the stronger Adelise and Aevis’ influence could become… and Guilhem’s chances with them.

That was the big reason the pair had come to Angouleme - for a meeting with family she could trust. But they were short one, for Ælfflæd had also been expecting her aunt, the duchesses’ mother, Gunhilda of Somerset.

“I’ve been meaning to ask you,” Ælfflæd began. “For I was expecting Auntie to visit as well. But here you two are, without her. Is she alright?”

“As far as I know,” Adelise said. “But then Aevis spoke with her last.”

Aevis stroked her long chin. “Mother… is not ailing. She was kept away by our stepfather, the Duke of Somerset. He wished to come with her, but she thought, given his reputation, and the talk of problems between you and your husband, cousin, that it would be best if he remained away. And he did not permit her to join us.”

Ælfflæd frowned at that news. She really wanted to see Aunt Gunnie, if for no other reason than the lady reminded her a bit of her late mother. Her daughters bore some resemblance… but nieces could not match a sister.

1132-Gunhilda.jpg

“She sends along her regards, and her sympathies for your marital current situation,” Aevis added.

The queen nodded. If anyone understood her frustration, it would be Gunhilda.

“So, what is there to discuss?” Ælfflæd asked.

“The continued uncertainty over succession,” Adelise said.

“Because of my stepmother’s pregnancy?” Ælfflæd wondered.

“You already have a half-brother,” Adelise said. “Even if she births a boy, the situation won’t change much. But as it stands, things are very much divided between remaining with the Stawell line, or seeking a new direction.”

“And that is what I mean,” Aevis interjected. “I know you seek to make our queenly cousin believe that her son is a strong candidate.”

“Because he is,” Adelise said. “We can make him one together.”

Aevis sighed. “It is not that simple.”

“Can the two of you stop speaking to each other and address me?” Ælfflæd demanded. “Especially since this involves my son.”

Aevis nodded. “It is just that Adi believes we can bully your son onto the throne. But she seems to ignore the damage it will do to England when the country is torn apart by resistance to another foreign William.”

“Because the people of England shall greatly love the rule of Burgheard or Maud,” Adelise said. “Closer descendants to William than even we are!”

“But more Saxon than the Prince of Aquitaine!” Aevis noted. “And that is the problem.”

“So use that silver tongue of yours to convince the lords otherwise,” Adelise retorted.

“It is not that simple, and you know it,” Aevis said.

“Should I consider returning?” Ælfflæd asked. “Would that help matters?”

Both sisters frowned at the question. Meanwhile, Prince Guilhem tugged at Ælfflæd’s leg.

“Mama… are you talking about me?” he asked.

Ælfflæd’s heart skipped a beat. She was speaking about this glibly as she had in the past. But her son had not been present then… or at the very least, not capable of understanding he was the subject of the discussion. That was no longer the case.

Smiling, she said: “Don’t worry my sweet. It is nothing.”

“Perhaps it would be best to leave this until later,” Aevis said.

Ælfflæd nodded and pulled her cloak close as a cold wind blew through. The sky was starting to darken, and a cold rain might be en route. It was time to return to the manor.

Once they were inside, Ælfflæd was approached by Helie. At first, she thought the old woman was there to take the prince, but instead she brought news.

“My lady, a visitor is en route,” Helie told her.

Helie likely did not divulge the identity because of the presence of Ælfflæd’s cousins, but the queen suspected that was revealing enough.

Rolling her eyes, Ælfflæd said: “If it is the Count of Limousin, tell him I will not permit him to reside in the manor. I will have my men forcibly block him if necessary.”

She had her reservations about the count before - as the man was the one who impregnated Princess Aines. But, against her better judgment, she had allowed him to stop at the manor one evening en route back to Limousin.

He had attempted to woo her, speaking of Geoffrey’s affairs, her humiliation and talk of retribution. But Ælfflæd knew that would lead her down a road she could not come back from. Thankfully, she had learned from her years around the lecherous Duke of Somerset to always keep trustworthy ladies nearby.

And so she was quick to call for Helie and Benoite, putting an end to that. She also sent word north to Geoffrey in Brittany, informing him the Count of Limousin had made an untoward pass at her, that was rejected - there was no way she wanted any possible rumor of infidelity to spread.

1132-Queen-Aefflaed.jpg

1132-Count-Gui.jpg

But Helie shook her head at the mention of the count. And the identity of the guest left Ælfflæd stunned.

“It is the queen-mother, my lady,” Helie revealed. “Come from Bordeaux.”

“Geoffrey sent her?” Ælfflæd asked.

“She said she brings no word from your husband,” Helie replied. “I know not what she desires.”

Ælfflæd found it odd. Marguerite never cared for her. Why should she wish to meet now?

“When will she arrive?” Ælfflæd asked.

“Before nightfall,” Helie said. “A rider brings advance word.”

“Thank you, Helie,” Ælfflæd said. “Have the servants prepare rooms for her and her traveling party.”

The old woman nodded and bowed before instructing some of the other ladies to handle the preparations. Meanwhile, Adelise and Aevis came up beside the queen.

“Will you meet with her?” Adelise asked.

“Why wouldn’t she?” Aevis replied. “It’s her mother-by-law!”

“Whom she does not get along well with,” Adelise noted. “The woman has been rather… unkind to our sweet cousin.”

“You have a talent for understatement, cousin,” Ælfflæd replied. “But I have no choice. There is a certain decorum expected. And… I am curious as to what she wants, as she claims my husband did not send her.”

“It is good for you to realize what is expected,” Aevis said. “With a mind to appearances. It is something that is too often lacking.”

The glare that Adelise threw Aevis’ way was enough for Ælfflæd to raise her brow. But the Duchess of Mercia turned her attention back to her cousin quickly enough.

“Would you like us there?” Adelise asked. “She will certainly be tamer with your family present.”

“You’d be surprised,” Ælfflæd said. “Her tongue is quite sharp. And she will no doubt get me alone at some point. But yes, cousins, your presence would be welcome when we sup.”

With that, the queen gave her son off to Helie, and then left her cousins so that she might properly prepare herself for her mother-by-law. Regardless of her feelings toward Marguerite, Ælfflæd knew full well she had to present herself in a certain manner. Otherwise, a difficult situation would be made even worse.

She had Benoite de Bourges oversee the servant girls as they went to work on her appearance. But when they were half done, they were interrupted by the Duchess of Mercia’s arrival at her chambers.

“Already looking lovely, cousin,” Adelise said. “It shames me to know they are only half done.”

Ælfflæd raised a brow. Overt flattery really wasn’t necessary.

“Have you need of something, cousin?” Ælfflæd asked.

“A few moments of your time,” Adelise said. “Alone, if possible.”

Ælfflæd wasn’t completely certain Marguerite was above lying about her distance away to surprise her by arriving early, so she was hesitant to delay her preparations. But she gave in, since her cousin was her guest and a certain level of hospitality was expected.

“I hope this is important,” Ælfflæd said. “I don’t wish to be caught half-prepared when Marguerite arrives.”

“I will delay her if necessary,” Adelise promised. “I am hardly nobody.”

“I can never really tell if something like that matters,” Ælfflæd said. “The woman seems to enjoy misery.”

“Unfortunate,” Adelise said. “And you have no idea why she comes to see you now?”

Ælfflæd shook her head. “I don’t speak to her enough to know such things. Perhaps it is about Geoffrey, but she feared I would not meet with her if she spoke the truth. Or maybe she speaks on his behalf without his consent.”

“Do you think it is because Aevis and I are present?” Adelise asked.

Ælfflæd hadn’t considered that. But Marguerite had to know about the plan to see Guilhem made King of England. Adelise and Aevis visit wasn’t a secret and likely only increased speculation to that end.

“Perhaps…” Ælfflæd said. “But what could she say?”

“I’m uncertain,” Adelise said. “I worry though. We have enough naysayers as is.”

Ælfflæd didn’t like hearing that. At times this seemed a true longshot. And anything to make it harder was unwelcome.

“Does this have to do with Aevis?” Ælfflæd asked.

Adelise nodded. “With the growing factions in England, if Mercia and Lancaster banded together in support of your son, we would be nearly there. But Aevis is not convinced.”

“Doing so will tear England apart?” Ælfflæd said.

“So she says,” Adelise said. “She tells me I am a dreamer, with no foresight to what would come. That I risk bringing ruin to Mercia and my people. I think she is too fearful at best. And at worst, letting her jealousy of you get the better of her.”

“Jealous… of me?” Ælfflæd asked. “Why would you think that?”

“Because she has said as much to me,” Adelise said. “She said you do not understand how fortunate you are. What was it… oh ‘she is a queen to a handsome man, who has already sired a son with her! We should all be as unlucky as she!’”

Ælfflæd’s eyes widened. A heat in her face she had not felt since the night of Herve’s funeral returned.

“She… she thinks me fortunate to be humiliated by my husband… twice?!” Ælfflæd demanded.

“Aevis is younger than us,” Adelise said. “And while eloquent in word, not the brightest of women. She does not look deeper - she sees a comely, brave king and thinks that is all one could want. That lack of vision… is why she struggles to see how we all would benefit from your son’s ascension.”

Ælfflæd continued to frown. “Perhaps she is incapable of seeing.”

“Perhaps,” Adelise said. “But do not let it deter you. Do not let her… or your mother-by-law, either. Instead, steel yourself and stay the course. If you do… I believe others will fall in behind, my sister among them.”

….

Supper was a mix of emotions for Ælfflæd.

Marguerite was courteous - perhaps more so than she’d ever been to the queen. Ælfflæd guessed part of that was due to her cousins' presence. But then again, Marguerite had not taken Ana with her - a genuine surprise - and Ælfflæd felt like her mother-by-law could have still navigated the duchesses and still gotten in her digs.

1132-Marguerite.jpg

Meanwhile, her cousins proved tricky enough on their own.

It took a great deal of restraint for Ælfflæd not to lose her temper every time Aevis spoke, just for the fact she believed the duchess wished to bed her husband. If she thinks me fortunate… if she desires my husband… she cannot be on my side.

And if Marguerite had come to see about the plans for Prince Guilhem, she did not let on. She did ask Adelise and Aevis about their homelands, as well as England. She also regaled the story of how King Thoræd had once, rather forcefully, felt her belly while she carried the future king Geoffrey.

But otherwise, she did not seem interested in the politics of England, leaving Ælfflæd to wonder once more why her mother-by-law had come.

She would not have to wait long, however, as Marguerite requested to meet with Ælfflæd after supper. Again Adelise had offered company, but Ælfflæd had refused it. She was curious now and there was no point in putting it off. If on the off chance Marguerite struck a conciliatory tone, Ælfflæd did not wish to turn her back on it without hearing her out.

The pair met in the queen’s chamber. Ælfflæd ordered it well-lit, and supplied with both wine and ale - though more of the latter than the former in hopes it might keep things short.

The rain was beating against the walls outside when Marguerite arrived at the chamber - it had begun to drizzle as the queen-mother’s party reached the manor and had picked up through supper.

Ælfflæd stood when she arrived. A slight head nod took the place of a bow. And when the servants and ladies departed, Marguerite took her seat, small smile on her thin lips.

Probably forced, Ælfflæd thought.

“You have lovely cousins,” Marguerite said. “How fortunate of your family - three duchesses, two in their own right, and two queens. Not to mention your uncle the Duke of Kent.”

1132-Duke-Osmund.jpg

“House Godwin remains ever present in England,” Ælfflæd said. “Even if they do not hold the crown and are unlikely to again soon.”

“And it is a wonder as to who will,” Marguerite said. “Perhaps… my grandson?”

Ælfflæd eyed her. “So… that is why you have come to see me?”

“No,” Marguerite said. “But it is no secret your cousin in Mercia acts on your behalf. I am curious to see how those plans go.”

“She tells me she works toward that end,” Ælfflæd said. “Beyond that, I am uncertain.”

“It would behoove you to gain more certainty my dear,” Marguerite said. “This is your child you speak of. Take it from someone who has lost a son to the pursuit of a kingdom - it is not something I would wish upon my worst enemy.”

A chill ran down Ælfflæd’s spine. “You… you would have me stop?”

“I would not have you do anything,” Marguerite said. “Except focus on matters closer to home. If you wish your son to have Aquitaine, let alone England.”

Another chill. “Aquitaine… what do you mean? He is already the crown prince and I hear no talk of rebellion against Geoffrey. It is not like England.”

“No, it is not,” Marguerite said. “It is of a different nature. A more sinister.. Insidious one. It makes it far harder to deal with.”

The words were terrifying to Ælfflæd. A threat to my son… that is more sinister than rebellion?

“What do you mean?” she asked.

“The Duchess of Toulouse,” Marguerite said. “What do you know of her?”

“She is your son’s advisor,” Ælfflæd said. “A friend to the late Lady Agnes. And quite a powerful woman in her own right, given the forces she can call upon in Toulouse.”

“Is that all?” Marguerite asked.

“Do you speak of those rumors?” Ælfflæd demanded.

“They are more than rumors, my dear,” Marguerite said. “As much as it pains me to say.”

“Pains you?” Ælfflæd scoffed. “I doubt that.”

“It pains me a great deal,” Marguerite said. “The woman is a snake - and will destroy anyone to increase her power and influence. That my son cannot see that… it is troublesome.”

“So you worry for him?” Ælfflæd asked.

“I worry for him and my grandson, yes,” Marguerite said.

“But not for me?” Ælfflæd replied.

Marguerite smiled. “Without you, my grandson’s safety is threatened. So yes, I worry for you.”

“A means to an end,” Ælfflæd said.

“Call it what you like, but I want you alive,” Marguerite said. “For together, we are best positioned to deal with Essa.”

“Deal with her?” Ælfflæd asked.

“Yes,” Marguerite said. “We need her gone. For all of our sakes.”

Ælfflæd’s eyes widened. “You want to kill her?”

“I would never dream of such a thing,” Marguerite said. “Unless it were absolutely necessary to protect my grandson. And it isn’t. The duchess’ influence can be broken, even as she lives.”

“But how will it be if she remains in Bordeaux?” Ælfflæd asked.

“We make certain she departs Bordeaux,” Marguerite replied.

“And how do we do that?” Ælfflæd asked.

“There is a crisis in Toulouse,” Marguerite said. “Camp fever rages in her lands. But she remains away because Bordeaux furthers her ambitions… cements her place close to Geoffrey.”

“But Geoffrey is not there,” Ælfflæd said. “He’s in Brittany… and she did not go with him.”

“No, but she entrenches herself in the palace,” Marguerite said. “Slowly she works to bring courtiers to her side. Identifies potential friends… and enemies. She sees what can work, and what will not. It may seem like nothing now but as my late husband would say, Rome was not built in a day.”

Ælfflæd eyed Marguerite. She was skeptical. The queen mother clearly did not like the duchess’ influence and that might have her jumping at shadows.

It could be me next, Ælfflæd thought.

But Ælfflæd had her own suspicions. She hoped the rumors were actually just a case of mistaken identity - that the “aunt” Geoffrey was laying with was Sarrazine. That he could lay with two of his uncle’s wives…

However, she couldn’t put it past him. And if Marguerite was right…

“I don’t know,” Ælfflæd admitted. “I do not wish to begrudge the woman on the basis of rumor and innuendo. I know first hand how lies can be spread.”

Ælfflæd stared Marguerite down, hoping she got the point. But the queen mother did not flinch.

“I will take no chances with my grandson’s life,” Marguerite said. “I would think you would feel the same way for your child.”

“I do,” Ælfflæd said. “How dare you think otherwise!”

“Then see it for what it is,” Marguerite said. “Who do you think put my daughter up to plotting to murder your son?”

Ælfflæd grew wide-eyed. “She… are you certain? Do you have proof?”

“The proof I need is that Essa’s grandchildren would come to the throne if Aines was successful,” Marguerite said. “She would stand to benefit. Agnes did not want to believe it, but she and Essa were always too close for comfort.”

“That… that is not proof,” Ælfflæd said. “I think you look to excuse your daughter of such a heinous act of betrayal.”

Marguerite glared at her. “I nearly strangled the girl with my own hands. So no, I do not look for any excuses for her. She is dead to me. But yes, I believe it is someone who led her down that road.”

Ælfflæd shook her head. It was nearly too much. All of this plotting. All of this backstabbing. All of this against her and her child.

“I wish I could remain in Angouleme forever,” she blurted out.

Her hand went to her mouth, realizing she’d said that out loud. However, Marguerite actually reached out and placed her hand on Ælfflæd’s.

“I know the feeling, my dear,” she said. “But we cannot hide from it, for if we do, our children suffer.”

Ælfflæd swallowed hard. “You want her out of the palace. How?”

Marguerite smiled. “Essa is not immune to pressure. Despite the power she projects, she does not truly think she holds an iron grip on Toulouse. And she is concerned about appearances, as my late husband was. We must make it so that she cannot help but return to Toulouse.”

1132-Essa-realm-tree.jpg

“The camp fever?” Ælfflæd asked.

“Yes,” Marguerite said. “We… but most importantly, you, shall host women of Toulouse. The Countess of Foix would be a fine start, but other ladies too. The Countess of Melgueil. The women of their court. Offer your sympathies. Offer your aid.”

“But what will that do?” Ælfflæd asked.

“Shame her,” Marguerite said. “The queen showing more worry than their duchess is a poor look for Essa. It will force her into action… and to return to Toulouse, at least for a time.”

“I don’t think I have such power,” Ælfflæd said.

“You underestimate yourself,” Marguerite said. “You are a queen. You have produced a healthy, strong prince. You have sympathy - my son’s actions with the Countess of Thouars has endeared you to many.”

“Poor Ælfflæd,” the queen scoffed.

“Does it matter?” Marguerite asked.

“I don’t want to be pitied,” Ælfflæd said.

“Support is support,” Marguerite said. “When your son rules as king of this realm, he will care little if his mother was pitied.”

Ælfflæd hated that she kept going back to Guilhem. But it was effective.

“And what will you do?” Ælfflæd asked.

“Assist you,” Marguerite said. “We shall do it together. Between you and myself, we are the two women who are closest to the king. And whom most of the ladies in Bordeaux or loyal to. We work together, drive Essa out, then ensure she cannot get her hooks into the court easily any longer.”

“You’re forgetting one thing,” Ælfflæd said. “If Geoffrey is as infatuated with her as you say he is… he will never let her leave. And even if he does… he will welcome her back with open arms.”

Marguerite smiled. “You are young. You have much to learn about men, especially those who leap from one play thing to another. My son destroyed your marriage for Ana de Perigord… and now looks past her for Essa. All he needs is a new object of affection. And there is no reason that can’t be you.”

“There is plenty of reason,” Ælfflæd said. “Have you not seen the past four years?”

“I know that he was taken with you at Herve’s funeral,” Marguerite said. “And his foolishness ruined that. If you offer yourself to him… I think you will find him most receptive.”

“I… I can’t….” Ælfflæd said. “I can’t submit to a man who has humiliated me twice over, and will almost certainly do so again.”

“It is not submission,” Marguerite said. “It is doing what is necessary to protect your child. It is all I have ever done - with a father-by-law who was a brustish, rapist murderer, and a lecherous husband who laid with his sister over his own wife.”

Ælfflæd’s eyes widened. “That… that is not true.”

Marguerite narrowed her gaze. “Do not comment on what you do not know. You may have loved Agnes, but know that our world did not begin when you came to Aquitaine. She did many things that would sicken you. She would not have been where she was if she hadn’t.”

Ælfflæd wanted to argue but her instincts told her that last part was true. And while the rumors seemed almost too… horrible to believe, she did not trust in her knowledge enough to question it. Especially since she had heard it before… even back when she lived in England.

“I… I will think about what you have said,” Ælfflæd replied. “It is all difficult to stomach.”

Marguerite again touched her hand. “That, my dear, is the truest thing that can be said. And I understand. But time is of the essence. Do not dally long.”

……

Ælfflæd’s ale was warm in her stomach. That should have been enough to calm her.

But as she sat alone in her chambers, she found herself on edge. Conflict and uncertainty surrounded her. And her son could be the one who truly suffered.

If she made a wrong step in England, she might ruin his chance to inherit the crown. In the process, she would fail her mother, who believed she would save England.

Yet the stakes might be even higher here. If Marguerite was right, then Essa had designs on becoming queen herself. And surely she would not tolerate a child not of her blood to rule, especially if she only had only one boy to remove…

But trusting Marguerite… could she really ally herself with a woman who had nearly forced her into the clutches of Pope Martinus, just because she had thought of naming her son after his grandfather?

I wish Agnes were here, Ælfflæd thought.

But she wasn’t. Those days were past. She was gone… as was Ælfflæd's mother. And her brother.

She was alone, and felt it.

There was a knock on the door and a guard poked his head in, informing the queen that her cousin, Duchess Aevis, wished to speak to her.

After the conversation with Adelise earlier, and the belief Aevis desired Geoffrey having taken hold in her mind, Ælfflæd tried to send her away. But the guard returned, saying it was urgent and rather than deal with awkwardly ducking Aevis for the rest of her stay, Ælfflæd gave in and allowed her in.

But there was not much hospitality this time. Aevis was not offered a chair, nor a drink. And it duchess was taken aback.

“Is something wrong, Elf?” she asked.

“Many things,” Ælfflæd said. “Speak your piece and leave me alone.”

“I… have I done something to offend you?” Aevis asked.

“I suppose it is only fair to give you a chance to respond,” Ælfflæd said. “Your sister claimed you desire my husband. That despite what I have suffered, I am lucky to have him.”

Aevis turned a light shade of red and covered her mouth, probably out of embarrassment.

“It is true, I said that you were fortunate,” Aevis said. “But understand, I was venting frustration to Adi over my situation. I am married to a decrepit man over 60 years of age. He lives in Sicily and spends half his year there. I have been married three years and not a hint of a child. It makes my hold on my lands harder. So yes… I would greatly prefer to have been married to your husband. I have no doubt I would have children if I were and the protection of being a queen to a powerful king would bring.”

“If you wish it, cousin, then make a stop in Brittany,” Ælfflæd said. “I’m certain Geoffrey will oblige you, at least with your desire to have a child.”

“Please don’t misunderstand, cousin,” Aevis said. “I may consider you fortunate, but I would never lay with your husband. It would be a betrayal that I could never live down… to you or myself.”

Aevis paused for a moment and looked down. Then she added: “Besides, I am not the one who has laid with her mother’s husband.”

Ælfflæd’s brow rose. “What do you mean?”

“You haven’t heard?” Aevis asked. When Ælfflæd shook her head, Aevis continued. “The Duke of Somerset may well be the true father of Adi’s child.”

Ælfflæd’s mouth fell open. “I’d heard rumors of your stepfather trying to lay with her. But I thought she had rejected him.”

“So she says,” Aevis said. “But mother is not so sure. That is the real reason she is not here - Adi’s pregnancy coincides with when our stepfather last saw her. And it is not the first time that happened - there was talk with her second child as well.”

1132-Duke-of-Somerset.jpg

Ælfflæd’s hand ran over her face. More rumors. More betrayals. It was as if God was determined to show her the Angevins were far from the only ones who bathed in sin.

“You use this to deflect from yourself,” Ælfflæd said.

“I just speak to actual betrayal,” Aevis said. “I have had thoughts… but would never act on them. But Adi? Who can be sure?”

Did it even matter at this point? Everywhere Ælfflæd looked she saw snakes. Her husband. The duchesses and countesses. Ana. Marguerite. Now her own cousins. None of them could be trusted. None of them were in this for anyone but themselves. Only her son could be trusted, and only because he was not old enough to scheme.

“I think I would like to be alone, cousin,” Ælfflæd said.

“Wait, please, hear me out,” Aevis said. “It is important. Especially given the way Adi speaks.”

“I don’t wish to talk about my husband or your desire for him,” Ælfflæd said. “Nor her rumored infidelity. I don’t want to talk about any of this anymore.”

“Nor do I,” Aevis said. “But she brought it up to you because that’s what she wants us to discuss. To poison our relationship. To keep you from hearing what I have to say. Not about her. But about your son… your kingdom… and England.”

Ælfflæd eyed her. “What do you have to say?”

“Adi leads you along with false hope,” Aevis said. “When it comes to England… and your son’s hopes at gaining the crown.”

This conversation was not much better than the previous. But Ælfflæd’s doubts over Adelise’s promises remained too strong for her to ignore Aevis here. She motioned for her cousin to sit.

“What do you mean?” Ælfflæd asked. “She overstates his support?”

“Does she say he has any among the lords?” Aevis asked. “If so… then yes.”

Ælfflæd’s heart skipped a beat. “You mean to tell me my son has no backing from anyone? Not my uncle? Not your step father?”

“Certainly not from them,” Aevis said. “Uncle Osmund struggles with how to protect your nephew, Prince Æthelfirth. He has no time for Guilhem. And my step-father cares little for who is king.”

“What of Adelise herself?” Ælfflæd asked. “She backs him.”

“She does,” Aevis said. “But Adi by herself is not enough. And she knows that - she makes no formal call for your son. She whispers to others in the shadows. It does her no favors.”

“But if she and you joined together,” Ælfflæd said. “You would be strong enough.”

Aevis eyes fell away from Ælfflæd and the implication was clear.

“You… you won’t support him,” Ælfflæd said.

“I cannot,” Aevis said. “Not easily anyway. For one, I have little desire to betray the prince or your father.”

“I’m not asking you to,” Ælfflæd said. “If my nephew is the heir, or father’s new son…”

“You’ll stand down?” Aevis asked. “Truly? Because claimants do not suddenly disappear so easily. Especially claimants that stand to inherit a large realm, regardless of what happens.”

Ælfflæd pursed her lips. That was the part that was harder to admit. She had begun to talk herself into the idea that her son was a better option than her nephew, given his weakness with the Saxons.

“But what if they insist on someone else?” Ælfflæd asked. “What then? Surely, you would back my family over Ed!”

Aevis sighed. “I… probably would. But I am not alone. The same nobles who forced me into my miserable marriage must be handled. And they do not have warm feelings for your husband’s family.”

“Old feuds?” Ælfflæd demanded. “I thought we were past the wars of your great-grandfather.”

“I am,” Aevis said. “But there are those still living who were present when the Angevins and Normans fought. And many who fled Normandy after your husband’s grandfather defeated your grandfather in Rouen - giving it back to the Franks.”

“The Normans didn’t even help!” Ælfflæd exclaimed. “That’s why my grandfather lost! It is their fault they lost Normandy!”

“Be that as it may,” Aevis said, “they do not want to back your son for the crown. Many would sooner make peace with the Saxons, than bow before the Angevins.”

Ælfflæd shook her head. “But Adelise said…”

“Adelise fights with everyone,” Aevis said. “She fights with her court. She fights with her husband. She fights with the Saxons. The truth, Elf, is that they didn’t want her to come to see you not because she swells with child, but because they think her plans damaging to Mercia. To the Normans. And I agree, except that I’ll add, they’re damaging to you and your child as well.”

“How?” Ælfflæd demanded.

“Because every moment you waste chasing Adi’s desperate dream is one you aren’t spending on your standing here,” Aevis said. “I spoke to your mother-by-law.”

Ælfflæd’s eyes widened. “You did what?”

“It was not intentionally about you,” Aevis said. “This is not the largest of manors and we happened upon one another. I’m sure she also spoke with Adi as well.”

Ælfflæd crossed her arms. “And what did you talk about? How she wished you were Geoffrey’s queen instead of me?”

Aevis blushed and Ælfflæd, to her horror, realized that probably did come up.

“We talked about your place, and this Duchess of Toulouse,” Aevis said. “And how she worries for your future.”

“She worries for my son,” Ælfflæd said. “If she could throw me aside but keep him, she would.”

“But she can’t,” Aevis said. “Not easily. And that is something you can use.”

That drew a shake of the head from the queen. “What do you know?”

“I know she comes to you,” Aevis said. “That she speaks to me, because she wants… nay, needs you on her side. Elf, you are in a much stronger position here than you realize. Do not throw it away by looking to England. Reinforce it by focusing here.”

“What would you have me do?” Ælfflæd demanded.

“As I said, look inward,” Aevis said. “Do not hide here. Return to Bordeaux. Be your husband’s queen even when he is not present. And when he is, do not just act as his wife. Be his wife. Spend your nights with him, so that you might have more children.”

“How do you know I don’t?” Ælfflæd asked.

Aevis’ brow rose. “Elf… do you think your rather public displays of rebellion, like coming here, do not reach our shores?”

Now it was Ælfflæd’s turn to blush. But Aevis just smiled.

“It is difficult, I’m sure,” Aevis said. “But we all have our struggles. I have worked to overcome mine by trying to build bridges with those I have reason to dislike… whether they be my husband or the Saxons. Adelise isolates herself by refusing to do the same. It will hurt her… and perhaps her many children.”

Aevis then rose and made her way to the door. She stopped there and looked back: “Don’t be like Adi. Look to me. Look to my mother. Look to your mother. Look to your brother. You will see what needs to be done.”

The duchess left the chamber and shut the door behind her, leaving Ælfflæd to her ale. Sadly, it was no more comforting than before.

….

If there was any true thawing of Marguerite’s relationship with Ælfflæd, the length of her stay did not show it.

The queen mother was prepared to depart for Bordeaux by the mid morning, and clearly had not planned to be in Angouleme for long.

Under normal circumstances, Ælfflæd would have been pleased to see her go. But circumstances were no longer normal.

And that was why Ælfflæd sucked up her pride, and made the trip to her mother-by-law’s guest chambers. It was difficult to stomach, but so was the thought of the possible grim alternative.

Marguerite was no doubt surprised to see her, as the lady stood with brow raised as Ælfflæd entered. “My dear, I would have expected to see you when I departed… if at all,” Marguerite said. “To what do I owe your visit?”

Her words made Ælfflæd even more annoyed to be there, but she resisted the urge to turn around and leave.

“My lady…” Ælfflæd began. She paused. “Mother. If you would, I request that you remain for a few more days.”

Marguerite’s brow rose again. “Remain? I admit, I did not expect such a request.”

“I have decided to return to Bordeaux as well,” Ælfflæd said. “And I think it would be nice to have company on the journey… and so that all might see us arrive together.”

A small grin formed on Marguerite’s lips. “Ah yes, very much in line with how things are done.”

“I thought so,” Ælfflæd replied. “And of course, I would very much like your help in organizing a large sup with the ladies of the realm. Especially those of Toulouse.”

Marguerite’s grin formed a wide smile. “Very well, my dear. Who am I to refuse the request of our queen, especially when it is a wise one? I shall remain, and we shall handle this business together.”

The pair each lowered their heads, almost in a half-bow, before Ælfflæd departed the room. She felt dirty… but better that than horrific guilt if her failure to act brought the death of her son.

Her hand had been forced. Neither ambition nor anger could deter her. She could not run from her duty any longer.

She would not give up on England. Not yet.

But Aevis wasn’t wrong. Aquitaine was her home now. And despite her hopes, her son was far from guaranteed to become its king. She need only look at her brother and nephew to see proof of that.

England is a dream, she thought. Aquitaine is what must be. Without it… Guilhem has nothing.

Agnes had offered her an opportunity. Marguerite had offered a truce. It was time to take up both.

Ælfflæd made her way over to her son’s chambers, who was being attended to by Helie and her ladies.

“Mama, can I go outside?” he asked her as she picked him up.

The day was nice again, perhaps even warmer than yesterday. And so, she let him run free once more, following him out onto the grass.

With his wooden sword in hand, the prince again took to dispatching his imaginary enemies, taunting them in his Occitan tongue. Ælfflæd didn’t bother to correct him.

Instead, she nodded along as he taunted his dispatched “foes.”

We will defeat those that would deny you your birthright, Ælfflæd swore to herself. Or die trying.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I found out who killed one of my characters by putting observe into the console command. Or at least who struck the final blow (as presumably there were others in the plot.). In one case my spymaster offed a character I had brought to court specifically to keep safe from assassination attempts.:mad:

Reactions: