• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's a good example of how simply being able to really see things from another person's point of view is essential to understanding and sympathising with them. Not just in literature but in life. For example, some academic lawyers where I live did a study into juries - the short summary is that there is a general sentiment among people that judges are too soft on criminals. However, very few people who sit on juries feel that the judge was too soft in their case. Even people who have done really bad things become more sympathetic when you are really able to see things from their perspective.

So I think it is the sign of a good writer (and indeed a good lawyer) when they are able to get you to see someone like Foulques as sympathetic.

As always I eagerly await the next chapter.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As always, history is written by the victors, or the authAAR in this case. It depends on the perspective. Should Phillippe and Foulques emerge victorious, he would be (and is being) written as a flawed man, one whose transgressions against the nobility of the realm and the teachings of the church were forgiven by virtue of his steadfast loyalty to the crown, the conventional order of the day, and his largely successful military exploits and accomplishments.

However, Count Bouchard, the long since deposed Duke Geoffrey the elder, the Duchess Marguerite, and the late and unlamented Adhemar de Limoges would write his story entirely differently, probably using his nephew Gilles' lechery, his friendship with Phillip of Champagne and the rebellions (they were undoubtedly in cahoots, you know... Foulques using his power and influence to blind the King to the truth ;)) and Duke Geoffrey the younger's usurpation of the duchy of Aquitaine as supporting documentation for their castigation of the family as a whole.

My personal view on Foulques is that of a wholly unsavory character whose actions are driven entirely by self interest, and those interests have simply happened to align with those of the King for the entirety of his life in the spotlight thus far. He is a seemingly loyal dog, yet one whose bite will prove far worse to his master than their enemies, should it ever come to pass that their interests no longer align so closely.

Not that it's not a great story, and "all too human" characters make the best protagonists by far. I thoroughly enjoy every update and I deeply admire Foulques and what he's achieved when looked at from a pure upward mobility perspective. It's pretty telling that "possibly the least worst of" is about the best we can say about him in comparison with the other Dukes of France.

Looking forward to the next update.

You are right in that virtues and flaws would be very much written by the winners - even centuries after the fact. I've heard King John was sometimes thought of decently enough and at other times, England's greatest monster, just based on the policy the monarch at the time was pushing.

Suffice to say, you lay it well. Plenty there to make him look like a heroic man with faults, and plenty of other to paint him a monster. I can imagine Foulques specifically would get very nice treatment from a king in the future - though why I'll have to keep silent for now.

Personally, I think he's not as bad as Gilles and Alberic. But everyone else, Phillip of Champagne included, is fair game as a comparison.

It's a good example of how simply being able to really see things from another person's point of view is essential to understanding and sympathising with them. Not just in literature but in life. For example, some academic lawyers where I live did a study into juries - the short summary is that there is a general sentiment among people that judges are too soft on criminals. However, very few people who sit on juries feel that the judge was too soft in their case. Even people who have done really bad things become more sympathetic when you are really able to see things from their perspective.

So I think it is the sign of a good writer (and indeed a good lawyer) when they are able to get you to see someone like Foulques as sympathetic.

As always I eagerly await the next chapter.

That is why I think third-person limited, combined with a bit of unreliable narration can be a powerful tool. It provides perspective and gives rationale to actions we would not agree with normally. But also why an occasional chapter like this from another point of view is useful - a reminder that Foulques' view of himself is naturally distorted. Agnes' view of him is as well - but it is at least a situation where we saw how other people view Foulques away from him.

Thanks for your extra feedback and glad you both are ready for the next chapter, as it's set to go up now. It took a little longer than I expected as when I looked at a screenshot, I realized I needed a slight change. But this is one of the major events that is going to drastically shake the realm going forward. Nothing I did, but once it happened, it was impossible not to get swept along for the ride. And like I said, another one of these is coming soon enough.

Hope you enjoy.

Reactions:
Chapter 99 - September 1099
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 99
September 1099 - Melun, France

Foulques sipped his wine. It tasted particularly sweet today. Perhaps it had aged just the right amount. Or his previous meal had prepared him properly for it.

Or perhaps, it was just the situation.

He had just met with a messenger from the Angevin army, which had been stationed near Bourges. Herve had routed the forces of Duke Gilles once more.

The cousins had met months before in Normandy, battling in Lillebonne. Or, more appropriately, Herve had met his cousin’s forces. But Gilles was nowhere to be found - he apparently did not command his armies in the field and was not even with his men. Instead, he sat in his keep in Bourges while Herve routed the Count of Mallorca.

1099_Battle_of_Lillebonne.jpg

1099_Herve_commands_at_Lillebonne.jpg

Foulques could not resist a laugh when he had heard that, it was so pathetic in his eyes. Leading a rebellion against the king and you don’t even join your men?

Sensing an opportunity to twist the knife, Foulques had visited the men outside Deols, along with his daughter Agnes, as if to flaunt to his nephew on how a proper leader acts.

He had heard rumors that act, combined with the defeat in Lillebonne, had started to bring dissention among those in Gilles camp. Mallorca, who already had a dislike of Gilles due to the younger man’s affair with his wife, was vocally the most discontent, but they were all in too deep now to abandon the cause.

But Foulques wondered what might happen now that Herve had defeated Mallorca again, especially now that he reported back to Foulques that he planned to lay siege to Gilles’ keep in Bourges and the count’s own holdings were under siege from the king’s forces.

1099_Battle_of_Deols.jpg

1099_Herve_victory_at_Deols.jpg

“You look pleased, husband.”

Foulques looked toward Ness, who lay naked in the bed. He was pleased - too pleased to bother to reprimand her for using that term again. He had warned her against it - Agnes’ complaints had not fallen completely on deaf ears. But why sully a good moment like this?

Instead he handed her a cup of wine. “My nephew is fast learning what truly being my enemy means.”

“Another victory?” Ness asked.

“Yes, and now Herve makes for the keep in Bourges itself. Perhaps Gilles will find himself in chains, sooner, rather than later,” Foulques said.

“Good,” Ness said as she took a drink. “He is a disgusting man. The pain he inflicts on my poor aunt. I hear she is miserable. I just hope the king will show pity on her and her family. It is not as if they are responsible for Gilles’ foolishness.”

Foulques could have said something - he did not care what happened to Peronelle. She had annoyed him greatly with her dismissal of Aines years before when the latter had broached the subject of Gilles over Agnes. But… he decided to bring the cup of wine to his lips instead.

“Perhaps I should go,” Foulques said. “Take command of the siege. Perhaps I could drag Gilles to Melun in chains myself.”

Ness arched her brow before pursing her lips. “But then you would leave me all alone, just as winter approaches. I like being kept warm at night.”

She removed the covers to expose herself. Foulques smirked as he looked over her body - thicker, more womanly than before she had birthed their son, who was now with a wet nurse. It was a body that reminded him more than ever of her mother.

A momentary ill feeling came over him at the thought. But he quickly pushed it from his mind, tossed off his shirt, and climbed back into bed.

But a knock at the door interrupted matters.

Ness pulled at him to stay but Foulques tossed back on his long shirt and walked to the door. When he opened it to peak out, he saw no one present. As he opened the door wider to look down the hall, he nearly tripped over the dwarf physician, Jaspert.

“The king wishes to see you,” Jaspert said. “The matter is urgent.”

“What does it concern?” Foulques asked.

“He will explain when you join him,” Jaspert said. “His strategy hall.”

Jaspert looked back into the room, where Ness was now covered underneath the sheets. He glanced back up at Foulques.

“When you make yourself proper,” Jaspert said. “Do not dally for your… woman.”

“I will come when I come,” Foulques said.

He closed the door in Jaspert’s face.

The dwarf had ascended in importance in recent months. He had plotted the king’s escape from financial crisis - he suggested the king borrow from assorted Jewish moneylenders. Then, as per the next part of the plan, the king expelled the Jews from his lands to avoid repaying the loans - that included Natroi. In one swoop, the dwarf had proven his worth to the king and opened up the role of spymaster, which he filled himself.

1099_Jaspert.jpg

1099_Jaspert_made_spymaster.jpg

Foulques had not fully trusted Natroi, but Jaspert was hardly better. The dwarf who had cured Foulques of his Great Pox… at the expense of his face, the duke felt as if his “gifts” frequently came with prices.

“You don’t plan on listening to that thing, do you?” Ness demanded.

“If the king requires me, then I must go,” Foulques said. “It is urgent.”

Ness rolled her eyes. “You gift the king 6,000 men to fight his wars. He can wait. He will wait.”

Foulques eyed her. “You speak of defying a king.”

“I speak of the most powerful man in the realm refusing to drop what he is doing to answer the king’s beck and call,” Ness said. “What will he do? More importantly, what will he do if you were to take your men from Gilles’ keep and send them home.”

The serious look on her face - she looked so much like her mother. Foulques smirked and tossed off his shirt. He rejoined her in the bed, ready to ravish her once more.

….

A little while later Foulques made his way to the strategy hall. He found the king seated, with Jaspert by his side. Also present was the Duke of Toulouse, who scowled as he made eye contact with Foulques.

“Duke Foulques!” Philippe exclaimed. “I am glad you could finally take the time to pull yourself away from the Duchess to join us. Guilhem here has been waiting for quite some time for us to begin.”

Foulques narrowed his gaze at Jaspert before holding his hands out toward Toulouse.

“My apologies, my friend,” Foulques said.

“I just wonder what this is about,” Toulouse said. “I have stood here and nary a word as to the reason for this meeting, and why it requires both of us to be present at the same time.”

The king looked to Jaspert. “They both here now. Tell them.”

The dwarf looked up at the two men. “Alberic, Duke of Gascony of Poitou, is dead. Killed while hunting a few days ago.”

Foulques felt his stomach drop. He almost did not believe he heard the words correctly. A glance toward Toulouse revealed his peer to be wide-eyed and pale, suggesting there was no mistake.

1099_Alberic_dies.jpg

“Did you say… Alberic is dead?” Foulques asked.

“How?” Toulouse asked.

“He fell from his horse,” Jaspert said. “Unfortunately, he did not fully detach from the beast when he fell… he hit the ground and then was dragged.”

Foulques grimaced at the thought. An unpleasant way to go.

“An accident?” Toulouse asked.

“It appeared that way at first,” Jaspert said. “But his saddle and stirrups were not properly fastened. Something with the cinches. Then the stable hand who had prepared it was found dead a day later.”

“Then a murder?” Foulques asked. Jaspert and the king nodded.

“He was not the most well-liked man,” Toulouse said.

“An understatement, that,” Foulques blurted out.

Philippe stroked his beard. “Both of you are correct. Yet he was a duke of this realm. And an agent of the crown. Am I to just look the other way at this?”

“Do you know who did this, my king?” Toulouse asked.

“We have looked at those which much to gain,” Jaspert said. “The Count of Bourbon and the Lady of La Marche had their war turn against them and did fight for the Lady Patricia, who now stands to ascend as the Duchess of Poitou.”

“Makes sense,” Foulques said. “Alberic would have given them to the headsman, if they were lucky.”

“It could also have been Duke Gilles and the Duchess Peronelle,” Jaspert noted. “The Duchess would inherit Gascony.”

“She could throw her new lands into the rebellion,” Toulouse said.

“Something we watch for,” Jaspert said.

“So it is between those two then?” Foulques asked.

“There are more,” Jaspert said. “The Lady Patricia becomes Duchess of Poitou. Your younger brother is her consort, Duke Guilhem. You have kept her at your keep, have you not?”

“I have refused to turn her over to Alberic, yes,” Toulouse said. He eyed the dwarf then the king. “Do you accuse me of having something to do with this?”

“We only state that you had something to gain,” Jaspert said.

“I gain little from my sister by law gaining the title,” Toulouse said. “If I did, I would have raised my levies and crushed Alberic. That I did not should show you my innocence in this matter.”

“I see,” Philippe said. “And what do you think of that Duke Foulques?”

Foulques looked to Toulouse. He knew the man wanted to pick up the pieces of Alberic’s failure as a ruler. And he “backed” Patricia’s claim on Gascony - and likely was pleased that it was her and not Geoffrey who stood to benefit.

But Foulques agreed with his reasoning - Toulouse was a man who raised his levies to attack the Emperor. If he truly wished Alberic gone, he would have simply crushed him.

“I think Toulouse speaks the truth,” Foulques said. “It would have been no bother to defeat Alberic, given his struggles against weaker foes, and his own rebellions.”

“That is true,” Philippe said. “Perhaps we should look to that other Lord who may well benefit from this.”

“Other lord?” Toulouse asked.

“The Duke of Aquitaine,” Jaspert said. “Your son, Duke Foulques.”

Foulques again felt his stomach drop. “What of Geoffrey?”

“There have been talk among the lords of Poitou that Geoffrey is preferred over Alberic, or even Patricia,” Jaspert said. “I would suspect those cries will grow louder now - he already has support of the Count of Thouars.”

“It would seem that with Alberic dead, the path is there for Geoffrey to seize both Aquitaine and Poitou,” Philippe said. “And… when you leave us, old friend, Anjou as well.”

“One must wonder then,” Jaspert said. “Could it have been Geoffrey? And could he have had help from someone close by?”

Foulques narrowed his gaze at Jaspert, but then turned it on the king. “If you have an accusation, my king, let me hear it. I will not defend myself against rumors.”

“My king,” Toulouse said. “I do not think Duke Foulques is involved in this in any way. If you remember, when Geoffrey hatched his scheme to take Aquitaine, he did not make his father aware. I do not think they get along well enough for such things.”

“My business with Geoffrey is not of your concern,” Foulques told Toulouse. He looked back toward the king. “Do you have any evidence of his involvement?”

“There’s talk…” Jaspert said. “They say that he and the rebellious counts of Alberic planned it together. That, since he beds the Countess of La Marche’s sister, she has acted as a go-between for them.”

“I have heard… of some communication between Geoffrey and the Lady of La Marche,” Toulouse said.

“Talk? There’s talk of almost everything if you listen hard enough,” Foulques said. “What is this truly about? Do you fear my son growing too powerful? Perhaps he should - the protection of these lands seem to fall heavily on our family these days.”

“You will mind your words, Duke Foulques,” Philippe said. “I put up with much from you, but you are not king.”

“You should be grateful I have never wished to be,” Foulques said.

“That is enough!” Philippe said as he stood from his chair.

“You accuse me, after all of these years, and my son,” Foulques replied. “And you say that is enough.”

“There is one man in this room who is known to have orchestrated a murder,” Jaspert added.

Foulques looked at them. Was this a trap? Did they mean to arrest him, to curb his influence? He glared at Jaspert. If it was… it was not the king who did this.

It had to be the dwarf, twisting his mind.

“If you wish to hold me as if I have committed this crime,” Foulques said, “then please, do it. Throw me in the dungeons. Make an example of what reward is received by those who not only stand by the king through rebellions, terrifying odds and calls of tyranny… but also raises his own levy, going beyond his obligations, in the king’s defense.”

Foulques waited for it - to hear the sound of boots coming from behind to take him away in chains. In that moment he imagined it - him being hauled off, the decision being made on what to do next. Perhaps Agnes would rebel in his name - maybe she and Geoffrey would do so together. Maybe they would barter for his freedom? No… Philippe if he went down this road could never release him. This would be it - he would end his days in a cell. Like Bouchard.

It is not how the hero of Rouen should die.

Jaspert looked at the king, who shook his head.

“My friend, we do not seek to go that far,” Philippe said. “The murder of Alberic has us all on edge. It is a tragic thing in an already troubling time.”

“So what is to be done?” Foulques demanded. “Will you call my son to face you for these accusations?”

“I have not decided yet,” Philippe said. “But rest assured, I do not believe you to have been a part of this.”

“But you think he is,” Foulques said.

“We will continue our investigations,” Jaspert said.

“Then continue them,” Foulques said. “But do not summon me so you can spout nonsense in hopes of stumbling on to something.”

“When you are summoned, Duke Foulques,” Philippe said. “You will come.”

Foulques did not respond for a moment, choosing instead to stare at the king. The sound of the Duke’s heavy breathing fill the room. He was livid. He wished to lash out and tell the king what a pathetic weakling he was, and how if he pulled his support, his realm would crumble beneath him.

“As you say, my king,” Foulques replied.

He did not bow, and stormed out of the strategy hall, seething.

They are all snakes.

The king deserved his contempt. The dwarf was a schemer, out to make certain no one but he had influence on Philippe. Toulouse looked for a means to undercut Geoffrey.

And Geoffrey… this mess could easily have been of his creation. It would not surprise him at all to learn that his son had orchestrated this, in hopes of destabilizing Poitou and Gascony further. And then leave Foulques to take the brunt of any pushback from it.

Insolent boy.

When he arrived back at his chambers, Ness sat in his chair, drinking some wine. Her eyes widened when she saw him, the door slamming behind him.

“What is wrong, husband?” she asked.

“Do not call me that!” he shouted at her. “You are not my wife. No matter how much you pretend!”

Ness’ mouth hung open. She pushed herself up and moved quickly to the door. But she stopped at it, and turned back. Slowly, she approached him.

“The meeting… it did not go well then?” she asked.

He looked at her. “Alberic is murdered.”

Her eyes widened once more. “My uncle Alberic? That... I… where?”

“While hunting,” Foulques said. “Throne from his horse. But they find it suspicious. They think Geoffrey responsible.”

Ness shook her head. “It would not surprise me.”

“I will not have you throw accusations as well,” Foulques warned her.

“I… I just stated it would not surprise me,” Ness said. “I do not know of his involvement, if it exists.”

Foulques grunted and poured himself some wine. “They are all snakes. Ungrateful. Untrustworthy. And the dwarf poisons the king’s mind.”

“How?” Ness asked.

“I know not what he whispers,” Foulques said. “But he drove off the Jew, Natroi. Perhaps he sees me next.”

“The Jew served at the king’s whim,” Ness said. “You, my love, do not.”

She pressed herself against him, practically forcing herself into his arms. He obliged, wrapping his arms around her torso, pulling her backside up against his front.

“You speak as if I rule,” he said to her. She looked up to him and smiled.

“Not in name. But if Philippe wishes to keep his crown, he must let you do as you please,” Ness said. “It is no secret. The queen thinks better of you than he at the moment for that reason.”

“Which is why he may wish to weaken me,” Foulques said.

“In time, perhaps. But can he afford to now?” Ness asked.

He could not. But then, he couldn’t afford to continue the war in Valencia either, and had anyway, until it simply became impossible to win...

“Alberic is dead,” Ness repeated. “Who inherits? He had no children.”

“His remaining sisters,” Foulques said. “Your aunts.”

“That… it should not be them,” Ness said. “It should me myself and Marguerite!”

“What?”

“My mother was grandfather’s eldest daughter, Alberic’s eldest sister” Ness said. “If she were alive, she would inherit at least one of those duchies. As her daughters, we should inherit both.”

Foulques stroked his beard. She had a point.

“You have a brother,” Foulques said. “What of him?”

“Him? Why he might be your son, for all we know,” Ness said. “Not legitimate…”

She did not believe that. But it was an convenient lie for her to bypass the young Adhemar.

“You seek for me to press your claim against Patricia and Peronelle,” Foulques said.

“I do not say to do anything,” Ness said. “But… then I would be your true Duchess, and our son would stand to inherit whatever you won for him. And…”

She brought his hands to her breasts.

“Who knows? We may need to have a duchy for more than one child, one day.”

….

Foulques did not leave his chamber much the next week

He had little desire to interact with anyone in the keep beside Ness, who remained with him throughout. The little pixie had endless energy - even he found himself worn out after time.

Her desires were obvious - she wanted him to press her claim. She also clearly wished to become pregnant once more - as if that would cement her status.

To her credit, Foulques had grown more and more enchanted by the idea. Perhaps it might be time to start exploring ways to make the girl his actual wife, and then work to install her in Gascony at least, if not Poitou as well.

Just the thought of it might just scare Geoffrey into learning to respect his place - he might be heir to Anjou, but he was not Duke yet.

There was a knock on the door. This time it was Hugues of Burgundy telling him the king wished to see him in private, in his chambers.

“Do you think it is a trap?” Ness asked.

“We shall see,” Foulques admitted. “He is bolder than we give him credit for if so.”

He noticed her confident appearance appeared more uncertain now. She looked quite pale. He kissed her deeply.

“You need not worry,” he told her. “I think you read it well… wife.”

A small smile came to Ness’ lips as she replied with a kiss of her own.

He left her and walked the hallways of the keep. When he arrived, Foulques found the king alone in his chambers. If it was a trap, it was well hidden.

“What did you wish of me?” Foulques demanded.

Philippe offered him a cup of wine. Foulques took it, but looked at the content of the cup. He did not trust the dwarf at all.

“The matter over Alberic,” Philippe said. “I believe we all handled it poorly, my friend.”

“You have always done this,” Foulques said. “Even when it was others who schemed, I am the one who you mistrust.”

“I simply look at you and wonder why you have stood by me,” Philippe said. “I can see no other reason than because you wish to remake the realm but hope that I can be your shield as you do so.”

“I care little for the realm itself,” Foulques said. “I just wish to ensure my family’s future.”

“Which is why it makes sense for you to have killed Alberic,” Philippe said. “You have killed for less.”

Foulques shook his head. “Again with this? Just accuse me, and be done with it. It will be best for both of us to end the charade.”

Philippe sighed. “I will not accuse you because I do not believe you guilty. Your son on the other hand… I think him involved. News has filtered out and already there is momentum gathering in Poitou for him. It may come to blows. If it does, the Duchess Patricia will face difficulties in retaining her inheritance in the face of such resistance.”

“If you think Geoffrey involved, you will summon him here?” Foulques asked.

“That would be the thing to do,” Philippe said. “It is what Jaspert wishes - no man is above the king’s authority. But… that will not be the thing I shall do.”

Foulques looked at Philippe. “Why?”

“You have always been a man who has been blunt with me, so I will honor you by doing the same,” Philippe said. “Because you raise your levy to fight for me. If the other dukes wish that influence, then they should have gone above and beyond, as you have.”

Foulques was speechless. The king… he had seen through the deception after all. And he had not forgotten or taken for granted what Foulques had given him.

“It… it is appreciated, my king,” Foulques replied.

“Yes,” Philippe said. “Now, I would appreciate if you saw how disrespectful you were to me in front of Toulouse.”

“You tried to play us against one another,” Foulques said. “Jaspert again? Or you?”

“Both,” Philippe said. “I wished to see how you both would react.”

“Then you did,” Foulques said.

“It does not excuse your behavior,” Philippe said. “We may have our disagreements, but I command a certain level of respect.”

Foulques could not resist a chuckle. He did and didn’t deserve it. But he replied with: “I am sorry for my outburst, my king. As you said, the situation had us all in foul moods.”

Philippe smiled. “You have grown better at fighting battles without swords and lances.”

“Or you have gotten worse,” Foulques said.

It drew a shake of the head from the king, but a raise of his cup as well.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
These last few chalters have been quite good, and the way you portray the maneuvering as well.

While it might not be Foulques, I could definitely see the House of Anjou making a grab for the French crown, especially since Geoffrey seems ambitious enough, and there seems to be little provocation from the English.

I think Foulques is also a little unpredictable beyond a desire for power for himslef and his family, after all he was merciful to Aubry Karling

Reactions:
There is so much packed away in this update. You know, this goes right up there as one of the best posts of the AAR. There is so much going on - and so little.

I mean, on the face of it we have a lord and his lover talking. Four men talking. The Lord and his lover again, and finally the lord and his King. Just talking, only talking. No one dies - only by report. Under the surface though ...

So much going on.

There is Foulques - there is always Foulques. We see him happy, we see him aggrieved. We even so him ... well, satisfied is not quite the right word ... assured of his place maybe a better phrase. There is Ness, pushing, scheming, but also with her own pride and her own ... value. The King and his suspicions, his cloudy sight but also his clear sight. And Toulouse of course, even the dwarf.

This is a post about relationships. Foulques and Ness on hand, and Foulques and the King on the other - it is impossible not to compare and contrast. But Foulques' relationships with both Agnes and Geoffrey are brought to prominence in his mind as well. Then there is Foulques with Toulouse, the King with his dwarf. Even Bouchard figures. We go right back to the beginning.

If I can find the time I would love to go back and examine this post in more detail.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Simply fantastic update. I agree with @stnylan this time, easily one of the best posts of the entire AAR. I like how it highlights how far the Kingdom has fallen into deceit and treachery - everyone is jumping at shadows where there are none. "Died in an accident" is usually the result of an event chain, not a murder plot (suspicious circumstances). Nobody is guilty of anything, but everyone is accusing everyone else of having something to do with it happening. Alberic was simply that hated. And there is so much distrust.

As much as Foulques dislikes Jaspert (with good cause I might add) he's given the King extremely solid advice thus far. Borrowing money from the Jews and banishing them from the realm is a player basic play for easy money, but an AI advanced tactic. Full points for the bonus councilor slot as motive. Yet more intrigue and distrust.

It's amusing in the extreme that Foulques could probably destroy the levies of both rebellions on his own regardless of what the King chooses to do - Herve is proving to be quite able and effective as a commander. Promote ahead of peers and give that man a county when the time comes. Even more amusing is that he could do that and then rebel himself if he so chose.

Well done.

Reactions:
To echo the above - that stands as one the best chapters in the whole AAR. I will also be going back to reread. Something that came to mind at the end - I read the chapter assuming Foulques was innocent of Alberic's murder since it's the first we heard of it. Then I realised that the last three chapters have all been from Agnes' perspective... and especially given our author's recent mention of unreliable narration...

I particularly enjoyed the reactions of Foulques and Ness when they referred to one another as husband and wife. Foulques initial reluctance to chastise her for it spoke to his character - he knows it isn't correct but he'd prefer to just go with it to make the moment more enjoyable than make it clear that she should not call him that. Then when he is angry he does chastise her for it, although even then she clearly knows it's not actually motivated by him not wanting her to call him 'husband'. So not only does he fail to call her on it mosto f the time, when he does it's implicitly about something else and so not convincing. You can almost see Foulques allowing himself to be manipulated by her because he simply enjoys it, and now with the prospect of going to war again to actually recapture more past glories - he is even calling her wife.

Just brilliant.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As others have said you have embued not a lot with a huge amount and for that you should be commended sir. Fantastic update. My abiding thought is just how far the king has fallen and how much he seems to want to press his authority through protocol...pathetic. But Foulques plays the game the ultimate survivor. I do wonder, however, at what point he’ll realise that if he alone can solve the realm’s problems through might, he might as well tilt at the crown himself.

Reactions:
From the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me if Geoffrey and Toulouse are already in secret talks about plans to have the former take over France when Foulques dies, murder pretty much everyone currently in office and then help Toulous against the emperor. Indeed, if foulques were any younger than he is, I bet he would at least put serious of sideration into it at this point, if only because everyone in the realm him isn't already allied with him or dead has pissed him off...and at this point, he can take all of them down at once if he really wanted to try.

With half of France utterly ruined and the other half about to be inherited by a scheming, brilliant young soldier whom hates and is hated by pretty much everyone else in France...yeah, at this point I expect Geoffrey to usurp the throne at some point, unless he actually is guilty, brought justice and exiled to England (that's what it would take to make them go after England now I think...unless France gets even more messed up and they go back to the original plan of finding a way out).

And Ness actually is a schemer of sorts and not a very subtle one. Still, it's a dangerus game to stack even more duchies into your family and not under one son either...planning for your bastard children to inherit areas your actual heir is interested in is just moronic. If he's not careful, duke folques is going to be demonised by his own family historians after they've established a royal dynasty (lord knows, they have to get back into the church's good books somehow once they get a crown somewhere).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Schemes over schemes - who is the puppet, who is the master, is there anyone who can achieve his goal? In this web, I just see a few people who actually stand to get what they want, and they aren't the suspects most closely involved.

Jaspert has gotten his way once, but he likely won't rise much higher. But he's sowing distrust and presenting himself as both target and man to be avoided - a good move from the heretic, ugly dwarf.
Philippe and Foulques are once again saved somehow in their relation due to the bluntness which has been apparent in most of their early contacts.
Alberic is dead, and the vultures are circling - I would include Toulouse and Geoffrey.
As for Ness, if she believes there's a good future in front of her, I see a far darker one. Foulques is old, and even if she was to get her way - first Gilles has to give up, then a war fought for Poitou. And I would expect Foulques to die in that period, which would leave Geoffrey in a war he doesn't want to fight for someone who claims one of the titles he would want for himself. For a man who everyone expects not to hesitate about murder, a very dangerous situation for 'the Duchess'.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ugh, Ness is...I don't like her one bit. And I don't trust her as far as I can throw her. She's scheming, and I doubt she even loves Foulques. Ideally she'd punish him for what he's done to her and her family, and install her own brood on top of a Duchy to boot. It would be the ultimate victory for her. Disgusting! But, logical...and therefore well-written.

Hope Agnes and Alearde can scheme something in return, for I doubt Foulques is intelligent enough. And we haven't seen much of Geoffrey lately, will he feature soon? Guessing from what I've just read I think yes, but one can never be sure.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As said above, Jaspert cannot rise higher, and there's good odds that he'll be replaced in turn having no lands or real allies to back him. But he can act as a spoiler, a duke-unmaker.

If Ness doesn't have the greedy or ambitious trait, I'd be surprised! She's blatant about her ambitions and is seemingly insatiable. And Foulkes is at least someway smitten with her and is playing along for now, damn the consequences.

The future of France does not belong to the royal house, except at the whim and for the convenience of Toulouse and Anjou. And everyone who matters knows it.

A great chapter.

Reactions:
it reminds me of the LoftR - two towers while the King of Rohan had his mind poisoned... it is good to see Phillipe is better... or Jaspert just worse than Grima

• 1Like
Reactions:
Still trying to get my head around everything that happened in this chapter. Schemes and plots everywhere. Jaspert may have the king's ear now but I have a feeling that his time in the spotlight maybe short. If the kings dies or is usurped Jaspert will find himself replaced and answering to those he offended. Foulques is his usual self. Quick to anger but pulls himself back when he is at the edge of the abyss. I like how in the beginning Foulques and Ness are all lovey dovey and then toward the end he snaps at her. Ness is laso a schemer and uses that to give Foulques something to think about and a path he should not walk down. Ness is too naive about how the game is played and to me will make a monumental mistake.

• 1Like
Reactions:
They play back and forth against each other as of times of yore - but you convey well a feeling of that times having worn out and degraded the game and all its players. Each war seemingly smaller, more tawdry and petty than the last. The dukes collectively less grand. The king ever weaker and more dissolute. A Poison Dwarf whispering in the king’s ear as a high councillor.

It has the feel of an old timepiece, overwound and unrepaired, the spring about to break. Or a copy of a copy of a copy, each one weaker than the last, until they become a parody of the original. And to thoroughly mix the metaphors, the whole rotten edifice must surely collapse soon. Will it fall down into squalor and chaos, or be swept away to be rebuilt? Only our author knows - and I’m sure that secret will be well kept!

Waiting with interest as the characters continue their long trek through purgatory.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Once again I feel as though everyone else has said what I really want to say already. Echoing @stnylan in particular, it is abundantly clear that there is enough going on in this one chapter that we could have days' worth of discussion trying to unpack it all.

Once again Foulques and Philippe fall into the same old pattern: Philippe gets Foulques alone and makes an outrageous implication to put Foulques off-balance and gauge his reaction, Foulques seethes at the apparent betrayal, and Philippe reels him back in to smooth things over and reaffirm their relationship. As often as they dance this particular dance, you'd think Foulques would eventually clue in to what's going on -- but then, perhaps the fact that he doesn't is what Philippe counts on to reassure himself of his marshal's honesty.

Re Ness: Others have touched on it a little, but I do think that she's betrayed her true intentions here, and she's more like her mother than she'd ever admit to being (though she certainly doesn't have Aines's grace and finesse). Deep down, I think she still wants to ruin Foulques and Geoffrey, and the best way to go about doing that is to pit them against each other. Geoffrey has made no secret of his ambitions, nor has Foulques particularly hidden his disdain for his son's insolence, and a lover's child makes for a potent bit of leverage.

• 1Like
Reactions:
These last few chalters have been quite good, and the way you portray the maneuvering as well.

While it might not be Foulques, I could definitely see the House of Anjou making a grab for the French crown, especially since Geoffrey seems ambitious enough, and there seems to be little provocation from the English.

I think Foulques is also a little unpredictable beyond a desire for power for himslef and his family, after all he was merciful to Aubry Karling

Foulques I've meant to play historically to a degree, and he did not become king in real life. Therefore, I did not aim to make him a king in game. However, in real life, Foulques' son (Foulques V) became King of Jerusalem. His grandson Geoffrey Plantagenet was consort to the Queen of England (at least by claim). His great grandson *was* the king of England (Henry II). Obviously, those characters won't quite exist in this story, but there will be royalty decisions to be made in his future.

There is so much packed away in this update. You know, this goes right up there as one of the best posts of the AAR. There is so much going on - and so little.

I mean, on the face of it we have a lord and his lover talking. Four men talking. The Lord and his lover again, and finally the lord and his King. Just talking, only talking. No one dies - only by report. Under the surface though ...

So much going on.

There is Foulques - there is always Foulques. We see him happy, we see him aggrieved. We even so him ... well, satisfied is not quite the right word ... assured of his place maybe a better phrase. There is Ness, pushing, scheming, but also with her own pride and her own ... value. The King and his suspicions, his cloudy sight but also his clear sight. And Toulouse of course, even the dwarf.

This is a post about relationships. Foulques and Ness on hand, and Foulques and the King on the other - it is impossible not to compare and contrast. But Foulques' relationships with both Agnes and Geoffrey are brought to prominence in his mind as well. Then there is Foulques with Toulouse, the King with his dwarf. Even Bouchard figures. We go right back to the beginning.

If I can find the time I would love to go back and examine this post in more detail.

Feel free to go back! (I missed by Saturday update and Monday's is quite late ;) )

Your response made me think of how it would look if I annotated what I was going for with each scene and particular lines. I try not to waste lines, while also not making it too short - as in not natural. We tend to meander and not just get to the point, so being too direct is unrealistic I feel. But being too meandering leads to boring conversation.

But yeah, there ends up being a lot here, because everyone involved carries into it their personal hang ups. The king is wary of the influence both of his dukes gain, dealing with the reality that either they are using him as a shield or scheming to replace him - neither is appealing. Jaspert wishes power. Foulques knows full well his son may well have done it, but also knows it benefits his family in the long run. Toulouse fears a strong Geoffrey, but could also gain (contrary to what he says) if his sister in law is reliant on him to remain in power. And Ness is just trying to make the best of a bad situation for her and her family - while also realizing had things turned out differently with the timing of her mother's death, she may have stood to benefit from Alberic's passing.

That's why I admit that CK2 provides better plot twists than I could have - offing Alberic proved plot gold. Thanks CK2!

Simply fantastic update. I agree with @stnylan this time, easily one of the best posts of the entire AAR. I like how it highlights how far the Kingdom has fallen into deceit and treachery - everyone is jumping at shadows where there are none. "Died in an accident" is usually the result of an event chain, not a murder plot (suspicious circumstances). Nobody is guilty of anything, but everyone is accusing everyone else of having something to do with it happening. Alberic was simply that hated. And there is so much distrust.

As much as Foulques dislikes Jaspert (with good cause I might add) he's given the King extremely solid advice thus far. Borrowing money from the Jews and banishing them from the realm is a player basic play for easy money, but an AI advanced tactic. Full points for the bonus councilor slot as motive. Yet more intrigue and distrust.

It's amusing in the extreme that Foulques could probably destroy the levies of both rebellions on his own regardless of what the King chooses to do - Herve is proving to be quite able and effective as a commander. Promote ahead of peers and give that man a county when the time comes. Even more amusing is that he could do that and then rebel himself if he so chose.

Well done.

Thanks! To be honest I did research on "died in an accident" and I think the jury was still out on it (which is why I had to provide a means for his death which could be both accidental and suspicious). But whether someone did it or not, it suited the situation well. And yes, Alberic was simply hated. Everyone despised him, which is why I could never feel too bad about making him mustache twirling evil. He was never subtle in game, and made enemies of pretty much everyone. I mean, this is a guy who basically had rebellions from the moment he got out of regency, continuing until past his death.

I agree with your take on Jaspert. He is clever and unorthodox (I consider it the way he's survived this long given he is a dwarf) but I wouldn't call him evil. He does what he needs to survive and gave the king solid advice which he was lacking before. And he *did* cure Foulques of the great pox - a point which both men have not forgotten.

Correct, Foulques could destroy both levies, with ease, honestly. But we'll get into that this upcoming chapter.

As for Herve, he's not in bad shape right now. Foulques basically treats him as the son he wishes he had. Geoffrey has spoken how much he wished he could have taken with him to Aquitaine and you'll see him and Agnes interacting in a the very near future. He is very much a member of the family in every way but blood. (Had I had matri-marriage on, I probably would have had him marry an Angevin, but alas).

To echo the above - that stands as one the best chapters in the whole AAR. I will also be going back to reread. Something that came to mind at the end - I read the chapter assuming Foulques was innocent of Alberic's murder since it's the first we heard of it. Then I realised that the last three chapters have all been from Agnes' perspective... and especially given our author's recent mention of unreliable narration...

I particularly enjoyed the reactions of Foulques and Ness when they referred to one another as husband and wife. Foulques initial reluctance to chastise her for it spoke to his character - he knows it isn't correct but he'd prefer to just go with it to make the moment more enjoyable than make it clear that she should not call him that. Then when he is angry he does chastise her for it, although even then she clearly knows it's not actually motivated by him not wanting her to call him 'husband'. So not only does he fail to call her on it mosto f the time, when he does it's implicitly about something else and so not convincing. You can almost see Foulques allowing himself to be manipulated by her because he simply enjoys it, and now with the prospect of going to war again to actually recapture more past glories - he is even calling her wife.

Just brilliant.

Thanks! Ha, that's interesting. I left it open to interpretation whether someone murdered Alberic. I'll say Foulques didn't do it this time, for what it worth. But even mentioning Agnes is funny because it shows how influenced by their own concerns that Jaspert/Philippe focus on Foulques/Geoffrey and Toulouse and overlook her. After all, Agnes once helped with a murder and (though they don't know if it) had Alberic try to force himself on her. With the resources she currently has, she could have easily done it. But they don't even consider her, which shows you their motives.

Foulques and Ness' use of husband and wife was something that came to me as I was playing around with the dialogue for the chapter. I thought it reflective of his mood and how much pretend he was willing to play. Because that's part of the messed up part of their relationship - I can honestly say that Foulques respected Beatritz and Aines (and Alearde, though I'd say his respect for her has grown more after they ended their relationship). But I don't think he does with Ness. I think he sees her as a girl playing dress up as her mother, which suits his twisted fantasies of reclaiming his old glories just fine. If she gets something out of it, then that's an added bonus.

As others have said you have embued not a lot with a huge amount and for that you should be commended sir. Fantastic update. My abiding thought is just how far the king has fallen and how much he seems to want to press his authority through protocol...pathetic. But Foulques plays the game the ultimate survivor. I do wonder, however, at what point he’ll realise that if he alone can solve the realm’s problems through might, he might as well tilt at the crown himself.

Thanks! As for your observation on the king, I agree. That's been a heavy theme I've been pushing in text. Philippe even called himself pathetic a few episodes ago. He know for all he's gained, he overreached due to pride. So while he has massively expanded on what his father left for him (which was basically Melun and Orleans) he is arguably weaker when it comes to his hold on the throne. He is desperately trying to show his power any way he can - 'I could call Geoffrey! But I won't because you've been a good friend (and I'd be finished without you).'

I have very much enjoyed writing Philippe. I like him. But I feel he is a tragic character. (And more is coming on that front)

As for that final question, Foulques himself will address it in this upcoming chapter. But it is one that will continue to plague the Angevins going forward.

From the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me if Geoffrey and Toulouse are already in secret talks about plans to have the former take over France when Foulques dies, murder pretty much everyone currently in office and then help Toulous against the emperor. Indeed, if foulques were any younger than he is, I bet he would at least put serious of sideration into it at this point, if only because everyone in the realm him isn't already allied with him or dead has pissed him off...and at this point, he can take all of them down at once if he really wanted to try.

With half of France utterly ruined and the other half about to be inherited by a scheming, brilliant young soldier whom hates and is hated by pretty much everyone else in France...yeah, at this point I expect Geoffrey to usurp the throne at some point, unless he actually is guilty, brought justice and exiled to England (that's what it would take to make them go after England now I think...unless France gets even more messed up and they go back to the original plan of finding a way out).

And Ness actually is a schemer of sorts and not a very subtle one. Still, it's a dangerus game to stack even more duchies into your family and not under one son either...planning for your bastard children to inherit areas your actual heir is interested in is just moronic. If he's not careful, duke folques is going to be demonised by his own family historians after they've established a royal dynasty (lord knows, they have to get back into the church's good books somehow once they get a crown somewhere).

Murder everyone? Geoffrey has a claim on half of France already and when Foulques dies he probably has the force to take it. OK, that's not quite true. He has Aquitaine, Anjou, with a claim on Poitou. But his wife, as much as he dislikes her, also holds a claim on Gascony, meaning their son could hold France from Anjou to Navarre. Plus, it's now held by Marguerite's aunt, who also happens to be Gilles wife - meaning no self-respecting Angevin could allow their cousins in Bourges to grow in rank and stature! And Foulques may not be looking at Brittany anymore like you are, but Geoffrey is clearly ambitious and will have a substantial force to call on... ;)

I write Ness as a schemer (she's shrewd, so she's got sense) but naive because she's young. Had her mother raised her for longer, she might have been a bit better with her plotting. But then if her mother were still alive, Ness wouldn't have to do this scheming. She'd have been taken care of. Now, her future was and remains very much in the air. And her position is tenuous, as she'll get hints of this upcoming chapter.

Schemes over schemes - who is the puppet, who is the master, is there anyone who can achieve his goal? In this web, I just see a few people who actually stand to get what they want, and they aren't the suspects most closely involved.

Jaspert has gotten his way once, but he likely won't rise much higher. But he's sowing distrust and presenting himself as both target and man to be avoided - a good move from the heretic, ugly dwarf.
Philippe and Foulques are once again saved somehow in their relation due to the bluntness which has been apparent in most of their early contacts.
Alberic is dead, and the vultures are circling - I would include Toulouse and Geoffrey.
As for Ness, if she believes there's a good future in front of her, I see a far darker one. Foulques is old, and even if she was to get her way - first Gilles has to give up, then a war fought for Poitou. And I would expect Foulques to die in that period, which would leave Geoffrey in a war he doesn't want to fight for someone who claims one of the titles he would want for himself. For a man who everyone expects not to hesitate about murder, a very dangerous situation for 'the Duchess'.

Schemes, but I wouldn't call the ones we saw in this chapters good ones. More like desperate ones - Jaspert/Philippe desperately try to play Foulques/Toulouse off each other but only end up alienating them. Ness gets Foulques to consider pressing her claim, but she probably already knows Geoffrey is going to make a play for Poitou.

But she is in a race against time in a way. If she could ever get herself made duchess, she could better position herself for the future. But right now, it is very much tied to Foulques. And she knows it, hence why she prods him to fight for her or find a way to marry her.

Ugh, Ness is...I don't like her one bit. And I don't trust her as far as I can throw her. She's scheming, and I doubt she even loves Foulques. Ideally she'd punish him for what he's done to her and her family, and install her own brood on top of a Duchy to boot. It would be the ultimate victory for her. Disgusting! But, logical...and therefore well-written.

Hope Agnes and Alearde can scheme something in return, for I doubt Foulques is intelligent enough. And we haven't seen much of Geoffrey lately, will he feature soon? Guessing from what I've just read I think yes, but one can never be sure.

I kind of knew this would happen for Ness when I pitted her against Agnes. I don't blame you for not like/trusting Ness and I can't say your assessment is wrong - she wants those things! I feel for her though - she was a child when her father was murdered, her mother was in on it and married his murderer. Then she is put in a position where she in a no-win situation with Foulques. She makes the best of it that she can, but she's young and been through a lot. She's not going to handle things with the greatest of maturity.

But, I have written her in a way where she is not very likable. I hope that I will be able to show her vulnerabilities and make her a touch more sympathetic in the future.

Geoffrey will be seen in the somewhat near future. I thought about using him in this upcoming chapter, but the way it worked out, he just didn't fit. And he won't be in the following chapter. But I aim to get him involved again very soon, as he's not exactly stopping on his ambitions. There's a reason he is drawing the interest of the king these days...

As said above, Jaspert cannot rise higher, and there's good odds that he'll be replaced in turn having no lands or real allies to back him. But he can act as a spoiler, a duke-unmaker.

If Ness doesn't have the greedy or ambitious trait, I'd be surprised! She's blatant about her ambitions and is seemingly insatiable. And Foulkes is at least someway smitten with her and is playing along for now, damn the consequences.

The future of France does not belong to the royal house, except at the whim and for the convenience of Toulouse and Anjou. And everyone who matters knows it.

A great chapter.

Thanks! Interestingly, Philippe has been been big on using spymasters who don't have much power in the realm. His last three were the mayor of Paris, Natroi and Jaspert. I think the king is wise enough to keep away from dukes who get too ambitious. ;)

She actually has shrewd, frail and Midas Touched. No greedy and ambitious, but I think her shrewdness plays a role. She knows she wasn't in a great position to refuse Foulques' advances. And now that she's in this spot, she knows long-term her position is precarious. So she's got to milk it for all it's worth. What better way to secure herself than become a true duchess? (Of course, that's fraught with issues too - just ask the newly installed duchesses of Poitou and Gascony).

Toulouse, Anjou and Champagne? Philipp will be reminding everyone of his presence in the very, very near future.

it reminds me of the LoftR - two towers while the King of Rohan had his mind poisoned... it is good to see Phillipe is better... or Jaspert just worse than Grima

Philippe is not an idiot, but he's always been willing to play his vassals/councilors off one another. But he steps back here when it goes to far. (Or does he? Is he just playing at it to keep Foulques fighting for his approval and influence?)

Still trying to get my head around everything that happened in this chapter. Schemes and plots everywhere. Jaspert may have the king's ear now but I have a feeling that his time in the spotlight maybe short. If the kings dies or is usurped Jaspert will find himself replaced and answering to those he offended. Foulques is his usual self. Quick to anger but pulls himself back when he is at the edge of the abyss. I like how in the beginning Foulques and Ness are all lovey dovey and then toward the end he snaps at her. Ness is laso a schemer and uses that to give Foulques something to think about and a path he should not walk down. Ness is too naive about how the game is played and to me will make a monumental mistake.

You have a very good read on much of the happenings despite trying to get your head around it! Most of what you say here has plenty of merit and some of it may well happen! (I can't confirm which of course, for spoilers sake)

They play back and forth against each other as of times of yore - but you convey well a feeling of that times having worn out and degraded the game and all its players. Each war seemingly smaller, more tawdry and petty than the last. The dukes collectively less grand. The king ever weaker and more dissolute. A Poison Dwarf whispering in the king’s ear as a high councillor.

It has the feel of an old timepiece, overwound and unrepaired, the spring about to break. Or a copy of a copy of a copy, each one weaker than the last, until they become a parody of the original. And to thoroughly mix the metaphors, the whole rotten edifice must surely collapse soon. Will it fall down into squalor and chaos, or be swept away to be rebuilt? Only our author knows - and I’m sure that secret will be well kept!

Waiting with interest as the characters continue their long trek through purgatory.

Thanks! I think a few chapters back I felt the relationship with Ness had almost a high-school drama potential to it. But all of these conflicts stem from long-brewing issues from people who are sick of dealing with them but have no escape from them. Hence desperation to find that magic solution.

But yes, things will be changing. It's been 99! chapters and the realm has changed a great deal over that span. All of our original dukes of France from 1066 are gone except Philippe. If you were to be generous and include Foulques, it is just he and Philippe left. Their time... well, it's finite. And the other dukes on the grand stage are not immune from this either. New players will emerge.

Once again I feel as though everyone else has said what I really want to say already. Echoing @stnylan in particular, it is abundantly clear that there is enough going on in this one chapter that we could have days' worth of discussion trying to unpack it all.

Once again Foulques and Philippe fall into the same old pattern: Philippe gets Foulques alone and makes an outrageous implication to put Foulques off-balance and gauge his reaction, Foulques seethes at the apparent betrayal, and Philippe reels him back in to smooth things over and reaffirm their relationship. As often as they dance this particular dance, you'd think Foulques would eventually clue in to what's going on -- but then, perhaps the fact that he doesn't is what Philippe counts on to reassure himself of his marshal's honesty.

Re Ness: Others have touched on it a little, but I do think that she's betrayed her true intentions here, and she's more like her mother than she'd ever admit to being (though she certainly doesn't have Aines's grace and finesse). Deep down, I think she still wants to ruin Foulques and Geoffrey, and the best way to go about doing that is to pit them against each other. Geoffrey has made no secret of his ambitions, nor has Foulques particularly hidden his disdain for his son's insolence, and a lover's child makes for a potent bit of leverage.

On the Foulques/Philippe relationship, I think he knows it, but he tires of it. This upcoming chapter will shed some more light on it. Hope I do it justice.

Your take on Ness is on point. I have made her a much less experienced version of her mother. Aines came to Foulques a decade older than Ness is now - already a mother of three who had been married for ten years, surviving in a court that wasn't her own. But I'd add that Ness' scheme to drive a wedge between father and son is by far the best scheme available to her. She doesn't really have much in her corner right now. But perhaps if she can turn Foulques against him further...

To everyone, this chapter was originally going to be a somewhat short set-up for the situation I have planned in the next chapter. But when I actually started writing and trying to set things up, it kept getting longer and longer until it might end up being the longest bit in the story. I don't think it matches the last chapter, and I hope the next one lives up to the plans I have with it, but hopefully the extra work and delay put into it are worth it. And hey, it's chapter 100! so, consider it an hour-long episode.

Thanks as always for the comments and feedback. I'm glad you all enjoyed Alberic's end, and hope you enjoy the next chapter as well.

Reactions:
Chapter 100 - December 1099
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 100
December 1099 - Melun, France

“How many?”

“1400, sir,” Eudes replied.

The young man stood, helmet in hand, on the other side of the large map which, as per usual, was strewn out across the table in the strategy hall. To his credit, he showed no fear - perhaps his experience in battle had steeled him to it all.

Foulques leaned forward, his arms supporting him on table, and shook his head.

“That number is hardly anything,” he said. He then snapped back upright. “And yet it is everything. With the king’s forces in Mallorca, we have little to counter them with.”

“What of our 400 in Evreux?” Eudes asked.

“What shall they do?” Foulques wondered. “Die a pointless death?”

“Perhaps give the king cover for an escape,” Eudes said.

Foulques shook his head. “They will remain there for now.”

His eyes returned to the map and drifted down to Bourges, where Herve sat, laying siege to Gilles’ keep. Nearly 6,000 men. Half of them could like drive off this army, though he would not risk splitting his army, especially in these circumstances.

But he had not formally made any move to join the war against Philipp of Champagne. In some ways, striking without warning was a dishonorable thing to do, especially for someone he considered a friend, even if they were on separate sides of a conflict.

And it was frustrating to think he had to. Philippe had botched these wars. Why should it fall on Foulques to save him from himself?

He was not the only one who thought this. Toulouse was growing frustrated at well - angered over the accusations over Alberic’s death and Jaspert’s rise in influence.

He admitted to Foulques he had met in secret with Prince Hugues and found him affable - perhaps not a poor alternative as king. That could have meant betrayal, but Toulouse did not appear willing to go that far, at least not yet.

Instead, the duke was currently again in the south, nominally looking over his troops and preparing to take action should the continued fighting in Poitou and Gascony spilled over into his duchy.

But in truth, Foulques knew Toulouse was all but content to abandon Philippe to his fate.

1099_Hugues_friends_with_Toulouse.jpg

Then again, that fate might not even be decided on the battlefield.

The king had taken ill in the last month. He was rarely seen to hold court and no longer ate with the other councilors or the queen. Foulques had only seen him twice over that span, and not in the last two weeks.

What ailed him remained a mystery. He was quite pale when Foulques had seen him, but the entire situation was kept out of the eyes of nearly everyone at court. Jaspert, of course, knew as the king’s physician. And perhaps the queen knew, but even that Foulques found himself uncertain of.

But whatever it was, with no real forces to speak of here, the king faced two choices, retreat or likely fall prisoner to Champagne. And with the king and his sons in the hands of the rebellion, all would be lost.

“I need to consult with the king,” Foulques said. “We will make no moves until then.”

Eudes bowed before he left the room. Then Foulques made the walk to the king’s chamber.

As had become the norm in recent weeks, two guards were posted. One entered the room upon Foulques’ arrival. But as had been the case in recent weeks, he was denied entry, with the dwarf Jaspert emerging and the door closing behind.

“This information is for the king,” Foulques said.

“He is resting,” Jaspert said. “He requires as much of it as possible if he is to survive this ailment.”

“And what is his ailment?” Foulques demanded.

“You are no physician, so it matters little to you,” Jaspert said.

“For all I know, you poison the king,” Foulques said.

“My methods may be unconventional,” Jaspert said, “but they work. You should know that first hand - the pox did not kill you, nor take your sanity. You should be grateful.”

“So the king will lose his face to regain his health?” Foulques asked.

“Should that be the trade required, I am certain he would take it,” Jaspert said. “But, I suspect that won’t be necessary.”

“I do not wish to debate hypotheticals. Wake him,” Foulques said. “The matter is urgent.”

“You can tell me, and I will pass along the message to him,” Jaspert said.

“I don’t trust you as far as I could throw you,” Foulques said.

“Which I am certain, given my stature, would be quite far,” Jaspert replied. “What do you think I will do with this news? Not tell him?”

Foulques did not know. Perhaps he would twist it somehow? Though given the nature of it… what was Jaspert to do?

“Champagne marches with his men. Under 2,000, but there is no force on the mainland capable of handling it,” Foulques said. “They will lay siege to Melun with a near certainty.”

“That… is poor news,” Jaspert said.

“We must withdraw,” Foulques said. “We can move north to Rouen, or east toward Anjou, but we cannot remain here, unless we wish to be trapped like rats.”

“The king is not capable of being moved in his current condition,” Jaspert said. “It would be tantamount to driving a knife into his heart.”

“The army from Mallorca will not make it before the keep falls,” Foulques said. “There is no other choice.”

“What of your army?” Jaspert asked. “It is in Bourges, is it not?”

“They fight Gilles, not Champagne,” Foulques said.

“They are all the king’s enemies,” Jaspert replied. “What difference does such things make?”

“I would not expect you to understand,” Foulques said. “But know that there is a difference.”

“I know you hide behind it,” Jaspert said.

“This bickering is pointless,” Foulques said. “Inform the king of our situation. Or make no mistake, I will.”

“It will be done,” Jaspert said. “Though it will change nothing. He cannot move now.”

The dwarf disappeared behind the door as it shut once more. The guards took up their positions and Foulques might as well been in Anjou - he would have had the same access to the king.

Frustrated he walked off back toward his chambers. As he did, a new thought came to mind...

Anjou… or Bourges

…..

“She won’t let me leave!”

The words that escaped from Ness’ lips took a moment to form meaning in Foulques mind. The girl was shaking, her face pale. She looked angry, but that she was white and not red suggested she was also very much afraid.

Foulques had proposed to Ness they abandon Melun, for now at least, and join the Angevin forces in Bourges. She had seemed pleased at the time - though she did not necessarily wish spend the next few months in an army camp, she had little desire to stay at the keep while it fell under siege.

But it appeared now there was problem.

“What do you mean she will not let you leave?” Foulques demanded.

“It is as I have said,” Ness said. “The queen says I am one of her ladies and do not have permission to depart for Bourges with you.”

“Did she give you a reason?”

“That I am one of her ladies is enough,” Ness said. “She also told me that I have no reason to go, since I am not a knight, soldier or your wife.”

Obstinate woman, Foulques seethed. “She does this to keep me here.”

“Of course she does!” Ness exclaimed. “She knows you will not leave me behind!”

Foulques did not nod in agreement. He did not wish to leave Ness behind, nor his son. But he also did not wish to remain here, especially as Jaspert ran the show from the shadows.

“You… you do not plan to leave me here, do you?” Ness asked. “Me and our son…”

Foulques again did not respond, leaving Ness to slowly back away with her mouth open, but covered by her hand. She ended up stumbling and falling back onto the bed.

“You… you mean to abandon me,” she muttered, her eyes glued upward.

“I cannot fall to Champagne,” Foulques said. “I will not place myself on his mercy.”

“But you would do so to me?!” Ness shouted.

She lunged at him and tried to hit him. The first few blows connected on his chest as he was caught off guard by her sudden action. But in a few moments, he regained himself and simply grabbed hold of her arms, before tossing her back to the bed.

“I have done all that you desire,” Ness snarled. “I have given you a son and would gladly give you more.”

But her voice began to waver and tears formed in her eyes. She continued, her speech being broken up by sobs. “I thought you cared for me… I thought… you would protect me and our son… I… I… knew you saw me like my mother. I just hoped… you… would… treat me as her too. You would never have left her behind.”

Foulques knew that was true as well. He would not have left Beatritz behind either. But Ness, as much as he lusted after her, was not his wife.

“What will happen, if the keep should fall?” Ness asked. “The queen mentioned they may force themselves upon us.”

Foulques had never been in a keep that had, but he had taken them. It was generally unpleasant - often looting, pillaging, rape and and slaughter. Even in cases where it had warned against by the leaders, it still happened, just not as openly.

Certainly some courtiers would avoid it based on rank and status. But their lives ultimately fell on the mercy of the victors - fates in the hands of others.

“That you are my lover is well-known. That will keep you safe.” Foulques assured her.

“That? That’s it?” Ness demanded. “I am… just one of the queen’s ladies. Not anyone of importance, even as your lover…”

Foulques’ brow rose. “You, who has claimed to be my wife for the better part of a year?”

Ness scowled. “But I am not your wife! You have said as much. As such I am not the Duchess of Anjou and do not enjoy the same protections.”

“What do you wish for me to do? Stay here and place my fate in the hands of the dwarf? A sick and perhaps dead king?”

Ness looked at him, her eyes bloodshot and the tears running down her cheeks. “Tell your men to come north and crush this army. Who cares if this is not your war? It affects everything around you!”

“I grow tired of saving this king for little reward,” Foulques said. “It is his realm to defend, not mine, unless he wishes to hand me the crown with it.”

“Then why not take the crown yourself?” Ness asked.

“Because I have little interest in playing nice with the lords of this realm,” Foulques said. “Being king requires more than wearing a crown. If you wish to hold any authority, it requires work. Work that has all but destroyed Philippe. Why any man would desire that, I do not know.”

“Then fine, take your men, crush Champagne, defeat Gilles and then go home,” Ness said.

“What happens after?” Foulques asked her. “What happens the next time Philippe needs saving? Am I to come to his aid again? And the time after that? And the time after that? You see where this leads?”

“So… you would end it here?” Ness asked.

“It is as Toulouse as done,” Foulques said. “Perhaps it is time for me to follow suit.”

“But you would have me be part of that end,” Ness said. “You would not have me abandon the queen?”

Foulques considered it. But doing so would burn his bridges with Philippe and cede any influence he had to Jaspert. He wished to do as Toulouse had, withdraw, but leave his options open in case things turned around.

“I… I will see what I can do,” Foulques said. “I think it is time I see the king.”

“The dwarf prevents you from seeing him, you said,” Ness replied.

“He will do no such thing,” Foulques said. “I am tired of this, and I will make it known.”

Foulques pulled Ness in for a kiss. She was not enthusiastic about it, but that hardly mattered now. She would be plenty pleased when Foulques had gotten her released from her duty so she could accompany him.

As usual, when Foulques arrived at the king’s quarters, he was denied entry. Jaspert was fetched to see him and emerged from the chamber, crossing under the spears the guards held to block entry.

“I will see the king now,” Foulques told him.

“What does this concern?” Jaspert demanded.

“It is for his ears alone,” Foulques said.

“His ears are resting,” Jaspert said.

“Then your ears can listen to this message,” Foulques said. “I do not serve at your whim dwarf. Should you deny me entry today, I will leave. I will join with my men in Bourges, finish out that siege, capture Gilles, and go. You will be left to your wits here. Which… may be many, but I doubt can stand in the way of Champagne’s steel.”

“You would leave your duchess behind?” Jaspert demanded.

Foulques narrowed his gaze. “You put the queen up to it. I should have known.”

“I did not,” Jaspert said. “But I am aware of what the queen has ordered.”

“Then be aware that Ness knows of my plans,” Foulques said. “So what will it be? Will you allow me to see the king, or am I to depart from this keep?”

“So, if you are admitted, will your forces join us here?” Jaspert asked.

“No,” Foulques said. “I make no promises except for what will happen if I am denied entry any longer.”

Jaspert glared up at Foulques. But he motioned for the guards to allow the duke to pass through.

The room was dark, with few candles lit. The king lay in the bed, eyes closed, his complexion pale and sickly. He had lost weight, with his bones more apparent in his face. It reminded Foulques a bit of Beatritz in her final days… an ill-omen if there ever was one.

“So… you wish to see me?”

Foulques was surprised to hear Philippe’s raspy voice. But the king’s bloodshot eyes opened and looked to the duke.

“For a moment, I thought you were resting,” Foulques said.

“I was,” Philippe said. “But your argument with Jaspert woke me. What do you need to speak to me about?”

“You are aware of the movement of Champagne’s forces to Melun?” Foulques asked.

“I am,” Philippe said. “They will lay siege to us, trapping us.”

“Some are considering whether to flee,” Foulques said. “Ness is one of those who do.”

Philippe’s brow rose. “Ness? Ness wishes to go?”

“She considers it” Foulques said. “But the queen refuses to allow her to depart, should she wish it.”

Philippe looked to him, a small grin coming to his face. “You mean, should you wish it.”

Foulques said nothing, and Philippe’s smile grew wider. He even sat up before continuing: “It is her right as a queen. Ness holds certain responsibilities as a lady of the queen. My wife is not a place for you to hide your mistress in plain sight.”

It was an impossible charge to respond against.

“You have grown to expect liberties of me,” Philippe said. “And I have granted them. But the queen is not me.”

“She is your wife,” Foulques said. “Should you wish something, she is powerless to refuse.”

Philippe began to cackle loudly, though his laughter was cut short as he soon hunched over, the gritting of his teeth and grimace on his face giving a hint of the pain he suffered.

After a minute, and a few deep breaths, Philippe looked back at Foulques.

“You think it is as simple as that? You, who have had three wives and at least two of them of strong will?” Philippe demanded. “I can order her yes, but there are consequences. Consequences which you seem content to leave me, alone, to face.”

“If the queen did this of need, I would not argue against it,” Foulques said. “But this is a play to force me into action against Champagne, and nothing more.”

“Yes, it is,” Philippe said. “But it is not need? Our children are held by Champagne. Her husband may lay dying. And now her home may once again fall to Champagne - knowing she was hauled off in chains the last time it occurred. She uses the only leverage she has. Would you do any differently?”

Foulques again struggled to come up with a response. Using leverage is something they all did, after all.

Philippe leaned back against the pillows. “If you desire it that much, I will release her.”

Foulques did not expect that. “Thank you, my king.”

“So, what will you do with your newfound freedom?” Philipp asked. “Will you take her and abandon us?”

“I have not decided,” Foulques said.

“But you demand her release?” Philippe asked. “Do you think me a fool?”

“She was fearful,” Foulques said. “I wanted to ease her concerns.”

“By telling that you would leave before the siege?” Philippe said. “And… if you do not, how will you calm her fears?”

“So you… expect me to remain here as the keep falls? And allow myself to fall into Champagne’s hands?” Foulques demanded.

“I don’t know what I expect,” Philippe said. “I hope you would simply send word to your nephew in Bourges to scare Champagne away.”

I would have hoped you didn’t send the entirety of your army to Mallorca,” Foulques said. “Then you would not need my soldiers to drag you from the fire again. I gave you the means to fight Champagne with the forces you had on hand. Instead you sent them far away to win a war my men could have won on their own.”

Philippe sighed. “I hoped we could bring Gilles to his knees quickly and then focus efforts in Champagne.”

“And when Bourges falls, I will have delivered him to you,” Foulques said.

“You will deliver him to my brother,” Philippe said. “For Champagne will have won.”

Foulques did not respond.

“That is the situation, my friend,” Philippe said. “Whether you stay, whether you go, if you do not bring your men to Melun, then the war will be lost. Perhaps you do not care. Jaspert believes you do not. I think you have invested too much to see all that we have built fall. But your request here, does leave me with many doubts.”

Foulques shook his head. “You call me your friend, but you tell me of Jaspert’s plots. Just as you hauled me and Toulouse in to face you together to answer for Alberic’s death. You seek to manipulate me into doing what you wish. Is that what friends do?”

“You call Champagne and Toulouse your friends,” Philippe said. “And what would you say they do?”

Foulques again did not reply. He did not need to respond to a question they both knew the answer to.

“You call it manipulation,” Philippe said. “I call it the truth. Jaspert has said these things. He seeks to lessen your influence with me. Would you have preferred I said nothing? If I am captured here by Champagne, then the war will end in his favor. You did not need me to say that for you to know it. Where have I lied to you? Where have I told you an untruth?”

“You… you wish to guilt me into doing your bidding,” Foulques said.

Philippe was silent for a moment, before bursting out in laughter. “Guilt? You would mean the great Duke Foulques, who seized his duchy from his own brother, locked a child away for a decade and openly parades his lover around to the embarrassment of his wife feels guilt? If I am relying on guilt to draw you into action, then I truly am finished.”

“Then what?”

“I lay out the situation because I pray that after all we have been through, all that we have done together, that you love your king… no, that you love me enough to save me, my family and my kingdom,” Philippe said. “For really, what other reason is there? I can offer you nothing my brother can not. Even overlooking your… family’s actions… your strength compared to others will make it a treacherous situation if he does not.”

Philippe sighed. “I know you have tolerated me because there was no better option. I just hope that your toleration has grown into affection.”

“You speak… you speak as one would for a husband and wife,” Foulques said.

Philippe laughed. “So then I am the true replacement to your Beatritz? I suppose it makes perfect sense then.”

Foulques fell silent. It… did make sense. He had never loved Philippe. But he had tolerated him. And now, the thought of another in his place was bothersome.

And… he respected the man. He disagreed with him frequently. He thought at times he was not properly valued. But for a man who had once been called a welp by his uncle had done a great deal for himself and the realm - even if it looked potentially headed toward ruin.

“I will consider this,” Foulques told him.

“I suppose that is all I can ask,” Philippe said as he closed his eyes.

…….

That evening Foulques stood in his chambers, Ness by his side. With them was Henri, an old courtier from Anjou, dressed in mail.

The duke handed him a parchment with his seal. Instructions for his nephew to lift the siege of Bourges and move to intercept Philipp of Champagne’s forces around Melun.

“That is to go to Herve,” Foulques ordered. “It is to be read with haste by him, understood?”

Henri nodded. “As you wish my lord.”

“I will add it is for his eyes only,” Foulques said. “When I see him next, I will ask if the seal was broken when it arrived. If it is… there will be consequences.”

“Understood, my lord,” Henri said.

“Good,” Foulques said. “Take four men and go. Leave in the early morning.”

“Your will shall be done, my lord,” Henri said.

As the grey-haired man left the chambers and shut the door behind, Ness stood on her tip-toes to kiss Foulques.

“Thank you my love,” Ness told him. “I know you do not wish to do this. But I am grateful you do care for us enough to.”

She continued to tenderly move her lips on his body - she was learning. With that thought, and a devious smile, he escorted her to their bed.

…..

It was a week later. Foulques stood on the keep ramparts, overlooking the siege works being prepared.

Champagne’s forces had arrived a few days before and aimed to make quick progress. It would be pointless, the duke thought, as within the month Herve would arrive from the south and force a retreat.

He imagined there would not even be a battle - Champagne would not be foolish enough to risk the bulk of his force in a hopeless engagement.

“Duke Foulques.”

He did not need to turn to know the voice of the dwarf Jaspert. And he did not wish to dignify his presence by turning to face him.

“What do you want?”

“Something urgent has arisen. It requires your immediate attention,” Jaspert replied.

“What is that urgent matter?” Foulques demanded. “I have not time for your cryptic words.”

“It appears you will have plenty of time, in fact,” Jaspert said. “If it is your man.”

Foulques turned back to him. “My man?”

Jaspert did not reply, turning and beginning the descent down the tower. Foulques cursed under his breath, but followed him down.

“What are you speaking about?” Foulques continued to demand as they walked.

“A man claiming to be your knight has arrived at the keep, claiming he was intercepted on the way to Bourges,” Jaspert said. “If so, then whatever message you meant to sent to your forces did not reach them.”

Foulques felt his stomach drop. Normally such a message would have been verbalized. But in this case, he had it sent via parchment and seal, just to make certain there was no doubt who the order came from. If it had been discovered…

When they arrived in the strategy hall, Duke Hugues of Burgundy and a younger man, not Henri, was present. Foulques nearly let loose a sigh of relief.

“That is not Henri,” he told Jaspert.

“I was with Henri, my lord,” the man said.

“Your name?” Foulques asked.

“Robert,” the man said. “I was one of the men Henri took with him.”

“And where is Henri?”

“Dead, my lord,” Robert said.

Foulques’ eyes widened. “How?!”

“When we neared Orleans,” he said. “A small part of the Champagne vanguard was present. We tried to ride away, but were spotted…”

“And they caught you?” Foulques said.

“Yes,” he said. “We fought to escape, but Henri’s horse stumbled and he fell. He was killed then. And I was the one they captured… “

“The message,” Foulques said. “Where is it?”

“They have it,” Robert said. “Philipp of Champagne wished to tell you that your nephew will not receive your call for aid, and that if you surrender now, because of your old friendship, he will be lenient on you.”

Foulques shook his head. He was in disbelief.

“I am sorry, my lord,” Robert said.

“Tell me you sent another,” Burgundy said.

“Why would I have sent multiple men?” Foulques demanded. “It was a simple message.”

“That was of high importance,” Burgundy said.

“I have no reason to think my man would have run into their vanguard in Orleans,” Foulques said. “Unless his route was tipped off.”

The duke shot his eyes to the dwarf.

“You think I had something to do with it?” Jaspert asked.

“No,” Foulques said. “I do question your effectiveness as spymaster that you cannot root out traitors in our ranks.”

“Your arrogance is almost matched by your incredible ability to deflect from your own errors,” Jaspert said.

“Watch yourself,” Foulques warned. “Your position is not as secure as you think.”

“I am under no illusions as to my position,” Jaspert said. “Should this keep fall. I may be one of the few who can say that.”

The dwarf left the room, leaving the two dukes to stare at each other for a moment. No words were spoken.

Burgundy then scowled at Foulques once more and departed, leaving Foulques alone.

He gazed at the map and the pins representing Herve and the Angevin forces to their south.

Nearly 6,000 men. Half of them could like drive off this army.

Instead all of them sat in Bourges, blissfully unaware that as they neared total victory, their lord approached catastrophic defeat, unable to do anything but stare at the map, shaking his head.

1099_Siege_of_Melun.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
And then Phillipe drops dead, thus invalidating both wars and his son who is a captive to Champagne becomes King. Champagne immediately declares the same war again and instantly wins due to holding the King captive.

Close? Well something's being set up and I do look forward to seeing what it is. This is where it gets interesting to try to figure it out given we know that if Herve isn't relieving that siege then it's because that's what our author wished. It's a neat way to have Foulques nominally stay loyal while effectively still leaving the King to his fate and it's roughly the sort of thing I think we all come up with in our head cannon when we do something meta-gamey but still want to preserve the story we're telling ourselves as we play. Or at least that's what I do...

• 1Like
Reactions:
An interesting twist! In the readAAR’s post-mortem will be intrigued if we can find out whether that was some unforeseen game function or mechanic or an imaginative plot device :confused:o_O

In any case, some kind of denouement approaches and much may change as a result.

Reactions: