• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CHAPTER I: Wolves of Summer

SongOfHorrors57

Corporal
2 Badges
Feb 21, 2023
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
Hi everyone.

I'm new here on the forums and this will be my first AAR. Years back, I wrote this for my friend, a fanatic of GoT and someone who just couldn't get into CK2. As I played, I would actively report what was happening to her by text, or in person, so that I could get advice on this world I was unfamiliar with. Oh yeah, I almost forgot: this was my first intro to GoT and I still haven't really watched the show or read the books (yet). All of my knowledge of GoT is from playing this game and reading the wikis that would pop up. The rest was from her (so blame her if I get anything wrong lol jk)

I began my playthrough at the earliest bookmark (because that would be most interesting to both of us) and I played as Torrhen Stark, a character I would come to legitimately find endearing and memorable to me personally because of this experience. As such, this AAR will revolve around the day-to-day in Winterfell, and only glimpses of the world beyond. Fair warning, not much happened.

This is a compilation of those reports, before the save tragically went kaput and was unrecoverable. It was the second save that this happened and I stopped playing the game altogether, a little devastated. Now I await CK3 AGOT to ruin my life :D

That's it. That's all there is to know. I will be posting these reports in chunks for readability. Overall, it won't be long. This one is about a number of key players at the beginning of Torrhen's reign.

Thank you. Please provide me your feedback!

Chapter I
Wolves of Summer

House Stark.jpg

13th First Moon, 7996

The Wolves of Summer

Once there were five: Brandon, after his ancestor, whose honest mind is for duty and just soul is for battle, after his father. Jorah, after his grandfather, who, while temperance more suited to the latter, prefers instead the spider’s web to the warrior’s field. Donnor, handy with a sword and a commanding trickster, whose resolve and fury are met only by arrogance and envy. Lyarra, whose bright mind sparked curiosity but also breeds vanity. Finally, Rickon, a year younger, who has yet to show no other merit, except the poisonous blossoms of wrath, zealotry, and ambition.0

Their father, whose justice and bravery were forged through embers of humility and authority, has been bred in himself a true king, through and through. From the edges of the Shivering Sea to the bogs of Greywater Watch, they have reigned over the harsh, unforgiving North for more than eight thousand years unchallenged. Now Torrhen, the first of his name, with his wife Sansa of House Dustin by his side, must do the same after his father’s passing. With word of a Targaryen child making a name amongst the Essosi in their endless bloodshed by means of a dragon, he must ensure his children may carry forward in a future he feels uncertain.

Once there were five. Five cubs of the clan of the wolf. Five heirs of the King in the North. Five children of House Stark.

2nd Second Moon, 7996

The Wise One’s Militants

faith militant.jpg

The High Septon, known as the Wise One, have restored the Faith Militant, the two military arms of the Faith of the Seven. These two branches, the Warrior’s Way, whose ranks are filled by knights of nobility, and the Poor Fellows, flocked by the peasantry and women, were called in defence of the faith. Now, this “Wise One” has them at his will once more, making the Faith a force to be reckoned with.

“The North is not party to the goings on of the Southron religion, as long as it stays in the south.”

9th Second Moon, 7996

Finding Friends

Lord WIllem Manderly .jpg

Torrhen understands that, while many in the realm view him with respect, he has no particular friends to speak of. He must find one that he can make confidant this early in his reign. He eyes in particular his uncle, Willem Manderly, one who they call “the Careless” for some reason, who lords over all of the high lordship of White Harbor and who has recently made public his oath of undying loyalty to House Stark after Torrhen’s ascension, in line with Manderly tradition.

“While only ten or so years older, Willem was like a father to me. More so than even my own. Might as well make ourselves friends.”

Brandon Snow.jpg

Another is Brandon Snow, his bastard half-brother. A formidable fighter rivalled only by himself, Brandon is on good terms with Torrhen, choosing instead to delve into mysticism rather than politics. Brandon respects Torrhen and, regardless of their blood relations, Torrhen respects Brandon all the same.

“He’s my brother, Stark or not.”

Torrhen has decided to hold a grand feast for the lords and ladies of the realm, to mark the beginning of his reign, of which he would take the opportunity to get to know these two further.

21st Second Moon, 7996

The Masters of Winterfell

Lord Cley Knott.jpg

While preparing for the celebratory feast, Torrhen has gotten to speak with the Hand of the King, Lord Cley “the Knott” Knott of Arrendell. Cley the Knott is a family man, who seems to have a generally positive opinion of Torrhen. Although the hill clansman can be rude at times, he is a just man, which is something Torrhen appreciates. While Torrhen is no budding flower himself in the goings on of Winterfell, it was good to have a man almost twice his senior teaches him the ropes, such as keeping his councillors contented or better yet happy.

“I do not question their loyalty. In fact, I don’t have the luxury to, but they are also merely content of their current predicament. Maybe because I am untested? Maybe that they only ever knew me as Torrhen, Edwyn the Spring King’s son. Not Torrhen, a king in his own right.”

Crowl and Bolton.png

This applies to Lord Cley as well. Among them, Lord Rodwell Bolton of the Dreadfort, the Master-at-Arms, seems to have a slightly better opinion of Torrhen, perhaps due to his martial skills, but, more troublingly, Lord Orell Crowl of Deepdown, the Master of Whisperers, have a not-so-slightly worse opinion of the new king, highly likely due to him being a Skagosi of the Shivering Sea while Torrhen is a full-blooded Northman. The Skagosi and Northmen have always eyed each other with distrust, as the two have largely different customs and way of life.

Torrhen plans to build bridges, or at least mend them, during the feast.

24th Second Moon, 7996

Torrhen’s Inner Circle

In order to further strengthen his rule, Torrhen decided to name Lord Willem Manderly of White Harbor his regent, parting from the usual custom of having the Hand of the King hold such duties.

“I have my trust in Willem. For now. Little offense to Lord Cley.”

He also appointed Brandon Snow the Captain of the Household Guard and Jorah, his own son, as Cupbearer; people he feels can truly watch his back and keep the family safe.

He plans to doll out more ceremonial titles out to his lords during the feasting, once he knows who to keep close and who to keep closer.

5th Third Moon, 7996

Indisposed

While there were many who returned with warm acceptance of Torrhen’s invitation, a great many were also “indisposed” and has declined the invitation, including many a key player, such as the Hand of the King himself, Lord Cley Knott of Arrendell, and Lord Rodwell Bolton of the Dreadfort, the Master-at-Arms, among others. Torrhen leaves the steward of Winterfell the unenviable duty of handling these invitations.

17th Third Moon, 7996

The Youngest of the Five

Youngest Starks.png

Torrhen decided to entrust Lord Rodwell Bolton of the Dreadfort with Rickon’s education. He might not be quick on his feet but he is most certainly quick with a sword. Torrhen could see that Rickon has a natural aptitude with fighting and interests in martial pursuits, something that runs through Torrhen’s children. Perhaps such training can put his quick temper to good use.

Lyarra on the other hand will be educated by none other than Maester Lancel, in bookkeeping and administration. While she protests that such things are dull and “insignificant” to her, her mother Sansa believes it could be of great value to someone of her intellect.

Torrhen lamented:

“I hope they grow out of it. I hope they learn that we do not do things just because it feels good. The sooner the better.”

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on starting your first AAR. Nice to see an ‘old fashioned’ narrative form and I like the fact you have mined a previous game write up to repackage here. Nothing wrong with that at all! Off to a good start.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thanks! I feel a little intimidated by all the amazing stuff on here I've been reading. Like, seriously intimidated haha. But its nice to finally find other people that do this sort of thing. I thought I was crazy but turns out, AARs exists.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
You should never feel intimidated and you will see AARLand here is a very welcoming, supportive and constructive forum ... unlike some places on the internet!! :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
CHAPTER II: Heartbreaker
Chapter II
Heartbreaker

20th Third Moon, 7996

Of Storm, Iron, and Rock.

Argilac the Arrogant.jpg

Torrhen received word from Lord Cley Knott of Arrendell, the Hand of the King, that Storm King Argillac the Arrogant, ruler of the Stormlands, have died on the 5th of the First Moon, 7996, at the young age of 48. It was supposedly a sudden death. As such, the Stormlander throne was passed on to his daughter, Argella Durrandon, now Storm Queen of the Stormlands.

Argella, Argilac, Loren.png

Storm Queen Argella has more recently embroiled herself into war with the Iron Islands, which controlled territory from Blackwater Bay all the way to The Twins, right here at Torrhen’s doorstep, over Stokeworth bordering Blackwater Bay, de jure part of the Stormlands under their possession. For her, at eighteen years of age, to challenge the Iron Isles, perhaps the most powerful kingdom in all of the land, was daring to say the least. But not only the Storm Queen that have brought herself into conflict. Apparently, Harren the Black, infamous king of those isles, had declared war against the Rock, over Byford on the banks of the Upper Blackwater river, a de jure province of the Iron Isles now under their rule.

Iron King Harren the Black, Storm Queen Argella, and King Loren Lannister of the Rock are all currently rallying their bannermen, choosing to lead them personally. Whether or not Argella and Loren are conspiring alongside each other against their greater foe is uncertain.

These provinces in contest presumably fell during the Ironborn conquest of the Riverlands by the Iron King’s grandfather, Harwyn Hardhand.

“No love lost if these kingdoms wish to play games with the Iron King. No one’s fond of that cruel man anyway.”

6th Fourth Moon, 7996

Dragons? What Dragons?

Ageon, Visenya, Rhaenys.png

The politics of Southrons may not have interested him but instead Torrhen looked east, towards Dragonstone. Everyone knows of the Targaryens that have made the small isle their own, long before the Doom of Valyria even occurred. With that, they are the only surviving family of the so-called “dragonlords”. Now, as the remnants of the fallen Valyrian Freehold tear itself apart, the Targaryen children, namely Aegon, Visenya, and Rhaenys, are tipping the scales of war in their favour simply by use of their flying beasts.

Torrhen rather not know, nor can he even fathom, the intricate mess that is occurring in Essos but one thing is certain:

“If the Targaryens can do such things all the way across the Narrow Sea, they can definitely do such things here. Others may not look on these Valyrians in Dragonstone with suspicion but I do. It’s not ‘if’ but ‘when’.”

19th Sixth Moon, 7996

A Feast in Snow

feast.jpg

The guests for Torrhen’s feast have finally arrived in Winterfell. The private feast itself was traditionally modest and intimate, not meant for show.

Torrhen was invited to play a game of cyvasse by Master Dywen Cassel of King’s Course, although he lost.

Before long, it was over. Unfortunately, Torrhen never got much chance to do as he planned.

However, he did grant out titles, the most important of which was the granting of the Command of Moat Cailin to his second son, Jorah. He also doled out the honorary titles of Keeper of the Swans, Master of Horse, Master of the Hunt, and High Almoner to a number of men to keep them happy and in line.

19th Seventh Moon, 7996

A Wolf and Bear by the Ice

Wolf and Bear.jpg

Torrhen, to secure the lineage of House Stark, travelled to Deepwood and meets Lord Edrick Mormont of Bear Island. By the coast overlooking the Bay of Ice, at a village outside of Frosty Point, the two spoke in private at a fishing lodge belonging to Master Theo, the town’s mayor. Torrhen humbly asked for the betrothal of his son, Brandon Stark, to his daughter, Margaret Mormont. Lord Edrick was elated by the proposal:

“There is no greater honour for a lord in serving his king than to give his daughter’s hand in marriage to his son”

Since Margeret is still a child, the marriage shall be cemented when she comes of age.

26th Seventh Moon, 7996

My Gift to You, Sharra

Ronnel II, Sharra.png

After the betrothal of his firstborn is secured, Torrhen eccentrically looked south to the rest of Westeros for a suitable husband for her one and only daughter, Lyarra Stark, disappointing the fair bachelors of across the realm. From the Westerlands to Dorne, his crows travelled far and wide. His aloofness took him by surprise however that young King Ronnel II of the Mountain and Vale, of House Arryn, is a bachelor. After cordial correspondence with his mother, Queen Dowager Sharra Arryn, she expresses interest in the proposal, yet humbly warn of the political concerns that may result from such a union:

“A Stark and an Arryn? Together? Perhaps. There could be nothing more beautiful, but even roses have thorns, Torrhen”

Torrhen, in order to prove the seriousness of his intentions, sent a massive bounty. An unprecedented caravan of gold, silver, and jewels, draped with fine hides of bear and stag, hail from Winterfell to the Eyrie. The Queen Dowager was surprised the North even had such treasures but unfortunately, with all due respect to the North and their proud king, she had to refuse. The outcome would simply be too unpredictable, and may even spiral the realms out of balance.

Torrhen, while somewhat offended by the outcome, understood what Sharra meant. In fact, the two of them found each other relatable and had forged a bittersweet friendship. Deep down, Torrhen wishes to continue strengthening this unlikely relationship between the Arryns and Starks. Perhaps one day, Lyarra may be wedded to Ronnel but even if not, their bonds will remain strong.

29th Seventh Moon, 7996

Bran the Heartbreaker

Brandon.jpg

Suddenly, Brandon stormed into Torrhen’s chamber and announced that he will not marry Margaret Mormont. He is supposedly concerned by how young she is compared to him. Torrhen clarifies to him that he will only be marrying Margaret after she is of age, not right away. Torrhen, befuddled by his son’s judgement, rebuked:

“I have promised Lord Mormont that I will honour the proposal. That you will marry her daughter. We gave him our word. I gave him my word.”

Brandon however seemed to have made up his mind and broken off the betrothal himself, by crow.

Sansa, Brandon’s mother, slyly remarked:

“You prayed your son to be honest but I guess not to you. If you can’t respect him now, how will anyone respect him later?”

Torrhen warned Sansa to stay out of this and not to defend their son’s deplorable actions.

Immediately, Torrhen beckoned the realm for a new candidate, now that House Stark has embarrassed itself. Luckily, a lady by the name of Lia of House Glenmore, a minor house that rules over Rillwater Crossing, was a maiden looking for a suitor. As the message arrived from Winterfell that King Torrhen wished to have her hand in marriage to his firstborn son, Brandon Stark, her father, Lord Osbert Glenmore of Rillwater Crossing, was stunned.

Lia Glenmore.jpg

Lia Glenmore is a shy young woman but she has shown to be naturally talented in the art of diplomacy, and has been educated for it as well. Justiciar in Lord Glenmore’s court, Lia is apparently known to be a charitable woman among the smallfolk in Rillwater Crossing, unlike his father. Lord Osbert agrees to the terms and Lia Glenmore and Brandon Stark are to be wed.

Without as much as another word, he broke it off again, now after the expenses for the marriage has begun to be paid, this time simply “on account of her appearance”, which was actually not at all unpleasant by any standard. Torrhen was losing his patience.

“So, you refused to marry Margaret because she was young. Now, you refuse to consider the Glenmore girl because she isn’t easy on the eyes? What else will you do to sully our name? What game are you playing, boy?”

Now, Torrhen had humiliated two houses, not including his own, but it is especially humiliating for Lia. She had to leave her home of Rillwater Crossing, and her esteemed appointment as their justiciar. To simply send her back home not long after would be disgraceful to her.

