Portugal: Here we go again

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If i'm not wrong, green stands for the Bragança Dynasty. At least it is what the green in the flag of Brazil mean.
You are correct, green stands for the Bragança Dynasty especially in Brazil case.

In Portugal case, I'm sure the republicans didn't used green because it reminded them of the Bragança Dynasty :p .

Reactions:
Light Blue portugal lets go

1621731556036.png

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Portugal will be green because it was green in other PDX games. Honestly I suspect thats it, at this point PDX fans have come to expect that Portugal is green, and the devs are basing the decision on that. I do support changing it to blue though, for what its worth.

Reactions:
Let me explain to you, the country color of the map is important on a map-game, we humans associate certain colors with certain countries,

Uh, as I said, you are completely free to care about this issue, but I am actually human and not a sophisticated doesn't-care-if-Britain-is-red-or-blue-or-sparkly-orange bot, and yet I can assure you I do not associate certain colours with certain countries.

(I genuinely have no idea what colour Canada is in Vicky 1 or 2 despite sinking thousands of hours into them. I think Quebec is green? Maybe?)

Reactions:
Why don't make it pink? Remember Mapa cor-de-rosa?
1621758254910.png

But I guess green is more traditional cartography choice:
1621758370587.png

There are many green/yellow/red Portugals on XIX century maps, but I failed to find blue ones. Colours should be in harmony too and green works perfectly instead of both blue France and Portugal. Brazil and Portugal with different colours looks wrong too for me..

• 6Like
Reactions:
Then make france green?
It's not blue on the map above aswell.

First image hit when you google map:
world-map.gif

Variety of maps have a different colours.
Brazil and Portugal are different political entities during victoria timeline. No reason to share colour.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Portugal will be green because it was green in other PDX games. Honestly I suspect thats it, at this point PDX fans have come to expect that Portugal is green, and the devs are basing the decision on that. I do support changing it to blue though, for what its worth.
That's a myth. Only in EU and Victoria series you end up with a green Portugal forever. In HOI4 you have blue and green Portugal (kinda ironic), in CK series, Portugal is neither green or blue, it's brown (only god knows why). So the argument "it should be green because it was green in other PDX games" is pretty irrelevant and has little logic behind it.
I wont comment if "PDX fans have come to expect that Portugal is green" because I can't speak for the whole community and read their minds. I can say my personal opinion, I expected green Portugal, why? Because well...I expect little love/care about Portugal coming from Paradox.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I'm starting to feel some people aren't getting it, this is not to make Portugal blue forever, it's to make it blue as a monarchy and when it changes to any other ideology, it turns green.
Similar
to Russia, the normal color is green, but if they turn communist it turns them into red. In hoi4 that's what happens, you start green, but if you turn back into a monarchy, you turn into a nice blue as Portugal.
It's not ahistorical, in fact it's way more correct (it doesn't take too long to dig evidences up), other franchises use it, it doesn't look bad, we are still maintaining green Portugal...just good things.

The only problem I'm yet to see brought up, is if Vic3 will allow your country to switch colors by changing ideology. (it would be a bit of a disappointment if it didn't)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Portugal might be green to avoid having too many colonists of Africa similar color.
If France, Prussia, Portugal and USA were all different shades blue and they all chose to colonize a bit of Africa it would turn into bordergore.
Not saying that's how it should be, but it might be one of the reason's why they chose green rather than blue.

Reactions:
Portugal is probably green because it's green in EU4/Vicky2. Which, you know, isn't a great argument, and I hope it changes before release. I also hope the Ottomans get a sort of reddish brown, but that's just because I really like their colour in Empire; Total War.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Green Portugal is canon.

It makes a great contrast with other colonial powers, it has low chances of being confused with Russia or even Ottos, it's just great.

With light blue it just looks like France B, horrible.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Green Portugal is canon.

It makes a great contrast with other colonial powers, it has low chances of being confused with Russia or even Ottos, it's just great.

With light blue it just looks like France B, horrible.

A big resounding NO in all you wrote
It's not "canon".

There are no issues on HoI IV with the blue they use. There should not be any here with contrast.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The only colors i can imagine for Portugal besides green is a light greyish blue or bordeaux (the same as football national team). But blue is already used for France and bordeaux is just another red, that can be confused with Britain or Austria-Hungary. In colonization it will be strange since portuguese colonies in Africa borders french and british colonies. From the gameplay point of view, green is ideal.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The only colors i can imagine for Portugal besides green is a light greyish blue or bordeaux (the same as football national team). But blue is already used for France and bordeaux is just another red, that can be confused with Britain or Austria-Hungary. In colonization it will be strange since portuguese colonies in Africa borders french and british colonies. From the gameplay point of view, green is ideal.
Have you seen HoI IV? Dark blue is distinct and does not get confused with anything.

Using the modern national futebol team equipement to justify colour is not a good argument.

Reactions:
I don't have HOI 4. I searched in google for Portugal and it's green. Some Portugal-Brazil union are green and others blue. And maybe bad lucky of mine but i think every pic of blue Portugal is at night. Also the game have strange shaders and graphics so i don't know exactly what is the correct color

• 3Like
Reactions:
I don't have HOI 4. I searched in google for Portugal and it's green. Some Portugal-Brazil union are green and others blue. And maybe bad lucky of mine but i think every pic of blue Portugal is at night. Also the game have strange shaders and graphics so i don't know exactly what is the correct color
Going with the Monarchy path turns Portugal into a dark blue.
394360_screenshots_20200512183948_1.jpg

You can also see France there, and no issue with telling them apart.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.