• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really, really, really, really hope that either the Brits or the Americans won't see the end of your campaign. By now I'm pretty sure that the Netherlands won't survive and will become a part of Greater Germany but I hope that you managed to end at least one of the major powers before 1936. It would be the ultimate proof of Chinese superiority

Not gonna spoil that one. =P

India starting uncivilized ?
I hope you made them westernized after the treaty.

A brilliant victory for sure. I always enjoy British defeats, even more when Victoria has to kow-tow in Peking :p

I gave them a few research points via console to help them along here and there (to simulate technical support from Chinese advisers and the like), and stopped any and all rebellions. But no I didn't, I felt that would be a bit too much cheating at the time (I got progressively less concerned about cheating the longer the game went on, since after all the game rules are based around the Concert of Europe, which became more and more a dead concept the longer the game went on). If I replayed it, I might do differently.

And ty!! ^^

I found this quote attributed to the real Ci Xi on Wikipedia, found it quite relevant:
"I have often thought that i am the most clever woman that ever lived, and others cannot compare with me.... Although I have heard much about Queen Victoria...I don't think her life was half so interesting and eventful as mine.... she had... really nothing to say about the policy of the country. Now look at me. I have 400,000,000 people dependent on my judgement."
Link

Yep. ^^

Oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god

It's happening guys.

We're gonna have an Easternized World!

Yay! Glad you're enjoying! I was actually worried it might get boring, because of how much playing China is an automatic "I win" button. Glad that's not the case!

Oh, no seeing China win is an automatic "Best AAR ever" button.

I am obsessed with only a couple countries, China is one of them.

At this point, I think you've won. You've created an imperial system that stretches continents, you've defeated the European powers time and time again, you've conquered New York and forced the Queen of the British Empire to preform the Kowtow. Really, is there anything left for China to do?

At this point, I think you've won. You've created an imperial system that stretches continents, you've defeated the European powers time and time again, you've conquered New York and forced the Queen of the British Empire to preform the Kowtow. Really, is there anything left for China to do?
Let them eat cake!

Until the world recognizes the Chinese hegemony by becoming a tributary state...

There shall be no rest.

Have great wars been unlocked yet? A coalition of Great Powers could pose a worthy opponent to the Celestial Empire.

Have great wars been unlocked yet? A coalition of Great Powers could pose a worthy opponent to the Celestial Empire.

Yeah they were, in the most recent update. It was roleplayed as Cixi threatening to annex all of the UK and the rest of the world threatening a unified front.

So, while we're waiting for the hiatus to end, I've been thinking about what this timeline's Great Qing would look like in present day, specifically the Ever Victorious Army and Navy. I am very curious as to what vehicles and military hardware they would have developed for themselves. Do you think they'd look similar to what our timeline's PLA uses? I don't know how well the Type 95 assault rifle fares in open combat, but it's got a dead sexy bullpup configuration.

Rifle_Type_95.jpg

So, while we're waiting for the hiatus to end, I've been thinking about what this timeline's Great Qing would look like in present day, specifically the Ever Victorious Army and Navy. I am very curious as to what vehicles and military hardware they would have developed for themselves. Do you think they'd look similar to what our timeline's PLA uses? I don't know how well the Type 95 assault rifle fares in open combat, but it's got a dead sexy bullpup configuration.

I actually don't know much about military hardware, sorry. ^^ I mean, I imagine that in terms of its effectiveness it would be roughly equivalent to what the American military can wield in the modern day? But beyond that I leave that to others who know more about the subject to speculate.

I actually don't know much about military hardware, sorry. ^^ I mean, I imagine that in terms of its effectiveness it would be roughly equivalent to what the American military can wield in the modern day? But beyond that I leave that to others who know more about the subject to speculate.
Well, with the Celestial Empire in control technology would UNDOUBTEDLY advance faster than IRL...

Spaceships keeping the peace in the tributary states via threat of orbital bombardment.

Reactions:
Part 8: The Sinocentric Economic Boom

ZpUA46i.jpg

With the war over, the Empress Dowager Cixi could attend to other matters. Chinese administration was finally normalized in several island outposts near Hawaii, where the Qing regime had firmly established a hold in recent years - both to defend Hawaii from any further threat of American aggression, and to ensure the ascendant Qing navy had adequate naval bases in the Pacific. But with the newfound preeminence of the Chinese navy, such heavy militarization was no longer seen as needed, and the Chinese Hawaiian Islands were made a full province of China.

kL5AD8S.jpg

For similar reasons, Fiji was granted its independence, as a Chinese tributary state.

uvxdni2.jpg

Meanwhile, with the British protected market over India broken, Chinese industries benefited immensely from an unprecedented inflow of raw materials from India, and the Empress Dowager approved further massive state investments in expanding the Chinese industrial base. China's industry was already the largest in the world, having grown immensely from its virtually nonexistent state in the era of the Daoguang Emperor. But Cixi declared a further ambitious goal - she called for China's industry to be larger than that of the entire rest of the world combined, within the next 50 years.

In part this was motivated, though, by pure practicality - as farming and mining grew more and more efficient in China, and less labor intensive, unemployed farmers and miners were flocking to Chinese cities at an unprecedented rate. Beijing was starting to be plagued by chronic unemployment, and other cities were falling victim too. The distraction caused by the recent war had actually made the problem worse. Cixi knew that if she was to avoid mass unemployment and the resulting unrest, China's economy would need to continue incredibly robust growth.

The Chinese textile industry continued to expand, but it was joined by a rapidly diversifying number of companies. Chinese luxury furniture was the envy of all the world, and regular Chinese furniture dominated the market as well. China's fuel refinery on the island of Formosa, was also one of the first and largest in the entire world, taking in huge supplies of oil via ship from the Middle East, Fusang, etc., and via rail or pipeline from the Khanate of Kokand to produce fuel that was then shipped throughout the world, and to supply the Ever Victorious Navy.

China also possessed immense heavy industry, with huge cement, steel, and machine parts factories concentrated in Manchuria. And of course, China had a sizable and growing armaments industry, aided by sulfur imports from Java.

However, there were still fields in which the Qing lagged. The Empire of Benin shocked the world with its rapidly expanding technology industry in electric gears and light bulbs, which Chinese buyers bought up at such a shocking rate they were nicknamed "rice for the rich," fueling a massive boom in the formerly backwards economy of the vast African nation. The Empire of Benin's boom was aided by a heavily Sinicized education system that was the envy of the world, and a near-monopoly on the world's rubber supply (though Zambezia and Brazil were soon also becoming plentiful suppliers) , but ultimately it was possible because of the ingenuity of its people. The success helped build a newfound sense of civic pride among the ethnically diverse Benin people, and further shattered the collapsing Eurocentric economic model, as the so-called African miracle further challenged Europe's former dominance in industry.

The heavily state-dominated Chinese Empire proved slow to react, being used to textile and furniture-led development, and stuck in their ways after years of such success. Indeed, other Chinese tributaries acted faster than China itself did, with Java experiencing an economic boom itself after replicating the Benin model.

But eventually, the African Miracle inspired the Chinese to action, and the former flow of advisers from China to Africa soon reversed itself, as Benin engineers, scientists, capitalists were paid large stipends to assist in the design and construction of a new array of electric gear and light bulb factories in China.

Still, the failure of the Chinese economy to keep pace with its own tributaries concerned Chinese bureaucrats and economists, and some began to hesitantly entertain the notion of loosening state control over the economy, in order to allow for a more flexible and innovative environment. But for now, they remained in the minority, with China's state capitalist model having proven enormously successful - state capitalism's defenders, too, pointed out that the Benin government had achieved its miracle largely by following the same model.

P1loM5x.jpg

Sumatra was also granted tributary status, having been freed from Dutch domination. The new monarch was elected by an assembly of native notables, based on the Indian model, and married a distant relative of the Sultan of Aceh in order to cement her legitimacy as Sumatra's monarch.

9HhwQih.jpg

But even as the rest of the League of Universal Prosperity enjoyed an era of unprecedented prosperity, India's economy was in a state of total collapse.

The problems were many:

1. The long and bloody Chinese invasion/war of independence had caused untold amounts of property damage, leaving the nation's infrastructure in ruins and creating untold refugees.

2. With independence, the traditional trade with Britain had collapsed, and Indians were forced to build entirely new trade partnerships from scratch.

3. Under British colonial rule, colonists from Britain had dominated all the elite and academically-demanding positions in India. This had begun to change in the wake of British concessions after the sepoy mutiny, but unfortunately not fast enough. These colonial elites had virtually all fled before the Chinese advance, or armed themselves and mounted a failed resistance. Combined with expulsions, imprisonments, and firings of remaining British colonists by a victorious new Indian government, which often even targeted those native Indian elites were deemed too sympathetic to the British, the Indian regime was left scrambling to rebuild its elite and academia almost from scratch, albeit with plentiful support from China.

4. Peshwa Nana Sahib had proven himself a skilled military leader and a hugely charismatic figure. But when it came to the absolute nightmare of a task that was administering the world's second most populous nation, he proved wholly inadequate; he was at best mediocre. His regime had great difficulty exercising authority over the ethnically diverse nation, and many Indians simply failed to pay their taxes. He also had difficulty contending with strong reactionary forces among the Indian aristocracy that were worried the specter of modernity threatened their own rule; and nationalist forces opposed to Indian pan-nationalism.

5. With the Indian economy in ruins, the Indian armies and milities assembled hastily during the war deserted en masse, as the Empire was unable to pay for anything except garrisons in the cities; in the end the Peshwa forced to request the Chinese to establish permanent military bases throughout the Empire, in order to guard against rebellions, while the Indian army was in effect reduced to an almost ceremonial role. The huge presence of Chinese troops, which ate up much of India's agricultural production, further stressed the Indian economy, as peasants protested soaring food prices and complained about the common ethnocentrism among the Chinese military forces, who some came to view as an occupying army.

IKQVDbH.jpg

The railroads were one of the most pressing economic issues confronting the Peshwa - the Indian Empire's railroads had gone almost completely un-maintained during the war, other than those emergency repairs China had done to ensure transport for their own troops, and many had fallen into disrepair, been sabotaged by one side or another, or been damaged in battle. Thankfully, the Emperor was able to cobble together enough Chinese-educated Indian engineers and managers, plus a few advisers sent by China, and the railroads were soon again being maintained and given desperately needed repairs. (i.e. I gave them free research points to pass the reform)

P9edT4t.jpg

Meanwhile in Europe, the British economy made a surprisingly quick recovery, aided by heavy government subsidies, and was soon again second to only China in industry; nevertheless, the loss of the former British monopoly on India's huge supplies of goods had permanently damaged Britain's industry, especially in the field of textiles, and Germany was fast catching up.

Overall, the world economy was breathing a sigh of relief after one of the largest and most geographically spread wars in history, and the next 3 years would prove a welcome break from the fighting.

Last edited:
Reactions:
1 - Looks like you'e on the top of the world now. What do you plan to do next?

2 - I do believe you mean India
China's economy was in a state of total collapse.

You see, on another forum I coined the term "Chinagasm" to describe scenarios exactly like this one.

I feel like we should spread it to the Paradoxians.

Reactions:
California always has cores and is always releasable, but IIRC the last time we saw the West Coast I don't think it was released.

The chronic unemployment thing is something that came up in the strategy guide for China. I'll be interested to see if Cixi's plan works out. The only pitfall with her idea is the fact that there are a finite number of buyers in a market over a given period of time. If supply grows faster than demand, it's gonna bite her or her successors in the ass down the line. And ancestors help them once technology begins removing the demand for manpower.

EDIT: I should probably clarify that I am talking in terms of realistic economics, not game mechanics.

California always has cores and is always releasable, but IIRC the last time we saw the West Coast I don't think it was released.

Yep. China has already started getting cores on California at this point, so I saw no reason to release it.

The chronic unemployment thing is something that came up in the strategy guide for China. I'll be interested to see if Cixi's plan works out. The only pitfall with her idea is the fact that there are a finite number of buyers in a market over a given period of time. If supply grows faster than demand, it's gonna bite her or her successors in the ass down the line. And ancestors help them once technology begins removing the demand for manpower.

EDIT: I should probably clarify that I am talking in terms of realistic economics, not game mechanics.

The game mechanics actually simulate this quite well.

Getting slightly spoiler-y, your assessment was correct. I fixed the problem of unemployment by modding the game files to decrease factory construction time, as I mentioned earlier in the AAR; but after a decade or two this led into the other problem; both a lack of raw materials for the ludicrously large Qing industrial base, plus a lack of buyers. I'll go more into detail once the AAR actually gets there.

Part 9: The Calm Before the Storm, Three Years of Peace

The next few years would be largely peaceful for China; the new Beiyang-dominated order had risen to power, with the Empress Dowager's reluctant support, and most of the nation was content with their rule. Guangxu was finally old enough to reign in his own right, but Cixi largely maintained her grip on the regency; officially with the support of most of the bureaucracy and Council of Scholars, to whom the Guangxu Emperor was an unknown element.

FQm2IwO.jpg

But not all were content with this monarchist status quo, and New York especially was a hotbed of treasonous democratic activity. A serious rebellion broke out in New York, and a few minor ones in China, under the slogan of "No taxation without representation!" The rebellion was put down with ease, but seriously worried the Chinese elite, encouraging them to rally behind Cixi's rule.

aCeKnnn.jpg

Meanwhile, combustion engines were invented in China, to great acclaim. Many engineers and scientists began studying its potential applications in agriculture, industry, and transportation; a few dreamers even spoke of "flying machines;" a ludicrous notion, of course, but one that captured the imagination of much of the population.

5HdGtoi.jpg

In less pleasant news, separatist feelings were spreading among ethnic minorities in China. While Beiyang had done much to end anti-Han discrimination, those who were neither Han, nor Manchu, nor Mongol were still victims of often horrific ethnic oppression.

s2cRPxt.jpg

Meanwhile, in India, rebellions broke out against the Peshwa's rule, only to be put down by the Qing forces.

YJLTmAZ.jpg

Poland, meanwhile, started another war with Russia without consulting the Qing or the League of Universal Prosperity first. The Empress Dowager did not even bother to issue a reply to the absurd demand, though she did privately assure the Russian ambassador of China's neutrality.

8Nyzvv7.jpg

In China, the railroad industry was booming and modernizing, with heavy state support - China's expanding military and industry demanded faster and faster movement of troops, supplies, and economic goods.

wzT5vuq.jpg

(China's demographics, for your perusal)

52JJRbp.jpg

Meanwhile, psychology as a science in China was finally starting to catch up with the West, as Chinese scholars increasingly took an interest in the subject. Interested in the potential military applications, the Qing government approved it as a potential Examination field of study.

3eyzM5f.jpg

A crisis broke out in Europe, meanwhile, between Germany and Austria-Hungary - unsurprisingly, China sided with Germany.

aceRbzV.jpg

Back in China, the growing Qing economy led Empress Cixi to approve proposals for a modernized regulatory system, to crack down on growing corrupt business practices among some in the growing capitalist class.

JIi3XKX.jpg

After a long political battle over the matters, Cixi also approved legislation granting private property rights to people for inventions, and allowing somewhat increased self-management for businesses; supporters of the measures had finally convinced her the laws would encourage innovation. (why patents have no effect on research efficiency whatsoever is beyond me)

gwtEPvg.jpg

PRJ3bXg.jpg

NzonUma.jpg

Austria-Hungary, meanwhile played a risky diplomatic game. They capitulated to Germany's demands, only to immediately afterwards declare war to reverse the agreement, having the nerve to try activating their alliance with China when only days before China had been part of the coalition that forced them to agree to the demands in the first place. Unsurprisingly, China refused the absurd call to arms.

FRttBAR.jpg

The Qing military continued its efforts to modernize - military technology was one of the only fields where China still lagged behind the West.

Wl61Ngw.jpg

India, meanwhile, finally agreed to a formal alliance with China, in return for continued Qing aid against any rebels.

Cowk4zr.jpg

And the Chinese psychological sciences continued a rapid advance.

KbI0qgV.jpg

Meanwhile, after decades of stonewalling Japanese attempts to reclaim their southern lands from rebels, Cixi finally acceded to their requests, allowed Japanese armies through, and even order China's forces in Japan to aid Japan against the rebels. The Empress Dowager had decided China was now strong enough that there was no further need to ensure a weak Japan, and felt that Japan was finally showing China the respect it deserved.

JW5wNGP.jpg

And with the burgeoning Beijing Stock Market, having quickly become the largest in the world, a new diversity of financial instruments began to take hold, many inspired by European financial markets.

EvK7aIA.jpg

Trademarks and joint stock companies, too, were soon legalized by Cixi, in a step advised by economists to further boost growth and tax efficiency in the face of high unemployment and high budget deficits.

8Zszlec.jpg

And Chinese psychology continued a rapid advance, soon catching up with the West.

dX2lkuq.jpg

But alas, the peaceful prosperity was not to last. Scandinavia, a Chinese ally, had long claimed Finland, dating back to its predecessor nation's claim from the glory days of Sweden's empire. Now, seeking to reclaim their lost lands, Scandinavia had formally applied for League membership and petitioned the League for a mandate against the Russian Empire, citing horrific stories of Finnish oppression under the Russian yoke. China and Germany supported the measure for war, with both Germany and China eager to tame the massive Russian Empire. As for membership: Germany was more than willing to accept so long as Scandinavia agreed not to pursue its claims over Denmark's former lands, and China felt that Scandinavia could follow the German model of becoming civilized through an alliance with China. Thus, Scandinavia's membership petition was also accepted.

fbB2Mg8.jpg

N1tKenC.jpg

As one, the three nations denounced Russian oppression of the Finnish people, and demanded the lands be returned to Scandinavia. Italy denounced the move and joined its Russian ally in the war, as did Persia, Serbia, and a few minor nations. The Ottoman Empire eagerly seized the opportunity for war with so many of its ancient enemies, and the League membership overwhelmingly answered China's call to war.

And so began the First World War.

Reactions: