• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Strictly speaking, the University doesn't benefit you in the short term, since you have to build one in a City holding, and tribals don't (usually) have access to cities without either reforming or conquering them from the "civilized" powers. However, each level of the different Infrastructure tech lines does unlock new improvements (Castle Infrastructure for Hillforts, Town Infrastructure for Markets IIRC), and it's never a bad idea to spend "spare" points on a cheap tech level if you can afford it in general.

I forgot about this! You need more castle infrastructure for your tribal holdings (or city, if you want to go merchant republic). So focus on that!

Some grand raiding there. Poor old King Riwallon though-you gotta give him top marks for balls.

Didn’t know about the mil tech thing. Very handy

The Seventeenth Thing of Rurik’s Reign – December 883 (a summary of advice from Chapter 43)
The Seventeenth Thing of Rurik’s Reign – December 883 (a summary of advice from Chapter 43)

A ‘Small Þing’ this time, held back in Nygarðr while Hrolfr enjoys his return to Normandy and Brittany - with sackcloth and axes!

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

General Comments
With the Breton army defeated and king slain their entire holding is open to wholesale looting, including the odd siege as well.
Should be simple – and yes, maybe some sieges in their capital if it won’t take too long.

“Earlier that day, Rurik’s curiosity about trading posts and the renowned Silk Road had led him to take advice from both the Þing and Gumarich der Schreiber’s wide knowledge of the world.”
This map from the wiki was why I thought there might be a trade route province around the Baltic to build a trade post on, but it seems that's not the case.
I think that might be a possible trade zone for something like the Hanseatic League (like the ones for Genoa and Venice)? :confused: But I’m only guessing, as a rank newbie.

“Hrolfr, you have given great service since coming to us from Normandy, giving up the Marshal’s role there to join me. My son is the Marshal here, but I wish to acknowledge your stature and contribution formally. So, Chief Hrolfr of Vladimir, welcome to your investiture feast! You will lead the coming raid as Garðarikian nobility. Let us all eat and drink to that!”
he really deserved this, and I got the goosebumps. By the way, I don't know exactly why but I got the vibe from back then when Rurik was a young ruler and he came across Odin disguised as this old man. I think it's immersing to see him in a natural surrounding acting and reacting naturally.

In addition, if I remember correctly you found Hroflr using the character finder tool which I advised you to use, so I'm a little bit proud as it's sorta my boy who did well and rose in rank :)
Nice – and yes, absolutely, you can consider him a protégé! :D And I do like to sometimes add a bit of flavour to either game events or things like making a trusty officer into a Chief (the first Rurik has ‘raised from the ranks’ since his reign began way back when).

“I hope this isn't a blunder of some kind when it comes to the gavelkind realm succession :confused:, but it's hardly the jewel in Rurik's crown.”
I think as long as the jarldoms are in the family and the main chiefdoms are as well, you cannot do wrong. And I think with Hrolfr you cannot go wrong he's like a son :D
Fingers crossed.

“King Riwallon, sir. Put up a good fight – wouldn’t be taken alive”
I drank one gulp for his brave soul
And Hrolfr and the rest of the raiders drank many that night! It was a battle death they could admire. Won’t stop them raiding his lands until they are bled dry, though. :(

“By Thor’s Great Manly Spear, yes!”
You didn't think I missed this one, do you :D
I had hoped you wouldn’t! These are Viking warriors after all – they must be robust and a bit vulgar on such occasions. ;)
Some grand raiding there. Poor old King Riwallon though-you gotta give him top marks for balls.
Indeed. Even if poor old Rurik now scores 0/100 in that department, thanks to his ‘trouble’ in Pisa. :eek:

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Ch43 Q1: Military Tech Gained in Battle. Mainly a comment and just passing question. I’d seen this little symbol on many a battle report screen but had never looked at it closely to see what it was. That’s nice, a little mil tech bonus. And it makes sense, too. Does it scale according to the numbers, duration or tech level of the opponent, I wonder out loud?
According to the wiki, it scales by size and duration of the battle.
Thanks – makes sense.
Huh! To be perfectly honest, I've never actually noticed this was a thing. Learn something new every day :)
Didn’t know about the mil tech thing. Very handy
Glad the learning saga can throw up the odd bit of new info even for veteran CK2 warrior-kings! :cool:

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Ch43 Q2: University. I haven’t looked at it in-game yet, but is the University a good improvement? Or a bit too soon for a backwoods tribal kingdom on the steppe?
Definitely too soon. Universities will go in city holdings, and you need to reform first. Note that under temple holdings you can also get monastic schools. And hospitals can give some crazy tech points too, but I'm pretty sure you have to reform from tribal to build them.
Noted. Yet another driver for the Rurikids to seek reform of the faith.
as a horselord I didn't build any, but it speeds up tech spread considerably. Also gives some tech points I guess? Equivalent to a tech every 10 years or so per building level? But i'm not really sure. If I were you though, I would go for more military buildings.
Certainly will stick to the bread and butter improvements for now. But, one day, a University of Nygarðr would be nice. ‘Rurik the Just College’ would be the first built!
Strictly speaking, the University doesn't benefit you in the short term, since you have to build one in a City holding, and tribals don't (usually) have access to cities without either reforming or conquering them from the "civilized" powers. However, each level of the different Infrastructure tech lines does unlock new improvements (Castle Infrastructure for Hillforts, Town Infrastructure for Markets IIRC), and it's never a bad idea to spend "spare" points on a cheap tech level if you can afford it in general.
Noted.
I forgot about this! You need more castle infrastructure for your tribal holdings (or city, if you want to go merchant republic). So focus on that!
And noted.​

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Ch43 Q3: Legalism Options. Same with Medium Centralisation and Religious Control Mandate. I will look at them in detail in the next session, but any general thoughts or pointers (also, if they involve legal changes, I’m not sure I’d be able to enforce them yet)?
Legalism is my preferred choice at a given tech level, but the prestige bonuses from other options might be good for tribal rulers.
I’ll gradually get ‘em all at some point, but Legalism did seem the best one to load up on first.
Centralization (as has been discussed before) is mainly a matter of trade-offs -- do you want a larger demesne, or do you want to make it easier to control a large number of vassals directly?

As for Religious Control Mandate: Well, remember how Rurik (i.e. you) keeps wishing that he could find a good reason for revoking land from fractious Slavs and giving it to loyal Norsemen instead? I believe that this might solve a few problems in that department ;)
Hmmm, good thinking there! I’ll explore a bit in game (not sure if I’ll be eligible to make another law change yet – there’s probably some arcane factor preventing it for now.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Once again, my heartfelt thanks to all readers in general and commenters in particular. After a bit of a break while other AARs have been updated in their turn, back now to Brittany, where Blood, Battle and Plunder are definitely on the menu.

Chapter 44: Home and Away (31 December 883 – 31 December 884)
Chapter 44: Home and Away (31 December 883 – 31 December 884)

Previously, on Blut und Schlacht The raid in Brittany (Breizh) continues; with the Breton King killed on the battlefield and their army shattered and scattered, what could possibly go wrong!? Back at home in Garðaríki, Rurik involves himself in the day to day governance of his fractious kingdom and his now quite large family; he is seeing more of his children than ever before, as both he and they grow older. Will his ‘insanity’ continue to be held at bay? And what of his difficult chiefs (new and old) and rowdy peoples in the heathen Slavic and Finnish counties? Rurik will always have something to occupy him, whether on the battlefield of combat or of domestic politics.

Note: the intended chapter ended up being longer than I thought should be included in one update, so I have split it in two. The second instalment will pose some meatier questions, mainly arising from an ‘interesting’ development that will be revealed in that following chapter. It should go up reasonably soon (in the next day or so).

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

31 December 883

As another year ends, stock is taken and the advice of the latest Þing absorbed. While Rurik dreams of a great University of Nygarðr being built one day, he accepts it will not be in his lifetime - or perhaps even Helgi’s either. But he ensures it is a dream that will live on for future generations of the Rurikid dynasty, instructing Gumarich der Schreiber to compose a Royal Writ of Intent for the establishment of a seat of learning in the capital for a future time. He also seeks advice from Chancellor and Lawspeaker Hrörekr on any legal initiatives that might be taken following their recent advances in the area of legalism.

“My Liege,” begins the venerable Chancellor, who has now occupied that post for seventeen years under Rurik’s reign, from petty king of Holmgarðr to King of Garðaríki. “The recent research pertains to the matter of title revocation under our realm laws. You may recall our last change in this area was to introduce title revocation for traitorous or otherwise outlawed title holders with the realm.”

“Yes, Hrörekr, it was much sought: we have not yet had the opportunity to use it, though that has become more likely after we gathered all these fractious new chiefs into the realm.”

“Indeed, My Liege. But as that was enforced in June 879, we cannot change laws again until June 889. It is the iron law of legal time delay under tribal governance, I’m afraid. But I wouldn’t necessarily advocate changing it yet to the newly available ‘Religious Control Mandate’ code in any case.”

PKCU1t.jpg

“And why not – we could use it to extend the true Germanic faith among those heathen Slav and Finn chiefs and, through that, hope to enforce the spread of Germanic religion and Norse culture in the realm.”

“True, My Liege, but that could lead to significant internal strife – targeted chiefs are unlikely to take such revocations without resistance - and increased agitation among the people of those counties after a new ruler not of their faith or culture was installed. Something that may become a necessary inconvenience in the future and surely a choice to keep in mind, but not yet, I suggest. Prince Helgi would argue that our recruiting of demesne levies should be significantly advanced before we contemplate that – lest resisting chiefs or indeed kingdom-wide independence plots in the ‘new territories’ be motivated to mischief. Not to mention some external adversary taking the opportunity to strike at us.”

“Wise words, Hrörekr. And while it is not a choice I can make at the moment anyway, it may become useful for me or Helgi afterwards, at the right time and if peaceful conversion is simply taking too long.”

“Thank you, My Liege. And, because it is an ‘either/or’ choice between religious revocation or that applied to traitors and outlaws, adopting religious control would remove the other form from our legal armoury. It is more a matter of which is the most serious and pressing problem for the foreseeable future as to which legal approach we should take.”

“Again, that makes great good sense. I think it may get to the point of treason first, as this generation of subjugated chiefs and their immediate successors hold sway. And who knows what Prince Helgi may have to contend with after he takes up the reins.”

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Before turning to a recently received dispatch sent back from far Breizh, Rurik calls for a report from Steward Alfgeir, another councillor who has been with him since the founding of Holmgarðr in January 867, on the kingdom's finances. It is a poor region, with very low incomes compared to the rich lands of the West and the Mediterranean they periodically raid.

“King Rurik, with costs lowered due to the absence of the levy on raiding duties, we still turn a small surplus in net revenue each month,” said the diminutive [ie dwarf] Steward. “You currently retain 114 gold and 129 silver in your treasury. With monthly income of just under 2 gold and expenses of 36 silver, we are left with a monthly balance of 1 gold and 63 silver marks net income.”

“Until we can either build our domestic tax revenues or tap into a trade route somehow, we are condemned to raiding for any serious money, aren’t we?”

“Very true, Sire. We barely break even from domestic sources. The average single county in the West generates far more income that our whole kingdom.”

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Finally, Rurik turns to a report from Hrolfr in Breizh that has been sent back by courier. It pertains to nearby Frankia and the current state of the Duchy and County of Anjou, which seems to be in the middle of some conflict and occupation. It seems there is strife in the land. [Included as a footnote for the benefit of those of us who follow @JabberJock14 and his epic Before Plantagenet saga. This is the Before the Before Plantagenet House d’Anjou! :D]

UdMsWd.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

January-May 884

By 10 January, Hrolfr’s raiders have scooped up all easily available loot in Roazhon and have no intention of siege out the powerfully built and well-garrisoned castle there. They move off to greener pastures.

owGAZE.jpg

A little over a week later, they are in Domnonia and laying siege to the castle of Monkontour, the Breton King’s seat. This looks a more promising siege target and, once reduced, will give access to more easily taken holdings – a bishopric and a city. Should be rich pickings.

XUJJcV.jpg

All loot from the countryside had been scraped up and sent to the ships by mid-March. Hrolfr decided to continue the siege to get their hands on the other holdings of the province.

xgnF4l.jpg

The siege of Monkontour ended and the castle sacked on 31 May. The haul is excellent and no casualties were sustained. On next to the siege of the Bishopric of Paimpol. It was well-garrisoned but lightly fortified and this siege should not take as long.

x4cbrU.jpg

SHX57N.jpg

The sacking of Monkontour, 31 May 884 AD, as later depicted by the Bretons. No valuable was spared. Nor, alas, were the populace.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

June-August 884

While the raiders continued their run of sieges in Breizh, Rurik found himself occupied with domestic concerns during the warm days of June.

“My King, a message from your Royal Falconer,” said one of his attendants as he handed over a note. [Noting Rurik changed back to a hunting focus some time back, I assumed this is an event from that stream.]

“Ah, my new bird!” Rurik hurried off to go hunting immediately.

NUXNJR.jpg

NB: I thought I could do with a small opinion boost with the troublesome Miemo, have plenty of prestige to hand already and why would Rurik make a silly comment and thereby offend Nuyanza, Chief of Ingria and one of his few lords with a positive opinion of him?

While he was out hawking, Rurik happened to come across Chief Miemo, who was also out hunting.

“Hmmph, nice bird,” muttered Miemo with as much grace as he could muster. “Good to see a king who at least likes a vigorous hunt.”

“Yes, Miemo, there may be a few things we find in common. I would wish relations between us could be improved over time,” Rurik answered, more in hope than expectation.

“Maybe,” was the simple non-committal reply from Miemo, as he nodded briefly and moved off after his own quarry.

JB6bTQ.jpg

After that refreshing session of hawking, it was brought to Rurik’s attention that Helgi’s daughter Yngvild had just turned six and should be given something to focus on during the formative years of her childhood. He decided that learning the ways of thrift would be a useful pursuit for her.

ZNdFrm.jpg

In mid-June, the Queen’s spy network reported yet another Slovensky internecine murder plot.

kCjI1e.jpg

The note is handed over to Gumarich for safe keeping. As he did so, Rurik remarked: “You know, so long as they’re not trying to kill me or mine, I care not if these fractious Slavs see fit to murder each other off! Spare me the details.”

The summer passed quietly enough and in late-August, Chancellor Hrörekr reported another successful outcome of his statecraft – with none other than independence-leader Miemo!

DfsfH0.jpg

NB: This was not targeted to Miemo, but perhaps the statecraft algorithm targeted him as a good target. Or it is just random (see more below).

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

September-December 884

In early September, Rurik’s eldest daughter Iliania turned 12. How time flies! thought Rurik to himself. Iliana, readers may recall [or will now anyway ;)] was betrothed to the young Chief Bayça of Saray, of the Pecheneg realm. It was time to choose an educational focus for the young woman.

“My dear Ana, my very best love and wishes on your birthday.”

“Thank you, Papa,” replied Iliana, who had always been a most affectionate child.

After the exchange of small talk and a gift from Rurik, he got down to business.

“As you have known for some time now, you are betrothed to a grandson of the High Chief of the Pechenegs. I have great hopes for your happiness with him and also for building a close relationship between our two realms one day, based on this marriage. Therefore, I have decided you should pursue a diplomatic education. It should help you in your great adventure – to start in four short years’ time!”

“Oh, that sounds very good, papa. I’m sure I will enjoy it.” Iliana then blushes and adds “The education, that is!”

gNl9yK.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Back in Brittany, things had begun to hot up. The siege of Paimpol concluded with a very rich sacking – over 40 gold marks. The city of Sant-Brieg would be next, but agents report most of the loot had already been stripped and it would not be worth the wait. However, a high price had been paid for this loot, with almost 600 troops being lost – though their actual fate was mysterious.

868vUY.jpg

“Near 600 men lost, you say!” exclaimed a disbelieving Hrolfr. “By what cause?”

“We cannot say for sure, Hrolfr. Whether from desertion, sickness, ambush or muggings, we cannot identify a single cause!” said Sverker, who is also mystified, as is Þorsteinn.

“Let us see if we can eventually discover the cause – this is a grievous loss and will take months of recruiting back home to remedy. We lose only 40 in a pitched battle with the Breton army and then 600 during the siege of a lowly bishopric. A dire mystery indeed.”

Ch44 Q1: Mysterious Siege Casualties. OK, there were no pop-up message to explain what had happened to these troops and I haven’t changed my message settings (not deliberately, anyway). Every time in the past I’ve suffered such casualties, I got a pop-up explaining the event, if not the exact casualties at the time. Is there any ready explanation of this loss, or something I should be checking in my message settings etc? Or does this just happen sometimes?

The next day, with the mystery of the missing soldiers unsolved, Hrolfr decided to march his now somewhat depleted force to Kernev instead, for some hopefully easier pickings. The fleet will shadow them, sitting off on the Bretagne Coast.

slVOOm.jpg

After arriving in Kernev on 26 September, they scoured the countryside for loot, a process that finished as the autumn headed towards winter. And there was another mysterious loss of troops during that time, with 174 more raiders disappearing without explanation. [Same as before in Roazhon, though this time there was no end-of-siege screen, as they moved off before concluding it].

KsbjBk.jpg

Hrolfr wondered whether the treasure and prestige they would gain will have been worth the loss of valuable soldiers. But the show must go on.

“We will head to the boats now and have done with Breizh – we may have secured much treasure, but Marshal Helgi will not be pleased it has cost well over 800 troops in total! Especially if we are unable to provide an explanation as to what happened to most of them!”

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

As they boarded the ships, Hrolfr, Þorsteinn and Sverker pondered their next target: despite the losses suffered, they felt returning with the fleet less than half full of booty would be undesirable.

“We should go for something nearby, reasonably lucrative – and not owned by one of our Norse brothers,” ventured Sverker – a veteran of raids in this region.

“I agree,” said Hrolfr, formerly of Normandie. “And the Franks are too strong, especially with our depleted force. We would risk a battle at poor odds before we could gather the loot we seek.”

“So we need somewhere close, fairly rich and preferably part of a small realm. Any suggestions, you two?" asked Þorsteinn, for whom this was his first visit to Western Europa.

“I think Cornwall would be a good target," said Sverker, with confidence. "We’ve been there before, but they will have largely refilled their coffers - in time for us to empty them again! It is but a single county realm now. I say we give them another reminder of Norse adventure tourism!” The other two agree with Sverker’s [deliberately anachronistic] holiday suggestion.

“And if we are still able, I note the small realms of western Wales remain independent. I further suggest a visit to Dyfed, which looks relatively unplundered, if Cornwall works out all right. Then home,” added Hrolfr. It was agreed – the fleet set sail for Land’s End.

fVxLea.jpg

By the end of November, the Garðarikian raiding force – now numbering about 1,600 - was poised to once again fall upon the unfortunate Cornishmen.

kPZTgb.jpg

While this was happening, back in Garðaríki the new weaponsmith was finally completed in Torzhok. This would hopefully do something to more quickly replenish the demesne troop stocks which it seemed were so regularly depleted – even in times of ‘peace’.

Shz86F.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Question

So, apart from any general comments, questions or advice you may have, the main question Hrolfr has posed to his officers and advisers is:

Ch44 Q1: Mysterious Siege Casualties. OK, there were no pop-up message to explain what had happened to these troops and I haven’t changed my message settings (not deliberately, anyway). Every time in the past I’ve suffered such casualties, I got a pop-up explaining the event, if not the exact casualties at the time. Is there any ready explanation of this loss, or something I should be checking in my message settings etc? Or does this just happen sometimes?

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

J2bGCE.jpg

The raiders were soon busy loading the loot aboard the boats as it flowed in from the Cornish countryside. Though, this time, it would be just a 'smash and grab' rather than the long stay and sieges of the previous raid. Sverker felt a fond nostalgia as he plied his axe once again on shores familiar from the beginning of his service with Rurik.

Last edited:
great episode as always, looking forward to the next one with its twist? :)

“Oh, that sounds very good, papa. I’m sure I will enjoy it.” Iliana then blushes and adds “The education, that is!”
the steppe men, always charming :D

Ch44 Q1: Mysterious Siege Casualties. OK, there were no pup-up message to explain what had happened to these troops and I haven’t changed my message settings (not deliberately, anyway). Every time in the past I’ve suffered such casualties, I got a pop-up explaining the event, if not the exact casualties at the time. Is there any ready explanation of this loss, or something I should be checking in my message settings etc? Or does this just happen sometimes?
I'd say this is a bug? Those heretic bishops have their insidious ways by Loki's smelly armpit!

with 174 more raiders disappearing without explanation.
is it a very cold winter? I know these are hardy guys from a cold place but maybe things are hard when you're living off the land?

any general comments

Well it's good to be back, I caught up and finally I am here!

Ch44 Q1: Mysterious Siege Casualties. OK, there were no pup-up message to explain what had happened to these troops and I haven’t changed my message settings (not deliberately, anyway). Every time in the past I’ve suffered such casualties, I got a pop-up explaining the event, if not the exact casualties at the time. Is there any ready explanation of this loss, or something I should be checking in my message settings etc? Or does this just happen sometimes?
Uhm, checking the whole thing, I would say attrition seems the likely cause. In march and may you were fine, but I assume that without you noticing, between november and december, all those guys got killed off. The reason why the attrition symbol is not in the image is, I think, because you fell under the attrition number before you took the screenshot.
Either that or you missed a notification of a successful raid on the besiegers, a bandit raid or a plague in the camp, but this seems unlikely.

My default guess would be attrition - though it seems quite excessive.

A few quick non-Thing responses in the meantime:
Those heretic bishops have their insidious ways by Loki's smelly armpit!
Haha, like it! :D
Well it's good to be back, I caught up and finally I am here!
And it’s great to have you back! Thanks for the commitment to come back up to date too.

Thanks @Surt and @stnylan too for your suggestions.

In general, I’m pretty confident I didn’t miss any message notifications, but you never know. And I thought attrition might be one explanation, but had my eye on the raiders in general the whole time and never saw the attrition symbol. Also, I’d had that many troops either off raiding or at war back in the neighbouring realms and hadn’t suffered it. And in Kernev I started with fewer than 2,000 and still took the extra casualties.

My hunch was some siege event that didn’t have a notification set or some failure of the message system, though when I went through the message options once quickly nothing leapt out. I may have another forensic look - if anyone has a suggestion as to which message setting(s) I should concentrate on (presumably under the Military tab) that would be welcome. And for a while, if there is one, I might set it to pause the game when it comes up.

Nice to see Rurik getting a chance to relax, unwind, and attend to his domestic life and his hobbies while others handle most of the heavy lifting. Even kings need a "stay-cation" every now and again.

(I am also shamelessly cribbing the phrase "Norse adventure tourism" for my own purposes if I ever get a Viking AAR of my own off the ground ;) Figured I'd give you fair warning.)

In general, I’m pretty confident I didn’t miss any message notifications, but you never know. And I thought attrition might be one explanation, but had my eye on the raiders in general the whole time and never saw the attrition symbol. Also, I’d had that many troops either off raiding or at war back in the neighbouring realms and hadn’t suffered it. And in Kernev I started with fewer than 2,000 and still took the extra casualties.

I think this may be a consequence of the way CK2 ties events to characters rather than to "factions" per se -- I'm guessing that the events did fire, but since Rurik wasn't in command they fired for the respective commanders, and since these aren't flagged as "important" characters you were never notified. Or, in in-universe terms, the raid commanders did know what was going on, but they didn't see fit to dispatch a valuable boat back to the homeland for every "trivial" event that takes place on the raid.

Of course, this is mostly my own speculation, and I could very well be wrong.

(I am also shamelessly cribbing the phrase "Norse adventure tourism" for my own purposes if I ever get a Viking AAR of my own off the ground ;) Figured I'd give you fair warning.)
No worries, glad you liked it - it’s yours! :D
I think this may be a consequence of the way CK2 ties events to characters rather than to "factions" per se -- I'm guessing that the events did fire, but since Rurik wasn't in command they fired for the respective commanders, and since these aren't flagged as "important" characters you were never notified. Or, in in-universe terms, the raid commanders did know what was going on, but they didn't see fit to dispatch a valuable boat back to the homeland for every "trivial" event that takes place on the raid.

Of course, this is mostly my own speculation, and I could very well be wrong.
This sounds very plausible indeed. I hadn’t added these newer commanders as characters of interest, whereas I get the most boring little notifications for those (mainly family members, chiefs and councillors) who I had tagged. Too late now for this raid (it’s been played through to its end) but I will remember for the future.

Attrition sounds most likely to me as well. The supported limit can change with season, disease, and sometimes event. But if you say you were keeping an eye on things, I don't know.

Also, I'm pretty sure that religious revocation of titles is in addition to the other reasons, not either/or. Also, looking at the wiki page, you may need some degree of tribal organization, or perhaps that is a different path to the same capability.

Attrition sounds most likely to me as well. The supported limit can change with season, disease, and sometimes event. But if you say you were keeping an eye on things, I don't know.

Also, I'm pretty sure that religious revocation of titles is in addition to the other reasons, not either/or. Also, looking at the wiki page, you may need some degree of tribal organization, or perhaps that is a different path to the same capability.
Ok, thanks: the reason it looked like an either/or to me was the mouse over box with the conditions in it (displayed in the chapter) which for religious revocation said “does not have the law titled law revocation disallowed”. On rereading it now, with your point, I think I may have been misled by the double negative contained within the statement! That, plus the lack of experience in implementing it and the inability to experiment with it. I also now notice that the condition is marked with the green asterisk and not the Red Cross - does that mean it is progressive/accumulative on this line - ie you add each type of revocation as you progress from left to right?

Anyway, I’ll also look at that wiki ref as well, but this looks like another occasion that the Thing comes through. The Chancellor will have to change his advice - even if such a change may be a few years off from being made yet. :)

Reminds me, have you checked the disease map?
Good thinking. :) I didn't at the time, but this is it as at a few months later. A bit of slow fever in England, small pox in the south of France and (off map) the Middle East but not much else.

6vG3ve.jpg

All: I think we have talked this one through as much as necessary and I have the second barrel of the session's shotgun ready to fire (played on a week or two to round it out), so will put that up now.

Chapter 45: Tragical Mystery Tour Ends (1 January – 2 May 885)
Chapter 45: Tragical Mystery Tour Ends (1 January – 2 May 885)

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

January-March 885

By the end of January, Cornwall’s countryside was stripped of valuables. The raiders boarded the ships again (having suffered no more mysterious casualties) and set off on the short trip to Dyfed.

8nbt0J.jpg

Meanwhile, Hrörekr had again been applying his statecraft to Chief Miemo, improving relations even further.

n4wA8F.jpg

The raiding fleet arrived off Dyfed on 10 February and was busy looting the countryside by 19 February. There was still a reasonable amount of loot to be had – it would go into the ships and then they would return home.

xUmhxx.jpg

A month later, King Arthfael II of Deheubath finally raised a small levy in the adjoining county, but there were not enough troops to pose a threat. Hrolfr ignored them, scooping up as much treasure as possible as quickly as possible.

NvlmLC.jpg

By 1 April, the great raid was almost finished – while back home, a peasant uprising occurred in Chud. The raiders (oblivious to these events so far away, of course) would gather the last of the available loot and return soon, which was just as well, as their services would likely be required back home.

sdtent.jpg

Tommo of Chud is disgruntled. Poor petal! They will be granted independence from the lands of the living – may Hel take them! Blasted traitors indeed. Their skulls will be used as drinking vessels.

tp1Ve5.jpg

Still, with the raiders still in Britannia, the rebels – despite only having light infantry and archers among their numbers – could prove hard to dislodge in the interim, depending on how many vassals respond. Helgi is summoned for a planning session with his father, the king.

“Son, what are our options here? I’m assuming that any levy dismissal with our troops in far lands would be disastrous.”

“Yes father and we must assume they will have taken casualties during their raid as well. I think our main option for now is to call any likely vassals to arms and see what we can come up with, then see what else, if anything, needs to be done after that.”

“So be it. Who might answer the call?”

“Grimr the Ever-Faithful, of course. Smaleskja has never let us down. Vsemil might send troops, but unfortunately his regard for us has waned in recent months, so we can’t count on him. Svetozar provides some luke-warm support for now and answered recently, so he’s a possibility.”

“Send out the call to them and let’s see what we get. If one other in addition to Grimr answers, it might be enough to take the fight to these traitors early.”

p8gZyM.jpg

While regarding the maps, Rurik sees that Mari has won its war of subjugation against the Mordvins and is now, on paper at least, a significant power to be reckoned with on the eastern border.

“Why was I not alerted to this earlier, Hrörekr? I shouldn’t be finding these things out by accident. Can they be reported as a matter of course? I get alerts for insignificant murder plots between Slovenskys – surely we can do the same for foreign wars?”

“My Liege, I will see what can be put in place.”

indiRK.jpg

Ch45 Q1: Foreign War Reporting. I have made ‘A war you were not part of ends’ a Priority 1 alert – meaning I should get a pop-up. But it was already Priority 2 and nothing appeared re the Mari victory in the message alerts either. How widely (if at all) is the declaration and conclusion of a foreign war you are not part of reported? Do you have to flag the ruler of the country(ies) involved as characters of interest to get them? I don’t think I’ve been getting any at all so far. Basically, I’d like a pop-up that says “Mari won its war of subjugation against Mordvin”. I’m used to seeing them in other AARs (and realise that by getting them I might be wading through a lot of unwanted war start/end messages but can see what is bearable). Have I ticked the right topic and button (Pri 1)? Do I need to pick the countries I’m interested in and flag their rulers as well? I cycled through all the alerts on the menu and ticked a few others too that I want for AAR (mainly) purposes too.

7 April saw the end of the great raid, with no more casualties and a reasonable haul of gold. The ships begin to be boarded.

MZh1DO.jpg

And over the next week or so, the first round of answers from the vassals trickle through. Unfortunately, only Grimr has responded positively this time.

dGla28.jpg

On 12 April, the fleet embarked on its long voyage from Britannia to Ingria.

BzfLD6.jpg

(5:01 min)
Going Home, by Mark Knopfler. Hrolfr will hope he is considered not just a Local, but a National Hero on his return!

The rebels have a lot of people hostile to them, as seems to be the norm! But most are not prepared to answer the call to fight them in Chud, as the fort in that county is fairly rapidly sieged down.

J9Pga6.jpg

After the final refusal by Vsemil of the call to arms was received on 16 April, Rurik, Helgi and Hrörekr met to consider next steps.

“So, we only have Grimr’s 561 troops so far committed to the cause. I’m loath to send them to hunt the rebels given their numerical disadvantage. No point in seeing our largest vassal ally’s men butchered needlessly. Hrörekr, Helgi, run me through the other possibilities.”

Another annotated map is laid before the King, to help guide the discussion.

EChgc0.jpg

“Father, I will start. As we discussed a few weeks ago, dismissing and recalling the levies would lead to unacceptable losses. Regaining Chud early would be little recompense for such a disaster. We’re still recovering from the last time that happened. And couriers returned from the raiding party report quite heavy casualties were suffered in Briezh, though were unclear about the cause.”

“Agreed, Helgi. Hrörekr, are there any other vassals we haven’t already asked who might respond to a call favourably?”

“My Liege, Hrolfr’s people, in his absence, would likely come if asked. It is unclear how many would be available: one estimate says up to 707 would be sent, but another says he only has 268 troops to hand.”

“Good. Then let’s ask him Helgi and we’ll soon find out!”

“Of course, Father, though I doubt he has 700 men yet. On another aspect, this is a war, so there is the option of using your prestige to summon another tribal army. But that would seem like overkill, especially as we’d be unlikely to be able to use them gainfully afterwards and they would no doubt wander off, as they have done previously.”

“Again, agreed. Finishing the rebels early is not worth the prestige it would cost me.”

“And we have not the money to hire and sustain mercenaries and again. Even if we did, I don’t believe it would be worth squandering our precious gold for getting a backwoods county such as Chud back early. A stain on our honour though the revolt may be.”

“Then we are left with seeing if the Vladimir levy, if it comes, together with Grimr’s troops, might be enough to send against the rebels. Otherwise, we must wait for the raiding force to return before we can refresh the levy.”

The other two nodded.

Ch45 Q2: Allied Objectives When Not Attached to an Army. The two options presented for allied contigents when they are not ordered to join your army are to either siege enemy counties (the rebels don’t hold one yet, so I presume that would be pointless in current circumstances) or to ‘hunt enemies’. I take it the latter leaves it up to the AI’s discretion as to what they seek to attack. Anyone have experience of how that tends to go? Is the AI smart enough not to attack with clearly inferior numbers? Would they work in tandem with another allied contingent (eg Hrolfr’s if it responds) or just blunder around by itself? I always assume the worst case with the AI unless demonstrated experience indicates otherwise! The answer to the next question may, however, give me a bit of a work-around in this case.

Ch45 Q3: Calling up Unsummoned Demesne Levy Contingents While Some are Already Deployed. OK, I’ve noticed there were a couple of small demesne levies (the two Godis, mainly) who I didn’t summon for the raid. The relevant button says I could summon about 60 or so troops without the need to dismiss and resummon the main contingents, with the prohibitive losses that would incur. So, am I right in assuming I could do that, then call allied contingents to join that army, so I could centralise and control them more reliably? Without jeopardising things? I’d do a little experiment, but because I’m in Ironman mode I can’t afford to stuff it up, so am asking the Þing instead.

“Ah, My Liege, while I am here, I have other news for you,” says Hrörekr a little tentatively.

“It’s all right – the red rage is not on me today, my old friend. You may speak plainly, as I can tell from your demeanour the news is not good.”

“Just so, My Liege. While my efforts to bring Chief Miemo closer to your cause have born much fruit in recent times, other things count against good relations. While he has lost his rancour at having been defeated by you in battle, so too has his gratitude for being subjugated rather than disowned also worn off in recent weeks. Alas, the net effect is that his regard is not much better than it was before my recent initiatives.”

“Ah, but without them his anger would still be red hot – and he might be provoked into even more reckless action. As long as his levy is small compared to his grievances, we can wait him out.”

Sk8De5.jpg

Swings and roundabouts!

“Yes, My Liege. Though I am more concerned about his influence on others, especially Jarl Tyueykezhut of Yaroslavl. His levy alone is 1,700 men. If the three Tverian chiefs were to join him, they would bring around another 1,000. With the bulk of our own troops still abroad and this revolt in Chud unchecked, my fear is they could strike while your back is turned.”

“I don’t think they will, Hrörekr, but by all means look into it after this coming Þing, as there is nothing much we can do about it if it does come to pass before then. If they were to revolt, I could at least summon a tribal army in extremis, as the Romans would say, and await the return of the raiding party. Then settle their hash for good!”

They left the matter to rest. [I may look into the current independence plot in more detail in the next episode, but suffice it to say the Independence faction is currently still around only 54%, with four members who could muster 2,370 troops between them, so I’m not too worried about it. But don’t want it getting bigger.]

“Perhaps now is the time to start influencing the ones that might be amenable to it. I know Alfgeir will tell me money is always a problem, but I can try handing out a few ceremonial posts I’ve been holding back. Hrörekr,” said Rurik, turning back to his Chancellor. Let’s get out the list of vacant appointments and possible candidates again. We will augment your statecraft with some patronage.”

“My Liege, we can appoint a court dwarf. There are only two candidates – Alfgeir – who hardly needs the boosting – and his daughter, Ingrid. Dwarfism seems to run in the family.”

pfbnmn.jpg

“I know we don’t really need to curry favour with her, but I like the idea of making this appointment anyway. Ingrid is the new Court Dwarf. I notice too she is of marriageable age. At some point in the near future, we should look to the various young men and women who might be available as matches to help spread Norse culture and religion.”

“Yes, My Liege. Next we have the post of Dróttseti – a far more substantive position. A number of the ‘troublesome new chiefs’ could be appointed. I have ranked them here in order of their assessed, ah, disposition toward you, Sire.”

VYYUTR.jpg

“I’m thinking Jarl Tyueykezhut for that one. He is by far the most powerful of my vassals and, if I have no room as yet for him on the High Council, perhaps this post will do a little to blunt his antipathy.”

“A good choice, My Liege. We have three Hirdman positions still unallocated. Perhaps a couple of the other chiefs for those, at least? May I suggest Chief Gradimir – a slippery and dangerous kinslayer, if I may say so, but we need to keep him ‘in the tent’”.

“Very well, Hrörekr – though I must admit I dislike him intensely. Vladislav of Tver for the other, do you think?”

“We may as well, Sire. It would make little difference to Miemo and Vladislav can muster more troops.”

“Then it is done. Please arrange the appointments.”

MFWXFL.jpg

pEsbvk.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

That evening, as Rurik contemplated his family relationships in the privacy of his personal chamber, he thought of his wife, so many years away in far Constantinople, having only made a few quick visits in that time. He found he no longer held the previous plot on Helgi’s life against her as he had done: it had been motivated out of a desire to promote her children and secure the succession for one of the true Germanic faith. That had all been resolved years ago now and she had never renewed the plot, doing good work to help develop learning in the realm, at risk to her own life and causing her considerable stress. Time heals many wounds, he noted in his private journal. It might be nice to see her again and for the children to see more of their mother.

tk55Ty.jpg

Rurik also considered his eldest child by Ingjerðr, Asa, who had recently come of age. He loved her well enough but, if being honest with himself, realised she was a bit – well, underwhelming. At least she was dutiful and diligent and perhaps could help forge a bond by a marriage, either within the realm to shore up the dynasty’s long-term position, or with a foreign scion that might lead to cooperation or even alliance. He would give thought to that later – for now, there were other things to attend to.

VyIsvx.jpg

And finally, before he turned in for the night, Rurik noted his thoughts on one of the most important relationships for the future of the realm after he left it: that between Helgi, the overwhelmingly supported heir to the kingdom, and his eldest son by Ingjerðr – Eilif, now 14 years old and nearing his majority. Eilif would become a powerful Jarl in Garðaríki then – as would Helgi’s other half-brother, Dyre – and it was important they all got on well with each other. The relationship between Helgi and Eilif was now better than it had once been: most importantly, Eilif now had a mildly positive relationship with his half-brother. And already showed great martial potential: he would speak to Helgi about considering Eilif for the position of Marshal once Helgi ruled and Eilif was of age. It should keep him close and happy. And Eilif would soon need a good match found for him, as well. Maybe someone from one of the Norse countries, if the future expansion of the realm lay in that direction.

BUwlwW.jpg

Characters of Interest. Following on from discussion after last episode, at this point (being where I had paused the last session, the reporting of which was held over for length reasons) I also flagged the remaining commanders - Sverker, Hrolfr, Snorri, Þorsteinn – as tracked characters, largely to test the proposition that the siege events from Brittany weren’t reported because they were commanding and hadn’t been so flagged. It may get tested at some point in the future.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

“My Liege, important news has just arrived from Belo Ozero.” Hrörekr has entered, somewhat breathless, accompanied by a messenger who had clearly just arrived and not even had the opportunity to wash the grime of the road from his person. “Tell our king the news, Dobrovar.”

“My King, the Cleansing Flame has been snuffed out. He passed away on 26 April, never having recovered fully from the injuries he suffered in his many battles,” said the tired courier, as he handed a sealed message cylinder to King Rurik.

BclwD4.jpg

“I will miss him, even if we were never boon companions. In recent years he has fought by our side and lost his second son in battle for the kingdom. So, his eldest son has taken over as Chief, I see.”

“Yes, My King. Chief Ladimir sends his respects.”

“I’m sure he does. Go and get cleaned up Dobrovar. I will drink a toast to both the old and new chiefs tonight and urge you to as well.”

After the man leaves, Rurik turned to Hrörekr. “I would have the measure of this new Chief of Belo Ozero – I know him not, nor his reputation. Bring me what you have on him in a couple of days and I will decide what to do with the court appointments his father held and which now lie vacant.”

“Of course, My Liege”

A couple of days later, as spring brought with it the smell of fresh grass – and of unwashed bodies and the fruitier odour of livestock in the warming weather – Hrörekr arrived with a sheaf of papers concerning the new Chief of Belo Ozero, who would remain an important player in the realm, for as long as he maintained his rule, anyway.

“Let me have the short summary first, Hrörekr.”

“On the positive side, Chief Ladimir is 25, a fair tactician and an effective schemer.” Rurik nodded tentatively at this.

“Alas,” continued the Chancellor “he is also a shy, gluttonous, deceitful, paranoid, heathen Finnish craven, who likes you not.”

Hrörekr had tactfully failed to mention Ladimir was also considered stark raving mad – which actually gave him something in common with his king. “Our Seer is also a little worried that his gluttony may lead him into the worship of Hel. Or perhaps already has, evidenced by his somewhat, ah, erratic personal behaviour. But there is no way to know.”

Qd7Zxp.jpg

“Right, yet another rabid Slovensky and not half the man his father – love him or loathe him – turned out to be. But we must work with him.”

“Yes, My Liege. I suggest we confer his father’s titles on him in turn, otherwise he may feel slighted, while confirming those appointments will make the relationship a little better. With some more work, he might even be persuaded to once again furnish his levy if called upon to do so.”

“Do it then, Hrörekr, and we’ll see if he can be won around. There are enough turbulent chiefs around as it is – we can’t afford another, especially from one of our original counties.”

wsWArQ.jpg

A couple of other men may have been a little better qualified in a military sense, but – like Svetozar – Ladimir will be made a commander for largely political purposes. And with the likes of Þorsteinn, Hrolfr, Sverker and Snorri to choose from – not to mention Rurik himself and Helgi if necessary – there is no lack of military talent in Garðaríki for commanding troops.

gqua0E.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

On the first day of May, word came back from distant Vladimir: as hoped for, Hrolfr’s levy had indeed answered the call to arms to fight the rebels – even while their new chief was still sailing back from his great raid in the West. And it was the lower (but still reasonable) number of troops that were available. [The higher amount, as suspected, must be the notional upper levy limit for Vladimir.]

V3W5rC.jpg

Meanwhile, reports showed the peasant’s siege of the small tribal holding in Chud was making fairly quick progress. It was unlikely to last more than another month and a half.

Rurik, Helgi and Hrörekr summoned all the relevant experts for a major Þing in Nygarðr, to gather advice to inform their next steps. Their first thoughts are to call up the small unraised Temple levy in the capital county of Holmgarðr, then instruct the two allied levies of Smaleskja and Vladimir to join them. Perhaps even take the fight to the rebels before the raiders can return and a new levy summoned. Or at least be ready as an advanced guard.

mEzE1f.jpg

Ch45 Q4: Peasant Revolt Warscore and Strategy. Under usual circumstances for peasant revolts, what kind of warscore would taking Chud give the rebels? Would taking it send it to 100% and mean I lose the county, or would they also (like in other circumstances) need to win a field battle as well to win and force me to yield? This being my first such, I’m not sure how much time I have to gather a riposte. And any views on the initial holding approach (concentrating vassal ally levies around a small demesne levy) would also be welcome. Together, they might even be strong enough to send against a lightly armed peasant levy.

At this point, the raiding fleet was only just then passing the cliffs of Dover and still weeks away from landfall in Ingria.

QCEPjb.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Questions

Here are the main questions Rurik has posed to the Þing. Although, as always other general advice or comments are always welcomed warmly.

Ch45 Q1: Foreign War Reporting. I have made ‘A war you were not part of ends’ a Priority 1 alert – meaning I should get a pop-up. But it was already Priority 2 and nothing appeared re the Mari victory in the message alerts either. How widely (if at all) is the declaration and conclusion of a foreign war you are not part of reported? Do you have to flag the ruler of the country(ies) involved as characters of interest to get them? I don’t think I’ve been getting any at all so far. Basically, I’d like a pop-up that says “Mari won its war of subjugation against Mordvin”. I’m used to seeing them in other AARs (and realise that by getting them I might be wading through a lot of unwanted war start/end messages but can see what is bearable). Have I ticked the right topic and button (Pri 1)? Do I need to pick the countries I’m interested in and flag their rulers as well? I cycled through all the alerts on the menu and ticked a few others too that I want for AAR (mainly) purposes too.

Ch45 Q2: Allied Objectives When Not Attached to an Army. The two options presented for allied contigents when they are not ordered to join your army are to either siege enemy counties (the rebels don’t hold one yet, so I presume that would be pointless in current circumstances) or to ‘hunt enemies’. I take it the latter leaves it up to the AI’s discretion as to what they seek to attack. Anyone have experience of how that tends to go? Is the AI smart enough not to attack with clearly inferior numbers? Would they work in tandem with another allied contingent (eg Hrolfr’s if it responds) or just blunder around by itself? I always assume the worst case with the AI unless demonstrated experience indicates otherwise! The answer to the next question may, however, give me a bit of a work-around in this case.

Ch45 Q3: Calling up Unsummoned Demesne Levy Contingents While Some are Already Deployed. OK, I’ve noticed there were a couple of small demesne levies (the two Godis, mainly) who I didn’t summon for the raid. The relevant button says I could summon about 60 or so troops without the need to dismiss and resummon the main contingents, with the prohibitive losses that would incur. So, am I right in assuming I could do that, then call allied contingents to join that army, so I could centralise and control them more reliably? Without jeopardising things? I’d do a little experiment, but because I’m in Ironman mode I can’t afford to stuff it up, so am asking the Þing instead.

Ch45 Q4: Peasant Revolt Warscore and Strategy. Under usual circumstances for peasant revolts, what kind of warscore would taking Chud give the rebels? Would taking it send it to 100% and mean I lose the county, or would they also (like in other circumstances) need to win a field battle as well to win and force me to yield? This being my first such, I’m not sure how much time I have to gather a riposte. And any views on the initial holding approach (concentrating vassal ally levies around a small demesne levy) would also be welcome. Together, they might even be strong enough to send against a lightly armed peasant levy.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The peasant uprising, while no disaster, is an inconvenience and adds an additional vulnerability. This is exactly the kind of scenario I had earlier posited: a revolt while the main body of troops is off raiding. A war or independence rebellion at this point would be even nastier, though not, I think, catastrophic, even in combination.

pVyNRb.jpg

Bloody peasants! The quicker we turn them all into good Germanic Norsemen the better. Though Rurik is afraid that might take hundreds of years!

Last edited:
No responces for the latest questions. regarding the laws, most of the factors mentioned are in addition to existing capabilities, but some also mention things that you can no longer do as you drop to a certain level. Check the tribal organization laws for probable examples, though maybe they don't appear until you've upped it some.

All in all a good raid.

Another good episode :)

Unfortunately, only Grimr has responded positively this time.
I was expecting Vsemil to join in as well :/

I'm guessing this would work

If they were to revolt, I could at least summon a tribal army in extremis, as the Romans would say, and await the return of the raiding party. Then settle their hash for good!”
This is what I would do. Wait for the army to return. If something REALLY bad happens while they're away, call the tribal army as a last resort to patch things (and maybe put the tribal army to good use by declaring a few more wars to make the best of the prestige?).

I notice too she is of marriageable age. At some point in the near future, we should look to the various young men and women who might be available as matches to help spread Norse culture and religion.”
Not bad stats at all also, might help a small vassal to run his chiefdom more efficiently.

“he is also a shy, gluttonous, deceitful, paranoid, heathen Finnish craven, who likes you not.”
At least his coat of arms seem to have 2 sturgeons. I like some smoked sturgeons :D His father was a heathen, but a true man. How could he be known as the cleansing flame if he wasn't?

Perhaps even take the fight to the rebels before the raiders can return and a new levy summoned. Or at least be ready as an advanced guard.
What is the troop composition of the 2 armies that we have on the field?

I don't think it will blindly attack and meet certain death, but one can never be too sure about the AI.

Unfortunately I haven't touched message settings in a while now, so I can't really help here.

As with diskoerekto, I don't see why this wouldn't work. The AI is generally smart enough not to dash its brains out in an obviously unwinnable attack, though they are still sometimes embarrassingly prone to getting "baited" into attacking smaller forces while ignoring the fact that the big army that just marched into the fog one province over can smash their face in -- but then, the AI itself rarely sets traps like that in the first place, so that usually only ever happens by accident. In any case, from what I've seen smaller allied forces will tend to try to "lump" into the largest army within easy reach anyway, to increase their own odds of survival.

If the button isn't greyed out in your "Levies" screen, then that means that there are forces that can be called up. (Whether it's safe to do so is a different matter -- if you're not certain, either call up your units individually by province, or Shift-Click / Control-Click (I forget which; thankfully the in-game tooltip should clarify) to call up all units in provinces that don't have any active enemy armies.)

Peasant rebellions still operate under the normal war score mechanics (though I think the "Occupation" tick is a little faster than average, in both directions), so a decent-sized realm like Gardariki can generally afford to sacrifice a province or two if they have to. I'd still encourage mopping them up with all due speed, as nasty things can happen if they're allowed to spread, but in general peasant rebellions are rarely a threat by themselves -- unless you're a small realm with few holdings or really careless about suppressing them, they're only dangerous if the realm's stability is already fundamentally compromised in some way.