• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((@hirahammad ))

- "I can only advice caution in our moves. Duke Spoleto may be a good prospect, I already tried with the Prime Minister and his answer was totally negative.

I wish to propose to you one thing before you leave. The creation of an organization dedicated to the protection of our faith and our values, with objective of spreading tolerance and unity within our Empire and beyond it, the Tribunes of Lucrezia. We shall only use our organization for the good of the faith and of all the good men in the world. It shall be lead by a triumvirate, the first one being you, my friend and also a Lucrezian the Minister of Navy Alfonso de Alejandria, and I, What do you think, any apports you can give to our soon to be organization?

"You shouldn't have burned the book," said Carlos Maria, "As bad or heretical as you think it may be, it's worth more intact. Imagine what we could do if we infiltrated this society, learned who's part of it, understood its goals. We could've taken it down or even taken it over. Oh well. It's just one book anyways. Anyways, I wasn't immediately brainwashed when I read my own copy, and neither was the Prime Minister or Takawira when I showed them my copy. I initially assumed some kind of black magic, so I hired a licensed exorcist ((yes, that's really a thing in the Catholic Church, so I would assume it's a thing in the CJC)) to get rid of it, but then I determined it was some kind of hallucinogenic toxin on its pages rendering readers open to suggestion from the contents. I've sent a sample to a friend who will work out an antidote, but in the meantime we should all be vigilant. We shouldn't be quick to accuse people, especially our fellow ministers, of being members of this society. It would cause public panic and disorder within the government. Even though the Lucrezian society doesn't seem to have any ulterior purpose besides getting more converts, we can't be too sure. We must organize ourselves so that we can better understand them. I suggest that we form a group. Let's call it the Illuminati. The old one died soon after the death of my great-grandfather. Let's revive this organization and put it to good use. We can use its connections with other members of the government to see the extent of the Lucrezians' influence. Thoughts?"

((It seems your friend is lying to you since it should be noted that no hallucinogens or toxins are used on the Book of Lucrezia. It's all in the mind, so there shouldn't be any physical evidence to be found. Unless of course you're fabricating the evidence, then by all means, make up some lies. :p

I'm looking forward to this whole debacle coming to light. The Emperor and Crown Prince are going to love it. :D))

((It seems your friend is lying to you since it should be noted that no hallucinogens or toxins are used on the Book of Lucrezia. It's all in the mind, so there shouldn't be any physical evidence to be found. Unless of course you're fabricating the evidence, then by all means, make up some lies. :p

I'm looking forward to this whole debacle coming to light. The Emperor and Crown Prince are going to love it. :D))
((Of course, Carlos Maria is getting ahead of himself. This is what happens when you distract him from conquering India.:p))

((Private for those in Takawira's house))

"I agree with you that we should fight fire with fire and create our own society to fight Lucrezians, so I accept. By the way, why the name Illuminati ?"

((Honestly I am surprised no one is surprised with Francisco acting so differently, in normal circumstances he would never agree on this kind of shadowy order. Also his appearance and voice is so different... you guys really don't care about him ?))

((To those in Takawira's Home))

"Also may I add, The Cardinal is acting strangely recently. He just voted in favour of a bill that supports the Heartens even if he belives that they should burn in hell, I don't say that he is on the society but this sudden change on his atitude deserves consideration."

((Private for those in Takawira's house))

"I agree with you that we should fight fire with fire and create our own society to fight Lucrezians, so I accept. By the way, why the name Illuminati ?"

((Honestly I am surprised no one is surprised with Francisco acting so differently, in normal circumstances he would never agree on this kind of shadowy order. Also his appearance and voice is so different... you guys really don't care about him ?))
((Takawira's house))

"Like I said, there was once an association (I should say club) of like-minded nobles called the Illuminati, but most of its members died off. The club served no real purpose beyond serving as a social gathering and giving us connections to marry off our children."
((To those in Takawira's Home))

"Also may I add, The Cardinal is acting strangely recently. He just voted in favour of a bill that supports the Heartens even if he belives that they should burn in hell, I don't say that he is on the society but this sudden change on his atitude deserves consideration."
((Also Takawira's house))

"I am inclined to think he just had a change of heart. We can't punish him for expressing an opinion, though we'll certainly look into possible connections with the society. I don't think the society's goal is to have its members vote in favor of bills like this one. We originally planned to go ask the Cardinal himself earlier, but he wasn't home. He was probably out voting for that bill. We'll visit him again later."

Before I get to the point of this letter, my apologies if I mispelled your name. No insult was intended if I did so. Now, to the point. You may have heard of the Church of Lucrezia, or maybe not. I have recently become a member, as well as a few others. We have agreed to form a society to promote the interests of religious and cultural tolerance, in accordance with the words of Lucrezia, the Tribunes of Lucrezia. Seeing as you are not Christian, I decided to enquire on whether or not you would be interested in supporting the society. I would like to clarify that this is NOT an attempt to convert you. While our organization is based on Lucrezia values, we do seek to help non-Lucrezians. And I would also like to clarify that this organization is not criminal or illegal. If you choose not to join, I completely understand.
Alfonso de Alejandría
Conde de Alejandría
Minister of the Navy

The Ministry of Interior relases the update on the auction of government factory:

Catalonia - Canned Food - Highest bid - 1WP
Estremadura - Regular Clothes - Highest bid - 9WP
Hispanian Provence - Luxury Clothes - Highest bid - 20WP
Lazio - Winery - Highest bid - 15WP
Romagna - Paper Mill - Highest bid - 5WP
Romagna - Furniture - Highest bid - 10WP
Sicily - Fertilizer - Highest bid - 5WP
Toscana - Liquor Distillery - Highest bid - 8WP
Toscana - Canned Food - Highest bid - 1WP

(( EDIT: Updated bids for Lux. Clothes and Winary ))

Last edited:
((I've decided upon Friday for the update, since I still need to finish up a few things. If @05060403 could wrap up the auction in 24 hours, or even a bit later while I'm writing the update if a tad more time is needed, then that'd be great. Sorry for the delay, but real life likes to get in the way.))

((Sorry for not being active for a while, had a busy week preparing and stuff so haven't had alot of free time. Also, if I'm too late for the vote just disregard this post.))

The Creation of Collectivized Labour Act: Yes

Cabinet Line of Succession Act: Yes
Riot & Fire Mitigation Act: Yes
Protection of the Capital from Explosives Act: Yes
Public Relief Act: Yes
The Status of Religion Act (75% required): Yes
Secularization Act (60% required): Abstain
Revoke Section III, Clause C of the Clarification of Elected Positions Act (75% required): Abstain
Unique Circumstances Act (60% required): Abstain
Amendment to the Franchise Expansion Act of 1851 (60% required): Abstain

Chamberlain: Count Alfonso de Alejandría ((TylerCraigofPrussia))
Speaker: Manuel Alejandro D'Garcia ((ManuelD'Garkia))

Alexander de Alvaro, Grand Duke of Sardinia, Corsica and Albenga [Fraternidad]

The Ministry of Interior relases the update on the auction of government factory:

Estremadura - Regular Clothes - Highest bid - 9WP
Hispanian Provence - Luxury Clothes - Highest bid - 23WP
Lazio - Winery - Highest bid - 18WP
Romagna - Paper Mill - Highest bid - 11WP
Romagna - Furniture - Highest bid - 21WP
Sicily - Fertilizer - Highest bid - 11WP
Toscana - Liquor Distillery - Highest bid - 11WP

(( You heard Michael, the auction is slowly coming to an end, so these are some of the last chances to participate in the auction. ))

(( EDIT: Updated the bids.

EDIT2: Bids updated again.

EDIT3: Third update on bids. ))

Last edited:
((private with 05))

Faixòn was happy to be able to discuss something else than politics with his guest. St-Pierre had arrived at his villa in Barcelona not too long ago, and they were now enjoying the fine meal his cook had prepared. An excellent dinner, accompanied with pleasant conversation. While avoiding political themes. Children, wives, a short comparison of the men's 'battle scars' - Faixòn's leg wound from the assassination attempt, St-Pierre's eyepatch from the attack on the Ministry of the Navy - , anecdotes from their business. Before finally coming to the meat of the meeting, not just on their plates.

