• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey, at least you gave Hethran ideas. And to be fair, fascists damn near got a foothold in Britain in our timeline; the humiliation of seeing the Empire flattened under the boots of the Middle Kingdom will make Edward and Oswald much, MUCH more appealing to the Brits come 1936.

Hm...I wonder if there is even anything left to conquer in HoI3. Seeing the big ones in Europe getting wrecked and the asian nations getting "freed" one by one methinks that China already rules everything once we get there.

Hm...I wonder if there is even anything left to conquer in HoI3. Seeing the big ones in Europe getting wrecked and the asian nations getting "freed" one by one methinks that China already rules everything once we get there.
Plenty of room for revanchist extremists to rise in Europe.

Hey, at least you gave Hethran ideas. And to be fair, fascists damn near got a foothold in Britain in our timeline; the humiliation of seeing the Empire flattened under the boots of the Middle Kingdom will make Edward and Oswald much, MUCH more appealing to the Brits come 1936.

Exactly. ^^

I'm honestly not sure if I will. I tried playing HOI3 for the first time today. The interface is really confusing and will probably take a long time to learn, and I kind of wanna do a different AAR once this is done instead of continuing it.

(spoiler warning) If I did play HOI3, the three greatest powers are China, Germany, and India, so I would probably make them the three faction leaders. But yeah, the way I plan on wrapping up this Victoria AAR is going to be pretty conclusive, so I feel a HOI3 continuation of the AAR would risk suffering a horrible case of Sequelitis.

Reactions:
Do what you gotta do, man. It sounds a lot like you'd be further ahead narrating an epilogue up to present day or something.

Part 6: The Fourth and Final Sinocentric War, Part 3: The Sun Sets on the British Empire

RyzRxXq.jpg

Once again, Africa proved the sole front on which the British were holding their own. The Battle of Swakopmund ended in a (costly) victory for the British Empire.

hhFAiIi.jpg

And in India, the great Khan of Kokand arrived with thousands of his proud steppe armies to attack British India from the West, soon linking up with Chinese forces. The British garrisons were horrified as the survivors were led into PoW camps - to be defeated by China was one thing, but to be defeated by a steppe tribe? Their entire worldview had been shattered utterly.

KDdK9P5.jpg

And would continue to be, as the last desperate counterattack of the British Canadian army was thrown back, the Canadian forces in ruins.

z0k6Qpu.jpg

China's spiraling fortunes in the war finally convinced the Sharif of Mecca to sign a tributary agreement with China, securing the Islamic holy site of Mecca for the Sinocentric world. With both the Ottoman Caliph and Mecca itself following China's lead, the rest of the Islamic world would surely follow suit soon.

ChxqhEj.jpg

And steam technology in China continued to advance, boosting crop yields even further.

R6CJgi6.jpg

But all this was a sideshow to the real plan - China's Ever Victorious Navy had finally arrived in the British Channel, joining with the remnants of the German High Seas fleet. The time had come for the Royal Navy to sink.

o63Q2Uf.jpg

The Chinese fleet performed as expected - the British ships were totally outmaneuvered and outgunned, rapidly sinking to the bottom of the sea. The Chinese continued on to the Netherlands to make repairs.

vjLaRef.jpg

In India, all was lost for Britain; even the outlying islands were falling, now that China had secured naval superiority.

LkUp8ef.jpg

The last hurdle holding back China had been supply difficulties - but the Chinese admiralty learned fast, and soon these issues were no longer a problem.

YgbSCzf.jpg

Portugal, too, signed a tributary agreement, China having confirmed it could project power all the way to the homelands of the Western powers.

NNKIrC2.jpg

And with the Royal Navy at the bottom of the sea, the Germans expanded their wargoals.

QrhW6lj.jpg

HpNxiJ0.jpg

And China's factories and mines continued to innovate.