Jorah and Donnor.png

At first, Torrhen approached Jorah, his second son and Master of Moat Cailin, but apparently, while commanding the fortifications there he decided to search for a spouse himself and marry in a small, private wedding, as was his right as master. While it surprised Torrhen terribly that he was not informed, he felt such disappointments are nothing compared to what have conspired so far.

Finally, before shifting his focus back to Brandon, Torrhen approached Donnor, his third son still residing in Winterfell, on marrying Lia. While he rather stayed a bachelor, he showed obedience and accepts the proposal.

12th Eight Moon, 7996

Master and Assassin – Part I

Orell Crowl on Assassination.jpg

While dealing with the marriage crisis of Brandon, Torrhen was approached by Lord Orell Crowl of Deepdown, his spymaster. In private, he divulged that he has strong suspicions on a murder plot against Jorah Stark. He is confident enough now to implicate Lord Rodwell Bolton of the Dreadfort, the Master-at-Arms, as its lead.

Immediately, Torrhen ordered for members of his household guard to retrieve Rickon from the castle study and be brought to his chambers, as he was entrusted to Lord Rodwell for his education. Torrhen then orders Brandon Snow, the Captain of the Household Guard and his half-brother, to pay the dear Bolton, currently training Winterfell’s commanders nearby, a visit.

14th Eight Moon, 7996

Love I Never Asked For– Part I

Prince Donnor of House Stark and Lia of House Glenmore is to be wedded. Along with this occasion, Torrhen has chosen to appoint him a Commander of the North, alongside his two older brothers. He will be the youngest amongst them all.

Torrhen has chosen to decline asking for a dowry from the bride’s family.

There is still threat that Lord Rodwell Bolton of the Dreadfort’s conspirators, whoever they may be, might still act and the wedding presents ample opportunity. While preparations are underway, few however realize of the treacherous plot of Lord Rodwell and Torrhen would like to keep it that way. He stalls the preparations, at least until Captain Snow returns.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
his spymaster. In private, he divulged that he has strong suspicions on a murder plot against Jorah Stark. He is confident enough now to implicate Lord Rodwell Bolton of the Dreadfort, the Master-at-Arms, as its lead.
A dastardly plot! Suspense as we wonder whether the team sent to arrest the treacherous master at arms will succeed. Will it be war if he gets away?

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
A Stark AAR before the conquest? Interesting...

Wow, Brandon's arrogant? Why wasn't he disinherited again?

Were the Targaryens conducting an Essos campaign? Who were they attacking?

Welcome to AARland!

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thanks!

Brandon's arrogance is undercut by his many virtues. On the issue of marriage is the only instance he was rebellious. Also, I don't remember who the Targaryens were attacking, only that they were heading into Essos rather than into Westeros, so the Conquest didn't happen (yet).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Whaaat? A new AGOT AAR? This one about the Starks? And it's before the Conquest? Yes, please!
And welcome to the forum!

Thanks! Man, now I really wish this one's longer. Don't keep your hopes up, it will end too soon.

I'm still a little salty that CK3 AGOT won't have daddy Torrhen's bookmark. :(

Huge fan of your work, btw. Simply mindblowing!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks! Man, now I really wish this one's longer. Don't keep your hopes up, it will end too soon.
Don't be so sure, back in April 2021 mine was supposed to be a quick and brief overview to tie some loose ends for my narrative AAR XD But even if yours is brief, it's still entertaining and interesting. We're here for the action and fun, both for the readers and for the authors, so write freely and we'll tag along :)
I'm still a little salty that CK3 AGOT won't have daddy Torrhen's bookmark
I agree, more "BC" bookmarks would be nice.
Huge fan of your work, btw. Simply mindblowing!
Thank you! It's so nice to know my little obsession brings joy to others! ^_^

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Always nice to see another ck2 agot aar, welcome to the forums!

The minute I saw Lord Bolton had been entrusted with both the position of Master-at-Arms and was given a Stark Princeling, I knew it would not end well.......lets hope Brandon Snow can extract him from the Dreadfort before the onset of civil war.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions: