• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
RIP Herve :( You will certainly be missed, both within the narrative and by its readers (me among them). The "old guard" of Aquitaine seems to be falling away quickly lately...

“Ancel,” Geoffrey began. Then he looked to his brother. “Alias, you too. If there is one thing I have learned over my first half-decade as king, it is that it is unwise to fight other people’s battles - especially when there is nothing for you to gain.”

“It’s still an insult to those who came before, is it not?” Ancel asked. “Is my grandmother wrong to be upset over it?”

“She can be livid,” Geoffrey said. “But her, not you. You don’t know anything of it - you weren’t even born when grandfather sired those children with Etiennette. Those who came before us fought their wars - it is not for us to continue them.”

“Easy for you to say,” Ancel said. “It was not your grandmother who was betrayed.”

Geoffrey smirked. “Have you forgotten who my parents are? They do nothing but fight old wars. My mother to Aunt Agnes, because of my grandfather Adhemar’s murder. My father to his father. My parents to each other. Everything with them was a battle - a grievance against someone. If I wasted my time with their problems, I wouldn’t have time to focus on my own.”

Ancel nodded. “Fair.”

“Ancel, answer me this,” Geoffrey continued, “did you ever feel anything toward Etiennette when you saw her? Anything? Anger, frustration, sadness?”

“No,” Ancel admitted. “She was just an old woman, who served the queen.”

“Exactly,” Geoffrey said. “So why waste time fretting about it now? Because your father will? If he wants to war with the past, he can do so on his own. There are plenty of fights out there for us. Best to focus on those.”

Geoff may never quite be the silver-tongue that his father was, but it seems as though at least a little bit of his old man's luster has rubbed off on him here. That's a surprisingly thoughtful dialogue, especially given the extent to which Geoff himself has been molded by his own lineage.

The Queen of Hungary is one of a series of interesting characters we, unfortunately, don’t have time to give a full spotlight on. Ironically she may have done her offspring a favor by dying. All ex-communication related Causus Beli will be gone. Fuck the pope (the one in this aar, Francis is cool) as if he has any moral authority to say someone isn’t getting into heaven.

Agreed -- one of my favorite hobbies when I'm playing is to look for characters who have some fascinating tale of their own to tell; even if I don't know all the details, some of them seem to have quite exciting lives even away from the player's "spotlight." The Queen of Hungary and her own Angevin offspring certainly seem like they'd be worthy of having a story of their own, even from the few glimpses we get from time to time.

Also agreed on the second part as well. The sooner Pope Shagnasty does Christendom a favor and shuffles off, the better!

Reactions:
All of the "old guard" are passing one way or another suddenly. Herve died as I thought he would, in battle in the service of his king. Always honorable and loyal. Very few like him in the court or lords. Geoffrey has lost another adviser/crutch with Herve. I worry about Geoffrey being on his own without experienced and learned people to guide him.

Reactions:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
And now we've lost Herve. Although he was never the biggest character, he was always a likable one, and someone who we had followed for most of his life, even if largely contained to the margins. And it's quite fitting that he died in battle (and made sure not to worry his King with his dying breath). I would have loved for him to continue on for quite awhile, but it's a pretty good end for him. And poor Etienette as well has passed on. Pretty much everyone from the old days is gone aside from Marguerite now.

This is another humbling moment for Geoffrey. He's seen how his hubris can have unintended consequences, and now he's lost one of his most able commanders. Nothing seems to be going the way he would like it right now.

Reactions:
Man. Agnes, Etienette, and now Herve. There really aren't too many left from the early days. It takes me back to when Toulouse told Foulques that the old men running France's time was nearly up, somewhere around Chapter 30. Truly, the music stops for some, but the show goes on.

Reactions:
So it struck Hervé. While it would have been nice to see him some time longer, I'm sure he himself wouldn't be too unhappy of how he left. Dying on the battlefield, in service of the family he served his whole life, doing what the nice dullard was best at. And close to where his father snapped.

Surprisingly, Hervé had always been a voice of caution - and reason - for the warring Geoffrey. So now he's lost that voice in both court and war. Still, Hervé's death - unlike Agnes' - may make his advice ring truer than ever. We'll see how long that influence will last.

Reactions:
Herve died doing what he did best, as a commander and a loyal servant to the realm. It's sad that he had to go so soon after Agnes herself had died :(, even Etienette too. The old guard is slowly disappearing, and Geoffrey will be left with the current generation to contend with.

Reactions:
As promised here's my Herve obituary.

In the late reign of Duke Foulques of Anjou three knights rose to prominence. Foulques the younger, Foulqueson, and Herve de Semur.
Now two of those men are dead, and the third soon to follow. In many ways, they reflected different sides of knighthood. Foulquesson was wrath, a bloody lust for battle. Foulques the younger was a paragon of chivalry, the sun and the splendor of a tourney, though I don't think he ever fought in any. And Herve reflected the iron loyalty of the ordinary soldier.
Herve started life in a rough place, well as rough as you can get amongst the nobility. His father was a loyal servant of his brother in law, Duke Foulques of Anjou, but suffered from depression. His mother, demonstrating a bizarre mixture of both love and cruelty, decided to restore her husband’s cheer by murdering her way through her own family to gain Anjou.
The plot was found out. But rather than kill the family, as many would assume he would given his temperament, Foulques showed them mercy. Herve would repay that mercy many times over.
In many ways, I think Foulques the younger and Herve brought out the best in Foulques, whereas his dealings with Haldora and Ness brought out the worse in him.
Herve began his military career during the civil war between King Philipe and some of his rebellious vassals, saving loyally and ably.
When Geoffrey the first came to power he served him loyally as well, fighting in numerous campaigns to create and expand the Kingdom of Aquitaine. In turn, the King thought of him as a brother, and even warred with an actual brother in order to give him a county, and trusting him with the secret of his leprosy before any other.
He was one of the first to truly appreciate Anges d’Anjou, while others mocked her for her sex and bastard daughter, he fought alongside her to save the Frankish capital of Melun.
Also unlike most highborn warriors, he appreciated the costs war inflicted upon ordinary people and looked to minimize them as much as possible.
He was wed to Macorse, the white sheep of the house de Limoges. They had a happy marriage and three children.
Whenever Aquitaine had an enemy, there was Herve de Semur ready to face them in battle. And ultimately that is how he would end his days.
The story of Herve de Semur is ultimately a simple one. He did his duty, to god, his family, and his ruler. But that does not make it any less important or meaningful. And now his watch has ended.

• 1Love
Reactions:
First a couple of things in regards to Herve/the previous chapter.

I was unaware characters could kill each other - as in both die from an encounter. But that is exactly what happened here. I checked that Breton lord and he was both killed by Herve and killed Herve. (Both have each other listed under "kills") So color me surprised! Sometimes CK2 can still throw curveballs at you.

Now, on Herve.

I have to admit, Herve was an accidental character in this story. And by that I mean he only came into it because of a gameplay quirk. When I wanted to stop Foulques' sister Aureade from plotting to kill Geoffrey I, I couldn't get her to stop while she was in another court. But since her husband, Herve's father, had a claim on Charolais, he would accept an invite. Thus I invited him, Aureade and Herve came with him, and I could end the plot against Geoffrey.

But as it turned out, Herve would go on to become one of this stories most enduring characters. He was a default military person - muscle for Foulques as the Iron Duke actually was losing quite a bit of it! While Geoffrey could never hope to be that martial figure, Herve stepped into that gap. He came out "dull" but he was quite good at war and improved to that end. Geoffrey II's appraisal of him as his "best commander" is fact - Herve was 20 martial and a brilliant strategist. He was excellent at his job.

And while I never had any intention of pressing the claim that got the de Semur clan to Anjou, eventually, I did it anyway. Of course it was not Foulques, but Geoffrey who did it. Perhaps it was fitting that since that territory helped save his life by bringing the family to Foulques, that Geoffrey would be the one to hand it to Herve, taking it from an actual Angevin in the process. I would have made him Duke of Burgundy too, had Simon died prior to him. Alas, that did not happen.

I'll also add that, now that this is out, the previous Agnes send off wasn't *just* for her. The scene where she reminisces with Herve was for him as well, for I knew this was coming pretty much right after. I also knew that I didn't want to do two dramatic last meetings with Geoffrey and these two, so I made the choice to have Agnes get that and Herve's to be more sudden, told to Geoffrey after the fact. And because of that, I wanted Herve to get a more direct look back, hence his role a few chapters before.

But he was a good character - one's whose role very much was of his own making. And he was "good", which allowed him to stand out in a cast of sinners.

Onto your comments!

Herve is positive and helpful right to the last. I’ll have the obituary ready as soon as possible.

The Queen of Hungary is one of a series of interesting characters we, unfortunately, don’t have time to give a full spotlight on. Ironically she may have done her offspring a favor by dying. All ex-communication related Causus Beli will be gone. Fuck the pope (the one in this aar, Francis is cool) as if he has any moral authority to say someone isn’t getting into heaven.

I’m tempted to suggest the young Queen be betrothed to Alias in order to make sure the House d’Anjou keeps Hungary, but it would be seen as inappropriate to break a betrothal with the House d’Semur given Herve’s death, though they still will be getting an important Anjou marriage in the form of Ancel, duke of Britany, and Nephew to the King, though not through his father’s side. A less noted side effect of Geoffery's affair with Essa is that any resulting bastards will be unsuitable for his dynastic schemes. If that new son of his had been with Ana, or better yet the Queen, he could have been betrothed to young Charolette. Instead, he serves the interest of his official father, Duke Guilhielm.
This has got to be rough on Charles. He sounded like an unlikable prick the few times we saw him, but losing your wife and your mother in the span of a few months, while also being denied the regency for your daughter, that has got to hurt.

And is that duke Giles I see under the D’Uzes’s grandparents tab? Wherever she is Ness has got to be smiling at their rise.
Amongst her redeeming qualities was her love for her children and they all seem to have prospered, though one might add that her timely death erased whatever enmity the crown had left for her descents.

-interestingly, like Marguerite, the one-child she had with a man who was not her husband, or long term lover, also became a bishop. Did you just have a general policy of sending especially embarrassing bastards to the clergy?

-the rise of Ness's children is especially interesting since it occurred in spite of both Geoffery and Anges being very weary of that brood. Mind you Geoff 2 has a whole speach about not fighting old wars so that probably explains it.

I know that Geoffrey 2 is a bit of an idiot, but he is becoming a fine king, rewarding loyalty on and off the battlefield.

That is one of the most profound quotes Geoff has ever said. I hope he sticks to the principle. And it is good that even though Haldora will be livid, her son will look out for her interests. Haldora the unchaste, really? She had one affair after her horrible husband died.

The Queen of Hungary was so very nearly an important character in this story. For one, the pope loves to demand excommuncation wars for coronations, so I was prepared to have Geoffrey be forced to fight his uncle to gain his crown. And two, I was tempted to have Geoffrey married to her. She was younger than Ælfflæd and already a queen. Plus it opened up more possibilities in central Europe. But I decided to focus on England.

The biggest problem with Hungary at the moment is that a queen who was assassinated, leaving behind two very young daughters, does not leave a stable situation. I had no real hope Charlotte would keep her throne. Perhaps I could have tried to ally her, but my focus was elsewhere. As is, Aquitaine's focus is going to be all over the place over the next decade, but rarely does it not have irons somewhere. Hungary probably would have gotten the short end of the stick anyway.

Charles was very much Angevin in his affairs. But he's also not done yet in this story - even if he is likely hurting over this double loss, as you note.

I did try to get Alias close to the crowns of some places. But they seemed to view the intentions as sinister! Can't imagine why. ;)

Correct - Ness' husband was a bastard son of Duke Gilles, thus making the d'Uzes boys cousins to Geoffrey on both sides (Second cousins, once removed, I think?). And yes, for a woman who never actually managed to find power, Ness' boys are doing pretty well!

I would say both Agnes and Geoffrey were wary of Guilhem due to their father's blood. But they were less concerned with Ness' other children. Technically they would have claim through the de Poitou bloodline, but there are far more viable options if someone had dreams of overthrowing Geoffrey.

On the bastard thing - it wasn't my intention originally, but I did start to do it more in Geoffrey's reign. Part of it also came because Geoffrey's reign began with a map change that created a whole bunch of new holdings and I needed to fill them out. Edouard, who was probably Geoffrey's most skilled of age cousin at the time, made sense as a bishop. And Aubry, well it just fit to do something with him.

That bit from Geoffrey over not fighting the wars of the past was a thing I debated leaving in. But ultimately I thought it fit him - he grew up seeing the destruction long-held grudges caused and being told he should care about things he didn't. As someone who has been established as getting disillusioned with his father's visions (Rome), I hoped it fit with that larger theme.

Uh oh. At that point I knew someone was doomed ;) (that being the equivalent of the GI showing a picture of his gal back home and telling his buddy about their plans for a little farm after the war, just before hitting Omaha Beach :eek:) but thought it might have been one of the two younger men.

They fall, one by one. :(

That sounded disturbingly wise and mature of Geoffrey: is he actually now growing up a bit?

:eek::( And the penny drops. Poor Herve.

I still think Knud should have swung for that, or at least chucked in the dungeon, or actually banished. Killing a King’s Councillor and respected Physician who helped save his (and others’) lives is not just murder, but an act of lese majeste. Knud for the gibbet! o_O

Yeah, I figured going in it would be clear someone was going to die. The question was always going to be who. I even had to throw in the possibility it might be Prince Alias.

I was getting rather saddened by all these old characters deciding now to just leave the scene. Three months in a row here!

As my wife says on Geoffrey's maturity - he displays these moments of intelligence and wisdom. But they're in specific areas, while in other areas he is decidedly childish. Basically here, it's an area where he had two choices - embrace his parents' outlook or completely ignore it. He chose to ignore it and has for a while. Even in his emulations of his father, which will continue, it's more the spirit of how, rather than copying his long-term goals. This was a more direct articulation of it.

I think these recent experiences have pushed Geoffrey toward maturity. But, as is often the case with him, he's not going to just march forward. There will be steps back.

Knud... dude is just something. But Herve's death bought him a further reprieve, because now he's my best commander. Not that he's going to avoid trouble in the future...

With Eitinete dead is bishop Aubry now the last living Karling?

