• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #2 - Capacities

ThumbnailTemplate_1920x1080.png

Hello and welcome back to another Victoria 3 dev diary! Today we will be talking about three of the four of the main ‘currencies’ of the game - namely Capacities (the last being Money, which we’ll of course come back to later).

We mentioned in the very first dev diary that there is no ‘mana’ in Victoria 3, and since this dev diary is about the game’s “currencies”, I want to be clear on what I mean by that. When we say there is “no mana” we mean that the resources in Victoria 3 arise and are spent in clearly defined ways that are parts of the simulation, not from an overly abstract concept or vague idea. There is, of course, some degree of abstraction involved (all games are abstractions after all), but we want all the game’s currencies to be strongly rooted in the mechanics and not feel arbitrary.

But enough about that and onto Capacities. What exactly are they?

Well, for starters, calling them currencies is actually not accurate. Capacities are not a pooled resource and are not accumulated or spent, but instead, have a constant generation and a constant usage (similar to for example Administrative Capacity in Stellaris), and you generally want to keep your usage from exceeding your generation. Each capacity represents one specific area of your nation’s ability to govern and is used solely for matters relating to that area.

As mentioned, Capacities are not accumulated, so excess generation is not pooled, but instead there is an effect for each Capacity which is positive if generation exceeds usage and quite negative if usage exceeds generation - a country that incorporates territories left and right without expanding its bureaucratic corps may quickly find itself mired in debt as tax collection collapses under the strain!

Bureaucracy represents a nation’s ability to govern, invest in and collect taxes from its incorporated territory. It is produced by the Government Administration building, where many of a nation’s Bureaucrats will be employed. All of a nation’s Incorporated States use a base amount of Bureaucracy which increases with the size of their population, and further increased by each Institution (such as Education or Police - more on those later!) that a country has invested in. Overall, the purpose of Bureaucracy is to ensure that there is a cost to ruling over, taxing and providing for your population - administrating China should not be cheap!

The Swedish Bureaucracy is currently a bit overworked and the country could certainly benefit from another Government Administration building or two.
bureaucracy.PNG

Authority represents the Head of State’s personal power and ability to enact change in the country through decree. It is generated from your Laws - generally, the more repressive and authoritarian the country, the more Authority it will generate - and is used by a variety of actions such as enacting decrees in specific states, interacting with Interest Groups and promoting or banning certain types of Goods. Overall, the purpose of Authority is to create an interesting trade-off between more and less authoritarian societies - by shifting the distribution of power away from the Pops into the hands of the ruler, your ability to rule by decree is increased, and vice versa.

The Swedish King has more Authority at his disposal than he is currently using, slightly speeding up the rate at which laws can be passed.
authority.PNG

Influence represents a country’s ability to conduct diplomacy and its reach on the global stage. It is generated primarily from your Rank (Great Powers have more Influence than Major Powers and so on) and is used to support ongoing diplomatic actions and pacts, such as Improving Relations, Alliances, Trade Deals, Subjects and so on. Overall, the purpose of Influence is to force players to make interesting choices about which foreign countries they want to build strong diplomatic relationships with.

Sweden has plenty of unused Influence and could certainly afford to support another diplomatic pact or two!
influence.png

That’s all for today! Join us again next week as I cover something yet another topic that’s fundamental to Victoria 3: Buildings. See you then!

• 526Like
  • 119Love
Reactions:
Calling differently a mana doesn´t make it less a mana. When I complain about a mana I say that i don´t want an abstract number to rule the gameplay, and this are abstract numbers. If we are doing a simulation, Why does it cost authority to mantain roads? Does the government send the police and yell to ground to keep it being a road? I would make sense to have a money pay to keep the roads, for the workers and the concrete, or steel for the railroads. Burocracy is another problematic "capacity". Can I build all the government buildings in one region, and miraculously i will have control over a micronesian state because i have the capacity? Victoria 2 was flawed and ducktaped but at least if you wanted to have burucracy you had to have bureucrats in the region not this kind of magic number, plus it would change from colonies to colonial states to integrated regions to stetes overtime and thanks to populations. About the bird capacity... It would make more sense to create embasies on foreign countries and you had to invest money on them. Some countries get mad because you opened an embassy on an enemy country, the major players have easier time making friends with weaker powers, but the weak have to waste tons of many mantaining happy the stronger nations. In summary that the relations between countries depend or their relative power and not on the countries capability of grabbing birds. Mao Bird meta for the win.

TLDR Changing the name from mana to capacity doesn´t solve the issue

• 1Like
Reactions:
So it's Mana with a Groucho Marx disguise. Hard pass.

• 2Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Yes, for example. Things like standartization of rules for railroads or Congress' mandate to designate and operate post routes (and therefore Post Office authority on such routes) is another approach, also used by USA.
Congress is allowed to establish and maintain post offices and post roads, but not required to. The same authority exists for letters of marque, and there have been none since 1814.

Reactions:
I am late for development diary. Maybe someone said it but:
Is road maintenance giving negative authority cause it is in bad quality - so laws, and orders goes slower and people, for example in Vladivostok will see Tsar as less authority for them, than someone in Smolensk?
Gonna search for the answers here though.

This reminds me very much of Stellaris.
Love it. Thank you, this is a system I'm going to love and whicht would make it easy for me to access

• 1Like
Reactions:
I strongly suspect that in this game, all buildings are factory-like: they need their inputs and workforces to generate their outputs.
Could be interesting if, for example, running public schools would require some level of buildings to represent the schools and whatnot.

Others have mentioned that it could be a bit of a micromanagement concern and I think that that is valid. But I am curious to see how it all goes because at least on the surface I enjoy the idea that the government infrastructure requires more than just "budget slider to encourage more clergy" so to speak.

It could help remove rather arbitrary "only 4% pops being clergy/educators matters" to actually reflecting a supply/demand for schools. Places with more dependent kids and no child labour may benefit from more schools, and those could be set up in private or public ways. So You need as many educators as schools require and as many schools as there is demand for them.

Only concerns are micromanagement I feel, which PDX could have solutions to help mitigate.

Congress is allowed to establish and maintain post offices and post roads, but not required to. The same authority exists for letters of marque, and there have been none since 1814.
I'm not sure what do you want to say. The question was "how democratic government can assert its authority to maintain infrastructure", as a policy. That's examples how they do it.

Is road maintenance giving negative authority cause it is in bad quality - so laws, and orders goes slower and people, for example in Vladivostok will see Tsar as less authority for them, than someone in Smolensk?

Nah, it's the Tsar demanding that the serfs repair the roads withouth the state having to pay any money. Extra forced labour basically.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Soft power does not exist, either. It is a measure of something.
It's a measure of something, just like the bureaucratic, authority, and influence capacities here. Your usage represents allocating resources from these areas to a particular task. Diplomatic staff or civil service prioritizing one project or country over others, sending cultural ambassadors or letters of support or condemnation, using the overall governmental infrastructure to prioritize certain project. Those can be reallocated at any time so they're not being spent as they're not disappearing or going away, but putting the resources toward a project means you have less resources available for other simultaneous projects.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is bureaucracy capacity equals to how much money you invest? Sounds like that if you has enough money to afford administration building and bureaucrats' salary, you can have as many bureaucracy capacity as you want. I'm worry about that when you get everything on track in the mid-game and have stable income, bureaucracy capacity will never be a problem.

As far as i understood authority just means you can go against of the will of the poeple/IG's for a certain degree. Road maintance is an edict to improve your province connectivity to the national market. I guess you can do this through the government body if they agree with you and that way dont cost authority.

Why does it cost authority to mantain roads? Does the government send the police and yell to ground to keep it being a road? I would make sense to have a money pay to keep the roads, for the workers and the concrete, or steel for the railroads.
If you are building railroads, you need to pay the workers and provide the steel etc. If you issue a decree that landowners must maintain the dirt and gravel roads to a certain standard or face arrest and imprisonment, then the landowners get the peasants to do the needed shovel work and you maintain a minimally-functioning road network.

• 8Like
Reactions:
There was some mana element in Vicky 2, but this feels like relatively arbitrary point generation (aka mana) will now be much more central to the game. If you look at the DD most of the points seem to come from ruler traits, buildings, ideas, rather than pops.
I think it's a bit too early to say, especially given that even in Victoria 2 there was an explicit relationship between buildings and pops.

Most goods in Victoria 2 end up coming from Factories. But the output of those factories is determined by the pops that work them. If you have bureaucrat type jobs working in the government buildings, then the points "coming from buildings" are still directly influenced by pops.

Nah, it's the Tsar demanding that the serfs repair the roads withouth the state having to pay any money. Extra forced labour basically.
...and this people would die, and roads would still unfinished.
That's Tsar's government demanding his ministry to ensure that Vladivostok's roads would be maintainted well, and "overpressure" every other concern of local administration. Like, they are thinking "ok, we need roads, farms, trade relationships with China, more support to local fortifications, education policies, medicine..." and emissar from SPb is, like, "ROADS. TZAR WANTS ROADS."

Mana is when the developers implement a gameplay abstraction I don't like and the less I like it the more mana-er it is.

• 6Haha
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Is bureaucracy capacity equals to how much money you invest? Sounds like that if you has enough money to afford administration building and bureaucrats' salary, you can have as many bureaucracy capacity as you want. I'm worry about that when you get everything on track in the mid-game and have stable income, bureaucracy capacity will never be a problem.
You can't pay more people than are employed, so no, even if you have the money you won't be able to have as much bureaucracy capacity as you want. And increasing the number of people employed in the bureaucracy will move them out of other areas like resource production or factories, so it becomes a balancing act.

Reactions: