• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
visiting 'Honest' Ali Baba to rent flying carpets
:D
Adm. Bull, with a visibly shaken Disk at his side, announced to the group that the H4S had broken up during testing with Capt. Yuri Gagarin and Lt. Ahmet Çalik aboard.
Googled Ahmet Çalik to see what had happened. Sad news.
the Basileus used our visit to legitimatize his claim to the entire kingdom. There are paintings of Adm. @Bullfilter surveying the area with the Basileus
Byzantine perfidy! To be used for propaganda purposes - how tawdry!

• 1Like
Reactions:
The AAReaders were greeted by two expected and one unexpected person that had journeyed from Epirus. Despot Dragos and Princess (of the Byzantine Empire) Leontia greeted their sons and the remainder of the AAReaders. Basileus Anthanasios II had one hand on his aunt's shoulder as he greeted his cousins and the VIPs. Off to the side was a worried-looking Guard Instructor Joseph and he was desperately trying to get Admiral-Ambassador @Bullfilter's attention. Adm. Bull's light-hearted "what is up, G.I." was answered with the presentation of a letter. After reading, Bull took Admiral-General @diskoerekto to the side. Adm. Bull, with a visibly shaken Disk at his side, announced to the group that the H4S had broken up during testing with Capt. Yuri Gagarin and Lt. Ahmet Çalik aboard. Adm. Disk would be returning to Dyrrachion where he would be picked up by Capt. @Zamarak500's C2-TK to return to the Emerald Institute. The Admiral would then lead the Emerald delegation to Turkey to meet with his protege's parents. Among the well-wishers, Dr. @slothinator, the Professor of Papal Studies at the University of Bologna, was heard to say that we all know what the S in the H4S stands for and it is not Super, Stable or Slothinator.
:( sad days these days

• 2Like
Reactions:
Ha! This made me chuckle.

You are very welcome, and I'm glad you're enjoying my nonsense!
Thank you for the reply. Our nonsense fits together. BTW, the Basileus has placed Suenik under his protection during the 1390s. (He scooped up the duchy in a Holy War with Rum while there was an internal squabble.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is incredibly helpful (and even fascinating). I'll never read the updates in the same way again! :)

I'm glad that one ended up with Scooby's old hippie pal. Brits in the room may have been temped to go… somewhere else. :D

Those Basileus really are not to be trusted
Thank you for the reply. This is Ljudevit's coming of age tour (turned 16 in January 1400). Since Dragos took Vukasin on a Cairo Cathouse Crawl for his 16th, Vukasin and Dragos will probably teach Ljudevit more British shag than Scooby shag. Ljudevit does move to England with the Templar Knights. Byz is preparing for one of the most impressive AI land grabs. Byz has added 115 holdings in last fifty years and is now telling the world that the KoJ belongs to them!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Biblio says of course not, but it was a better story than the twelfth foreskin of Christ or the ninetieth nail of the true cross.
That is a way more creative relic you've come up with!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Bib proudly shows a board that has the footprint of the Virgin Mary when she was straining to give birth to the Christ child. Laughingly Rusty asks please say that you do not believe that tale. Biblio says of course not, but it was a better story than the twelfth foreskin of Christ or the ninetieth nail of the true cross. Besides, my colleague from Cambridge will believe enough to attempt to steal it.
With all the pieces that people across history have claimed as “true” nails or “true” splinters of the true cross, if you gathered those all up, you’d probably have enough wood and nails to build a sizeable house.

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
"Look at these important folks who came to visit your rightful ruler, who just happens to be me!" Works every time. :cool:
Thank you for the reply. You could be the Byz press secretary. Byz is having a golden age. 1325 not in top five, 1350 #4 217, 1375 #3 260, 1400 #3 332 and this is before they grab the K of J. In his defense, his grandmother was Sultana before she got the boot.

:D

Googled Ahmet Çalik to see what had happened. Sad news.

Byzantine perfidy! To be used for propaganda purposes - how tawdry!
Thank you for the reply. When I read the article, my first thought went to @diskoerekto. I have no idea where the idea originated but it is probably Dragos, MissSwiss or Emerald and not the Basileus. Dragos and the Basileus have known each other since the Basileus was a child as this is Leontia's twin son. Dragos probably found the woman that made the 16yo future Basileus a man. Though Dragos is not a great general (9-10M), he was a star in the Azerbajian War against Rum and a superstar in winning Crimea. (This is all AI.) The upcoming conquest of KoJ by Byz is a beautiful AI land grab. The KoJ even had an Independence Revolt that after defeating KoJ, Byz swiftly disposed. The Gavras and Progonovic families are not the usual Byz Greek rulers. The Gavras family though Greek are descended from the Crimean Goths.

• 1Like
Reactions:
:( sad days these days
Thank you for the reply. Was it properly respectful? A primer on WayBack naming: A letter after number without dash is DLC and with dash is a mod. The H4S is the HoI4 Soviet Union and the C2-TK is the Crusader Kings 2 with Three Kingdoms modifications.

Reactions:
That is a way more creative relic you've come up with!
With all the pieces that people across history have claimed as “true” nails or “true” splinters of the true cross, if you gathered those all up, you’d probably have enough wood and nails to build a sizeable house.
Thank you for the replies. Can you imagine the amount of relic selling in a 15th century Byzantine ruled Jerusalem?

• 3Like
Reactions:
27 January 1395 Basileus Eustathios II declared war on the Kingdom of Galicia-Volhynia (#13) to make Countess Elaiodora of Theodosia, the rightful ruler of the County of Crimea. Her legal eagle Jack McCoy had found an ancient (the ink was almost dry) document that states that Elaiodora's family has ruled Crimea for centuries. Anne Howe gives the Empire a seventy-nine-point advantage (six months ago Galicia-Volhynia had a thirty-two-point lead). Despot/General Dragos had no way of knowing that eventually his hard work would benefit his family. Elaiodora's daughter/Crimea heir would marry Dragos' grandson (Count Vukasin's 9yo Dmitar).
Why does this remind me of something.....

Sorry to hear about Ahmet Çalik. Do you follow European Footbal?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Such abundance alone could make for the construction of the Third Temple, what with all the nails and splinters laying around.
Thank you for replying. You are quite right about the number of relics that can be turned into building materials. But the Byzantines would probably opt for a large cathedral to compete with Rome over a Jewish temple. While Rome is nominally independent (Papacy has one province), the HRE exerts tremendous influence, and the Orthodox Ecumenical Patriarch holds sway over Constantinople's Hagia Sophia. A Byz-run Jerusalem major cathedral would be a major boon and would draw interest from the near-by large crusader states of Egypt and Syria. (Byz absorbs the Kingdom of Jerusalem by 1420.)
Why does this remind me of something.....

Sorry to hear about Ahmet Çalik. Do you follow European Footbal?
This was another Byz land grab. Byz has added over 50% in fifty years and almost as much as HRE and Raj combined. Crimea is prime real estate for the Gavras dynasty as they descend from Crimean Goths before going mainstream and becoming Greek. Also, Crimea borders other Byz lands on the peninsula but is isolated from Galicia-Volyhnia.

I do not follow European football, but I did once attend NCAA D1 soccer championship (very cold December day).

Last edited:
I previously highlighted Count Gerbert as he was the 'Spawn of the Devil', now I wish to expand on Commander Ljudevit of Cleeve. Ljudevit is the third son of Despot Dragos and Princess Leontia and like Gerbert is a 'miracle baby'. Leontia was forty-five and it had been over seven years since Ilija's birth when Ljudevit entered the world stage. His schooling showed Dragos lack of respect for Leontia as Dragos made his lover, Barbara, Ljudevit's tutor. Ljudevit would acquire a level four stewardship degree as would Simeon, Dragos and Barbara's son, born a mere two months after Ljudevit completed his tutelage. Ljudevit would successfully petition his father to make him Sakellarios replacing his uncle Barghujin Agai (aunt Biljana's widower). Before Dragos could even give him his first assignment, Ljudevit would join the Knights Templar to settle his grandmother's loan. Simeon, while serving as Vukasin's treasurer, would ask to join the Knights of Calatrava. (Simeon was having domestic problems as his unfaithful seventeen-year-old German Princess wife had just died in unusual circumstances.)

I am going to guess how Avon's Atlantis (better name than America) colonization would happen. Basic facts 1) defeat of Muslims in Iberia and North Africa by mid 1350s 2) Great Britain, France and Iberian Peninsula do not have a major realm. The largest realms on the Atlantic are Kingdoms of Ireland (unified island and limited British and French holdings) and Maghreb (North Africa with limited Iberian holdings). These two would be joined by the Serene Republic of Pisa (holdings in North Africa bordering Maghreb and northeastern Iberian Peninsula including Barcelona with only two Italian Peninsula provinces) and the Holy Orders as the early western voyagers. The Teutonic Knights may be a third Holy Order to journey the Atlantic as they have holdings on Africa's Atlantic coast south of Maghreb. I am not going to guess who went where except for who settled Avon/Emerald's home (Va.'s Eastern Shore) and the island named after Simeon. My guess is that the Holy Orders baptized and absorbed the Native Americans. The K of C settled in OTL southeast United States. (St. Simon's Island off Georgia coast is named for Dragos' son Simeon.) By 1428 (my current save), the K of C rule Lisbon and Seville. The Knights Templar in an alliance with the native Algonquians would rule the coast from the Canadian Maritimes to North Carolina. We have at least four cities named for their English home (Gloucester). Fishing bases in New Brunswick and Mass. (includes Brother Gordon's large factory), across the river from the Atlantis Knights Capital, The City of Brotherly Love and to the south along the Chesapeake, the first Knight Templar settlement on Atlantis along the Severn River. Brother Augustine would found Gloucester, Chesapeake and later his descendant George of Washing would lead the move of the Knights worldwide capital from Gloucester, England to the City of Brotherly Love.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
1400 #2 Rajasthan
Good morning, Shorebirds, this is Charlie Moore and thank you for listening to WES. I hope everyone joined us at Saturday's dedication of the new H3 WayBack facility in the Shore's most recent town. The morning featured Mayor @jak7139 of Oyster presenting the city keys to Admiral @markkur's widow, Polly and their children Mary and Paul. This was done after Mayor Jak unveiled the sign that changed Oyster to Markkur. Besides her children, Polly was joined by her grandchildren and Markkur's brother and sister from Missouri. After a moving speech from Director @volksmarschall that included a video of the Genius, @stnylan, speaking soft, halting words from his wheelchair; Director Volks revealed that the refurbished H3 facitity would be known as the @markkur H3 WayBack Facility. It was awe-inspiring to see the team led by Captains @roverS3 and @Wraith11B that completed the New Zealand humanitarian mission after Admiral Mark's fatal heart attack, make the inaugural H3 flight from the renovated facility. Over the coming weeks, I hope that everyone will be able to hear replays of my Saturday interviews. Polly and her family talk about families left behind when our brave time-travelers venture out, the Builder, @JerseyGiants88, discusses the pressures of being a hometown hero, Adm. @diskoerekto discussed his journey from a boyhood in a small Turkish village to being a senior Emerald leader, Adm. @Eurasia talked about being the first time-traveler and how his health has grounded him (hopefully he can soon will return to the air), Adm. @Cora Giantkiller discussed the role of female fliers and encouraged more young women to join the space program and finally Adm. @DensleyBlair talked of the V3 prototype as he recovers from his test flight. To paraphrase Adm. Markkur, I hope that everybody will MAKE TODAY GREAT.

The AmazingAvonReaders, that were waiting in Jerusalem, were overjoyed to see that the Samrat had sent the A-Team to guide them to the City of Elephants. 16yo Prince Ludjevit got to fly with Howling Mad on Dumbo. But every afternoon, he had to participate in scout training with either @RustyHunter or @Macavity116 besides his camp chores. Palacký University Olomouc Zoology Professor @Revan86 rode with B.A. on Peanut. They were usually downwind of the others as Revan gathered scat and fur samples from Asiatic Lions. As the AAReaders's caravan approached Hastinapura, Hannibal could be heard proclaiming that he loved it when an AAR came together.

Samrat Mahipala and his steward, Bahman (who bore an uncanny resemblance to Adm. @Eurasia), greeted the AAReaders in the jungle capital. The Samrat took Vilniaus Universitetas Professor @FondMemberofSociety to the side for a private discussion. (Can anyone guess why FondMember received a private audience?) Adm. @Kazanov asked the dynamic duo, Professor @Bibliophile and SR91, what treasures did they find? Biblio revealed a hundred animals carved from different tropical woods. The set ranged in size from less than an inch high monkey to a two-foot-tall elephant. Monkeys, tigers, elephants, rhinos and bears were destined for Oxford while he had a lion for Professor86. SR91 proudly displayed a cloth-bound illustrated children's book, Lord Meow-Meow and the Tiger Hunters. Everybody laughed at the drawing of Lord Meow-Meow poking a stick at hunters that were captured in a net while monkeys pulled on the rope that held the net.

1400 #2 Rajasthan Empire

The Rajasthan Empire finishes second to the Holy Roman Empire for the seventh straight check. While the margin has closed by over eighty holdings in the last century and a half, the HRE still leads by almost three hundred. The fourteenth century's final quarter had been kind to Rajasthan, as the Empire added fifty-two holdings (506) and was found in twelve more counties (140). Rajasthan's leadership timeline for the quarter century:

11 July 1382 61yo Samrat Ayeshah III dies bedridden & infirm after ruling almost fifty-five years. His 34yo son Mahipala Ghurid inherited the Empire. The seventeen years, that Samrat Mahipala has ruled, is the current longest reign by a Big Five ruler.​
51yo Hindustani Sunni Samrat Mahipala is a Cynical, Wrothful, Kind Elusive Shadow who is currently Out of Patience (7-18-3-12-4). He rules the Empire, two duchies and four counties. His vassals include four kings, thirteen dukes and seven counts. The Samrat has fifteen (most among current big five) bad boy points that has generated animosity among Christians, Easterns and fellow Muslims. Rajasthan has a fifty-seven-thousand-man army that is persecuting an offensive war.

8 May 1399 Samrat Mahipala declared a Sunni Holy War for Ngari Duchy (five counties in modern Tibet) against the Gyalpo of Kham (Tibet). Anne Howe gives Mahipala an early eleven-point lead.​
#18 91 holdings Kingdom of Denmark ruled by 50yo Danish Catholic Queen Katrine (Hvide) from Skåne (modern Sweden).

#19 84 holdings Sultanate of Arabia ruled by 38yo Levantine Sunni Sultan Jamil (Ayyubid) from Dariya (Saudi Arabia).

#20t 83 holdings Kingdom of Tamilakam ruled by 19yo Kannada Hindu Maharaja Mallugi II (Koppamid) from Cholamandalam (India).

#20t 83 holdings Sultanate of Egypt ruled by 3yo Egyptian Catholic Sultan Abraam (Terteroba) from Cairo (Egypt).

Farewell: Howard Hesseman, American actor, 27 February 1940 to 29 January 2022. (If anyone knows of someone that they wish to honor, please let me know. I have two definites and two possibles in mind. They need not be famous.)

Thank You To: @markkur for everything that you wrote. I never had the fortune to read an active Markkur work or comment. While his time on the forums was short, from what I understand he participated as long as his health permitted. I will leave the naming of the other fifteen facilities to others. An active person can be chosen as in my mind people like @coz1 and @stnylan would be great choices to honor for their dedication to the forums.

@Revan86 for The Lions of Olomouc. This is a CK3 work begun in June 2021.​
@jak7139 for Boris & Brian. This is a HoI4 work begun in December 2021 and is only on its second page (easy catch-up).​
@roverS3 for 'Odin' and Stalin's Secret Committee. This is a HoI3 work begun in February 2017. 2017 was a very good year on the forums as there are several more still active 2017 works. Also, thank you for the likes.​
Everybody for reading, liking and commenting.​
Next: We visit 1400's #1 the Holy Roman Empire (nine for nine). But first, we will journey to Epirus where people are preparing to celebrate forty years of Despot Dragos' rule.

• 11Like
Reactions:
1400 #5 Mongol Empire

Khagan Begter and his chancellor, @filcat, welcome us to their capital Kara Khorum (ruins in modern Mongolia).

Agent F enters the room of the archive-tron. The cold weather did not affect by any bit, as it was transmitted only as a nerve-message for his neuro-processors.

But the room. The room is cold. His breath is visible. His receptors would be alarming, had he not prepared himself for the onslaught of the icing air in the room.

He sits down before the roto-log. He enters the dates. The logs start to rotate, at increasing speed, in every second. The visibility of the contents exceeds the human capabilities within those seconds. He focuses on the log entries, with nano-second reactions of his eyes, far beyond faster than a human can ever accomplish.

The logs indicate that the comment for the meeting in 1400 #5 Mongol Empire was indeed due late. The post was read by the human-filcats at the time, but later than it should be. The notification system of the posts was not capable of handling more than a certain number of mentions, therefore there had not been any notification of the post. Yet, albeit belated, it was detected by the human-filcats.

Agent F stops. He enters verbal inquiry to the monitor-portal next to the roto-log. The screen starts stream with an even faster speed. The flow of the information is parsing the reasons of the human-filcats about the delay on the reply. Agent F has already understood, that there had been an attempt for a reply, as the monitor-portal has not provided any abrupt refusal as no data available. Yes, there had been a planned reply. The process was interrupted. Agent F enters another inquiry. The answer is prompted readily. The Cataclysm.

Agent F stops. He knows that he does not have any access authority, nor clearance level to investigate about The Cataclysm. The human-filcats had abandoned the earth, had scattered around the universe, had restarted, and then they returned to the solar system. This was hundreds of years ago. That is the only information available to his level, without even an exact date.

Agent F closes his eyes, and reopens. He cannot find the answer to why the reply was delayed at that time. He enters another, but final inquiry. The screen starts to show the planned reply.

***​
"Welcome, welcome to Mongolia. Yes, there are many horses. Have you seen the outside? The surroundings is a bit... wide open.

"Yes, take off the shoes. It is a tent, bro, there is no need. Welcome Adm.-Amb. Bullfilter and Kage265. What is that, snowstorm? Dr. Sue Ann had reported? Well, if that happens, we'll ride to the south, that is not a problem. What do you think the horses are for? To show off? Yeah, there are stone and brick houses. No worries. They can be rebuilt. Welcome Maj. Black Watch, Bibliophile, Kazanov, Col. RustyHunter and Col. Macavity, and Sabratha, come on in. Yes, even you are welcome El Pip. Even you.

"Breakfast? There is curd, milk tea, and clotted cream for the bread. Not to mention the yoghurt. One can never have too much of yoghurt. Grab a spoon. Along with meat. A lot of meat. Khuushuur, qurut, boortsog. Vegan menu is available, too. There are other options available, no thanks to us, some altaic friends of our former northern neighbours here. Or eastern. Or western. Wait. We have been all over the place, that's confusing. Well, we had decided to settle around the Middle Sea. It is a long story. Anyways, olive, dried cheese, moist cheese. And by cheese, I mean, the options are near infinite, not as limited as the franks have. Of sheep, of goat, of cow, of buffalo. Aaaaand jam. Oh yeah, jam. On the dessert front, well, some samples were mentioned by Diskoerekto, if you remember."

Someone from the crowd asks if any of the meat is made out of dogs. Filcat gives an ice-cold answer. "No."

"Ahem. Anyways. Let there be the joy of the full and happy stomachs. And music. Err... we have guests from the altais. A folk song, by Mergen Teldenov.

"Yes, that is a mongolian tovshuur, with only two strings. Or altaic topshuur. Since the unknown times, folks around have been playing this one. It has a nice sound, effective before battles, too, to lift up the spirits. One lad from the Middle Sea, Marco of the house polo had seen these, written on his notes. Not sure about the authenticity of his works, though. Shady fellow. Never liked him.

"Nope, not doshpuluur; that one is held and played vertically."

"Of course it has to be about horses. What; did you expect a song about hippopotamus?

"What's that; you would like to have a bit more global-sound? All right. We have the band Concrete Age as guests, too. How about a similar ballad, but metal, then?"

"Oh, too metallic, eh? But the solo, that one is crazy, is it not? Ok ok, I get it. Well, when not into metal, then not into metal, ok. How about if we introduce some sax to the line-up? A tuvan folk-song, by the band Hartyga."

"NO it was my pleasure. Come back again soon, you are always welcome.
He and his twelve-thousand-man army are conducting an offensive war while defending two defensive wars.​
"What, wars? Oh yeah, there are some wars according to what is written. There will be some chase, then it will be sorted out. Hey, that is the specialty of these neighbourhoods, run away and strike back. Hilarious game design, none of it is applicable to any part of the world simulated, and ludicrously, it is perfectly applicable and plausible for ONLY the nomadic warfare. That, benny-hill-type chasing around, with ten-thousand-strong armies."

Agent F turns to the other side, to the audio-receiver of the archive-tron. Give me a hard copy. He takes the memo-chip. He gets up, and walks to the door. He looks at the archive-tron one more time before leaving the arctic-cold room. His neuro-processor initiates the sense of disappointment, to increase his rigour for the mission. There has to be another way to find the answers for the questions he has, about The Cataclysm of the human-filcats. But first, he has to search and read the remaining entries on the Avon. It will be a long run.

Edit: Corrected factual, typographical, and repetitive-word mistakes.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I'm honoured to be included in this wonderful work, even more so for captain roverS3 to be part of the team of dearly departed admiral markkur in New Zealand. Hopefully there wasn't too much bitter fruit involved. (It's nice to see Markkur posthumously achieve the rank of Admiral and that of General (in 'Odin')). I'm glad to have have known him, however briefly, before his ill health took him, as an early supporter of my AAR, an excellent writer, a bit of an artist, a friend and an allround great human being. (even though we were half a world away)

I will definitely support naming facilities after @coz1 and @stnylan . I'll also throw @Nikolai into the mix as he has been doing a great job on the ACA's. We might also honour veteran writers who have become less active in recent years. For the Hoi space, I'd propose @Uriah , @misterbean , both used to be prolific writers almost a decade ago, when I started reading HOI3 AARs. Those veterans who have stayed (relatively) active, like @El Pip also deserve consideration. I'm sure there are figures of similar stature in the other subforums I'm less familiar with.

• 5Like
Reactions:
  • 3Like
Reactions: