The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Long and Dark Night, Part 7

The Persian border

Slowly, Alexandra stirred awake, still clutching the Walkman. She gathered her senses just in time to hear a shot ring out and see her mother fall to the ground, blood splattering on the rubble behind her.

“No!” she said.

But there was nothing she could do but watch Josh’s squad walk away, completely unharmed by the collapse. Kurt walked over to Theodor and saluted.

“Sir!” he said. “We’ve killed Angela Hansen.”

“Good,” Theodor said, “Well, I'd say that was a nearly flawless operation. Check the car for any survivors and kill everyone except Thea. I will dock your pay if Thea is dead.”

“Understood!” Kurt said.

They slowly approached the car. Alexandra took note of her surroundings. The Impala was completely totaled, with its interior a crumpled mess, the windows completely shattered, and the engine on fire, but she had escaped with only some light bruises and a ringing in her ears which slightly disoriented her. In the back, Thea stirred awake. Her left arm was bent at an unnatural angle; it was broken. Her face was also bleeding in many places from where the shattered glass cut her, but she was otherwise fine. Alex was barely conscious and bleeding profusely from his stomach, while Magnus was completely unconscious.

“Help me,” Alexandra said.

Thea understood their predicament immediately. With some difficulty, they opened their doors and climbed out of the car. Alexandra pulled Magnus out. Thea found it difficult to help Alex out with only one usable arm. Fully waking up, Alex groaned and clutched his stomach.

“Ow…” he said. “I think I broke a rib.”

“Please cooperate, Alex,” Thea said, “This is hard enough as it is.”

“I know, I know,” Alex said.

Just as they pulled Alex out of the car, Alexandra heard the clicking of rifles behind her.

“Not so fast,” Theodor said.

Alexandra turned around and saw Josh, Kurt, and Gustav flanking Theodor, surrounding them. She glared angrily at Theodor.

“You killed my mother!” she said.

“Yeah, so what?” Theodor said, causally shrugging. “These days I kill plenty of people. It’s no big deal. And for the record, that was Josh, not me.”

Josh casually waved. “Hey. I killed your parents, Alex. The noise your dad made when I hung him outside his own office…music to my ears. And your mom? Let’s just say, her sweet motorcycle is mine now…”

“YOU SON OF A B—” Alex lunged at Josh, but Thea and Alexandra held him back.

“You should’ve died in that drone strike,” Theodor said, “That would have been most poetic. To be killed by something you worked on.”

“Hiring me, supporting my work, I see now it was all a lie,” Alex said, “All of it! You were just using me!”

“Yes, yes it was,” Theodor said, “You were useful to me, and when you weren’t, I let you go. The most difficult part was watching my dear sister traipse around with a Jewish equalist streetrat like you! That is all over now! Argus! Execute these traitors!”

“Theo, stop!” Thea shouted.

The soldiers hesitated, and Theodor lowered his gun to look at Thea, whose eyes were full of fury and anger.

“Why, Theo?!” she demanded. “Why the hell are you doing all this? All this suffering? This senseless slaughter? When will this madness stop?”

Theodor sighed. “Look, Thea. I wanted to keep you out of this for as long as I could. I never meant to harm you. Only bring you home safe. But you know the truth of the world now. The truth we in the committee have uncovered these last few years.”

He jabbed a finger at Alex and Alexandra. “These people, these equalists…they took away our parents all those years ago. They’ve ruined the world! But with Elias Anhorn, we can fix it. We can build a perfect world together. We can help people like us everywhere! We can restore the Tesla name to what it once was! Put the equalists in their place!”

He held out his gun to Thea. “Join me, sister. As it was always meant to be. The Tesla family, united again to make its mark on the world.”

Thea just stared ahead, her eyes glistening with tears. She slowly moved towards Theodor, looking at the gun with an expression that looked equally as much fear as anger. Her bloodied hand still trembling, she slowly took the gun with her good arm and loaded it.

“Good, good,” Theodor said, “You’ve finally understood your destiny. Your purpose. Now do what must be done.”

“Yes…” Thea said, closing her eyes and looking away. “Do what must be done.”

She raised the gun and fired once. A shot rang out, echoing across the forest. Theodor looked down and saw blood running out of his stomach.

“What…what?!” he said.

“Did you really take me for a fool?!” Thea said. “Why the hell would I ever go back to you? You’re so egotistical to think you’re at the center of my world. I would never betray Alex! Not after what you did! Especially not now!”

“I’m your family!” Theodor said. “He is nothing!”

“You’re not my family, not anymore,” Thea said, “I love him as much as I hate you, Theo. He’s my family now! So you and your destiny can go to hell!”

She tried firing again, but Josh quickly pistol-whipped her, knocking the gun out of her hand. He and the other soldiers raised their rifles and aimed at the three of them.

“That’s it!” Theodor said, limping away. “No more Herr Nice Guy. I gave you a chance at redemption, but you wasted it. You should’ve aimed for the head! Execute them all! Thea included! She is no sister of mine!”

Alexandra closed her eyes, preparing for the end. Then she heard the sound of metal whizzing through the air and thunking into something.

“What?!” Kurt said.

Alexandra opened her eyes. A metal cable with a blade at its end had embedded itself through Josh’s rifle. A second later, and the cable retracted, tearing the gun out of Josh’s hands and tossing it several feet through the air into the hands of an old white-haired woman in combat fatigues. The woman quickly tossed the rifle aside after noticing its biometric lock, and the cable retracted into a gauntlet on her right wrist.

“You,” Theodor said, “What are you doing here?”

Several dozen soldiers wearing the insignia of the Central Asian Confederation and the Persian lion emerged from the trees, guns aimed at Argus.

“Sorry I’m late,” the woman said, “But you are trespassing on sovereign Persian territory.”

“You’re mistaken,” Theodor said, “The border is a hundred feet behind you!”

“So the Reich claims,” the woman said, “As far as the UN is concerned, the border is at the exit of that tunnel.”

“The UN has no jurisdiction over us!” Theodor said. “The only law that matters is ours!”

“Face it,” the woman said, “You’re outnumbered. If you don’t withdraw to the Reich within the next hour, we will consider it an act of war.”

“As if Perfidious Persia has ever won a war against us!” Theodor said. “But fine. As a Roman, I concede with honor and dignity. Come on, boys, we move out for the pass!”

The Argus soldiers holstered their rifles and marched away. Josh stole one last glare at the woman who had disarmed him.

“This isn’t over,” he said, “I’ll get even!”

He walked away with the others. Alexandra continued standing there, staring at the spot where Angela’s body still lay. The old woman walked over to her, accompanied by some medics who began treating their wounds. Two soldiers approached Angela’s body and carefully lifted her onto a stretcher.

“I’m so sorry for your loss,” the woman said, “I should’ve gotten here sooner. Then your mother would still be alive.”

Alexandra couldn’t do anything but slowly cry.

“My deepest condolences,” the woman said, “But don’t worry, you’re safe now.”

“At what cost, though?” Alexandra said. “Am I really?”

“It’ll be difficult at first,” the woman said, “Believe me, I know.”

“Yes, auntie, I know,” Alexandra said.

Magnus had regained consciousness at that moment, and he was immediately confused.

“Wait, auntie?” he said.

“Yeah?” Alexandra said.

“Wait a minute,” Magnus said, “You call her your auntie?!”

“Why wouldn’t she?” the woman said. “I was friends with her mother.”

“Your family keeps surprising me, Alexandra,” Magnus said.

“Get used to it,” Alexandra said.

“Thanks for helping us, auntie,” Alex said.

“It’s what I do,” the woman said.

“Why are you even here?” Thea said. “This is Persia, not Russia.”

“Angie called on my help to get you to safety, so I decided to do it myself,” the woman said, “Unfortunately, I was too late to save her...which I am very, very sorry. The next best thing I can do is to protect the rest of you as she asked of me. And I swear, I’m going to do that, like I always do.”

“Please tell me I'm not hallucinating,” Magnus said.

“Oh no, I'm really here,” the woman said, “I'm Olga Kirova, chancellor of Russia. Agent of the Tsardom, as I have always been.”

• 3Like
Reactions:
Oh thank God they are fine. I guess it was too much to hope for Argus to bite the dust in the tunnel. But at least Alex and the rest of them are alright.

Also Olga kind of has a point. Isn't the Reich's and Persia's current borders a result of WW2 so technically Persia's border would be there.

To comment on a previous question in which you said that a fight between Alex and Josh would be one sided, but a part of me wonders if Alex was trained by Olga to fight Josh would be plausible?

I ask this because in the 2010 remake of The Karate Kid a kid from Detroit who moved to China with his mother was taught by a Kung Fu master on how to beat another kid who is considered a Kung Fu prodigy and beat him in the tournament. So maybe something like that can happen here? If so I can't think of Alex being trained by anyone other than the Firebird herself especially since you said she was only in her 60’s right now.

Also what is Olga doing as a Persian soldier if she is Russian? I also thought she was a teacher? Also "CHANCELLLOR KIROVA"?

Oh thank God they are fine. I guess it was too much to hope for Argus to bite the dust in the tunnel. But at least Alex and the rest of them are alright.
Josh has villain plot armor.
Also Olga kind of has a point. Isn't the Reich's and Persia's current borders a result of WW2 so technically Persia's border would be there.
Well this is more of a dispute involving 100 feet, not a legacy of WW2 border changes.
To comment on a previous question in which you said that a fight between Alex and Josh would be one sided, but a part of me wonders if Alex was trained by Olga to fight Josh would be plausible?
Nope. Diana likely wouldn’t have wanted that.
I ask this because in the 2010 remake of The Karate Kid a kid from Detroit who moved to China with his mother was taught by a Kung Fu master on how to beat another kid who is considered a Kung Fu prodigy and beat him in the tournament. So maybe something like that can happen here? If so I can't think of Alex being trained by anyone other than the Firebird herself especially since you said she was only in her 60’s right now.
Nope. Alex is not a fighter in any way.
Also what is Olga doing as a Persian soldier if she is Russian? I also thought she was a teacher? Also "CHANCELLLOR KIROVA"?
She’s temporarily commanding them. She was a teacher 20 years ago but rose through the ranks since then.

“Oh no, I'm really here,” the woman said, “I'm Olga Kirova, chancellor of Russia. Agent of the Tsardom, as I have always been.”
Well this is a surprise. I always wondered why there weren’t any mentions of Olga until now, this explains a lot. Come to think about it, it also explains how we ever heard anyone mention the Russian chancellor by name these past few years.

