• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RedTemplar

Diagnosed Megacampaign Addict
88 Badges
Mar 10, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Iron Cross
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
The Light-Speed Lombards

Lombards%20in%20Space_zps3fhgy28g.png

Hello Stellaris friends!! This is largely a quick introduction/placeholder for this AAR project as I prepare to begin it. I am currently messing with some test games to get a decent feel for the mechanics of the game, but I seriously couldn't wait to begin a Stellaris AAR project, as I've been super hyped for this game for quite some time!!

Awhile back, I did two parts of a mega-campaign -- The Long-Lasting Lombards (CKII) and The Long(er) Lasting Lombards (EU4), following the journey of the world through an alternate history in which Byzantium never fell, Italy became a massive world power under the Bavarae dynasty, and poor little Brittany turned into a New World power only to be defeated by a Mexico colonized by Scottish Protestant immigrants. Fun, right?

While a Vic2 continuation of the game hasn't happened, it felt appropriate to make my first Stellaris AAR a continuation of this storyline into space. Of course, Stellaris cares very little about what happened on your planet politically and far more about what happens in space as humanity reaches the stars, so there's little point in me constructing an elaborate world history attempting to bridge another 200+ years of world history. Instead, I'll likely provide a little basic background and flavor, and leap into the AAR itself. I will have some more details on the specific settings and my customized human starting race soon, but for now I wanted to get an official thread down -- the mega-campaign is heading into space!

Subscribed!

Oh, I am absolutely following this adventure. You're an excellent author, I love the backstory for this Stellaris run, and I need more of the game in general.

Glad to have you guys on board!! I will be rather glossing over the "major points" of world history in this timeline, but I'm excited to see where it goes. I'm also working on a modded name list to properly weight the occurrence of certain ethnic types based on how the game turned out (fewer Muslim names, for example, but a lot more Indian ones) and adding more categories like Breton, Greek, etc.

Count me the hell in Red! Your writing is peerless so will really look forward to seeing the Lombards reach for the stars

I'm definitely looking forward to this! I'm also curious how your name lists will work out. I'll need to do something similar eventually myself.

I'm definitely looking forward to this! I'm also curious how your name lists will work out. I'll need to do something similar eventually myself.

It seems like you can just keep adding any unlimited number of name groups. So I'm swiping a lot of names from ethnic groups that were big players in the AAR and creating name groups for them. I'm also trying to work locations/people that were significant in the first two AARs in as ship names and so on. Thankfully, working on mods and backstories gives me time to let Paradox hopefully sort out some of the really bizarre AI issues going on.

*pops in the door*
*looks around*
*sees this is a RedTemplar AAR*
*subscribes*

*pops in the door*
*looks around*
*sees this is a RedTemplar AAR*
*subscribes*

You guys are far too flattering!!! I'm excited to get this rolling, however I want to make sure they address the AI issues, particularly with allies mindlessly following you and enemies sending a drip of one ship at a time to fight you before I get going in earnest. Look for a little flavor update somewhat shortly to set the stage!!

Also, I'm a little sad I didn't see it before, but the Commonwealth of Man default race looks like a TON of fun to write an AAR for. Perhaps that'll end up being a second project down the line?

Prologue - The World in 2200 A.D.
Part 1 - Old Europe

Stel%20Europe_zpsz0kdcpri.png

The Italian Empire was on the losing side of the First World War, waged from 1890 - 1897. That conflict was triggered by the attempts of Viceroy-King Agilof VII to secede his kingdom from the Empire, prompting Emperor Liutprand XIV to threaten war to preserve the empire. Agilof refused, and Liutprand mobilized the Italian army to quickly subdue the Bavarian resistance. Bavaria's claim was supported by Germany, the Wendish Empire, and Great Britain, and France was quick to come to their aid against a long-standing historical rival. Italy found support from an aggressive imperialist Russia and Spain, which had been set up with a pro-Italian government after the end of the resolution.

The fighting was a brutal and bloody stalemate, and its end result hinged on the participation of the Byzantine Empire. Emperor Alexios XIX remained neutral through the opening years of the war, but in 1895 agreed to join the Bavarian side of the war in exchange for promised territorial concessions from Italy and Spain. The entry of the Imperial Army into the war broke the back of Italy and its allies, and resulted in a peace conference hosted in Berlin in 1897. Italy was forced to recognize the independence of Bavaria, and surrender the valuable trade port of Ragusa to the Byzantines, who had lost it to the Italians many years prior. Additionally, Italy was required to hold popular elections in each of its Viceroy-Kingdoms so that each region could decide to remain in Italy or secede. Sicily chose to remain in the empire, but both Tunisia and Pannonia (which was renamed "Hungary" after its separation) chose to secede and become independent states. Italy was saddled with heavy economic penalties, and its Mediterranean Trade was heavily taxed for reparations. Likewise, Russia suffered its own losses, as it was forced to release its grip on occupied territory on its western borders, resulting in a free Lithuania. Spain gave up the port of Alexandria, and was forced to liberate its overseas colonies in the Americas.

It was not long, though, before ill will in Italy spilled over into a violent and powerful movement. As the Italian economy spiraled downward as a result of crippling sanctions and reparations, a sweeping nationalist movement began to gain momentum. In 1938, the empire fell into chaos when Emperor Rodipert Bavarae was assassinated on the orders of his son, Odoin, who took the throne with great promises of reconquest. Odoin set up a highly authoritarian military government headed by General Aimeric Faroingi, dissolving the Imperial Parliament and instituting strict martial rule over Italy. Preaching a return to "pure" Lombard life and culture, Odoin and Aimeric invaded Spain in 1941, touching off World War II.

The conquest of Spain lead to the proclamation of a new empire -- christened "Lombardia" by Emperor Odoin, to recall its heritage. Great Britain, France, and the European German states joined together, but the Allied Powers struggled against a revitalized Lombard army, whose massive navy locked down the Mediterranean and punished its enemies with air power. In a shocking change of heart, the Byzantine Empire joined with Lombardia, marking an almost impenetrable alliance.

Byzantium and Lombardia had their way with their rivals for some time, but the presence of large and organized civilian resistance movements slowed their progress. As Russia struggled to hold the line against Byzantium, it was a fatal flaw by Emperor Odoin that brought the war to an end. Bold and prepared to claim all of the former Lombard-controlled regions for his crown, Odoin invaded Africa -- controlled by the now-massive Empire of Mali, which had come to control the majority of the continent after winning several wars against its rivals in Abyssinia.

The African Campaign proved to have a high cost for Lombardia, and long slogs through the desert turned deadly as Mali's tanks, designed to function in the punishing desert conditions of their homeland, decimated Lombardic tank divisions by the dozens. Outmatched in desert warfare, Odoin and Aimeric watched as their military strength was sapped rapidly. Eager to put an end to their losses, they increased their offensives in Europe and moved to broker a peace agreement. In that agreement, the Lombards agreed to end their hostilities in exchange for control over Spain and the "French Corridor" -- a string of territories linking Iberia to Italy.

Through the 2000's, local movements led to the independence of Denmark from Germany and Ireland from Great Britain -- the former happening through extensive rioting and the latter through political pressure through the United Nations. By 2200 A.D., the western portion of Europe was generally peaceful and stable, with the majority of its crises resulting in diplomatic and economic pressure. Eastern Europe remained a tense region, as border friction between Russia, Scandinavia, and the Chinese Republic remained tense. The Middle East remained largely united under the Teutonic States of Arabia, a government almost entirely secularized after centuries of religious rule. The Teutonic Order relinquished its Knighthood and became a scholarly religious order, fostering a major scientific renaissance in the region, which became the center of several major scientific advances in bio-engineering.

So... Lombardia basically served the Third Reich's role in WW2. I didn't see that one coming. Interesting to see that Earth will apparently be so divided as mankind reaches toward the stars.

Also, the Teutonic States of Arabia sound amazing. I almost wish you were playing as them.

So... Lombardia basically served the Third Reich's role in WW2. I didn't see that one coming. Interesting to see that Earth will apparently be so divided as mankind reaches toward the stars.

Also, the Teutonic States of Arabia sound amazing. I almost wish you were playing as them.

Well I tried to throw in at least a couple surprises ;)

So it would seem like we have a mighty United Nations. I appreciate the little surprises and twists you added to the story, that deepens the world of the Lombards after the end in EU4.

However, I must ask, did Lombardia stay a dictatorship after the peace?

A lovely taster prologue-as others have said it seems the world is only just 'united'. I will be interested to see what human hegemony in space looks like but appreciate that Paradox need to iron out some AI issues 1st

Great start