• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Brownbellies, though not much bigger than monkeys, hunt in packs of a hundred or more
Thats terrifying.

Circular volcanic rock walls are built to protect the vines from year-round winds.
Reminds me of a method the Easter Islanders in the pacific used to grow crops, though not grapes.

I may have missed the explanation for this or forgotten this, but what is the orgin of the faith of the first men in Valyria? (I myself have an odd drowned god sect in a Volantis province lol)

Really interesting concept to mix Valyria with Morrowind stuff, I have not played it myself but I have played skyrim, and from what I know about it, the ashy volcanic enviroment really fits well with a post-doom Valyria, great storytelling!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Everything on Valyria is related to either dragons or the Doom now?

Speaking of which, is this an indication that dragons evolved naturally without (much) magic? If so, why didn't the Targs bring a few of the photo-dragons (dragon kin?) with them to Dragonstone?
With the Doom being THE most significant event in this universe, I thought it only fitting to become the catalyst for everything in it's immediate visinity.
No-one knows the true origins of the dragons, unfortunately. I personally believe that there was both nature and magic involved.
The Targs probably didn't get the dragonkin with them cause the wyverns are found on Sothoryos and not in Valyria, and that place seems even more twisted than Valyria post-Doom; and the firewyrms are probably all dead in the lore. Also both species are VERY vicious and dangerous and don't seem to be domesticatable or bonded with like the dragons. The additional beasts in my universe were just recently discovered and are also like koalas in a sence cause they evolved to live specifically in Valyria and will wither and die without proper climate and feed.

Everything that I ever wanted to know about GoT flora and fauna. The illustrations are magnificent. What is wrong with a little possession when dealing with ancient prophecies? Thank you for everything that you write.
To be fair, you now actually know a lot about flora and fauna of Morrowind, my favourite game from The Elder Scrolls series. I just thought the lands of Vvardenfell and Valyria were strikingly similar (both even starting with V!), so here we are XD I really recommend trying this game out if you haven't already cause those king-sized musrooms and kwama and crazy-looking lizards and those flying btards that I love to hate like Joffrey? The are all in the game! There are also racist elves, cat and lizard people, handmade gods, assyrian-looking dwarves that are also elves who's whole nation vanished simultaneously in one moment and noone know why, and ugh I need to go reinstall the game now. And I wholeheartedly agree, a little bit of madness is a small price to pay for knowledge.

Thats terrifying.

Reminds me of a method the Easter Islanders in the pacific used to grow crops, though not grapes.

I may have missed the explanation for this or forgotten this, but what is the orgin of the faith of the first men in Valyria? (I myself have an odd drowned god sect in a Volantis province lol)

Really interesting concept to mix Valyria with Morrowind stuff, I have not played it myself but I have played skyrim, and from what I know about it, the ashy volcanic enviroment really fits well with a post-doom Valyria, great storytelling!
Literally every single thing I've read about Sothoryos is terrifying beyond all reason. I can't wait to either get more canon info about it ooor get some of my Targs there and just make my brain scare itself. It already has ideas.
When I was thinking about the Mhysa island, I was thinking about what it might be and Easter island was one of the things that came to mind. Then I made the stretch Faer = Avero, I googled "volcanic island grapes" hoping that maybe there would be something similar with the Easter. And lo and behold, Lanzarote. So now I violently crave a trip to the Canary cause I want to drink Dany's new favourite wine XD
You didn't miss or forget it, I have no idea how and why did those Old Gods worshippers appear there. The madlad and the snake were there when I got there and they both were already of those religions. I think maybe Colonizable Valyria submod has some kind of random for it when not done by the player? That's the only real-life explanation I can think of tbh. The Drowned God in Volantis sounds absolutely awesome! Lord of Light VS God of the Deep? Both The Other in the eyes of the other? Yes, please!
Thank you! As an obsessed fan of Morrowind, the connection once made became unbreakable for me, but I was anxious if it was too outlandish or out of reach so I hesitated at first, then I remembered we're all just having fun here with our little worlds and no harm's done, so I went for it in full force. I am so glad and relieved that it worked and looks natural not just in my fangirling eyes.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
MOD FOLDER 17.02.2023
Today I got an unexpected honour and delight to receive a message from a reader, @Phillip, who asked for my mod folder.

I never thought that it might be interesting to anyone but me, even though I am very interested in mod builds of other people myself (then again, I've never thought that anyone would read this AAR either yet here we are. I probably need to think about my self-esteem XD )

But anyway, here it is (I hope the authors don't mind).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Today I got an unexpected honour and delight to receive a message from a reader, @Phillip, who asked for my mod folder.

I never thought that it might be interesting to anyone but me, even though I am very interested in mod builds of other people myself (then again, I've never thought that anyone would read this AAR either yet here we are. I probably need to think about my self-esteem XD )

But anyway, here it is (I hope the authors don't mind).
is that your new mods list you using?

• 1Like
Reactions:
is that your new mods list you using?
Yes, it is the most recent build. As I made the Direwolves Expanded work with my save, I dropped the Wolflings mod cause the DE will now cover that. And I also incorporated the Extended Traits mod, hense the Z's in the mod files.

Reactions:
The Harpies: Knowledge is Power? Power is Power: Warden of the River. Going Down All the Way on the Demon Road. The Red Sister. Sons of Harpy Come Again

The Harpies​

While in the lands sworn to the Iron Throne the vile practice of slavery has been eradicated, it unfortunately is still alive and well in other parts of the world. The centre of the known world’s slave trade are the great cities of Slaver’s Bay, where everything from pleasure slaves to the feared eunuch soldiers known as the Unsullied can still be purchased.

More than 600 miles wide, Slaver’s Bay is more of a small sea than just a bay. The far west coast lies against the Valyrian Peninsula. The north coast is bleak and mostly unsettled. The only good harbour is at Bhorash, but that city was destroyed after the Doom of Valyria and the ruins were shunned until very recently. The east coast is home to the great slavers’ cities. To the south, beyond the Isle of Cedars, Slaver’s Bay becomes the Gulf of Grief, a great body of water so-called for the centuries of conflict between Valyria and Old Ghis that raged across its waters. The Doom of Valyria saw a wave of water hundreds of feet high slam across the gulf, destroying every ship in its path and devastating towns all along the coasts, giving the name fresh meaning. To the east the coast turns along the Summer Sea towards the Straits of Qarth.

Slaver’s Bay is dominated by the culture of Old Ghis, the great Ghiscari Empire which ruled this region for over three thousand years before it was laid low by the might of Valyria. Valyria kept a chokehold on Slaver’s Bay for well over four and a half thousand years (according to tradition) before it was destroyed in the Doom. In the four centuries since then, Ghiscari traditions and culture (or a modern version thereof) have reasserted themselves. However, a distinction should be drawn between the spreading power of New Ghis, which claims to be the Old Empire come again, and the cities of Astapor, Yunkai and Meereen, which are culturally Ghiscari but wished to maintain their political and economic independence. That wish however is not always respected among the cities, and once in a while the geopolitical landscape of the region shifts one way or another.

Slt07nqMOfjBpOrqSuiHiJCSzTIir2I2lZarOhc7t4graaVidP_3Pr9QE0wT-hSSM55kb6VdB7BrjgC0CZwgWXAZxWi_-vpltxB21fcfRTUjoBRXLALnkiQGt2o4KjNaT1MaBePW3dFUIONHBfeuGqM

Knowledge is Power?​

Yunkai, the Yellow City (for the colour of its bricks), is possibly the smallest and most obscure of the three slave cities. Founded in a wave of Ghiscari expansion well over five thousand years ago and built to a similar design as its sister-cities.

Lacking Meereen’s enormous strength and influence or Astapor’s reputation built on its Unsullied slave-soldiers, Yunkai’s rulers, the so-called Wise Masters, seem to compensate for this by giving themselves and their city flamboyant titles, such as the Queen of Cities (a title also claimed by Qarth). Yunkai has a good harbour but is otherwise unremarkable, few of its pyramids approaching the size of Astapor’s and none rival those of Meereen, and its reputation is built on pleasure slaves rather than soldiers like the Unsullied. That left the city vulnerable and saw the city lose its independence during the reign of Wise Master Reznak zo Rhaezn. He was left to govern the main city’s region after its fall, and his eldest son Skahaz now oversees the city proper while the youngest son Morghaz governs Yunkai’s hinterland that runs east to the mountains and south along the coast for a good hundred miles or so.

t0JSSB0ZUaTg8Jm3gwgRPjpV8RCGJYEeDJ47n9HpLRsviQGUdy5wMQklD4DUNE55_gBpIcXP8-6dPgskc3loms8SE56kh6TzORyRiGOeYkg4J_9-02yBQ5uyMjcflRhxN81hHY-ULBjuN5CP4aZ073M

The governorship of the surrounding region and the ultimate decision-making about it and the city however shifted to High Master Grazdan zo Ahlaq when he was assigned to guard the new border between Yunkai and Astapor after the latter lost some of its territory to the warring neighbour.

HoX9EWMN197oPTWIqM7KGTA_WWNQol_D2PmriThpHMjME_CmvupB9mricJo53wLbBdGkvO5_OlG2PYfXV2ee2QPBUSAlzmTlT6yuUiIgW_iyJYmceF0tRl1enbE4xPmkuKuflq4FkrdngSzDc1Ua9nQ

Power is Power​

The warring neighbour in question was not Yunkai herself, but Meereen - the largest city on Slaver’s Bay and possibly one of the largest cities in the known world, outstripped only by Volantis, Asshai, possibly Qarth and some of the cities of Yi Ti. The better part of a million people live in the city and the surrounding area. Meereen is larger than Astapor and Yunkai combined and its bricks are of many colours, giving the city a more colourful feel than its two smaller sister-cities.

Wm6O9W0V81z3CdQHpZc6stB1k6_pRpQLmkesOLS7YYL-Z8VSJpQO2A-V151Kj7-kfadktgH6G20hWOqawtpcAR7T8C8j-dPGy7vod0Omk_7BRfjGVYJ9jOHeOghyjuj-m2xk-sPKQjGfV58MS6Vhju8

Game Of Thrones (Telltale Games) - Meereen (if anyone knows the author, please contact me)​

The rulers of Meereen are known as the Great Masters, who rule from the Great Pyramid. Over 800 feet tall and one of the tallest structures in the world (taller than the Wall, rivalled by the High Tower of Oldtown and outstripped only by the Five Forts of Yi Ti), the Great Pyramid dominates the skyline of the city and the surrounding countryside for miles. The next-tallest pyramids in the city are less than half the height. Also imposing is the Temple of Graces, the centre of religion in the city and the surrounding region.

Meereen’s walls are tall, studded with towers and significant bastions. With the Dothraki Sea located just to the north, across the river, and the city being located on the frontier between Old Ghis and Valyria, it has always had a need for a strong defence. The walls have been kept in good order (unlike Astapor and Yunkai’s, which have fallen into disrepair over the years) and the city remains formidable. No outside army has taken the city since Valyria overthrew Old Ghis, and even the Dothraki seem to have been daunted by the city’s sheer size. Until very recently the Great Masters have wisely refrained from giving them cause to try to take the city, instead offering them good prices for slaves herded downriver to the city’s fleshpots.

Meereen sits on bluffs on the south side of the River Skahazadhan where it meets Slaver’s Bay. The Skahazadhan provides rapid travel eastwards towards Lhazar and the Dothraki Sea, but this can also be a weakness. During the ancient wars with Valyria, the Meereenese built immense wells to draw water from sources that could not be easily polluted by besiegers. Meereen’s hinterland extends south and east through the sandstone mountains towards the Lhazareen border. Estates can be found in these hills, although the territory is not as verdant as it once was. History records large numbers of cedar trees and olive groves studding the shores of the bay and extending into the hills, but the Valyrians burned most of these out. Farms, tended to by vast numbers of slaves, are located where the ground is fertile enough to turn a good crop, so to help feed the city. However, the land is harsh and in a prolonged siege, not able to bring in food by road or sea, Meereen would likely starve.

Meereen saw a major and rapid expansion under its previous Great master, Reznak mo Reznak, for his exploits known as the Conqueror. He subjugated Yunkai to the south and began the war between the Slaver’s Bay and the Dothraki, the first real one in centuries. He was unfortunately captured by his nemesis, the grandiose Drogo the Khal of Khals, and was tortured to death by the raging Dothraki at the very impressive age of seven-and-seventy.

swM4bF9pCeCKiuK2ldbNzHErwRR3VueDdGhnfuAU1xOjs8pAcdBXMa1J1H0887kpwb4XAuCznLmY7zkwDy_AanTuSbyRFG4DJLlT7BoLKKlaIBBKhPT7CspCqHL6JaJ05PpRCAc3Dp0XgXaRnjWxkcM

After the Conqueror’s death his son Krazdan was deemed unworthy to step into his father’s shoes and promptly relocated to Khyzai Pass, a mountainous pass linking the coast of Slaver’s Bay to the kingdom of Lhazar further inland. The Khyzai Pass has been hewn out of the sandstone mountains by the passage of the Khyzai River, a tributary of the Skahazadhan. The pass permits relatively easy travel between Meereen and central and southern Lhazar. There is a road that outflanks the mountains to the north, following the Skahazadhan more closely, but this road also passes through regions that the Dothraki raid on a fairly frequent basis. The pass is a safer and more secure route.

The man deemed worthy to follow the Conqueror is the current Great Master of Meereen and Yunkai, Bhakaz zo Loraq, now known as Tenacious for his firm rule and his aid to the victory in his predecessor’s war.

U-RaYNFziMyrubIDqTYGwNk2IiURGWZ64EmapS8uKFMlDmz-WRwYaC_uuohbG9SpuG1bj5M536WEba48eEVCWHVWIA4PYMA5rlrmaoUMspKk7k6uGrAqMLbb57hNjuDcLI1nEM-4zKvXIlEXTtG14l0

Warden of the River​

After Reznak the Conqueror was captured, his banner was unexpectedly picked up by a man who was supposed to oversee the logistics of the Conqueror’s army but in the ensuing chaos found himself among the thick of the battle. His screams of rage inspired the men around him, and with the very timely arrival of Great Master Bhakaz’s reinforcement the day was won, and the Dothraki finally abandoned the fertile lands further along the Skahazadhan river east of Meereen.

The steward that picked up the banner (named Zhezzan zo Pahl) quickly named himself the new Master of the Skahazadhan, later going even farther and calling himself a King, even donning a crown in a pompous ceremony. He also quickly married one of the captured Dothraki women named Zhavvi who turned out to be The Drogo’s own granddaughter. She later took to the teachings about the great harpy very seriously and became a Green Grace after the death of her husband.

8FjDKY8jUKejG5bQA0PECBdx8kbETGBxPi3RiGgYh5znRVbVDGumZgdfuBmYeJ7eRGbVaI0TAwEMsym9lQAmE67m58YOA7B7uNvp4QQ59P7eOHXB7H8Zxk07UGISIHAgBq85SYVQ_EqYSF4YI3aXNNI

Zhezzan’s death brought turmoil to the region. His older brother Grozlal usurped the crown from Zhezzan son, in a twist of cruel irony named Grozlal in honour of his now-usurping uncle.

gXrLIXrjWGvkDu3A3vkBNTUkAKcpjksGwx08fg1sfnX7SyGP5hAi0qazXXHESYibsErFYp2t4XxUYSoppSaCl8eKoEGo4Nku0bPnLChI1miq3pSYiAchj4PEWmiJu5v_mPppsXlXsWVu35om_kNrm_c

-NM5nSGDPnEUOUz-FsYJzMvgofMxeHUw8TpUGeYEWiz084HKLuaBRlQTIbmfkANB-rYCJ4GoE8yJVfJZNQYmvJe1LMaHNqaaH1ZTjjdPGzavGfJq1HLiYnNhCWsExhmEN2Q07pejMlLlYuX1idtSLE0

Grozlal the usurper ruled for mere four years and died from a festering wound. His son Barghaz lost his throne to his nephew, Grozlal the heir, and is currently held under constant guard in his own palace.

It is interesting to note that the usurper’s second son was given some land to call his own by his cousin and not held accountable for his father’s actions.

r3qD1m98JSmSM-vF6HGfexrD6s87wsL9bulmEB_hURgf4Wlhc6xLR5ue2hDtf2u6Tjzb_AH4XaFDqU4KW-JZDVpybreeYBJ6EmO0ofLu9cJ6YnZcl_lw7qV104jyOZIyjtfORcbS732hWQAwkM4Yv4A

The rightful Grozlal is married to Lady Lempi, a woman of very interesting background. She was born a daughter to one of the Great Fathers of Yinishar in the Bone Mountains to the east and his wife Maelerys, a woman of suspected Valyrian descent. Their first son Zhezzan, Grozlal’s heir at that time, was unfortunately and very suspiciously found dead at the age of just five years.

sspNslwCkNxbMooU_2uMQQIDNnVMXV5rk17d8pNcNxg8VdHVCW_pjc8o3-HgsVWpMaY2nBTCn79u7eAocJFn10j95uzk4fhMwB2eade-M7mqgmH0QgfssLZ6X2jMuV87kKgm-KQwqaADVA5LdxiYlf8

Grozlal’s current heir is his brother Miklaz. He governs the southern bank of the Skahazadhan river with his wife, Lady Gorgazza, granddaughter of the current Great Master of Meereen.

J65Pbi64krxmOABhPvOy-JOSOkFyv_MOM5sz47lnq3WzIOFXirjvAtlDFWTlfPDXc71WdrvwpF6jSZ0jZMcuVskyTyLGUVoyW4m2_6Mrxa0o_DzbNgjBsPw1PQ-OjvHnPBnfbnf37-GkSKpQhIlbCuA

Ozzan, the youngest of the three brothers of Skahazadhan, helps his middle brother. He is unmarried, but holds a Lhazareen girl as his bedwarmer. Curiously enough, his son by her is recognized as his official heir.

ehpjHQ544MzD4Soc9I-uH6MDNuSPWo-_-kq0zoBWE6uXbI7mnpR7Bd5qUKErUntes_it-_GL8Bpx-8a6E6_2YRBsx_IdYK3XeSJs2envnBacaflxVfQ16501kMWqyPdjzQwyh9agWZIK-PpmmTwYx3M

Going Down All the Way on the Demon Road​

While the newly-acquired lands along the Skahazadhan river are nominally independent from other slavers’ cities, new colonies along the Demon Road are under a tenacious grasp of Meereen.

The first man to lead an expedition and establish a foothold in Bhorash was Harghaz zo Pahl, kinsman to the Skahazadhan’s brothers. Unfortunately his prolonged stay and apparently the things he saw there led to his horrible demise (or maybe a tumour of the brain made him see these things in the first place). Rule of the land did not go to any of his son’s however.

7ArLEWYFcD6Q_IolXd6UxYxfu0SSIWRAgd1X9UKWNuejKiHk8DBS2Gz0WTZSCzdW8V-tdj3z8Utl3ul9iEeDl5vuErZYTFPJJUwtY_OrFI_tnxtkDaKwPhePQYG8z1MlccYU9MLwpGb-lirE49JwcLo

Instead it unexpectedly went to Harghaz’s cousin Shakhar, probably due to the fact that the man is very easy to control as he almost never leaves his chambers ever since the unexplainable death of his beloved young wife. He usually just lays down on his enormous bed and tries to eat away his endless sorrow.

AZ1w1jElG0TMgeR6t2UW7uTgovf6ubq7d7d7G2JplrI3iZt41ElRMwLK1Mo15h01DFf7ofLDwfj7A-Fls0th0XuPZLS_y_3H8Qb6gHqkc71vwT2u4VuoyUbaEkyTtFziULtaf-GEcl_fjtxGIG0i4OQ

Shakhar (for his eating habits known as the Gross) refuses to have any relations with any women, free or enslaved, and does not have any offspring. His heir is his kinsman Gazhaq (that first bewitched Harghaz’s nephew) who oversees the reconstruction of the Bhorash’s harbour. Gazhaq’s own heir is also not one of his children but his other kin, bewitched Harghaz’s youngest son Shakhar (not to be confused with Shakhar the Gross).

oiT3z_8b5U-JwQsz07YNRLSPHyCqKLU_XgLPaw8uYTQJBd80KA-oAURdKm5WnxuOCG34g2fUHCBXDjjIuzsghnz7_bgZgZVY5x7Eiaps3TV-MYjekKdcU6ybBNegF5F0UNuUmNQ3uggtR6MiFmqI65E

Another interesting development in the region is the incorporation of the fertile plains and the valley north of the Demon Road, a piece of land also seized from the Dothraki in the Conqueror’s war.

The first overseer of the region, a young man named Razdar zo Merreq, died less than a year into his new position. His second wife and the mother of his two children oversaw the land with her new husband until it was time for her son Yazzak to take the reins.

VjNsGFbrLNgTqX-qj0QXuHfZagxs0iM_CvxwhFmVktfshXfgb2mb5u2SBtSllMmzumOF5xxjMwLN3zJj7sepQsN6FKD7YJwdtvvUB5TGmBJDGPKw-7G_loT8-37BOHHUEjwqelChjyGLjwC29WWF_h0

There are rumours that deep in the valley the Meereenese found a ruined city of black stone with an old black stepped pyramid in its centre, but the sources from that region are unfortunately sparse and often unreliable.

The Red Sister​

Astapor, the Red City, is the southernmost of the three slave sister-cities. Its rooftops and many of its buildings are red in colour, derived from the crumbling old red bricks that the city was built from, giving the city its name. The air is also often heavy in red dust.

Like most cities of Ghiscari origin, its ruling class (the so-called Good Masters) lives in great stepped pyramids. The tallest in Astapor, located along the waterfront, is about 400 feet tall. Its current occupants are Good Master Haznak zo Mazlaq and his rather large family. After the death of his first wife, the daughter of one of the previous Good Masters, Haznak married his wife’s niece, who might be familiar to my dear readers that had familiarised themselves with the Chapter on The Sisters between the coasts of the North and the Vale.

0oKQUYmaz2ppobX_uCoKb9pfz_rm8z3e-Ip1HorXMnuKQJ3SL9XGW02KeuCSdFHESX3TCDiNmijwPheQXvK1aZvijGbGIsOaUKihHgg_mJEKK--RAIflO9TbVZ_ibo4ZB-W2Sa6ylanmD3o7O4G_nKs

Further down the coast is the port and the mouth of the Worm River where the current true powerhouse resided. High Master Faezdhar mo Ullhor controls all the land along the river while the Good Master of the region in reality directly controls only the city proper.

npTrMAKaJSl4hhN7uNmuTkRKnaGOPcorkD4HVDD0Wr2zsQiUt6U5tJAlscCOu-cnbZg0rjCM-84PO9S2OIOy1UW7aItjOwNE7Il11Vjsh8jCLiclpwsy-Y0PS11JlldAnk0d5sYdmlsdeGEkP-B8sYI

The city’s elite are often found taking their ease on the pleasure barges gliding up and down the river, fanned and attended by their well-fed slaves.

Elsewhere in the city are far darker sights: the fighting pits where slaves battle one another to the death for the entertainment of the rich, and the Plaza of Pride and Plaza of Punishment where slaves are put on display.

Astapor is famed as the home of the Unsullied, warrior-eunuchs trained from birth to fight and die for their owners. The Unsullied are utterly formidable in battle and a popular choice for bodyguards and household guards. Until relatively recent events, Astapor had a long-standing contract with the Free City of Qohor, which had exclusively used Unsullied as its front-line troops since defeating the Dothraki in the Battle of Qohor over three centuries ago.

Beyond the city lies its hinterland, which runs along the coast for a hundred leagues to the west and south and half that to the north. There are tall hills, more like low mountains, to the south, where the Worm River is born and flows down to the sea. Beyond these mountains lies the resurgent power of the Ghiscari Empire, which Astapor regards warily.

Sons of Harpy Come Again​

The region of Ghiscar is large, spreading for well over 300 miles to the north and east to the sandstone mountains, as well as along the coast of the Summer Sea.

This was the old heartland and core territory of the Old Ghiscari Empire, its breadbasket and the location of its major cities. Almost five thousand years ago, Valyria devastated this region with dragonfire on an epic scale. So complete was the destruction that most of the Ghiscari towns and villages that once dotted this landscape have simply vanished, with nothing left standing above ground to indicate they were ever there.

An exception are the ruins of Old Ghis, the ancient capital of the Ghiscari Empire. Once one of the greatest cities in the world, Old Ghis spread for miles along the coast of the Summer Sea, along a fine harbour and sheltered from the storms and harsher tides of the open sea by a series of offshore islands. The city was obliterated at the end of the Fifth Ghiscari War, the Valyrians destroying the city in detail and salting the earth. However, the tallest buildings of Old Ghis, the pyramids, were too difficult to destroy altogether and so were simply abandoned. Over millennia they have started to fall back into the ground, but the ruined Great Pyramid of Old Ghis (the inspiration for the near-identical Great Pyramid of Meereen, some 700 miles to the north) still stands, over 800 feet tall.

Located just over a hundred miles off the coast, the island of Ghaen was a Ghiscari stronghold for millennia, and latterly an annexed Valyrian colony. The island’s geography protected it during the Doom of Valyria, preventing its population from being wiped out like the Isle of Cedars. Subsequent to the Doom, the people of Ghaen broke away from Valyrian control and declared themselves the true heirs of Old Ghis, the sons of the harpy come again.

The city of New Ghis rose on an island off the coast of Ghaen. Smaller than Astapor, Yunkai or Meereen, but far newer and more dynamic, New Ghis has established itself as a vital waystop and trading centre.

The city is strategically located on the main sealanes leading west to new Valyria, the Free Cities, Summer Isles and Westeros, north to Slaver’s Bay and east to Qarth and the Jade Sea. A boom town, New Ghis has increased in size, power and population quite remarkably in the last four centuries. Its location renders it vulnerable to attack by corsairs out of the Basilisk Isles to the south, but the Ghiscari have struck both alliances with the pirates (some say paying them off to seek prey elsewhere) and also trained their own formidable military, spearheaded by the Iron Legions, to defend themselves. The power of New Ghis has spread to the mainland nearby, the territory of old Ghiscar, and continues to grow, to the disquiet of Astapor to the north.

The current King of New Ghis is Ozdhan zo Grazdan, a great swordsman in his younger days and even now, despite being enormously fat and at the age of sixty, still a very formidable opponent (some say his prowess is due to his meddlings with the arcane, but the truth of the claims is yet to be proven). He is married to the sister of the two first kings of Skahazadhan.

B-p5OE3gQv7U3m90-e4MFG6RB0XaG0iKH9wGwk7FRLb9Dm2elnkfCQ4q1YFMiiG2D_3Dzn5bhbuIaeWE_aTS-n1-nqfiRxXKQd9knMezkeQBD1vwe2CVj3L351KGl7m5eXYClaQmqAdtNJw-Ek_FX0k

The pairs first son and Ozdhan’s heir apparent, Ozzan, is married to Immissi, called the Princess due to her being the granddaughter of The Drogo of the Dothraki. She was sent to Ghis by Ozzan’s uncle Zhezzan, who was married to Immissi’s sister Zhavvi. Immissi also learned and embraced the ways of her captors and is highly regarded at the court of New Ghis.

c7yds7XMqvVpd9OxbU079YKNmzkEBNSe_MkrQCIcMb9T6ik3_KKFh3slvoxJy9uURLRpECdIQoRQFzGbFzeCxMqm0o-CEe9rV4s03Z1sVaU6HFig2zTypqYoT_gXIxN3pX8oLWJP3MC6_ciKkE4at3Q

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Let's hope that the new Valyrians can defeat the new Ghiscari.

It's interesting that Dany didn't conquer the cities of Slaver's Bay. What bookmark did you start in? The beginning of AGOT one?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Honestly I don't know if this is headache-inducingly impressive or impressively headache inducing. Its awesome!
The answer is yes XD And thank you! Aaand welcome aboard! :)

Let's hope that the new Valyrians can defeat the new Ghiscari.
That was and is the plan eventually. I'm just anxious to get engage there before I get the others (or they get me)
It's interesting that Dany didn't conquer the cities of Slaver's Bay. What bookmark did you start in? The beginning of AGOT one?
None, I went back to the year Rickon was born (295AC) and started there. I wanted all the opportunities without any of the consequences XD

• 1Love
Reactions:
Lambs to the Slaughter

Lambs to the Slaughter​

Located to the east of the sandstone mountains and south of the Skahazadhan is the small kingdom of Lhazar. The bulk of this kingdom lies in a triangular region, its boundaries marked by three cities: Hesh in the north-west, Kosrak in the north-east and Lhazosh, the nation’s nominal capital, in the south.

Lhazareen villages and towns dot this landscape, becoming rarer in the east as the relatively fertile and green lands around the river give way to the parched desert known as the Red Waste.

The nation is noted for its non-warlike, non-expansionist nature. The Lhazareen are followers of a deity known as the Great Shepherd, whose priests and priestesses teach that “all men are one flock” and urge their followers to trust the winds of fate and do no violence. The people of Lhazar are peaceful, placid and value good, honest trade with its neighbours. Many of those neighbours – the Meereenese to the west, the Ghiscari to the south-west and the Qartheen to the south – are unreliable and take advantage of the Lhazareen pliability at almost every turn.

Some Lhazareen reject these teachings and do take up the ways of fighting for themselves and their people. The most recent and the most prominent of these recusants was the first Queen of the Lhazareen, Mirri the Careless.

Once a kind-hearted and cheerful woman, she had to witness one of the most horrendous slave raids of her time. It was committed on the orders of the Qartheen ruler of Port Yghos, Lady Chataya Qar Maath (to her people known as the Wise, but to the Lhazareen known as the Cruel). Not only a simple slave raid, it was also a retaliation for the death of the Lady Chataya’s niece and predecessor, Lady Tagganaria Qar Maath, who in her simplemindedness decided to conduct and lead her own raid years prior and died at the age of six-and-ten by the hand of Mirri.

QkqF3Y6b9rqqRTjy33pgM6PJJKyCR4AnRVoNKhngoOcaWn9oyDzfFhWWigzKkd6x2qEj-1q3wzQlQ5BeisJz8inGC8hPcrqKs1bQsyLfuNWrXgivwwu-WxuVtWSHxNQQVBsLX1jDRWV8MeqQxZRrPJM

First they got Mirri’s beloved husband, but as he was already an old man, they hanged him from the tallest tower of Lhazosh. Her fistborn son and two of her daughters were captured and taken back to be made into slaves. Mirri’s third daughter Umay, a girl of just four-and-ten, completely broke under torture almost immediately upon arrival to the dungeons and died in a state of bliss, her mind gone by the end of it. The boy, Ilik, was gelded, and when he still refused to work for his new masters, his head was put under an elephant’s foot just a year after his enslavement. The second daughter, beautiful Jhigi, endured for almost four years before she too succumbed to the unimaginable suffering inflicted upon her.

yT6ItuaZ-wVoIMKgGIUYnLOp_6HPDc8OlfJCkaxs1OsqCmpe9OWSRr2xULco8tSsKAlnNTZ-U5VZ7wiqGpwdNMU8IA77UsMQfNEFfWrzi32x_QBawhbeWReVuZXkti7U9MDpymbQc_P3SJsNkdEgYAE

Mirri’s heart was broken and turned into stone. She relentlessly united her people into one nation and even managed to convince most of them that their Great Shepherd, while definitely peaceful and definitely against violence, did not mean that they cannot fight back when violence is done to them. She unfortunately died ten years into her reign under somewhat suspicious circumstances.

UuCIZwE2INNAivkmZVfG90m5L2T95GuR616NnJYHBbYDKmIULNcgVOupk_ogxkEM_xAMCam-j65rc576A3XV9LLZdZFGzwJSicuaS8zSoQBxzu0XU6XK_IwzdGiJnGGCstkohLSHeBa37rCLeBhdOB4

Her youngest son Arslan, almost a copy of his father, succeeded his mother as the King of Lhazar as is the Lhazareen custom. He went even further with his interpretation of the teachings and is currently locked in an active state of open war with the New Gris, a very powerful player in the region. His wife Ipekeh does not adhere to her husband’s views on the Lamb God’s teachings and it had clearly made a rift in the pair.

Uza_tjNVCPyYedTIFjyW0kBWmxfPAA_c32kDHd-oEEcino4ahLabUJitxZvJDG2H8vufFlLitw1Ioxe7uEtzezgOsMeSZP5EwPKIKX-kjTVun_1IeqUYVTn0C7BNAp57g6Oyia-7GJSHkUBShdKS26I

King Arslan’s older brother Rakharo however and Rakharo’s wife Patiyera both support their liege in his endeavour.

NFbsSqXkB2frxgEmJL-pDdFYWLExFOjEYK_wxawnVOSGuUQrlnp1LtYcz5EPcEGBoxi85nY8xGV7aoVIk7gWS_jzmETXYWnFsJn2P7oeR_G01KDtWr_1hgEeg0yH9-sm7CN43xBQ5iodjrlYsZz5BwY

As a side note, an odd woman reportedly leads a small Lhazareen community in a small village of Atakosh. Lady Gulayi, while being a follower of the older, more non-violent teachings of the Lamb God, effectively holds her own husband as a breeding slave. Haggo, the husband in question, for his cowardice was left behind by his fellow Dothraki during one of their raids on this land during Gulayi’s youth. She essentially enslaved him, eventually using him as fresh blood to cover up for the absence of men made by that same slave raid.

ngwaDB4pPS7ziwLvFFhjKFnYSNjW82nwEWbc23xEm2Momi8ZNoUqPZkpkHTPX18fJuTZ11gQOK5xH6wTwmBQdUqrlCm_Faa2c9SBvL1X5QM4rS0wTwhfbPtNTQm4OHPv-kNK1uQ88ne5DqApM8D79Jg

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The warring neighbour in question was not Yunkai herself, but Meereen - the largest city on Slaver’s Bay and possibly one of the largest cities in the known world, outstripped only by Volantis, Asshai, possibly Qarth
Asshai is larger than Mereen?

I also learned about New Ghis for the first time, must have missed it in the books, inetresting that there is a ''4th'' slaver city and I think the Legionnares are cool.

That Lhazareen artwork is awesome, went ahead and searched for the image and aparently its from Georgia, really cool landscape imo.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Asshai is larger than Mereen?
I was surprised to know it as well actually, but every article I found says that Asshai is absolutely ginormous beyond any logic or reason.
I also learned about New Ghis for the first time, must have missed it in the books, inetresting that there is a ''4th'' slaver city and I think the Legionnares are cool.
I very vaguely remember it from the sourse, but in some of my games they are beasts and often conquer the whole bay. Would very much like to see them burn and salted again in the books, but at this point I think I'll have to do it myself XD
That Lhazareen artwork is awesome, went ahead and searched for the image and aparently its from Georgia, really cool landscape imo.
Yes, it is! Its the village of Mutso. Thank you for this catch, I forgot to add a link (now remedied). Admittedly it's a bit too "mountaney" for Lhazosh on the map, but I just really liked the idea of fictional shepherd people living like historical shepherd people (the fact that Mutso people were christian fighters and the Lhazareen, a standin for the early christians, started to become more agressive is just an added layer of unintentional irony).

Reactions:
The Lhazareen are finally back. Will they end up attacking the Dothraki? That would be interesting...

And was Mirri maz Dhur (probably spelling that wrong)? The lady who cursed Dany in canon?

• 1Like
Reactions: