Imperator: Rome - Heirs of Alexander and 2.0 Marius Announcement

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
10 euros for 5 mission trees and great wonders builder is quite expensive. I'm VERY reluctant to pay it, and I'll only be paying it to support them for their amazing work with 2.0. But I wouldn't pay 10 euros if it hadn't come with a massive rework, sorry. Just saying for future reference.
I mean that's how that system really works. You don't pay only for the dlc content. The price includes both the dlc and the free update and it's those that buy the dlc who pay for everyone else to enjoy the free content.

I personally don't mind that, at all. I'm happy to pay 10 bucks so that they are able to continue developing the game.

EDIT: and just for the record, I think that those custom missions, once they are well written, are actually a very interesting addition to the game and they set the narrative storyline for the campaign. From this dlc the Antigonid and Thracian missions look particularly interesting.

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions:
I've already said it before, but I find that a problem, as I don't support the DLC policy. I do want to pay them, but not for content that I won't use, the way it's now set up basically is like me telling them I want to pay for mission trees and music, while I actually want to pay for things like the UI overhaul and levy system, and would wish all their time went into things like that, not mission trees.

I will probably buy it at some point on sale anyway, for the music and wonders, but I simply can't buy something full price for the sake of supporting it when I don't want the product.
It makes no sense.
I prefer that they update core mechanics and give it to us "for free" than paying for core mechanics that needed to be changed and having to pay for it again, lol.

• 16Like
Reactions:
I mean that's how that system really works. You don't pay only for the dlc content. The price includes both the dlc and the free update and it's those that buy the dlc who pay for everyone else to enjoy the free content.

I personally don't mind that, at all. I'm happy to pay 10 bucks so that they are able to continue developing the game.
Agree with you. There are definitely overpriced DLCs in paradox games, but in this case, it's really a great deal, considering you get the important stuff for free and if you like the Diadochi and/or want to support the devs, you can choose to buy the DLC. But you are not forced, if you don't want and still want to enjoy the overall improvements. Very fair imo.

• 12Like
Reactions:
I've already said it before, but I find that a problem, as I don't support the DLC policy. I do want to pay them, but not for content that I won't use, the way it's now set up basically is like me telling them I want to pay for mission trees and music, while I actually want to pay for things like the UI overhaul and levy system, and would wish all their time went into things like that, not mission trees.

I will probably buy it at some point on sale anyway, for the music and wonders, but I simply can't buy something full price for the sake of supporting it when I don't want the product.
Though I don't like it neither, considering the important change from new systems like levy system, it would bring a much more significant difference between the edition with/without DLCs, and, consequencely, given that every paradox game will have many many DLCs, I have to pay more if they sell DLCs like what you said.
I also think several missions and wonder-building icon is not worthy of 9.9$, but I will buy it when a discount comes.

Reactions:

EDIT: and just for the record, I think that those custom missions, once they are well written, are actually a very interesting addition to the game that sets the narrative storyline for the campaign. From this dlc the Antigonid and Thracian missions look particularly interesting.
This

In the perspective of gameplay, they kinda are obligated to put the core mecanics in the Free patch or it creates two separate games (Actually 2^n games where n is the number of such DLC ). And thus, DLC are about non-essential things like Missions trees or some additional content

• 1Like
Reactions:

EDIT: and just for the record, I think that those custom missions, once they are well written, are actually a very interesting addition to the game and they set the narrative storyline for the campaign. From this dlc the Antigonid and Thracian missions look particularly interesting.
Yes. This reminds me that in the beginning of Roman Empire, soon after the Republic died, rich people in cities will donate a lot to the public welfare
lol

• 2Like
Reactions:
I've come to appreciate this model for DLCs, adding more optional content (like several Stellaris' DLCs), rather than exclusive pivotal features (EU4).

I would have bought this DLC whatever it included just as a way to support the game after 2.0, but I also find the Diadochi states very interesting countries to play.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Can we have more forum avatars, please?
I don't know if there is a SPQR flag on this forum and this game gives an opportunity for that.
EU:Rome has SPQR flags

Reactions:

Well officially its not how it works. In reality it is because they still have to be paid somehow for the free content. And as I said, I'll gladly pay for the massive 2.0 work and effort. I was just saying that if this DLC hadnt come with a major rework, there would be no way I'd be paying 10 euros for it just as I dont pay 10 euros for similar DLCs for EU4 that dont come with any major patch reworks. So all Im saying is that if this DLC had come with a patch with just some balance changes and very minor additions, I wouldn't buy the DLC for that price. It's also shared by more people that they want content in the form of unique culture/country/religion features, not just Missions, which is something people can mod.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm a bit surprised about the date. Since this is such an important release for the future of Imperator I was expecting a March release to get more time to polish it and to do an open beta and a dev clash.

That said I'm excited and looking forward to try out 2.0. Based on the dev diaries it looks like an amazing updated.

Reactions:
I've come to appreciate this model for DLCs, adding more optional content (like several Stellaris' DLCs), rather than exclusive pivotal features (EU4).

I would have bought this DLC whatever it included just as a way to support the game after 2.0, but I also find the Diadochi states very interesting countries to play.
Or even better, buy it from a link from Lambert. Win win :D

Reactions:
It makes no sense.
I prefer that they update core mechanics and give it to us "for free" than paying for core mechanics that needed to be changed and having to pay for it again, lol.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Why instead of missions they can't just give countries, cultures and religions unique mechancis? I think missions is a lazy way to give content, since missions is something that can be modded. EU4 does it. India gets their own religions and estate mechanics, Russia, Prussia, Merchant replubics get their own mechanics, China, Japan, Catholic Church, The HRE etc etc. I dont want to pay for more missions ONLY. Why can't we have mechanics for those specific countries etc for those who want to play them and pay for it? Its just content, no core mechanics. I want to have a unique experience playing the diadochi, so they feel like a different country. After this patch, they are going to feel the same as any other country, except youre gonna have a very cool and long story to role play with, but mechanically, its still gonna feel the same as any other country. I'm sorry but I dont think that's cool at all and I think its a missed opportunity to add uniqueness in the way those country play different to a random indian monarchy. No different laws, no different offices, no different government mechanics, no different anything. I don't know since I'm paying 10 euros, cool missions, but I'd really appreciate it if they added some tiny little mechanical changes to make them feel distinctive. If I become a monarchy as a Gaulish tribe its gonna play exactly the same. I don't know.

Im getting off topic here a bit but the point its not either having paid core mechanics or pay more for DLCs with core mechanics for free. It's just asking them to do what the rest of the PDX games do. Not only add missions. But unique mechanics too.

I mean it doesn't bother me greatly now and I do understand that they are short staffed and they have to use most of their people and resources to rework core mechanics and all they can afford to do for content is missions. I'm just hoping that in the future this changes as the game gets more polished and they start having time to do other things. In the meantime, while they do it, I'm willing to pay 20 pounds for 1 mission if needed to to keep the project and its bright future afloat. But it'd be nice if next DLC, the other studio would focus on the DLC on introducing specific mechanics for whoever is the target of the next content pac, for instance. It doesnt have to be much.

In the case of Seleucids. Instead of such a long mission tree in which they've invested a lot of time, and since they are introducing more subject types. Why couldnt they have introduced a unique Satrapy subject type for the Seleucids? I would've happily paid for that. And playing as them would've already felt different than playing as Macedon. Don't know

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
10 euros is a decent price for systems upgrades and new features. I'm ready to pay 10 for a game I like, or want to like and so need to fund the development.

15/20 is too much

Imo, if this doesn't sell well, expect imperator development to slow down or halt quickly.

Reactions:
It doesn't have to be one or the other. Why instead of missions they can't just give countries, cultures and religions unique mechancis? I think missions is a lazy way to give content, since missions is something that can be modded. EU4 does it. India gets their own religions and estate mechanics, Russia, Prussia, Merchant replubics get their own mechanics, China, Japan, Catholic Church, The HRE etc etc. I dont want to pay for more missions ONLY. Why can't we have mechanics for those specific countries etc for those who want to play them and pay for it? Its just content, no core mechanics. I want to have a unique experience playing the diadochi, so they feel like a different country. After this patch, they are going to feel the same as any other country, except youre gonna have a very cool and long story to role play with, but mechanically, its still gonna feel the same as any other country. I'm sorry but I dont think that's cool at all and I think its a missed opportunity to add uniqueness in the way those country play different to a random indian monarchy. No different laws, no different offices, no different government mechanics, no different anything. I don't know since I'm paying 10 euros, cool missions, but I'd really appreciate it if they added some tiny little mechanical changes to make them feel distinctive. If I become a monarchy as a Gaulish tribe its gonna play exactly the same. I don't know.

Im getting off topic here a bit but the point its not either having paid core mechanics or pay more for DLCs with core mechanics for free. It's just asking them to do what the rest of the PDX games do. Not only add missions. But unique mechanics too.

I mean it doesn't bother me greatly now and I do understand that they are short staffed and they have to use most of their people and resources to rework core mechanics and all they can afford to do for content is missions. I'm just hoping that in the future this changes as the game gets more polished and they start having time to do other things. In the meantime, while they do it, I'm willing to pay 20 pounds for 1 mission if needed to to keep the project and its bright future afloat. But it'd be nice if next DLC, the other studio would focus on the DLC on introducing specific mechanics for whoever is the target of the next content pac, for instance. It doesnt have to be much.

In the case of Seleucids. Instead of such a long mission tree in which they've invested a lot of time, and since they are introducing more subject types. Why couldnt they have introduced a unique Satrapy subject type for the Seleucids? I would've happily paid for that. And playing as them would've already felt different than playing as Macedon. Don't know
Now you've made a little bit of sense.
I don't care about missions too, I often forgot that they exist, but DLC is not just missions, there's Wonder Designer (I don't know if I like it), Deities, Treasures... among other things, but the most important that was not mentioned is the legion Honors & Dishonors, which I liked a lot.
Honors & Dishonors
distinction2.png
Throughout its lifetime a Legion will partake in many battles and may suffer defeats or win victories. Especially notable events may result in the Legion earning a distinction, something that marks its past deeds and the impact they have on the spirit of the Legion going forward. Sources of honors can be things like great battles, their leaders earning Triumphs, or capturing an important city. Dishonors on the other hand come from more deplorable actions, such as sacking a holy site, rampant looting, or embarrassing military defeats.

distinctionevent.png
When an Honor or Dishonor is attained, an event will pop to describe how this came to be.
Both Honors and Dishonors will leave permanent marks on the specific Legion, visible in the Legion interface and conferring a permanent bonus or penalty to it from that point on.
They will also have a name and a description that, together with the entry in the Legion’s history, will remind you how they were earned.

I think this is all worth $10, even more if you take into account how much you worked on the free update as well.
If you want to support or not, that's up to you.

• 4Like
Reactions:

Both things are possible - mission trees and more unique small mechanics for factions, but the price would increase I guess. But such faction mechanics are definitely a good idea imo.

Reactions: