• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 246: The Summer Crisis, Part 2 - Perfidious Lithuania

Reichstag, Berlin - 30 June 1914, 12:00 PM
1024px-Reichstagsgebaeude.jpg

"Esteemed Senators of the Imperial Diet of Rome and other guests, please welcome the Kaiser of the Romans."

The assembled senators rose from their seats and applauded as Gott erhalte den Kaiser blared from the instruments of the orchestra in the corner. The journalists got their cameras ready as Franz Joseph appeared from a side door, accompanied by Crown Prince Karl, Chancellor Bethmann-Hollweg, the chiefs of the General Staff, and all of the senior cabinet officials. It had been a long time since the Kaiser addressed the entire Diet and government for an occasion other than a petty senatorial debate or the New Year's opening of the Diet speech. It would also be the first time that the Kaiser's speech was broadcast over radio, though the primitive nature of early radios meant that not many people would have listened in.

Franz Joseph took his place at the podium and shuffled his papers. He cleared his throat and began reading, knowing full well that he was not only addressing senators, ministers, and generals, but also the Roman people as a whole.

"My fellow citizens, countrymen, Romans," he began, "For many years, I have struggled to cope with the loss of first my wife, then my son, and then my brother. Many members of my family had been killed by the despicable Black Hand terror group. I swore after my brother died that they would not take another of my family away from me."

He paused to catch his breath. The entire chamber was silent. The journalists were scribbling away in their notepads, probably wondering why the Kaiser had not used the royal "We." The senators simply stared at him, like statues.

"Two days ago," he continued, "I received news that my dearest nephew and chosen successor, Franz Ferdinand--God rest his poor soul!--was along with his wife mercilessly gunned down by a Lithuanian terrorist acting on orders from the Black Hand. Like many of you, I reacted to his untimely death with shock and horror. Many questions raced through my head. Who would become the next in line to the throne? Who is responsible for this despicable act of barbarism? How should I react? Why did this happen? The answer to the first question is simple: Franz Ferdinand's successor as Crown Prince is his nephew, Karl, who you see standing next to me. But the answers to the other questions are not found so easiliy."

He shuffled his papers again.

"It is known that the murder was carried out by agents of the Black Hand, a terrorist organization dedicated to Lithuanian nationalism. They are based in Lithuania's southern provinces, where Vilnius has allowed them to operate untouched if not support them covertly. For too long the Roman Empire, the greatest and most civilized empire that has ever graced this world, the empire blessed by God Himself, has put up with the antics and escapades of a puny little pagan Baltic kingdom which thinks it is the equal of Rome itself. For too long we have given them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the Black Hand. No more! In killing no less than four members of the imperial family, three of them heirs to the empire itself in all of its grandeur and splendor, Lithuania, in not reining in the Black Hand when it had the chance or supporting the terror group in its operations, has crossed the line. The policy of patience with Vilnius is over. If they wish to destabilize our Reich and kill our citizens, then we shall repay them in kind. No longer will they get away with the murders of Hohenzollerns. The barbarians ruling in Vilnius shall be reminded of their place in the world. If they do not heed the reminders, then they shall be forcibly put in place. I have already tasked Chancellor Bethmann-Hollweg with discussing matters of national security with the Russian government; he shall leave for Tsarberg tomorrow. But mark my words: we will never forget this act of barbarity and treachery. We will never forget Lublin. We shall avenge Lublin!"

The senators burst into applause, and the chamber was illuminated with flashes from the cameras as journalists snapped up pictures of the Kaiser leaving the chamber.

The next day, the headlines spread word of the Kaiser's speech around the Reich. Headlines screamed "KAISER DEMANDS JUSTICE FOR SLAIN PRINCE," "REMEMBER LUBLIN," and simply "PERFIDIOUS LITHUANIA." The common citizens, still mourning the loss of their beloved prince, felt their sorrow turn into rage, a rage unlike no other, a rage directed against Lithuania. Overnight, the public became overwhelmingly patriotic and mostly jingoistic. They wanted blood. They wanted war. They wanted Lithuania to pay, for every single Lithuanian to feel the pain that each Roman citizen felt when Franz Ferdinand was gunned down. The Roman people cried out for vengeance and justice. Franz Joseph would make sure their cries would not go unanswered.

20160708125641_1.jpg

---

And that's the speech update! I'll admit that I'm not that much of a speechwriter, but I hope this fits well! Anyways, the plan for the next update is that it will not be character-based and instead cover the whole month of July. Don't worry, there will be more things to cover than the actual crisis!

