• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I got Foulques I and Aines vibes from Geoffrey and Essa; the difference is that the latter is wiser and the former did not kill a man for his wife.

Considering his spat with his uncle and the duel implications, grandson may not be too far off from grandfather. Agnes' observation was right on the nail about Geoff II.

He represents a lot of both families, and it's come together in a destructive mix. At this point, I'd wager few people care for him, but those of important personage carry great benefits to those that follow them.

Berard hasn't given up on him, but you get the feel that he is distancing himself from the mess that is brewing. His wife is a convenient excuse, but since his introduction he has always struck me as a caring individual.

Unsurprising that he is one of the few nobles with a great relationship with his wife...at least from the exterior as we can see.

Knud. Knud, Knud, Knud. What is one to do with that Dane? Some punishment could be meted out without incurring major whiplash, but it requires greater diplomacy than Geoff II has at this point in his life.

As far as Marguerite goes...not a surprising choice. Controversial but controlled, though his wife as regent would go a long way to mending a relationship.

And of that, Geoff II and Ana. He seems a tad bitter when he mentioned that to Berard, but I'll chalk that up to Berard's refusal and how awry his life is going.

Suffering does build character. Not necessarily good all the time though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's interesting that Beard chooses to sympathize with the Queen instead of his sister, who he could say should have married Geoff after they slept together for the first time. I know the Periograds aren't a close family but still. Geoff 2 has the worse of all his relatives, but also the best. He has Foulques's martial vigor and the instinctive kindness both Geoff 1 and Marguerite had before the world curdled their hearts.

It's an interesting thing that Geoff's relationship with Anna deteriorates as soon as he ruins his relationship with his wife to be with her. Maybe a case of her no longer being forbidden fruit, or maybe he is subconsciously projecting his own guilt onto her, though as Elf points out she too shares in that guilt. It is yet another echo of Foulques and Allerade, the high watermark for her being right after Bella's birth when Beatriz died and everyone figured she'd marry Foulques. If Geoff 2 sets Anna aside I hope he handles it better than Foulques did. That will not be a hard bar to clear.

Reactions:
Wow. Finally caught up here again and things have definitely been happening here! Sadly Ælflæd has been a bit anonymous since her trip to England, but the Duchess of Toulouse has stepped up to try and fill the Elf-shaped hole in my heart. Especially with amazing Agnes's exit. Perhaps in time Essa might even fill the gigantic shoes she's left behind. More than anything in this tale, Agnes' passing truly feels like the end of an era and the send-off you gave her was perfect. I was instantly reminded of the bickering ancestor ghosts in The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, which can only be a good thing! :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think Elf will step back into prominence. With Anges dead someone's going to have to be the new secondary POV, though we may have Marguerite chapters covering the regency and her death.

Reactions:
Dear god one chapter after Anges dies and already he is making idiotic decisions. Mind you Essa could make a good advisor after all her first piece of advice was to tell Geoff what an incredibly dumb idea it was to bring her to Britany. Literally any other woman would have caused fewer problems. Random whores, disposable and unlikely to cause trouble. Anna, she's always been kind to Geoff and is unlikely to give political trouble. Elf, a chance to further mend the relationship and produce more heirs. Even Sarazine has the excuse of having taken part in previous wars.

The thread is going to be so pissed about Marguerite getting Anges's old job. Stat wise she will probably make a pretty good regent. 16 Diplo is nothing to laugh at. I have a feeling though that the regency will prove a double-edged sword for her. She kept telling herself that once she had power and control over her life it would all be worth it. Well now god has rewarded her, literally everyone who made her life miserable, Anges, Foulques, her husband, they are all dead, she waited out the storm. Is she happy now? (I don't see the depressed trait, though it might be blocked by the character description) I doubt that very much. Maybe that realization will spark a positive change. Regardless it is a fitting point for her arc. From adulteress locked away in the tower to Queen regent in her own right, by way of a very long detour.

Marguerite's hatred of Elf remains the worse and most baffling thing about her. She adored her sister who was also a Saxon. Maybe it's genuinely just cultural posturing, Geoff also had the kind trait, but threw that out the window when it involved women who didn't fit the Aquitaine ideal, see his comments about that gluttonous woman he slept with or his sister Bella.

Duoard is finally doing something relevant. I see he still hasn't sired an heir. A shame, though he seems to have led a well enough life. His mother would be happy about that. Lithouase is a good minor character. She was never going to be a major player in the story like Allerade or Beatriz. But she did her part as a minor character, finally managed to alleviate some of her loneliness, and gave her life to bring her child into the world and keep him safe. Hers is a simple story, but simple is not always bad.

Not punishing Knud was a mistake, the worse of them all, all the more bizarre then that Geoff was counseled to do it by his advisors. He has killed two spymasters, I imagine others would be reluctant to serve on Geoff's council now. At this point given Knud and Aines's non-punishments, it would seem that murder is now legal in Aquitaine.

I see Geoff has managed to anger Beard. In bromance as in romance, it would seem the Periograds are doomed to be slighted by Geoffery.

All of his vassals seem to have a high opinion of him, one that their interactions often wouldn't indicate, Foulquesson has a 100 and Alberic, in spit of their quarleing has a 94, which in fairness, given that one of the Periograds is Geoff's best friend and the other is his lover, it would fit in line with him being the Periograd who likes Geoff the least.

Oh, and the youngest of Geoff's legitimate children is named Alias, stupid of me to have forgotten that, yeah he's the one who I thought would get Jerusalem. Weird that Foulquesson would name his heir after one of Ness's children, though maybe Beatriz was the one who gave him his name. Speaking of youngest children (and my continued obsession with extremely minor characters, what happened to the last bastard Geoff fathered, the one he was so proud of having fathered while a lepper.

Thank you for appreciating my long posts, I sometimes worry you get irritated by them, as I ask so many questions about so many often trivial things.

Geoffrey's decision makes a certain amount of sense, as Edouard notes, but it's clear all those reasons are secondary. It's transparent , which makes Essa a politically poor choice for him. But he's set in his ways and has been itching to do this for over a year now. The opportunity *seems* too good to pass up.

Marguerite's "return" I did figure was going to illicit some groans from people. I understand why - sympathetic as I am to her at times, she remains toxic. But I felt Geoffrey retreating back to what he knows made sense to him. Everyone is questioning his judgment - he might as well appoint the person least likely to betray him. Of course in game terms, Marguerite is actually an excellent regent to have, given her pretty solid skills around the board. Elf's stewardship skill would be probably the most valuable for a long-term regency though - going far over that demesne limit can wreck your levy size quickly.

Marguerite remains "depressed". She has recovered fully from the cough, to my surprise. I will say she's been around long enough to read situations well - and that may lead her toward avenues you might not expect based on her prior actions.

When it comes to Elf, Marguerite's issues stem from the rumors of what went on during her imprisonment in Tunis, which "sullied" her. She argued against the marriage when Geoffrey I arranged it, basically thinking a "ruined" girl was not good enough for her son. (Hypocrisy, thy name is Marguerite). That bitterness over being dismissed has not gone away, though Marguerite, when not under the red mist, can be practical. So there's more to come there.

My opinion of Douard went up just because his portrait now is so much better. :) Honestly, there are a few people I could have stuck in the role, but I was convinced that it was just going to end up in the spymaster's eventual murder, so I didn't want to put anyone I really cared about in the role. Plus his opinion of Geoffrey remains sky high due to being given Aurilliac, so it meant Geoffrey was safer with him there. I actually debated using Aubry Karling... but his skill just wasn't high enough.

Knud's situation was annoying me. But I didn't want to necessarily lose a very good martial character when I was planning to do a lot of fighting. Fate seems to be on the Dane's side as well - at least in the short term.

Geoffrey's relationships with the Perigords remains something different - they all rather informal with him. That has its perks and drawbacks - as he tends to give them more rope but they often hang themselves with it. Ana restrained, but both Alberic and Berard like to tread places they shouldn't. That will lead to varying results for them all. There will be times when they will find themselves ascendant, and other times... not.

You are right that Geoffrey's relationships are quite good - and actually with everyone. But some of it is very much temporary - Foulquesson has the high buff from prior relationship with predecessor and Geoffrey intervening in his war. Elf's high score is entirely the gift Geoffrey gave her. The greedy trait makes her easy to bribe. So I tried to show that in text - privately they're feuding and cold to one another, but unlike Marguerite, Elf is fully invested in doing queen things. That includes hosting visiting ladies like Assalide.

The other thing that helps massively is actually Adhemar. His diplomacy score is sky-high and helps smooth out certain situations. But not all - as we'll get to soon enough.

Yeah, it is Prince Alias. Which I found funny because in real life, Geoffrey Plantagenet did have a younger brother, Elias, though I believe he was named after their ancestor, Elias of Maine. But it fit perfectly when I got to that point, so I was pleased Geoff I and Marguerite had another son.

I figure Ancel is just a name - Foulquesson didn't particularly care that Ness used it. (But that's what I have to say, since I had no control over that name - it happened after I gave Foulquesson control of counties in Brittany)

I appreciate the commentary and analysis, so no irritation here!

Oh dear, oh dear. Geoffrey you really can’t stop making an idiot of yourself can you? Should’ve banished Knud properly at least. The whole thing with Essa is dangerously close to the edge of the cliff of pissing off everyone if it hasn’t already happened and he really should end it. Btw could you use the debug_mode thing to check if her new son really is Geoff’s bastard bc I don’t recall a screenshot of the whole “Essa has had a son but Guilhem thinks it’s his” event chain.

That realm tree though. Christ it’s gonna me a mess if a rebellion does happen at some point. I usually make sure all my vassals are between 10-20% power of the king. My current run they’re all at like 10-15 though so it’s all good lmao. I’d argue that the regency decision is his worst tbh, it just angers his wife unnecessarily. If I’m not mistaken, Eleanor of Aquitaine also had a somewhat frosty relationship with Henry II but he still trusted her enough to be his regent? And Richard Cœur de Lion as well but I can’t remember exactly the type of marriage he had. Having a bishop as regent would be better but considering Edouard is fed up with him I’m also not sure I’d trust him enough. A shame about Berard though, I’d also have expected him to be named but as Geoff pointed out, there are others that are more powerful than him. I reckon it’s better to be a friend of a king than his advisor bc you have his ear anyways, what with it being such a close friendship that he doesn’t even have to bother with formalities that much so surely that’s more valuable than being actual advisor but I digress.

I agree with JSB about Marguerite lmao the whole sub is gonna be filled with “REEE WHY DID HE JUST DO THAT”

What can I say? 20-year-old impulsive kings don't always make great decisions! Knud is very much the beneficiary of good fortune in that Geoffrey had lost two mentor like figures in a short span and just can't take a third. As for Essa... well she is persistent.

Young Henri is definitely Geoffrey's kid. I dropped the notification in as a screenshot saying she was pregnant with Geoff's child a few chapters back. I don't know if I took a screenshot of the birth, but it definitely is Geoff's.

I find it's fairly easy to keep realm's stable, though if you want to get things done you usually need a fair amount of money to secure votes on the council. Basically, if you chuck your few large vassals on the council, they can't join factions unless you go tyrannical or die. The problem is you can't pack the council with loyalists, and if you get a malcontent or two, it becomes impossible to do anything unless you're bribing voters (if for no other reason than to keep the malcontents from bribing them). Otherwise, you just have to take the tyranny hit, your council members can rebel and it can all go south very quickly.

Suffice to say, guess who runs into this problem soon? ;)

The regent decision is a tricky one. I really thought long and hard about Elf getting the role - as noted above, for practical purposes, the stewardship skill she has makes her the most valuable in the role. (I can fudge everything else - but there's no real way around demesne limit, and Geoffrey's right at the max). But I decided to go with Marguerite for now, though from a gameplay perspective, I didn't expect her to live that long. I could also trust her, seeing as most of her relationship with Geoffrey is permanent (Mother +75) and Elf... well I was concerned Geoff could get a knife in the back with his womanizing.

The Eleanor/Henry situation is tough to compare at this point. I don't think early Henry/Eleanor were that bad early on - she wasn't inciting rebellions against him yet. But also Eleanor was extremely powerful, regardless of what Henry did. She was one of the most powerful landholders in Europe at the time and had already shown the difficulty in controlling her with Louis VII. I'd also add that I believe, early on, Henry relied heavily on his mother, Empress Matilda/Maud.

Eleanor ended up imprisoned later on, after her sons were of age and she was helping to incite rebellion with them. But after Henry's death she did return to prominence, as Richard was reportedly her favorite. He did marry, but his wife did not appear to have much say in things, with Eleanor (and John) having much greater influence over England.

Which is... to kind of say Geoffrey doesn't necessarily have incentive at this point to give Elf any more power than he needs to, if he can't fully trust her. She doesn't hold the influence Eleanor did, so he can afford to slight her.

There's truth in what you say about Berard, and he's already shown that in the past. But I think Berard just felt too slighted to put up with it this time, so he made his stand. But there's more to twists to the Perigord tale for sure.

Yeah, there has been a bit of "why Marguerite?!" It is expected. And I understand.

I don't think citing Henry and Elanor is a good way to argue for Elf getting the regency, considering Elanor led her sons in Rebellion against Henery.

Eleanor did, though much later. They certainly had their issues before, but until the rebellion part, there seemed to be a degree of trust between them. Elf doesn't have any hope of raising rebellion against Geoffrey at this time though - it'd be more worrying about whether she'd plot to kill him.

so bad this is going to end with this generation... I think the next one would be the very interesting one... let's see if the realm can survive Geoff II long reign

There's plenty to go, so don't worry! I think future generations could be quite interesting... but I don't think I can write this forever!

If a player was still controlling it probably. I don't think it's possible for a human player in a position like our author is, in-game, to fuck up on the scale the AI does.
IRL, the Avengion empire struggled to hold itself together because it was a patchwork of entities, not a single unified framework. This led to constant rebellions, often egged on by the King of France. Here France is much to busy fighting itself to sponsor any rebellions, and the Kingdom of Aquitaine provides both an effective superstructure for the King to conduct governance and a way to generate ideological loyalty amongst the lords.
The big problem will be in England. In-game I don't think it will be possible for Geoff 2 to inherit and I am not sure AI Guilhielm would be smart enough to change the succession to prigmonocture. Regardless, England still has it's native nobility and it will be difficult to administer both them and Aquitaine.
IRL the Bretons were also fiercly independent. In-game they've caused the crown a lot of trouble with several, mostly peasant, rebellions. I don't know what percentage of the Breton nobility is still Breton and what percentage is controlled by the Duke or fellow Aquetinians. Still, I would not count out their ability to cause massive trouble in the future.
Apart from that, the Northern French may start to resent the dominance of the Southern French at court, ironic given the original grievance against the House of Capet. Anjou and Normandy should they take it, could also prove to be restive regions.

You'd be surprised how quickly things can go wrong, though I avoided it in this AAR. (I've had games blow up on me where just bad thing after bad thing happens)

The Angevin Empire didn't hold because it never really was a unified thing. Aquitaine, I'd argue, was probably the great split. Henry could have held England, Normandy and Anjou - his ancestors already held England and Normandy after all. But adding Aquitaine proved tricky and it never was loyal to him - always to Eleanor. Perhaps Richard could have unified it all, but Richard was a warrior who was king in name only. And John had his own issues - the biggest of which was that he had to hold all that together, with a crown that was being questioned, with one of the greatest medieval kings in Philip II as a rival.

It is worth noting that *this* France is weaker than CK2 France often is. But it's not much weaker than OTL France at the time - in fact, it might be stronger. In terms of land, Geoffrey holds right now what Henry did, roughly, in France. Instead of Normandy, he holds Toulouse and asserts direct control over Brittany, as opposed having his son hold it. But Alphonse strikes me much more of a Louis VII type, right down to his lack of sons, than Philip Augustus.

England is a trickier situation thanks to the same CK2 dynamics which make Geoffrey's Aquitaine much stronger than it should be. There's no way for Geoffrey to actually assert control over England, even if his wife or son control it. So the AI is prone to dumb decisions - a fear of mine when I was planning on trying to snag England.

The Breton nobility is actually mostly gone, though I believe some of the population is still Breton. (I think Rennes and Vannes have switched, but other areas have not.) Interestingly, that Padric remains the Count of Leon helps in that regard - I believe so long as he is count, there won't be able native revolts in that county.

it is true... the original lands of HOuse d'Anjou are now somehow forgotten... maybe it was Geoff I way to take some kind of revenge against the Iron Duke, and also a nice way to build up a Kingdom in his image,,,,

I do think Geoffrey did aim to minimize his father. Leaving Anjou was a necessary evil. Of course gameplay wise, I originally intended to shift things back to Anjou after Foulques died, but doing that took away the "Become King of Aquitaine" ambition and made it "King of France". I suppose I could have compromised and had Geoffrey move his capital to Poitou after Patricia was removed, but I figured Bordeaux had become his thing. And his ego wouldn't let that go.

So yeah, in the end, he did get his revenge. Angers is a memory - these days one can argue Geoffrey has become the actual heir of the de Poitou line. Which of course, one can argue is the historical analogue to the real life Angevins, who lost their French roots and became English.

Haldora is still in charge of the keep unless she's died and all the characters just forgot to care, which wouldn't be too surprising. Foulques, Beatriz, Allarade, and Anges's heart are all buried in its churches.

The House d'Anjou is starting to get really disassociated from Anjou to the point where it's current heir was given a name that traditionally belonged to the House d'Pouitou.

I've never specified otherwise, so yeah, Haldora remains in "charge" there, though that's just basically Geoffrey not bothering to administer that keep. She is still alive, and I plan to actually give her a mention in the next chapter.

Agnes' death is symbolic of that split in a way. Part of her is buried in Angers, but I'd guess that's the last of the family who that will happen with. Geoffrey's father is in Bordeaux, and Geoffrey himself has little connection to Anjou, even if he remains an Angevin king.

Well that did not take long for Geoffrey to go and start making stupid and ill-advised decisions. If he isn't more careful he can find himself friendless and facing irate lords and in the worse case some type of revolt. He may have lost Berard as a friend and adviser. I suspect it won't be long before he loses Edouard and Alberic.

In fairness to Geoffrey, he's never stopped making ill-advised decisions! :D

Geoffrey's fortunate in that he still has a very strong power base. And his friends are more thick skinned at times than he is. But he is going to have to deal with some irate lords. And that's not gonna make things easy for him.

I don't think he's lost Berard. If nothing else he still needs to maintain the King's favor if he has any hopes of acquiring a tittle, be it by displacing his brother, or by being granted new lands. Even if he no longer views the King as a friend or a good person, he must keep his favor for the sake of his family and ambitions. I wonder how many people in Geoff's orbit truly care for him or just say around for political advancement. Elf is married to him and so can't leave, and needs her son to become King of England. Anna needs to secure a future for her daughter and is now considered damaged goods by most of the nobility, so their's no way out for her but through. Essa is the only woman in his life who could leave him and survive both personally and politically. Frankly, I think Marguerite is the only one I can be 100 percent sure genuinely cares for him as a human being and not as a political star in which she must orbit. Anges, of course, felt that too, but she's dead. Mind you with nobility it is hard to disentangle personal emotion from political calculation, so much of their lives were defined by a mixture of both, to the point where in some cases, like Henery the 7th after Elizabeth of York died, I'm not sure they themselves were able to determine which was which.

Berard and Geoffrey's relationship will have it's ups and downs. You termed it as a bromance earlier and I think that fits. This felt very much like a lover's quarrel. Geoffrey's not wrong to think Berard's jealous that Geoffrey values someone else over him. But Berard's not wrong to think Geoffrey's thinking is clouded on the issue.

I think the question of caring/political advancement is a tricky one. I think it's both possible to want the best for someone and think you could be of greater use to them if they handed you more authority. I think most of the characters here fit that on some scale. Edouard, Alberic, Berard, Ana all grew up with Geoffrey. They spent their childhoods together. There's a bond there. But they also want more say in things, and get angry when they don't get listen to/get replaced.

I even think Essa's not necessarily just in it for power. The woman has been in a loveless marriage for over a decade, and probably has felt isolated for much of her life. Now she has a younger lover who thinks the world of her, and provides passion where there was none before. She's in a relationship now where her partner doesn't resent her. We don't see things from her perspective, but I'd dare say she's probably the happiest she's ever been in her life - and if power and privilege also come along with that, she's not gonna complain. ;)

Does Essa love Geoffrey? I don't know. Does Essa love being with Geoffrey? I think that answer is a clear "yes."

Knud is really becoming an issue for you, huh. This is actually one of those odd situations where it would be considered tyrannical to punish him, right? Little while since I've played the game, but I have recollections of being frustrated with not being able to punish murderers unless they directly transgress against you.

Frustrating times for Geoffrey. He's either losing or pushing away many of his best influences. Agnes, Berard, Edouard. He is still rationalising doing or trying to do things that are obviously stupid as well. I guess he's lucky that Essa is smart enough to not go with him.

I guess Berard really isn't dying after all, but it sure seems like someone will...

Yeah, I really didn't want to dump a great commander, but he wanted to test my patience. I forget if I could have still imprisoned him, because of the plot against Geoffrey's cousin I might have. But I could have told him to leave court too. I didn't... and storyline wise, there are reasons why he's not going anywhere yet.

Geoffrey's quite lucky for a few reasons. Essa is smarter than he is - or at least more grounded in reality. And he does have good people who care for him - they're not going to abandon him easily. No matter how much he kind of deserves it.

As for your last point... ;)

Looks like Knud is embracing Alias' problem solving method, though he should probably stop killing Aquitain councillors. If he ever returns to court, then the council will probably be wearing full armour as much as possible :p.

It was previsible enough that Geoffrey would appoint Essa as new advisor. And she's able to control him enough that he doesn't give in to the same impulsivity that makes him ignore Édouard's and the Périgord's advice. If it continues like that, he will have to ask himself if he's still king or only a puppet.

Marguerite as regent - I foresee more domestic drama. And a true test of Édouard's loyalty and willpower. It would be all too easy for him to slowly pick up an uncaring attitude as Geoffrey clearly doesn't seem like he needs him for more than ignored advice. Then again, he did follow the Douard advice, but that may just be because he's got little alternative. Ana would be an excellent choice, but she's not eligible for the position and it would upset the court even more...

Perhaps with age, wisdom will come. But right now, Geoffrey prefers giving in to temptation rather than listening to his friends. In any case, he needs the war to take the next step. Especially should he this time not find a woman to (try) to celebrate his victory with, it may be a good time for some introspection.

It's true - the lords of Aquitaine clearly need a murdering friend/mentor who skates above the rules. Alias at least kept most of his overt murder attempts to before I got control of the situation (though I'm fairly certain he had some murder plot sitting around in the background while Geoff I ruled. I just never bothered to have him end it, cause it was against some random Perigord and not someone I cared about).

I think the process Geoffrey has used to choose Essa is a bad one. But... Essa's no slouch when it comes to any of this. She wouldn't have gotten where she was otherwise. I think you'll see her influence over Geoffrey isn't necessarily bad. But her presence is the destabilizing factor in a lot of things.

Marguerite always has drama follow her. Some of it is poor luck, but much of it is her own doing. And yes, there will be drama again. But it may not be in the way you expect.

Ana as spymaster... I could never do that to Elf! I want her to live! :p (Also, I can't imagine the mess if Knud and Ana tried to kill one another)

As you say, age could make Geoffrey a bit wiser. At 20, his father was just starting out. Geoffrey's already been king for four years. He's very much learning on the job.

But tragic experiences can bring out the worst in people as they reach for comfort. That's all I'll say about his next set of choices.

I got Foulques I and Aines vibes from Geoffrey and Essa; the difference is that the latter is wiser and the former did not kill a man for his wife.

Considering his spat with his uncle and the duel implications, grandson may not be too far off from grandfather. Agnes' observation was right on the nail about Geoff II.

He represents a lot of both families, and it's come together in a destructive mix. At this point, I'd wager few people care for him, but those of important personage carry great benefits to those that follow them.

Berard hasn't given up on him, but you get the feel that he is distancing himself from the mess that is brewing. His wife is a convenient excuse, but since his introduction he has always struck me as a caring individual.

Unsurprising that he is one of the few nobles with a great relationship with his wife...at least from the exterior as we can see.

Knud. Knud, Knud, Knud. What is one to do with that Dane? Some punishment could be meted out without incurring major whiplash, but it requires greater diplomacy than Geoff II has at this point in his life.

As far as Marguerite goes...not a surprising choice. Controversial but controlled, though his wife as regent would go a long way to mending a relationship.

And of that, Geoff II and Ana. He seems a tad bitter when he mentioned that to Berard, but I'll chalk that up to Berard's refusal and how awry his life is going.

Suffering does build character. Not necessarily good all the time though.

I very much agree. :) There are a lot of the same notes in this situation to Foulques and Aines. A passionate, lustful relationship that takes place against better judgments with questions being made to the woman over a lust for power. And in both cases, I'd say the situation is complicated. I'd also say Aines and Essa both possess considerable skill, and are viewed as a threat by those who wish to continue on or grow their own roles.

Berard has grown a bit since his introduction. I wrote him very much as a character who worshiped Geoffrey in the early chapters but he's grown, especially in the second act. He's getting older too, and marriage and fatherhood has changed him. It's part of the reason why he can speak to Geoffrey as he does in this chapter - it comes from a place of sincerity. And that's part of the reason Geoffrey's upset - because he knows much of what was said, was true.

But just as Geoffrey can't bear to cut Knud from his life after the loss of Agnes and Jorge, there's no way he can cut Berard, or Edouard from his life either. Nor can he drop Essa - the young king is rather needy at the moment. So naturally, when everyone refuses his call, he's pretty annoyed.

The Dane's place will get mentioned again in a few chapters. As I've said, it seems fortune is on his side.

Agreed - Marguerite as regent makes plenty of sense. Elf would have probably done a lot for him with her, as you said, but Geoffrey's not going down that road yet.

I think Geoffrey probably realizes torching his marriage for Ana wasn't worth it. And Berard reminding him of that, and being able to admit he was wrong, just annoyed Geoffrey further. It's not that he doesn't care for Ana... it's that everything else that has happened has made him realize what a mess his situation has become.

More suffering on the way. But what type of character will be built?

It's interesting that Beard chooses to sympathize with the Queen instead of his sister, who he could say should have married Geoff after they slept together for the first time. I know the Periograds aren't a close family but still. Geoff 2 has the worse of all his relatives, but also the best. He has Foulques's martial vigor and the instinctive kindness both Geoff 1 and Marguerite had before the world curdled their hearts.

It's an interesting thing that Geoff's relationship with Anna deteriorates as soon as he ruins his relationship with his wife to be with her. Maybe a case of her no longer being forbidden fruit, or maybe he is subconsciously projecting his own guilt onto her, though as Elf points out she too shares in that guilt. It is yet another echo of Foulques and Allerade, the high watermark for her being right after Bella's birth when Beatriz died and everyone figured she'd marry Foulques. If Geoff 2 sets Anna aside I hope he handles it better than Foulques did. That will not be a hard bar to clear.

I think Berard has grown - and realized the arrangement was lousy for everyone. Keep in mind his sister is probably aware of Essa, and just has to stomach it. And I even think he's developing some sympathy toward Elf. Basically, Berard sees the situation, sees the harm it's done to everyone, and realizes "this was a mistake." He'll admit to it, even if he couches it through his wife, but he knows the decision hurt everyone.

The forbidden fruit aspect probably has some truth to it. But I also think Essa plays a role too - I think she is everything Geoffrey wants in a woman. She's well-spoken, respectful (at least in words), attractive, witty and he clearly likes women with some fire/independence. She's also *somewhat* maternal, at least in that she's had four children now. That's another aspect where both Foulques/Alearde and Foulques/Aines echo - bypassing the emotional connection for a more physical lust - and a more powerful woman, higher-born one at that.

But Ana isn't Alearde. And Essa has more enemies than Aines did. So her situation might just turn out a bit different.

Wow. Finally caught up here again and things have definitely been happening here! Sadly Ælflæd has been a bit anonymous since her trip to England, but the Duchess of Toulouse has stepped up to try and fill the Elf-shaped hole in my heart. Especially with amazing Agnes's exit. Perhaps in time Essa might even fill the gigantic shoes she's left behind. More than anything in this tale, Agnes' passing truly feels like the end of an era and the send-off you gave her was perfect. I was instantly reminded of the bickering ancestor ghosts in The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, which can only be a good thing! :D

Glad you're back! I know it can be difficult to catch up when one falls behind given these chapters are looooooong.

Don't worry about Elf - she becomes a rather important figure over the next few in-game years! We'll get a chapter from her perspective soon - I think it will be the third chapter out from where we are. (The next two are Geoffrey, and then Elf)

Also Geoffrey would approve of that metaphor for Essa! It will be somewhat hard to juggle all of these characters, giving them proper time to shine, but I shall do my best!

I agree, Agnes passing really was the end of an era. If not the last link back to the early days of this story, then one of the last ones. I'm glad you liked her send-off - it was lots of fun to write!

I think Elf will step back into prominence. With Anges dead someone's going to have to be the new secondary POV, though we may have Marguerite chapters covering the regency and her death.

As noted above, we're not far off from an Elf POV chapter. It will be an important one too, for it will set up/further a lot of the relationships/arcs we're going to be dealing with over the next decade of gameplay.

To all - thanks as always for your top notch comments and feedback. And I would also like to thank all of you who voted to make Before Plantagenet the top Narrative AAR on these forums for 2019!

It's always an honor to be recognized, but it's even nicer to have fans who take the time out to make their voices heard - whether that be here in the comments with your feedback/analysis, or voting in award threads. It is much appreciated, and I am grateful for the time you all take to read and reply. Between the length of the chapters and the length of your comments, some of you are dropping substantial portions of your days to this. So thank you! It means a great deal to me!

The next chapter is planned for Tuesday. As I've mentioned, I'm really excited for these next sections. The events spice things up, and I get to use some bit characters I haven't gotten to play around with in a while. Of course, the downside is that some characters also make their exits as well. And I wasn't happy about that, but that's CK2 for you!

Again, to all, thanks for your continued support, whether it is through reading, commenting, voting, or all of the above! You all are the best!

Reactions:
I guess I'm guilty of not seeing things from Essa's pov, ironic since I often argue for seeing things from Marguerite's POV, and she's probably the only female character more hated than Essa. Essa is what happened if Foulques and Philip turned their romance into a bromance.

France dosn't have Toulouse in this story but it does have Normandy, though Paris is outside the royal demesne, and in the hands of Hughes's descendants, who given how these things go are at the very best a nuisance, if not outright plotting their return to the throne. And Alphonse I think deserves some credit for getting himself back on the throne, and he might get Flanders back as well. That makes him much more competent than Louis, though like Louis he seems to have been unable to keep control of his wife.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Geoffrey seems to excel in creating needlessly complicated situations, then making them even more so. And alienating many of those closest to him in the process. Not sure whether it will end well or not, but Essa (Agnes now the original is gone?) at least showed some judgement in advising against the Brittany trip - even if Geoff was unwilling to heed it. He needs to learn that overriding councillors to prove his assertiveness is best done when he is right, rather than when ignoring good advice to prove a dubious point.

Also, he needs more loyalists on his council - can see why that would have been a powerful argument for putting her on it as well.

Reactions:
While Geoffrey is clearly thinking with the wrong head in making Essa his advisor, at the same time it's a pretty defensible move to make considering her strength in the realm. Not that it will make the insult any less for the people who suspect (or know) what is going on.

I guess in retrospect Knud being the culprit was pretty obvious; when the new spymaster turns up dead everyone should immediately know who to start looking at, if nothing else. Unless Knud actually starts succeeding at killing off the Capetians, which would be kind of morbidly funny.

I hope Marguerite can do well at being the regent. Although she's done some really terrible things in the story, she's also suffered a lot, and she certainly wants the best for her children (well maybe not Aines anymore, but the others at least).

Reactions:
Very interesting, while on one hand appointing Essa as advisor may make some angry, it does ensure her loyalty and adds a voter who will probably vote with Geoffrey for every action. Hopefully this doesn't alienate Berard too much though, and perhaps Geoffrey may listen to those around him eventually. Amazing chapter as always!

Reactions:
are you planning something like giving the Anjou Duchy to William, so he has a power base where he can plan on taking England? (I said William, because I see him becoming this timeline English he)

• 1Like
Reactions:
why take Normandy from France? a weaker France means it can be taken by the Germans... and you do not want the Germans at your doorstep

• 1Like
Reactions:
why take Normandy from France? a weaker France means it can be taken by the Germans... and you do not want the Germans at your doorstep

Out of game, because the Avignon Empire included Normandy and our author wants to recreate it.

In-game two reasons. One, it is another territory that can be claimed by Guilhilem through his mother, as England held Normandy. Aquitaine has been expanding ravenously and Geoffery has yet to find a reason to stop it, he isn't wise enough to appreciate the importance of buffer states. It will take either the monarch getting older and wiser, a really big war like a crusade or an attempt to take England, or a disastrous defeat to put Aquitaine off expansion mode.

Every ruler in this AAR has expanded aggressively at the beginning of their reign and then consolidated. Foulques usurped his brother and took some Breton territory. Geoffery conquered numerous duchies, split France, conquered Gascony, founded the Kingdom, and then took Toulouse.

Geoffery 2 is merely following the precedent set by his father and Grandfather. Besides war is increasingly becoming an escape from his messy personal life.

Reactions:
Out of game, because the Avignon Empire included Normandy and our author wants to recreate it.

In-game two reasons. One, it is another territory that can be claimed by Guilhilem through his mother, as England held Normandy. Aquitaine has been expanding ravenously and Geoffery has yet to find a reason to stop it, he isn't wise enough to appreciate the importance of buffer states. It will take either the monarch getting older and wiser, a really big war like a crusade or an attempt to take England, or a disastrous defeat to put Aquitaine off expansion mode.

Every ruler in this AAR has expanded aggressively at the beginning of their reign and then consolidated. Foulques usurped his brother and took some Breton territory. Geoffery conquered numerous duchies, split France, conquered Gascony, founded the Kingdom, and then took Toulouse.

Geoffery 2 is merely following the precedent set by his father and Grandfather. Besides war is increasingly becoming an escape from his messy personal life.

Normandy was held by England only due to the Normans... the Anglo-Saxon usurper of William's heir, had nothing to do with Normandy and the Franks regained the Duchy in a war... if Guilhelm becomes King of England then he might have a claim, but not otherwise

When this AAR is over, if Jabberjock allows and shares it... I'd like to go a path where the Angevin Empire reconquests Hispania....

• 1Like
Reactions:
You can share saves? In which case I'd like to see what happens if Foulques marries Allerade.

As for Normandy, it was under the rule of the King of England for a bit therefore you can say an English descended prince has the right to rule it. Of course, that's a very weak claim, which is where the knights come in.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I guess I'm guilty of not seeing things from Essa's pov, ironic since I often argue for seeing things from Marguerite's POV, and she's probably the only female character more hated than Essa. Essa is what happened if Foulques and Philip turned their romance into a bromance.

France dosn't have Toulouse in this story but it does have Normandy, though Paris is outside the royal demesne, and in the hands of Hughes's descendants, who given how these things go are at the very best a nuisance, if not outright plotting their return to the throne. And Alphonse I think deserves some credit for getting himself back on the throne, and he might get Flanders back as well. That makes him much more competent than Louis, though like Louis he seems to have been unable to keep control of his wife.

I wouldn't say it's anyone's fault - it's something that happens with limited POV narratives. We don't see things from Essa's POV, it's exclusively Geoffrey and other characters who have reasons not to like her. In Song of Fire of Ice, I'll always remember how much I hated Jamie Lannister until we got chapters from his perspective. Then I hated that I didn't hate him so much anymore. Unfortunately for Essa, we aren't getting any chapters from her perspective.

Alphonse certainly isn't a bad ruler. And if I wasn't around, he might have been in a good position to get France back on its feet. My expertise on Louis VII isn't great - but I thought as an early pre-Philip II Capetian, he was pretty good. He certainly had some humiliation - namely Eleanor - and was not Henry II's equal but he was better than his predecessors at extending royal power. Of course he, like those who came before and many after, pale in comparison to his son. But I could be wrong - like I said, I'm less versed on Louis.

Geoffrey seems to excel in creating needlessly complicated situations, then making them even more so. And alienating many of those closest to him in the process. Not sure whether it will end well or not, but Essa (Agnes now the original is gone?) at least showed some judgement in advising against the Brittany trip - even if Geoff was unwilling to heed it. He needs to learn that overriding councillors to prove his assertiveness is best done when he is right, rather than when ignoring good advice to prove a dubious point.

Also, he needs more loyalists on his council - can see why that would have been a powerful argument for putting her on it as well.

He's got all his father's skill at getting himself into trouble and his father's lack of BS ability to at least mitigate it some. Or maybe he can't help himself - he was close to convincing Edouard till he kept talking...

Essa's advice was good - she knows what she's talking about. Most of them do - I think Geoffrey's councilors are all pretty excellent. (Emmanuel's kind of the weak link, but he has value too). And yes, he should listen. It's a balance he's still learning.

Haha, and Essa will remain Essa to keep it simple.

While Geoffrey is clearly thinking with the wrong head in making Essa his advisor, at the same time it's a pretty defensible move to make considering her strength in the realm. Not that it will make the insult any less for the people who suspect (or know) what is going on.

I guess in retrospect Knud being the culprit was pretty obvious; when the new spymaster turns up dead everyone should immediately know who to start looking at, if nothing else. Unless Knud actually starts succeeding at killing off the Capetians, which would be kind of morbidly funny.

I hope Marguerite can do well at being the regent. Although she's done some really terrible things in the story, she's also suffered a lot, and she certainly wants the best for her children (well maybe not Aines anymore, but the others at least).

Agreed. It's convincing enough that Edouard was set to accept it, until Geoffrey clearly made it obvious he's doing it for other reasons.

Marguerite's gonna Marguerite. That can be good or bad - I'd say it worked out well for Geoffrey when she did her deal with Agnes. But less well for everyone when she tried to get back at Elf.

It's true - Knud's developing a reputation. And if he started killing off Capetians it wouldn't actually be a bad thing for Geoffrey. Especially if he got Alphonse. Regencies are especially dangerous now a days - as I learned much later.

Very interesting, while on one hand appointing Essa as advisor may make some angry, it does ensure her loyalty and adds a voter who will probably vote with Geoffrey for every action. Hopefully this doesn't alienate Berard too much though, and perhaps Geoffrey may listen to those around him eventually. Amazing chapter as always!

Essa's sooo much more powerful than any other vassal in the realm, it's kind of funny. I don't even know how that happened - she was pretty weak for a while. And then in about two years, her levy skyrocketed. I mean she took two counties, but that alone shouldn't have done it, I didn't think. So from a practical standpoint, putting on the council and knocking her out of factions was important.

On the other hand, as Geoff's lover, her relationship score will keep her out of factions anyway, so...

Berard and Geoffrey will, like most friends, have their moments. Expect another moment in a few chapters.

Thanks!

are you planning something like giving the Anjou Duchy to William, so he has a power base where he can plan on taking England? (I said William, because I see him becoming this timeline English he)

I do plan on giving a duchy to Guilhem/William. I didn't want to shrink the royal demense though, so I really just wanted to expand the lands Geoffrey already owned. I also wanted to give something to Prince Alias to ensure his loyalty so... we've got to do some attacking in the future!

It would make more sense to give him Normandy after it is inevitably taken from Alphonse.

;)

The Germans were a bit all over the place in this game. They started strong, and messed with Philippe I quite a bit. But they were somewhat weakened by the Independence revolt that freed Saxony and Provence (along with a few other things). And that has left them quite unstable. At the moment they're slightly stronger than Geoffrey, but not so much I couldn't just hire mercs to to even the numbers. And if I were to expand into France further, I would probably outclass them.

Yes, out of game I wanted to recreate the Angevin Empire (and then some at this point, cause I have Toulouse, which Henry failed to secure). But also at this point, there was a tactical sense of weakening France, in that in theory, a Capetian would always look to bring Aquitaine back under it's heel (as the Merovingians and Karlings both did) so it makes sense for any ruler of Aquitaine to neutralize those pesky Franks.

Normandy was held by England only due to the Normans... the Anglo-Saxon usurper of William's heir, had nothing to do with Normandy and the Franks regained the Duchy in a war... if Guilhelm becomes King of England then he might have a claim, but not otherwise

When this AAR is over, if Jabberjock allows and shares it... I'd like to go a path where the Angevin Empire reconquests Hispania....

You're right that it's a flimsy pre-text, but it is the exact pre-text Geoffrey I used when he told Adhemar to start fishing for a claim there. Basically, that he would "offer" to return it to Elf as a wedding present (and I imagine, had he secured the claim and taken it while he still lived, named Geoffrey II Duke of Normandy)

I'll see about different saves after the AAR ends.

You can share saves? In which case I'd like to see what happens if Foulques marries Allerade.

As for Normandy, it was under the rule of the King of England for a bit therefore you can say an English descended prince has the right to rule it. Of course, that's a very weak claim, which is where the knights come in.

In theory there's no reason you can't. I've swapped saves across computers (and frequently do since I do my posting on my laptop but did the gameplay on my desktop.) It would just be uploading the files somewhere.

The other thing with old saves is that the games have updated versions so there's no guarantee they work correctly. I definitely rolled back the last update because it threatened to break any old save. So you could play from the end of Geoffrey's life for sure. But Foulques and Alearde? That one might be more unstable (assuming I still have that save).

Yeah, as noted above, it's a weak claim. In fact even the Norman sisters Adelise and Aevis lack the claim, which is kind of crazy since their grandfather was the Duke of Normandy. But yeah, flimsy pre-text or not, if Geoffrey's got the knights to back up his claim. Plus he might also get something else in his corner down the road....

Yeah wait what? You can share saves????

In theory. All I'd have to do is grab the save file from my folder, upload it to a file hosting service and then anyone could download it and drop it into their save folder. They would then be able to play my Angevins. I think that's basically how succession games work?

To all, the next chapter follows. It's a battle, but I actually did not have a screenshot of the fight itself for some reason, just the results. Perhaps because I was shocked at what happened. I'll more to say in the replies, but for now, just enjoy the chapter!

Reactions:
Chapter 240 - June 1131
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 240
June 1131 - Huelgoat, Brittany

“Was it worth it?”

Geoffrey did not speak those words, but he thought them. He had been standing in silence, on a hill overlooking what had been a battlefield hours before.

The king was still dressed in his armor, his surcoat still covered in the mud, dirt and blood it had accumulated in the fight. Only his helmet was off, as his shaggy brown hair blew gently in the breeze.

He was not alone, as knights and his cousins stood nearby. Yet it felt like he was. He felt empty, distant… trapped in his own world of sorrow and pity.

It was a stupid feeling, he realized. After all, he still lived. That was more than he could say as he looked out over the battlefield, bathed in the red light of the setting sun. The dead could hold no regrets, and there were plenty dead strewn out over the grass below.

Geoffrey shook his head.

“Was it worth it?”

This time he had spoken, though it was met with silence from those gathered. He glanced back at Herve, who was slumped against a tree. The king wasn’t expecting a response to the question. But it didn’t matter. He knew the answer already.

“No,” Geoffrey said softly. “It wasn’t.”

….

The day had begun in this same place, with Geoffrey standing beside the same tree, his boots sinking into the mud from the rains from the past few days. The early morning sun was at his back as the king looked over his planned place of battle with his group of commanders, and a few others.

Herve and Foulquesson were present, along with Alberic and Mayor Frederic, though Knud remained away in his de-facto exile. Ancel was by Geoffrey’s side, as was Rogier and Centolh d’Uzes, Geoffrey’s first cousins born from his late aunt Ness. Prince Alias was also present, despite the fact he would not be permitted to take part in the battle.

They were not too far from the town of Huelgoat, which had been raided the previous year by the forces of Padric and had now dealt with the men of Penthievre as well.

But as Geoffrey looked out into the distance and saw the enemy camped to the north, he felt confident he could win a victory today that would spare Huelgoat for years to come.

His numerical advantage was overwhelming - Geoffrey had some 8,000 men - despite not even calling up half the number available to him. He had not called all of his vassals - just the forces of Essa, Guilhem Adhemar, Foulquesson, Herve and Alberic - essentially just bringing with him the levy of his family and council members. He also did not call up his full levy of personal forces, electing just to take his knights and the rabble from north of the Loire - Angers, Vendome, Perche and Tours.

He figured not using everyone would endear him to the many he left alone, whether it be lords or the lower born under him, in the process show the strength of his army, that it could win despite not even being a half-strength.

And with the Breton force around 1,500, Geoffrey was convinced he was right.

They had been tricked into this as Geoffrey had stolen a march on them by letting slip a “plan” to head straight to Monkontour and take the young lord Breselcoucant’s keep right away.

This Breton force thought they could take Huelgoat in the meantime, but Geoffrey brought his forces up upon them, making even retreating a risky proposition.

And with the flat ground before them, Geoffrey was confident he could completely destroy the Bretons today, and all but win his war in one swoop.

“Ideally, we’ll engage them by that small stream,” Geoffrey said as he pointed out. “The rabble can move forth and seek to overwhelm them. If they can’t… it is no bother. While they are occupied, I want our knights to move to the flank and rear. We’ll collapse upon them from the flanks and as they break, from the rear.”

“What if they deploy in groups to prevent us from flanking?” Herve asked.

“Their numbers are tiny,” Geoffrey said. “And there are no good choke points. If they weaken their center, we will overwhelm them even faster.”

“It’s possible they may intend to send their rabble forth to give their strongest units cover to withdraw,” Frederic added. “So we may wish to be quick if we intend to get into their rear.”

“Agreed,” Geoffrey said. He looked to Foulquesson. “Uncle - I give to you some scout cavalry and sergeants. Use them to rope the Bretons in before our knights have found a way to their rear.”

“If I see an opportunity to hit them?” Foulquesson asked.

“Hit and get out,” Geoffrey said. “I don’t need to tell you that those men are not built for a long fight.”

Foulquesson’s face remained obscured by his mask for the most part, but his thin lips still formed a smirk. Even with Geoffrey’s confidence, it was unsettling, almost ghoulish.

He had better not just throw these men to the enemy, Geoffrey thought.

But then Foulquesson was given this task because he felt at ease with aggression. Geoffrey had a greater faith in Herve to carry out orders, but a more deliberate push along the flank was more his style.

Given that they were his men, and he had fewer knights than against Padric, Geoffrey probably would have opted for caution against a stronger foe. But these Bretons were gnats to be swatted, and Foulquesson seemed the man for the job.

“When do we advance?” Alberic asked.

“Mid-day,” Geoffrey said. “The ground will hopefully have dried out by then. We’ll see if they advance, but if not, Foulquesson, you have leave to take the scouts and sergeants to spur them into action. Don’t charge them - not until our other men are engaged.”

“Understood,” Foulquesson said, the smirk remaining on his face.

“My king,” Herve began, “if I might make a request.”

“You may,” Geoffrey said.

“I know your cousins, my nephews, the d’Uzes boys are no longer under my tutelage,” Herve said. “But I would still greatly enjoy having them by my side for this battle.”

It was a request that did not surprise Geoffrey. Herve had spoken with pride at the growth of Rogier as a warrior - he claimed the young man would be Aquitaine’s “next great knight.”

1131-Rogier-d-Uzes.jpg

Of Centolh, Herve was less complimentary, though always respectful, noting the young man was “more likely to talk his way out of a fight than win it.” But Herve was also quick to add the same could have once been said about Geoffrey’s father - and he proved himself capable enough on the battlefield.

Geoffrey had high hopes for both. While he was not as close with them as he was with their half-brother Edouard these days, they had still grow up alongside of him. And he hoped to find places for them in his court when the time came.

Getting themselves more battlefield experience under his most reliable commander couldn’t hurt.

1131-Centolh.jpg

“I see no problem with that,” Geoffrey said. “Do you want Ancel as well? Getting an up close and personal view of your soon-to-be son by law?”

Ancel blushed at that mention. He had been promised to Herve’s second daughter, and Geoffrey’s first cousin, Plaisance de Semur. The wedding was still a few years off, as Plaisance was still over three years away from being of age, but they had undergone a betrothal ceremony in Charolais a few months back.

1131-Plaisance-de-Semur.jpg

“Nonsense,” Foulquesson spoke up. “This may be the boy’s last battle with his king. He should be by his side.”

Herve smiled. “There you have it. A father’s word outweighs that of a future father by law.”

Geoffrey smirked at that. He suspected Foulquesson preferred Ancel ride with a more aggressive commander. But that was neither here nor there - he didn’t mind having Ancel around.

The king then looked at the mayor of Saumur. “Frederic, you shall accompany my uncle and oversee the flank as he proceeds to the enemy rear. Alberic, you shall command the reserve. Ancel, as has been agreed, you’re with me..”

“And what of me brother?” Alias asked.

“You will watch from the camp,” Geoffrey said. “I brought you so you may get a feel of a campaign. Nothing more - I don’t even want to think of what would happen if you were unlucky in battle.”

Alias sighed but nodded. Geoffrey doubted his brother actually thought he’d be allowed into a fight. Still, he was clearly disappointed.

Geoffrey then looked at all those gathered and pointed out toward the Bretons in the distance. “The enemy is there. They are weak, and ripe for the taking. We have done well to trick them and trap them. Let us finish this, and the spoils of Brittany shall be our just reward.”

……

In retrospect, news of death was never a good omen.

It was nearing mid-day when Alberic entered Geoffrey’s command tent, where he sat with Ancel and Prince Alias. The king was growing a bit frustrated - the sun had not been as hot as he’d hoped, and the ground was taking its sweet time drying out. That meant his knights would move slower, and any quick movement needed to completely destroy the enemy would be less effective.

I want to end this war today, Geoffrey thought. And I will not give battle until the conditions are right.

He looked at Alberic, hoping for good news.

“Tell me the ground is better,” he said to the Count of Perigord.

“Slowly but surely it improves,” Alberic said. “But that’s not why I have come. News from Bordeaux.”

Geoffrey eyed him. “Good news, or bad news?”

“Well it is unfortunate, and something you should know of,” Alberic said. “Even if I doubt you’ll care too much. Your uncle Charles’ mother, Etiennette, has passed.”

1131-Queen-of-Hungary-murdered.jpg

1131-Queen-Charlotte-of-Hungary.jpg

Geoffrey’s brow rose. Etiennette Karling was one of the last of the dying great house of Charlamagne. Her blood carried on in the veins of royals - albeit far off in Hungary, where her child granddaughter ruled as queen after the murder of Charles’ wife.

But Geoffrey knew her as his aunt Agnes’ oldest and perhaps closest friend.

“It is… fitting that she joins my aunt so quickly,” Geoffrey said. “Never far apart in life… why would it be any different in death?”

Alberic shrugged at that, before continuing. “Edouard said he has sent word to your uncle Charles in Hungary. Some small gifts as condolences as well. Though he is uncertain of what to do with the body.”

“It’s a little late now for that,” Geoffrey said. “Even if he did much to preserve it.”

“I think he means he was still debating it,” Alberic said. “He did not ask for guidance.”

Geoffrey nodded and poured himself a cup of wine. He was silent as he did so, contemplating it all.

1131-Etiennette-dies.jpg

No Etiennette wasn’t anyone of importance to him - though she did serve among his wife’s ladies. But she was someone else who had ties to the world that came before him - the world of the Iron Duke Foulques. Grandfather’s world. Grandfather’s lover. A mother to grandfather’s children.

A memory of Agnes’ face flashed in his mind. And Geoffrey felt a strong pang of loss.

Shaking his head before taking a drink he looked at Alberic once more. “Have some gold given to Prince-Bishop Emmanuel for Etiennette’s absolution.”

Alberic’s brow rose. “Truly?”

“Yes,” Geoffrey said. “She was my aunt’s closest friend. A good servant to my wife… and fine servant to both Aquitaine and Anjou. But she bore three children out of wedlock - certainly a sin, even if two were to my grandfather. If I have the means to alleviate the torment of a woman who did right by my family, then how can I refuse?”

Alberic nodded. “Good man. I will send word back to Bordeaux right away.”

“That’s kind of you,” Ancel said after Alberic had left.

“I speak the truth,” Geoffrey said. “The woman may not have meant much to me, but she did to others who I admire. And that surely speaks to something about her - peace in the hereafter is the least of what someone like that deserves.”

“My father might not like that,” Ancel said. “I know grandmother Haldora never cared for her. Which, given she was grandfather’s lover while he was married to my grandmother...”

1131-Haldora.jpg

“Ancel,” Geoffrey began. Then he looked to his brother. “Alias, you too. If there is one thing I have learned over my first half-decade as king, it is that it is unwise to fight other people’s battles - especially when there is nothing for you to gain.”

“It’s still an insult to those who came before, is it not?” Ancel asked. “Is my grandmother wrong to be upset over it?”

“She can be livid,” Geoffrey said. “But her, not you. You don’t know anything of it - you weren’t even born when grandfather sired those children with Etiennette. Those who came before us fought their wars - it is not for us to continue them.”

“Easy for you to say,” Ancel said. “It was not your grandmother who was betrayed.”

Geoffrey smirked. “Have you forgotten who my parents are? They do nothing but fight old wars. My mother to Aunt Agnes, because of my grandfather Adhemar’s murder. My father to his father. My parents to each other. Everything with them was a battle - a grievance against someone. If I wasted my time with their problems, I wouldn’t have time to focus on my own.”

Ancel nodded. “Fair.”

“Ancel, answer me this,” Geoffrey continued, “did you ever feel anything toward Etiennette when you saw her? Anything? Anger, frustration, sadness?”

“No,” Ancel admitted. “She was just an old woman, who served the queen.”

“Exactly,” Geoffrey said. “So why waste time fretting about it now? Because your father will? If he wants to war with the past, he can do so on his own. There are plenty of fights out there for us. Best to focus on those.”

Ancel sat in silence for a bit. Eventually however, the teen nodded and then raised his cup. Alias shrugged and then did the same, before Geoffrey joined them.

“To our future,” Geoffrey said. “And ours, alone.”

….

The mid-day finally got hot, and the dry conditions Geoffrey wanted arrived in the midafternoon. It wasn’t going to be a comfortable day in the saddle - the sun meant they were all baking in their leather armor with mail adding even more heat.

But if it gets me total victory today, it will be well worth it, Geoffrey thought. And had to repeat to himself over and over again, as he felt the sweat drip down his face in streams.

It started well enough, with Foulquesson’s efforts to nip at the Breton flanks and force them into action working. And Geoffrey sent his rabble forward.

Their performance against Padric had been poor, but that was fighting uphill against an enemy with closer numbers in a good defensive position. This was a five-to-one advantage, in open plains, with nothing but small streams to slow them down. The king expected a slaughter - so much so that it almost seemed unworthy of him.

But he knew this would likely be the only battle of the campaign, and it also felt like a waste to not engage in an open battle when the opportunity presented itself. Especially when he’d be left with little to do but wait when they moved to siege Penthievre.

So if he was to battle, Geoffrey decided he’d make it a charge truly worth making. He was going to add weight to Mayor Frederic’s attack on the left and drive them toward Foulquesson’s men in the rear, while Herve did the same on the right.

Geoffrey took to a different hill from the morning - one much closer to the action, to watch the battle unfold. From there he could see his men performing as he expected, pushing back the Breton center.

The suspicion the Bretons might fan out to prevent against flanking attacks had proven true, but Geoffrey was also convinced the attacks on both sides from his knights would be enough to break any resistance with ease.

The horn sounded, signaling the first charge on the flank, from Mayor Frederic. Moments later another horn went off - Herve’s charge on the right - which meant it was time for Geoffrey to move his own men into position to deliver the next hammerblow.

However, he noticed out of the corner of his eye, a group of knights charging out of a small enclave of trees on the right flank. At first, Geoffrey wondered if Herve had decided to delay deploying his whole force - something a cautious commander might do - but he saw the banners were Breton, not Aquitaine.

“A Breton ambush on the right?” Geoffrey asked.

“We were unaware of any forces,” Ancel said. “So perhaps it’s just more of Herve’s men…”

“No - see the banners,” Geoffrey said as he pointed.

The king eyed the fight, gripping the reins of his horse tighter. He doubted the Bretons could have hidden a force large enough to change the course of the battle. But then again…

“Should we dispatch Alberic to shore up that fight?” Ancel asked.

Geoffrey shook his head. “Herve can handle it. He’s seen ambushes before - he won’t lose his head.”

Ancel nodded and they continued to watch the fight unfold.

The Angevin knights did appear to buckle under the weight of the Breton charge. Geoffrey’s initial eyeballing of the numbers may have done his enemy a disservice - while being outnumbered on the field, they might well have had more knights in that fight than Herve did.

“Damn it,” Geoffrey grumbled as he realized his plans to completely destroy the Breton force were on the verge of falling apart.

I should have called up all my soldiers, he thought. I have a large advantage in men, but not in knights! If we lose that fight - if I have to send Alberic to aid them, we won’t win a decisive victory today.

Then the Breton push seemed to slow to a standstill. Moments later another charge of a small group of Angevin knights pushed them back, and the Breton knights began to retreat.

Herve was cautious, Geoffrey thought. Thank God.

The king breathed a sigh of relief and crossed himself. But he then turned back to Ancel and the others to say: “You see? Herve had it under control.”

A small grin came to his face with his confidence restored - as if there was any doubt.

But with that Breton force dealt with, Geoffrey realized he was late in getting his men into position. He gave the order to begin the march toward his left, where Mayor Frederic’s men had already pushed past and toward the rear.

About halfway there, he saw a couple of riders approaching from the right and recognized one as Centolh.

“Cousin, what brings you here?” Geoffrey asked. “Does Herve have need of something?”

“Lord Herve insisted I inform you that he has been wounded in the fighting,” Centolh said. “But he assures you that the Breton knights are being routed.”

“Wounded?” Geoffrey asked, as a chill ran down his spine.

“He battled the enemy leader,” Centolh said. “The man managed to strike at Lord Herve and catch him with a mace. But Lord Herve was undaunted, and killed the man soon after. Rogier arrived moments later with a counter-charge to push the Bretons back.”

1131-Breton-killed-by-Herve.jpg

“How serious is his wound?” Geoffrey demanded.

“He claims it is not too serious,” Centolh said. “But he did not feel certain he could take part in your plans to finish the battle, and handled command of his flank to Rogier… if that is alright?”

Geoffrey was surprised and a bit concerned that Herve could not see out the battle, but perhaps he was just being careful. There wasn’t really any reason to push it in this fight - more important battles no doubt would lay ahead.

“Should we send Alberic to take command?” Ancel asked.

“Herve trusts Rogier,” Geoffrey said. “Therefore, so do I. Alberic will remain in reserve, just in case the Bretons have any further tricks left to spring upon us.”

Geoffrey then turned back to Centolh. “Cousin, return to Lord Herve and thank him for his efforts. Also tell him to rest up, for I plan to commend him for his efforts after the fight.”

Centolh nodded. “Of course cousin. I will return to him right away.”

Geoffrey watched Centolh ride off and felt his stomach twist. He was a bit worried about Herve, and wished he had found an actual physician or surgeon at this point he could trust. A woman had been found in the months before, but she had died en route to him, leaving him still searching for Jorge’s medical replacement.

However, that was a concern that would have to wait until after this battle. In the meantime, Geoffrey had an enemy to destroy, as he raised his hand to signal his men’s time to charge.

…..

It may have been the delay in getting his men into position as he watched the Breton ambush.

It might have been the ambush itself, disrupting the coordination of all of Geoffrey’s planned attacks.

Or perhaps the Bretons had just planned a way to escape regardless of what Geoffrey had planned.

Whatever the reason, Geoffrey was left unable to recreate the decisive victories he had delivered against Duchess Judith and Count Padric.

Yes, the majority of the Breton force had been dispatched, but nearly a third had managed to escape. A good chunk of those had been mounted units - knights and mounted sergeants, along with a bit of heavy infantry. The Breton rabble and light infantry had practically been destroyed.

On one hand, it ensured he’d likely never have to deal with a fighting force for the rest of this campaign - even if the Breton best troops survived, they were too little in number to stand toe-to-toe to Geoffrey now.

But they were strong enough a force that they were almost certain to spend a great deal of time raiding the Breton countryside while Geoffrey laid sieges to keeps and towns, trying to bring the child lord to heel.

A Breton commander had been killed, but he was hardly a man of great importance.

Given the overwhelming advantage he had in the fight, Geoffrey would have expected more. This was hardly the stuff of legends.

“A victory is a victory,” Ancel told him as they rode back to the camp. “Not every battle has to be one for the annals. After all, grandfather fought more than just at Rouen.”

Geoffrey could simply nod to it. Ancel wasn’t wrong - it just felt a bit hollow.

As they returned to the camp, Geoffrey was greeted by Alberic and Prince Alias, who both were still on their steeds. Despite his disappointment, Geoffrey still put on a wide grin as he approached his younger sibling.

“Did you enjoy the fight, brother?” he asked the prince.

“You didn’t exactly destroy them as you said you would,” Alias said. “But it looked a thorough enough victory.”

Geoffrey rolled his eyes at that assessment, even if it was what he himself believed.

“Let us see you win such a thorough victory,” he said. “Then you can talk.”

“You asked me,” Alias said. “I meant no disrespect.”

Right, Geoffrey thought. Then he turned to Alberic. “Where is Herve? How does he fare? I want to check in on him?”

“He has not returned,” Alberic said. “You are the first of the commanders back - Foulquesson is also still out.”

“He wanted to chase down stragglers,” Geoffrey said. “So I let him. But Herve I heard nothing of since Centolh told me he was wounded. And that Rogier was leading the flank.”

Alberic shrugged. “I was told nothing of his condition. But Centolh sent word you were requested out on the hill where we inspected the battlefield this morning.”

Geoffrey rubbed his chin. “Perhaps they have seen something about the enemy retreat. We might still be able to destroy them yet.”

“I can find out, if you like,” Alberic said. “To see if it is worth your time.”

“No, I’ll go,” Geoffrey said. “If for nothing else than to commend Herve and my cousin for their performances today. Alberic, you have the camp again. And Alias, you stay here.”

“The battle’s over,” Alias said.

“The enemy remains in the area,” Geoffrey said. “So no chances with you.”

“But you can take the chance?” Alias asked.

“Well… yes,” Geoffrey said. He flashed a grin at his younger brother. “I am king, after all.”

…..

Despite Geoffrey’s caution, there were no issues on the ride out to the hill.

There was a small crowd of armored men gathered at the crest and it was Rogier and Centolh who both approached Geoffrey and his men as they rode up.

With a small smile at seeing Rogier, Geoffrey jumped down off his horse and grabbed his cousin by the shoulders.

“Cousin,” Geoffrey began. “I heard of your heroics! It appears Lord Herve was not wrong to believe in you. I think the time has come for you to take your place among my commanders!”

Rogier did not smile, instead looked down and then back toward those behind him.

“Cousin… is something wrong?” Geoffrey asked.

Rogier nodded and motioned for Geoffrey to follow him toward the tree. The group of men parted, allowing Geoffrey a path. And then he saw Herve, sitting against the tree.

The Count of Charolais seemed at rest, still as a statue. He was still in his mail, though his helmet was off, his grey hair blowing gently in the breeze. But as Geoffrey knelt, he saw Herve’s eyes were glazed over. His body was motionless - not even his chest moved.

Geoffrey’s stomach dropped. Herve was dead.

1131-Herve-killed-in-battle.jpg

“No…” Geoffrey said. “What… what happened? I was told his wound was not serious! Centolh, you told me it was not serious!”

“That is what he told me,” Centolh said. “But when I returned, it was clear it was more serious than he let on. I said I would go back to tell you, but he forbade it - he said it was wrong to trouble you while you were focused on the battle.”

“I would have sent aid,” Geoffrey told him.

“He said there was nothing to be done,” Centolh said. “That he just wished to be brought here, so he could watch the battle unfold.”

Centolh lowered his head as his lip quivered. “That is when I noticed the blood on his lips.”

“He should have said something,” Geoffrey said as he shook his head. “We could have helped!”

Geoffrey placed one trembling hand on Herve’s shoulder. There was no resistance… and the king pulled his hand back. His stomach twisted… and he wondered for a moment if he were trapped in a nightmare.

“He spoke well of you, cousin,” Centolh said. “He asked me to sit with him and watch the battle. He said you have a great mind for war - perhaps even greater than your grandfather, Duke Foulques. At one point he even pointed and said ‘Look at that. The realm is in fine hands with them all.’”

Geoffrey felt his eyes burn at that. A great mind? A mind who stupidly took less men into war to prove a point… and whose fewer knights were made vulnerable.

“He said it was ironic that he died in Brittany, of all places, like his father did so long ago,” Centolh explained. “He believed your father would have found it amusing.”

Geoffrey shook his head. “No, my father would not have. He loved Herve like a brother.”

“I know,” Centolh said. “I think he just wished to lighten the mood.”

“Did he say anything else?” Geoffrey asked. “Want anything?”

“He wishes for you to take fine care of Plaisance, Ancel,” Centolh said. Then he looked to Geoffrey. “He also asked for you to look after his son, our cousin, and our aunt Mascarose.”

Geoffrey nodded. “It will be done.”

“What should we do?” Ancel asked. “With his body?”

Geoffrey closed his eyes tight and forced the tears from them. “Send men far and wide. I want someone found who can properly preserve his body for the trip south.”

“Not to Charolais?” Rogier asked.

“No, it will take too long,” Geoffrey said. “As is, Bordeaux is pushing it. But he is a lord of the realm who served great men, never asking for anything. It is the least we can do for him.”

“I can ride to Charolais,” Ancel said. “To notify his family.”

“Yes… you do that,” Geoffrey said.

Ancel rode off with a few men from Geoffrey’s knights, as well as some of Herve’s. Then Rogier put his hand on the king’s shoulder.

“Should we return, cousin?” Rogier asked. “The sun has begun to set. It will be dark soon.”

“No,” Geoffrey said. “I would like to remain. I will sit here… with him, and see the battlefield. As he did… at the end.”

….

And Geoffrey did remain, for hours, standing and watching as the sun set over the horizon. He did not do so alone in body, as Centolh, Rogier and most of the other knights remained.

But he did so in spirit, as Geoffrey said nothing but the question they did not dare answer, as he stood by the tree, next to Herve’s body.

As the sun sank down, so too did Geoffrey, first sitting down and then moving a few yards away from the tree, so he might get a clear view of the night sky and heavens above.

I had to make a point, he thought. I had to take less men. I had to win a great victory. Had I taken my full army… had I been willing to settle with a fine victory… Herve would still be alive.

And it was made worse by the fact it was a mistake Herve himself would not have made.

It was true Geoffrey did not know Herve as well as many of his father’s other former friends and advisors, despite him being married to his maternal aunt. That he spent most of his time in Charolais limited the contact the king had with him.

But the man carried an impeccable reputation - liked by almost all as a lord of honor, loyalty and piousness. It was no easy thing coming of age in the court of the Devil’s Brood, and Geoffrey could not help but respect that.

And he lived it, Geoffrey thought. He, and he alone, warned me of the perils of war, the costs that can come from unexpected places.I did not heed it enough. And suffering continues to happen as a result.

Geoffrey rubbed his temple before sliding his fingers over his eyes. So many of those who saw his family through their ascendency… were gone now. Helie remained, but she wasn’t them. The ones who had been there with his grandfather - Agnes and Herve, were gone. So too was his father, and those who helped his father, like Count Alias. Or Geoffrey’s own elder brother Foulques. Or even Jorge, who had saved so many in Aquitaine, Geoffrey included, during the cough.

They did not all die recently. But it seemed like the realm’s faithful servants were quickly falling away.

Is this a test, he wondered. Has God decided he wished to know if I am truly ready?

If that was the case, Geoffrey did not like the answer. He had left Aquitaine having annoyed friends and advisors alike with his decisions, especially Essa.

He thought war would prove his strength once more. But instead, his overconfidence had arguably cost Herve his life - dooming a man who had served Geoffrey’s father and grandfather faithfully for decades. A good man who had made his aunt happy, had been like a brother to his father and aunt, loyal to him, and had been his best commander.

If this is a test… then surely I fail miserably, he thought.

Or maybe it had nothing to do with him. His mother sometimes claimed God had called home Geoffrey’s brother Foulques because he was a good man - too good for this family. Could Herve had been the same? Aunt Agnes… well he didn’t think she was, but… perhaps his mother had it wrong.

Aunt Agnes. Count Alias. Even his father… they had accomplished so much in their lives, for better or for worse. All in service of Aquitaine. His brother had laid his life down to help it get free from the Frankish king. Herve had served loyally for decades. Perhaps it was not because of their goodness… but because they had all done their duty?

Geoffrey closed his eyes, and his stomach twisted into further knots. His voice trembling, the king simply asked: “My lord, they did their duty... but do I do mine?”

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Herve is positive and helpful right to the last. I’ll have the obituary ready as soon as possible.

The Queen of Hungary is one of a series of interesting characters we, unfortunately, don’t have time to give a full spotlight on. Ironically she may have done her offspring a favor by dying. All ex-communication related Causus Beli will be gone. Fuck the pope (the one in this aar, Francis is cool) as if he has any moral authority to say someone isn’t getting into heaven.

I’m tempted to suggest the young Queen be betrothed to Alias in order to make sure the House d’Anjou keeps Hungary, but it would be seen as inappropriate to break a betrothal with the House d’Semur given Herve’s death, though they still will be getting an important Anjou marriage in the form of Ancel, duke of Britany, and Nephew to the King, though not through his father’s side. A less noted side effect of Geoffery's affair with Essa is that any resulting bastards will be unsuitable for his dynastic schemes. If that new son of his had been with Ana, or better yet the Queen, he could have been betrothed to young Charolette. Instead, he serves the interest of his official father, Duke Guilhielm.
This has got to be rough on Charles. He sounded like an unlikable prick the few times we saw him, but losing your wife and your mother in the span of a few months, while also being denied the regency for your daughter, that has got to hurt.

And is that duke Giles I see under the D’Uzes’s grandparents tab? Wherever she is Ness has got to be smiling at their rise.
Amongst her redeeming qualities was her love for her children and they all seem to have prospered, though one might add that her timely death erased whatever enmity the crown had left for her descents.

-interestingly, like Marguerite, the one-child she had with a man who was not her husband, or long term lover, also became a bishop. Did you just have a general policy of sending especially embarrassing bastards to the clergy?

-the rise of Ness's children is especially interesting since it occurred in spite of both Geoffery and Anges being very weary of that brood. Mind you Geoff 2 has a whole speach about not fighting old wars so that probably explains it.

I know that Geoffrey 2 is a bit of an idiot, but he is becoming a fine king, rewarding loyalty on and off the battlefield.

“She can be livid,” Geoffrey said. “But her, not you. You don’t know anything of it - you weren’t even born when grandfather sired those children with Etiennette. Those who came before us fought their wars - it is not for us to continue them.”
That is one of the most profound quotes Geoff has ever said. I hope he sticks to the principle. And it is good that even though Haldora will be livid, her son will look out for her interests. Haldora the unchaste, really? She had one affair after her horrible husband died.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Getting themselves more battlefield experience under his most reliable commander couldn’t hurt.
Uh oh. At that point I knew someone was doomed ;) (that being the equivalent of the GI showing a picture of his gal back home and telling his buddy about their plans for a little farm after the war, just before hitting Omaha Beach :eek:) but thought it might have been one of the two younger men.

But she was someone else who had ties to the world that came before him - the world of the Iron Duke Foulques.
They fall, one by one. :(

Those who came before us fought their wars - it is not for us to continue them.
That sounded disturbingly wise and mature of Geoffrey: is he actually now growing up a bit?

Geoffrey’s stomach dropped. Herve was dead.
:eek::( And the penny drops. Poor Herve.

Or even Jorge, who had saved so many in Aquitaine, Geoffrey included, during the cough.
I still think Knud should have swung for that, or at least chucked in the dungeon, or actually banished. Killing a King’s Councillor and respected Physician who helped save his (and others’) lives is not just murder, but an act of lese majeste. Knud for the gibbet! o_O

Reactions: