AI "Not willing to join another offensive war until...."?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jam94banjo

Sergeant
24 Badges
Dec 25, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
Hello,

What's the reasoning for this? If I understand what causes this then hopefully I can better manage the situation. I'm playing on beta 1.13.

nvCftSP.jpg
[/IMG]
nvCftSP.jpg

Cheers!

So AI ally actually gets to do some wars of its own instead of being player's/another ai's wrecking ball 24/7.

Reactions:
So AI ally actually gets to do some wars of its own instead of being player's/another ai's wrecking ball 24/7.

Any chance of having the modifier removed if the country is given cores/Power Projection because of the previous war?

Reactions:
Any chance of having the modifier removed if the country is given cores/Power Projection because of the previous war?

This is a good point, if we actually make sure to benefit the ally in our wars, and it gets to hurt its rivals or get some cores, it is hardly correct to say that the ally is merely "the player's wrecking ball".

Reactions:

I think that would make sense.

Reactions:
Just give the AI a negative willingness modifier "Didn't give claim/core in previous war" of -200 or so, which ticks down over time. I'd say that makes a lot more sense than having the AI refuse any wars for an arbitrary number of years.

Reactions:
Just give the AI a negative willingness modifier "Didn't give claim/core in previous war" of -200 or so, which ticks down over time. I'd say that makes a lot more sense than having the AI refuse any wars for an arbitrary number of years.
No matter what circumstance

Reactions:

I remember seing in one DD (unless i imagined it :)) that you said you would try to make AI smarter to not get used by players to fight player's wars all the time. Plus one for this change.

There should also be some metrics of how much is the player involved in AI wars, ie. if player is just sitting and not helping AI should know, relations should drop and in worst case AI need to break the alliance. Metrics should be something like : number of battles joined from total number of battles, units killed and lost, AI is losing war - should be worse for the relation with a player if not helping, AI winning war should make AI forgiving for players non-involvement, distance - AI should not expect much help in trans-continental wars etc... These all could be built into Trust modifier, but it should be transparent to the player at the end of the war - like saying: "You gained/lost X trust towards AI due to: responding to call, joined battles, occupations, giving territory etc..".

Reactions:
Wow that was a great change! Though it is far apart from perfect system, can be a nice temporary solution to block ally spamming. Hope for further improvement for this system.

Reactions:

There should still be something to stop you from using say Poland-Lithuania to help you destroy all of the HRE; they have no interest in expanding in that direction so they won't have cores or claims to worry about.

The AI really needs to be better at detecting conflicts on interest, again using Poland as an example my current go-to tactic for any state in North Germany is to ally Poland and then use them to punch the TO to death and give me all the provinces. In a recent game I managed to keep them as an ally in spite of -100 "desires provinces" after having done this, but they should really have been more reluctant to help me get to that state in the first place!

There should still be something to stop you from using say Poland-Lithuania to help you destroy all of the HRE; they have no interest in expanding in that direction so they won't have cores or claims to worry about.

There's already the "distant war" modifier. And then there's the "Attitude towards enemies" modifier. So if they really don't care and the war is too far away, they'll have multiple negative modifiers. Isn't that enough to prevent the scenario you're describing?

Reactions:
a nice change - implementation could be polished but the idea is sound - might actually make non-out-of-the-way European OPMs actually interesting to play now. It was fun calling France into 50+ offensive wars in a century but time to adapt as always.

Europe is affected most by this as ROTW countries generally lack ridiculously powerful beatsticks like PLC / France / HAB / Spain

One change I'll make is ally more countries of similar size and stagger in who you call into offensive wars, as OPMs and small countries are now pretty powerful in their own right.

Reactions:
I think thats outstanding idea

Reactions:
Wiz there is however one problem. I saw also the modifier (another -1000) - is fighting in another war. Ok, fine. But then Hungary called my ally who was fighting on my side to his offensive war. Isn't it a little "bullshit" that AI gets special treatment in that case? Or is that another case of something something, and then in case of that and something something it allows to something. And that rule is 34% chance to actually work. Etc?

Wiz there is however one problem. I saw also the modifier (another -1000) - is fighting in another war. Ok, fine. But then Hungary called my ally who was fighting on my side to his offensive war. Isn't it a little "bullshit" that AI gets special treatment in that case? Or is that another case of something something, and then in case of that and something something it allows to something. And that rule is 34% chance to actually work. Etc?

It depends on the war they're fighting, nothing to do with AI or not.

Reactions:

This is a really smart change. Perhaps in the future it could be made more dynamic, with provinces given to your ally reducing the cooldown time.

Reactions: