• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #2 - Capacities

ThumbnailTemplate_1920x1080.png

Hello and welcome back to another Victoria 3 dev diary! Today we will be talking about three of the four of the main ‘currencies’ of the game - namely Capacities (the last being Money, which we’ll of course come back to later).

We mentioned in the very first dev diary that there is no ‘mana’ in Victoria 3, and since this dev diary is about the game’s “currencies”, I want to be clear on what I mean by that. When we say there is “no mana” we mean that the resources in Victoria 3 arise and are spent in clearly defined ways that are parts of the simulation, not from an overly abstract concept or vague idea. There is, of course, some degree of abstraction involved (all games are abstractions after all), but we want all the game’s currencies to be strongly rooted in the mechanics and not feel arbitrary.

But enough about that and onto Capacities. What exactly are they?

Well, for starters, calling them currencies is actually not accurate. Capacities are not a pooled resource and are not accumulated or spent, but instead, have a constant generation and a constant usage (similar to for example Administrative Capacity in Stellaris), and you generally want to keep your usage from exceeding your generation. Each capacity represents one specific area of your nation’s ability to govern and is used solely for matters relating to that area.

As mentioned, Capacities are not accumulated, so excess generation is not pooled, but instead there is an effect for each Capacity which is positive if generation exceeds usage and quite negative if usage exceeds generation - a country that incorporates territories left and right without expanding its bureaucratic corps may quickly find itself mired in debt as tax collection collapses under the strain!

Bureaucracy represents a nation’s ability to govern, invest in and collect taxes from its incorporated territory. It is produced by the Government Administration building, where many of a nation’s Bureaucrats will be employed. All of a nation’s Incorporated States use a base amount of Bureaucracy which increases with the size of their population, and further increased by each Institution (such as Education or Police - more on those later!) that a country has invested in. Overall, the purpose of Bureaucracy is to ensure that there is a cost to ruling over, taxing and providing for your population - administrating China should not be cheap!

The Swedish Bureaucracy is currently a bit overworked and the country could certainly benefit from another Government Administration building or two.
bureaucracy.PNG

Authority represents the Head of State’s personal power and ability to enact change in the country through decree. It is generated from your Laws - generally, the more repressive and authoritarian the country, the more Authority it will generate - and is used by a variety of actions such as enacting decrees in specific states, interacting with Interest Groups and promoting or banning certain types of Goods. Overall, the purpose of Authority is to create an interesting trade-off between more and less authoritarian societies - by shifting the distribution of power away from the Pops into the hands of the ruler, your ability to rule by decree is increased, and vice versa.

The Swedish King has more Authority at his disposal than he is currently using, slightly speeding up the rate at which laws can be passed.
authority.PNG

Influence represents a country’s ability to conduct diplomacy and its reach on the global stage. It is generated primarily from your Rank (Great Powers have more Influence than Major Powers and so on) and is used to support ongoing diplomatic actions and pacts, such as Improving Relations, Alliances, Trade Deals, Subjects and so on. Overall, the purpose of Influence is to force players to make interesting choices about which foreign countries they want to build strong diplomatic relationships with.

Sweden has plenty of unused Influence and could certainly afford to support another diplomatic pact or two!
influence.png

That’s all for today! Join us again next week as I cover something yet another topic that’s fundamental to Victoria 3: Buildings. See you then!

• 526Like
  • 119Love
Reactions:
Indeed. Perhaps the problem is that they are called buildings. They really represent state-owned institutes or departments or laboratories, which the central (or the regional) government does set up and build. They may be collected at a single building or spread over several physical locations, but this is naturally a place where the abstraction comes in.

Regardless, setting up State institutions in order to direct development is a time-honoured tradition and it's perfectly reasonable to use in Victoria.
Yeah if it was called infrastructure I would be a lo happier, a single building should not be able to affect an entire state or province. It's like the factories on vic2 I always felt they should have been called companies.

Reactions:
My biggest concern in this is authority and what looks like money tokens. Why do roads take away authority. “I am sorry my liege, we have used up all our political authority by building a bridge, now we have to go do a public dance to gain 20 authority points a month.”
The money tokens seem very very scary, does the state not actually pay for things with money, and instead uses a token system? If you want to build a road, assuming you have done enough bell ringing and paper writing events to get the authority too, do you pay for it with 5 money tokens?

Reactions:
My biggest concern in this is authority and what looks like money tokens. Why do roads take away authority. “I am sorry my liege, we have used up all our political authority by building a bridge, now we have to go do a public dance to gain 20 authority points a month.”
The money tokens seem very very scary, does the state not actually pay for things with money, and instead uses a token system? If you want to build a road, assuming you have done enough bell ringing and paper writing events to get the authority too, do you pay for it with 5 money tokens?
Authority as I understood it was a way to use your royal prerogatives - the king leverages their personal power (spare cash, or giving fancy dinners or pretty medals to road builders) to get things done outside of the normal system of "tax in, tax out".

Reactions:
Read the thread. That's not how authority work. Also you can't get '20 authority points a month'. Authority poinbts are not mana. You don't earn them and spend them. like that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What else is there to say?

Paradox is trying their hardest to move away from one dominant currency in all their games (money) to several others and has mostly failed at doing so.

This is the 5th time that Paradox is trying to integrate other currencies in their mainline games with the worst example being Imperator:Rome and the best being CK2. Hopefully they're moving away from the rotten game design of EU4 of "insta-reward" buttons and baseless currencies that completely hinder the games in their future potential.

As for the dev diary, it really lacks substance and as such, is hard to tell if this going to be a varied and good addition to the game or simply more mana akin to Imperator:Rome.

Reactions:
Authority as I understood it was a way to use your royal prerogatives - the king leverages their personal power (spare cash, or giving fancy dinners or pretty medals to road builders) to get things done outside of the normal system of "tax in, tax out".
When it comes to road (and channel) building, I was recently reminded that the usual royal prerogative was to "call in the army, let them do it", which seems to have been a lot more common in autocracies.

Reactions:
Nope, read the post again.
Bureaucracy, Authority and Influence LITERALLY is MANA. In addition to Pound as actual currency.

Seriously? Just like in Imperator:Rome?

I would hate to see Vic3 failing just like I:R because of the manaed-up start, but if I learned something from I:R then it is patiently waiting for mana to be patched out before getting the game.

Reactions:
Bureaucracy, Authority and Influence LITERALLY is MANA. In addition to Pound as actual currency.

Seriously? Just like in Imperator:Rome?

I would hate to see Vic3 failing just like I:R because of the manaed-up start, but if I learned something from I:R then it is patiently waiting for mana to be patched out before getting the game.

If what I:R had is mana, and what EU has is mana, then these are not mana. They are not the same, and its disingenous to say they are. In fact I:R could have done with a few of these and it would have been a lot better game then it is now.

Reactions:
If what I:R had is mana, and what EU has is mana, then these are not mana. They are not the same, and its disingenous to say they are. In fact I:R could have done with a few of these and it would have been a lot better game then it is now.
Sorry, but I’ve got the feeling that you don’t know what you’re talking about. So let me ask you this: Did you, if at all, play I:R right from V1.0?

I definitely hope that this excess mana won’t make it through Vic3 alpha and beta versions because otherwise I would have to wait even longer before getting Vic3.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
As I understand it, "Mana" is things like Stellaris' Influence, HoI4's Political Power and Victoria 2's Diplomatic Points. These are resources that just kinda slowly accumulate over time with few ways of increasing their income and have little real justification. As I see it, none of the three Capacities mentioned in this DD fit this definition.

One crucial difference I see is that you dont have to wait for, say, Influence (Vicky3) to accumulate in order to perform diplomacy like you do with Diplomatic Points in Vicky2. Your available Influence is determined by your country's rank and you're free to spend all of it at once - or even more than you have if you're willing to pay the extra penalty for going over the cap. It also makes more sense as to what it represents - countries are more willing to treat with a prestigious great power than some small middle-of-nowhere country nobody has heard of (though neighbors might be more willing than others and thus pacts with them might be discounted). This as opposed to waiting a certain number of months for a relatively fixed arbitrary income of Diplomatic Points to accumulate.

Bureaucracy is basically Admin Cap from Stellaris, right down to getting more of it by expanding your Government Administration buildings. More bureaucrats = more Bureaucracy. Authority is kinda like Edict Capacity from Stellaris but with each edict having different costs instead of a flat "X number of active edicts". And also like Stellaris the governments with more centralized power have greater capacity to enforce edicts. EDIT: Incidentally I can see many countries actually LOSING Authority over the course of the game as they transition away from fully-centralized governments like Absolute Monarchies to less centralized types like HM's Government or Democracy.

Reactions:
As I understand it, "Mana" is things like Stellaris' Influence, HoI4's Political Power and Victoria 2's Diplomatic Points. These are resources that just kinda slowly accumulate over time with few ways of increasing their income and have little real justification. As I see it, none of the three Capacities mentioned in this DD fit this definition.

One crucial difference I see is that you dont have to wait for, say, Influence (Vicky3) to accumulate in order to perform diplomacy like you do with Diplomatic Points in Vicky2. Your available Influence is determined by your country's rank and you're free to spend all of it at once - or even more than you have if you're willing to pay the extra penalty for going over the cap. It also makes more sense as to what it represents - countries are more willing to treat with a prestigious great power than some small middle-of-nowhere country nobody has heard of (though neighbors might be more willing than others and thus pacts with them might be discounted). This as opposed to waiting a certain number of months for a relatively fixed arbitrary income of Diplomatic Points to accumulate.

Bureaucracy is basically Admin Cap from Stellaris, right down to getting more of it by expanding your Government Administration buildings. More bureaucrats = more Bureaucracy. Authority is kinda like Edict Capacity from Stellaris but with each edict having different costs instead of a flat "X number of active edicts". And also like Stellaris the governments with more centralized power have greater capacity to enforce edicts. EDIT: Incidentally I can see many countries actually LOSING Authority over the course of the game as they transition away from fully-centralized governments like Absolute Monarchies to less centralized types like HM's Government or Democracy.
Thank you for your courteous elaboration, now I understand what the DD was trying to explain.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
A little note on authority. Seems the ways to gain it are fairly limited, and thus for someone who prefers to just speed up laws the speedup of laws need to be ABSOLUTE, as opposed to RELATIVE (note 30% over, thus 1/4 of that 7,5% faster laws).
But get rid of booze, road maintenance and use no authority, then it is 100% extra, presumably 25% faster laws, regardless of whether you have absolutism with no rights whatsoever or running a liberal dream version as its always 100% too much authority, regardles whether that number is +700, +100 or +3000.

Maybe, maybe, modified further by the number of states. Quite possibly by the square root of the number of states. 100 not being 100 times as many as 1, maybe just 10 times.