In addition, there are a few things I would like to discuss while I'm here. I've been thinking about plans for two future AARs after I finish the HOI3 and NWO parts of the megacampaign. One is a Darkest Hour Kaiserreich reboot of Return of the Celestial Empire, my first AAR. The second is a Vicky II New World Order Italy AAR, where I'm planning to keep the monarchy and attempt to (re)install or prop up as many monarchies around the world as possible. I'd like to know your opinion on these plans. Should I do one of them first, and which one?

In addition, there are a few things I would like to discuss while I'm here. I've been thinking about plans for two future AARs after I finish the HOI3 and NWO parts of the megacampaign. One is a Darkest Hour Kaiserreich reboot of Return of the Celestial Empire, my first AAR. The second is a Vicky II New World Order Italy AAR, where I'm planning to keep the monarchy and attempt to (re)install or prop up as many monarchies around the world as possible. I'd like to know your opinion on these plans. Should I do one of them first, and which one?

Return of the Celestial Empire sounds neat.

This is why you don't kill heirs to the strongest nation in the world. If you fail to shatter their will, they will retaliate more than you can hope to counter... Considering you said you may end up taking territory assuming the Central Powers win (which I am obviously hoping for), I imagine Lithuania will become a OPM in revenge.

I'm biased, as I never read your Return of the Celestial Empire story, so I'll say I would love to see a V2 New World Order Italy AAR down the line.

Seeing as the Reich seems to be following the path of real life Austria, I hope their fates are not the same. :D
The difference is that the Reich actually has a decent military that can fight, unlike Austria-Hungary, which couldn't even defeat the Italians or the Bulgarians.

This is why you don't kill heirs to the strongest nation in the world. If you fail to shatter their will, they will retaliate more than you can hope to counter... Considering you said you may end up taking territory assuming the Central Powers win (which I am obviously hoping for), I imagine Lithuania will become a OPM in revenge.

I'm biased, as I never read your Return of the Celestial Empire story, so I'll say I would love to see a V2 New World Order Italy AAR down the line.
OPM is a bit too much, I'm thinking more of one-state minor, confined to just the state of Lietuva. It'll be a nice little buffer between me and Russia!:D
Well, we already have AV Obo doing a Monarchist Italy AAR. Meanwhile, I've never seen a complete KR Qing Empire AAR. I support the latter.
Is that so? Oh well. I might still do the Italy AAR, but I'll just wait and see what AV Obo does with his first. I guess Return of the Celestial Empire it is, then!
Seeing as the Reich seems to be following the path of real life Austria, I hope their fates are not the same. :D
(cough) Roman Republic (cough) expulsion of Hohenzollerns (cough) Anschluss (cough) :p
The difference is that the Reich actually has a decent military that can fight, unlike Austria-Hungary, which couldn't even defeat the Italians or the Bulgarians.
Yeah, Austria-Hungary isn't really a good comparison to the Reich outside of the imperial family (it took a whole year and a bunch of German support just to take Serbia). Imperial Germany would be a better analog. You may have noticed that I've been using pictures from the German Empire. When If war breaks out, I'll be using a mix of both German and Austro-Hungarian troop pictures.

Reactions:
Chapter 247: The Summer Crisis, Part 3 - The July Ultimatum

Berlin - 6 July 1914
"...it is in the interests of the Russian people and the Rurikovich dynasty that our two great nations stand together against Lithuanian aggression," read Franz Joseph, "The Russian military is prepared to support any actions taken by the imperial legions, and the Duma wholeheartedly supports any course of action Berlin decides on."

He put down the telegram. Bethmann-Hollweg had done well. The Russians would support the Reich no matter what happened, no matter how big a war they were dragged into. Now all he had to do was wait.
20160708125657_1.jpg

It didn't take long for the Scandinavians to entangle themselves in the crisis. Athanatoi agents in Stockholm intercepted a telgram from China intended for Fylkir Thorbjorn. It was written and sent by the Guangxu Emperor himself, who reassured Thorbjorn that as a member of the Tianxia Alliance (or Allied Powers), should the Reich declare war on Lithuania and Scandinavia be called in as an ally of Lithuania, the Chinese Empire would fulfill its obligations as a member of the Allies and declare war on the Reich. The Diet and the General Staff panicked. What seemed like an easy war with Lithuania just a week ago threatened to escalate into a global conflict, with the Reich facing off against China itself. Nobody wanted a war with China, but everybody wanted a war with Lithuania. But the Reich could not attack Lithuania without dragging in China. The Bureau of Foreign Affairs was thrown into disorder when Athanatoi in Chicago reported that Dohumme was considering a similar declaration of support for Lithuania, which would drag the Eimerican Confederation (or Federation) into a potential war, spreading conflict into the Eimericas as well.
20160708125748_1.jpg

As outright war was now out of the question, Franz Joseph decided to negotiate first. He hoped that diplomacy would force Vilnius to come to its senses and apologize for the murder of the prince. The Lithuanian government did not as much send condolences for his death! So while Franz Ferdinand's body lay in state in Berlin, awaiting his funeral, Franz Joseph wrote up an ultimatum to be delivered to August's doorstep.

The ultimatum went as follows:

We, Franz Joseph I von Hohenzollern, Kaiser of the Romans, Emperor of the Greeks and Germans, Holy Roman Emperor of the German Princes, Emperor of Britannia, Arabia, Carpathia, etc., King of Kings, King of Jerusalem and Germany, Duke of Brandenburg and Thrace, Count of Berlin, Constantinople, and Jerusalem, Protector of the Weak and the Oppressed, Defender of the Christian Faith, etc. etc. etc., demand the Lithuanian state to formally and publicly condemn the "dangerous propaganda" against the peace-loving Roman Empire, the ultimate aim of which is to detach from the Hohenzollern Monarchy and the Senate and People of Rome the territories belonging to them. Moreover, Vilnius should suppress by every means this criminal and terrorist propaganda.

In addition, the Lithuanian government should

1. Suppress all publications which incite hatred and contempt of the Hohenzollern Monarchy and the Roman People and Nation and are directed against their territorial integrity.
  2. Dissolve the Lithuanian nationalist organisation Black Hand and all other such societies in Lithuanian, state-sponsored or not.
  3. Eliminate without delay from schoolbooks and public documents all propaganda against the Roman Reich.
  4. Remove from the Lithuanian military and civil administration all officers and functionaries whose names the Imperial Government will provide.
  5. Accept in Lithuania representatives of the Imperial Government for the suppression of subversive movements, including those threatening the integrity of Lithuania.
  6. Bring to trial all accessories to the Prince's assassination and allow Imperial delegates (law enforcement officers) to take part in the investigations.
  7. Arrest all those who were named as participants in the assassination plot but not tried already.
  8. Cease the cooperation of the Lithuanian authorities in the traffic in arms and explosives across the frontier; dismiss and punish the officials guarding the border, who are guilty of having assisted the perpetrators of the Lublin crime.
  9. Provide explanations to the Imperial Government regarding Lithuanian officials who have expressed themselves in interviews in terms of hostility to the Imperial Government.
  10. Notify the Imperial Government "without delay" of the execution of the measures comprised in this ultimatum.

We shall expect the reply of the Lithuanian Government by latest on 5:00 PM, Saturday 25 July 1914.

An Appendix to the main text listed various details from "the crime investigation undertaken at court in Lublin against Gediminas Principas and his comrades on account of the assassination", which allegedly demonstrated the culpability and assistance provided to the conspirators by various Lithuanian officials.

Instructions were given to the Roman ambassador in Vilnius, Baron von Gieslingen, whereby if "no unconditionally positive answer" is received by the Lithuanian government within "the 48-hour deadline" of the ultimatum ("as measured from the day and hour of your announcing it"), the Minister should proceed to leave the Imperial Embassy of Vilnius together with all of its personnel.
20160708125756_1.jpg
July 25th rolled around, and Vilnius remained silent. Five minutes after the deadline passed, the Roman embassy packed up everything, boarded a train to Berlin, and left Lithuania for good.

Franz Joseph continued to wait. The days rolled past, and more and more ministers and senators assumed that the ultimatum either got lost in the mail or that August wasn't going to respond to it. They advised him to act quickly and impose sanctions. The Kaiser refused, saying that imposing sanctions without justification would provoke China into mobilizing its troops along its borders with Provincia Indochina and Mittagsland.

Finally, on August 7, the Athanatoi reported that August had recieved the ultimatum and was reading it. It took another month before a response arrived from Vilnius. Franz Joseph opened the letter, expecting the Lithuanians to act appropriately. He was not disappointed.

F*** you.

~August I Palemonaitis, King of the Lithuanians, Emperor of the Ruthenians, Chosen of Perkunas, Duke of Lietuva, Count of Vilnius, Protector of the Lithuanian People, Defender of the Romuva Faith, THE TRUE HEIR TO THE ROMAN EMPIRE, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
20160708125926_1.jpg
20160708130442_1.jpg

Without another thought, Franz Joseph ordered harsh sanctions imposed on Lithuania.

---

The next update will talk about further escalation of this crisis and attempts to resolve it peacefully. It'll also involve something in Poland...

Last edited:
Chapter 247: The Summer Crisis, Part 3 - The July Ultimatum

Berlin - 6 July 1914
"...it is in the interests of the Russian people and the Rurikovich dynasty that our two great nations stand together against Lithuanian aggression," read Franz Joseph, "The Russian military is prepared to support any actions taken by the imperial legions, and the Duma wholeheartedly supports any course of action Berlin decides on."

He put down the telegram. Bethmann-Hollweg had done well. The Russians would support the Reich no matter what happened, no matter how big a war they were dragged into. Now all he had to do was wait.
View attachment 201291
It didn't take long for the Scandinavians to entangle themselves in the crisis. Athanatoi agents in Stockholm intercepted a telgram from China intended for Fylkir Thorbjorn. It was written and sent by the Guangxu Emperor himself, who reassured Thorbjorn that as a member of the Tianxia Alliance (or Allied Powers), should the Reich declare war on Lithuania and Scandinavia be called in as an ally of Lithuania, the Chinese Empire would fulfill its obligations as a member of the Allies and declare war on the Reich. The Diet and the General Staff panicked. What seemed like an easy war with Lithuania just a week ago threatened to escalate into a global conflict, with the Reich facing off against China itself. Nobody wanted a war with China, but everybody wanted a war with Lithuania. But the Reich could not attack Lithuania without dragging in China. The Bureau of Foreign Affairs was thrown into disorder when Athanatoi in Chicago reported that Dohumme was considering a similar declaration of support for Lithuania, which would drag the Eimerican Confederation (or Federation) into a potential war, spreading conflict into the Eimericas as well.
View attachment 201292
As outright war was now out of the question, Franz Joseph decided to negotiate first. He hoped that diplomacy would force Vilnius to come to its senses and apologize for the murder of the prince. The Lithuanian government did not as much send condolences for his death! So while Franz Ferdinand's body lay in state in Berlin, awaiting his funeral, Franz Joseph wrote up an ultimatum to be delivered to August's doorstep.

The ultimatum went as follows:

We, Franz Joseph I von Hohenzollern, Kaiser of the Romans, Emperor of the Greeks and Germans, Holy Roman Emperor of the German Princes, Emperor of Britannia, Arabia, Carpathia, etc., King of Kings, King of Jerusalem and Germany, Duke of Brandenburg and Thrace, Count of Berlin, Constantinople, and Jerusalem, Protector of the Weak and the Oppressed, Defender of the Christian Faith, etc. etc. etc., demand the Lithuanian state to formally and publicly condemn the "dangerous propaganda" against the peace-loving Roman Empire, the ultimate aim of which is to detach from the Hohenzollern Monarchy and the Senate and People of Rome the territories belonging to them. Moreover, Vilnius should suppress by every means this criminal and terrorist propaganda.

In addition, the Lithuanian government should

1. Suppress all publications which incite hatred and contempt of the Hohenzollern Monarchy and the Roman People and Nation and are directed against their territorial integrity.
  2. Dissolve the Lithuanian nationalist organisation Black Hand and all other such societies in Lithuanian, state-sponsored or not.
  3. Eliminate without delay from schoolbooks and public documents all propaganda against the Roman Reich.
  4. Remove from the Lithuanian military and civil administration all officers and functionaries whose names the Imperial Government will provide.
  5. Accept in Lithuania representatives of the Imperial Government for the suppression of subversive movements, including those threatening the integrity of Lithuania.
  6. Bring to trial all accessories to the Prince's assassination and allow Imperial delegates (law enforcement officers) to take part in the investigations.
  7. Arrest all those who were named as participants in the assassination plot but not tried already.
  8. Cease the cooperation of the Lithuanian authorities in the traffic in arms and explosives across the frontier; dismiss and punish the officials guarding the border, who are guilty of having assisted the perpetrators of the Lublin crime.
  9. Provide explanations to the Imperial Government regarding Lithuanian officials who have expressed themselves in interviews in terms of hostility to the Imperial Government.
  10. Notify the Imperial Government "without delay" of the execution of the measures comprised in this ultimatum.

We shall expect the reply of the Lithuanian Government by latest on 5:00 PM, Saturday 25 July 1914.

An Appendix to the main text listed various details from "the crime investigation undertaken at court in Lublin against Gediminas Principas and his comrades on account of the assassination", which allegedly demonstrated the culpability and assistance provided to the conspirators by various Lithuanian officials.

Instructions were given to the Roman ambassador in Vilnius, Baron von Gieslingen, whereby if "no unconditionally positive answer" is received by the Lithuanian government within "the 48-hour deadline" of the ultimatum ("as measured from the day and hour of your announcing it"), the Minister should proceed to leave the Imperial Embassy of Vilnius together with all of its personnel.
View attachment 201293 July 25th rolled around, and Vilnius remained silent. Five minutes after the deadline passed, the Roman embassy packed up everything, boarded a train to Berlin, and left Lithuania for good.

Franz Joseph continued to wait. The days rolled past, and more and more ministers and senators assumed that the ultimatum either got lost in the mail or that August wasn't going to respond to it. They advised him to act quickly and impose sanctions. The Kaiser refused, saying that imposing sanctions without justification would provoke China into mobilizing its troops along its borders with Provincia Indochina and Mittagsland.

Finally, on August 7, the Athanatoi reported that August had recieved the ultimatum and was reading it. It took another month before a response arrived from Vilnius. Franz Joseph opened the letter, expecting the Lithuanians to act appropriately. He was not disappointed.

F*** you.

~August I Palemonaitis, King of the Lithuanians, Emperor of the Ruthenians, Chosen of Perkunas, Duke of Lietuva, Count of Vilnius, Protector of the Lithuanian People, Defender of the Romuva Faith, THE TRUE HEIR TO THE ROMAN EMPIRE, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
View attachment 201294 View attachment 201295
Without another thought, Franz Joseph ordered harsh sanctions imposed on Lithuania.

---

The next update will talk about further escalation of this crisis and attempts to resolve it peacefully. It'll also involve something in Poland...
Well,they had reason.Such ultimatum independence-loving Ruthenians watched as declaration of war.Also,on map all can see that 60-90k corpses Reich has near the borders of Lithuania,and Lithuania-Ruthenia has corpses only of 30-40k troops.
All in all,interesting chapter.

Hahahaha... the funniest part of this is Lithuania claiming to be the true heir to the Roman Empire. In what possible way can anyone claim the Reich isn't Rome's heir? It'll never come up, but I picture even the Chinese Empire questioning Lithuania's logic on that one.

Reactions:
Chapter 248: The Summer Crisis, Part 4 - The Polish Incursion and the End of the Concert of Eurasia

Germanos Line, Poland - 10 September 1914, 4:00 AM

BANG. CRACK. BOOM.

Gavrilo Princip was startled out of his sleep by the sound of gunfire and his fellow soldiers shouting.

"What the hell is going on at this time?!" he shouted.

"It's the Lithuanians!" replied one soldier, Albrecht. "They've charged the Line!"

Gavrilo promptly fell out of his bunk, hastily put on his uniform, grabbed his rifle, and ran out to the trenches that made up most of the Germanos Line. He peered over the ridge, looking over no man's land towards Lithuania. It was early morning, and he couldn't see much. The light fog that had rolled in overnight simply made the problem worse. Through the mist he could make out the outlines of men running towards him. One raised a gun and fired.

"Return fire!" shouted an officer.

Instinctively, Gavrilo raised his rifle. In one fluid motion, he peered through its sights, lining them up with one of the Lithuanian men, and pulled the trigger without another thought. The man cried out and collapsed, blood bursting from his side as the bullet tore through his chest.

"Nice shot," said Albrecht.

"Thanks," replied Gavrilo.

He had just killed his first soldier.

The squadron's machine gunner finally finished loading his gun and let loose a hail of fire, cutting down the rest of the Lithuanians like weeds. The screams of the dying men stuck with him, long after they had died away. They were everywhere around him. He looked over at the dead bodies lying across no man's land and then at the machine gun, its barrel still smoking.

"Ceasefire!" shouted the officer.

Gavrilo put down his rifle and staggered back to his bunk. He had killed another man. He never wanted to kill anybody. But he was a soldier. He wanted to be a soldier. He couldn't be a soldier without killing people.

He thought about what he had done. If he hadn't fired first, his men would have been shot at, injured, and probably killed. But he did shoot. He realized he had caused more tensions with Lithuania. His shot could very well be the first shot of a war, his kill the first casualty of the war.

He shook those thoughts out of his head and tried to sleep again. It didn't help that tomorrow was the day twelve years ago that Prince Rudolf had a hunting accident.
20160708130449_1.jpg

Kiev, three days later

"Thank you all for attending this emergency meeting," said Volodar to the assembled dignitaries seated at the conference table.

The table was mostly empty. The only royals at the table were Volodar himself and August, who sat opposite him. Scandinavia was representative by its Foreign Minister, while Chinese and Indian ambassadors sat on one side. There were no Roman representatives; Franz Joseph had refused to send a delegation.

"As you all know, three days ago a division of Lithuanian reservists 'accidentally' crossed the border into Roman Poland," said Volodar, "We are here to discuss how to best resolve this incident without resorting to force."

"Why don't you start off, Volodar?" asked August, "You convened the conference."

"But--"

"Where is the German delegation?" demanded August. "They were the ones who shot at us first!"

"You and I both know that is completely and utterly false--"

"SHUT UP!"

A courier burst into the room and whispered something into Volodar's ear. The Tsar's expression changed, becoming extremely serious.

"What is it?" said the Scandinavian minister.

"The Kaiser..." began Volodar. "Just issued an order a general mobilization of the legions and all reserves. My gods."

The room was silent. The silence broke when the Scandinavian minister got up and walked out the door, without saying anything to anybody.

August got up. "I'll have you know that before I came here, I also issued my own mobilization order. Farewell, and may we never see each other again."

The Lithuanian ruler stormed out of the room, followed by the Chinese ambassador.

20160708130505_1.jpg

Nanjing, four days later
1280px-Model-of-palace-of-heavenly-kingdom.JPG

Chancellor Yung stormed through the halls of the Imperial Palace. His mood was a mix of anger and fear. He had to talk to someone. It was a matter of national security.

Despite protests from the guards, he threw open the doors before him and barged into Zhu Mingzhi's study, where the emperor was sitting at his desk, talking with the Chief of the Jinyiwei, the Chinese intelligence agency and military police.

"Ah, Chancellor, it is so nice to see you--" said Zhu Mingzhi.

"Your Majesty, the Reich has mobilized its reserves," said Yung, "We must act quickly. The Diet is panicking. Yuan is on track to winning the party elections. If we do not act, the Reich will become invincible and destroy Lithuania!"

"Indeed," said the emperor, shuffling his papers, "You have any suggestions?"

"Um..." said Yung. "First, we ask the Lithuanians to tone down their claim to the heir of Daqin."

"No, We mean how to deal with the Reich's mobilization!"

"Uh...send our own ultimatum?"

"You're writing it for Us. If this ends badly, you're losing your job."

"Yes, Your Majesty." Yung bowed and left the room.

The emperor looked to the chief of the Jinyiwei. "It appears that you've got some work to do soon..."

---

Berlin, a few hours later

"Your Majesty," said a courier, "We've received a message from Nanjing."

"Put it on my desk," said Franz Joseph.

The courier placed a single sheet of paper on the desk, bowed, and left the room.

Franz Joseph picked up the paper and read it.

We, Zhu Mingzhi, the Guangxu Emperor, Blessed by Heaven, Lord of Ten Thousand Years, Emperor of China and All Under Heaven, Son of Heaven, etc. etc. etc., demand the Daqin state to formally and publicly condemn the "dangerous propaganda" against the peace-loving Lithuanian-Ruthenian Commonwealth, the ultimate aim of which is to destroy the Nation and deprive its people of sovereignty. Berlin must condemn the dangerous jingoist rhetoric being propagated throughout Europe at once.

In addition, the Daqin government should

1. Suppress all publications which incite hatred and contempt of the Lithuanian-Ruthenian Monarchy and the Lithuanian-Ruthenian People and Nation and are directed against their territorial integrity.
  2. Rescind the mobilization order at once.
  3. Eliminate without delay from schoolbooks and public documents all propaganda against the Commonwealth.
  4. Provide explanations to the Commonwealth Government regarding Daqin officials who have expressed themselves in interviews in terms of hostility to the Imperial Government.
  5. Notify the Imperial Chinese Government "without delay" of the execution of the measures comprised in this ultimatum.

We shall expect the reply of the Daqin Government within twenty-four hours. Should the warmongers in control of the government fail to heed this warning, the Chinese government is prepared to mobilize its reserves.

Franz Joseph threw the piece of paper across the study. How dare the Chinese oppose his will! The Romans were the true center of civilization, not the Chinese! He would not tolerate their interference in this crisis.

He got a paper and pen and began writing a response.

---

Nanjing, an hour later

"My Chancellor," said a courier, "We have received a response from Berlin."

"That was fast," said Yung, "Let's see what they said..."

F*** you.

~Franz Joseph I von Hohenzollern, Kaiser of the Romans, Emperor of the Greeks and Germans, Holy Roman Emperor of the German Princes, Emperor of Britannia, Arabia, Carpathia, etc., King of Kings, King of Jerusalem and Germany, Duke of Brandenburg and Thrace, Count of Berlin, Constantinople, and Jerusalem, Protector of the Weak and the Oppressed, Defender of the Christian Faith, etc. etc. etc.

"...oh," finished Yung.
20160708130528_1.jpg

You missed a Serbia in the ultimatum.
Fixed it now.
Well,they had reason.Such ultimatum independence-loving Ruthenians watched as declaration of war.Also,on map all can see that 60-90k corpses Reich has near the borders of Lithuania,and Lithuania-Ruthenia has corpses only of 30-40k troops.
All in all,interesting chapter.
Yes, everybody will die!:D
Hahahaha... the funniest part of this is Lithuania claiming to be the true heir to the Roman Empire. In what possible way can anyone claim the Reich isn't Rome's heir? It'll never come up, but I picture even the Chinese Empire questioning Lithuania's logic on that one.
You don't have to picture it now.:p

Well, sounds like there isn't much turning back now. Unlike in our history, doesn't seem like many people in power were trying to stop this war from occurring. It makes sense for the Reich and the Chinese Empire, as the Reich is too strong to be afraid and the Chinese Empire wants to prove they're the strongest. Lithuania, on the other hand... they deserve everything they have coming.
You don't have to picture it now.:p
Thank you for that scene, I feel bad for Yung.

Before conflicts break out, could we possibly get a short look at the military of the key players? I know the Reich has the largest army, but I'm wondering how many of your enemies have to work together to outnumber you.

Well, things are certainly heating up. Everyone's letting this whole thing get to their heads. Pride and hubris!

View attachment 201334>tfw your in the riechs army View attachment 201333 >tfw your in the Chinese army
Well, if it doesn't exist then it just doesn't exist, right?:p

Well, sounds like there isn't much turning back now. Unlike in our history, doesn't seem like many people in power were trying to stop this war from occurring. It makes sense for the Reich and the Chinese Empire, as the Reich is too strong to be afraid and the Chinese Empire wants to prove they're the strongest. Lithuania, on the other hand... they deserve everything they have coming.

Thank you for that scene, I feel bad for Yung.

Before conflicts break out, could we possibly get a short look at the military of the key players? I know the Reich has the largest army, but I'm wondering how many of your enemies have to work together to outnumber you.
I forgot to take screenshots of anybody's militaries (I've already played ahead substantially and can't take some right now without revealing major spoilers), but I recall a few things. Russia has the second largest army in the world, made mostly of infantry. I recently gave some extra infantry to Scandinavia, which they've concentrated along their border with Russia. I gave a few guards and dreadnoughts to China, but for some reason most of their armies are concentrated in North Eimerica. Fox has sizeable garrisons along its border with Kanata and can mobilize hundreds of thousands more troops. Lithuania's army is small, but they can also mobilize a large reserve. India has enough troops to overrun a large part of Southeast Asia, but they are all in India proper and Central Asia; its colonies are unguarded. Mali and Persia have barely enough soldiers to kill their own rebels and a small fleet of about five to ten ships. Abyssinia and Yavdi's armies are made up of maybe a dozen sizeable stacks of about thirty to forty thousand each. Tawantinsuyu's been piling up stacks of 20-80k soldiers on my borders. The Alliance has basically no army, as does Mayapan, although the latter makes up for that in a substantial naval force. Tarascan has a large army (which were originally the nationalist rebels) and no navy, but they're still not civilized, so they won't be able to do much. Kanata's army isn't that large, so I've stationed several dozen legions throughout the country to help it out. I don't remember that much else, other than I have events to give special modifiers and generals to China, Fox, and their allies. These modifiers grant more experience, morale, organization, mobilization size, decreased mobilization impact, and decreased war exhaustion gain, among other things.

Edit: they also get free historical generals (Chiang Kai-Shek, Yuan Shikai, etc.).

Well, things are certainly heating up. Everyone's letting this whole thing get to their heads. Pride and hubris!
You seem to have double-posted. And yes, everybody wants a war. Hail Caesar! Death to the barbarian scum!:D

Edit: Never mind about the double-post.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Welp, RIP the entire population of Lithuania, I hope you like getting gassed to death. Because it's about to happen, very, very soon. And I imagine China is not far behind. Does anyone other than you have Gas Attack? And does anyone have Gas Defense?

Chapter 249: The Summer Crisis, Part 5 - Peace's Last Chance

Baghdad - 25 September 1914

Peshwa Singh, the chancellor of the Indian Empire, shook Bethmann-Hollweg's hand, formalizing the treaty they had just signed a minute ago, as cameras flashed everywhere. The Reichskanzler was pleased on the inside. He had secured the last loose end of the Central Powers alliance. India was the second most powerful member of the Central Powers. It also shared a long land border with China. Should the Reich invade Lithuania and China intervene on behalf of Lithuania, the Romans needed India to support them against China. Without Indian troops, Indochina would fall rapidly to the Chinese onslaught.

A few hours later, he stepped into his temporary office in the city. Sunni Caliph Ibrahim von Ottoman was kind enough to let him use one of his rooms while he was in Baghdad. It even came with a telegraph that went straight to Berlin, one of the first of its kind, symbolically linking the eastern and western (from Berlin it went to Lisboa) halves of the empire.

He sat down at the telegraph and began typing. Of course, he could have just used the telephone as Ibrahim kept insisting for him to do, but the thought of hearing the sound of a man thousands of kilometers away in real-time unnerved hiim.

"MISSION SUCCESS STOP
INDIAN SUPPORT AGAINST CHINA SECURED STOP
INITIATE PHASE TWO STOP"

A few minutes later, the Bureau of Foreign Affairs sent him a response.

"MESSAGE ACKNOWLEDGED RECEIVED STOP
PHASE TWO SHALL BEGIN AT ONCE STOP
KAISER IS PLEASED STOP"

He remembered how angry the Kaiser was at him and the senators when the entire Diet unanimously urged him to hold off on the declaration of war to Lithuania. Now he could probably rest easy, knowing that he was not alone in this struggle. India would stand by the Reich no matter what. The alliance that had been established between Saint Wilhelmina and Jayasimha I "Rama" would continue into the future. In defending Lithuania, China would have to deal with not only the heavily armed and fortified garrisons of Provincia Indochina but also the full might of the Imperial Indian Army on its doorstep, just a train ride away from the Chinese heartlands.

The plan was to send Lithuania one more ultimatum, which demanded exactly the same thing as the original one. Bethmann-Hollweg had threatened an invasion if August refused to accept it, but he also promised that if the Lithuanians accepted the Reich's demands, the Reich would demobilize and ease tensions. All he had to do now was wait for August's response.

He left the palace and headed to the train station, where he boarded the Orient Express back to Berlin. It wouldn't be long now. He knew exactly how August would react.
20160708130552_1.jpg

Vilnius, three days later

"Your Royal and Imperial Highness," said the aide, "The Romans have sent you another--"

"Tell them to shut up," replied August, without even glancing up from The Holy Scripture of Perkunas.

"But, sir, they say that if you reject this ultimatum, they will declare war!" protested the aide.

"They wouldn't dare," said August, "We are backed by the Chinese. They are scared of the Chinese. Would they possibly send a declaration of war knowing full well that they would be utterly defeated by the Chinese Empire?"

"Have pride and hubris gotten to your head, sir?!" shouted the aide.

August looked up. "No, not at all. In fact, I'm acting perfectly rational. I know for a fact that the cowards in the GERMAN government would not dare declare war against China, and therefore I am quite confident that if I reject this ultimatum, they would not follow through on their word."

"But what if they do?!"

"Then they may take our lives, but not our freedom. Simple."

"Sir, with all due respect, that is a terrible plan."

August sighed. "Fine, give me the ultimatum. Let me read it."

The aide handed the papers to August, who took one glance at them, tore them in half and tossed them over his shoulder. Noticing that the aide's face had turned completely white, he stood up.

"Don't worry," said August, "Remember, the Germans are lazy cowards at heart, while we Lithuanians, the true heirs to the Roman Empire, are truly civilized people. They will NOT declare war on us. With such friends as Fox (we just negotiated an alliance, can you believe that?) and China, they would not dare kick off the largest war humanity has ever seen in living memory. So calm down. THAT'S. AN. ORDER."

"Y-yy-yes...ss-s-sir," stammered the aide, who was almost crying now.

"You may go now," said August.

The aide bolted from August's office.

August leaned back in his comfy chair. It wouldn't be long now. He knew exactly how Franz Joseph would respond.
20160708130605_1.jpg

---

Welp, RIP the entire population of Lithuania, I hope you like getting gassed to death. Because it's about to happen, very, very soon. And I imagine China is not far behind. Does anyone other than you have Gas Attack? And does anyone have Gas Defense?
I think China and most of the other Great Powers and secondary powers (basically almost everyone) has Gas Attack. Nobody has Gas Defense, not even the Reich.

Edit: I'll be busy for the rest of the day. The concluding update will probably be out tomorrow.

Last edited:
I don't see Lithuania faring so well, but China will certainly be a problem. I hope the colonies don't get overrun.