St-Pierre proposed closer cooperation. The partnership worked very well, and it was time to intensify it - more than just a shared factory. Over time, perhaps growing strong enough for both companies to merge.

Faixòn listened attentively, took another sip of wine, then presented his idea: "You know, I have been thinking in a similar way. This can't be a coincidence. Though I had a different way in mind than just slowly increasing our connections. Based on the differences of our companies. Products, size. Anyway, I will detail my idea.
I shall buy your company for a symbolic price. But wait, don't take that as me willing to control and abuse you and our business friendship. No, this bigger company can then be restructured, mainly in two categories - the production of base goods (like your fabric factories) and goods based upon them (like my luxury factories). Within the company, you would be responsible for the first category, me for the second (including steel, for tradition).
The TATC might also play a role in that plan. But before going any further, would you be interested?"

St-Pierre was intrigued, but would not commit to saying yes or no right now. Understandable. If he had accepted right now, Faixòn would have questioned his choice of business partner. They finished their dinner, discussed a little more, before St-Pierre then left. He would think about the offer. A good day, all in all.

((Fortunately I got through most of my work, so I have time to get that update out. But first, the vote must be closed.

The Creation of Collectivized Labour Act:
Assembly: 349 Yes/116 No/35 Abstain
Cortz: 84 Yes/16 No/0 Abstain​

Cabinet Line of Succession Act:
Assembly: 500 Yes/0 No/0 Abstain
Cortz: 100 Yes/0 No/0 Abstain​
Riot & Fire Mitigation Act:
Assembly: 500 Yes/0 No/0 Abstain
Protection of the Capital from Explosives Act:
Assembly: 437 Yes/0 No/63 Abstain
Public Relief Act:
Assembly: 496 Yes/0 No/4 Abstain
The Status of Religion Act (75% required):
Assembly: 400 Yes/47 No/53 Abstain
Cortz: 77 Yes/3 No/20 Abstain​
Secularization Act (60% required):
Assembly: 251 Yes/141 No/108 Abstain
Cortz: 0 Yes/16 No/84 Abstain
Revoke Section III, Clause C of the Clarification of Elected Positions Act (75% required):
Assembly: 179 Yes/145 No/176 Abstain
Cortz: 0 Yes/26 No/74 Abstain
Unique Circumstances Act (60% required):
Assembly: 281 Yes/156 No/63 Abstain
Cortz: 61 Yes/0 No/39 Abstain​
Amendment to the Franchise Expansion Act of 1851 (60% required):
Assembly: 437 Yes/0 No/63 Abstain
Cortz: 47 Yes/0 No/53 Abstain

Chamberlain: 20 Duke Félix Villanova ((DragonOfAtlantis))/77 Count Alfonso de Alejandría ((TylerCraigofPrussia))/3 Abstain
Speaker: 84 Lluis Faixòn ((alscon))/416 Manuel Alejandro D'Garcia ((ManuelD'Garkia))/0 Abstain

I shall now move on to the update. I ask that people refrain from doing anything that requires rolls and that the auction wind itself up within the next 24 hours.))

((Sorry for a quick post but @zenphoenix , Takawira would respond that he needs time to think on it so that he'd correspond further by letter. Sorry about this but buried under coursework and arranged stuff with friends irl so I might not be able to provide a proper response for the next two or three days)).

Estremadura - Regular Clothes - Highest bid - 10WP
Hispanian Provence - Luxury Clothes - Highest bid - 24WP
Romagna - Paper Mill - Highest bid - 13WP
Romagna - Furniture - Highest bid - 23WP
Sicily - Fertilizer - Highest bid - 13WP
Toscana - Liquor Distillery - Highest bid - 12WP

The Ministry would also wish to inform that the auction is coming to an end, so this is the last chance to place your bids on the factories.

(( Going to close the auction up in an two hours, so if you wish to place any bids, now if your last chance. ))

(( EDIT: Updated the list of bids. ))

Last edited:
(( Woops. I missed the deadline but I'll take in account the state of things from it ( 17:32 CEST ) which means... ))

The Ministry of Interior wishes to present the results of the auction:

The winner for auctions for:
Romagna - Paper Mill - Highest bid - 13WP
Romagna - Furniture - Highest bid - 23WP
Sicily - Fertilizer - Highest bid - 13WP

Is Mister Takawira Mwenemutapa (( @Sancronis ))

The winner for auctions for:

Hispanian Provence - Luxury Clothes - Highest bid - 24WP
Estremadura - Regular Clothes - Highest bid - 10WP
Toscana - Liquor Distillery - Highest bid - 12WP

Is Mister Lluis Faixòn (( @alscon ))

The winner for auction(s) for:

Is Mister Lorenzo Giordano (( @LostPatriot ))

Failur to transfter the funds will mean that the person second in line will be chose.
If that person fails to deliver their declared ammount, the factory shall remain in the Goverment hands.
Congratulations to the winners of the auction, and may your industry ventured be profitable.

(( I'd also like to apologize for the double-post, but I think this is important enough to post separately.

1852-1853 – Outbreak

The Valencia Fire was a great tragedy for the capital of Hispania, leading to a level of death and destruction not seen there since the Hispanian Civil War. Nearly a quarter of the city had been burned down or damaged, and thousands were now homeless. The government made use of its resources to aid those suffering the most, and the Church took up a great burden to provide food and shelter to those in need. The army was put to use clearing parts of the city and setting up refugee camps. The rebuilding would take time, but Valencia would shine once again in time.

Parliament passed a few acts to ensure Valencia was restored properly and received the help it needed going ahead. Fire brigades were established across Hispania to ensure such an event never occurred on such a scale ever again. Building codes were devised to ensure fires did not spread so easily in major cities. Funds and aid were given to those hurt most until they could get back on their feet.

Not all reforms were linked to the fire. Unions were established for key industries to provide a voice for the workers and ensure their employers did not abuse them, a growing issue as industrialization took off.

Construction efforts were also encouraged by the Ministry of the Interior, although it found little to do outside Valencia. Hispania’s infrastructure in Europe was in excellent condition and quite extensive, while its naval bases were spread across the world. The latter aided with the formations of faraway colonies. The latest focus of the Ministry of Colonial Affairs was Siberia. However, with a desire to avoid confrontation with Qing, that left very little land to colonize. A small area around Chavchuveny was chosen, while a large piece of coastline was left vacant to avoid causing conflict with Qing, despite Hispania already owning land Qing called its own.

Matters of foreign affairs progressed fairly slowly. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs wished to woo Bengal and Delhi into opening their borders to Hispanian trade and accepting greater relations. However, unlike previous attempts with much smaller nations, both Bengal and Delhi were too distant and too populated to willingly fall under the influence of Hispania. Those efforts had to be abandoned. With Mali having banned Hispania’s embassy earlier, focus was shifted to winning over the smaller and more easily influenced Sibir, Kaffa, and Afghanistan.

While spreading Hispania’s influence across the globe was important, so was ensuring positive relations with Hispania’s strongest neighbour. Relations had soured with France after Emperor Charles IX of France ended the four-century alliance. Despite that, there had been no open hostilities, just coy little games between the two great powers. Hispania had already swayed the governments of Scotland and Ireland to open favourable trade relations with Hispania to the detriment of France. Yet in turn, France discredited Hispania in Sibir and Kaffa, and convinced Mali to ban Hispania’s ambassador from their capital. It was a constant competition between the two nations, although a friendly one. Emperor Charles, who a decade ago had often insulted his Hispanian counterpart, was often overheard complimenting the Hispanian government’s ability to outmanoeuvre him. Hispania and France were no longer allies, but they at least weren’t enemies.

France could not be blamed solely for blocking Hispania’s foreign relations. Ming, having taken an interest in Kaffa for some reason, convinced the African state to keep its distance from Hispania. Just as strange, the UKA did a similar action against Hispania in Afghanistan. All the Great Powers were constantly undermining each other’s influence in the rest of the world.

The new Minister of Education, Takawira Mwenemutapa, caused quite a stir. While a capitalist, and a wealthy one at that, he was an open heathen. Never before had a non-Christian served on the Cabinet. Yet few dared to question his appointment based on faith, for the man had been named a hero for saving the Valencia Cathedral. Despite the doubts against him, his term started out similarly to his predecessor. Innovations in ore grinding, roasting, and smelting processes saw a great improvement in the production of iron. Better methods of planning were developed for factories, as well procedures for ensuring products met a designated level of quality. Despite the growing production of iron, and thus the growing need for coal, miners were rarely forced into too dangerous of situations. The Isabella incident had not been forgotten so quickly.

Less industrial pursuits saw a new fermentation process improve the quality of wine. Breakthroughs in inorganic chemistry surely aided all these efforts. Yet the Valencia Fire, as well as the ongoing war with Malwa, inspired the next step in research, with time invested in devising better fire control systems for ships.

The navy also received some attention. The new Minister of the Navy, Alfonso de Alejandría, went to task by filling the ranks of the admiralty, something that had been neglected for decades. The navy rarely had high-ranking officers of note, but that was about to change. Including his own son, Alfonso promoted three officers to the rank of vice-admiral. Another step was also taken to modernize the navy by phasing out frigates with the steam-driven commerce raiders. All frigates under construction were cancelled and focus given to producing commerce raiders instead. The various fleets were downsized in preparation for the introduction of new improved ships.

The improvements for the navy were well-timed, for Hispania was still engaged in its war against Malwa. The initial difficulties were finally being overcome and progress was being made. The army was pushing forward, focusing on cutting off Malwa’s coastline and seizing their capital of Bhopal. On the push east, several thousand Malwan soldiers were forced towards Bengal as the Hispanian armies moved in. The capture of Vizagapatnam was key in turning things around, putting the water at the Hispanian army’s back, safely protected by the superior Hispanian navy. Yet Malwa maintained a large force in Bengal. Hispania had to edge its forces carefully northeast to ensure no army was overwhelmed, especially while fighting in hostile territory. Hispania often came out on top during any conflict, but this seemed due more to superior numbers than anything.

The decisive front would prove to be the northwest. The Battle of Indore brought Hispania’s armies within a single province of the Malwan capital. Yet Malwa was not so willing to give up. It was fortunate though that poor communication led to a Malwan army marching against the wrong army. Malwa lost an entire army because of that blunder. Meanwhile, the Hispanian army managed to secure more and more of the western coastline. Malwa tried to break through to liberate it, but ended up facing significant losses. It was this successful capture of the coastline that also saw the first and only naval encounter of the war, one that’s outcome was to be uncertain as events elsewhere overshadowed it.

In early March of 1852, the Hispanian army moved into the Malwan capital of Bhopal. Malwa had been making gains against Bengal and had optimistically hoped that Hispania would back down, but the fall of their capital demoralized them. However, Malwa had a way out. Qing was technically the war leader, for they had taken charge due to leading the other war with Bengal against Delhi. Seeing as the two enemies had not engaged in any hostilities and had little to gain from one another, negotiations were much easier between them than if it had been with Hispania. Malwa managed to weasel a white peace out of Qing. The announcement of the peace was met with shock and outrage in Hispania. Not only had the world’s foremost Great Power been forced to accept a peace dictated by a weak Asian nation, but it had received absolutely nothing in return. ((Totally didn't see this coming. :rolleyes:))

This situation was made all the more humiliating when during the war, it was made public through a leak that Hispania had sought the cession of Gujarit from Malwa. Malwa had tried to gain sympathy during the war by making up some wild story after that news was made public that Hispania had sent soldiers over the border to cause an incident, despite the ridiculousness of that statement seeing as Hispania was actively invading Malwa. Regardless of whether Hispania sought Malwan land or not, it was now bound by an international truce that prevented it from attacking Malwa a second time for several years. By then, Hispania’s claim to that land would likely be disregarded.

With the Malwan War over, the Hispanian army had to make the slow transition into peacetime. Half the armies stationed in India were returned to Europe or Africa, accompanied by the various fleets. The outcome had not been satisfactory for most, and the soldiers left feeling like their job was not finished.

While some groaned about the unfavourable outcome, there was also a rise of jingoist sentiment in parts of Hispania. Deprived of a proper victory, there were calls for an expansionist war, one that would benefit Hispania. The greatest cry came from Egypt. Once considered a colony of the Empire, it was increasingly trying to join its European brethren in the exclusive imperialist club. With one of the largest populations in Hispania, Egypt certainly had the clout in Parliament to make itself heard. In regard to the recent war, it saw a massive rise in enlistment in the army, with almost 10% of the population of Lower Egypt either in active service or in reserves. One theorist credited this to the increased amount of trade pouring in through Egypt after the creation of the Suez Canal. As Hispania increased its presence in Asia, more trade made its way to Europe, and thus through Egypt. Conquest abroad now favoured Egypt, and many were starting to see this, especially as industrialization took off in the region and it became possible for Egypt to become a manufacturing centre. ((I just happened to notice how high Egypt’s soldier population is and thought I’d share.))

Even though Hispania had returned to peacetime, albeit reluctantly, war still raged in Asia. Ming had finally decided to strike at Delhi again, providing Malwa with another distraction part way through its war with Bengal and Hispania. This war proved a short affair, taking only a few months, although Ming did call up its reserves at one point, a decision that made many wonder what the logic behind it was. Was Ming’s army more fragile than first thought? Ming’s victory against Delhi must not have been absolute though, for they managed to overcome Qing with Poland-Lithuania’s help, seizing part of their land. Perhaps this was why Qing was so willing to accept a white peace with Malwa. That didn’t quite take the sting out of the whole affair though, especially when Bengal casually granted Malwa military access to their land during both their wars with Delhi, as though they hadn’t just fought a war against each other a few months earlier.

While the nations of Asia were at each other’s throats, Scandinavia was on the brink of collapse. The rivalry between King Håkon II de Valois-Södermanland and his brother, Prince Gustav, erupted again in yet another spectacular fashion. Håkon was, plain and simple, an idiot, and everyone knew it. France was fully taking advantage of it, keeping Scandinavia as a virtual puppet and using them to fulfill their goals. They had already attempted to manipulate Gustav by coercing him into a sham marriage with Emperor Charles’s infant daughter, but he wasn’t having any of it. Gustav thus rose up against his brother for the second time. He overthrew his brother and broke the alliance with France, annulling his marriage with the French Emperor’s daughter, and instead seeking greater relations with Bavaria, a power that he had secretly been negotiating with to fund his coup. While he managed to seize the throne, his brother escaped and sought allies. A group of reactionaries banded behind Håkon, partly because he was the rightful king, partly because he had the backing of the more powerful France, but most importantly because he was easier to manipulate than his brother. They rose up in revolt against the imposter to put Håkon back on the throne.

Yet the internal chaos spurred on other movements. While the Scandinavians feuded over who would sit on the throne, their subjects in Pomerania sought their freedom. Pomeranian separatists demanded their independence, and the Scandinavian army was too preoccupied fending off the rebel forces in the mainland to do anything about this new threat. Scandinavia’s authority in Germany was all but gone. Despite that, a few provinces opted to remain with Scandinavia as their brethren broke free by force.

This new state in Europe added a new dynamic, and the potential for conflict. Scandinavia undoubtedly wanted to reconquer the rebel state, but was in no condition to do anything about it. Germany was surely eyeing up the land it saw as its by right. Pomerania was frantic to ensure its independence. France was sought first as the best counterbalance to its hostile neighbours, but France still hoped to reconcile with Scandinavia, and thus wooing the rebel state was not an option. The other logical option was Hispania, one of the most powerful nations in Europe who not only had no designs on Pomerania’s lands, but was not friends with any of the potentially hostile neighbouring powers. At the very start of 1853, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs received an alliance offer from the newborn power, hoping that Hispania could be the guarantor of their freedom.

Hispania, though, had problems of its own to deal with. The situation in Valencia, despite the efforts to rebuild parts of the city, was still dire. Sufficient housing simply could not be built fast enough for those who had lost their homes during the fire. The distribution of food was often difficult, and many were left starving for an extended period of time. The water supply was often inadequate, improperly maintained, and with the increasing industrial efforts in the area, contaminated. Sanitation was proving appalling as people were forced into cramped refugee camps. The return of the troops from India only exacerbated the situation. The situation was ripe for an outbreak.

In late August of 1852, a group of people at a refugee camp in Valencia fell ill, overcome with continuous bouts of diarrhea and vomiting. The symptoms persisted, and attempts to alleviate their illness failed, eventually leading to their deaths by dehydration. Later diagnoses designated the contagion as cholera. In the squalor of the refugee camps and ruined parts of Valencia, the disease spread. No one knew how the disease spread or was contracted, only making the situation worse. Minor cases spread to nearby cities as those infected ended up contaminating food and water sources. Valencia though was hit hardest. By the end of the year, several thousand had succumbed to the disease, and it was still ravaging the population. No one was safe. Some Parliamentarians, fearing the outbreak of disease, refused to even attend any parliamentary sessions. The scare of an epidemic was enough to keep them away.

The Royal Family was not spared from health concerns, although it was not cholera that struck them. The Emperor, during the whole affair, fell ill, and many feared he had succumbed to the dreadful disease. It was revealed later that it had just been his gout flaring up, something that had been plaguing him for years. The Emperor, stating reasons of health, decided to hold court in of one of his estates, a noticeable distance from Valencia and its troubles.

As for the Crown Prince, he remained in Valencia with his family. Princess Consort gave birth to yet another son at the start of 1853 named Ponç, a good sign of Khadija’s exceptional health. Alfons, however, was showing increasing signs of possible brain damage caused by his head trauma during the Valencia Fire. From time to time, the Crown Prince was found wandering around the Palace, confused and unsure of where he was going or what he was doing. He hadn’t lost awareness of himself or his surroundings, but seemed unable to focus his thoughts at times. These occurrences were rare though, and when he was lucid, he was more than capable of brilliance. With his father out of the capital, Alfons called upon Parliament to act. Something needed to be done about the outbreak of cholera. He wished for the members of Parliament to see the devastation firsthand and make a decision, for it could not wait any longer. It was time to act.

State
  • Valencia - Explosives
  • Valencia - Ammunition
  • Valencia - Small Arms

05060403 - 7.5 Base Factories
  • Campania - Glass
  • Campania - Winery
  • Catalonia - Liquor - Joint Factory with alscon
  • Emilia - Machine Parts
  • Lower Egypt - Fabric
  • Puglia - Fabric
  • Puglia – Regular Clothes
  • Puglia - Canned Food - Under Construction
  • Sicily - Small Arms
  • Venetia - Canned Food - Under Construction
  • Railroads
    • Eureka (Nuevos Valencia) - 1
    • Monterey (Nuevos Valencia) - 1
    • San Diego (Nuevos Valencia) - 1
    • San Francisco (Nuevos Valencia) - 1

alscon - 13.5 Base Factories
  • Alentejo - Steel
  • Andalucia - Liquor Distillery
  • Castilla la Nueva - Steel
  • Catalonia - Liquor Distillery - Joint factory with 05060403
  • Catalonia - Luxury Clothes
  • Constantine - Steel - Under Construction
  • Douro - Luxury Furniture
  • Estremadura - Regular Clothes
  • Estremadura - Luxury Clothes
  • Estremadura - Winery
  • Galicia - Luxury Clothes
  • Granada - Steel
  • Hispanian Provence - Luxury Clothes
  • Lower Egypt - Luxury Clothes - Under Construction
  • Sicily - Winery
  • Toscana - Liquor Distillery

BelisariustheGreat - 6 Factories
  • Castilla la Nueva - Ammunition
  • Extremadura - Regular Clothes
  • Extremadura - Luxury Clothes
  • Galicia - Steel
  • Galicia - Artillery
  • Galicia - Small Arms - Closed

Bioiron - 5 Base Factories
  • Campania - Cement
  • Castilla la Nueva - Cement
  • Granada - Glass
  • Sicily - Cement
  • Venetia - Cement
  • Railroads
    • Caceres - 1
    • Jaen - 1
    • Lisbon - 1
    • Oviedo - 1
    • Sevilla - 1
    • Alegrete (Sanchonia) - 1
    • Castro (Sanchonia) - 1
    • Curitiba (Sanchonia) - 1
    • Desterro (Sanchonia) - 1
    • Guarapuava (Sanchonia) - 1
    • Passo Fundo (Sanchonia) - 1
    • Santa Maria (Sanchonia) - 1
    • Sao Miguel (Sanchonia) - 1

LostPatriot - 6 Base Factories
  • Hispanian Piemonte - Cement
  • Hispanian Piemonte – Lumber Mill
  • Hispanian Piemonte - Furniture
  • Hispanian Piemonte - Luxury Furniture
  • Hispanian Piemonte - Steel
  • Lazio - Winery

manofcharacter - 2 Base Factories
  • Tripoli - Steel
  • Tripoli - Artillery

Sancronis - 19 Base Factories
  • Campania - Regular Clothes
  • Catalonia - Canned Food - Closed
  • Emilia - Clipper Shipyard
  • Emilia - Steel
  • Emilia - Small Arms
  • Emilia - Lumber Mill
  • Emilia - Furniture
  • Estremadura - Liquor Distillery
  • Granada – Steamer Shipyard
  • Hispanian Lombardia - Luxury Clothes
  • Leon-Castilla - Machine Parts
  • Romagna - Paper Mill
  • Romagna - Furniture
  • Sicily - Fertilizer
  • Sicily - Ammunition
  • Sicily - Explosives
  • Sinai - Fabric
  • Toscana - Canned Food - Closed
  • Venetia - Luxury Clothes

Sithlent - 1 Base Factory
  • Leon-Castilla - Cement Factory

((I decided to end a bit early after only one year, since I wanted the Foreign Minister to give his opinion on the Pomeranian alliance offer, and because I didn’t really have it in me to go the full two years. Some interesting stuff happened at least, such as the collapse of Scandinavia and us being screwed over by Qing. Lots to talk about. :p

I’ve also taken the opportunity to create a little mini-event. I was joking in the IRC chat about a cholera outbreak a week or two ago during the fires, so I decided to make it a reality. I felt the devastation of the fires was likely to lead to some sort of disease spreading, so why not cholera seeing as it fits the era. The fun thing about this event is that if you enter Valencia, you put yourself at the mercy of the disease. Of course, this isn’t some airborne disease that will strike anyone down that wanders near an infected person, but the cause has not quite been discovered yet (1854 according to Wikipedia), so it is still easy to become infected without knowing it. I’m usually loath to kill off people’s characters, but I think it’s time to try something different. How this works is quite simple: if you spend any time in Valencia, there is a chance you can become infected and die. Basically, what I will be doing is performing a roll for people doing anything in Valencia to see if they become infected. If you do, you will then have to fight the disease. Becoming infected does not guarantee death, but things won’t look good either. The chance of infection will be slim, unless you have your character literally go down to the refugee camps and hospitals and break bread with the infected. What makes this interesting is that to vote, you must go to Valencia. That means if you want to propose laws or vote on laws, you will be putting yourself at risk to do so. You can choose to stay away from Valencia this turn, but then you give up on participating in politics this round. Pray to RNGesus that he spares you all. :D

On an unrelated note, the new Action Points mechanic will be implemented this turn. I will be giving everyone 2AP to start, to represent the one year that just passed. You can spend them on whatever you wish as mentioned in the new rules, or save them for later since the amount is small to start. You could even spend them to fend off cholera if it comes down to it. ;) I’ll start updating the rules post shortly. Any comments on the new system are appreciated.

As for our usual stuff, ministers have until Wednesday at 12PM PST to post their plans. Players may also propose laws in that time period too. Also, since minister plans do not necessarily require the minister to be in Valencia to form, you won’t risk contracting cholera by making them up, so no excuse for neglecting your duty. :p))

Last edited:
The Ministry of the Navy will continue with the existing plan. No additional ships will be constructed. The Ministry orders that one of the commerce raiders to be given to the fleet in Valencia be named Lucrezia.

With the Fleet back in Valencia, Alfonso was in a position to help the people of Valencia. Along with a friend from the city, Juan Nieve, Alfonso set about trying to learn what the source of the outbreak was. Together, they set about trying to determine what areas where most affected, marking on a map the places with the heaviest concentration of infections.