Happy to see Olga return and save Alex’s crew this way, but knowing how Josh has to kill Olga in the future, this sadly confirms my suspicions of the Reich invading Russia in the future like the Angeloi did.

On that note, I’m really looking forward to the moment where Josh and Theodor get what’s coming to them once Elias falls, preferably by Alex and Thea’s hands even if it’s unlikely.

Great work yet again @GhostRider124, I liked how you divided up Isreal-Arabia here. I can only imagine what sorts of wars could break out here, especially between the Jewish countries in Arabia and Ethiopia. I’ll be responding to a few points.
I mean I pretty much got the map done. I still have the Iberian Peninsula, North Africa west of Egypt, and the vanilla African states in the Congo, East Africa, and Madagascar that are not custom and I am not sure what to do with them.
What ideas do you have in mind for these regions? I once thought about China controling Madagascar so the could project influence into Africa, but I see an independent state allied to China being more likely. I think we also had some old notes for Iberia and North Africa too, through I don’t think we ever came up with
Also I think I have a name for Tianxia’s Kalterkrieg (second Chinese victory) and Krasnacht (Syndicast victory). They are Mandate of Heaven and Red Dawn respectively but the only thing that I will probably do with them would be to give a brief summary on what happened between the start of 1936 to the start of the Cold War in those mods. They will probably be the last two of my Tianxia updates.
Sounds like a good plan. This raise a question that’s more directed towards Zen, tho you’re free to offer up your own input: What would Red Flood be like in TTL? I know we already described an alternative WW1 stalemate scenario with Kaiser Karl surviving to carry out his vision of a peace with honor many pages ago, but that was based more on Fuhrerreich If I remember right.
Germania (representing the remnants of the Roman Reich), Chinese Empire, Shahdom of Persia, Kingdom of Greece, Fox, and Tawantinsuyu.
While Zen did use the Fox name a lot back in Vicky 2, you might want to use Meskwaki instead, as that’s the name Zen switched to lately.

Also, what do you think Jews in Yavadi would be doing as well, since that region was once under a Jewish Saray Empire before the Mongol Invasions of the Middle Ages. I kinda picture there being a lot of religious-ethnic tensions in Yavadi between Finnish-Mongol pagans, Slavs and Jews as well.

Last edited:
What ideas do you have in mind for these regions? I once thought about China controling Madagascar so the could project influence into Africa, but I see an independent state allied to China being more likely. I think we also had some old notes for Iberia and North Africa too, through I don’t think we ever came up with
Well for the rest of Africa I was thinking of the German Boers and other Europeans from a country like South Africa and give them the option on whether they remain loyal to the Reich, be neutral, or ally with China.

I am unsure about what to do with Indian Africa since the royalists are still in India they have just retreated north. Do I leave it as its own country or do I have it revolt into different African states and have Ethiopia and South Africa compete for influence in these new states?

We could probably have Madagascar as an ally of China like you recommended since I see China extending its reach into the Indian Ocean by taking all of the islands in the area.

Maybe keep the vanilla states in the Congo as is and have them be competed for by South Africa and Mali?

Mali could take all of Roman West Africa as well as some of the islands in the Atlantic.

I think this was talked about before but North Africa west of Egypt could be under a New-Carthage based in Tunis.

For Iberia I recall the idea of it being divided into three states with Andalusia and León being a Norse country. Portugal being a West African state due to the Malians living there and maybe have Aragon and Navarra unite into a Christian country?

Reactions:
Well this is a surprise. I always wondered why there weren’t any mentions of Olga until now, this explains a lot. Come to think about it, it also explains how we ever heard anyone mention the Russian chancellor by name these past few years.
You could’ve figured it out a couple updates earlier when I reintroduced Yulia Ilyushina. :p
Happy to see Olga return and save Alex’s crew this way, but knowing how Josh has to kill Olga in the future, this sadly confirms my suspicions of the Reich invading Russia in the future like the Angeloi did.
I can’t imagine how badly things would have to get to get there.
On that note, I’m really looking forward to the moment where Josh and Theodor get what’s coming to them once Elias falls, preferably by Alex and Thea’s hands even if it’s unlikely.
Thea will obviously have to defeat her brother in a mecha fight.:D
Great work yet again @GhostRider124, I liked how you divided up Isreal-Arabia here. I can only imagine what sorts of wars could break out here, especially between the Jewish countries in Arabia and Ethiopia. I’ll be responding to a few points.
I especially like the possible tensions between different Jewish communities in Arabia and Ethiopia. It’s not something I touched on other than a few lines when Ethiopia invaded during WW2.
China would at least take the Indian Ocean islands.
Sounds like a good plan. This raise a question that’s more directed towards Zen, tho you’re free to offer up your own input: What would Red Flood be like in TTL? I know we already described an alternative WW1 stalemate scenario with Kaiser Karl surviving to carry out his vision of a peace with honor many pages ago, but that was based more on Fuhrerreich If I remember right.
Instead of attacking Yavdi first, the Bolsheviks mobilize their forces and invade Scandinavia and the Baltics, and from there they foment revolutions across Europe.
While Zen did use the Fox name a lot back in Vicky 2, you might want to use Meskwaki instead, as that’s the name Zen switched to lately.
I’ve actually switched to that name since the end of HOI3 from what I remembered. I’m also going to start switching more names of native nations and people’s to use their native languages. Like the Creek nation will be referred to by a Seminole name (I can’t remember what it was off the top of my head) and I’ll use how native peoples call themselves to describe them. Some place names will also get native names, especially Caribbean islands but also Markland (which will retain its name but also get a secondary Mohawk name).
Also, what do you think Jews in Yavadi would be doing as well, since that region was once under a Jewish Saray Empire before the Mongol Invasions of the Middle Ages. I kinda picture there being a lot of religious-ethnic tensions in Yavadi between Finnish-Mongol pagans, Slavs and Jews as well.
I think I touched on it briefly in one of Alex’s study sessions. Jews face a lot of discrimination in Yavdi because they once made up the noble and merchant classes, thus enjoying a lot of political and economic influence under the khans of Saray. Not only because the Finns, Mongols, and Slavs would prefer their people to be in charge but also because the equalist regime saw them as capitalist traitors. It’s a sentiment that persists even today with the Paulluist regime having glorified a pre-Saray Perm Empire and being quite hostile to Jews.

