• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hopefully Markkur's widow appreciates the key and city-renaming. It can't make up for the loss, but his name will be remembered whenever someone walks the city streets.

I agree with @roverS3 that @El Pip, @Nikolai, etc. would be excellent choices for naming things after.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't recall that I saw notice that our dear markkur had passed but his last posts and what I knew about him suggests that to be true. Rather a sad day to read such as I had the pleasure to have had some correspondence with him off forum in private messages and a phone call or two. A good man that rests in the arms of the Lord. Most fitting that he finds celebration and honor.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Thank You To: @markkur for everything that you wrote. I never had the fortune to read an active Markkur work or comment. While his time on the forums was short, from what I understand he participated as long as his health permitted.
This is true.
It's nice to see Markkur posthumously achieve the rank of Admiral and that of General (in 'Odin')
Agree.
I'm glad to have have known him, however briefly, before his ill health took him, as an early supporter of my AAR, an excellent writer, a bit of an artist, a friend and an allround great human being. (even though we were half a world away)
Second the motion.
I don't recall that I saw notice that our dear markkur had passed but his last posts and what I knew about him suggests that to be true. Rather a sad day to read such as I had the pleasure to have had some correspondence with him off forum in private messages and a phone call or two. A good man that rests in the arms of the Lord. Most fitting that he finds celebration and honor.
Re Markkur: like Coz1, I corresponded off line a bit with our dearly remembered friend and while I never saw anything definitive about him, had assumed from our prior conversations that his departure from the forums presaged a more permanent departure for a better place for him, where his health had become a debilitating prison.

He was a creative, amusing, supportive and generous influence on me in my early time as an authAAR (just the second commentatAAR after Eurasia on my first AAR, back in Feb 2017). I was very sad to see him leave our little community, knowing what it meant, but am sure he went into the arms of loving family and friends. And from there to a better and more peaceful realm.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I am going to guess how Avon's Atlantis (better name than America) colonization would happen. Basic facts 1) defeat of Muslims in Iberia and North Africa by mid 1350s 2) Great Britain, France and Iberian Peninsula do not have a major realm. The largest realms on the Atlantic are Kingdoms of Ireland (unified island and limited British and French holdings) and Maghreb (North Africa with limited Iberian holdings). These two would be joined by the Serene Republic of Pisa (holdings in North Africa bordering Maghreb and northeastern Iberian Peninsula including Barcelona with only two Italian Peninsula provinces) and the Holy Orders as the early western voyagers. The Teutonic Knights may be a third Holy Order to journey the Atlantic as they have holdings on Africa's Atlantic coast south of Maghreb. I am not going to guess who went where except for who settled Avon/Emerald's home (Va.'s Eastern Shore) and the island named after Simeon. My guess is that the Holy Orders baptized and absorbed the Native Americans. The K of C settled in OTL southeast United States. (St. Simon's Island off Georgia coast is named for Dragos' son Simeon.) By 1428 (my current save), the K of C rule Lisbon and Seville. The Knights Templar in an alliance with the native Algonquians would rule the coast from the Canadian Maritimes to North Carolina. We have at least four cities named for their English home (Gloucester). Fishing bases in New Brunswick and Mass. (includes Brother Gordon's large factory), across the river from the Atlantis Knights Capital, The City of Brotherly Love and to the south along the Chesapeake, the first Knight Templar settlement on Atlantis along the Severn River. Brother Augustine would found Gloucester, Chesapeake and later his descendant George of Washing would lead the move of the Knights worldwide capital from Gloucester, England to the City of Brotherly Love.
Irish, Maghrebi, and Italian America. I would say that would be quite a twist, but in a way this is kind of the case today (other than Maghrebi) since every other American claims to be either of Irish or Italian descent (especially around St. Patrick's day :rolleyes:). As for the holy orders baptizing and absorbing the Natives... Well, that didn't work out too well in the Baltics when the Teutons and Livonians tried in our timeline (RIP Baltic Prussians, among other Balts). I wonder what would make them behave differently in the Americas in this timeline.

Are there any states in Scandinavia large enough to venture across the pond? This timeline seems ideal to shoot for Vinland 2.0

• 1Love
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I'm honoured to be included in this wonderful work, even more so for captain roverS3 to be part of the team of dearly departed admiral markkur in New Zealand. Hopefully there wasn't too much bitter fruit involved. (It's nice to see Markkur posthumously achieve the rank of Admiral and that of General (in 'Odin')). I'm glad to have have known him, however briefly, before his ill health took him, as an early supporter of my AAR, an excellent writer, a bit of an artist, a friend and an allround great human being. (even though we were half a world away)

I will definitely support naming facilities after @coz1 and @stnylan . I'll also throw @Nikolai into the mix as he has been doing a great job on the ACA's. We might also honour veteran writers who have become less active in recent years. For the Hoi space, I'd propose @Uriah , @misterbean , both used to be prolific writers almost a decade ago, when I started reading HOI3 AARs. Those veterans who have stayed (relatively) active, like @El Pip also deserve consideration. I'm sure there are figures of similar stature in the other subforums I'm less familiar with.
Thank you for reading and commenting. I would like for you to choose the next person to be honored with a facility. Any of the six would be wonderful choices as all have been members for over a decade with @Nikolai having two decades, @coz1 and @stnylan two decades this summer (coz 20 year mark is Monday). With the possible exception of @misterbean, all have been active as recent as December. I would like for you to choose the facility to have their name. The facilities are:
I (Imperator Rome)​
C1, C2, C3 (Crusader Kings)​
E1, E2, E3, E4 (Europa Universalis)​
V1, V2, V3 (Victoria)​
H1, H2, H3 (@markkur), H4​
S (Stellaris)​
The person need not participate in the genre that will share their name as we do not even have V3 yet.

If you could let me know by the end of May and I will have the story in the report of 1425's #2.

Thank you very much.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hopefully Markkur's widow appreciates the key and city-renaming. It can't make up for the loss, but his name will be remembered whenever someone walks the city streets.

I agree with @roverS3 that @El Pip, @Nikolai, etc. would be excellent choices for naming things after.
Thank you for the reply. I am sure that everyone would prefer more time with their loved one than a flag or other memento. At least, @markkur had lived a full life and went doing something he loved (flying). Also, this was an humanitarian mission instead of something no one understands.

I based the episode on Warner Robins, GA and Robins AFB. General Warner Robins (1882-1940) was one of four Army Air Corps (no separate Air Force at that time) when he earned his star and is called the Father of Logistics in the US Air Force. He died of a heart attack while in active service. (He needed to be hospitalized for about a week so that his blood pressure could be stabilized and he could pass final annual physicals.) One of his protégés wanted to name the new Army Air Base (1942) after Gen. Robins, but the regulations requiring naming after nearby town. Col. Thomas worked with the local mayor to rename the town and a month later the Army followed suit.

I have not read anything concrete, but I think that Gen. Robins and George Washington shared a common ancestor. George Washington's great great grandfather was Augustine Warner who founded Warner Hall in Gloucester County, VA. Gen. Augustine Warner Robins was born in Gloucester. Warner Hall has been restored and serves as a bed & breakfast. I have read that Queen Elizabeth II has Warner Hall ancestral ties.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thank you for commenting. Please forgive me, if I give any illusion that I know the fate of Markkur. The idea of city/base naming comes to me from Gen. Warner Robins. I hope that he would like the honor.
This is true.

Agree.

Second the motion.

Re Markkur: like Coz1, I corresponded off line a bit with our dearly remembered friend and while I never saw anything definitive about him, had assumed from our prior conversations that his departure from the forums presaged a more permanent departure for a better place for him, where his health had become a debilitating prison.

He was a creative, amusing, supportive and generous influence on me in my early time as an authAAR (just the second commentatAAR after Eurasia on my first AAR, back in Feb 2017). I was very sad to see him leave our little community, knowing what it meant, but am sure he went into the arms of loving family and friends. And from there to a better and more peaceful realm.
Thank you for commenting. Your work was the first place that I had the honor of meeting Markkur. I said that Markkur represents Gen. Robins. Your alter ego is John Glenn as you were the first captain and he was the first American to orbit Earth. For @Eurasia is Alan Shepherd. I made him retroactive with Count Progon as Shepherd was suborbital flight but later traveled to the moon after overcoming health problems. Hopefully, @Eurasia will volunteer to take another turn at the helm. @diskoerekto is a combination of Chuck Yeager/Gordon Cooper. The military leader with a little bit of maverick. @Cora Giantkiller is a combination of Sally Ride (first female astronaut) and Captain Janeway of Star Trek.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Irish, Maghrebi, and Italian America. I would say that would be quite a twist, but in a way this is kind of the case today (other than Maghrebi) since every other American claims to be either of Irish or Italian descent (especially around St. Patrick's day :rolleyes:). As for the holy orders baptizing and absorbing the Natives... Well, that didn't work out too well in the Baltics when the Teutons and Livonians tried in our timeline (RIP Baltic Prussians, among other Balts). I wonder what would make them behave differently in the Americas in this timeline.

Are there any states in Scandinavia large enough to venture across the pond? This timeline seems ideal to shoot for Vinland 2.0
Thank you for reply. The Irish colonization would probably be Irish citizens, thought the country is ruled by the English (Plantagenets in 1400). England is a hot mess with largest landholder being the Victual Brothers (unpaid mercs who took over). The Victuals have lost some ground to independent Counts. The Pisa group would consist of Italians, North Africans and Iberians. Our Time Line have the great Italian captains (Columbus, Cabot, Vespucci) that sailed for other nations, but the Avon Time Line would have Pisa colonizing as the HRE is dominating the northern two thirds of the Italian Peninsula. Rome is the dividing line between the German HRE and the Norman Kingdom of Sicily. Pisa with two counties on the peninsula, owns Sardinia, Corsica, a block in north Africa (coastal Algeria) and part of Aragon. It looks like the HRE is forcing Pisa out of Iberia. Pisa MUST travel west. Avon's Maghreb has Catholic Iberian (first Leonese then Portuguese) leadership. The colonists will probably be North African with any remaining Moslems definitely sailing. Our OTL had Islamic Granada until 1492, but in the AvonTL the Catholic Kingdom of Maghreb was established in 1312. By 1425, there is probably not an Islamic realm in Europe or Africa. The only African crusades were First Egyptian Crusade in 1190s and Second Egyptian Crusade in 1260s to 1280s. The last Islamic ruled counties bordering the Med fell in the Second Anatolian Crusade in late 1420s. I would suggest reading post #399 to see the leadership timeline for Catholic Kingdom of Maghreb. This a mean, vicious, violent realm. There were more leaders in 1312-1426 Maghreb than my realm from 1187-1426. The only leaders that did not die in battle, get murdered (suspicious or murder) or overthrown were a woman who conquered as a claimant at age 69 and died at 72 and a 32yo who died comatose (probably injured in battle). The native Americans that encounter Maghreb will probably think that OTL Spain was nice.

The Avon group does not overly worry about butterfly effect. The K of C and the Templars, my two major holy order colonizers are more worried about money than spreading the faith. The Natives will probably absorb Christianity in exchange for horses/guns. Both K of C and Templars have a son of Despot Dragos that are Midas Touched and served as steward for either their father or their brother. Admiral @Kazanov is the patron saint of our money making holy orders. The K of C has not battled a Moslem in Iberia for over a century and recently grabbed Seville from Maghreb. The Templars want out of the mess that is England. Their two counties are Gloucester and Bath. Gloucester VA (my home county) is less than fifty miles from Jamestown and the probable site of the John Smith/Pocahontas incident. Bath can be the source of Washing Town and thus we have the Templar native leader George of Washing Town. (George Washington's great great grandfather settled in Gloucester Va along the Severn River in the 1640s.) The City of Brotherly Love (Philadelphia) sounds like a Holy Order capital.

Denmark and Sweden are top twenty realms and will probably be in second wave of colonization. 1425 Denmark and Egypt resemble colonial nations. Denmark has holdings along the Libyan Med and east of the Jordan River. Egypt has isolated counties along the Black and Red Sea coasts and a sub Saharan area southwest of Egypt. (Egypt's borders are as bad as any in game.) Denmark is more prepared for India or Spice Islands than across the Atlantic. Coptic Sweden has journeyed east to Finland and northwest Russia (1400 capital). Possible sites for Denmark/Sweden could be area around and west of Great Lakes in US/Canada or Argentina/Chile.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hi @Midnite Duke , hope the AAR will be back sometime soon :)
Thanks for caring. Full episode up no later than Tuesday my time. Spoiler alert, I am splitting into two parts as we say good-bye to Despot Dragos and welcome Depot Vukasin. Also, @JSB217118 will begin his captain's voyage on the return flight.

Reactions:
Good to see you again Midnite! I'll be getting caught up with the AAR, got so many to catch up with.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh hey! It's good to see you again. Looking forward to our farewell to Despot Dragos.
Thank you. Dragos has grown on me, though I would not want my wife, daughter, girl friend, sister and especially mother within a hundred miles of him.

8March1418 Dragos/Vukasin
Emerald Institute

Duty Officer @roverS3 wakes the Analyst after a tech reports unusual conversations from Dyrrachion. The Analyst, the Director and Admiral @Eurasia decide that a mission to Epirus is needed as the messages appear that Despot Dragos is either dead or gravely ill. The Admirals gather for the flight except for @Eurasia, who does not have medical clearance to fly, and @Cora Giantkiller, who is on a recruiting trip to bring more women into the Institute's cadre. @DensleyBlair says, that though he is not cleared to pilot that he can be a passenger. He wishes to honor Duchess Jelena and ascertain whether Vukasin is more like his father or grandmother. Before leaving, @Eurasia hands @Bullfilter a key and a captain's wings for Capt. @37th Armoured div and Comm. @JSB217118 if the Despot is indeed dead.

8March1418 Dyrrachion, Kingdom of Epirus

@37th Armoured div led the Emerald delegation off the C2 WayBack to greet four awaiting Progonovic men. The looks of the men told 37th that after nearly four decades Despot Dragos would never again greet the AAReaders. He started to greet Vukasin as Despot, but Vukasin said to wait until after Dragos was buried and he could pledge his fealty to his cousin, the Basileus. The four were the basis of the council. Within the last year, Dragos had appointed his sons, Vukasin (Mystikos) and Ilija (Court Chaplain), to fill slots opened by death. Dragos' nephew, Konstantin (Biljana's son), had usurped the position of Sakellarios from his father, Barghujin Ajai. Vukasin had appointed his own son, Dmitar, to act as his Mystikos while the realm transits from Dragos.

Deaths: Anatolios Progonovic, 20December1379 to 4September1409, (Pneumonia), son of Dragos, Lord Mayor of Azerbaijan.​
Leontia Gavras, 22November1338 to 23March1411, (Bedridden & Infirm), wife of Dragos, Byzantine Empire Princess. (Her son's birthdays are 23Dec, 23Sep and 23Jan.)​
Dragos Prononovic, 26December1353 to 8March1418, (Depression), Despot of Epirus.
Ilija's wife Queen Kunigunde of Swabia had died and he had returned to Epirus.​
Dr. Margaret Houlihan tells the group that she may not be able to give a definitive cause of death. Vukasin says that they just want to reassure the church and the public that it was not definitely suicide or murder, for someone who lived in a world of mystery like Dragos, his death being the same seems appropriate. Jagoda, Vukasin's daughter, accompanied Dr. Houlihan to examine her grandfather's body. Finding no apparent injuries, Dr. Houlihan examines Dragos' vast array of medicinal herbs and potions, not finding that was clearly hazardous on its own. Dr. Houlihan tells Jagoda absent any written documents that she could not find anything that pinpointed suicide and that she was sure that either Jagoda or her father had disposed any that was found. Jagoda had acted as her grandfather's secretary since fleeing a ducal civil war in Asia Minor. (The final event for Dragos and his mother were 'family first'. Duchess Jelena's was with her sister and Dragos with Jagoda. In an ironic twist, the civil war has Jagoda's in-laws rebelling against her father's best friend.) Margaret asked Jagoda about murder fears and Jagoda tells her that some instigators claim that Basileus Eustathios III (42yo severe stress) did not die naturally, but rather by her grandfather to place his nephew Athansios Gavras on the throne.

Hypatia suggests that they should check on the reclusive Lady Naomi while waiting for the doctor. Naomi and Dragos would often spend an afternoon together exchanging fewer than a dozen words, probably remembering a scared young boy whose mother had rescued him from Sicilian captivity and a pretty young lady in his mother's court. (Dragos (less than 10yo) was captured and held prisoner during the Sicily/Basileus Innokentios ecommunication war with Duchess Jelena's financing his escape.) Hypatia and Ilija find Naomi with a smile in eternal slumber.

Vukasin thanks @Bullfilter for having @Senior Chamoy bring Ljudevit and Aunt Mirjana to Epirus in the C2-WK. Adm. @Kazanov is holding court with three business-minded Progonovics, Ljudevit, Konstantin and Simeon. Dr. Houlihan asks if the six is all. Vukasin says that Antonija is playing with his grandchildren. The littles have fallen in love with the smaller C2-WK. @DensleyBlair says that if @Senior Chamoy had brought coins for ballast that he would be even more popular than @Kage265.

Birth: Antonija Projonovic was born 20June1415 to Despot Dragos and Biljana. (Dragos has great-grandchildren older than his youngest child.)​
Vukasin asks Hypatia if she would mother Antonija if Antonija's mother leaves the court to be with her paramour. (Biljana had given birth the previous August to a girl by a Patrician. If I had been doing better roleplaying, Dragos and Vukasin would have tried to kill the Patrician. Though within a decade, death would claim both, Biljana by disease and the Patrician by the blade.) Count Gerbert says that he will go explain Biljana's options to her. Adm. @diskoerekto and @Macavity116 slip out to follow with the Admiral murmuring that this will be good.

The Archbishop of Epirus and Basileus Athansios II preform the funeral service. Byzantine lords turned out en masse to say good-bye to a friend, comrade and keeper of secrets. Among the foreign delegations is Ilija's stepson, King Giselbert of Swabia, who would be elected HRE emperor in July.

Despot Dragos is survived by seven children: 45yo Vukasin, Despot of Epirus; 41yo Ilija, Doux of Epirus; 34yo Ljudevit, Commander (baron) of Cleeve and steward of the Knights Templar; 30yo Gerbert, Count of Shirvan; 34yo Hypatia, 17yo Simeon (Midas touched) and 2yo Antonija (Serbian Catholic) are at Vukasin's court in Dyrrachion; and a sister, 51yo Queen Mother Mirjana of Ghana. Dragos with 38 years of leadership is second to his grandmother's, Duchess Milka, 42 though part of her reign was in a regency so he does have the longest adult reign. Dragos at 64 is second to Doux Gjin's 71. Vukasin at 45 is the oldest to take office topping Gjin's 43.

Farewell: Sally Kellerman, 2June1937 to 24February2022. The original "Hot Lips" MASH nurse.
Naomi Judd, 11January1946 to 30April2022. Country music legend and depression sufferer.​
Thank You: @Senior Chamoy for At the Edge of the World. This is a CK2 AAR using the Winter King mod.
@37th Armoured div for being captain. It has been a long eventful rule. (You still have the final trip of 1400 (HRE).)​
@JSB217118 for agreeing to being the next captain. (It will not last 38 years, sorry.)​
Next: We will finish by meeting Vukasin's court and touring Faiyum, Egypt's final African duchy.

Thank You, everyone for bearing with me as I had a severe case of the doldrums. Thank you for reading, liking and commenting.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions: