Portugal: Here we go again

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sete

Lt. General
48 Badges
Jan 24, 2018
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
map2.png

I understand that this is a W.I.P screenshot but I cant fail to notice that Portugal once again has the green colour.

I would suggest since Portugal starts as a Monarchy in the game it should have a blue colour, to go with their Flag:
800px-Flag_of_Portugal_(1830).svg.png

Green should only be used for Republican Portugal.

Even HoI IV uses Blue for Portugal going down the Monarchy path, that colour could and should be used.

• 16Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
The colors are not based solely on flags, but more about other things.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Like ottomans being green instead of red, Egypt not being some shade of red too, russia being green and I never see a green color on all of Russian flags.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
It seem Portuguese colonies in Africa are accurate in this game, unlike Vicky2.
This age is far from my area of interest (15th and 16th century) but yeah I think the push to the interior came in the 19th century in the Scramble for Africa.

This could be the reason for some countries, like Prussia and Austria

You dont see the double standards here?

Reactions:
Isn't there some general rules / consensus for countries colors, in historical maps aside from PDX games?

I don't know about Portugal, but I have almost always seen the Ottoman Empire in Green (rarely in red), and non communist Russia always in Green outside of PDX games.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Isn't there some general rules / consensus for countries colors, in historical maps aside from PDX games?

I don't know about Portugal, but I have almost always seen the Ottoman Empire in Green (rarely in red), and non communist Russia always in Green outside of PDX games.
In both civ V and VI Portugal is White and Blue.
Age of Empires Portugal uses Blue too.
Even in hoi4 you can have Blue Portugal.
I could continue the list but you get the point.

Blue was and is the historical correct color for Portugal, and most strategy games use it.

This is literally the same case of Russia here, Russia will ge green, but if it turns communist it turns red.
Why can't Portugal be the same?

Reactions:
I have never understood why people care so much about what colour a country is on a map. I mean, the USSR turning red makes sense but it wouldn't really functionally change anything if it didn't.

(But fortuitously, I am not the Arbiter of Permissible Things to Care About, so carry on.)

• 4Like
Reactions:
I have never understood why people care so much about what colour a country is on a map. I mean, the USSR turning red makes sense but it wouldn't really functionally change anything if it didn't.

(But fortuitously, I am not the Arbiter of Permissible Things to Care About, so carry on.)

Exactly. A very small thing to bother with. And in any case I bet it will be a moddable thing, if pink Portugal is one's fancy, there will be a mod for that. Otherwise its just another thread with tons of "agree/resp. disagree" struggles to confuse the devs and keep our eyes off the ball.

Reactions:

Let me explain to you, the country color of the map is important on a map-game, we humans associate certain countries with certain colors, that's why it's so important to use the correct colors. When I look at Britain, I associate with red, the US and France? Blue, etc. It also makes the game look good and more importantly immersive. That's what I expect from the "political mapmode", to use the correct colors of the countries to represent them on the map. Not random stuff.

. A very small thing to bother with. And in any case I bet it will be a moddable thing, if pink Portugal is one's fancy, there will be a mod for that. Otherwise its just another thread with tons of "agree/resp. disagree" struggles to confuse the devs and keep our eyes off the ball.
It's all the small things and details that will make this a good game. Anyway, the excuse of "it will be a moddable thing" as a fix of this tiny issue is a bit insulting and lazy, also probably not going to be iroman compatible...
where I have seen the excuse of "oh just mod it if you don't like it"

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.