Reactions:
Well for the rest of Africa I was thinking of the German Boers and other Europeans from a country like South Africa and give them the option on whether they remain loyal to the Reich, be neutral, or ally with China.
Don’t forget the many Indians that settled there.
I am unsure about what to do with Indian Africa since the royalists are still in India they have just retreated north. Do I leave it as its own country or do I have it revolt into different African states and have Ethiopia and South Africa compete for influence in these new states?
I think it should explode with a rump royalist state in the north propped up by someone. Mutapa would be another major player here having been revived out of the two empires’ collapsing colonies. And they have quite the score to settle.
We could probably have Madagascar as an ally of China like you recommended since I see China extending its reach into the Indian Ocean by taking all of the islands in the area.
Madagascar would be a puppet of China to allow it to maintain total naval control over the Indian Ocean.
Maybe keep the vanilla states in the Congo as is and have them be competed for by South Africa and Mali?
Loango would declare independence. It has been a protectorate since its annexation and is technically still semiautonomous even in the main timeline. Here it would become a major regional power and use its vast natural resources to quickly industrialize and expand its influence to the other nearby post-colonial states. Internally it would have conflicts between a mostly Christianized upper class jointly dominated by German settlers and the ethnic group the monarchy belongs to and a generally pagan and multiethnic lower class.
Mali could take all of Roman West Africa as well as some of the islands in the Atlantic.
They could also set their sights on restoring Nsorala.
I think this was talked about before but North Africa west of Egypt could be under a New-Carthage based in Tunis.
Don’t we already have a New Carthage in the other mod?
For Iberia I recall the idea of it being divided into three states with Andalusia and León being a Norse country. Portugal being a West African state due to the Malians living there and maybe have Aragon and Navarra unite into a Christian country?

There could also be a Basque nation which just wants to be left alone by everyone else.

I think I touched on it briefly in one of Alex’s study sessions. Jews face a lot of discrimination in Yavdi because they once made up the noble and merchant classes, thus enjoying a lot of political and economic influence under the khans of Saray. Not only because the Finns, Mongols, and Slavs would prefer their people to be in charge but also because the equalist regime saw them as capitalist traitors. It’s a sentiment that persists even today with the Paulluist regime having glorified a pre-Saray Perm Empire and being quite hostile to Jews.
I could see the Jews of the Saray Khaganate going to either Ethiopia or Arabia due to both regions having a large Jewish population.

They could also set their sights on restoring Nsorala.
Yes but in the Fox update by CaptainAlvious he said that Neurhomaina would be annexed by Tawantinsuyu.

Don’t we already have a New Carthage in the other mod?
I think so but I believe it was annexed into Mali in a previous discussion so in this one it could survive?

There could also be a Basque nation which just wants to be left alone by everyone else.
Okay so maybe have Aragon as a Christian nation and have Navarra as its own country?

After a lot of pain (and despite knowing more to come), it felt like a breath of fresh air to see Olga again.

Okay so maybe have Aragon as a Christian nation and have Navarra as its own country?
Aren’t there a lot of Jews in eastern Hispania, specifically in the province’s commercial centers like Catalonia? Maybe you could have them create their own state as well.
Come to think of it, aren’t there Zoroastrians and Zunists who arrived during the Persian Revolution that are in a similar situation? I think you mentioned that in the study session discussing the 19th century liberal movements
I’ve actually switched to that name since the end of HOI3 from what I remembered. I’m also going to start switching more names of native nations and people’s to use their native languages. Like the Creek nation will be referred to by a Seminole name (I can’t remember what it was off the top of my head) and I’ll use how native peoples call themselves to describe them. Some place names will also get native names, especially Caribbean islands but also Markland (which will retain its name but also get a secondary Mohawk name).
Are you planning to do the same with old world countries as well, like for example switching out Persia for its more native of Iran (With the native spelling of Eran since Iran was used for the fascist government of HOI3)?
Instead of attacking Yavdi first, the Bolsheviks mobilize their forces and invade Scandinavia and the Baltics, and from there they foment revolutions across Europe.
That would be a good point of divergence.

I could see the Jews of the Saray Khaganate going to either Ethiopia or Arabia due to both regions having a large Jewish population.
Most likely Arabia because it’s closer and the Reich is friendlier.
Yes but in the Fox update by CaptainAlvious he said that Neurhomaina would be annexed by Tawantinsuyu.
Which could cause tension and conflict.
I think so but I believe it was annexed into Mali in a previous discussion so in this one it could survive?
Maybe.
Navarra as its own country sounds good.
After a lot of pain (and despite knowing more to come), it felt like a breath of fresh air to see Olga again.
We’ll be seeing a lot of her in the future, to make up for her absence so far.
Aren’t there a lot of Jews in eastern Hispania, specifically in the province’s commercial centers like Catalonia? Maybe you could have them create their own state as well.
Yep, they’d be in conflict with the Christians and Norse.
Come to think of it, aren’t there Zoroastrians and Zunists who arrived during the Persian Revolution that are in a similar situation? I think you mentioned that in the study session discussing the 19th century liberal movements
Yeah, them too.
Are you planning to do the same with old world countries as well, like for example switching out Persia for its more native of Iran (With the native spelling of Eran since Iran was used for the fascist government of HOI3)?
No, this is just for native Eimericans since the existing names are either inaccurate or come from English or French.

Man it's so good to see Olga again, even when the circumstances are most dire. Too many lives were lost in all these madness already, and it's a shame those responsible won't have their comeuppance yet. A shame really. Also Theodor losing his cool when his sister outright disowned him was hilarious, beneath all that smug technocrat scumbag lies someone who throws a tantrum when things don't go their way, heh.

Man it's so good to see Olga again, even when the circumstances are most dire. Too many lives were lost in all these madness already, and it's a shame those responsible won't have their comeuppance yet. A shame really. Also Theodor losing his cool when his sister outright disowned him was hilarious, beneath all that smug technocrat scumbag lies someone who throws a tantrum when things don't go their way, heh.
I don't know what's funnier, that he threw a tantrum when things didn't go his way, or that he fully expected Thea to actually join him at that moment.

Chapter 460: The Lights Go Out

As it turned out, the Roman people weren’t like real frogs. The prevailing sentiment in such troubling times was that as long as they had order, things were okay. It didn’t matter how order was established. They were happy to live in a secure country like the Reich, the greatest nation in the world. The worst day in the Reich was better than the best day in any other country. Especially with such examples as Yavdi and Srivijaya, which were both overrun by equalists in different ways. After all, this nation had been the dominant superpower for a thousand years for a reason. Why change things if they were going so well? And so they boiled. They deserved what was coming for them.

1627876407429.jpeg

1627876430453.jpeg

(They surprisingly did...absolutely nothing. Just like the Livonian equalists.)

1627876446940.jpeg

1627876456539.jpeg

Even India, the Reich’s old ally, was no exception. Over the last few years, it had adopted a far left and nationalistic foreign policy as the All India Party, led by Chancellor Pramila Jayapal, called for Indian self-sufficiency and an end to Roman imperialism.

1627876465878.jpeg

Pramila Jayapal, Chancellor of India and the culmination of fifty years of Naxalite tolerance

As she built up a solid support base throughout India, her policies became more and more radical. First she started with harsh taxes on foreign businesses, driving away Roman companies. Then she resurrected old border disputes in the Himalayas, asserting that if the people of Nepal and Bhutan so chose, India would reunify with both countries, thus putting an end to the “stain of Samarkand.” After silencing all right-wing opposition through legal means, she turned on the Reich, canceling the leases of the Roman military bases in Rangpur, Chitral, Simla, and Delhi and ordering all Roman troops to leave at gunpoint. Jayapal foolishly thought the Reich was too busy with internal affairs to worry about its interests in India.

1627876477284.jpeg

Indian troops storming the Roman military base in Chitral, the first to come under attack.

Unfortunately for her, the committee would not stand for such insolence.

1627876497974.jpeg

(This was completely unscripted and came out of nowhere. Probably happened because I went over the infamy limit. For several months I was debating whether or not I could just ignore the whole war and continue with the original plan, but I kept it in.)

With the help of Argus contractors sent in to relieve the trapped Roman troops, the first wave of Indians assaulting the bases were rightfully thrown back and suffered heavy casualties. To punish the Indians further, the garrisons sortied out and seized the neighboring towns. Rangpur, Chitral, and Simla fell quickly.

1627876515238.jpeg

(Instead of decanonizing the entire war, I've instead put screenshots of every single battle here. There weren't that many because I was focused on defending rather than attacking.)

1627876523173.jpeg

1627876543321.jpeg

1627876552479.jpeg

The Indians put up a serious fight for Delhi, and it took seven months before Argus finally secured the city and pacified all resistance.

1627876563885.jpeg

1627876575582.jpeg

1627876587801.jpeg

During the battle, Jayapal was executed for crimes against humanity and Samrat Chakravartin Jayamsimha paralyzed while resisting arrest. Most of the Indian government was also wiped out in the battle. And with Delhi under firm Argus occupation, it fell to the military to assemble an emergency government. Jayasimha appointed General Banda Ahluwalia as interim chancellor and tasked him with forming a caretaker cabinet based in Karachi.

1627876611550.jpeg

1627876620719.jpeg

(I think I took this picture to show off All India's platform (I shorted the name as AIADMK stands for something longer and different from what I eventually turned All India into), but in-universe the BJP would be in power. That's something on the story side only as at this point in the game I still had no idea what I wanted to do with the story.)

Chancellor Ahluwalia was left with no choice but to agree to the Roman terms. The All India Party was banned, and its delegation in the Sansad Bhawan was replaced with one from the Bharatiya Janata Party, a Hindutva party, which was given a legislative majority. The leases on the bases were renewed, though the actual contracts were mere formalities now. Rangpur, Chitral, Simla, and especially Delhi were placed under indefinite Argus occupation to prevent any “further incidents.” Ahluwalia protested the development, but the Indian military had been wiped out in its failed attempts to take the bases and were in no position to try again. The new BJP government, led by the neo-Rasa ultranationalist Amit Shah, sidelined Ahluwalia and began imposing its own agenda.

1627876636890.png

BJP leader Amit Shah, the true leader of India.

The BJP set about repealing every piece of legislation Jayapal and All India passed. To root out “Naxalite corruption,” they changed laws to empower Hindutva organizations and neo-Rasa militia groups, benefit their corporate donors, and change the education curriculum to emphasize Hindutva talking points and demonize Muslims and other perceived “foreigners.” But there was one thing they shared in common with Ahluwalia and their hated left-wing enemy: a hatred of the Reich. On May 2, Ahluwalia announced India would withdraw from Schengen, as a result of the alleged “Roman betrayal” of his nation. The committee shot back, arguing India had betrayed the Reich first and brought this upon itself. Jayasimha then stepped into the argument and declared that whoever was at fault, it did not change the fact that the Reich had killed thousands of his citizens and was now illegally occupying four of his cities, including his capital. India could not stay in an alliance with such an aggressor. Although the ancient pact of friendship between the Paramara and Hohenzollern families remained, due to the state of both families it was reduced to just that, a piece of paper. Just like that, eight centuries of national friendship were broken.

1627876654028.jpeg

(They surprisingly agreed to it. Guess they got inspired by Vicky-era China.)

But whatever. The Reich didn’t need such weak allies. It didn’t need any of the other members who withdrew in support of India either. If anything, Schengen was stronger and better off without them. The people certainly didn’t care. Why should they care about what was happening on the other side of the world to people out of their lives? The economy was good, the terrorists were on the run, and things were looking up at home. In fact, things were so good the 2035 examinations had gone forward as planned, only with increased security to prevent a repeat of Bloody Tuesday.

1627876672457.jpeg

As agreed on, the committee stepped back and encouraged candidates to step forward. It had been almost five years since Bloody Tuesday, and the major parties had all largely recovered from the losses they suffered that day. However, most of the leaders with the needed charisma and name recognition to run a national campaign had not been replaced. The CMU, CSU, and SPR in particular were almost completely nonexistent due to years of decline and an almost total wipeout during Bloody Tuesday. Ironically, the only party with an intact and capable leadership was the KRA, led by Neurhomanian representative Paul Ulrich.

A bit of a “maverick” to the political establishment, Ulrich was pretty much the physical embodiment of the KRA’s central ideals of classic liberalism and free market economics, calling for lower taxes and less government regulation of any kind. He was behind the party’s “Eimerican strategy” which saw it relocate to Neurhomania when it was on the verge of losing its presence in the mainland. But that didn’t turn out too well, because CB was always far more popular than the KRA in the area. And the KRA still struggled to shake off the stain of Walter Scheel’s administrations, even 60 years after the last time he took office. To combat this, Ulrich reached out to the remnants of the traditional right and left in the CMU and SPR, proposing a “grand alliance,” an unprecedented coalition which would consolidate the support of the entire mainstream into a single bloc. The CMU and SPR, as well as the other mainstream parties, agreed to form the grand alliance. Ulrich named the SPR’s Andrea Nahles, who had run for chancellor in 2025, as his running mate to boost his credentials. Their platform called for an end to the committee (only possible by imperial decree with the committee’s consent), the lifting of martial law (only possible by another imperial decree), and the restoration of all of the laws nullified over the last five years (which required supermajorities in both houses of the Diet as the laws had to be individually reintroduced and passed normally…or by imperial decree). In short, they wanted a return to where the country was in 2029.

1627876691820.jpeg

On the other side, the committee endorsed the incumbent, CB chancellor Brad Folger. His running mate was the war hero and committee member Elias Anhorn. His strategy was to focus on his record since taking over in 2030. Under his leadership, the economy had recovered from the 2024 recession, and the stock market had soared to greater heights. Order had been restored, and despite the rioting of several hundred spoiled kids in liberal cities, the vast majority of Romans enjoyed a comfortable, safe, and high quality standard of living. The terrorists had been apprehended and sent on the run wherever they were. The troops had been supported through their darkest hour since 1985. It was clear the committee had successfully led the Reich through the darkness of the last 5 years. Things were doing well. So why did they have to change?

The LKR ran a third campaign for those who weren’t satisfied with either option. Their platform agreed it was reasonable to want the committee to step back. But the grand alliance went too far in wanting all of the precautions taken over the last five years to be rolled back. As a result, they were morally and politically just as bad as they claimed their opponents to be. Both sides, therefore, were the same. Their message resonated with many Romans. Most of the population didn’t pay close attention to politics, especially lately. After all, nothing really changed no matter who was in charge. So why bother putting in extra effort? All politicians were corrupt and self-serving, after all, and especially the CMU and SPR, whose incompetence and arrogance got everyone into this mess to begin with. The LKR campaign served its purpose, siphoning off potential examiners and support from the grand alliance and weakening both, while CB’s campaign remained united and at full strength.

But despite nothing bad happening during most of the campaign season, just as Folger and Anhorn feared, something inevitably went wrong at the very end. On December 21, 2034, a winter solstice that would become known as the Red Christmas, the worst happened. Nukes detonated in the centers of Beirut, Alexandria, Antioch, and Tel Aviv, with the so-called Mexicanist State claiming responsibility hours later. Ten million people died in the attacks, and concurrently with the bombings, targeted assassinations took out hundreds of leaders on both sides of the aisle, among them Nahles, Ulrich, and Chancellor Folger. The Kaiser’s niece Wilhelmina and her family went missing during the chaos, and everyone feared the worst. Faced with an even worse catastrophe than Bloody Tuesday, Wilhelm IV granted Interim Chancellor Anhorn more emergency powers, among them a vast expansion of martial law and a temporary total suspension of the Augustinian Code. Anhorn acted immediately and decisively, sending in the military and private military contractors like Argus to crush the terrorists still roaming on the streets executing people. It took ten long and bloody days, but with the help of patriotic Romans who wanted a return to normalcy and peace of mind, Anhorn prevailed.

1627876710105.jpeg

(It had actually been 100% traditionalist since the previous year but that was as a result of the mass reform rollbacks with console.)

As New Year’s Day arrived, a strange calm descended over the Reich. The tumult of the last five years simply…disappeared. The cities, once hotbeds of unrest and rioting, fell quiet. The rest of the nation also grew quiet. People returned to their homes and their lives. It was business as usual again. The Reich had emerged from the chaos of the last five years, and Anhorn and the committee would be there to lead the nation into a bright future.

The frogs had been fully cooked, and they welcomed it. Now it was time for the vultures to eat them.

---

Sorry for any extra notifications. The forum glitched out and didn't load my screenshots properly again. Should be working fine now.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The frogs had been fully cooked, and they welcomed it. Now it was time for the vultures to eat them.
Well the Rich keeps digging itself into a deeper hole. The sad thing is that they have the army to back it up.

One thing that I like about this arc is that in a way gives some backstory to the actual Handmaids Tale book and tv show.

So since Alex and the rest of them fled to Russia are we going to have the story parts from a ant-committee stance and the gameplay parts in a pro-committee stance like how this one sesames to be?

Reactions:
Damn, and I thought the narration of the last gameplay update was biased and unreliable. Not what I expect at all. I remember you also did something similar with the Anarchy updates, but this is very chilling, like it’s being written from the Commitee’s perspective.

Poor India, Jayapal and Bill fought well, but it seems India is doomed to follow the same path as the Reich and China and become a fascist state once again. History doesn’t repeat, but it does rhyme. Man, it sucks to see all three of the superpowers ending up like this. And I don’t think the other minor countries and the Eimericas and Srivijaya will be able to resist their totalitarian influence and maintain their open societies.

The Commitee obviously doesn’t care and still hates and suppress them, but I’m surprised at how moderate the equalists have been during this arc, working within and liberal democratic and meritocratic systems in Livonia, India and possibly Yavadi. Even the pre-Commitee Reich with the PMS as well. Through the equalists in Srivijaya do seem to still be radical and probably still embraces class warfare. Quite a redemption arc I must say.

The Commitee and their supporters talk a lot about the Reich’s economy having recovered from the recession of the 2020s, but has it really? I don’t believe it, especially after their discriminatory acts, deliberate destruction of the global trade system to create a mercantilist system (as Josiah’s books, dialogue and policies seem to indicate to), purging of most of the workforce, and nuking of major trade and financial centers in the Middle East.

Are the anti-Commitee and old establishment parties still around in game, or have they been disbanded at this point to fit with the story, with only the CB, LKR and nationalist parties left (as I remember the NDF had some representatives on the Committee)?

And so Romanitas has died, the Imperial Dream has become a nightmare. It happened here again. I just hope the rest of the world won’t be as accepting of tyranny as the people of the Reich and China turned out to be. I wonder how this will affect Stellaris in the end.

Also, are you going to update the table of contents now that Folger is dead and therefore no longer Chancellor?

Last edited:
Well the Rich keeps digging itself into a deeper hole. The sad thing is that they have the army to back it up.
The army is helping dig the hole.
One thing that I like about this arc is that in a way gives some backstory to the actual Handmaids Tale book and tv show.
This is definitely based on the backstory in the book and show, leaning towards details given in the show and analyses from fans.
So since Alex and the rest of them fled to Russia are we going to have the story parts from a ant-committee stance and the gameplay parts in a pro-committee stance like how this one sesames to be?
That was my original plan, but I've made things a little more nuanced and complex. The story will be a mix of POVs from both pro-committee and anti-committee characters, while the chapters sometimes feel like they have two narrators (pro- and anti-) constantly fighting over the narrative.

Oh, and to clarify, Alex and his group will be going to Persia, but Olga heads back to Russia as I have separate plans for both groups.
Damn, and I thought the narration of the last gameplay update was biased and unreliable. Not what I expect at all. I remember you also did something similar with the Anarchy updates, but this is very chilling, like it’s being written from the Commitee’s perspective.
At least with the Anarchy that was intentionally written in a campy and over the top manner as it was clearly satire and I wasn't taking things too seriously (it was a Macbeth homage, after all). Here I'm playing things completely straight.
Poor India, Jayapal and Bill fought well, but it seems India is doomed to follow the same path as the Reich and China and become a fascist state once again. History doesn’t repeat, but it does rhyme. Man, it sucks to see all three of the superpowers ending up like this. And I don’t think the other minor countries and the Eimericas and Srivijaya will be able to stand up to them.
That will be a major plot detail going forward, especially as Olga will now bring in a geopolitics angle in her POV.
The Commitee obviously doesn’t care and still hates and suppress them, but I’m surprised at how moderate the equalists have been during this arc, working within and liberal democratic and meritocratic systems in Livonia, India and possibly Yavadi. Even the pre-Commitee Reich with the PMS as well. Through the equalists in Srivijaya do seem to still be radical and probably still embraces class warfare. Quite a redemption arc I must say.
The equalists in Burma seem to have spread out after Srivijaya formed. They're still stuck in old Siam-era mentalities while equalists everywhere else have become rather conciliatory and generally nice.
The Commitee and their supporters talk a lot about the Reich’s economy having recovered from the recession of the 2020s, but has it really? I don’t believe it, especially after their discriminatory acts, deliberate destruction of the global trade system to create a mercantilist system (as Josiah’s books, dialogue and policies seem to indicate to), purging of most of the workforce, and nuking of major financial centers in the Middle East.
Depends on their definition of recovery. Did Tesla Dynamic's stock value soar? Yes it did. Global trade? Pfft, who needs that?

The committee is definitely reviving mercantilism (although this was more of an accident as the committee's economic policies I describe in upcoming updates coincidentally fall into mercantilist policies) in the modern era, with its disdain for global trade and realization that the Reich's central position in the world economy can be weaponized.
Are the anti-Commitee and old establishment parties still around in game, or have they been disbanded at this point to fit with the story, with only the CB, LKR and nationalist parties left (as I remember the NDF had some representatives on the Committee)?
In-game all parties still exist, but only CB has representation. The lower house got really screwed up and non-CB parties started gaining representation again to varying degrees, but that's not canon.
And so Romanitas has died, the Imperial Dream has become a nightmare. It happened here again. I just hope the rest of the world won’t be as accepting of tyranny as the people of the Reich and China turned out to be. I wonder how this will affect Stellaris in the end.
There will be massive consequences on Stellaris.
Also, are you going to update the table of contents now that Folger is dead and therefore no longer Chancellor?
Oh, right. I totally forgot about that. I'll update that right now.

Last edited:
At this point nuclear exchange is no longer an if, but a when. Who are the poor folks who'll taste it first hand? Who's the fool who will pull the trigger? Whoever it is, one thing is very clear. The earth will burn.

At this point nuclear exchange is no longer an if, but a when. Who are the poor folks who'll taste it first hand? Who's the fool who will pull the trigger? Whoever it is, one thing is very clear. The earth will burn.
Burgundian system intensifies.

Considering how the Committee just demonstrated how willing it is to nuke their own Roman cities in the name of purging leftist influence, and how you yourself, @TWR97, compared Elias to Taboritsky, I wouldn’t put it above Elias to go full out posadist so they could cleanse the world of all non-Christians. Especially since they have SVI to stop any nuclear counter-attacks. Then again, that would go against their environmentalist mission they were previously dedicated towards, even if they don’t care as much about it anymore and are putting it off. Plus the other Committee memebers likely wouldn’t be crazy enough to cause a nuclear holocaust and the resulting global nuclear winter.

Either way, let’s hope the Hohenzollernverse doesn’t up end up like the Annionaverse, especially since they are no Mars or Venus colonies to flee to.

Last edited:
There will be massive consequences on Stellaris.
At this point I would not be surprised if a nuclear war happens and the Earth unifies under a single authoritarian government like the United Citizen Federation of Starship Troopers or maybe similarly to the Commonwealth of Man preset-Empire in Stellaris.

A part of me wonders what the worm and its cult are doing through all of this. They are probably very giddy since humanity seems to be destroying itself and them not having to do anything.

Also since you are approaching the in universe 100 year anniversary of WWII are you or the Committee going to do anything to commemorate it?

Depends on their definition of recovery. Did Tesla Dynamic's stock value soar? Yes it did. Global trade? Pfft, who needs that?
In the show Fred tells Serena that if the regime douse not get relief soon "then our currency will fall off a cliff" (I'm paraphrasing) this implies economic sanctions from the rest of the world. I know India, China and Penglai are Right wing but maybe the Emericas and Central Asia with what is left of the UN could do the same thing? Maybe this can include Srivijaya, Russia, Scandinavia as well?

In any case I hope Elias arc is similar to Fred's ;) (that is all I am going to say for those that are not caught up on the show. If you want to know I would suggest you watch Season 4).

Lastly since new adaptations of both Isaac Asimov's Foundation and Frank Herbert's Dune are coming out soon (September 24 and October 22 respectively) what are both of those universes like in TTL since Foundation is based off of The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon and Dune seems to have a lot of Middle-Eastern and Islamic references?