• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

firezatswill9

Captain
69 Badges
Aug 26, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
Howdy folks, it's been quite some time. Now, some of you may be wondering what happened to Gaul. And to that I say, eh, playing tall really isn't my thing, despite my efforts. And since it had been so many patches since I last picked it up, I figured I should let it stay buried. But instead, I got something that's even BETTER!

20240314163949_1.jpg

That's right, I accidentally dropped the map and all the countries shattered like a cheap vase! And with the Tinto Talks all but assuring me that EU4 is on its last legs, and therefore there won't be many patches, I figured it's safe to do a somewhat short AAR before the (fairly safely assumed) final DLC drops, and then one last huzzah after.

With all that said, I do have a few regions in mind that could be interesting to play around in, and would love to hear any suggestions that might sway me one way or the other. All nations will have their rulers randomly decided at game start, aside from the non-released nations. So it's a real luck of the draw for them, nothing in that regard will exist to sway me one way or the other!

20240301205627_1.jpg

First, of course, is the Chinese Thunderdome, and the areas around it. I don't think I need to elaborate as to why this would be fun.

20240301205640_1.jpg

Second is East Africa! Lot of variety here, and I do remember there was some clamoring for a Siemen run last time I did this. But that was then, and this is now, so maybe the winds have shifted there.

20240301205651_1.jpg

Last is Eastern Europe, sans the Balkans. Similar to China, there's a lot of tags around that would make it into a bit of a thunderdome, but it's also in Europe. So there's a lot of meddling I could do, or I could just end up treating it like most any Russia game.

These are my top three, let me know what you think. Or if you have a different region in mind, let me know and I'll give it a look-see before I get to playing in about a week or so!

• 2Like
Reactions:
No preference to express, but I'm looking forward to whichever you choose!

Rensslaer

These are good options, and I love the premise.

I'll follow whatever you pick, but I'd like the Chinese Thunderdome most... as the Ming. Play as the last remnants trying to regain your former empire! Prove that you retain the Mandate even after the collapse of most of your authority!

Yeah I'll change my opinion. I was thinking of doing a China game and I would enjoy a preview of how things are different from Europe.

Rensslaer

Glad to have you all aboard for this adventure! I've got ideas about what to do for each of the 3 areas I suggested, but so far it looks like China is in the lead!

The one thing I'm ruling out is playing as an existing 1444 base game tag, since that's not as unique in my eyes. So no Ming, Ethiopia, Muscovy, Lithuania, etc.

Reactions:
Ayutthaya? Korea?

Alright, well with everyone's suggestions and general feedback taken into account, I've come up with a fairly interesting run idea, with a few goals in mind that I'll announce and check off as they're completed. But before that, the nation I'll be taking the reins for is...

Miao!

20240321162716_1.jpg

Why Miao? Besides having a fantastic color that's gonna be great to see painted across the map, Miao has a unique idea set, making them less boring than a lot of the other released tags in the China region. Seriously, most of the revolter tags, and the one in Taiwan, have a generic Chinese Idea set, which really makes them lose their appeal.

Let me go over these ideas here, copied directly from the wiki for simplicity's sake.

Traditions.png Traditions:

−10%
Fort maintenance+10% Goods produced modifier

Tolerance own.png Sacrificing to the Spirits

+2
Tolerance of the true faith

National unrest.png Dragon Boat Festivals

−1
National unrest

Land morale.png Unity of the tribes

+10%
Morale of armies

Prestige.png Miao Silver

+1
Yearly prestige

Stability cost modifier.png Customary Marriage Laws

−10%
Stability cost modifier

Attrition for enemies.png Mountain Retreats

+1
Attrition for enemies

Army tradition from battles.png Legacy of the Miao Rebellions

+50%
Army tradition from battles

Idea bonus.png Ambition:

+15%
National manpower modifier

Overall, somewhat mediocre ideas, but I do like the tolerance and unrest ideas, considering that we're going to be doing a fair bit of converting in this run. Why, you may ask?

20240321162845_1.jpg

Because we are an animist nation! Ah, animism, one of my favorite religions in the game, in spite of the fact that it's literally meant as a placeholder religion for smaller individual movements and other pagan beliefs. I remember doing my first one faith as an animist tag, Sarig Yogir was a great run, a very fun run.

But yes, we will be starting as an animist, and we will be spreading the good word about the big oink in the sky!

One last thing, and I'll bring it up when I start this properly, but I WILL be using the console to switch the first government reform for myself, as well as Yi, Dali, and Changsheng. Why? Because this mod has any non-confucian Chinese tag start as an autocracy, instead of a Chinese kingdom reform. And I honestly see that more as an oversight than anything else, hence I will be correcting it. I'll go over why I'm doing so once I have the first part ready to go. But until then, get ready for the Shattered World Redux: The Revengening: Miao Edition!

This sounds like it will be interesting!

Rensslaer

Let us watch the rise of the Miao Dynasty of China!

Will this animistic faith be syncretized with Confucianism in universe?

Why Miao? Besides having a fantastic color that's gonna be great to see painted across the map, Miao has a unique idea set, making them less boring than a lot of the other released tags in the China region. Seriously, most of the revolter tags, and the one in Taiwan, have a generic Chinese Idea set, which really makes them lose their appeal.
Called it! Well, about the color at least.
Religion and national ideas are just details anyway, completely unimportant ;)

Good luck with the start and let's see how it turns out.

Let us watch the rise of the Miao Dynasty of China!

Will this animistic faith be syncretized with Confucianism in universe?

Or @HistoryDude it could skip all that and develop into full-blown Miaoism.

:D

Rensslaer

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Looks fun! I'll follow this!