• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An odd turn of events to say the least. I suspect it's more of a play to explain why the siege wasn't lifted before Phillippe ultimately kicks off, but yeah, I have to assess the situation the same way. Loyalty to a friend is all well and good, but Foulques and Phillippe are inextricably linked at this point.

I also have to suspect that Foulques won't outlive him by a great deal, though I could be very wrong in that. It'd be a good starting point for Geoffrey's reign.

Reactions:
This is one of the times you can truly feel how old Foulques is getting. Preferring to lead a siege instead of defending one, that dull affair instead of a true test of his abilities. Just as he has been weak enough to give in to Ness' demands. Add to that overconfidence in his men's abilities without his own leadership - age got him.

Prince Hugues truly is the perfect kind of man for Champagne to manipulate. A frail, fat bishop with the great pox. Should Philippe die, then Champagne will have gotten what he wanted, but for how long, that's another question.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Things have come to a head very very precipitously.

As to the previous post, unfortunately I haven't been able to find time to delve properly into it - I hope with the season advancing I may yet before the year is out.

Reactions:
An interesting turn of events. I wonder about this Robert is he who he says he is or is Champange trying to get Foulques to surrender before the hammer falls. I just have a feeling like others that something is being set up.

Reactions:
Goodness me but that was unexpected. As was Foulques’ realisation that his affection for Phillipe went beyond mere tolerance.

I too would be very interested by what plot or game device you’ve engineered this latest turn but, by God, it was effective. Bravo!

Reactions:
"Like an old married couple", eh? Well it does describe the situation.

Foulkes has let affection for Phillippe and Nest overcome any pragmatism he had. He also placed too much faith in a single group to deliver a critical, time-sensitive message.

The Duke of Anjou is definitely slipping, though not as quickly as the King.

• 1Like
Reactions:
so.. no Herve to rescue them... whats next?

• 1Like
Reactions:
And then Phillipe drops dead, thus invalidating both wars and his son who is a captive to Champagne becomes King. Champagne immediately declares the same war again and instantly wins due to holding the King captive.

Close? Well something's being set up and I do look forward to seeing what it is. This is where it gets interesting to try to figure it out given we know that if Herve isn't relieving that siege then it's because that's what our author wished. It's a neat way to have Foulques nominally stay loyal while effectively still leaving the King to his fate and it's roughly the sort of thing I think we all come up with in our head cannon when we do something meta-gamey but still want to preserve the story we're telling ourselves as we play. Or at least that's what I do...

Come to think of it, Phillipe dying wouldn't invalidate the wars since they are for someone else's claim rather than against Phillipe's rule. But Champagne would auto-win if Phillips dies, right? Since he'd then hold the new king prisoner.

Correct. It just transfers to his son - which since he's held by Champagne, automatically gives Champagne the victory and puts Hugues on the throne. Then Hugues would inherit the war against Gilles.

This chapter was admittedly set-up. Some of it was to give the next chapter a bit of different flavor and some of it was to set up for an event in the future. Plus, I also wanted to show a little bit more of Ness' vulnerable side and show how she is very much a pawn in larger schemes. Though Foulques' back and forth whether to intervene was reflective of my own thoughts. I didn't want Philippe to fall, but I didn't necessarily want to just spend my time propping him up. I also wished to be respectful of the friendship Foulques and Champagne had.

An interesting twist! In the readAAR’s post-mortem will be intrigued if we can find out whether that was some unforeseen game function or mechanic or an imaginative plot device :confused:o_O

In any case, some kind of denouement approaches and much may change as a result.

No mechanic on that one. Just adding some flavor to the situation. Is it because I decided to let the keep fall, or because I wanted to make for a more dramatic intervention? You'll see soon enough!

But I'll say things headed toward a conclusion in the realm. It's actually pretty near in actual in game time, but I tend to draw out events (possibly for too long). And something else is also happening, unrelated to the civil war, which is going to steal the limelight as well.

An odd turn of events to say the least. I suspect it's more of a play to explain why the siege wasn't lifted before Phillippe ultimately kicks off, but yeah, I have to assess the situation the same way. Loyalty to a friend is all well and good, but Foulques and Phillippe are inextricably linked at this point.

I also have to suspect that Foulques won't outlive him by a great deal, though I could be very wrong in that. It'd be a good starting point for Geoffrey's reign.

I went this way for the next chapter for sure - but as alluded to above it could have been for a few different reasons. Sadly I can't comment on the lifespans of the characters, except to say this - one character in this story amused me as to when they kicked off as they died in the exact same year they did in real life! I was surprised but had to tip my cap so to speak. They knew when to exit properly. :D

This is one of the times you can truly feel how old Foulques is getting. Preferring to lead a siege instead of defending one, that dull affair instead of a true test of his abilities. Just as he has been weak enough to give in to Ness' demands. Add to that overconfidence in his men's abilities without his own leadership - age got him.

Prince Hugues truly is the perfect kind of man for Champagne to manipulate. A frail, fat bishop with the great pox. Should Philippe die, then Champagne will have gotten what he wanted, but for how long, that's another question.

Foulques is definitely in decline. I'd argue they all are - the queen noticed it a few chapters back. But Foulques seems to be coasting by at this point - disinterested etc. I did not think it right for him to simply "turn it back on" and have things work out thanks to him.

I agree on Hugues. He is not in the best situation health-wise and has little territory to call his own. A victory will net him Melun... and that's it. The perfect king for Champagne to do as he pleases with.

Things have come to a head very very precipitously.

As to the previous post, unfortunately I haven't been able to find time to delve properly into it - I hope with the season advancing I may yet before the year is out.

We are moving toward a finale for sure. We're not far from it in time, but there are still a few more twists to be had.

An interesting turn of events. I wonder about this Robert is he who he says he is or is Champange trying to get Foulques to surrender before the hammer falls. I just have a feeling like others that something is being set up.

That you suspect of Champagne of potentially trying to get ahead off lack of information is a wise guess - but it may not be related just to Foulques himself. Remember, Foulques isn't at the head of the army in Bourges and they may not take too kindly to their duke being caught in a siege. ;)

Goodness me but that was unexpected. As was Foulques’ realisation that his affection for Phillipe went beyond mere tolerance.

I too would be very interested by what plot or game device you’ve engineered this latest turn but, by God, it was effective. Bravo!

Thanks! Foulques' realization kind of went along with mine, honestly. I thought about their relationship and I realized it was akin to many medieval marriages - not together for love but for mutual benefit. And given that Beatritz died months after Rouen, I thought it proved to be an apt description of their relationship.

I will probably explain after the next update why I went this direction.

"Like an old married couple", eh? Well it does describe the situation.

Foulkes has let affection for Phillippe and Nest overcome any pragmatism he had. He also placed too much faith in a single group to deliver a critical, time-sensitive message.

The Duke of Anjou is definitely slipping, though not as quickly as the King.

It was as the queen suggested a few chapters back - he has lost his drive and motivation. I think she assigns too much blame to Ness for it - Foulques is old, confident and has had few direct challenges in years. He has grown complacent in a way. Ness exacerbated it, but she did not cause it. Philippe repeatedly letting Foulques get away with most of what he desires on the other hand...

Foulques does not have the weight of the realm on his shoulders - though Philippe keeps asking him to take some of it on. It weakens the king. The one wise thing Foulques says in this chapter is that he knows it is a burden not worth taking on. He may be over-confident, but he is not stupid. :)

so.. no Herve to rescue them... whats next?

You'll see next chapter!

This guy.

Which guy? Foulques, Philippe or Champagne? (I could see all!) Or me?

To all, I originally wanted the next chapter out yesterday. But while I got the writing finished, I didn't love the way aspects came together, so I'm still tinkering with it. I had this chapter in mind for a while, so I want it to hit the notes I intended. New expected arrival date is tomorrow.

This chapter's purpose was to provide set up for that. In addition, I wanted to further explore certain relationships further/give more depth to them. Ness in particular, who I think I've written a bit too... secure. I wanted to show the difficulties of her situations and how precarious it is - and used her bit to do it. But I also wanted to show the frailties of both Foulques and Philippe at this point. Philippe has less control than he wants. Foulques has less control than he thinks.

As always thanks for your commentary and feedback!

Reactions:
Chapter 101 - January 1100
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 101
January 1100 - Near Melun, France

Deep breaths.

The morning sun had started to illuminate the area. Normally it would provide beauty. Today, it was a stark reminder that the meeting fast approached.

Breathe. You have dealt with worse.

Agnes felt her stomach churn and twist into knots. She had been so sure before. Now, perhaps she had made a fatal error. What if this was not what her father wanted? What if…

Bre--

She felt her stomach seize and convulse. Dropping to her knees, bile forced it’s way up her throat and out her mouth as she vomited onto the cold, hard ground. Another spasm followed, and what little was in her stomach found it’s way back out.

The adrenaline from the fit was coursing through her now, and she fought to regain control of her thoughts and emotions.

Deep breaths.

She was successful after a time. Agnes then eased herself onto her rear, before sliding away from the mess she’d made and resting with her back against a tree. Her eyes drifted toward the army camp a few hundred yards away and spotted no one looking her way. She thanked God no one had seen that.

The morning sun and crisp, winter air was supposed to be calming. It had not helped.

Hours from now she was to meet the Duke of Champagne for a parlay. She would do so representing her father and Anjou - all while claiming to carry out interests which she knew were not his.

Well, that wasn’t entirely true. She suspected he would approve of this decision to break the siege of Bourges and march to the relief of Melun - she had just not received any orders for him to do it.

When Melun had fallen under siege, Agnes awaited word from her father. When none came, she prepared to travel to Bourges to meet with Herve. Taking Chancellor Godfrey, his son Henri, Alearde and some of the household knights, they had arrived at the beginning of the month.

She thought Herve had been the one to receive instructions from her father. But her cousin was in the dark as she was, believing when she arrived that she had done so with Foulques’ orders.

It was odd - Agnes would have expected Foulques to request aid. But if not, she also would have expected a message to instruct them to do nothing. Yet there was nothing.

Fearing the worst, and with no way to get a message to her father, Agnes had decided to lift the siege of Bourges and march on Champagne’s forces surrounding Melun.

It was very much a unilateral call. She could have returned to Anjou and attempted to get council support, but she feared there was not time for such things. Godfrey was uneasy about that decision - but she sold him on the idea that if they convinced Herve to support, it would be enough.

She knew her cousin’s victories had raised his stature in her father’s eyes - to the point where she suspected he liked him far better than Geoffrey. Foulques would never disinherit his son for a nephew not of his blood, but there was no question Herve was a favorite of the duke. His word would carry much weight.

And Herve proved easy to convince - he appeared almost eager for the opportunity. She suspected he, much like her father, preferred battle to sieges.

As they marched north, she had been convinced this would work - that it was the right decision. All through last night, she had few doubts.

But now, the hour was drawing near. She would attempt to convince Philipp of Champagne to withdraw his army, ideally, without a fight. If she failed, she would attack one of her father’s good friends, and do so without any direct command.

And to make matters worse, she knew Champagne would not be moved easily. Far too much was at stake for that.

Godfrey had informed her of rumors that Champagne aimed to bring the Duke of Toulouse to the rebels side. Toulouse was lukewarm, however, uncertain if the rebels had enough of an army to actually win a prolonged war. After all, once Anjou had become involved against Gilles, the Duke of Berry found his fortunes drastically decline.

However, if Champagne could take Melun, even if he did not capture the king, it would be another sign he was a force to be reckoned with and perhaps enough to get Toulouse to switch sides.

With so much on the line, Agnes suspected he would never abandon the siege without a fight.

Deep breaths. Deep breaths.

She looked up and saw Alearde approaching, alongside Herve. The older woman hurried her pace as she spotted Agnes, though was careful to avoid the vomit on the ground. Herve stomped right on it.

Agnes grimaced. Her cousin was not graceful.

“My lady,” Herve said as he bowed.

“I was concerned I did not find you in your tent,” Alearde said. “I checked with Herve, but he did not know where you were. He insisted on coming to find you.”

Agnes blushed. “Thank you Herve. I am fine.”

“Are you certain?” Alearde asked, throwing a glance toward where Agnes had vomited earlier and then toward Herve’s boot. He did not even appear to notice where he had stepped.

“I am nervous,” Agnes said. “That is all.”

“There is nothing to fear, my lady,” Herve said. “The Duke of Champagne can match only a quarter of our forces. If he fights, he is a fool.”

“Pride can make a smart man a fool very quickly,” Agnes lamented.

“That is his problem,” Alearde said. “Not yours.”

Agnes nodded before being helped to her feet by her cousin. He gave her a small smile and her stomach twisted once more.

She could not escape the feeling that it could become her problem very quickly.

1100_Abandon_siege_of_Bourges.jpg

….

A few hours later she, Herve and a some of the Angevin household knights, along with Herve’s guard rode out toward a field near a tiny village south of Melun called Fontainebleau. There they would meet with Philipp of Champagne and their course would be set.

Agnes knew she was taking many risks. She not only was intent on going through with this meeting and a battle if it did not go her way, but she went without Godfrey. The chancellor had pleaded with her to allow her to accompany him, but she could not shake the feeling that if he were there, it would undermine her authority.

She was regent - she was acting as her father’s voice - and that was what Champagne needed to see.

Beside this was no negotiation. She was not going to discuss terms - she was there hand them out. If Champagne did not like them… then he would line up his 1500 men against her 5500 and see who came out on top.

Still her grip on the reins of her steed were so tight they turned her hands white - though that was not visible beneath her gloves. She could not even feel the cold January wind, even though she heard it whip around her.

She wished she had Alearde present. But her lady could not come to this. She was wary of providing any more arrows for Champagne to sling toward her - he likely had more than enough already - and bringing her father’s former lover to a meeting was just asking for trouble.

“We have the advantage my lady,” Herve told her as they rode. “Might often makes right.”

It seemed to be the way in which her father lived. It was no wonder Foulques thought so well of him.

But then so did she. Herve had the appearance and mannerisms of a brute at first glance - big, strapping and eager for battle while not being all that bright.

Yet she thought him a good man at heart - one who was noble toward his enemies, releasing the non-nobles who fought for Gilles whom they had captured. And he had taken much of the coin he had secured in his victories over Gilles to pay to send his wife Sybille swans to celebrate the birth of their daughter.

When Agnes saw that in September, she could not help but feel a pang of jealousy.

1100_Herve.jpg

1100_Eve_de_Semur.jpg

“I must be careful,” Agnes told him. “King Philippe brought the King of England to heel, and defeated Moslem rulers. Yet he remains confounded by Philipp of Champagne. He is a slippery man, hard to trap. And he has made much out of having others walk into traps he has set for them.”

Herve shook his head. “My lady, you need not do his work for him. He likely thought himself safe from us. He meets with you because he hopes to avoid battle. You meet with him out of courtesy.”

Agnes smiled. He is not bad at these morale-boosting chats.

“Thank you Herve,” she said. “And I’ve told you before, you need not call me, my lady. We are family. You can call me Agnes.”

“I think you deserve the respect, my lady,” Herve said. “You rule in your father’s name. And if he wills it, then it is so.”

“My father would allow me to offer you the chance to call me by my name,” Agnes said. “He thinks very well of you.”

Her cousin soon had a smile as wide as his face. “That flatters me more than you know. Your father has given me everything. I will do what I can to repay him, and you, and your brothers.”

“And we are grateful to have your help,” Agnes said. “You have proven yourself time and time again. I know your mother is proud. As is… your wife.”

“I never did ask… did she enjoy the swans?” Herve wondered.

Agnes turned her gaze straight ahead. “She was… the envy of every woman at court. I think she was pleased.”

Herve turned a light shade of red. “I am glad. I felt guilt I could not be nearby when she birthed our daughter. She has been alone for much of the year… it is not how husband and wife should be.”

Agnes closed her eyes as she felt her heart flutter… and that feeling of jealousy creep in again.

Why didn’t my father marry me to him? We could have worked together, as father and mother did - he lead the armies and me keep the duchy in order…

But she quickly shook the thoughts from her mind. Her father had not married them, Herve had a wife and a daughter, and while Agnes held Anjou in her father’s name for now, it would not remain that way forever. Eventually, it would return to Foulques. Or go to Geoffrey. Or her nephew. Or her younger brother. Or… her bastard brother.

She shot a quick glance to Herve to see if she had given any of her feelings away. He did not appear to notice anything odd - not surprising. Those little things usually went past him. From what she heard, the exception was in battle. There, he was a genius in the mold of his uncle.

But his time was not now, though it might come soon. Instead, as they approached the banners indicating the Duke of Champagne, she was reminded it was hers.

The rode into the clearing and found the duke on his horse along with multiple knights. As they approached the duke rode forward with a few of his men.

Set up were two chairs, with one larger than the other, with a table centered between them. Philipp dismounted beside one of the chairs, while the men who rode out with him did so a few yards behind. Servants were already present, with cups and a pitcher of wine.

A fine show, Agnes thought. Now let’s see what he means to do with it.

Mirroring his actions, Agnes dismounted by the chairs. Herve followed suit just behind, while a few of the knights also did so a few yards back of him.

Agnes approached Philipp and bowed. He took her hand and kissed it.

“My lady, it has been too long,” Philipp said. “And this must be the nephew I have heard much about. The one who makes a name for himself as one of the rising men of the realm.”

Herve nodded before bowing but said nothing.

“You look lovely,” Philipp said. “It has been years since I have seen you, but you have blossomed into a fine woman.”

“Well, it is hardly my fault you and my father seem destined to end up on opposite sides of every conflict in the realm,” Agnes replied.

“Hopefully that is something that will soon be past,” Philipp said. “I remain your father’s loyal friend and ally. Even now, I vouch for his character to our rightful king Hugues. That a man of loyalty like Duke Foulques is to be valued.”

“Kind of you to do so, Duke Philipp,” Agnes said. “I am certain my father will be grateful, should you emerge victorious.”

Philipp nodded and offered Agnes a seat. It was, predictably, in the smaller chair, but she took it anyway. Philipp sat down in the other chair, positioned at an angle to her, with the small table before them. A servant poured each a cup of wine.

“I must confess, my lady,” Philipp began, “I am surprised to see you here.”

“Why? That I carry out my father’s will is known to most,” Agnes said.

“Yes, which is the reason for my surprise,” Philipp said. “Your father has not sent any directive for you to be here. Yet here you are, with your father’s army. Why is that?”

“I think you can guess the answer to that, Duke Philipp,” Agnes said.

Philipp smirked and took a sip of his wine. “So, you took it upon yourself to save a man who does not need saving, at the cost of the progress your cousin there had made against the Duke of Berry. I hear he flees his keep and moves to take refuge with his lady wife in Gascony.”

And they said I just wished for revenge, Agnes thought.

“You can see the importance then,” Agnes replied.

“I understand your concern, my lady,” Philipp said. “But I believe you have made a mistake. Your father did not request you intervene.”

“How do you know that?” Agnes asked.

“I have eyes and ears everywhere,” Philipp said. “Do you think I would have remained here if you had orders to attack?”

“I have ears too, and they hear you need the victory,” Agnes said. “Desperation can make a man do dangerous things.”

“Desperate? I still hold the crown prince,” Philippe said. “I am comfortable with hour the war plays out. Meanwhile, you have gone above and beyond your authority. I do not believe your father will be pleased.”

“But you think he would be pleased being hauled off to a dungeon cell in Troyes?” Agnes asked.

“Do not be ridiculous my dear,” Philipp replied. “Your father is in no danger from me.”

“You would simply release the marshal of the realm? The one who orchestrated many of the king’s great victories?” Agnes asked.

“Why would I need to hold him?” Philipp asked. “I would have the king. The war would be over.”

“And if the king escapes?” Agnes asked.

“He is ill,” Philipp said. “According to rumors. He will not escape.”

“But if he does?” Agnes asked.

“He will not escape without your father,” Philipp said.

“You have the reputation as a slippery one, Duke Philipp,” Agnes said. “I see it is well earned. But your evasive response tells me much.”

“And what do you have to tell me?” Philipp asked. “What is your reason for meeting with me?”

Agnes took her cup of wine and sipped it slowly. Her stomach was in knots once more and she needed to center herself. She steeled herself as the liquid hit her lips, and slowly let it seep into her mouth, drawing it out as long as possible.

“You are my father’s friend,” she replied. “I do not wish to have our armies come to blows. That is why my father offers you a chance to withdraw your forces to Normandy and continue to war against the king from there.”

“Your father offers me no such chance,” Philipp said. “Do not hide behind him. We both know this is your decision. And yours alone.”

Her stomach clenched. But she would not let herself seize up this time.

“Yes, it is my decision, though I did not make it alone,” Agnes said as she looked to Herve. “My father has given me leave to take actions that I see fit in Anjou and… beyond, should he not be able to give them. Since my father cannot direct the army of Anjou, it falls on me to do it.”

“He has directed them to stay out of my conflict with the king,” Philipp said. “You violate that agreement.”

“The agreement ended when my father was caught in between you and the king,” Agnes said. “So long as you restrict your activity to Normandy and the king’s lands there, you are free to do as you please. Now that my father’s life is at risk, that is no longer the case.”

Philipp raised a brow. “You… you mean to tell me… what I can do?”

“Forgive me, Duke Philipp,” Agnes said. “You are of course free to do as you please. I forget my place. You are one of the most powerful men in the realm. I am but my father’s daughter.”

Philipp smiled and nodded. He reached out and patted Agnes’ hand. “It happens to the best of us my dear.”

Agnes cleared her throat. “As I said, I am my father’s daughter, which means you have the choice to go where you wish, but I will direct the forces of Anjou to aid my father. That means defeating anyone who lays siege to the keep while he is present.”

Philipp pulled his hand away. “You threaten me?”

“I state what will happen,” Agnes said. “I do not wish for a conflict. But I will not allow my father to fall into your hands, as kind and gentle as you say they are. Again, you are free to do as you please. But remain here and we will attack. What is the harm in returning to Normandy?”

“I have the chance to win this war,” Philipp said. “Capturing the king now will mean victory. His forces are away. Nothing stands to defend it. I understand why you do not grasp it - women are not ones for war after all - but this chance is too good to pass up. You would have me throw away a chance at victory?”

Agnes sipped her wine. “Excuse my… womanly mind which does not grasp these concepts. But if there is an army four times the size of yours issuing a warning that remaining will mean they shall attack… then it would seem to me that it is not such a good opportunity after all.”

“Stubborn girl,” Philipp said. “Your father has always complained of that. A decade ago he lamented your refusal to listen to him over your cousin. And look how that turned out. It is no surprise me that you ended up with your bastard.”

“You are out of line!” Herve shouted as he came up beside Agnes. “The Lady Agnes greets you with courtesy and decency and you insult her?”

Philipp looked toward Herve before taking another drink. “I see this cousin is more loyal than your last.”

“You disgusting snake,” Herve said.

Agnes grasped his hand. “It is alright Herve.”

“No, it is not,” Herve said. “He would not dare say such things to your father. As his voice, he is to treat you with the same respect.”

“The voice she speaks with is her own,” Philipp said. “Not her father’s. That you don’t see it makes me be think you are either dull, weak-willed or under her spell. Perhaps all three.”

“I will show you weak-willed,” Herve said as he began to reach for his sword.

“Herve!” Agnes shouted. “No! This is not the time and place for such actions.”

She looked around. There were guards who drawn swords, though not yet stepped forward. Herve’s own knights also pulled their blades.

She had to act quick.

“Please,” she said as she gently stroked her cousin’s arm. “I know you stand for our honor, but you will not aid us by taking his bait.”

Herve glared at Philipp for a moment before removing his hand from his sword. He took a deep breath.

“My apologies, Lady Agnes,” he said.

“It is all right,” she told him.

“A loyal hound,” Philipp said. “Back to your place.”

Agnes glared at him. “I do not know it is wise to insult a man who stands to command an army four times the size of yours, but as you say, my womanly mind cannot grasp the concepts of war.”

“I would not speak so glibly,” Philipp said. “I am the man who has all but broken the King of the Franks.”

“But who has never bested my father in battle,” Agnes said.

“And your father will not be present,” Philipp said.

“No, but I have bested him far more often than you have,” Agnes said. “Which I think says much, don’t you?”

Philipp’s brow rose. “You sound as if you will lead the army yourself.”

“My cousin shall manage it just fine,” Agnes said.

“I think you should have brought your father’s chancellor,” Philipp said. “I think he would have a better grasp of what is about to take place here.”

“I grasp it quite well. Anjou will not be cowed,” Agnes said. “And neither will I. Or my cousin. That I know my father would not stand for.”

Philipp shook his head before standing. “You make a grievous error. When your father sees what you have done… attacking his truest friend in the realm and forever ruining the relationship between Anjou and Champagne, you will be shipped off to a convent.”

Agnes stood up. “Then I shall go and pray for the soul of a man who has twice betrayed his king before God and uses his children as pawns.”

Philipp smirked. “I think I shall be alright. I do His work. After all, God abandoned this wicked king long ago.”

A steed was brought forward and the duke mounted it. Without looking back he and his guard rode off, leaving servants to clean up the furniture left behind.

Agnes and Herve mounted their steeds and began their ride back.

“Thank you my la-- Agnes,” Herve said. “You saved us from a difficult situation.”

“You defended my honor,” Agnes replied. “I owe you my thanks.”

“He would never have said such a thing to your father,” Herve said.

“Not if he wanted to avoid getting hit,” Agnes replied. “But… I can’t help but wonder... could my father have not wished for us take this action?”

“It was as you said in Bourges,” Herve began, “Why would your father wish for himself to fall into Champagne’s hands? He may have wished to avoid conflict, but surely given the situation, he would find it unavoidable.”

Agnes wished to believe that. But perhaps she had seen an opportunity to do something bold, and eager to prove herself once more, had jumped at it too quickly.

“We must not lose,” she said.

“That will not happen,” Herve said. “Our men have spent the last year training against Gilles’ pathetic forces. They are ready and eager to crush the Duke of Champagne. My only fear is that it shall be over too quickly.”

A smile came to her lips. She appreciated her cousin’s rather confident nature on the matter. It did help calm her nerves.

“With you leading my father’s men, I believe it very well might be,” she told him.

“And after his display today, I will feel no guilt in dispatching him quickly,” Herve said. “And if there is any justice, we shall capture him, so he can look up at your lovely face and see the woman he mocked tower over him.”

Agnes closed her eyes and saw Philipp in chains, forced to his knees before her. She had the fantasy many times before about Gilles.

Their decision to abandon Bourges may have cost her the latter, but she would certainly settle for the former.
…..

1100_Battle_in_Paris.jpg

“So this is what a battlefield is like,” Alearde said as she sat on horseback the next day.

Agnes took her eyes away from the action before her to glance back at her old mentor. “I thought you had seen one before… you know, when…”

“With your father?” Alearde asked. “I visited camps a few times. But never did I see a battle take place.”

“And what do you think?” Agnes asked. “Now, watching it?”

“Interesting from up here,” Alearde replied. “I imagine much less so down there.”

Agnes couldn’t argue. She had been watching the battle unfold she found it intriguing to see as infantry battled, the lines would gradually shift positions, drifting in one direction. Chancellor Godfrey, who was alongside her with his son, Henri, and a few household knights, had informed her this was because of the natural desire of men have the protection of the shield wall, and make sure they were not exposed.

She also was curious to see how cavalry worked. She always imagined they charged in one grand assault when in truth, they moved more in waves - one group charged, then another and another, which caused lines to buckle and then break.

It was good then, that her position on the field appeared more show than action. From this hill overlooking the action, she sat on horseback, along with Alearde. Agnes had taken it so far as to dress in mail - rather uncomfortable as it was. She even had a helmet - though Alearde was currently holding it for her.

Both the hauberk and leather armor underneath were made for men. To better shape her body for them, Agnes had Alearde tape her breasts down. It left her chest feeling constricted and between her linen, leather and metal it was incredibly hot. Where the leather touched her skin, she chafed.

How does father enjoy this, she wondered as she felt the sweat drip down her face - an impressive feat for a cold January day and why her helmet was off.

She envied Alearde at the moment, who limited the changes to her typical attire to wearing boots for riding and a shorter skirt for her dress. She wrapped herself in a cloak to keep warm, with her head covered.

The battle itself looked to be progressing well enough. With such a large advantage in numbers, the Angevin forces appeared to be winning, though Champagne’s forces were positioned in a way along the Seine to minimize the ability to be flanked.

“It will just be a matter of time,” Godfrey noted. “Eventually their men will tire and break.”

“Good,” Agnes said, her nerves calming somewhat now.

After her little lapse in confidence following the meeting with Champagne, she again was fairly certain her father would approve of this, though she could not completely silence the little doubts she had. However, if they were to ever lose this fight, then she knew she would suffer the consequences, having pushed for it. Her position may have looked strong, but a woman repeatedly calling for war and battle, only served to heighten the threats around her.

As her eyes drifted across the battlefield, she took notice of the Angevin left. Commanded by the old mayor of Saumur, Renaud, had easily dispatched the paltry forces from Champagne’s right, and appeared to be joining Herve’s assault on the center. However, their assault appeared to be slowing and as she continued to watch, actually turn into a retreat.

1100_Battle_in_Paris_breakdown.jpg

“What is happening there?” Agnes asked Godfrey. “It appears they are retreating.”

“They are,” Godfrey said. “I fear something may have happened to Renaud…”

Agnes turned to one of the knights and ordered him to find out what was happening.

“Even if we lose our left, Herve will easily win in the center,” Godfrey reassured her.

But that did not help the churning in her stomach. Renaud should have easily been able to assist too. Something had gone wrong. What if it went wrong with Herve too?

When the knight neared, Agnes rode over to him. “What news do you bring?”

“Renaud has been wounded, my lady,” the knight said. “They do not believe it is terribly serious, but he is having difficulty riding.”

“Can he lead the attack?” Agnes demanded.

“He is trying, my lady,” the knight said. “But…”

She could leave nothing to chance. Kicking her horse forward she rode on down toward the left.

What are you doing?

It was foolish. She did not even have a weapon.

If this battle fails, father will remove me. He might send me to a convent. I cannot lose. I will not allow us to lose.

She neared where Renaud was stationed with his knights. The infantry was up ahead, on a slow march away from the battle, while the grey-haired man was leaning on his horse, grimacing in pain. There was no blood, but he held his chest.

“What is the problem, Mayor Renaud?” Agnes demanded.

Renaud looked at her with wide eyes. Then he grunted out: “Stuck by a blow to the chest my lady.”

“I see no blood,” she said.

“The bones in his chest may be broken,” Godfrey said. “A very painful wound. It will heal in time though, provided the damage is not too severe.”

“Can you ride?” Agnes demanded.

“I will try, my lady,” Renaud said.

“I do not have time for try,” Agnes said. “The battle rages. I need a weapon. A sword.”

The knights looked at her with a mixture of surprise and contempt. None offered their weapon.

“Here my lady,” Henri said as he handed over his weapon, handle first, to her.

Agnes took the blade and rotated her wrist as if to inspect it. Henri was 18 summers and still growing into his frame, so the weapon was thankfully fairly light.

“My lady, your father will not wish to see you hurt,” Godfrey said. “I would advise against it.”

“My father does not wish to see a battle lost,” Agnes said. “Our forces have not suffered defeat in decades. It will not happen under my watch.”

Alearde rode next to her. Agnes figured that she was there to warn her. Instead, she handed her a helmet.

“You will want this my lady,” Alearde said with a smirk.

Agnes smiled and fastened it to her head. Then, after taking a deep breath, she raised her new weapon.

“Men! My father does not know defeat,” she shouted. “Neither does my cousin at your head. I come to you because I fear this flank may taste it. And that is not what we do in Anjou. Defeat is not who we are! We will not be turned aside. Not today! Not any day!”

Godfrey and gave a cheer, and the knights around did so as well. Feeling a surge of adrenaline, Agnes pointed her sword back toward the battlefield.

“Onward to reclaim your victory!”
….

Agnes had expected to be more disgusted by the site of battle.

To be fair, she had not quite been in the thick of it. Without a lance, she could not participate in any charges. And thus, her impromptu grab of command on the left was more of a decision to be closer to the action to inspire the men, rather than actually take part in the fighting.

But it had worked, as the Angevin left again moved forward against the Champagne center. Even with their adversaries attempting to narrow their flank, they could only hold out for so long before they broke.

In the rush of exhilaration at hearing the news that the enemy was in flight, Agnes had joined the pursuit. She did not kill anyone herself, but she witnessed as Angevin knights rode down fleeing infantry men, attempting to capture and in some cases, kill. The fleeing enemy was stabbed, crushed and trampled.

It was ugly and unsightly, but she did not find it disturbing. Perhaps it was because she was just relieved to have won - and thrilled to have contributed to the victory.

Father will be proud, I’m sure of it.

That thought was soon followed by another.

I wonder what Duke Philipp is saying now? Especially if he gets wind of my part in this fight…

1100_Battle_of_Paris_results.jpg

She returned to the main camp and tossed her helmet aside, shaking her hair free of the bonds so her auburn locks could flow freely. Her cousin Herve rode beside her, grabbed her arm and lifted it in the air, to the cheer of the men gathered.

She and Herve dismounted and headed toward the latter’s tent, followed by Alearde, Godfrey and Henri. Cups of red wine were served out to all.

“Do you like it?” Godfrey asked. “I specifically arranged for this ready for our victory.”

“What is so special about this wine?” Herve asked.

“It is from the Champagne region,” Godfrey said. “While it is not the best of wines, I think it suits the situation nicely.”

“It is as if we drink the blood of our foes!” Herve exclaimed as he hoisted the cup in the air.

Godfrey’s brow rose before he turned his head toward Agnes and rolled his eyes. Agnes covered her mouth to hide a chuckle - her cousin’s inability to grasp subtlety amused her at times like this.

“A fine choice,” Agnes said to Godfrey. “Did you send a messenger to Melun to inform them of our success here?”

“Yes,” Godfrey said. “They will likely receive word tonight. We may hear their sighs of relief from here.”

Agnes chuckled and then motioned with her head for Alearde to join her in the corner, away from the others. Once she had, Agnes whispered: “I wish I could see the look on my father’s face when he learns of it.”

“No longer worried that he did not call for this?” Alearde asked.

“Our victory is nearly total,” Agnes said. “It could have only been moreso had we captured Duke Philippe. I doubt my father will find much fault with it.”

“You make a good point,” Alearde said. “Even if he is concerned, he will look past it with such thorough victory today. Though some may point to you leading such a victory as a slight.”

“On Champagne perhaps,” Agnes said. “He, not father, was bested by a woman. And Herve was in command. He performed… masterfully.”

Alearde rolled her eyes. “Leash your tongue girl. His father in law is in the tent.”

“What… what do you mean?” Agnes asked.

“I know that look in your eyes,” Alearde said. “Like a hungry dog staring at a fresh piece of meat. You had it when you saw Cedric for the first time.”

Agnes blushed. She did find herself thinking about her cousin the night before. Given what happened with Gilles, it was a guilty pleasure to even fantasize such things, but she could not help it.

“He is a fine leader of men,” Agnes said. “There is no shame in admiration.”

“Admire all you like if that is as far as it goes,” Alearde said.

“I thought you merely aimed to guide me,” Agnes said.

“And I will guide you far away from that one,” Alearde said.

“Why? Herve is… a fine example of a man. A knight on the battlefield but kind at heart,” Agnes said. “Nothing like Gilles.”

“He may well be a good man, but he is also a married one,” Alearde said. “To the chancellor’s daughter, and now with a daughter of his own. You do not need to make enemies of one of your steadfast allies in Anjou. It is something your father might do because he cannot keep his urges in check. You must show more restraint than he.”

Agnes frowned. She still felt the rush of her victory. She knew men often celebrated such glory in the bed of a woman - why could she not spend her night in the arms of a good man? When her father and brother had no problems laying with married women…

Is that who you wish to take your morals from? Those who irk you in behavior?

It is what her mother would say. She could almost hear Beatritz saying it to her.

“I will,” Agnes said. “I will restrain myself. Thank you Alearde.”

Alearde nodded and gave her a pat on the back before the two rejoined the others.

“You took a large chance. Why?”

Foulques’ words stirred up old fears rather quickly.

Agnes stood with her father in his chambers in Melun. She had arrived with Herve and their entourage earlier in the day. Foulques had nearly immediately pulled her aside for this private chat.

The old duke did not betray much to her. He did not smile, he did not frown, but even with his mask Agnes could see he was serious.

“We have won a great battle, father,” Agnes said. “Though we did not capture Philipp of Champagne…”

“I did not ask you about the battle,” Foulques said. “I asked you why you lifted the siege of Bourges and attacked Philipp of Champagne without orders.”

Her eyes widened. Had Champagne been truthful with her after all? Her father could not really have…

No, her father had to be just testing her. He did that from time to time - as a means to keep her sharp. That is what this had to be.

I hope.

“I did it to make certain you did not fall into Champagne’s hands,” Agnes said. “We heard no word, good or bad. I believed you could not get word to us. So I acted, as you have entrusted me to do as regent. If I have acted out of turn, then I sincerely apologize, and I will not protest any punishment. I just feared for your safety, father.”

Foulques said nothing for a moment, staring her down. But Agnes puffed out her chest and held her head high. If this was a test, she needed to show her best. If it wasn’t, how she reacted was unlikely to matter.

“I tried to send word to Herve to move against Champagne,” Foulques finally said. “But the man who carried the message was killed en route. Henri...”
“That snake!” Agnes shouted.

“It was a risk,” Foulques said. “Henri knew that…”

“No!” Agnes said. “I mean, I am sorry for poor Henri. He was a loyal man. But Champagne tried to tell me you had an agreement not to intervene.”

Foulques rolled his eyes. “I should not be surprised, but I am.”

“He is not your friend, father,” Agnes said.

“He is, as much as any other duke of this realm is,” Foulques said. “But he knows that was his best chance. He did not wish to lose it.”

Agnes could not believe she was thinking it, but her father was too forgiving.

“The king plans to honor Herve for his victory,” Foulques said. “He will see you in private - I suspect he does not wish to openly honor a woman in this matter. A woman saving the King of the Franks? I think he believes such a thing will weaken him.”

“Can he grow much weaker?” Agnes asked.

“Keep that tongue leashed when you meet with him,” Foulques said. “I have enough problems shielding your brother from him.”

Agnes sighed. “Yes, I suppose the king is not pleased about this rebellion in Poitou.”

Foulques’ brow rose. “Rebellion in Poitou?”

And suddenly Agnes remembered her father was cut off from much of the news of the world for the past month.

“Geraud of Thouars has declared a revolt against the Duchess Patricia,” Agnes said. “He… seeks to install Geoffrey as the Duke of Poitou.”

“Does Geoffrey declare for the duchy?” Foulques asked.

“Not yet,” Agnes said. “He… likely does as he did with Aquitaine, and hopes he will win the revolt without actually expending any resources to win it.”

In some ways, Agnes could not help but admire her brother for that. As she knew, it took guile to get men to do things for you, especially when they were not necessarily bound to by oaths.

Yet as she watched Foulques sit down and sink his face into his palm, she suspected her father felt differently.

1100_Gerard_rebellion_for_Geoffrey.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
At this rate Geoffrey may one day be able to usurp France at the rate he is going (and after the inheritance from his father).

Great to see Agnes here - great to see the nerveous inner self, and the more assured self the rest of the world largely sees.

Foulques ... I think Foulques has a fierce pride for a daughter he does not truly know how to express.

Reactions:
I must say I have noticed both in your own and @Asantahene works something I hadn't really noticed before when reading and its sorta just twigged as a way to add more depth to my characters.............. you both use asides and whilst I do write what my characters are sort of thinking its only descriptive or as a part of how they view the action in away...never as a direct aside to themselves

• 1Like
Reactions:
Geoffrey's chapter in this story would likely be one that is filled with more intrigue and deals made in dark shadows rather than tales of glory and wanton lust.

You should marry off Agnes to a Viking, she'd make a fine shield maiden!

Reactions:
Another masterful performance from Agnes. She's turning into a real unsung hero of the Angevins.

There's an interesting contrast between how Foulques's two children have responded to the situation at hand: Agnes, the loyal daughter, drops everything to rush to her father's aid out of a sense of duty and even exposes herself (however briefly) to the hazards of war to turn the tide, while Geoffrey sits back and lets the chaos unfold while watching for opportunities to pounce on (discreetly, through others' agency) to his own gain. Both of them are very much their father's children, though in quite different aspects.

Reactions:
I have truly liked these chapters, Agnes has grown a lot and even "led" an army! Geoffrey never fails to impress and Foulques appear relieved and proud of Agnes.

Reactions:
Ah, you old trickster JabberJock! :D The double-bluff got a good many of us, I vouchsafe! :cool: A plot device can clearly cut both ways, and you wielded the blade here more as a fencer than in the hack and slash of battle. Bravo for that, and a rousing ‘huzzah’ to Agnes for the battle and St Joan cameo ;).

For her also to show such non-Foulques-like restraint after the battle (even if the good conscience of Alearde was needed to keep her strong) added some gloss to her image with us as well - the lead up clearly has us wondering :rolleyes:. Though who knows what may happen later, she cannot completely escape her heredity and her past, can she? I know your answer to that “we shall see ...” :p

I get the feeling Agnes may be your favourite character at the now - I hope the future is as kind to her as one might expect in this fickle and often brutal world. Thanks for another riveting chapter and story arc - well done sir!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I must say I have noticed both in your own and @Asantahene works something I hadn't really noticed before when reading and its sorta just twigged as a way to add more depth to my characters.............. you both use asides and whilst I do write what my characters are sort of thinking its only descriptive or as a part of how they view the action in away...never as a direct aside to themselves
A good point well made, Jasondroth24. The internal conversation can be a very useful device when you want to explain a plan, concern or motivation without having to devise some clunky conversation with another character. Especially if it’s about doubts one is having but tries not to show to others. It’s realistic too - we do it every day ourselves, so it seems fair the characters should too :).

More villains should use the internal conversation instead of boastfully revealing their nefarious plans to captured heroes, just before they escape then use it against them! :D But then again, many a Batman episode or adventure movie plot would be ruined without the boastful evildoer’s reveal ;)

Reactions:
good thing Geoffrey still could conquer lands in Brittany, instead of more French duchies

A good point well made, Jasondroth24. The internal conversation can be a very useful device when you want to explain a plan, concern or motivation without having to devise some clunky conversation with another character. Especially if it’s about doubts one is having but tries not to show to others. It’s realistic too - we do it every day ourselves, so it seems fair the characters should too :).

More villains should use the internal conversation instead of boastfully revealing their nefarious plans to captured heroes, just before they escape then use it against them! :D But then again, many a Batman episode or adventure movie plot would be ruined without the boastful evildoer’s reveal ;)

Yeah totally agree......I read both of their updates and they flow nicer because of those asides....clunky is exactly the word I wanted, it reveals more about the character without the need for unnecessary conversations and your right again, it is very very natural, we do it all day every day but my characters never really have done it. I try to write what they are thinking but its always separate from them in away, not a direct speech to themselves and I have just written a piece with one line of it an it feels better already

• 1Like
Reactions: