Portugal: Here we go again

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe in the future those "flat map colors" should have some "pattern" to it, like a faint national flag/symbol or whatever. That way it won't just come down to color, and it's not such a big problem if the colors are vaguely the same. Though it might look weird, guess that have to be tried out first.

sorta.png

(ya ya I'm lazy and no graphics designer)

Last edited:
  • 3Love
Reactions:
If I were having trouble telling those colors apart (and they seem distinct to me), I would make sure to click on whatever the market mapmode is and check when I wasn't sure. It clearly says "Portuguese Market" and "French Market" so you can also just read it if you aren't sure (although that does discriminate against the illiterate and seeing impaired communities, come on Paradox be better).

Doesn't seem like a huge deal, I'm happy that we don't have green Portugal to start!

• 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Maybe in the future those "flat map colors" should have some "pattern" to it, like a faint national flag/symbol or whatever. That way it won't just come down to color, and it's not such a big problem if the colors are vaguely the same. Though it might look weird, guess that have to be tried out first.
I had never thought of something like this before, but it is beautiful! I really love your design. I thought of an idea! Perhaps the higher you are ranked as a great power, the fancier your nation might appear on the map (stronger 'embroidered pattern' effect). Non great powers would appear in normal colors.

Here's how Austria might look:
WjisExk.png

Er it turned out a little uglier than yours, but imagine all the beautiful eagles (two-headed or otherwise) emblazoned over the earth. (Russia, Prussia, and Austria)

• 1Love
Reactions:
This thread already has some age.
But I like to share a update with everyone here.View attachment 745558

Some hours ago, Martin posted this on his twitter. ( )
If you look at the map you will noticed that Portugal is blue. Although this is probably the market map mode, pretty much every market showed in the screenshot has the country main colour on the political map mode we got so far...

I think it's safe to assume that we did it.

tenor.gif

• 5Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:

View attachment 746017

This might make it hard to see the underlying terrain if the map gradually fades out and the terrain fades in if you zoom. But nice idea!

Reactions:
With the amount of countries we have compared to the colors actually available, this is much more of a tall order than you might think, especially for a country with a global presence like Portugal that is 'near' dozens of other countries. We also don't want to just completely ignore national colors associated with certain countries when assigning map colors.
Honestly green was okay and yes it's way harder to discern Portugal with that blue color. Besides, Portugal is not that of a relevant country during that time... We're not out of the woods yet if we have to listen to every nationalist that wants the right color for its country... Do I complain that my country, Belgium, has that beige color that does not rely to anything historical for us? No, because it's not as important as having a proper distinction between the countries...

Reactions:
Honestly green was okay and yes it's way harder to discern Portugal with that blue color. Besides, Portugal is not that of a relevant country during that time... We're not out of the woods yet if we have to listen to every nationalist that wants the right color for its country... Do I complain that my country, Belgium, has that beige color that does not rely to anything historical for us? No, because it's not as important as having a proper distinction between the countries...
There's so many things wrong here that I'm not even sure where to begin.

Ok. So for starters it was already establish how green Portugal was not any better than blue Portugal, it has the same "problems" of trying to be "distinct with other countries.". Manly due to the fact that Portugal has a global presence. Like Martin said, Portugal is literally near dozens of other countries, If one really wanted a colour to make Portugal "distinct" between other countries the best one available is...probably purple. Wilcoxchar made a really good case on it. Not a colour associated with Portugal at all tho.
The argument of "portugal is not that relevant in vic3 timeframe" doesn't justify giving a wrong and bad presentation of Portugal in any meaningful way, especially when the community voices their concern about it and the devs are now aware of it. Also Portugal might not have a impact like in eu4 timeframe, but nevertheless it was still relevant.
Now don't distorce the dev's argument. Not wanting to ignore national colours associated with certain countries isn't equal to "listen to every nationalist that wants the right color for its country". Also what is this with nationalists? I support red ottos, does that mean Im suddenly a Turkish nationalist for wanting that colour, that is clearly associated with that country? Heck no.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Not wanting to ignore national colours associated with certain countries isn't equal to "listen to every nationalist that wants the right color for its country". Also what is this with nationalists? I support red ottos, does that mean Im suddenly a Turkish nationalist for wanting that colour, that is clearly associated with that country? Heck no.

Besides, does something stop being correct just because a nationalist supports it? I would rather listen to the merit of the argument.

Reactions:
There's so many things wrong here that I'm not even sure where to begin.

Ok. So for starters it was already establish how green Portugal was not any better than blue Portugal, it has the same "problems" of trying to be "distinct with other countries.". Manly due to the fact that Portugal has a global presence. Like Martin said, Portugal is literally near dozens of other countries, If one really wanted a colour to make Portugal "distinct" between other countries the best one available is...probably purple. Wilcoxchar made a really good case on it. Not a colour associated with Portugal at all tho.
The argument of "portugal is not that relevant in vic3 timeframe" doesn't justify giving a wrong and bad presentation of Portugal in any meaningful way, especially when the community voices their concern about it and the devs are now aware of it. Also Portugal might not have a impact like in eu4 timeframe, but nevertheless it was still relevant.
Now don't distorce the dev's argument. Not wanting to ignore national colours associated with certain countries isn't equal to "listen to every nationalist that wants the right color for its country". Also what is this with nationalists? I support red ottos, does that mean Im suddenly a Turkish nationalist for wanting that colour, that is clearly associated with that country? Heck no.
I'm just saying the distinction between Portugal and France IS now harder to make and they will probably be adjacent in Africa. We don't all have eagle eyes, I'm sorry. At first glance, those two countries look the same to me. Vision is personal but I'm pretty sure I won't be the only one to have that problem. (Btw, for people that advise to take a vision test, wtf is wrong with you?)

Paradox should aim for the best color distinction and NOT for the "most accurate" color for a country just to please a certain crowd or people from the said country. And red ottoman shares the exact same problem with UK, you know it. Best solutions are: let you choose your color or mod it. Sorry to come out harsh on this but fighting over colors for a country for historical accuracy because it was "monarchist" and not a republic in place of looking for the best game color distribution is what is wrong here, not my post.

Reactions:
I'm just saying the distinction between Portugal and France IS now harder to make and they will probably be adjacent in Africa. We don't all have eagle eyes, I'm sorry. At first glance, those two countries look the same to me. Vision is personal but I'm pretty sure I won't be the only one to have that problem.
Well Idk, to me they look different and in the case of green it's harder for me to tell the diference of the other's green colonizers and countries nearby. Like you said vision is personal, and we had both sides testify it. The only thing I can arrive as conclusion from this is thank god colours aren't the only thing you can use to tell a countries apart. You can read their name or click on the province if it's too tiny.
(Btw, for people that advise to take a vision test, wtf is wrong with you?)
I'm a bit confused here, in which part I have insulted/advise someone to take a vision test just now? I merely agreed with his argument and used it, if you really wanted to make Portugal distinct with other countries, it would be purple. I cannot deny it, he made a really good case on it and his arguments have merit to it.
Paradox should aim for the best color distinction and NOT for the "most accurate" color for a country just to please a certain crowd or people from the said country. And red ottoman shares the exact same problem with UK, you know it. Best solutions are: let you choose your color or mod it. Sorry to come out harsh on this but fighting over colors for a country for historical accuracy because it was "monarchist" and not a republic in place of looking for the best game color distribution is what is wrong here, not my post.
Now that's something debatable and I believe the dev's already responded to this, that's not a reasonable standard at all. For all colors to be absolute distinct you would need to be very careful when selecting each and ignore relation to national colors, which is a giant downside as far as immersion is concerned and other problems. And that's no small task, it's a demanding task, considering that Portugal and other colonizers (and potencial colonizers) all have global presence and can border each other. The dev's said themselves.
I would even go so far and say it's a neo impossible task. While we had many IRL maps here where colours were "distinct", they had so many issues. The maps had no personalty nor any immersion, they also quickly fail at their only purpose, not only using a lack of different colours but the moment you would unpaused the game borders would change, making it a horrible scenario. These maps were made with fixed borders in mind, so it was possible to make them.

That standard is not viable, a really bad one, and subjective to any type of personal change. For some certain people some colours are better, for other's aren't. Some are more sensitive to tell blue's apart, other's aren't but can do that with green. Then this is a game from 1836 to 1936, needles to say borders changed a lot in 100 years, so it's hard enough to arrange colours to tell them apart in 1836 start, it's even harder to prepare them for the future years. Now you even have to consider the games wont be like reality and we will have ahistorical outcomes, like spain colonizing africa and end up bordering belgium for example. I can tell them apart but for some it's harder for them. This is a nightmare mission.
So this is something that PDX should not aim as their primary goal. It's better to pick the national colours for certain countries and from there slowly paint the map. Of course I agree they should keep it in mind when selecting colours, which they clearly do keep in mind while trying not to ignore national colours.

Bruh, If red ottos share the same problem with pink UK than I dont know what to tell you. We literally have a in game print of red denmark bordering the British market, and you can tell them apart. So how would a darker red for ottos make it have a problem with the UK? I can only see a potencial problem with the British raj in asia.
This only contributes to my point that it's a impossible task to have the standard be "make every colour the most distinct possible", since green ottos also have problems with other countries nearby.

Reactions:
I'm a bit confused here, in which part I have insulted/advise someone to take a vision test just now? I merely agreed with his argument and used it, if you really wanted to make Portugal distinct with other countries, it would be purple. I cannot deny it, he made a really good case on it and his arguments have merit to it.
Do not worry, you're not the one I'm talking about. There's a post in this thread suggesting this though.

Bruh, If red ottos share the same problem with pink UK than I dont know what to tell you. We literally have a in game print of red denmark bordering the British market, and you can tell them apart. So how would a darker red for ottos make it have a problem with the UK? I can only see a potencial problem with the British raj in asia.
This only contributes to my point that it's a impossible task to have the standard be "make every colour the most distinct possible", since green ottos also have problems with other countries nearby.

Yes, reason why color priority should be chosen in relation to the country status (reason why I told Portugal did not matter that much during the XIXth century, in comparison with France for example). Great powers should pick a color first then secondary power, etc. While at the same time we should aim to keep a balanced distribution by region (western europe, america, etc). If you ask me, the color in victoria 2 (with blue prussia) was perfect for me.

I have seen this suggestion here around and I do like it. Maybe PDX can consider this for a future update. Let the player choose.
In this case CIV VI. Instead of running into the problem of what colours they should choose while trying to keep them different enough. They simply gave the player the power to choose which colour they want from 4 options. All of the options being national colours that we associated with certain countries.
So at the game start you can select your country colour. For example, for portugal we have:

kyuui.JPG

White and blue being the standard colour. It's a suggestion and it works well enough there. I'm not sure how it would work out in Vic3.

Reactions:
I have seen this suggestion here around and I do like it. Maybe PDX can consider this for a future update. Let the player choose.
In this case CIV VI. Instead of running into the problem of what colours they should choose while trying to keep them different enough. They simply gave the player the power to choose which colour they want from 4 options. All of the options being national colours that we associated with certain countries.
So at the game start you can select your country colour. For example, for portugal we have:

View attachment 746708

White and blue being the standard colour. It's a suggestion and it works well enough there. I'm not sure how it would work out in Vic3.
I don't think it would work in Victoria. The reason the jersey system works in Civ games is because you're guaranteed to only have a small number of civs on the map in a single game, so it's fine if you have f.e. Poland, Portugal, Australia, and America all having darkblue/white as one of their jerseys because not all of them are going to show up in every game. In Victoria you will have all the countries at game start or have a possibility of showing up in the game, so that wouldn't work.

Reactions:
I don't think it would work in Victoria. The reason the jersey system works in Civ games is because you're guaranteed to only have a small number of civs on the map in a single game, so it's fine if you have f.e. Poland, Portugal, Australia, and America all having darkblue/white as one of their jerseys because not all of them are going to show up in every game. In Victoria you will have all the countries at game start or have a possibility of showing up in the game, so that wouldn't work.
Sounds fair? I mean, what I was thinking is that you would still have a standard colour for countries, it wouldn't be random to prevent AI for selecting random colours. Effectively only the player would decide if a certain country changes colour or not.
You could even have options of "random colour" where the game would simply select a random scheme of colours for every country. I think it's possible to toy around with this.

Future engines should work to get a way from the static system of predefined tags with flags and colors that can't easily change during the game anyway. There's good reason why that should be more dynamic even if it's in a fixed scenario like a historic game.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.