8vt7nWQ.jpg

Finally, the first stage of Operation Setting Sun was complete. The Germans and Chinese had coordinated a naval blockade that almost completely shut off the British Isles from the outside world. Britain's worst nightmare had been realized.

h5TLkwm.jpg

The British fleet in Ireland attempted a breakout from port, but it failed utterly.

Britain was now completely cut off from the outside world; even the sea lanes between Ireland and Great Britain were cut off. With the loss of food and resource imports, and the inability to export finished goods, or provide reinforcements to their besieged colonies - Britain had effectively lost the war, and potentially their economy as well. Mass famine threatened the whole mainland, and the entire economy would have collapsed if the British government hadn't approved massive emergency subsidies for British industries.

It was now only a matter of time before the British capitulated, or else their own people would overthrow them - and if not, with the Royal Navy at the bottom of the sea, nothing was stopping a German invasion from the sea. Or, if the Germans failed to do their part, stage 2 of Operation Setting Sun could be executed - Chinese forces being redeployed from India or the Dutch Colonial Empire to invade the British Isles via sea, once the last resistance was mopped up.

One way or another, all paths led to defeat for Britain.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The Ever Victorious Army shall march onward to victory!

Reactions:
Chinese Seelowe! We must see the Kingdom preform the kowtow!

glory to the Qing!

Part 7: The Fourth and Final Sinocentric War, Part 4: The Betrayal, and the War's End

yrx2XXV.jpg

The last hope of the British Empire, the British African Army, was now in full retreat, attrition having brought them to the brink of annihilation after an endless series of battles with Coalition forces (mainly from China and the Zambezian Confederacy).

C3NYEnc.jpg

nsEjRAr.jpg

The British Royal Navy was now nonexistent, and it was only a matter of time until every last colony fell to the Lhasa Coalition forces. Bermuda was the latest to fall, to a Somali invasion force.

As for the Dutch, all that was left was a handful of holdouts, almost all their lands were under Coalition control.

And yet, Britain obstinately refused to agree to China and Germany's totally reasonable demands - for the Dutch to cede Sumatra to China, and cede Gelderland to Germany, and for Britain to acknowledge Indian independence. The Dutch government in exile, hiding out in London, similarly refused. Empress Dowager Cixi was growing increasingly impatient, as was the German Empire's leadership.

iTKTw8L.jpg

fvvMYcK.jpg

Meanwhile, back in China, the Beijing Stock Exchange opened its doors. The Qing regime had initially banned stock exchanges, distrusting such a high concentration of merchant and capitalists, but as the Qing economy grew and such an exchange became more and more necessary, capitalists were finally able to persuade the regime to legalize the practice on the grounds that a tightly monitored stock exchange would make tax evasion by capitalists more difficult. The Beijing Stock Exchange would soon grow to be the world's largest.

Insurance companies also grew to be a booming market.

DTt0KBP.jpg

Meanwhile, with the war effectively won, Cixi reluctantly gave in to the growing power of Beiyang and agreed to reshuffle the upper ranks of the government with Beiyang members, effectively giving up Conservative hegemony. Henceforth, Cixi would largely align herself with Beiyang as her new power base (though much of her old power base had already defected to Beiyang).

vzluRDJ.jpg

WBp0mQD.jpg

bp2vJHg.jpg

Meanwhile, with the Indian dye industry in ruins from the war, China's virtual monopoly on synthetic dyes had allowed China to gain total market dominance of the entire world's textiles industries. Since the war's start alone China's industrial economy had grown by over 30%, in barely over a year. It was a massive economic miracle, prompted by the collapsing textile industry of China's biggest rival in the market, the British.

Faced with an obstinate Britain, Germany and China decided it was time to force the dutch to a peace - one way or another.

2aeNtaM.jpg

The Coalition forces moved to take over the entire Dutch Empire and force a unilateral peace, replacing the Dutch government in exile with a new one.

FCbSY9S.jpg

The Dutch were totally exhausted from the war, and eager for peace. (100% war exhaustion)

jFz1J91.jpg

When Germany held new, free and fair elections in the Netherlands for a new government, pro-surrender politicians won in a landslide, and the Dutch agreed to both demands. (i.e. I consoled in as them and forced them to agree, as I had 100% occupation; they refused otherwise because Acquire Gelderland alone costs over 100 warscore)

9ip7pwy.jpg

Britain was all alone now, but still refused to surrender.

r2FScjm.jpg

The war weary country, with famine on the rise, proved an ideal breeding ground for a new ideology - Communism, which soon spread to China as well.

IKpKvw0.jpg

The Ottoman Empire launched a naval landing near London, establish a beachhead.

Tired of Britain's obstinance, and with rising feeling within China favoring massive territorial changes, Empress Dowager Cixi bluntly announced to the international community that if China was forced to mount a bloody invasion and occupy every last portion of the British homeland for Britain to surrender, China would annex/liberate the entire British Empire, including the islands.

Shocked and horrified, the non-German European great powers, who had thus far been quietly in awe of China's shocking victories, could no longer stand by. All of them joined in one to protest the move, and threatened military intervention.

Empress Dowager Cixi and the German government knew they could not risk facing such a vast coalition - it would truly be the war to end all wars if it were to occur. So in reply, the Lhasa Coalition offered to resolve the matter via a conference - to find a solution to the matter of Britain and secure a peace.

And so, in Berlin, all the warring parties, all the European great powers, and the USA met to decide the fate of the war, including a British ambassador.

The powers were all eager for peace; none wanted such a colossal war to end all wars. After weeks of dialogue, everyone except Britain agreed to the following compromise:

1. All the attendees would recognize Indian independence, and the territorial gains of Germany and China at Dutch expense.

2. The Princely States of India would be able to choose between continued vassalage under Britain (without penalty for their neutrality in the war), or forfeiting their titles and being annexed by India. (with the knowledge that most would probably choose the former, not wanting to lose their titles)

3. The rest of the British Empire would be left intact.

4. Queen Victoria would formally go to Beijing, kowtow before the young Emperor Guangxi, and there formally renounce all Imperial claims, titles, and regalia regarding India, so that China might deliver them to whosoever India chose to be its new monarch or other leader.

5. Coalition forces would withdraw from the rest of the British Empire and leave it intact.

The peace terms seemed quite reasonable to all the participants, especially considering the scale of the Chinese and German victory, and the agreement, known as the 1890 Treaty of Berlin, passed with with only one negative vote.

The negative vote was Britain's.

The British ambassador stood up and made a furious speech, prepared in advance by the British government in case of this eventuality. In the speech, the British berated their fellow Europeans, accusing them of betrayal - with references to the Yellow Terror, the ambassador declared that the Chinese were an uncivilized menace that would consume all the world and that through their betrayal of Britain in its time of need, the Great Powers were dooming themselves. Such racist rhetoric, however, did not sway the participants in the slightest.

The ambassador then stormed out, and Britain refused to abide by the terms of the agreement despite a unanimous international demand.

MYbCx4F.jpg

The only terms Britain would accept was a "white peace," with India annexed anew by Britain. The suggestion was ludicrous.

1pQdG7h.jpg

ZJlnzpH.jpg

61ijclp.jpg

Unfortunately for Britain, the Treaty had enforcement provisions, and their fellow Europeans wanted the catastrophic economic shockwaves coming from the total blockade of Britain to end.

7MmOC0a.jpg

London fell swiftly to the Ottoman Empire, with German, French, and Italian armies soon joining the fray.

7K3PF1e.jpg

0kn2qga.jpg

Finally, with Coalition forces heading north towards their exiled base in Glassgow, the British government ratified the 1890 Treaty of Berlin.

The Fourth Sinocentric War, also known as the War of Indian Independence in India, was over at last. Britain remained furious at being the victims of "betrayal" by their fellow Europeans, never mind that their intervention was the only thing that stopped China from annexing the very British Isles themselves. This fury would one day manifest itself in the rise of English fascism, but that was a story for another day.

The Lhasa Coalition had won a total victory. And moreover, cementing the nation's power, China had secured alliances with several European powers who had decided it was better to be with China than against China; though none joined the League of Universal Prosperity.

And to cap it all, Queen Victoria formally arrived in Beijing, kow-towed before Guangxi, and handed over the Indian Imperial regalia to China. She stayed for the coronation ceremony - India had elected a new ruler, Peshwa Nana Sahib. As adoptive son of the former Maratha ruler, the tyrannical British had used the Doctrine of Lapse to strip him of all his inheritance. Filled with righteous anger, he had gone on to distinguish himself with heroic military leadership in the Sepoy Mutiny, and had been one of the founding leaders of the Indian National Congress. It was only right that he reclaim his inheritance, and more; the Peshwas had traditionally functioned in a manner akin to a Prime Minister, serving under a nominal Emperor while the Peshwas held the real power. But no more - Nana Sahib was given the formal Imperial regalia, crowned by Cixi herself on behalf of the young Guangxi Emperor.

The Maratha Empire was restored at last, as a new Indian Empire, under Peshwa Nana Sahib's courageous leadership and China's protection.

India was free. The Concert of Europe was over. Britain had been humiliatingly defeated like never before. And so began a new, Sinocentric world.

(aaaand going on hiatus again, this seems a great stopping point. Be back in, let's tentatively say early June? I just need to take a break)

Last edited:
Reactions:
And to cap it all, Queen Victoria formally arrived in Beijing, kow-towed before Guangxi, and handed over the Indian Imperial regalia to China.
YES!!!

I love the smell of burning empires in the morning.

Though there's one bit of a nitpick. I know the game still calls Turkey the Ottoman Empire, but if I remember correctly the Sultan was overthrown by anarcho-liberals several decades ago. Wouldn't it be more accurate to call it Republic of Turkey then? Or did the monarchists regain control?

Also, I'll be interested to know how much Britain's literacy rate increased after losing India.

Last edited:
Though there's one bit of a nitpick. I know the game still calls Turkey the Ottoman Empire, but if I remember correctly the Sultan was overthrown by anarcho-liberals several decades ago. Wouldn't it be more accurate to call it Republic of Turkey then? Or did the monarchists regain control?

Also, I'll be interested to know how much Britain's literacy rate increased after losing India.

I'm roleplaying it as the Ottoman Sultan still holding the titles of Sultan and Caliph while being a powerless figurehead, like after the Young Turk Revolution. But yes, the Ottoman Empire is currently a bourgeois dictatorship in game terms, and I spent much of the game helping them crush any rebellions because I didn't want them to leave my sphere.

And colonies don't effect literacy, so Britain's literacy shouldn't have changed at all. ^^

Ah cool, so the Chinese are more literate than the Brits. Awesome!

Oh, would it be possible to see a screenshot of what the demographics page looks like? I know you finished with the gameplay, so I understand if you didn't catch it.

I really, really, really, really hope that either the Brits or the Americans won't see the end of your campaign. By now I'm pretty sure that the Netherlands won't survive and will become a part of Greater Germany but I hope that you managed to end at least one of the major powers before 1936. It would be the ultimate proof of Chinese superiority

India starting uncivilized ?
I hope you made them westernized after the treaty.

A brilliant victory for sure. I always enjoy British defeats, even more when Victoria has to kow-tow in Peking :p

I found this quote attributed to the real Ci Xi on Wikipedia, found it quite relevant:
"I have often thought that i am the most clever woman that ever lived, and others cannot compare with me.... Although I have heard much about Queen Victoria...I don't think her life was half so interesting and eventful as mine.... she had... really nothing to say about the policy of the country. Now look at me. I have 400,000,000 people dependent on my judgement."
Link

Oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god

It's happening guys.

We're gonna have an Easternized World!