Good question! I believe a couple still live. Remember the Count of Vermandois was a Karling, and had two children with the Burgundian Rose, Countess Almodis. One of those was murdered (Charlotte, Ancel d'Anjou's wife), but her sister still lives, I believe. In addition, the count remarried after Almodis' death and I think produced a son.

RIP Herve :( You will certainly be missed, both within the narrative and by its readers (me among them). The "old guard" of Aquitaine seems to be falling away quickly lately...

Geoff may never quite be the silver-tongue that his father was, but it seems as though at least a little bit of his old man's luster has rubbed off on him here. That's a surprisingly thoughtful dialogue, especially given the extent to which Geoff himself has been molded by his own lineage.

Agreed -- one of my favorite hobbies when I'm playing is to look for characters who have some fascinating tale of their own to tell; even if I don't know all the details, some of them seem to have quite exciting lives even away from the player's "spotlight." The Queen of Hungary and her own Angevin offspring certainly seem like they'd be worthy of having a story of their own, even from the few glimpses we get from time to time.

Also agreed on the second part as well. The sooner Pope Shagnasty does Christendom a favor and shuffles off, the better!

Yep, Herve was a popular character both within the story and out of it. A good, talented man can easily win friends and supporters.

Agreed. Geoffrey's not going to be his father but this was a moment where he arguably lived his father's policies better than his old man did. And in many ways, it's harder for him to do so. Geoffrey I went out and established himself in his own right for over a decade before he took over for Foulques. Geoffrey II is nothing but in his father's shadow... but he aims to cut his own path.

The world of the AI controlled characters in CK2 is certainly a fascinating one. Geoffrey I highlighted that, but so many other characters also can boast it. Hungary certainly has plenty going on. So too does France, with Alphonse reclaiming and enhancing his power base. I'd argue England has had a wild journey as well, from William, to the Saxons again, to Crusader Kings to... well, just wait. But yeah, the crazy lives CK2 characters live away from player control is what makes it such a wild ride.

Oh Pope Shagnasty. :D Martinus actually isn't faring the best these days. And that plays a role in a few chapters! The church is going to be playing a real role in events over the next decade.

All of the "old guard" are passing one way or another suddenly. Herve died as I thought he would, in battle in the service of his king. Always honorable and loyal. Very few like him in the court or lords. Geoffrey has lost another adviser/crutch with Herve. I worry about Geoffrey being on his own without experienced and learned people to guide him.

Herve was unique in his long time service to the family without any real peeps of discontent. Funny, given how he ended up there in the first place! And of course, he meets his end in Brittany, like his father, though under different circumstances.

Geoffrey's going to have to learn. In some ways, their absence leaves their words with greater impact. But the king's problem hasn't been knowledge. It's been resisting the impulse to do what feels right, rather than what is right.

:p

And now we've lost Herve. Although he was never the biggest character, he was always a likable one, and someone who we had followed for most of his life, even if largely contained to the margins. And it's quite fitting that he died in battle (and made sure not to worry his King with his dying breath). I would have loved for him to continue on for quite awhile, but it's a pretty good end for him. And poor Etienette as well has passed on. Pretty much everyone from the old days is gone aside from Marguerite now.

This is another humbling moment for Geoffrey. He's seen how his hubris can have unintended consequences, and now he's lost one of his most able commanders. Nothing seems to be going the way he would like it right now.

You sum it up well - Herve was a character always just out view, or in the background. But for decades in this story he's been there. His rise and Agnes' were around the same time - both coming to prominence in the 1090's as Foulques spent time away from Anjou and Geoffrey's machinations took him to Aquitaine. But they grew and excelled in their roles. Both arguably could have had more, but both were happy with what they got.

And yes, I *think* the only ones in court who would remember Duchess Beatritz (and in theory Rouen, Foulques' greatest moment), are Marguerite and Helie. Everyone else would have been too young, if they were even born yet. We're slowly arriving at the point where most of the prominent characters don't even know an Aquitaine that wasn't free from Frankish control! Certainly Geoffrey II, Edouard, Berard, Alberic and Ana don't!

Things will continue to not quite work out as Geoffrey intends. He is having a bit of his father's luck at the moment - achieving policy success but losing things on a personal level.

Man. Agnes, Etienette, and now Herve. There really aren't too many left from the early days. It takes me back to when Toulouse told Foulques that the old men running France's time was nearly up, somewhere around Chapter 30. Truly, the music stops for some, but the show goes on.

Yep. And this story, with its format, is something that lends itself toward those impacts. We've been with these characters for so long. And now they're gone. But yes, the story moves on. Time keeps on slipping into the future, as they say.

(And funny about Toulouse and Foulques - given how Essa's now become rather prominent in this generation)

So it struck Hervé. While it would have been nice to see him some time longer, I'm sure he himself wouldn't be too unhappy of how he left. Dying on the battlefield, in service of the family he served his whole life, doing what the nice dullard was best at. And close to where his father snapped.

Surprisingly, Hervé had always been a voice of caution - and reason - for the warring Geoffrey. So now he's lost that voice in both court and war. Still, Hervé's death - unlike Agnes' - may make his advice ring truer than ever. We'll see how long that influence will last.

Yep, I don't think Herve had any qualms with how it ended, especially since he "won" the fight. I imagine he would have liked to have seen his son grow a little more, and Plaisance married, but he wasn't young either. As he mentioned to Agnes, he was expecting his time to come at some point in the somewhat near future, just by virtue of his age.

You're right in your analysis there - Herve and Agnes go sort of hand-and-hand with their advice. And that their loss, especially's Herve, might be a bit of a wake up call. Geoffrey does tend to look for signs and patterns in his life - hard not to see all these deaths to be a potential sign.

Herve died doing what he did best, as a commander and a loyal servant to the realm. It's sad that he had to go so soon after Agnes herself had died :(, even Etienette too. The old guard is slowly disappearing, and Geoffrey will be left with the current generation to contend with.

I really couldn't believe I lost these characters in three months. Not that it was crazy, but just the quick succession of it all. It was if the game wanted to make a point of emphasis.

The current generation are going to lay their markers. Those battles are just beginning.

As promised here's my Herve obituary.

In the late reign of Duke Foulques of Anjou three knights rose to prominence. Foulques the younger, Foulqueson, and Herve de Semur.
Now two of those men are dead, and the third soon to follow. In many ways, they reflected different sides of knighthood. Foulquesson was wrath, a bloody lust for battle. Foulques the younger was a paragon of chivalry, the sun and the splendor of a tourney, though I don't think he ever fought in any. And Herve reflected the iron loyalty of the ordinary soldier.
Herve started life in a rough place, well as rough as you can get amongst the nobility. His father was a loyal servant of his brother in law, Duke Foulques of Anjou, but suffered from depression. His mother, demonstrating a bizarre mixture of both love and cruelty, decided to restore her husband’s cheer by murdering her way through her own family to gain Anjou.
The plot was found out. But rather than kill the family, as many would assume he would given his temperament, Foulques showed them mercy. Herve would repay that mercy many times over.
In many ways, I think Foulques the younger and Herve brought out the best in Foulques, whereas his dealings with Haldora and Ness brought out the worse in him.
Herve began his military career during the civil war between King Philipe and some of his rebellious vassals, saving loyally and ably.
When Geoffrey the first came to power he served him loyally as well, fighting in numerous campaigns to create and expand the Kingdom of Aquitaine. In turn, the King thought of him as a brother, and even warred with an actual brother in order to give him a county, and trusting him with the secret of his leprosy before any other.
He was one of the first to truly appreciate Anges d’Anjou, while others mocked her for her sex and bastard daughter, he fought alongside her to save the Frankish capital of Melun.
Also unlike most highborn warriors, he appreciated the costs war inflicted upon ordinary people and looked to minimize them as much as possible.
He was wed to Macorse, the white sheep of the house de Limoges. They had a happy marriage and three children.
Whenever Aquitaine had an enemy, there was Herve de Semur ready to face them in battle. And ultimately that is how he would end his days.
The story of Herve de Semur is ultimately a simple one. He did his duty, to god, his family, and his ruler. But that does not make it any less important or meaningful. And now his watch has ended.

Can't really put it much better than that. I'd add that the depression aspect was really... costly to Herve. He lost not only his father, but his first wife as well (Helie's daughter). Tragedy seemed never too far from him, but he always maintained his positive, calm outlook. As he said with Agnes, despite it all, he could have hardly asked for more in life - even if to most people, yeah, he certainly could have!

Both Herve and Foulques the Younger were, to the Iron Duke, very much the sons he wished he had. Herve for Geoffrey, Foulques for Foulquesson. So you're right that it tended to bring out the best in him, because he found joy in their existence. I'd say in both cases, Foulques wronged his actual sons with that favortism - both were accomplished in their own rights. And both, I'd argue, were harmed as a result. Foulquesson's bold, reckless, harsh attitude? Being looked past didn't help!

But that wasn't Herve's fault, any it more than it was the younger Foulques'. And in both cases their good nature proved to be to their benefit, making it so most could still respect and care for them even as Foulques IV played favorites. It says something that Geoffrey I loved both, despite a great many reasons for him not to.

I would say I would be tempted to play a save where I did marry Agnes and Herve, gave them a county, and let them go. Had I used matralineal marriage, this would have been easier. But of course, everything would have been different anyway if I did that.

To all - my story with Herve is above, so I'll leave it there for him.

The bad news is the next chapter is going to be delayed. Last week was winter break for schools, and I had a lot less time to write with my young son around (not that I didn't have lots of fun with him :)). Originally, I hoped to get this chapter out by Wednesday, but now I might just scrap that plan and have it ready for next Tuesday since it's coming along slowly. Hope that isn't too big of a disappointment. :(

But in the meantime, thanks for your continued support through readership and commentary! Hope you find the next chapter proves worth the wait.

Reactions:
I wonder how Foulquesson feels about outliving both his rivals and both of them dying in battle. Pride that he survived when they didn't' proving, in his mind, that he was the better warrior. Envy that they died in battle as heroes while he gets to live as his body rots away. Grief for men that he respected, or grief, especially in the case of Foulques the younger, that they never got to definitively prove who was better.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I was unaware characters could kill each other - as in both die from an encounter. But that is exactly what happened here. I checked that Breton lord and he was both killed by Herve and killed Herve. (Both have each other listed under "kills") So color me surprised! Sometimes CK2 can still throw curveballs at you.

I believe this is one of the new battlefield events added by Holy Fury or the accompanying patch, as I can't recall seeing it before that.

I also knew that I didn't want to do two dramatic last meetings with Geoffrey and these two, so I made the choice to have Agnes get that and Herve's to be more sudden, told to Geoffrey after the fact. And because of that, I wanted Herve to get a more direct look back, hence his role a few chapters before.

It is entirely fitting for Herve's final sendoff to be out of the spotlight, yet nevertheless doing something impressive and pivotal to his liege's success :)

Reactions:
I look forward to the new chapter jabber, you’ve really got me addicted to this AAR lol, I find myself refreshing the page everyday! Excellent that your chapter will be released next Tuesday tbh, I’ll have been settled into my new place after moving countries so it’ll be nice for me to finally relax by reading your latest chapter :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I wonder how Foulquesson feels about outliving both his rivals and both of them dying in battle. Pride that he survived when they didn't' proving, in his mind, that he was the better warrior. Envy that they died in battle as heroes while he gets to live as his body rots away. Grief for men that he respected, or grief, especially in the case of Foulques the younger, that they never got to definitively prove who was better.

Interesting thought. It might well be right - I'd imagine Foulquesson would prefer going out on his shield at this point to slowly falling apart. And he certainly achieved more than them when it comes to power and titles, but he seemed to achieve "less" than both. A lot of these characters could have some fun psycho-analysis of them and Foulquesson is no exception, even if he doesn't get to end up in the spotlight too much.

I believe this is one of the new battlefield events added by Holy Fury or the accompanying patch, as I can't recall seeing it before that.

It is entirely fitting for Herve's final sendoff to be out of the spotlight, yet nevertheless doing something impressive and pivotal to his liege's success :)

I think you're right, but I had no idea characters could up killing one another rather than just one killing the other!

You're right on this too! So much of Herve's death proved fitting to who he was and the life he lived.

I look forward to the new chapter jabber, you’ve really got me addicted to this AAR lol, I find myself refreshing the page everyday! Excellent that your chapter will be released next Tuesday tbh, I’ll have been settled into my new place after moving countries so it’ll be nice for me to finally relax by reading your latest chapter :)

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad to have gotten you hooked, and hope it continues to live up to your expectations (starting/continuing with today's update!). And hope your move went well!

To all - the next chapter follows, finally! My original version of this chapter was a whopping 17 pages in a google doc (hence why it took so long), but once I had completed it and gave a read to my wife, she suggested a break point at around page 11. So I decided to take her advice and split it while perhaps doing a little more fleshing out of the now second part.

I hope you all enjoy this coming update as Geoffrey continues with his learning curve. And thanks as always for your readership, commentary and patience through the occasional delay!

Reactions:
Chapter 241 - July 1131
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 241
July 1131 - Bordeaux, Kingdom of Aquitaine

Geoffrey could not decide whether his father would be disappointed… or proud.

He sat as upright as possible in his throne, his crown sitting straight on his head. His hair was neatly groomed, his face clean-shaven. The king was adorned in his finest tunic and robes, with red cloak draped over his left shoulder.

His appearance was so immaculate his mother had even complimented him on it, saying he’d never looked so regal.

The queen had done so as well, though hers had been a muted “you look… nice.”

As much as Geoffrey wanted to enjoy the fruits of his efforts, he could not escape the fact it was ultimately a show. Or really a facade. An illusion. Dress up to hide failure.

But then hiding behind pageantry was a family tradition.

Geoffrey was not under any illusions over his father’s failures. The late king of Aquitaine, for all his successes, had made many mistakes that had harmed himself and his family, at least on a personal level.

But the old king refused to let the world see it. When his health failed him, and Aquitaine suffered under the cough, Geoffrey I demanded the world see his son crowned.

Even if it nearly cost me my life, Geoffrey thought.

So it only made sense to him that after losing Herve, a man who meant so much to so many in his family, that he put on a grand funeral. Show how much he is honored and maybe nobody will ask who got him killed.

Losing Herve had been difficult to put behind him. Not only was yet another person he respected dead in such a short span, but unlike Agnes, it felt like his fault.

And with Jorge’s death also weighing upon him, Geoffrey had begun to have doubts about his own judgment.

It was enough that he debated remaining in Brittany, and continuing his planned siege of Monkontour. Herve never would have wanted him to postpone the campaign on his behalf, after all.

But Geoffrey could not stomach the thought of letting Herve’s death pass without honoring him, and thought it tactless to not attend such a ceremony, given the man’s service to him and his family.

And so he ventured south, and along the way, linked up with Countess Sarrazine and her husband, his uncle, Philippe in Thouars.

He had seen Sarrazine when he had started the campaign, en route to Brittany, opting to spend a night at her manor home… and in her bed, rekindling the affair he had begun the year before.

1131-Sarrazine-seduced.jpg

Part of him knew it wasn’t a wise decision. But he had spent weeks talking himself into the idea Essa would have been joining him on campaign… and her refusal had left him frustrated. Sarrazine was present, while her husband was not, seeming to offer an opportunity that Geoffrey could not refuse.

Granted his heart was made to skip a beat when he met her on the trip back south and the countess confided in him that she was with child. But she had told him not to be worried since it was not his as they had only coupled in the weeks prior.

Even if siring one secret bastard had not badly impacted him thus far, Geoffrey was still relieved. It was still one less secret to have to worry about getting out. Especially since this child, should it live, would be in a position of power as the heir of Thouars - something his bastard Henri would not as Duchess Essa’s fourth son.

Regardless of his mistresses, Geoffrey was back in Bordeaux now and determined to put on his best face in hopes of showing himself to be everything he feared he was not.

The palace was already filled with guests from across the realm who had journeyed to attend the ceremony honoring one of the realm’s most notable men, even though he held just the county of Charolais and barony nearby to Bordeaux.

Like with Agnes, Geoffrey suspected some of that had to do with appearances. Herve was as close as one could be with the Angevin family without being officially in their house. It would be risky socially not to attend.

Some of it also had to do with the grand feast Geoffrey had planned following the ceremony. It was intended to be impressive and naturally, nobles from across the realm would want to attend.

But he liked to think it was also because Herve was well-liked by most who met him that they wanted to be present to say their final goodbyes.

At the moment however, the guests of honor were arriving in the main hall, and Geoffrey’s stomach twisted in knots as he saw them approach - his aunt Mascarose and her two children with Herve, with all three accompanied by Ancel.

Eyes naturally fell on the now-child count Geoffrey, who was already the subject of many nicknames due to both his age and sharing a name with the king.

Some were calling him Geoffrey, but making sure to add the “count” before it to avoid any confusion. Others were calling him “the child” count or lord.

Both were more of a commonplace for those visiting for the ceremony. In Bordeaux, he was already dubbed “Little Geoffrey” or, more often, “Small Fry”, nicknames that had originated when he’d visited the palace with his parents in the years prior.

Of course, then he was just the heir to a popular lord and first cousin to the king. Now he was a lord himself, and eyes were on him to see how the boy handled what was to follow, including the swearing of his vassal oaths to his cousin.

Geoffrey wished for that to go smoothly as well, but for today, his focus was greeting his aunt - not only because he knew he was being watched, but because of the struggle he had just looking her in the eye.

He got a brief reprieve from that task as before Mascarose could even be announced, his mother Marguerite, at the front row of people in the gallery, was first to her sister, offering an embrace, which Mascarose took.

Geoffrey was not accustomed to seeing his mother offer such warmth, though he did remember how she worked to care for his aunt Ness as she lay dying from the cough. But he still could not shake the feeling there was an air of coldness in his mother - as if she were feigning empathy. And it wasn’t because she didn’t want to care, but because she was incapable of it.

Then after, Mascarose and her family were introduced to the hall. Geoffrey descended the dais with Ælfflæd, who offered the lady a much more muted greeting. However, she still hugged Mascarose, offered her condolences and her assistance for anything she might require.

Geoffrey was next. He forced himself to look her in the eye after she bowed before him, though the sadness in them made him want to glance away. After embracing her, he continued to fight that urge.

“I am sorry to see you under these circumstances, my lady,” Geoffrey told her.

“And I you, nephew,” Mascarose said. “It is a day I have long dreaded… but Herve would never shy away from his duties to his king.”

“Centolh told me he… he was proud of what he accomplished,” Geoffrey said. “And held no regrets.”

“I would not have expected any differently,” Mascarose replied.

“He was right to be proud,” Geoffrey said. “It is why I wished to do this for him. To honor him appropriately for his service. My father, my grandfather, myself… we all owe him a debt we can hardly repay.”

“Not anymore,” Mascarose said softly. Then she closed her eyes. “I’m sorry nephew. That was wrong of me to say.”

Geoffrey had been caught off guard by that - though he remembered that even if Masacrose was the most even-tempered of the de Limoges sisters, she still likely carried some of the fire his mother and aunt Ness had possessed.

“It is.. fine,” Geoffrey replied. “It is a difficult time for us all. None more so than you and my cousins. I know the queen said as much, but whatever you need of us, just ask.”

“Thank you,” Mascarose said. “All of you.”

Geoffrey then greeted Plaisance and “Small Fry”, though both of those were brief. He did not know either very well, though that was likely to change in the years to come, given Plaisance was likely to one day be Duchess of Brittany and Small Fry was already a count.

In fact, Geoffrey was already forced to learn more of Herve’s eldest daughter, Eve. A woman grown, Eve was now a countess virtue of her marriage to Payen of Maine, who had now ascended to the role of count after his brother Josselin’s death in Bordeaux.

1131-Count-Josselin-dies.jpg

The former count had plotted against the Angevin family and had lived out his days under guard in the palace. Geoffrey had not paid any real attention to him in life or death, though his passing meant that Payen was also due to take his oaths, after Small Fry took his.

Eve, Payen and their young daughter had been among those who traveled south with Geoffrey from Brittany. He heard rumors she was ill, but would not dare bring up the subject with the lady. In fact, his guilt kept him from speaking with Eve much at all.

1131-Countess-Eve.jpg

And that guilt continued to eat at him now, even as Mascarose and her family moved on to greet Duke Adhemar, her brother. When he greeted Ancel, Geoffrey told him: “I think she blames me. My aunt, for Herve’s death.”

“I don’t think so,” Ancel said. “The lady is just in mourning. You would not expect her to have a cheery demeanor at the moment.”

Ancel was not wrong. But Geoffrey could not shake the guilt that he was the cause of that demeanor.

….

Geoffrey planned for a large feast the next day, but on this evening he kept things much smaller. He made certain to sup with his aunt and cousins, along with Foulquesson, Beatritz and their children, though that proved an awkward experience.

There was very little for any of them so speak on - Geoffrey didn’t really want to bring up Herve, and the business aspects of the funeral and the subsequent vassal oaths and feasts were more explanations than conversations.

This grew a touch more awkward when Geoffrey suggested holding Ancel and Plaisance’s eventual wedding ceremony at the palace, which Mascarose seemed to think well of but Foulquesson immediately dismissed - declaring it an insult that he would not be allowed to host his only son’s wedding.

1131-Ancel-of-age.jpg

Ancel and Edouard were able to ease tensions, both suggesting Geoffrey meant no disrespect, which was true. Geoffrey, nervous about having flubbed yet something else, added that he only was presenting an option, not mandating it.

The good news for Geoffrey was that Foulquesson, despite his short temper, was now mostly on good terms with the king. Two campaigns in Brittany, along with command, had gone a long way to smoothing things over with the masked duke.

But Geoffrey was likely the happiest person at the supper when it was over, allowing him to slink off to his chamber and relax the best he could.

While Geoffrey had grown a bit tired of the reverence shown his father - the man was hardly perfect in ways other than the affairs he was rumored to have - the night left him in awe at the ease he remembered the old king handling situations like this.

How did father do this, Geoffrey asked himself. I can speak sweetly for a time. But it gets exhausting… and eventually I say something dumb. Something to anger someone. Yet he could do it for hours, days… months, years… and still have them eating out of his hand.

The fear of having to do it again tomorrow, for a larger audience, made Geoffrey want to numb himself with drink. But he remembered how he would wake in the morning, and the fears of a hangover ruining these festivities kept his wine intake moderated. Even if Prince-Bishop Emmanuel would do most of the work in the morning with Herve’s funeral, Geoffrey still had to look his best.

He took a deep breath and sipped on his drink, trying to ease his rapidly beating heart. But a distraction soon followed - one he was surprised to receive. A guard knocked on his door and informed him the queen wished to speak with him.

Perhaps she has received a request from aunt Mascarose and wishes to ask me for permission to grant it, he thought.

When his wife entered, it was the first thing he asked her. But the lady shook her head.

“No, husband,” she said. “I do not come here for your aunt. I wished to speak to you.”

“For what?” Geoffrey asked.

“To… offer my condolences for your loss,” Ælfflæd said. “Not just Herve. But for everyone. Agnes. Jorge.”

Geoffrey’s eyes widened. “I… I did not expect to hear that from you.”

“I know what it is like to lose people you care for,” Ælfflæd said. “And I cannot imagine what it would have been like if I had to suffer through my brother’s and mother’s death in such short succession, as you have with your aunt, Herve and Jorge. I am truly sorry.”

Geoffrey rubbed his eyes and then nodded. “Thank you.”

Ælfflæd then stood in silence as if waiting for instruction. It caught Geoffrey by surprise - he pretty much let her alone these days.

“It is no easy thing for you either,” Geoffrey said. “Agnes… Etiennette was one of your ladies.”

“No, it was not easy,” Ælfflæd said. “But Etiennette was so… sad. She said she was alone. Her daughters were both gone, her son and grandchildren in Hungary, and now her oldest friend was lost. She said she wished to stay strong for Agnes, and for me, but she didn’t know if she could. I told her she did not need to worry about me.”

“She did not,” Geoffrey said. “That much is clear. You are not easily swayed. Nor broken.”

Ælfflæd’s stoic demeanor broke for a moment as a small smile formed on her lips, though it disappeared nearly as quickly as it had come.

“Would you like a drink?” he asked her.

She didn’t respond right away, eyeing him and the wine before slowly making her way to the chair opposite him and sitting. Then he poured out a cup and placed it before her. Again she paused to look at it.

“I don’t have any ale here,” Geoffrey said. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Ælfflæd said. “I have almost grown to like the taste of this wine.”

“Truly?” Geoffrey asked.

“It has its uses,” Ælfflæd said. “Sometimes I am in the mood for something sweeter than ale.”

“Have you managed to find the ale here tolerable?” Geoffrey asked.

“I have a brewmaster in the town now,” Ælfflæd said. “It took him a while, but the patronage of a queen can be all the inspiration one needs to improve his craft.”

Geoffrey smirked. His wife threw her weight around more than he realized.

“If you like, you can have the servants bring you some,” Geoffrey told her. “I was hoping for your company for longer than a few minutes.”

“Were you?” Ælfflæd asked. “I would have thought these days you preferred the company of others.”

Geoffrey sighed. “Must you make this difficult?”

“You have never made it easy,” Ælfflæd replied. “From the moment we ‘met’”.

“But I wish to change,” Geoffrey said. “My aunt counseled me to. I did not want to listen… but these last few months and weeks… her words, and now the memory of Herve - a man who never put a foot wrong - leave me humbled. They are gone… but I don’t want their legacy to be gone with them.”

Ælfflæd was silent. Her face was stoic, betraying no hint of her feelings. And it left Geoffrey’s stomach in knots - it was true he could order her to stay. But it would run counter to what he’d just said - neither Agnes nor Herve would ever approve of that, even if they’d agree he had the power to.

Finally Ælfflæd sighed and said. “Tell your servants to bring it. But not just for me. I want you to drink it with me.”

Geoffrey pointed at himself. “You can’t be serious.”

The queen grinned. “I am. If you wish for me to remain.”

Geoffrey narrowed his gaze, and then summoned his servants, ordering them to fetch the queen’s ale. They returned a little while later with a couple of pitchers’ worth.

After the servants vacated the chamber, Geoffrey poured himself a cup and looked over the contents. The smell didn’t sit that well with him.

“Word of advice husband,” Ælfflæd said. “I would drink it slowly, so you might grow used to the taste. Or, if you do not, please tell me first so that I might get far away from you. I don’t need you to have you spit it out onto me again.”

One more the king narrowed his gaze at his queen. But he did take her advice, taking a small sip.

The taste was as bitter and unappetizing as he remembered. But this time, he managed to choke it down, shutting his eyes as if to force it down his throat.

When he opened his eyes again, he saw Ælfflæd smirking.

“Your will grows ever stronger husband,” she said.

“My stomach as well,” Geoffrey replied. “As the lack of ale on your dress bears witness to.”

To that, the queen chuckled and raised her cup. Geoffrey, with a small grin, raised his to meet it.

…..

It never occurred to Geoffrey that he might miss his wife.

Between Essa and Ana, finding servants and whores to fill in the gaps, and an occasional romp with Sarrazine, Geoffrey figured he had kept his urges sated.

And yet there was something different about Ælfflæd - probably the fact he did not need to feel guilt or remorse of any kind the next morning. Nor did he have to worry about a jealous husband, angry wife or disapproving courtiers at fulfilling his marital duties.

Coupling without stress or fear of consequences, Geoffrey thought. I could get used to this.

And so the next morning, Geoffrey awoke with a smile on his face. It grew broader when he saw his wife had not abandoned him in the night, and remained in his bed.

Instead he felt himself stir and pulled her close to him. He expected some type of resistance. He met little.

“Do you have need of something husband?” Ælfflæd asked.

“You,” he said with a smirk before nuzzling her neck.

She giggled, perhaps nervously, as her face also turned a light shade of red.

“Is something wrong?” he asked.

“I do not know if I like this side of you,” Ælfflæd said.

“Not childish enough?” Geoffrey joked.

“No, quite boyish,” Ælfflæd said. “Almost innocent. Affectionate. I’m not used to it.”

“What are you used to?” Geoffrey asked.

“Lust,” Ælfflæd said. “Not that it’s not there…”

She grinned as she grabbed him, but then continued: “But there is something else today.”

“I feel different,” Geoffrey said. “I have struggled with what has happened of late. But this morning, I feel different. That you are here… makes me feel different.”

Ælfflæd blushed once more. “I don’t know what to say to that.”

“Say that you’ll come with me to Brittany,” Geoffrey told her. “After we handle business here.”

Ælfflæd grew wide-eyed. “You can’t be serious.”

“Why not?” Geoffrey asked. “You’re my wife. My brother took your sister on campaign.”

“But what will I do?” Ælfflæd asked. “Just sit there and watch you conduct war?”

“It will be nothing but watching,” Geoffrey said. “Watching us starve the Bretons into submission. Perhaps we will be fortunate and there will be a lightly defensed area we can storm. But I doubt there will be battle. These Bretons have enough to raid, but not to fight. Not anymore.”

Geoffrey pulled her closer still. “As for what you shall do… we will have plenty of time for one another. I might even get to show you the coast. It will be quite nice in the summer and fall.”

“What of our son?” Ælfflæd asked.

“He can remain here,” Geoffrey said. “Watched by my mother and cousin. My mother especially shall look after him closely - you know she would go to any lengths to protect him.”

Ælfflæd sighed as she sat up. “I don’t know that I can stand to be apart from him. Not after your sister’s plot.”

“It will be safer here than in an army camp,” Geoffrey said. He wrapped his arms around her chest. “Besides, perhaps it is time we give him a brother.”

Ælfflæd nodded slowly. “If that is what you wish, husband.”

And he did. More than anything else, the previous night reminded him of what he had lost when he had revealed his affair with Ana to Ælfflæd. It also reminded him that his aunt was right on her deathbed - they were not irreconcilable.

And that left Geoffrey eager to make up for a whole lot of lost time.

…..

Later that morning, Geoffrey and Ælfflæd led the procession from the palace to the cathedral in Bordeaux for the ceremony.

It was a long train of people that traveled, extending back to the palace, as they flocked in to hear Prince-Bishop Emmanuel. The numbers were high enough that no one had to be paid to attend, as was common place for when someone of lesser birth or importance died.

It was a rare thing for the prince-bishop to deliver eulogies for those he actually knew, though he’d been forced to make a habit of it in recent months.

Still it was comforting to hear Emmanuel expound on Herve’s virtues and lifetime of service, spoken by someone who could draw upon personal experience.

Emmanuel told one story which involved Herve escorting him years before and, when they were caught in a rainstorm, offered the prince-bishop his cloak to keep dry after Emmanuel’s was misplaced. His reasoning, Emmanuel claimed, was that Herve said: “I am a knight conditioned for hardship. You are one of God’s men - it is our duty to honor and protect you.”

The story moved Mascarose to further tears and reminded Geoffrey that he did have those around him who had been worth aspiring to… and still were.

Herve’s body was laid to rest in Bordeaux as it was unlikely to survive the transport to Charolais. But his heart had been removed and was set to be buried with his ancestors in Charolais, akin to what had been done with Agnes and Fontevraud Abbey.

Then Geoffrey led the procession back to the palace, for the next set of festivities - to have the new count of Charolais to pay homage to him.

In some ways it was similar to what happened the day before - Geoffrey waiting upon the dais with Small Fry making his way to him through the center of the hall.

But there was one difference - yesterday, gallery had all stood. Today, they all sat, at the many benches and tables placed around the hall with just the center open.

In fact that was why Geoffrey did not sit - there was no place for his throne with the table present. So he stood in front of the table with Ælfflæd by his side and awaited his cousin’s approach.

1131-Small-Fry.jpg

Small Fry’s walk forward was slow. Even from his place, Geoffrey could see the boy was nervous. The count held his hands together so tightly they trembled.

When he reached the dais, he bowed and Geoffrey descended the steps to meet him. He took the boy’s hands, which continued to shake.

And in that moment Geoffrey was taken back - back to when he was first crowned as a co-king to his father. And the day he made the march through the hall and to the throne, alone, for the first time. And when he had to receive his most prominent vassals and administer their oaths.

It left him feeling empathy for his cousin, enough so that Geoffrey practically forgot about the fact he was in a hall filled with the nobles of the kingdom and ignored protocol. Instead, he dropped to a knee, put his hand on the boy’s shoulder and whispered in his ear.

“I know,” he said. “I know what it is like. I have been in this position - taking over for one’s father. You are worried about a mistake… what they will all think.”

The young count nodded before saying softly. “I don’t remember the words. Not all of them cousin. My king, I mean. I’m sorry.”

Geoffrey smiled. “You need not worry, cousin. I shall whisper them to you. Just follow my lead. And if you make a mistake, worry not what they think. We are family. We are blood. That is all that matters.”

His words elicited a nod from the boy, who did as he was told. And there were some stumbles, but Geoffrey would merely whisper or mouth the correct phrasing to his young cousin, allowing the ceremony to continue.

Finally, Geoffrey embraced the new count of Charolais to the sound of applause and cheers from the hall.

With that business done, Geoffrey had another set of oaths to deal with - those of Count Payen of Maine. That went much smoother with an adult lord and Geoffrey took an extra moment for he and the queen to give another embrace to Herve’s daughter, and now a countess, Eve.

And with that it was time for the actual feast to begin - with food and proper entertainment. Geoffrey returned to his place at the center of the table on the dais, seated next to his wife on one side and his mother on the other.

It was a rather heavily packed dais on this occasion as the young count was also permitted to join them, seated next to Prince Alias, along with Mascarose, seated to Ælfflæd’s left. So too were Plaisance and Eve, the latter with the newly risen Count Payen of Maine by her side.

In addition, Duke Foulquesson and Duchess Beatritz were there as were their children, Ancel, Marguerite and Guillaumette. Duke Guilhem and Duchess Essa were also present but their children were too young to join them and were seated elsewhere. Rounding out the dais was Duke Adhemar and Duchess Anne, and their son, also named Adhemar.

Geoffrey would have loved to find room for his cousins, Edouard and the d’Uzes boys, along with the Perigords. But there simply was not enough space for it, so they went to a table closest to the center on the right, where others who were close to the royals found themselves.

That included Geoffrey’s uncle Philippe and Countess Sarrazine, along with her sister, Berthe, and her husband. Philippe had missed out on the dais due to the former’s lack of powerful titles. Being just a mayor, at his wife’s behest no less, did not compare to his ducal brothers.

During the feast, it was not uncommon for some entertainment to perform. Geoffrey had heard of fire-breathers, but on this occasion, went with something more simple.

Given he was honoring a man who had long-served his family, and with his thoughts of his forebearers and those who had passed as of late, Geoffrey thought it might be a good idea to honor them all. And so he did by hiring performers to sing about the many accomplishments of the recent Angevins, including Herve and Agnes’ victory over Philip of Champagne, Geoffrey I’s establishment of the kingdom and Foulques the Younger’s heroic sacrifice for his family.

One particular amusing moment for Geoffrey came somewhat early on when it came time to describe his grandfather’s, Foulques IV, victory at Rouen. The problem sat by Geoffrey’s side - how were they to present the defeated English king Ælfmær, grandfather and namesake to Queen Ælfflæd?

The solution Geoffrey thought was almost ingenious. The performers sang how the English king was bested after a tough, close battle and that he and Foulques thought so well of one another afterward, that they promised that one day, their houses would be joined. Of course, it was a promise that had been upheld, twice over.

“That story is not true,” Ælfflæd told Geoffrey quietly.

The king smirked. “Are you certain? My brother and your sister were wed. And then us. It seems very plausible to me.”

Ælfflæd shook her head but smiled. It was a stark contrast to Geoffrey’s mother, who scowled the entirety of the parts about Foulques.

For a moment, Geoffrey thought of trying to justify it to her. But he ended up staying silent - there was no point. Her hatred toward his grandfather was dead set, and even if Geoffrey could understand it, he could never share it.

And at the very least, her mood seemed to slightly improve as they moved onto Geoffrey’s father and Marguerite herself, though they glossed over the numerous problems the pair had.

There was even a bit about the tragic love of Geoffrey’s brother Foulques and Princess Æthelræda of England, which made both Marguerite and Ælfflæd tear up.

As the festivities continued it was difficult to hear much beyond the conversation next to him. But as time went on, there seemed to be some commotion in the gallery, among the group of tables that housed many of those who just missed out on the dais.

Geoffrey summoned Edouard over to find out what was going on, and the bishop soon reported back the issue appeared to be with Countess Sarrazine and her family - Geoffrey’s uncle Philippe as well as her sister - though the exact nature Edouard could not hear without actually taking part in the conversation.

Since it still wasn’t too much of a bother, Geoffrey let it continue, allowing Edouard to return to the gallery.

But after a little while, it continue to grow louder and draw more attention to the hall. It was clear all were growing more and more agitated, prompting Geoffrey to send Edouard back to find out what was going on.

“I will not hold my tongue!”

Geoffrey looked over and saw it was Berthe de Thouars - Sarrazine’s sister. She was standing now, and appeared to be switching her gaze between the countess and Edouard.

“Now is not the time,” Edouard argued. “We are in the middle of a feast and…”

“Listen to the king’s steward,” Sarrazine said.

“I am sorry sister,” Berthe said. “But I cannot remain silent. It was wrong. It was improper! You should not have laid with the king and forsaken your marital vows!”
The collective gasps and shouts from the hall were already ringing out before Geoffrey could process what had been said.

But he realized it soon enough, especially since she shouted it again, and he felt the heat in his face while his stomach twisted. His mind raced…

Do I deny it? Do I stay silent? Do I defame her? Do I…

He turned his head and was caught by the glare of Ælfflæd, who was wide-eyed with a face that was turning a dark reddish hue. Geoffrey’s breath stopped.

He knew there was not even a question in her mind over whether it was true.

It did not get any better when he spun his head the other way, to see his mother biting her lip with her eyes closed. She then sighed and slightly shook her head.

She believes it too.

And as his eyes scanned those he knew… he found more of the same. Edouard, Berard, Alberic… none of them seemed at all surprised. With eyes down or heads shaking, they appeared simply disappointed, or embarrassed.

Not to mention his uncle, who was red faced. Was it out of embarrassment… or rage. Or both?

The eyes of the court had fallen upon Geoffrey though. I am the king. They want to know how I will react.

“This is no…,” Geoffrey began. His voice cracked and he cleared his throat. “This is not the place to discuss or spread salacious rumors.”

“It is fact,” Berthe said.

“Quiet!” Geoffrey ordered. “Or I will have you thrown from here! I will not permit you to ruin the celebration of a good man’s life with your…. Vile words.”

Philippe shook his head. “The celebration was ruined with your vile deeds, nephew. That is the truth of it.”

Philippe then stormed out of the hall, making his move before Geoffrey could respond. The guards did not make any motion to stop him.

Once he had gone, the eyes of the hall fell upon Countess Sarrazine, who held her hand to her mouth, with her face red. Geoffrey guessed it was due to embarrassment, but anger was a possibility, given it was her sister who outed them.

All the while, the hall was alive in chatter. Geoffrey could not make out what was being said over the cacophony of noises, but he didn’t need to. What else could they be talking about?

“Enough!” Geoffrey shouted. “We shall have no more of this talk. You are a guest, Berthe de Thouars. And you will abide by the rules of this palace, or you shall be thrown from it!”

Geoffrey was angry enough to do it. But Berthe sat down and lowered her head. Sarrazine, who had been seated the whole time, also dropped her head.

There was silence in the hall, as if the gallery wished to see if anyone would dare speak up. And in his frustration, Geoffrey simply shouted: “Well? Eat, drink! Have I not provided enough for you? Is it not good enough?”

To that the hall broke out in small chatter, nervous murmurs, but did as they were told. All the while Geoffrey sat motionless for a time, breathing heavily through his nostrils as he stared out at the gallery.

He said little else throughout the remainder of the feast. Some of it was by choice - he didn’t know what he could say. Lying would do him no good - he doubted anyone he cared about would believe him. Admitting it was pointless as well - this was a poor place for such a thing.

But even if he wished to try either, he would not find an audience for it. Ælfflæd refused to make eye-contact with him any further on the evening.

And when he summoned forth Edouard to escort the countess to a private chamber so she might eat without the scornful eyes of the hall upon her, Marguerite simply glared at Geoffrey the entire time.

“It is for her good,” Geoffrey said. “She should not suffer.”

Marguerite did not reply, simply turning her gaze back toward the gallery and drinking her wine.

He wanted to slide under the table and hide. He wanted to throw everyone out of the hall. He wanted to get up and leave.

But he could feel his father’s scornful gaze upon him. And he knew no matter where he went, he could not escape it.

So he just sat there, stewing in his own embarrassment and misery as the hall chatted away.

1131-Affair-revealed.jpg

• 1Love
Reactions:
SO NICE... once I thought this could give a happy marriage... and then... past comes and bites his arse

Reactions:
Whenever Geoff gets happy with Elf, that is when you know his affairs are going to be exposed. I think a little prince or princess will be on the way soon.

Poor Eitonete. At least in narrative terms, we got some ideas as to her feelings.

And poor Sarazine. Just when life was starting to improve, with another child on the way. And poor Phillipe. He may have been a bit insensitive, but he's been nothing but a loyal husband, in spite of speculation that he would try to seize power from Sarazine, and this is the thanks he gets? He can at least take comfort in the fact that her child is his if he believes it.

You've really outdone yourself this time sir. After a dry spell with Geoffery 1's relatively bland parade of beddings, we are back in mistress drama central.

• 1Like
Reactions:
FFFFFFFFFFFF every time Geof gets on good with Ælfflæd she ends up finding out about an affair of his ugh Geof stop being so stupid! I actually had to wince at the line when his affair is revealed oof. But for real though, I do hope he’s learnt a lesson and will patch things up but I doubt it, he’s too lustful to stay faithful rip

And thank you @JabberJock14 I did indeed have a successful move, all settled in the UK!

• 1Like
Reactions:
And there it is. Geoffrey's tradition of bedding women who aren't his wife after a victory, retaliating in full power. It didn't work the first time - a warning sign he ignored. Chose a woman who might be more willing. The second time worked too well, increased his confidence. And the third time, it all crumbles upon him.

Fittingly, at Hervé's funeral. First, all went well, as the old count deserved. And then, no more.

Geoffrey doesn't learn from warnings, only from consequences. Perhaps this will be the final straw for his victory-seduction-tradition. A few more consequences and he may end up being virtuous, though the losses leading to that would have to be very great indeed.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I can foresee a future where his son, as King of England, might try to depose him, supported by his mother, the cuckold Queen of Aquitaine... maybe we are going to see some Henry II and Eleanor and kids internal struggle after all ITL

Reactions: