Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hi everyone,I am doing university project on theme ''Paradox Games as a practice of public history''.I`m really need to know who in Paradox Studio respond for historical part of global historical strategy like Europa,Crusader Kings,Victoria,HOI.Perhaps they have some historical consultants with education, cooperate with some scientists, or the developers themselves have some historical education? Do they simply take information from the Internet or literature and historical sources?I did not find any information about this, who can share this, because it is important in my project?

Hi everyone,I am doing university project on theme ''Paradox Games as a practice of public history''.I`m really need to know who in Paradox Studio respond for historical part of global historical strategy like Europa,Crusader Kings,Victoria,HOI.Perhaps they have some historical consultants with education, cooperate with some scientists, or the developers themselves have some historical education? Do they simply take information from the Internet or literature and historical sources?I did not find any information about this, who can share this, because it is important in my project?
You may find some info that's already been posted on the forums. Here's one message on the subject.

Reactions:
Do they simply take information from the Internet or literature and historical sources?
Pretty much this, but don't forget that Paradox are game designers and publishers, not historians. It would be interesting to hear more about your project.

Not an answer to your question, but have you seen the postings by Bret Deveraux here and linked for other games? Bret is an academic historian who has done some in-depth critiques of the various Paradox GSGs.

Reactions:
Do they simply take information from the Internet or literature and historical sources?

(Disclaimer: Not a dev or otherwise affiliated with PDS)

Based on various comments in e.g. the CK2 history files and various dev posts, it's a mix of everything from Wikipedia to legends to semi-fictional accounts to more thoroughly researched history from a variety of sources (some dev diaries and dev replies have mentioned relevant books, and there's been some mentions of consulting historians), depending on what's available... with the occasional "This is wrong, but we want it this way!" (e.g. Basil the Macedonian doing certain things a year early so that he's in charge during a bookmark; historical accuracy sometimes doesn't take precedence over gameplay considerations), the occasional "This is the best we can do due to engine limitations!" (modelling everything perfectly isn't possible), the, occasional "Conflicting sources; we're going with this!" (it's always fun when you find mutually contradictory pieces of information...) and the occasional "We've got nothing/too little to work with here; make something up!" (because sometimes that's unfortunately true).

They also tend to be open towards improving on what they already have when possible, but -- speaking from fairly considerable history modding experience here -- it occasionally takes a lot of work to make "small" history improvements due to multiple things needing to be changed and/or it being sensible to do more adjacent work (e.g. filling in an entire dynasty, not just the famous character for a start date, because you've already got the information right there), it's occasionally something that you can't do all at once (sometimes there's a ton of useful information), and -- as I'm sure many people here know -- sometimes what is proposed as an improvement turns out to be horribly biased nationalistic propaganda or other nonsense that would make things worse if it was included.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Last year, in December, we learned about the so-called personal development time for the Paradox employees in the two-part Victoria 3 development diaries about feature jams, which allowed them to work on various feature experiments on their own time. Since then, as far as I am aware, we have not seen any additional development diaries about the feature jams. I would hope that personal development time is still a thing, despite all of those understandably vocal critiques of the development for Victoria 3.

I strongly encourage Paradox Interactive to continue this practice. You never know, you might find a gem or two in these feature experiments. ;) I also encourage Paradox to make regular reports of feature experiments, perhaps in-between patches, and to do this for all franchises, not just for Victoria 3.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Last year, in December, we learned about the so-called personal development time for the Paradox employees in the two-part Victoria 3 development diaries about feature jams, which allowed them to work on various feature experiments on their own time. Since then, as far as I am aware, we have not seen any additional development diaries about the feature jams. I would hope that personal development time is still a thing, despite all of those understandably vocal critiques of the development for Victoria 3.

I strongly encourage Paradox Interactive to continue this practice. You never know, you might find a gem or two in these feature experiments. ;) I also encourage Paradox to make regular reports of feature experiments, perhaps in-between patches, and to do this for all franchises, not just for Victoria 3.

Oops, I meant to ask a question in that post but forgot, as this is obviously a thread to ask Paradox almost (almost??? ;)) everything. :insert the missing emoji for laughing here: But, yeah, I was going to ask if Paradox have stopped doing this personal development thing or not? And then I was going to say what I said in the second paragraph above. :p

P.S. When are you going to add the missing emojis for XenForo forum? Yes, even poop emoji! ;) But, in all seriousness, it is weird that laughing emoji, which is like almost a standard emoji across the forums, is missing from the available selection for smileys in posting on this forum. What is up with that? Lol

P.P.S. The forum software does not even also support Unicode emojis from emoji keyboard like those on the Windows. Bad XenForo!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oops, I meant to ask a question in that post but forgot, as this is obviously a thread to ask Paradox almost (almost??? ;)) everything. :insert the missing emoji for laughing here: But, yeah, I was going to ask if Paradox have stopped doing this personal development thing or not? And then I was going to say what I said in the second paragraph above. :p

P.S. When are you going to add the missing emojis for XenForo forum? Yes, even poop emoji! ;) But, in all seriousness, it is weird that laughing emoji, which is like almost a standard emoji across the forums, is missing from the available selection for smileys in posting on this forum. What is up with that? Lol

P.P.S. The forum software does not even also support Unicode emojis from emoji keyboard like those on the Windows. Bad XenForo!
Every internal studio has different rules of when it happens, but at gold it's the last Friday of every month and has been like this for years

I don't know how the other studios are dealing with it, but probably something similarish

Reactions:
I apologize in advance if this is not the right place to ask this.

Regarding CS2: I'd like some details about the limitations of the new Paradox Mods platform when playing on Geforce Now.

Due to the current PC requirements and the performance state of the game, many of us are able to play CS2 with a decent quality only by using GFN.

The devs said generically that "mods" would not be available in GFN, ok. But it has not been clearly answered if what won't be accesible is the Paradox Mods platform as a whole, or if it will be accesible but only for some categories (non-code mods, official assets, user-made assets, maps, etc).

We need some clarification about exactly what content delivered through Paradox Mods will be compatible with GFN (if any).

I would like to ask about the upcoming currency changes on Steam, for example Turkish lira and Argentinian Peso being removed.
Will Paradox Interactive be using Valve's recommended dollar prices on those markets?

Reactions:
How do I "contact an administrator"? I'm trying to post something to the forums but it is being blocked by the content moderation, I think? There's absolutely nothing wrong with my post as it's a simple technical question.

Attachments

• support.png
    support.png
    60,2 KB · Views: 0
How do I "contact an administrator"? I'm trying to post something to the forums but it is being blocked by the content moderation, I think? There's absolutely nothing wrong with my post as it's a simple technical question.
Where are you trying to post that?

Is that your actual question (in the pic) or is there another question you need help with?

I get that msg when I have had the window open for too long without refreshing.

Reactions:
Well, you seem to be posting here with no issues, so, problem solved?
Posting here has nothing to do with:
A) My original problem
B) The problem I had posting to the forums (i.e. the overzealous content moderation/spam filters. What in that question is "spam-like or contains innapropriate content"?
C) How to contact an administrator (it instructs me to do so, but doesn't tell me how)

So no; the issues aren't solved. But that's really not my concern; I just wanted to point out to Paradox that they have issue with their Cloudfare configuration. I took my time to help them to improve. And when trying to do that I found a second issue (their content moderation going haywire).

Posting here has nothing to do with:
A) My original problem
B) The problem I had posting to the forums (i.e. the overzealous content moderation/spam filters. What in that question is "spam-like or contains innapropriate content"?
C) How to contact an administrator (it instructs me to do so, but doesn't tell me how)

So no; the issues aren't solved. But that's really not my concern; I just wanted to point out to Paradox that they have issue with their Cloudfare configuration. I took my time to help them to improve. And when trying to do that I found a second issue (their content moderation going haywire).
So what was the original problem?