• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AARland Choice AwAARds 2006 Q2 Final Round

• Empire of Fu Manchu by The Yogi

Votes: 18 27,3%
  • The Tower of Fear by MacRaith

Votes: 9 13,6%
  • Fire Warms the Northern Lands by Rensslaer

Votes: 16 24,2%
  • The Eagles of Avalon by Mettermrck

Votes: 23 34,8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have to admit, I keep going back and forth between Eagles and Fu Manchu!

Both are masterpieces. They each have something very unique which makes it better than anything else of similar nature. One is particularly grand and well-written. The other is particularly innovative, and well-written!

I really liked Tower of Fear, too, and there is much to be said for it in competition with the others, but I really think both of these others are already where Tower of Fear could be if MacRaith were to continue to develop it.

I won't place a vote until I've completed reading at least the 3 month selection that's supposed to be under consideration. These are both (like mine!) very long, so it's taking me a while. :D

But it's DEFINITELY worth the read! I just wish I had more time!

Rensslaer

The tower stands tall for me. MacRaith brilliant AAR may be short (in comparison to the other 3 epic); in fact it is uncompleted, speak volume of this great AAR. What he lacks in length he made it up in substance. The plot and writing are absolutely top draws.

Wow, the end of this is almost here! The month went by so fast... :wacko:

Aaargh!!!

I wish I had two votes! :(

I voted yesterday, but did not have time to write anything to explain my vote. I've been battling back and forth on Eagles of Avalon and Empire of Fu Manchu for some time, as I read them. It's been very hard.

First, I'd like to again compliment Tower of Fear. It is a very well written and well planned story with an epic vision -- tying in ancient myth with contemporary paranormal "reality". And MacRaith's gift for accomplishing a dark mood -- balanced sometimes with lighter or touching moments, and even a sense of humor -- makes this really a treat to read. I truly hope MacRaith comes back to finish this story, as I have become very interested in seeing what will happen to the characters!

I have gained a special love for The Yogi's Empire of Fu Manchu, despite the fact that I haven't read the beginning, much less the VERY beginning (his earlier Master Plan of Fu Manchu. Yogi weaves in so many elements of popular fiction that it prompts a flood of memories and associations from seeing these "old" names, but then he builds upon these characters in a believable way that is nevertheless consistent with the impressions we have of what these characters are like! From James Bond to Buck Rogers to Xaltotun (from Howard's Conan universe), the whole story is like a tribute to these past icons even as The Yogi tells his own unique and interesting story! There is a sense of humor, believeable dialogue, an accomplished pacing of the scenes, a tugging at your emotions and moods to fit the scene, etc. etc. Reading Fu Manchu -- which is distinctly different from his other stories, which are magnificent for other reasons! -- is an enjoyable exercise. This all speaks to a high talent of authorship, to weave all these elements together, which is why I very much wanted to vote for Fu Manchu.

Mettermrck's Eagles of Avalon, though, has captured my heart -- again. It's been a while since I've been able to read Eagles, but in catching up I find it's lost none of its import as a classic here in the forums. Mett's pace is nothing like The Yogi's -- he builds the structure of the story slowly, carefully, allowing time for reflection and development between major posts (not that Yogi doesn't -- his is just a more "punctuated" style with more consistent action). But by drawing the reader in more deeply, Mett involves the reader more in the story and tugs powerfully at our emotions when we see epic events from the inside -- the individuals who are at the mercy of the march of (alternate) history! There is a craft to the set-up and the writing which bespeaks a deeper, hidden storyline that is glimpsed only dimly. When things happen -- and these prompt many insightful and wondering comments, with readers analyzing what must have just occurred -- it is clear that the ramifications will go far beyond the scene itself, even if it's not yet clear where they will lead. This is the joy of an epic story arc, and Mett does a great job building it with the materials and talents he has available, which are many. His writing is smooth, believeable, studied (he's clearly put a lot of time into research of the Roman and Middle Ages period), portentous, and very enjoyable! He's also very good at finding appropriate pictures, and in writing historical narratives, to set the scene. All in all, a masterpiece. And therefore, I must cast my vote for Eagles!

Thank you to all the writers. It's been much fun having a reason to concentrate on these stories, at the expense of so many other things I'd been in the habit of reading.

Rensslaer

Congrats on the win, Mett! This was a tight one.

I have to admit at being skeptical of this poll as I was extremely wary of an HoI voting numbers bias (which may still be there but at least those votes were spread out.) I am happily proven wrong and wish to congratulate all of the AARs in contention. You are all winners in my book!

It just goes to show what a wealth of talent and creativity we have going here. :D Great work, everyone.

I'll leave this poll stickied until the end of the month so others can see the results. And if you voted here but have yet to cast a vote for the EUII OscAARs, make sure read this thread today. Voting ends in 2 days.

Congratulations Mettermrck, somehow it feels good to have voted for the winner. Though all AAR's were very good of course

Let be the first... drat! ...the third :D to say;

Congrats, Mettermrck, and well done, Sir!

Your story is already a classic, and more than any other on these boards would, IMHO, have a good chance at going commercial with just a bit of editing and expanding upon the history book parts.

And I'd be the first to buy your book my friend, at least in Scandinavia.

Well done Mett. Very well deserved.

All the four AARs are great, so first of all congratulations to you all for writing such fine AARs and ending up here.

Then I have to say Congratulations Mett, it is certainly very well deserved. Eagles is a very fine AAR that I have been reading since the beginning, and I am enjoying it more and more, so although it was difficult to decide I ended up voting for it. There is something about Eagles as Rensslaer says it captures your heart and it has certainly captured mine, so again well deserved and congratulations :)

Last edited:
Thank you, all. I'm very honored. :) I have to say I hope I never go up against Yogi, Rensslaer, and MacRaith again in competition, especially Yogi, who's a measuring stick I often apply myself alongside. I'm also very flattered by Yogi's comments about Eagles going commercial, as I often dwell on this possibility myself. Ren's and Mac's works are masterpieces in their own rights, and it was a tough vote for me to favor Fu Manchu over them. I'm glad that readers still enjoy my tale, which has become a monster in its own right, far more than I ever envisioned when I first started writing about a lowly Roman officer named Remus.

Congratulations, Mett!

Well deserved, of course! :D

And congratulations to everybody involved! This was quite a competition!

Thank you very much to everyone who supported and/or commented kindly upon my work. :)

Rensslaer