• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Trial-Diego's testimony))
"I was greeting the Prime Minister when I heard shouting. I turned to see Faixon, blade drawn at a man's neck, shouting along the lines of" I have you now filthy spy! Run back to your owner, dog!" I asked him to sheathe his weapon and settle it peacefully, but he refused, continued shouting, then stripped the man of his possessions and ran away from the guards. In my opinion, Faixon had had a couple too many drinks.

And on a side-point, apparently Faixon based his accusations off the words of a six year old. In that case, the court should know that I have a eight year old nephew, who is absolutely convinced the tree outside his room transforms into a monster each night and attempts to suck his blood. I suppose we ought to cut it down?"

L'Antorcha
Shining an Unbiased Light on the Establishment
In SHOCKING NEWS, PHOENIX LEADER FAIXON FOUND WITH HIS RAPIER AT A MAN'S THROAT! After GLEEFULLY DRINKING, FAIXON BEGAN SHOUTING! He ACCUSED THE MAN BASED ON THE WORDS OF A SIX-YEAR-OLD! Then, FAIXON RAN AWAY FROM THE GUARDS!

How could a man some say to be a VIOLENT DRUNKARD LEAD THE PHOENIX! Some would say, IT IS THE DUTY OF EVERY HISPANIAN TO MAKE SURE THIS MAN IS BEHIND BARS, NOT IN OFFICE!

((Election: Gran Coalition))

Last edited:
((Trial-Diego's testimony))
"I was greeting the Prime Minister when I heard shouting. I turned to see Faixon, blade drawn at a man's neck, shouting along the lines of" I have you now filthy spy! Run back to your owner, dog!" I asked him to sheathe his weapon and settle it peacefully, but he refused, continued shouting, then stripped the man of his possessions and ran away from the guards. In my opinion, Faixon had had a couple too many drinks.

And on a side-point, apparently Faixon based his accusations off the words of a six year old. In that case, the court should know that I have a eight year old nephew, who is absolutely convinced the tree outside his room transforms into a monster each night and attempts to suck his blood. I suppose we ought to cut it down?"

((This is the greatest IC I have ever read))

((Trial))

"If I may add, That is a Reason the Temperance act was necessary, Faixon would never do that sober if he have a mind."
((You haven't been called to testify. And this isn't the time for campaigning for an act that already failed :p))

((This is the greatest IC I have ever read))
((Back when the liberals first took power, I started L'Antorcha and started shining my unbiased (forgot that today) light on the establishment. ;) Of course, when Diego drifted left, funding somehow dried up:rolleyes:, but now is a great opportunity. :D ))

((Back when the liberals first took power, I started L'Antorcha and started shining my unbiased (forgot that today) light on the establishment. ;) Of course, when Diego drifted left, funding somehow dried up:rolleyes:, but now is a great opportunity. :D ))
((Unbiased indeed :p))

Election: Partido Reformista Monárquica

((L'Antorcha's bullshit is always something nice to read :p))

Faixòn kept his smile as the witnesses testified. Perhaps the Emperor's testimony might have any worth, but he doubted that.
"I can hardly imagine any more biased and thus false testimony then Cardinal Diego's. Clearly there is a great number of witnesses from that banquet who can testify that I clearly stated my intent not to break any law, even if I understandably had little respect for the man in question. 'Stripped him of his possessions'. You might excuse me me if I need to laugh a bit. A couple too many drinks? Might I remind you that I only had one glass of wine because I wanted a clear head for duels? As to Prince Lluís' credibility - might I tell you that his testimony has already been confirmed? If anyone, then you should reduce the amount of wine during mass, Cardinal. See? It doesn't need to be hidden behind a transparent veil.

But one witness isn't going to decide anything, nor am I wishing to convince the Prime W... Minister that he is wrong. It is for you as a court to decide. And as such I will have to point out that the prosecution has, even if he will vehemently deny it, conceded that no robbery took place, while just as vehemently denying that my actions have been justified through spying.

That Señor Borges is an employee of the Ministry of Justice merely hints very clearly at the abuse of a ministerial position. Even moreso considering that before admitting this connection, it has always been denied that there was any. Why should it be denied if there was no importance in that fact? The better strategy would have been to admit it from the beginning. Now it shows that there was something worth hiding. And if we in fact look at the invitations, prominent members of the parties were invited, and as someone who has never heard of Señor Borges before I can safely say he is not one of them. What purpose would his presence at the banquet serve, how did he enter? For the one and only purpose of spying. On political opponents. For no other reason than political gain. And this is what government resources are used for? Scandalous!
Yes, this is the entire purpose of this trial. The man himself obviously didn't believe himself to be a victim of any crime, or he would have called a trial himself. The entire aim is to weaken the side which doesn't simply follow the guidance of the miraculously ducal Señor Alejandría.

If I need to apologize, then only insofar as I didn't inform anyone of the trap I had set, so to His Highness. Which I would hereby do again if I haven't done it before. But as to return to His testimony, I certainly concede the point that if the trap hadn't worked, the same spying would certainly be said of me. But unlike the prosecution, I would understand if someone used convincing methods to prevent any further, let's call it intrusions. These 'convincing methods' of course have to be effective. Being 'on hostile territory', I doubt that nicely asking would have been enough to prevent another man immediately sent after me. For until the revelation that it was the Minister of I... Justice which was responsible, the Prime Minister remained my prime suspect. It was an effective way, and the least harming too. As for mind-reading, I am certain there are a lot of witnesses able to remember - if the moment of this trial hasn't been too conveniently chosen - that I proclaimed to be a law-abiding citizen and hardly showed any suicidal tendencies. As I said before, it doesn't need witchcraft to notice that I could just as well have silently dealt with the problem and that attracting attention is not the best way to act if I truly intend to cause harm.

Now of course there are first steps before drawing a weapon, such as telling someone that he isn't welcome first, but at some point you should be able to act, especially if it is the Ministry of 'Justice' itself that sends its men after you. The right in question is of course protected, not just by the crime the Prime Minister has accurately described. If someone listens to another by chance, then so be it. But spying is not protected by law. And was this trial not so perfectly timed, we could certainly reconstruct that this man has always been following me throughout the banquet, perhaps even before. Can you truly enjoy your life if someone follows and observes you everywhere? Not even with a reason? That kind of harassment is nothing one should be subjected to. Is the solution to live as a hermit? No, the solution is to stop that shadowing. I chose the least obstructive, yet still efficient way.

The question you as a court must ask yourself is if it constitutes a crime to discourage spies. What would my alternatives have been? Continue to live with that shadow - does it feel right? Inform the Ministry of I... Justice? If they are responsible for it in the first place? Tell him to leave? Just to be relayed? No, it was my best course of action. And was anybody harmed? No. Would you prefer it had the man suddenly vanished? Or if I sent spies of my own? Is this how we wish our society to be formed? That nobody is allowed to walk around this great realm without a human shadow? Are we a reactionary economic disaster like France, based on distrust? Or is Hispania based on mutual understanding and trust ever since the days of the creation of the CJC? What are we standing for? It is up to you as the court to continue the path Hispania walks. Everything the prosecution wants to hear is the contrary. Full control of every bit of your public life without any reason, or a bunch of hermits. For hermits don't pose any problem. A society based on trust should be above it, or do we want to return to Joan's times of oppression? This would be a first step. Of course the prosecution will vehemently deny whatever I said, but form your opinion. I ask you if your measure of trust has increased with the revelations of this trial. Mine certainly hasn't. Do you prefer no harm caused - or people killed, shadows everywhere outside your home?

((I don't think my vote matters much, if the vote is still open, but here's my opinion anyway.))

Reach out to the Popular: Yes

~Sincerely, Bernardo de Alicante

That Señor Borges is an employee of the Ministry of Justice merely hints very clearly at the abuse of a ministerial position. Even moreso considering that before admitting this connection, it has always been denied that there was any. Why should it be denied if there was no importance in that fact? The better strategy would have been to admit it from the beginning. Now it shows that there was something worth hiding. And if we in fact look at the invitations, prominent members of the parties were invited, and as someone who has never heard of Señor Borges before I can safely say he is not one of them. What purpose would his presence at the banquet serve, how did he enter? For the one and only purpose of spying. On political opponents. For no other reason than political gain. And this is what government resources are used for? Scandalous!
Yes, this is the entire purpose of this trial. The man himself obviously didn't believe himself to be a victim of any crime, or he would have called a trial himself. The entire aim is to weaken the side which doesn't simply follow the guidance of the miraculously ducal Señor Alejandría.
"As I have said, Señor Borges is a personal friend of Señor d'Garcia, and I invited him because of that. I invited other friends of mine who weren't prominent party members. The fact that Señor Borges isn't a prominent political figure is irrelevant. And it is the responsibility of the state to pursue criminal charges, not the victim of those charges. I assure you that Señor Borges fully supports the charges brought against you.

If I need to apologize, then only insofar as I didn't inform anyone of the trap I had set, so to His Highness. Which I would hereby do again if I haven't done it before. But as to return to His testimony, I certainly concede the point that if the trap hadn't worked, the same spying would certainly be said of me. But unlike the prosecution, I would understand if someone used convincing methods to prevent any further, let's call it intrusions. These 'convincing methods' of course have to be effective. Being 'on hostile territory', I doubt that nicely asking would have been enough to prevent another man immediately sent after me. For until the revelation that it was the Minister of I... Justice which was responsible, the Prime Minister remained my prime suspect. It was an effective way, and the least harming too. As for mind-reading, I am certain there are a lot of witnesses able to remember - if the moment of this trial hasn't been too conveniently chosen - that I proclaimed to be a law-abiding citizen and hardly showed any suicidal tendencies. As I said before, it doesn't need witchcraft to notice that I could just as well have silently dealt with the problem and that attracting attention is not the best way to act if I truly intend to cause harm.

"The entirety of your case is based on the assumption that Señor Borges was spying on you. This is an accusation with no proof. He is an employee of the Ministry of Justice, but this does not prove you were being spied on. Proclaiming yourself to be a law-abiding citizen does not absolve you of your crimes. Regardless whether you chose to resolve your "problem" privately or publically, holding a blade to a man's throat is still within the definitions of threatening a man. Holding a sharp blade to a sensative area of the body seems to be a threat. If someone held a blade to your throat and demanded answers without reason, would you not consider it assault?"

Now of course there are first steps before drawing a weapon, such as telling someone that he isn't welcome first, but at some point you should be able to act, especially if it is the Ministry of 'Justice' itself that sends its men after you. The right in question is of course protected, not just by the crime the Prime Minister has accurately described. If someone listens to another by chance, then so be it. But spying is not protected by law. And was this trial not so perfectly timed, we could certainly reconstruct that this man has always been following me throughout the banquet, perhaps even before. Can you truly enjoy your life if someone follows and observes you everywhere? Not even with a reason? That kind of harassment is nothing one should be subjected to. Is the solution to live as a hermit? No, the solution is to stop that shadowing. I chose the least obstructive, yet still efficient way.

Your supposed "right to privacy" has no basis in law. There is no law against a person listening in on a conversation held in public. If he had followed you to your property and listened to a conversation, he would have broken the law. But you were on my property, holding a conversation in a room with several dozen people in it. If Señor Borges listened to your conversation, he was not violating the law, and as such, you had no cause to "defend yourself." And you still have yet to offer any proof that Señor was spying on you, other than the eyewitness testimony of a six-year-old and the fact that he overheard a conversation you had earlier in the day.

The question you as a court must ask yourself is if it constitutes a crime to discourage spies. What would my alternatives have been? Continue to live with that shadow - does it feel right? Inform the Ministry of I... Justice? If they are responsible for it in the first place? Tell him to leave? Just to be relayed? No, it was my best course of action. And was anybody harmed? No. Would you prefer it had the man suddenly vanished? Or if I sent spies of my own? Is this how we wish our society to be formed? That nobody is allowed to walk around this great realm without a human shadow? Are we a reactionary economic disaster like France, based on distrust? Or is Hispania based on mutual understanding and trust ever since the days of the creation of the CJC? What are we standing for? It is up to you as the court to continue the path Hispania walks. Everything the prosecution wants to hear is the contrary. Full control of every bit of your public life without any reason, or a bunch of hermits. For hermits don't pose any problem. A society based on trust should be above it, or do we want to return to Joan's times of oppression? This would be a first step. Of course the prosecution will vehemently deny whatever I said, but form your opinion. I ask you if your measure of trust has increased with the revelations of this trial. Mine certainly hasn't. Do you prefer no harm caused - or people killed, shadows everywhere outside your home?

I merely want to live in a Hispania where a Member of Parliment can't assault a person he's never met, then claim the person was spying on him as a defense. You could have asked the man to leave, you could have even told the His Highness, who was there at the time. There was no lack of proper legal authority there. You had no right to take the law into your own hands and twist it to suit your purposes. But I think that everything that will be said has been said. Are you ready for the jury to make their verdict, Señor Faixòn ?

((I don't think my vote matters much, if the vote is still open, but here's my opinion anyway.))

Reach out to the Popular: Yes

~Sincerely, Bernardo de Alicante
((The vote's technically still open, so thanks for voting, although since the election vote has begun I can't form a real coalition. I might as well just send the offer anyways.))

((@Mach Twelve))
I know that our two parties haven't been on the best of terms lately, but times have changed. The conservatives are more united and stronger than we feared, and they are on track to another four years in power. If we're going to take them down, we need to work together instead of against each other. So I'd like to propose an alliance. What would you like in return?

Leon

Name: Marcos de Túnez
Date of birth: 22 March 1829
Class: Aristocrat
Religion: Catholic
House: Cortz
Party: Gran Coalicion
Bio: Marcos has been the count of Tunis since his father's death three years ago. Throughout his education, he found tastes in (among others) history, music, science, and especially languages, of which he knows Aragonese, Arabic, Latin, French, Greek, (and two other undisclosed languages). While having taken an interest in politics in his younger years, he found a calling in the navy and subsequently entered the Hispanian Naval Academy after graduating from the University of Salamanca. He passed with flying colors and came out a trained sailor, ready for service in the navy, but had to prematurely terminate said service due to having to take over as the count of his hometown. Nonetheless, he still aspires to set out for the seas again someday.

((Hello again, everyone. :)))

Bio: Marcos has been the count of Tunis since his father's death three years ago. Throughout his education, he found tastes in (among others) history, music, science, and especially languages, of which he knows Aragonese, Arabic, Latin, French, Greek, (and two other undisclosed languages). While having taken an interest in politics in his younger years, he found a calling in the navy and subsequently entered the Hispanian Naval Academy after graduating from the University of Salamanca. He passed with flying colors and came out a trained sailor, ready for service in the navy, but had to prematurely terminate said service due to having to take over as the count of his hometown. Nonetheless, he still aspires to set out for the seas again someday.

((Well, it took 3 months of incessant pestering, but you're finally here. :p Welcome back wzhang.))

((A character from wzhang at last!

tenor.gif
))

((Yay more VP for conservativism !!!))

Published anonymously in a series of newspapers
Why Caballeresca?​
The election is almost upon us. Soon, a new assembly will emerge, and maybe a new Prime Minister. I am here today to ask you to pledge your vote the the Caballeresca. Hispania has continued to develop under the Caballeresca, and will continue to do so. Under the Caballeresca, education spending has increased, allowing your children to get better educated. This has led to a raise in income to the clergy, the cornerstone of Hispania's moral fiber. Several members of the Fraternidad would likely have the popular join the government. The god hating pacifists would destroy Hispania's military, they would have us exclude God from our government. The god haters more than likely read the demon book of Carlos Marcos rather than the Bible to their children. This is not all. The morally bankrupt Fraternidad seeks to impose social reforms on the people that they don't want. Sure, a unemployment subsidies and pensions sound nice, but what would that do? Take from the successful and give to the people unable or unwilling to find new jobs. All it will do is create a class of people who have no incentive to find new jobs if they can leech of the hard earned taxes of the working people of Hispania. And the last thing the people want is an increase in taxes. Not only this, but the Fraternidad would have the Asian and African colonies, lands dependent on the guidance of Hispania, vote on matters that affect the European core of the Empire. These colonies, unlike their American counterparts, require a firm hand in guiding them. The morally bankrupt Fraternidad, maliciously spreads lies about the Caballeresca, accusing our party of supporting interventionism, despite no evidence to support this. They claim that the Caballeresca consists only of nobles, while they are composed of every man. This is not true. The Fraternidad is filled with wealthy capitalists and nobles among it's leadership, the same as Caballeresca. The difference is, while they would ally itself with enemies of God, the Caballeresca allows the church to support it, with one of the most highly respected members of the clergy, Cardinal Diego, among our ranks. Vote for the Caballeresca if you want a party that cares about God, as well as what the people actually want, not just unrealistic, blind idealism preached by the Fraternidad.

((I for one welcome our new conservative overlords.))

Last edited:
"The entirety of your case is based on the assumption that Señor Borges was spying on you. This is an accusation with no proof. He is an employee of the Ministry of Justice, but this does not prove you were being spied on. Proclaiming yourself to be a law-abiding citizen does not absolve you of your crimes. Regardless whether you chose to resolve your "problem" privately or publically, holding a blade to a man's throat is still within the definitions of threatening a man. Holding a sharp blade to a sensative area of the body seems to be a threat. If someone held a blade to your throat and demanded answers without reason, would you not consider it assault?"

Your supposed "right to privacy" has no basis in law. There is no law against a person listening in on a conversation held in public. If he had followed you to your property and listened to a conversation, he would have broken the law. But you were on my property, holding a conversation in a room with several dozen people in it. If Señor Borges listened to your conversation, he was not violating the law, and as such, you had no cause to "defend yourself." And you still have yet to offer any proof that Señor was spying on you, other than the eyewitness testimony of a six-year-old and the fact that he overheard a conversation you had earlier in the day.

I merely want to live in a Hispania where a Member of Parliment can't assault a person he's never met, then claim the person was spying on him as a defense. You could have asked the man to leave, you could have even told the His Highness, who was there at the time. There was no lack of proper legal authority there. You had no right to take the law into your own hands and twist it to suit your purposes. But I think that everything that will be said has been said. Are you ready for the jury to make their verdict, Señor Faixòn ?

"Instead of 'no proof' I'd prefer to say 'conveniently timed trial'. By now, most people will have forgotten who they saw during which part of the banquet. If we would have asked around back in the day, the situation would have been so much clearer would people actually pay attention. I know that there is more than just Prince Lluís' testimony. There is also my own, as I saw him again intently trying to listen to what I was saying. And he already did before, this was the time when I decided I had enough of this harassing spying and took the action which as I have shown was the necessary and least intensive form of stopping it.

Of course, we could also ask the spy and his employer themselves, but I would simply think they would rather commit perjury, which is undoubtedly a crime, than admitting their actions. Still, it would be good to hear what they are saying so that we may have a perjury trial in the future.

But I agree, from the prosecution and defense at least, all has been said. Those testimonies which would undoubtedly prove my point will be hard to come by, and I must repeat myself that it is only due to the timing of the trial, something which can hardly be counted against the defence. I would still request that the witnesses I want to hear come to speak before court, but else, I am ready for the verdict."

((Opposition is the place where the fun is. That and planning coups, you conservatives :p! Without the Phoenix War, nothing interesting would happen by now. It's time for the next one, though you shouldn't expect much from my front, at least in the next years :rolleyes:.))