• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When my ancestors went across the seas to find weath and fame did they turn away any sword because they worshiped other gods? No, as long as they swore loyalty and would stand firm in the shield wall they were welcomed as brothers no matter what what they believed. The reformation was a mistake and our ancesters looking down on us from Valhalla are ashamed that we are becoming as intolerant as the enemys they fought against to defend our land. The clergy are not trying to defend our traditions and the words of the Allfather, they are trying to make us kneel at their feet. Appealling to the masses that only they know the will of the gods and if the Scanian faithful follow them they will have to take my sword from my cold hand, the grip will be very tight, before any harm befalls the unbelievers. One against all the clergy and their supporters, I will take those odds, they no longer know which end of the sword to hold and when it ends I will take my place in Valhalla. Between fights I might watch as they languish in hel and with me will be those unbelievers for even though they doubt the Allfather they fought beside me and earned their place

Reactions:
Can't believe I missed this one!

Forgive me for asking, but why is France bacon? Am I missing something here @LumberKing ?

Reactions:
How does Francis Bacon relate to France being... oh. Clever.

Also @thisistherevolt don't reveal your position yet. The time will come, but that is not now. Stay silent and observe, you will know when to strike when it comes.

Completely disregarding that previous sentence does anyone want to buy some "I Worship the Aesir and I am Proud" Shirt Pins? Only $5 each! Vanir variant available for $3 more!

Reactions:
How does Francis Bacon relate to France being... oh. Clever.

Also @thisistherevolt don't reveal your position yet. The time will come, but that is not now. Stay silent and observe, you will know when to strike when it comes.

Completely disregarding that previous sentence does anyone want to buy some "I Worship the Aesir and I am Proud" Shirt Pins? Only $5 each! Vanir variant available for $3 more!
What is this $ currency you speak of?! Surely you accept souls condemned to Helheim as payment!

What is this $ currency you speak of?! Surely you accept souls condemned to Helheim as payment!

But good Sir of course! What else would it be?

By not believing in the Gods, you are forsaking them. Oh, how the Allfather would weep if all men were like you! You will be sent to Helheim for an eternity to think over your shameful actions and beliefs.
Helheim does not intimidate me in the slightest. Try experiencing a summer in Georgia/Metro Atlanta with no air conditioning. And then later in the year your heat fails during an ice storm.

Reactions:
Working on new chapter but Christmas... Conclave n stuff taking up time. In meantime I made a chart over the political system of Skåne before the civil war....

lP9FZRc.png

Reactions:
WENoNWm.png

Fróðr sá þykkisk,
er fregna kann
ok segja it sama;
eyvitu leyna
megu ýta synir,
því er gengr um guma.

Wise he is deemed who can question well,
and also answer back:
the sons of men can no secret make
of the tidings told in their midst.

The Kingdom falls into anarchy and almost the entirety of the Nobility and Clergy unite under the cry for war from Valentin Banner, the half-brother of his Holiness Fylkier Henrik I Banner. With him is also the young and ambitious Gregers af Närke from the powerful Marsvin family commanding the Swedish nobles soldiers and Gunnar Daa who commands the Fylkariate troops who were sent to support the movement. Her Majesty Queen Silje the Defender of the Crown and her Subjects stood there alone with no longer having the nobles supporting her she became powerless as the source of her troops disappeared and a lot of troops simply vanished from her command. Luckily she still has her general Halvor Urup loyal and ready to command the Royal forces.

5yOmaIA.png
62SjOZy.png
PBYIIfK.png

The Royal Army led by Halvor immediately moves in to fight Greger and retake control of the Swedish nobles. The battle starts of as a disaster to the Royal forces but Halvor somehow manages to turn the tide to his favor and just barely defeats Gregers Marsvin.

XKgFFk9.png
9Tbhwlm.png
lY2akaW.png

Marsvin looses and flees to join with Valentin later in the south. Gunnar Daa is defeated by the Mercenary forces who were stationed in Finland. Valentin continues to advance across the sound islands closing in on our great capital.

O5lY2lx.png
6VGFHqn.png
g7U669z.png

Seeing an opportunity open up with most of the Royal Forces occupied in the North and the armies of Valentin Banner being the main concern of Queen Silje's loyal officers the current head of the Reventlow family, a young noble, sees his opportunity to try and claim the crown for himself and surprises the garrison of Trelleborg as his forces appear infront of them demanding Her Majesties unconditional surrender before his superior forces.

fyuKVNi.png
oBFrHuP.png

But it soon becomes clear that a lot of the soldiers within the Royal ranks have at some time been supplied by the noble lords they were now fighting and with the Crowns authority seemingly breaking apart all around them many of them returned home to their Lords to fight with them. The Queen's officers dismayed do their best to improve the situation and refill the ranks with troops from the Scanian heartland that were not under control of rebels. Northern Skåne, Blekinge, Halland, Småland and Götaland. This proves to be ridicilously expensive and the decision is made to abolish the Foreign Armies as the First Deputy of the Bank of Trelleborg on behalf of the Crown can not broker a deal for a loan unless they cut some expenses.

yLBZgIS.png

The young and inexperienced Glum panics as his scouts spot the entire Royal forces starting to surround him. He tries to move out of the way, away from Trelleborg. But commander Halvor Urup are fully aware of the maneuver and engages him in Halland with the Skottish Garrison now having landed standing as reserves in Västergötland. Unfortunately it proves that Sir Reventlow is a quite good commander when put on the spot and manages to defeat the much older and experienced Halvor Urup by pushing hard with his cavalry and not letting the Royal Armies and Skottish Garrison to organize themselves. With this disastrous loss Valentin af Banner takes the opportunity to push forward and lay besiege to our dear capital trapping our Queen within its walls.

FpvqYEi.png
MN1pf9F.png
pptv0dF.png

This happened in late August and it won't take until February next year before the Royal Armies and the Skottish Guard has recovered from the loss and can again strike at the rebels. When they reach the heartland again Trelleborg is about to fall to the siege and Glum have taken control of the highly populated provinces of Halland and Småland. Glum show his formidable skill yet again but this time Sir Urup and his officers are ready for the task at hand and take the young noble seriously and properly and forces his army to retreat while taking heavy casualties in the process.

BbTuKwL.png
0yhcfGA.png
ITM00lF.png

Valentin hears of the victory in the north and gets worried and as such moves up to Blekinge to try and take an advanced position in the forest so that the Scanian Army can not engage him in the open fields of Skåne. Which thankfully gives the Scanian Army breathing room. With the siege lifted the City can again gain access to food but merchants seeing the rising demand on life necessities increase their prices in the name of profit. Her Majesty though caring for her subjects reach out and buys huge supplies of food to feed not herself or her armies but the entirety of the City.

8UMV5z1.png
5YWMCpH.png

Reactions:
The Queen is advised by her court to flee the city and take refuge in the Scandinavian Fell as the Valentin army was marching back to resume the siege of the City. But Silje even though she was not a warrior or even good in the matters of war and she very well knew this still held her chin up and with pride said she was her Father's daughter and his heir to the Kingdom. She shall not flee like a coward and abandon her home as the ones loyal to her would starve and die a most gruesome death within the walls. So... the Royal Forces and the Skottish Garrison just in the nick of time manages to get to Trelleborg before Valentin Banner reaches it. Lord Halvor af Urup have no chance against the much much larger and well rested army of Lord Banner and so many fall dead.

sBaSpHs.png
kWeOrhA.png

Another Pretender tries to claim their right to the Throne, one of the old Finnish noble families that were conquered during the time the Norse faith was reformed. The noble revolting against the Crown is Folke af Bang. His force is however too small and too far away to even register as important for the current conflict. But as time passes Sir Bang gathers support from other lords who wants to see the wicked Queen replaced. The First Royal Army moves to Finland and makes quick work of Folke's personal army.

gswj8RL.png
DUPl1Xk.png
n1kbpPp.png

But Grave news come from Skåne as the siege is lost and the Queen captured. Valentin Banner and his brother his Holiness Fylkir Banner demand her unconditional surrender... but... she refuses... Valentin and Henrik Banner are unsure what to do, but puts her to house arrest and assumes control of the Capital and start referring to himself as Valentin The First, Ruler of Skåne with his brother's blessing. He sends message to the Royal Forces still loyal to their Queen that if they lay down their arms that they will receive amnesty for their wrongdoings. Halvor Urup and his officers panic not knowing what to do but the commanding officer named Ranulf af Cornouaille of the Skottish Guard sees their doubts and decides to take matter in his own hands. He gives the response for them and on behalf of the Skots, the Bretons, the Hávamálers and all other groups of the Kingdom that they are loyal until upon the day the Gods call for Ragnarökr to the Queen who call them Scanians, the Queen who admit them as equals in the eye of the crown and that they shall rather tear the realm apart than to bow before the puppet of the Fylkir.

lZQ2REv.png
04U1NwK.png

Two years pass, with near to no change in the status. Valentin rules the Kingdom while her Majesty slowly fade within the walls of the castle. The tensions are still high amid the population. The Royal Forces out of manpower and so have to resort to sneaking around and avoiding Valentin's army at all cost. Lord Urop manages to trick Banner to come chasing after him deep into the forests of Småland and even farther up North which opens up Trelleborg to be taken back and the Her Majesty rescued. At the time that control of Trelleborg falls back into her Majesty's hand Valentin has followed a goose-chase all the way up to Hälsingland. But Halvor Urup is an old and sick man and dies in the siege to rescue the Queen.

Xm0s9GJ.png
c874AA4.png
3Ovfgus.png

In the Iberian peninsula the diplomatic network and military might of Gascone has more or less guaranteed peace and a new golden age for the Iberian nations and several major discoveries about science start to emerge from there. In the year 1550 the Microscope is created by a spectacle-maker. Gotland being a big trading hub in the north conforms to the teachings of the Hávamáltrú as it fits their way of life much better. With the Traditionalists the realm seemingly become more and more unstable and the furthest reaches of the Kingdom unruly.

FONijqD.png
Cn5Vvss.png
8CGNHH1.png

Skåne falls and the Queen is returned into power and the Banner brothers furious of the stunt that the late commander Urup managed to pull on them. But the people of Trelleborg is divided and the return of the queen does not go well and the city starts burning as its citizens go out o riot. The man we know before that pulled the Royal forces together by the name Sir Ranulf af Cornouaille sees an opening with the vacuum left behind Halvor Urup and offers not only his own services to the Kingdom but the entirety of the Skottish and Breton people to the Queen. He only asks for a chance to prove it.

Now saying that the people who consistently have been opposing the rule from the Crown in Trelleborg throughout the generations is now just going to turn and support it was unbelievable for Silje and it sounded like Ranulf was lying to her. But she was running out of options not knowing what to do and accepted his offer. She did not realized that by her opposing the traditional ways of the oppressive and greedy Princes of Skotland and accepting the Breton officers offer she changed the tables on everything and the Skots and Bretons reacted fast. The Skottish Princes were among some of the causes to this entire civil war and was openly supporting the Traditionalist factions and would be among the first to feel the Hangmans noose around their neck upon the end of all this. And it didn't hurt that Ranulf was an... excellent commander with years of experience of warfare.

KKDZVXq.png
fMvJnX1.png
bRieT5k.png

Then the words come out, "Bretons, Skots, I as your Queen need your aid to protect our realm from your own lords, I beg of you to protect your Kingdom so your children shall grow up as Bretons and Skots". Thousands of fresh men enlist to the Royal Forces and the Skottish Garrison, old Breton and Skottish veterans that used to serve in the Foreign Armies as mercenaries becomes part of the before pure Scanian military and they move north to face Valentin. Ranulf tricks Lord Banner to attack them in the horrible terrain of Västerbotten and ambushes them over a river. Valentin instead of retreating is confident in is numerical superiority and continues to push on.... and it quickly goes badly for him.

Forty-five thousand men dies in that frozen river in that cold day of October. Forty-Five thousand of Traditionalist troops and the Skots and Breton forces return home to Trelleborg almost unscathed.

uTkfwu9.png
pDGxw6I.png
B2wheDN.png

There are some rebellions still alive in Finland and Prussia but the big threat has been eliminated and the Kingdom of Skåne is finally on the path, to patch itself back together. Stronger and more united than ever before. This is the time that Skåne truly starts to move on its path to become the Great Power of Europe. First Queen Silje reforms the Skottish Garrison to the Royal Celtic Guard, no longer being there to keep the Skots in check but a proud addition to the Forces of the Scanian Crown. Even as the Traditionalist Nobles and Clergy becomes imprisoned it becomes clear that the new policies of the Crown and the Högting is not completely followed by all in the country and it becomes a big concern for the Queen. Ranulf suggest to her that a "Fredsvakt" should be established to police the cities and villages to keep order and ensure that the law is followed.

Ranulf has also shown the future of Skåne. It is not in our men or the quality of them. It is that when pressured our Kingdom produces some of the greatest leaders in the world to guide the nation forward. First we had Milzas who without him we would not be where we are today. A closer to now example is King Eskild the Great the late father of her Majesty Silje who pulled Skåne through a deeply troubling time of both economical crisis and military pressure from our neighbors and re-established the Kingdom as a dominant power in the north.

mH6FKo0.png
uPI56bM.png

A Seljuk Cartographer creates a terrestrial globe which shows the world as we know it with a lot of help from Scanian traders who reach all the way from Nahualand to Cathay. The times of trouble seemed to be past the Queen but the new policies of hers will be tried once more as yet another view on the state of the gods pops up in Skotland...

pQdei38.png
qElpvQZ.png

Sorry no map, got a bit late when writing this, will upload one tomorrow.

Reactions:
Just when I thought the humanists were going to win...everything bad happens. Now we've got another Reformation happening. Heresy must be stamped out!

Humanists did win? You mean the Traditionalists?

Reactions: